LEONARDO - THE ABSOLUTE MAN

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations)

Various Genres

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) Leonardo - The Absolute Man album cover

Good, but non-essential

Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Apparition (5:42)
2. Aria For Italy (0:49)
3. With Father (1:48)
4. Reins Of Tuscan (5:49)
5. Reproach (1:11)
6. Mona Lisa (7:11)
7. Il Divino (3:22)
8. Inundation (1:07)
9. Apprentice (6:56)
10. First Commission (3:47)
11. Mother Of God (1:06)
12. This Time, This Way (6:05)
13. Inventions (5:13)
14. Shaping The Invisible (4:54)
15. Introduction To Francois 1 (1:20)
16. Heart Of France (5:57)
17. Sacrament (1:11)

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Leonardo - The Absolute Man lyrics

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Leonardo - The Absolute Man tabs

- Trent Gardner / keyboards, trombone
- Wayne Gardner / guitar
- Jeremy Colson / drums
- Patrick Reyes / guitar
- Steve Reyes / bass

WITH:
- Joe Franco / drums and orchestral percussion on 1, 12
- Luis Maldonaldo / guitar, bass on 12
- Vocalists for this original cast recording are James LaBrie, Davey Pattison, Michelle Young, Josh Pincus,Lisa Bouchelle, Mike Baker, Trent Gardner, Robert Berry, Steve Walsh, Chris Shryack, Bret Douglas

Magna Carta MAX-9029-2

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Leonardo - The Absolute Man Music

More places to buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) music online Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Leonardo - The Absolute Man ratings distribution

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Leonardo - The Absolute Man reviews

Review by Muzikman
3 stars Trent Gardner is becoming the absolute progressive artist by showing up on recent collaborations with Steve Walsh, Explorers Club, Mullmuzzler, several tribute albums, and his own group Magellan. The Absolute Man was a few years in the making, and anxiously anticipated by this writer. The entire larger-than-life recording is devoted to the life of Leonardo DaVinci. The main musicians are Trent Gardner (keyboards) Wayne Gardner (guitar), Patrick Reyes (bass), Steve Reyes (guitar), and Jeremy Colson (drums). Some of the special guests include James Labrie, Robert Berry, Steve Walsh, and Josh Pincus. All of them have their own groups and projects on other Magna Carta releases. Gardner gives an eloquent and intelligent tribute to DaVinci in the liner notes. He states that the music merely scratches the surface of DaVinci's greatness as an artist, inventor, scientist, and everything else that made him the absolute man.

Now on to the music, that's what this is really all about. The ultimate interpretive listening experience can speak volumes. How in the world do you convey the importance and greatness of an individual such as Leonardo DaVinci? Its not an easy task mind you. The point is driven home at the curtain call, as Gardner does a fine job leading the impressive cast of musicians down the road of Leonardo's storied life. It all begins with a regal and classical air with the instrumentals "Apparition" and "Aria For Italy." Gardner's keyboards lead the way and it all gives you a feeling of building suspense and emotion. Progressive music has a way of making those feelings happen rather quickly, and this CD is no exception. There are eighteen tracks in total on this CD. Just when you think that the atmosphere will change and become more intense it falls off. About half way through the CD the songs turn off into an almost pop like direction. I don't understand why this happened because the project really gathers a good head of steam and then it just stops. There are a few tracks towards the end were the magic is regained but something changes drastically at the point were the entire feeling and musical direction should be making an upswing. Perhaps I had far to long to wonder about what this was going to be like. I first heard of this project around two years ago and it intrigued me. For the amount of disappointment that I did feel there was more than enough satisfaction and great prog-rock to enjoy. I tip my hat to Trent Gardner for his adventuresome spirit and the courage to experiment and reach out to find new avenues for his creativity. There were times that this music sounded like Yes and Styx making a song together, it was very exciting. I expected much more, but you can't always anticipate what will develop during the course of recording when you place high expectations upon an album. That I take responsibility for, and I do realize that every album I listen to is not going to blow me away, although mostly all prog-rock music from Magna Carta does. This was worth the listen and the reflection upon a great man and a soul for the ages.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#18119) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 24, 2005

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Admin / Heavy Prog Team
2 stars We've seen it all before

Trent Gardner is a known name in the progressive rock community. The instigator of a large number of projects, bands, and supergroups, he is one of the more prolific members of the prog rock community (although not nearly as much as say Rick Wakeman or Senmuth). He is most well-known for his band Magellan, but he has also started the supergroup Explorer's Club, he has worked with James Labrie on his solo project MullMuzzler, he has worked with Jack Foster III for his solo project, and he has made a vast number of collaborative concept albums, which we have here. Leonardo: The Absolute Man is what the title implies: a concept album about the great scientist, inventor, artist, and thinker Leonardo Da Vinci. Gardner recruited a number of well-known prog rockers to make this album, including his former workmate James Labrie, his brother and bandmate Wayne Gardner, and Kansas veteran Steve Walsh. Gardner fills out the lineup with a large number of session musicians (most of whom are "nobodies" to the prog world). The music of the album sadly is quite similar to the vast majority of Gardner's other works: grandiose and complex (but overall kind of cheesy) compositions, full of lush synthesizer runs, wide soloing across the instrumental board, and powerful (but seemingly strained) vocals. This album, although containing some nice tracks, is very much just more of the same.

One thing that really annoys me across the board with Gardner's music is his insistence on using orchestral voices from his keyboard, most of which have a horribly cheesy MIDI twinge going for them. While the orchestral pieces Gardner writes may be symphonically and music theoretically phenomenal, full of lush counterpoint, various parts and movements, and other classic twists, the use of his keyboard to execute them irks me. If he can hire such a vast amount of singers and studio musicians, he could at least hire a few orchestral musicians!

The music that's not an attempt at classical on the album has a very similar vibe as the former. Gardner is obviously a wonderful progressive rock musician and composer, but his execution isn't the best there is, and I have to say mostly due to his keyboard atmospheres. The compositions in their own right aren't bad; they are traditional Gardner-esque compositions, full of compositional flares and influences from classic prog giants such with plenty of modern twists and turns thrown in. However, for some reason this style kind of grates on me. Although I enjoy much of Magellan's output, this album still has some cheesy quality that grate against my skin. Tracks like "Reins of Tuscan," "This Time, This Way," and "Inventions" are slightly better and are highlights for the album, but overall I feel the album is lacking in depth and quality.

In the end, the album isn't bad. It has a nice concept, a well-arranged production, and some really nice moments. Labrie does a great job vocally on this album, which can be a rare thing to find outside of his work with Dream Theater. Amongst the slew of tribute, concept, and supergroup albums Gardner has done, I can't say this is the best, but in the end it is a good album. 2+ stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#491746) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 28, 2011

5 stars This LEONARDO -THE ABSOLUTE MAN can be considered to be a culmination of TRENT GARDNER's imagination and capacities to compose somethimg really amazing!I think that any MAGALLAN album didn't had so much majesty and beauty like this album,the fruit of the brain of a very gifted musician ,surrou ... (read more)

Report this review (#259782) | Posted by Ovidiu | Thursday, January 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Oh my God how can this be possible? A really nice piece of art and has very few reviews!!! Ok the sound on this record isn't cristal clear but the music really deserves a listening. Here the medieval-feel has been very well developed. There are memorable parts (the trumpet phrase on Apparition) ... (read more)

Report this review (#113543) | Posted by EliasMisael | Monday, February 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I can`t say it is the most great album of the prog Histry, but it sounds good, it hasn't that thing that makes a great album come to an EXCELLENT album, but, wethever, is good. If we think that Lenardo is one of the most amazing man in the History, this album make something to catch somepart of ... (read more)

Report this review (#44948) | Posted by CGH Tompkins | Tuesday, August 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars There's a kind of cosmic harmony at play here: "Leonardo -- The Absolute Man" is an ambitious, far-reaching work of art about an ambitious, far-reaching artist. This remarkable record is a progressive rock opera about visionary Renaissance man Leonardo DaVinci, composed by creative Magellan main ... (read more)

Report this review (#18118) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 06, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This project is one of the best concept album I ever heard. Wonderful, in the music and in the lyrics. The balance between the band members is perfect! Listen to it and have an idea of what is a modern progessive concept album. ... (read more)

Report this review (#18117) | Posted by Progrob74 | Monday, January 05, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) "Leonardo - The Absolute Man"