THINGS WE LIKE

Buy JACK BRUCE Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Over The Cliff (2:56)
2. Statues (7:35)
3. Sam Enchanted Dick (7:28)
a. Sam Sack
b. Rill's Thrills
4. Born To Be Blue (4:26)
5. HCKHH Blues (8:59)
6. Ballad For Arthur (7:42)
7. Things We Like (3:38)
8. Aging (5:20)

- Jack Bruce / double bass, session leader
- Dick Heckstall-Smith / soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone
- Jon Hiseman / drums
- John McLaughlin / guitar

Release Date 1970 (U.K.), 1971 (U.S.) Originally recorded in 1968.

Thanks to mrcozdude for the addition

Buy JACK BRUCE Things We Like Music

Things We LikeThings We Like
Remastered
Universal I.S. 2003
$5.49
Jack Bruce Things We Like vinyl recordJack Bruce Things We Like vinyl record
Atco Records

Jack Bruce Things We Like 1992 Japan CD 1st Press With Obi POCP-2166 OOP HTF USD $29.80 Buy It Now 12h 54m
JACK BRUCE Things We Like CD Japan 7 tracks Polydor POCP-2166 obi USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Things We Like LP (Jack Bruce - 1970) 2343-033 (ID:15113) USD $72.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Things We Like LP (Jack Bruce - 1970) 2343-033 (ID:15113) USD $64.77 Buy It Now 1 day
JACK BRUCE Things We Like 1971 UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16x12 inches USD $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JACK BRUCE Things We Like 2343 033 UK LP Vinyl VG++ Label wd Cover Fair USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JACK BRUCE - THINGS WE LIKE [REMASTER] NEW CD USD $13.80 Buy It Now 2 days
JACK BRUCE - THINGS WE LIKE [REMASTER] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $9.27 Buy It Now 6 days
JACK BRUCE Things We Like JAPAN CD UICY-9303 2003 NEW USD $201.29 Buy It Now 6 days
Jack Bruce Things We Like MINI LP CD JAPAN UICY-9303 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Jack Bruce-Things We Like (Remastered) CD NEW USD $15.00 Buy It Now 8 days
JACK BRUCE Things We Like LP POLYDOR 2343 033 UK 1970 JAZZ John McLaughlin NM USD $53.09 Buy It Now 8 days
JACK BRUCE JOHN MCLAUGHLIN Things We Like JAPAN CD 1992 1st Press OOP USD $49.00 Buy It Now 8 days
JACK BRUCE (John McLaughlin)- Things We Like Japan MINI LP CD PROMO OBI LE #5000 USD $20.62 [0 bids]
Jack Bruce - Things We Like [New CD] Bonus Tracks, Rmst USD $12.27 Buy It Now 9 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like [New CD] Bonus Tracks, Rmst USD $10.08 Buy It Now 9 days
Things We Like Jack Bruce~RARE 1970 Jazz Rock Fusion~John McLaughlin~1971 Press USD $15.26 Buy It Now 9 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like (CD Used Like New) USD $8.08 Buy It Now 10 days
JACK BRUCE things we like LP Mint- WLP SD 33 349 Vinyl 1971 Record USD $100.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like [CD] USD $8.82 Buy It Now 15 days
Jack Bruce-Things We Like (Remastered) (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $8.28 Buy It Now 17 days
Jack Bruce - Things we like LP Vinyl Album Original 1970 USD $71.12 Buy It Now 18 days
3 ERIC CLAPTON 8 track Cream Goodbye Jack Bruce Things We like Delaney USD $17.95 Buy It Now 22 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like (Bonus Tracks) CD NEW USD $20.44 Buy It Now 22 days
JACK BRUCE Things We Like LP ATCO RECORDS SD 33-349 US 1971 JAZZ John McLaughlin USD $38.69 Buy It Now 23 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like (NEW CD) USD $9.23 Buy It Now 24 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like - Jack Bruce CD LOVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $9.02 Buy It Now 25 days
Jack Bruce Things We Like 1970 UK 1st Press Polydor A/2 B/2 Brilliant Audio! NM USD $85.00 Buy It Now 26 days
JACK BRUCE Things We Like LP Atco SD 33-349 US 1971 VG- White Label Promo! 02D USD $399.98 Buy It Now 28 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like CD (2003) Jazz Rock Blues (Cream) 1970 USD $11.36 Buy It Now 28 days
Bruce,Jack : Things We Like CD USD $14.01 Buy It Now 28 days
Jack Bruce - Things We Like 2343 033 UK LP 1970 John McLaughlin Jon Hiseman USD $42.65 Buy It Now 28 days
Jack Bruce w/ McLaughlin, Heckstall-Smith, Hiseman- Things We Like GER LP'70 /3* USD $25.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy JACK BRUCE music online Buy JACK BRUCE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

JACK BRUCE Things We Like ratings distribution

JACK BRUCE Things We Like reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars Things We Like? Things I like, too.

First and foremost, be warned. This is a jazz album. There is no prog, or even rock, whatsoever on this album. Jack Bruce does not play a single note on his electric bass on this album. If you do not like pure be-bop, read no further.

What an unexperted twist from Jack Bruce on his second solo endeavor. A completely straight jazz album. And you know what? It's a very good jazz album. Bruce, it turns out, could have done just fine as an acoustic jazz bass player. And the band he has assembled here is first rate.

The majority of the songs here are primarily drums/bass/sax. John McLaughlin tends to lay back for the most part. But the drums, bass and sax are all so good, you hardly notice the lack of guitar most of the time, anyway.

For a jazz album, I'd rate it four stars, but no prog, it gets only 3 here.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars Under that typical jazzy album title, you'll the ex-Cream bassist Jack Bruce's second solo album. If you think that JB and jazz don't really mix, you're in a for a bit of a surprise, as Jack first came to prominence with Graham Bond's ORGANization, and JB and GB (Ginger) used to joke the Cream was a jazz band, and that they never told Clapton so. More than the Cream connection, here, we're getting the Colosseum (Heckstall-Smith and Hiseman replaced JB and GB in Bond's band) and we're heavily in a standard jazz affair ? which might be very strange, since JB was also involved with McL in Tony Williams' Lifetime, which was much more "fusiony". Actually, TWL was recorded prior to JB's first official solo album, but the present is indeed his first try (recorded in Aug 68)? but only found release almost two years afterwards.

So, the quartet's line-up might have hinted you as an all-star JR/F group, but we're quite distant from that realm. Six of the seven tracks are Bruce composition (he plays only stand-up bass on TWL), and the lone medley Sam Enchanted Dick (sic?) is more or less in the same sonic template of the rest of the album. Indeed, we're dealing with a fairly competent late-50's or early-60's boppy jazz that will raise your eyebrows, mostly because that's about the last thing you'd expect from these dudes. Were they out to prove something to the old-guard of jazzers? Maybe so, but personally, I find that, outside McL and to a lesser extent DHS, this is the kind of stuff that lacks a certain credibility from the "rock-related" crowds. Don't expect much of McL's fiery guitar histrionics (he does get the odd spot here and there, but nothing of the sort of Devotion or Mahavishnu), because he's relatively low-key. DHS' gets more sunshine, but it's clearly JB's show ? and to that same extent, drummer Hiseman gets to pull his wild cards out on the table. You'll find the odd inspiration in JB's jazz writing. The more modern-sounding track of the album? HCKHH Blues, without a doubt.

So, if not familiar with TWL, I'd strongly suggest that you lend an earshot (not even very attentive) before investing in the album, because the line-up (written out on the front cover) can (and will) induce into error. Is it a good standard jazz album?? Maybe so, but given the déjà-entendu sonics (save McL's electric interventions), it certainly sounds like a waste of talent at the time? I'd have loved to hear these guys let it all hang out in the wild JF/F affair.

Post a review of JACK BRUCE "Things We Like"