RETURNING JESUS

Buy NO-MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Only Rain (7:24)
2. No Defence (5:20)
3. Close Your Eyes (8:25)
4. Carolina Skeletons (5:08)
5. Outside The Machine (5:46)
6. Returning Jesus (5:19)
7. Slow It All Down (3:42)
8. Lighthouse (8:12)
9. All That You Are (4:44)

Search NO-MAN Returning Jesus lyrics

- Rick Edwards / percussion
- David Kosten / synthesizer and cymbal
- Theo Travis / saxophone and flute

3rd Stone Ltd. STONE 038CD CD

NO-MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NO-MAN Returning Jesus Music

Love & EndingsLove & Endings
EMI Import 2012
Dry Cleaning RayDry Cleaning Ray
3rd Stone Records 2005
The Rose of No Man's Land by Jack Caddigan & James A. Brennan 1918 Sheet Music US $4.50 [0 bids]
56m 22s
Captain Barkey "Mr. Right Size" and Ninja Kid & Hornsman "No Man Can't" US $1.99 [0 bids]
Billy Joel - No Man's Land - All About Soul - Lot of two (2) cd singles US $1.99 [0 bids]
2h
Hidden Art Sampler CD... No Man, Tim Bowness, Bass Communion, Cipher... US $20.00 [0 bids]
3h
NO-MAN**WILD OPERA**2 CD SET US $11.95 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Ella Fitzgerald Let No Man Write My Epitaph Classic LP Sealed US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
CHARLIE PEACOCK - NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 5h 18m
CASSETTE TAPE BILLY JOEL THE RIVER OF DREAMS NO MAN'S LAND SINGLE* 1993 OOP RARE US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 50m
JOHNNY MATHIS - EVERY STEP OF THE WAY // NO MAN CAN STAND ALONE - 45 MINT- US $3.75 [0 bids]
TANYA TUCKER Would You Lay With Me / No Man's Land 45 US $9.29 Buy It Now 6h 59m
No Man's Land David Holmes 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK GODX133 GO DISCS US $20.69 Buy It Now 8h 9m
2 og Chicano rap cds lil robs crazy life and Spanish fly trust no man US $5.99 [0 bids]
Danny Scholl - No Man Is An Island 45 Vg Autographed US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 9m
TEST PRESSING* Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island *ITALO DISCO* Crazy RARE!! 1984 US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Flowermouth - No-man New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.58 Buy It Now 9h 36m
M-3 CD Roger Miller & brothers MIssion of Burma sealed new Sproton Layer No Man US $2.99 [0 bids]
No Man CD How The West Was Won sealed new US SST Mission of Burma Roger Miller US $2.99 [0 bids]
A SEPARATE REALITY let no man put asunder 7" 2 track (hard1) pic slv - hard disc US $8.29 Buy It Now 11h 7m
2.2 No Man / First Klass 12" Blu Inc 1996 US $16.60 Buy It Now 11h 37m
NO-MAN (UK) - FLOWERMOUTH - NEW CD US $15.78 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Star Trek Televison Soundtrack 1985 Cassette Tape The Cage Where No Man Has Gone US $7.80 Buy It Now 13h 26m
No-Man - Flowermouth [CD New] US $18.79 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Bus Boys - Money Don't Make No Man (1988 Voss/Allegiance Records) Used Vinyl LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 15h
BEVERLEY KNIGHT - NO MAN'S LAND - 2007 UK CD SINGLE US $3.31 Buy It Now 15h 9m
WILMA BURGESS- MISTY BLUE / AINT GOT NO MAN US $15.99 Buy It Now 15h 29m
Alexander Courage Star Trek - "The Cage" And "Where No Man Has Gone Before" LP US $19.92 Buy It Now 16h 8m
WARP~NO MAN IS AN ISLAND~PRISM ELECTRO FUNK CLASSIC 12" *NM PROMO WHITE LABEL* US $4.99 [0 bids]
No-Man - Dry Cleaning Ray [CD New] US $18.98 Buy It Now 19h 17m
Ester James No Man is Above the Law Faith 501 Vinyl Lp N/Mint US $14.98 Buy It Now 19h 23m
90'S 45 Billy Joel - The River Of Dreams / No Man'S Land On Columbia US $5.00 Buy It Now 19h 32m
BILLY JOEL No man's Land PROMO DJ CD Single w/LYRICS 93 US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 39m
LENE LOVICH, NO MAN'S LAND - LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 19h 56m
Henry Fool - Men Singing (CD 2013) No-Man/Roxy Music US $3.44 [2 bids]
NO -MAN - DRY CLEANING RAY NEW CD US $25.04 Buy It Now 20h 39m
NO MAN EYES - HOLLOW MAN - NEW CD US $12.14 Buy It Now 20h 48m
NO-MAN - Speak *LP 180g on Tonefloat* STEVEN WILSON Porcupine TREE US $44.95 Buy It Now 21h 32m
NO-MAN - Schoolyard Ghosts *2LP 180g on Tonefloat* STEVEN WILSON Porcupine TREE US $49.95 Buy It Now 21h 32m
NO-MAN - Returning Jesus *3LP 180gsm on Tonefloat* STEVEN WILSON Porcupine TREE US $54.95 Buy It Now 21h 32m
Time and Tide Wait For No Man MUSIC CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 21h 54m
Pop Promo Nm! 45 Sergio Franchi - No Man Is An Island / No Man Is An Island On M US $5.00 Buy It Now 22h 10m
Billy Joel - No Man's Land - Scarce UK/ European 3trk CD US $8.29 Buy It Now 22h 15m
FIRST CHOICE Let No Man Put Asunder *PROMO* S. Pettibone + F. Knuckles Rmx HEAR US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h 16m
LENE LOVICH, No-Man's-Land, EPIC US $1.99 [0 bids]
BOB SEGER AGAINST THE WIND//NO MAN'S LAND USA PRESSING EX- US $13.00 Buy It Now 23h 8m
Don Cornell No Man Is An Island / All At Once 7" 45 rpm Coral 9-61253 VG+ US $2.90 Buy It Now 1 day
1963 Johnny Mathis Every Step Of The Way / No Man Can Stand Alone 45 rpm NM US $2.90 Buy It Now 1 day
SINEAD O'CONNOR - NO MAN'S WOMAN 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS285 # US $0.99 [0 bids]
LENE LOVICH NO MANS LAND NO-MAN'S-LAND ARE 38399 STIFF EPIC RECORD LP VINYL COVE US $1.99 [0 bids]
Soul 45 Johnny Mathis - No Man Can Stand Alone / Every Step Of The Way On Columb US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
HEVIA-TIERRA DE NADIE/NO MAN'S LAND-ADVANCE PROMO CD-RARE-CELTIC-Bagpipes-1999 US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Johnny Mathis 45 rpm Every Step Of the Way & No Man Can Stand Alone Columbia US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Times Waits for No Man No Time to Play - No Turn Around US $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
LP REGGAE: BLACKA RANKS No Man Government 1994 LEGENDARY RECORDS ** LISTEN ** US $9.95 [0 bids]
Trust No Man by Spanish F.L.Y. (CD, Apr-1996, Familia Records) Chicano rap US $2.99 [0 bids]
Billy Joel - No Man's Land (special radio CD) US $19.79 Buy It Now 1 day
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12" WBMX Disco Chicago House Music New York Garage US $3.99 [0 bids]
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12 WBMX Disco Acapella House Music New York Garage US $3.99 [0 bids]
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts 180gm 2x12' White Marbled Vinyl LP + 7" Vinyl Single US $44.78 [0 bids]
Jacques Higelin No Man's Land LP 1978 NEAR MINT ORIG IMPORT PRESSING WITH INSERT US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GENE AUTRY CHAMPION-THE HORSE NO MAN COULD RIDE (COLUMBIA ZSP 6417) FOLK STORY US $9.99 [0 bids]
WARP 9-NO MAN IS AN ISLAND~ELECTRO 12**LISTEN US $1.49 [0 bids]
No Man Taking It Like A Man 1994 Trance, Ambient, Vinyl, 12" Rare US $2.99 [0 bids]
Miss Lady Pinks / Trust No Man CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island/Light Years Away [Vinyl New] US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ELLA FITZGERALD LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH LP MGV-4043 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BEVERLEY KNIGHT. NO MAN'S LAND PROMO CD SINGLE . US $1.64 [0 bids]
BILLY JOEL. NO MAN'S LAND RARE CD SINGLE. US $1.64 [0 bids]
Souls of Mischief - No Man's Land Cassette BRAND NEW Rare RAP US $9.99 [0 bids]
NO-MAN Housewives 1996 UK 3rd Stone CD porcupine tree US $59.00 Buy It Now 1 day
" NO MAN IS AN ISLAND. " movement. BALLISTIC RECORDS 12in 1980. US $8.22 [1 bids]
Over Yonder Where The Lilies Grow /The Rose Of No Man's Land Burr/Donovan 78 RPM US $6.00 [0 bids]
Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land / Rose of Belgium Edna Brown /Hart 78 RPM US $5.50 [0 bids]
Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land / Rose of Belgium Edna Brown /Hart 78 RPM US $6.00 [0 bids]
Sam Lanin : No Man's Mama : Clap Hands, Here Comes Charley Perfect 14544 US $2.00 [0 bids]
NO-MAN - Radio EP (2008 promo CD)**SIGNED** Bowness, S Wilson, Porcupine Tree US $69.78 [0 bids]
45 RECORD WILMA BURGESS MISTY BLUE, AINT GOT NO MAN US $2.60 Buy It Now 2 days
Busboys Money Dont Make No Man CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Rasco "Time Waits For No Man"2x LP Peanut Butter Wolf Planet Asia BT Cali Agents US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LENE LOVICH - NO MAN'S LAND LP. STIFF EPIC/CBS RECORDS 1982. Vinyl US $3.99 [0 bids]
Whamon Express by No Man (US) (Cassette, SST) 1990 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
45 CORNELL CAMPBELL - NO MAN'S LAND (GIBBS) JAMAICAN ISSUE REGGAE SINGLE!! E US $6.23 Buy It Now 2 days
ESTHER JAMES NO MAN IS ABOVE THE LAW ANSWERS I HAVE KEPT THE FAITH LP SEALED!!! US $3.99 [1 bids]
NO MAN EYES - HOLLOW MAN - PMZ081CD US $17.51 Buy It Now 2 days
VICTOR PERAINO'S KINGDOM COME - NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $33.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Billy Joel The River of Dreams/ No Man's Land 45 rpm EX US $1.99 [0 bids]
Star Trek The Cage + Where No Man TV Soundtrack *MINT* A1 B1 UK LP PRT NM US $16.60 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man CD Whamon Express sealed new US SST Mission of Burma Roger Miller US $2.99 [0 bids]
No Man's Land "The Best Of " oi indonesia skinhead punk ACAB The Oppressed US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man's Woman [CD New] US $36.62 Buy It Now 2 days
WARP 9 12' SINGLE: 1984 PRISM: "NO MAN IS AN ISLAND" REMIX 7.50/ DUB 7.30 VG! US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man-Win Instantly! US orig' SEALED SST LP 1989 Mission of Burma US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man No Man's Band-Damage the Enemy US SEALED New Alliance LP Mission of Burma US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN'S LAND: Savage Brides LP (Australia) Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CD Bitch with No Man Somethin' for the People Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CD Bitch with No Man Somethin' for the People Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CDP John Michael Montgomery:No Man's Land [DJ Promo Single] US $7.00 [0 bids]
SOMETHIN' FOR THE PEOPLE - B**CH! WITH NO MAN 4TRK PROMO CD CS367 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Flowermouth, No Man, Good Import US $21.40 Buy It Now 2 days
BOB SEGER 7" Picture Sleeve 45 "AGAINST THE WIND" #5 1980 b/w "NO MAN'S LAND" NM US $1.99 [1 bids]
DON CORNELL "NO MAN IS AN ISLAND" 45 RPM US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy NO-MAN music online Buy NO-MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NO-MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NO-MAN Returning Jesus ratings distribution

NO-MAN Returning Jesus reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars Interesting, dreamy, delicately intricate. Lots of low key descriptors would fit. No thrashing on this. Steve Wilson's waves of brilliant mellotron, Tim Bowness' angelic voice , as well as the sweetly accented horn playing of Ian Carr and Ian Dixon. Steve Jansen provides a percussive backdrop for a seductive mix sure to make you light a candle and set the lights to low.

Fans of SW's more ambient nature will LOVE this. It'll also appeal to David Sylvian fans.

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#18230) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 27, 2004

Review by Greger
4 stars I feel inner warmth every time I hear the music of English band NO-MAN. It's sooths my soul and ease my pain. It's like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. No-one is a progressive two men pop band consisting of the two PORCUPINE TREE members Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson. Tim Bowness vocals are gently and it softly touches your consciousness. His voice is a blend of Hugh Cornwell (ex. STRANGLERS), Paddy McAloon (PREFAB SPROUT) and David Sylvian and the music is as dreamy as any Angelo Badalamenti composition. It's hard to describe the beauty of the music, but mentioning the quieter moments of David Sylvian is close at hands, blended with some soft jazz. The jazz influences are much because of Ian Carr's (NUCLEUS) magnificent trumpet playing. Jesus has returned in the shape of NO-MAN. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#18231) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2004

4 stars This is probably my favourite NO-MAN record.

There's some good variety on this one, and i couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Ian Carr was playing trumpet on the first track "Only Rain". Ian Carr was the leader of the legendary band NUCLEUS, which was one of the first Jazz / Fusion bands and one of my favourites as well. There is some good synths on this atmospheric song as well. "No Defence" features more trumpet and some good guitar in the background. "Close Your Eyes" is a terrific song with percussion throughout and an abundance of flugelhorn.

"Carolina Skeletons" i'm sure is known to some from the EP it was previously released on 3 years before. Great tune. "Outside The Machine" features some jazzy drum work, and is an ok song.The title track takes some time to grow on you but it will. "Slow It All Down" is a great instrumental with sax courtesy of Theo Travis, some more flugelhorn and synths. "Lighthouse" is one of the best NO-MAN songs ever, it's PORCUPINE TREE sounding with some beautiful flute and organ. "All That You Are" is another amazing tune. It has such a full sound.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#101756) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Review by russellk
4 stars I've really not been looking forward to this review, as I can't make up my mind about this album.

"Slow it all down", BOWNESS sings on 'Returning Jesus', and they do. This album is almost completely devoid of any dance sensibilities, being rather a collection of ambient and minimalist ballads. Any slower and they'd be going backwards. NO-MAN was once layers of rich sound backing BOWNESS's laconic vocals: now the music is as laconic as the words.

The consensus among reviewers is that 'Returning Jesus' is one of NO-MAN's strongest - if not the strongest - album. Not for me. I've tried to pin down exactly why, given the delicate soundscapes WILSON and BOWNESS gift us with, , but I suspect it's nothing more than paling by comparison to 'Flowermouth' and 'Together We're Stranger'.

The opening two tracks pass by without a murmur of interest. They seem barely alive. It's not until 'Close Your Eyes' that I find myself captured: what a beautiful track, simple but with a lovely recurring three-note motif and (yes, yes, yes, he cried) a slow build of the sort I'd feared we'd never see again from this band. 'Carolina Skeletons' is an excellent single, all bones and elbows, but we've already seen both these tracks two years previously. 'Outside the Machine' is worthwhile without being spectacular, the music little more than a framework for BOWNESS's message of rejection: "I don't need you." 'Returning Jesus' and 'Slow it all Down' are really one track, forming the gracious, shimmering core of the album, followed by 'Lighthouse', my favourite track here. Interestingly, this was in existence in demo form in 1994 - and it shows. Would have been right at home on 'Flowermouth' or even 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. In fact, I think I hear THE ORB in there somewhere too. 'All That You Are', a beautiful single, closes the album. Oddly, this single was not released until after the next album.

So lots of good stuff. Some great stuff even. Why am I so uneasy then?

See, by now PORCUPINE TREE had evolved from a self-confessed joke band through space-rock to an increasingly tight crossover prog band, a real player on the global stage. NO-MAN was the poor relation. Listening to this album, I have the feeling that we don't get as much of STEVEN WILSON as we have the right to expect. Certainly not given these songs were up to seven years in the making. Kudos for WILSON for not abandoning the project, especially in the light of what was to come, but I can't help wondering what he might have made of some of these tracks had this still been his main project. Perhaps they'd be exactly the same.

It doesn't make sense, but unaccountably, every time I reach the end of this album, I feel disappointed. A curmudgeonly three stars, though my head tells me it's worth four. No, I've changed my mind. Four stars. Too beautiful for three.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#144926) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After the more dance and trip-hop oriented album Wild Opera, Returning Jesus revisited the style and sound of Flowermouth, meaning balladry sadness extended with soft jazz elements and mildly progressive and ambient influences.

Returning Jesus was one of the first No-Man albums that came under the attention of the growing numbers of Porcupine Tree fans in 2001 but it didn't seem to appeal massively. Also for me it hasn't been a stable love affair. Just as on Flowermouth there are stellar moody rock songs such as the opening track Only Rain, but those songs have to indulge the presence of lesser ballads such No Defense and Caronlina Skeletons

As with most No-man's albums Tim Bowness continues to be the stumbling block. Depending on the song, his affected way of singing can be entirely heartfelt and compelling, as much as it can sound contrived and tedious. He's a limited vocalist and needs the best possible material in order to shine. A more dynamic singer could have made Close Your Eyes into a compelling ballad, but Bowness keeps the mood too samey and tame.

Returning Jesus is a good atmospheric rock album with some outstanding moments. The quality for excellence is there, so it will surely appeal more to some listeners then it does to me. It just made me hold my breath for what was to come if they would give it their very best. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#282865) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010

5 stars Flowermouth, Together We're Stranger, Schoolyard Ghosts and Returning Jesus are my favorite albums of NO MAN, all of them for me, five stars, because of the style of music represented in here, more than psychedelic or space prog, it goes farther, they have more the tendency of ambient prog roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020436) | Posted by Memo_anathemo | Sunday, August 18, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Returning Jesus -- No-Man Returning Jesus is the epitome of an atmospheric, beautiful album. Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson have truly created a work of art with this album. Returning Jesus is a very melancholic work, yet full of brilliant and shimmering instrumentation. Clearly i ... (read more)

Report this review (#427254) | Posted by The Monodrone | Sunday, April 03, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of Steven Wilson's and Tim Bowness' strongest albums. Featuring the lingering atmospheric beauty of the string-drenched opener Only Rain and the electronic strangeness of the title track, Returning Jesus makes for a mighty fine prelude to the even more delicate and ambitious Together We'r ... (read more)

Report this review (#56204) | Posted by The Sea Priest | Sunday, November 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of the best kept secrets in music today. This is my first encounter with No Man, and although a little skeptical to begin with, this album has blown my mind! All the songs have something new and interesting to offer, and whilst not being 'catchy' in the annoying pop sense, I often find m ... (read more)

Report this review (#18229) | Posted by | Wednesday, November 19, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NO-MAN "Returning Jesus"