DEAD AS DREAMS

Experimental/Post Metal

Weakling Dead As Dreams album cover

Buy WEAKLING Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Cut Their Grain And Place Fire Therein (10:28)
2. Dead As Dreams (20:39)
3. This Entire Fucking Battlefield (14:47)
4. No One Can Be Called As A Man While He'll Die (13:09)
5. Desasters In The Sun (17:06)

Search WEAKLING Dead As Dreams lyrics

Search WEAKLING Dead As Dreams tabs

- John Gossard / vocals, guitars
- Casey Ward / keyboards
- "Little Sunshine" Sam / drums
- Sarah Weiner / bass
- Joshua M. Smith / guitars

Released on tUMULt.

Also released on Cassette, Vinyl and CD.
Tape version limited to 300 copies.

Re-released in 2003 as MC by N:C:U with different cover art, limited to 300 copies.

Thanks to Plankowner for the addition
and to Jake Kobrin for the last updates

WEAKLING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WEAKLING Dead As Dreams Music

Dead as DreamsDead as Dreams

More places to buy WEAKLING music online Buy WEAKLING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WEAKLING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WEAKLING Dead As Dreams ratings distribution

WEAKLING Dead As Dreams reviews

Review by VanVanVan
4 stars Extreme metal is a genre that I enjoy immensely, and, upon hearing that this is considered to be one of the first albums to merge post-metal with black/death-metal I knew I had to give it a listen, having very much enjoyed other bands that fused those two styles, such as Alcest.

Wow, that was quite a run-on sentence. My apologies.

To the music: I admit, when I saw the track listing I was a bit intimidated. Five songs, all of which are over ten minutes. I saw a lot of potential to get bored. Luckily, that was not the case. This music is, dare I say, soothing. That seems odd to say, given that the majority of the music is dominated by aggressive guitars and extremely harsh vocals, but in my opinion there's not a better word to describe it. The harshness and aggression coalesce into a soundscape which is very atmospheric despite its intensity. These songs are fairly repetitive, but in my opinion that helps them; it allows the listener to get into a rhythm and be able to zone out to this music, in contrast to other extreme metal bands that shred a lot and require all of your concentration to keep up.

However, I also don't want to give the impression that this music is just the same thing over and over. It's not as dynamic as say, Opeth's longer compositions are, but this music still rises and falls in the way you would expect from long tracks. There are soft acoustic passages (though they are brief and few) and long passages are instrumental in contrast to the harsh vocals.

Overall, I would recommend this album highly, but understand what you're getting into. This is labeled as Experimental/Post-metal, but Black Metal is still the primary influence here. This is an atmospheric and well composed album, but it uses very harsh instrumentation and style. I feel like I'm rambling a bit, but hopefully you get the idea. Good stuff.

4/5

Send comments to VanVanVan (BETA) | Report this review (#488068) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars Weakling noted the commonality between the wall of guitars sound in black metal and the wall of guitars sound in shoegaze (a la My Bloody Valentine) and really exploit the common ground between the two to the hilt, creating this intriguing album which expands the pallette of black metal and features epic, prog rock-length tracks that have a nigh-hypnotic effect on the listener. The sharp production allows for greater appreciation of the parts played by the individual members - bassist Sarah Weiner's playing is particularly noteworthy - and it's only comparatively recently with the emergence of other progressive/shoegaze black metal bands that the genius experiments dabbled in here are really getting the attention they deserve.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#635332) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 17, 2012

Post a review of WEAKLING "Dead As Dreams"