THE VIEW FROM MY WINDOW

Manning

Manning The View From My Window album cover

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Phase (The Open & The Widening Sky) (7:23)
2. The View From My Window (9:07)
3. The Rut (8:04)
4. After The (Tears In The) Rain (5:18)
5. Blue Girl (6:14)

- Rick Ashton / bass
- Laura Fowles / saxophones
- Gareth Harwood / electric guitar

Guests:
- Andy Tillison / keyboards (courtesy of PARALLEL or 90 DEGREES)
- Hugh Whittaker / drums
- Tim Moon / fiddles/whistles

CD Cyclops Records CYCL 136 (2003)

and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING The View From My Window Music

ZRG 907 BENNETT Spells, Aubade MANNING PO WILLCOCKS ATHERTON ARGO STEREO UK 1979 US $8.42 Buy It Now 1h 14m
CD VARIOUS "TERRY MANNING AND WILD ONES EL PASO ROCK VOL 7" NORTON ROCK N ROLL US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
GLENN MILLER AEF BAND/DINAH SHORE/IRENE MANNING- LOST RECORDINGS 2-CD (36 TRKS) US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Barbara Manning - 1212 (1997) cd US $4.54 Buy It Now 2h 25m
LINDA MANNING ~ I Feel A Cry Coming On ~rare country promo ~ RICE US $16.00 Buy It Now 6h 27m
ROYAL JESTERS: Sing A Song Of Peace / Manning Ave. 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 56m
The Glands Of External Secretion Northern Exposure LP Barbara Manning US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Barbara Manning One Perfect Green Blanket 1991 Rare US $50.00 Buy It Now 9h 14m
Terry Manning - Home Sweet Home LP NEW/SEALED 180 gram reissue US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 26m
One Night Only (CD) Honky Tonk Roadshow Bob Manning US $8.16 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Bill Snyder & Dick Manning "Hidden Valley/Cimarron" ABC-Paramount US $0.50 [0 bids]
BARBARA MANNING & GO-LUCKYS - YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW US $11.80 Buy It Now 10h 5m
The Banjo Barons Play Golden Hawaiian Hits - Marty Manning - Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Manning, John: tuba-Four Corners: Tuba Music fro CD NEW US $16.26 Buy It Now 11h 4m
"7"-Barbara Manning-Don't let it Bring you down '90 punk forced exposure US $9.99 [0 bids]
14h
Barbara Manning - Wtih Flophouse - B4 We Go Under - Vinyl 7" single Silkscreened US $17.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Madeline Manning Jackson - Running for Jesus - Brand New LP in Orig Shrinkwrap US $23.00 Buy It Now 15h 11m
Jayne Manning-Encore CD NEW US $16.20 Buy It Now 19h 25m
MANNING-AKOUSTIK CD NEW US $20.16 Buy It Now 19h 25m
Linda Manning Buy Me Something Pretty Joey RARE 7" Single Country KING UK 66 EX+ US $5.05 Buy It Now 23h 54m
PHIL MANNING ROCK THIS BOAT 1990 CANADA ROCK LP SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gravel Road by Lisa Manning (CD, 2007, Lisa Manning) US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BERNARD MANNING 'HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART?' UK 7" SINGLE US $8.42 Buy It Now 1 day
BERNARD MANNING- I ONLY LIVE FOR YOU VINYL 7" 45RPM US $1.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Imperial Drag - Imperial Drag, Roger Joseph Manning Jr PROMO ADVANCE CD NEW SEAL US $14.99 [0 bids]
MANNING SMITH & THE RHYTHM OUTLAWS "JOHNSON RAG" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Murray,Kimberly & Bob Manning - One Night Only [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 1 day
KIMBER MANNING-EVENTUALLY-RARE OOP ADVANCE PROMO CD-2006-11 TRACKS-R+K US $3.00 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
45 RPM-Margaret Manning/I'll Remember You - Silver Leaf Label - DJ Copy US $3.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Lynn Manning Clarity of Vision CD *SEALED* US $4.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Roger Manning by Roger Manning Alternative Rock New And Sealed Free USA Shipping US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD01 MANNING PAULY CREDIT WHERE DUE ROCK STAR BONUS POWER PROG ROCK US $4.77 [0 bids]
RARE private seattle BLACK GOSPEL lp AMAZING MANNING BROTHERS LIVE xian SOUL 70s US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING - JUST WHAT I WANTED NEW CD US $21.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Gospel Soul Bishop Manning And The Manning Family Manning's Gospel Train US $8.99 [2 bids]
MATT TAYLOR PHIL MANNING BAND OZ BLUES ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $52.06 Buy It Now 1 day
HEARTS DON'T LIE - Film Sheet Music - Fun And Games - Manning Sherwin US $23.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Bernard Manning-I Only Live For You 7" UK Decca 45 1974 US $5.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BARBARA MANNING - 1212 - NEW CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 2 days
FASCINATION Waltz Song - 50's Sheet Music - DICK MANNING - F.D Marchetti US $16.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Anthony Manning - Chromium Nebulae - VERY RARE 1995 UK CD MINT Ambient Abstract US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning "One Perfect Green Blanket" (Heyday) MINT Cndt CD - OOP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Terry Manning ?- Home Sweet Home Brand New Sealed CD Psychedelic Rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RAY MANNING SINGERS - BROTHER VERNARD JOHNSON PRESENTS (SEALED GOSPEL LP) US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning (CD,... US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LINDA MANNING (60's OBSCURE COUNTRY) ~ I FEEL A CRY COMING ON ~ RICE PROMO US $5.99 [0 bids]
Broadway #1239: Harold Manning And Orchestra - "I'll Get By" & "Avalon Town" E- US $4.99 [0 bids]
MARTY MANNING & CHEETAHS: Sunny / Tarzan 45 (dj, tol, wol) Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE RAY MANNING SINGERS ~ SELF TITLED ~ GOSPEL-FUNK-SOUL LP. VG+++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Manning,Terry - Home Sweet Home [Vinyl New] US $21.16 Buy It Now 2 days
CARGOE Feel Alright + Tokyo Love 45 US 1972 Terry Manning orig Ardent ADA-2901 US $47.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Manning songs from the bilston.. CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE_NETWORK (METAL) - BISHOP KENT MANNING [SLIPCASE] * - NEW CD US $6.61 Buy It Now 2 days
MANNING - AKOUSTIK - NEW CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 2 days
SF Seals "Still?" 7" OOP Barbara Manning vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JIM KEAYS Boy From Stars Oz PROG LP Masters Apprentices 70s Vinyl PHIL MANNING US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Clarity of Vision by Lynn Manning (CD, Aug-1994, New Alliance) US $3.77 [0 bids]
BERNARD MANNING mackeson surprise 7" flexi disc in pic slv uk - US $8.42 Buy It Now 3 days
MADELINE LP RUNNING FOR JESUS MADELINE MANNING JACKSON US $5.00 [0 bids]
45 RPM Vinyl Record Bob Manning, EAP 1-279, Capitol Records PS 45AME2 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATNIK BEATCH 1988 Debut CD Roger Manning, Andy Strummer (Jellyfish) US $3.99 [0 bids]
ROGER MANNING SELF TITLED ROCK LP MINT US $4.95 Buy It Now 3 days
World Open Championships-Manning Bowl 1969-Volume 1-LP-Fleetwood-VG+ US $9.19 Buy It Now 3 days
Pop 45 Bob Manning - Gypsy Girl / The Nearness Of You On Capitol US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Saint Louis Commissions, Manning, Rorem, Good US $13.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music, Dayna Manning, Victoria Williams, US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CAPITAL VIRTUOSI Jonathan Plowright Rita Manning Briony Shaw SOUND PROJECTS US $11.73 Buy It Now 3 days
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $43.94 Buy It Now 3 days
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ LIKE NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $30.95 Buy It Now 3 days
SEALED 12"~BOOMKAT~[TARYN MANNING]~Dj QUIK~THUNDERPUSS~The Wreckoning~[x4 Mixes] US $4.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Manning,Bob - Our Wedding Songs CD-R [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Manning - Akoustik [CD New] US $17.91 Buy It Now 3 days
Mccombs,Cass - Bradley Manning [Vinyl New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Bernard Manning Everbody's Fool Sheet Music Ex 1974 US $16.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Rubinstein: Piano Quartets [Rita Manning, Morgan Goff, Justin Pearson, Leslie H. US $21.02 Buy It Now 3 days
ROMANCE 40's Sheet music- from The DESERT SONG- DENNIS MORGAN,IRENE MANNING US $16.88 Buy It Now 4 days
SKIP MANNING - HAM 'N' EGGS - HOT CHUCK BERRY STYLE BLACK JIVER - REPRO US $11.80 Buy It Now 4 days
GET YOUR LOVING FROM ME 40's sheet music MANNING SHERWIN US $23.64 Buy It Now 4 days
More Real Gone Girls - Linda Manning, Dottie Jones, Annie Wright, Peggy Upton ++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.42 Buy It Now 4 days
BARBARA MANNING Don't let it bring you down US $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Jesters Sing a Song for Peace / Manning Ave. Bang B-595 7" 45 Single US $12.59 Buy It Now 4 days
ECLIPSE-Lunacy-1995 FOX ROX MUSIC-Anthony Manning-MATT ZURAT-Jay Parisella-METAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
Linda Manning TEEN ANSWER 45 (Rice 5010) The Girl From Saginaw Michigan US $10.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Mitch Manning EARLY R&R 45 (Cole 2) Tom Cat/Time Out For Love US $8.95 Buy It Now 4 days
MARTY MANNING & The CHEETAHS Tarzan/Sunny 45 Rare Soul Mod Exotica HEAR US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning/Joe "Piano" Henderson's All 40 Singalong Party Hits Album LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
As Is by Renee Manning (CD) 717297001329 US $5.39 Buy It Now 4 days
BILL SNYDER & DICK MANNING - IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING // STATE FAIR - MINT- US $3.50 [0 bids]
CHAIN, Matt Taylor, Phil Manning, Western Flyer lps, TOWARD THE BLUES, NM - MINT US $268.68 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning & Seymour Glass - February 8, 1992 - 7" 45rpm Majora US $22.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Various Artists,2-CD,Lilith Fair,Indigo Girls,Paula Cole,Dayna Manning,Tara MacL US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EL PASO ROCK Vol. 7 Terry Manning & The Wild Ones LP NEW Bobby Fuller Stax VINYL US $14.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Terry Manning, 13th Floor Elevators, Red Crayola, Bubble Puppy - U.K. SEALED cd US $9.72 Buy It Now 4 days
Logan's Sanctuary by Roger Joseph Manning, Jr./Brian Reitzell Promo CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
IMPERIAL DRAG+1 JAPAN CD Roger Joseph Manning Jellyfish US $15.99 [0 bids]
CHAIN Aust Rhythm & Blues 1987 Oz Blues CASSETTE TAPE Matt Taylor, Phil Manning US $25.57 Buy It Now 4 days
OUP 200 EDWARD HARPER Fanny Robin, Ricercari, Quintet MANNING WAUGH OUP STEREO US $10.11 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING The View From My Window ratings distribution

MANNING The View From My Window reviews

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Manning's 2003 contribution opens in absolutely breathless fashion, with the conviction and punch of "Phase". Manning and the band are firing on all cylinders here, and working with material that befits their efforts. The melody will stay in your head long after the fadeout. While some of his early material had tended to the quiet and reflective, perhaps too much so, this opener is a polar opposite. Where do we go from here?

The title cut is definitely more in his traditional style, but yet more lush and imposing. Another insistent tune, bolstered by strong percussion and synths. "The Rut" is the least interesting tune here, in an unwaveringly dirge-like bluesy vein. In contrast "Blue Girl" begins with a lite jazz feel that works far better, enhanced by sax and electric piano. Some striking lead guitar punctuates the piece.

As usual, the album's keynote is a lengthy suite, this one called "Dreams", and, while it has some interesting parts, it lacks a centerpiece, a presence that would make it the intended highlight of the disk. Nothing in it is as half as compelling as most of what precedes it on this album. So while this is another good effort from Manning, it is frustrating that he seems so capable of a masterpiece but won't deliver. One has to wonder if the window of opportunity is closing.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#168844) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 27, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars A long time ago I had this album in my hands but I can´t really remember if I did hear it at all (probably not, see below). Fortunatly I kept it until recently, when I found Manning´s masterpieces Songs From The Bilson House and Ten. So I decided to review some of his earlier stuff and View From My window was an easy pick. And I was really surprised how good it was! Ok, like all Guy Manning´s works, it will take some time to fully appreciate all the details of his work, but once you do, you´re hooked.

The album starts with the powerful Phase (the Opening & The Widening Sky). What a great track! It grabs you by the neck by the sheer force of its melody. Everything works on this song: delightful hooks, tasteful arrangement, inspired solos (including one amazing sax and guitar duel at the end) and a very convincing vocal delivering. If this tune was released in the 70´s it would sure be a strong cadidate for a top ten classic of that era. The following tracks are not that accessible, but are good anyway, proving that sameness is not one of Manning´s features. Again they all show him using all his and his band mates talents in full for the music. The arrangements are just perfectly crafted for each song. The bluesy The Rut may drag a little, but the hipnotic riffing works very well saving the day. After the Rain reminds of very early Jethro Tull, while Blue Girl is one of the most interesting ballads, featuring some great jazz and soul overtones.

Of course the centerpiece of the CD is the 20 minute Suite: Dreams. Divided in 8 small parts, this is his most progressive work in the entire disc. And a very inspired and strong one, I should say. The melody lines are just amazing and all the musicians show their skill throughtout the entire epic. In fact it seems like something that could have been on Ten or SFTBH: Everyhting works here flawlessly, with some fantastic symphonic keyboards, orchestrations and Manning´s emotional vocals reaching a new level on the top of it. Another sure case of a song that is worth the price of the CD! I jusut keep pushing the repeat button of my CD plyer over and over when I hear it.

Conclusion: an excellent work by one of the most talented (and unfortunatly still not very well known) prog artists of our time. Definitly one CD to look for, specially if you like strong and varied songwriting, terrific players and arrangements that near perfection. Not much noodling here, just a case of everything working for the songs. Rating: 4 stars. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#239778) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 17, 2009

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars So Guy is back with his fifth album, and yet again I am amazed at just how powerful his songs can be. If ever there was a modern songwriter and performer who was trying to pick up on the electric side of Richard Thompson then it has to be him, and opening song "Phase (The Open & The Widening Sky)" reinforces that idea. It is powerful and commercial, yet has a strong guitar line throughout just behind the vocals, or sometimes replacing them. But this album appears to be deeper, with more influences, more darkness, than before. Play the introduction to the title cut and you could be forgiven for wondering what on earth you were listening to, as many musical styles come together in a bazaar. But the guitar cuts through everything like a shining ray of light, before giving way to acoustic strumming and the feeling that Guy has turned his attention to one of our great eccentrics, Roy Harper. The keyboards are much more delicate at this point, with the focus very much on the vocals.

The major opus of the album is called simply "Suite:Dreams", and is over twenty minutes long, which allows Guy to run through many emotions and styles. Possibly the most powerful is when he is just accompanied by piano and some seeping keyboards in the background. It may be simple, but is effective. This gives way to some lounge style noodlings before again being moved into something more dramatic and moving, almost as if the listener is bursting into the sunlight.

In some ways Guy is the least progressive act on Malcolm's label, yet in others he is the most as he crosses boundaries and performs music that wouldn't normally have that tag. Again this is a wonderful piece of work that I recommend whole heartedly.

Originally appeared in Feedback #78, April 2004

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#1005078) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2013

4 stars Guy Manning finally came of age. After some very good albums in the years before this album, Guy Manning finally reached a standard he should be happy with. This is the same standard as Bilston House and Number 10. I do not know the albums between this album and Bilston so please forgive me ... (read more)

Report this review (#239582) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, September 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 3.5 Stars Really. This is the only album I have heard by Manning and it is pretty good. The vocals strongly remind me of the Strawbs and some of the songs would fit right in on a Strawbs album. When I first picked up this album Mr. Manning was in the Prog Folk category on this sit ... (read more)

Report this review (#188054) | Posted by digdug | Wednesday, November 05, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is full of great medolies and big arrangemtns! and also seems in fact more symphonic than alot of the previous Manning albums Again, as before, this is different in tone and arrangement, feel and atmostphere to its predessors. This recurring 'change direction again' format works fo ... (read more)

Report this review (#162366) | Posted by Topograph | Friday, February 22, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is full-blooded progressive rock and there's something for everyone on this album. You'll find more than a hint of Genesis-bred song-oriented neo-prog, but there are also huge passages of complex, multi-textured and multi-layered symphonic prog. Spin this CD and on the very first track yo ... (read more)

Report this review (#18430) | Posted by DinoL | Friday, May 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is a fantastic album that is definately worth investigating. Strong songwriting throughout & excellent performances from both Guy & his band shine across all the songs. The hypnotic title track lingers in your head long after the CD has stopped spinning. This man gets better & better with every ... (read more)

Report this review (#18428) | Posted by Simon Jackson | Wednesday, December 17, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "The View From My Window"