RETURNING JESUS

Buy NO-MAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Only Rain (7:24)
2. No Defence (5:20)
3. Close Your Eyes (8:25)
4. Carolina Skeletons (5:08)
5. Outside The Machine (5:46)
6. Returning Jesus (5:19)
7. Slow It All Down (3:42)
8. Lighthouse (8:12)
9. All That You Are (4:44)

Search NO-MAN Returning Jesus lyrics

- Rick Edwards / percussion
- David Kosten / synthesizer and cymbal
- Theo Travis / saxophone and flute

3rd Stone Ltd. STONE 038CD CD

NO-MAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NO-MAN Returning Jesus Music

Wild OperaWild Opera
Kscope 2013
SpeakSpeak
101 DISTRIBUTION 2009
PENTANGLE - Reprise 0784 - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme - 1968 FOLK-ROCK DJ VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Whamon Express by No Man (US) (CD, SST) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Aileen Stanley 78 "No Man's Mamma/Mighty Blue" Victor 19863 US $11.00 [0 bids]
DMC 3/93 STEREO MCs Marc Auerbach Mx / First Choice Let No Man MAW Mix DJ Pierre US $3.31 Buy It Now 4h 17m
MISS LADY PINKS - TRUST NO MAN NEW CD US $24.19 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Ella Fitzgerald ~ Let No Man Write My Epitaph LP ORIG Verve MGV 4043 DG Mono US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Northern soul LARRY HARRISON No Man Can Stand Alone PAVANNE M-.DJ Listen! US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 25m
RARE AUDREY WILLIAMS NO MAN CAN LOVE TWO WOMEN YOU PUT IT THERE 45 PROMO HANK US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 43m
DAKTOA STATON - NO MAN IS GOING TO CHANGE ME - GP RECORDS-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
Subtractive Lad - No Man's Land [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 7h 3m
No-Man - Carolina Skeletons [CD New] US $13.46 Buy It Now 7h 3m
How the West Was Won by No Man (US) (CD, Aug-1991, SST) US $4.50 [0 bids]
9h
The Rose of No Man's Land by Jack Caddigan & James A. Brennan 1918 Sheet Music US $4.50 [0 bids]
Troy, Anna Aint No Man CD US $7.16 Buy It Now 9h 55m
Darlene Austin - No Man's Girl / Til I Can't Take it Anymore Pepper 446 PROMO US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 11m
LENE LOVICH No Man's Land LTD Audiophile Clear Vinyl UK 1982 LP DMM US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 21m
SPANISH FLY - TRUST NO MAN [PA] - NEW CD US $12.22 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Sharon Redd - Ula Hedwig - Charolotte Crossley - Ain't No Man Worth It US $3.00 Buy It Now 10h 49m
Dry Cleaning Ray by No-Man (UK) (CD, Nov-2005, United States of Distribution) US $4.50 [0 bids]
SUBTRACTIVELAD - NO MAN'S LAND NEW CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 12h 28m
Terror Level Red "No Man's Land" Punk/Rock LP, Vinyl, +Insert, VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 45m
NO -MAN - CAROLINA SKELETONS NEW CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 14h 59m
NO MAN SPEAK LIMITED EDITION (500 Blue-Marbled) VINYL LP SEALED PORCUPINE TREE US $100.00 Buy It Now 18h 19m
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts (2014) 2CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $23.22 Buy It Now 18h 50m
No-Man - Carolina Skeletons CD US $17.45 Buy It Now 20h 58m
Ella Fitzgerald, Let No Man Write My Epitaph LAQUERS 1/3 CLASSIC RECORDS 200G US $310.00 Buy It Now 21h 59m
Billy Joel The River of Dreams/ No Man's Land 45 rpm EX US $1.99 [0 bids]
NO MAN'S LAND CD AUSTRIAN COLUMBIA 1993, BILLY JOEL, Good US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Go! 3 x 7" Vinyl Albums - Why Suffer, No Man, Only Sheep 1990/1991 US $10.00 [0 bids]
BILLY JOEL - THE RIVER OF DREAMS/NO MAN'S LAND - 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Pagea Ensemble: No Man's Journey US $2.99 [0 bids]
WARP 9 No Man Is An Island/Remix vinyl 12 Inch 1984 Prism Records EX US $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Let No Man Put Asunder (Part 2) - Audio Deluxe #46653 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN IS ROGER MILLER WIN INSTANTLY LP SST 243 ALTERNATIVE ROCK US $18.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Jimmy Lewis: There Ain't No Man That can't Be Caught/It Aint What's on The Woman US $3.98 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man's Land by Souls of Mischief (CD, Oct-1995, Jive (USA)) US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Wild Opera - No-man New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.49 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN'S LAND Home In The Sky ANAZITISI RECORDS Sealed 180 Gram Vinyl LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sinead O'Connor - No Man's Woman 3 Track CD Single US $8.33 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN's BAND Damage The Enemy LP Record SEALED 1989 US $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN'S SLAVE/I RESIGN split 7" NEW Give Praise 00's power-violence hardcore US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN'S SLAVE Siege Mentality 7" NEW late-00's Give Praise power-violence HC US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHNNY MATHIS - EVERY STEP OF THE WAY // NO MAN CAN STAND ALONE - 45 MINT- US $3.80 [0 bids]
Hidden Art Sampler CD... No Man, Tim Bowness, Bass Communion, Cipher... US $20.00 [0 bids]
Sophia Squire Naw Fight Over No Man CD US $8.97 Buy It Now 1 day
RUFUS BEACHAM 45 Take It Easy Baby / No Man is King SCEPTER Uptempo SOUL #T357 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LP REGGAE: BLACKA RANKS No Man Government 1994 LEGENDARY RECORDS ** LISTEN ** US $9.95 [0 bids]
Soul Promo 45 SHARON REDD Ain't No Man Worth It on Colu US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AUDIO CD - ROCK - BILLY JOEL - RIVER OF DREAMS - NO MAN'S LAND - BLOND OVER US $9.50 Buy It Now 1 day
BUS BOYS money don't make no man LP 8 track with inner (d172915) us voss 1988 US $11.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Head 2 Head: Featuring The Hit Tracks-No Man Is An Island, Fancy Make Up by US $91.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Motion ?- No Man Is An Island ORIG UK 12" Ballistic Records ?TRIF2 1980 US $33.28 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN painting paradise ep 12" 2 trk but has heavy crease to right seam of pic US $9.14 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MAN painting paradise ep 12" 2 trk but has slight wear to edges of pic sleeve US $8.96 Buy It Now 1 day
ELECTRO BOOGIE/ Warp 9 - No Man Is An Island (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WARP 9 - No Man Is An Island - 12" US $15.96 Buy It Now 1 day
DON CORNELL - Athena/No Man Is An Island US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
No Man Taking It Like A Man 1994 Trance, Ambient, Vinyl, 12" Rare US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Billy Joel - No Man's Land - All About Soul - Lot of two (2) cd singles US $1.99 [0 bids]
No Man's Land - Charlie Peacock New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.20 Buy It Now 2 days
DREAM INTO DUST - No man's land CD Rare 97 1pr. MYRK10 US $22.49 Buy It Now 2 days
DON CORNELL All At Once / No Man Is An Island 78 VOGUE Q72058 US $21.62 Buy It Now 2 days
NO MAN'S SLAVE/I RESIGN split 7" NEW Give Praise HC late-00's power-violence US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WARP 9 no man is an island 12" 3 trk remix b/w island jam and freak beats (12brw US $8.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Hal Frazier SEALED POP SOUL LP No Man is an Island USA US $28.98 Buy It Now 2 days
BILLY JOEL DUTCH 1993 7" Single NO MAN'S LAND DiscNEW US $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Over Yonder Where The Lilies Grow /The Rose Of No Man's Land Burr/Donovan 78 RPM US $6.00 [0 bids]
Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land / Rose of Belgium Edna Brown /Hart 78 RPM US $5.50 [0 bids]
Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land / Rose of Belgium Edna Brown /Hart 78 RPM US $6.00 [0 bids]
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12" WBMX Disco Chicago House Music New York Garage US $14.99 [0 bids]
First Choice Let No Man Vinyl 12 WBMX Disco Acapella House Music New York Garage US $9.99 [0 bids]
SINEAD O'CONNOR - NO MAN'S WOMAN 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD SINGLE CS285 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Norm Calvin & the Truthseekers, Let no man Deceive You, Erika Records TSMR-001 US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man Porcupine Tree Together We're Stranger Sealed LP #119 US $9.98 [1 bids]
SPANISH FLY - TRUST NO MAN (REISSUE) NEW CD US $21.14 Buy It Now 2 days
No-Man "Wherever There Is Light" CD Steven Wilson Porcupine Tree **Free Shipping US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CORNEL CAMPBELL: No Man's Land / Version 45 (Jamaica, some lbl wear) Reggae US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Johnny Mathis POP 45 (Columbia 42799) Every Step of the Way/No Man Can... VG+ US $5.95 Buy It Now 2 days
No Man's Land by Souls of Mischief CD 1995 Jive HIEROGLYPHICS LIKE NEW 90's rap US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
78RPM Montgomery Ward 4319 Dick Robertson, There Aint No Man in the Moon/That V- US $13.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Broadway Broadcasters - CAMEO 836 - No Man's Mamma & That Certain Party US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Wild Opera by No-Man (UK) (CD, Oct-2013, 2 Discs, Kscope) US $9.12 Buy It Now 2 days
M-3 CD Roger Miller & brothers MIssion of Burma sealed new Sproton Layer No Man US $2.99 [0 bids]
No Man CD How The West Was Won sealed new US SST Mission of Burma Roger Miller US $2.99 [0 bids]
DOMINIQUE PRESCHEZ - NO MAN S LAND (IMPORT) NEW CD US $48.99 Buy It Now 2 days
*SALE* HEVIA - TIERRA DE NADIE / NO MAN'S LAND Spanish Bagpipes World Music US $2.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Spanish Fly - Trust No Man [CD New] US $15.62 Buy It Now 2 days
ELLA FITZGERALD - LET NO MAN WRITE MY EPITAPH (753088404313) - NEW CD BOXSET US $86.34 Buy It Now 2 days
LENE LOVICH - 12" LP VINYL ALBUM - NO MAN'S LAND US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Lene Lovich - No Man's Land LP Original Issue US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WARP 9-NO MAN IS AN ISLAND~ELECTRO 12**LISTEN US $3.99 [0 bids]
Carl Matthews - Apollo - 78 RPM - "Big Man" / No Man is Honest US $1.25 [0 bids]
Rare Country Blues 78: Coley Jones ~ Army Mule In No Man's Land ~ Columbia 14288 US $200.00 [0 bids]
FIRST CHOICE " LET NO MAN PUT ASUNDER " NEW UK12 DANCE DISCO US $14.96 Buy It Now 3 days
THE VAN DYKES LP No Man is an Island SOLID SMOKE Compilation SOUL US $12.00 [1 bids]
No-Man - Together We'Re Stranger [CD New] US $13.61 Buy It Now 3 days
No Man CD Whamon Express sealed new US SST Mission of Burma Roger Miller US $2.99 [0 bids]
Billy Joel CD - No Man's Land - from album River Of Dreams US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
John Michael Montgomery CD - No Man's Land US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Let No Man Write My Epitaph- Ella Fitzgerald/ Verve Records MG V-4043 US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy NO-MAN music online Buy NO-MAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NO-MAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NO-MAN Returning Jesus ratings distribution

NO-MAN Returning Jesus reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars Interesting, dreamy, delicately intricate. Lots of low key descriptors would fit. No thrashing on this. Steve Wilson's waves of brilliant mellotron, Tim Bowness' angelic voice , as well as the sweetly accented horn playing of Ian Carr and Ian Dixon. Steve Jansen provides a percussive backdrop for a seductive mix sure to make you light a candle and set the lights to low.

Fans of SW's more ambient nature will LOVE this. It'll also appeal to David Sylvian fans.

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#18230) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 27, 2004

Review by Greger
4 stars I feel inner warmth every time I hear the music of English band NO-MAN. It's sooths my soul and ease my pain. It's like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. No-one is a progressive two men pop band consisting of the two PORCUPINE TREE members Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson. Tim Bowness vocals are gently and it softly touches your consciousness. His voice is a blend of Hugh Cornwell (ex. STRANGLERS), Paddy McAloon (PREFAB SPROUT) and David Sylvian and the music is as dreamy as any Angelo Badalamenti composition. It's hard to describe the beauty of the music, but mentioning the quieter moments of David Sylvian is close at hands, blended with some soft jazz. The jazz influences are much because of Ian Carr's (NUCLEUS) magnificent trumpet playing. Jesus has returned in the shape of NO-MAN. Highly recommended!

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#18231) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2004

4 stars This is probably my favourite NO-MAN record.

There's some good variety on this one, and i couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Ian Carr was playing trumpet on the first track "Only Rain". Ian Carr was the leader of the legendary band NUCLEUS, which was one of the first Jazz / Fusion bands and one of my favourites as well. There is some good synths on this atmospheric song as well. "No Defence" features more trumpet and some good guitar in the background. "Close Your Eyes" is a terrific song with percussion throughout and an abundance of flugelhorn.

"Carolina Skeletons" i'm sure is known to some from the EP it was previously released on 3 years before. Great tune. "Outside The Machine" features some jazzy drum work, and is an ok song.The title track takes some time to grow on you but it will. "Slow It All Down" is a great instrumental with sax courtesy of Theo Travis, some more flugelhorn and synths. "Lighthouse" is one of the best NO-MAN songs ever, it's PORCUPINE TREE sounding with some beautiful flute and organ. "All That You Are" is another amazing tune. It has such a full sound.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#101756) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Review by russellk
4 stars I've really not been looking forward to this review, as I can't make up my mind about this album.

"Slow it all down", BOWNESS sings on 'Returning Jesus', and they do. This album is almost completely devoid of any dance sensibilities, being rather a collection of ambient and minimalist ballads. Any slower and they'd be going backwards. NO-MAN was once layers of rich sound backing BOWNESS's laconic vocals: now the music is as laconic as the words.

The consensus among reviewers is that 'Returning Jesus' is one of NO-MAN's strongest - if not the strongest - album. Not for me. I've tried to pin down exactly why, given the delicate soundscapes WILSON and BOWNESS gift us with, , but I suspect it's nothing more than paling by comparison to 'Flowermouth' and 'Together We're Stranger'.

The opening two tracks pass by without a murmur of interest. They seem barely alive. It's not until 'Close Your Eyes' that I find myself captured: what a beautiful track, simple but with a lovely recurring three-note motif and (yes, yes, yes, he cried) a slow build of the sort I'd feared we'd never see again from this band. 'Carolina Skeletons' is an excellent single, all bones and elbows, but we've already seen both these tracks two years previously. 'Outside the Machine' is worthwhile without being spectacular, the music little more than a framework for BOWNESS's message of rejection: "I don't need you." 'Returning Jesus' and 'Slow it all Down' are really one track, forming the gracious, shimmering core of the album, followed by 'Lighthouse', my favourite track here. Interestingly, this was in existence in demo form in 1994 - and it shows. Would have been right at home on 'Flowermouth' or even 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. In fact, I think I hear THE ORB in there somewhere too. 'All That You Are', a beautiful single, closes the album. Oddly, this single was not released until after the next album.

So lots of good stuff. Some great stuff even. Why am I so uneasy then?

See, by now PORCUPINE TREE had evolved from a self-confessed joke band through space-rock to an increasingly tight crossover prog band, a real player on the global stage. NO-MAN was the poor relation. Listening to this album, I have the feeling that we don't get as much of STEVEN WILSON as we have the right to expect. Certainly not given these songs were up to seven years in the making. Kudos for WILSON for not abandoning the project, especially in the light of what was to come, but I can't help wondering what he might have made of some of these tracks had this still been his main project. Perhaps they'd be exactly the same.

It doesn't make sense, but unaccountably, every time I reach the end of this album, I feel disappointed. A curmudgeonly three stars, though my head tells me it's worth four. No, I've changed my mind. Four stars. Too beautiful for three.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#144926) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars After the more dance and trip-hop oriented album Wild Opera, Returning Jesus revisited the style and sound of Flowermouth, meaning balladry sadness extended with soft jazz elements and mildly progressive and ambient influences.

Returning Jesus was one of the first No-Man albums that came under the attention of the growing numbers of Porcupine Tree fans in 2001 but it didn't seem to appeal massively. Also for me it hasn't been a stable love affair. Just as on Flowermouth there are stellar moody rock songs such as the opening track Only Rain, but those songs have to indulge the presence of lesser ballads such No Defense and Caronlina Skeletons

As with most No-man's albums Tim Bowness continues to be the stumbling block. Depending on the song, his affected way of singing can be entirely heartfelt and compelling, as much as it can sound contrived and tedious. He's a limited vocalist and needs the best possible material in order to shine. A more dynamic singer could have made Close Your Eyes into a compelling ballad, but Bowness keeps the mood too samey and tame.

Returning Jesus is a good atmospheric rock album with some outstanding moments. The quality for excellence is there, so it will surely appeal more to some listeners then it does to me. It just made me hold my breath for what was to come if they would give it their very best. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#282865) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010

5 stars Flowermouth, Together We're Stranger, Schoolyard Ghosts and Returning Jesus are my favorite albums of NO MAN, all of them for me, five stars, because of the style of music represented in here, more than psychedelic or space prog, it goes farther, they have more the tendency of ambient prog roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020436) | Posted by Memo_anathemo | Sunday, August 18, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Returning Jesus -- No-Man Returning Jesus is the epitome of an atmospheric, beautiful album. Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson have truly created a work of art with this album. Returning Jesus is a very melancholic work, yet full of brilliant and shimmering instrumentation. Clearly i ... (read more)

Report this review (#427254) | Posted by The Monodrone | Sunday, April 03, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of Steven Wilson's and Tim Bowness' strongest albums. Featuring the lingering atmospheric beauty of the string-drenched opener Only Rain and the electronic strangeness of the title track, Returning Jesus makes for a mighty fine prelude to the even more delicate and ambitious Together We'r ... (read more)

Report this review (#56204) | Posted by The Sea Priest | Sunday, November 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of the best kept secrets in music today. This is my first encounter with No Man, and although a little skeptical to begin with, this album has blown my mind! All the songs have something new and interesting to offer, and whilst not being 'catchy' in the annoying pop sense, I often find m ... (read more)

Report this review (#18229) | Posted by | Wednesday, November 19, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NO-MAN "Returning Jesus"