DOUBLE EGG WITH CHIPS AND BEANS

Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2006

1. Double Egg (4:25)
2. Son Of Cheese (5:59)
3. Son Of Bassoon (3:26)
4. Shatner's Bassoon (5:19)

Search ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS Double Egg With Chips And Beans lyrics

Search ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS Double Egg With Chips And Beans tabs

- Matt Baber / keyboards
- Joff Winks / guitar, vocals
- Paul Mallyon / drums
- Brad Waissman / bass

EP Troopers For Sound TFSCD002 (2006 UK)

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition

ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS Double Egg With Chips And Beans Music

Careful! It's TepidCareful! It's Tepid
2009
Double Egg With Chips And Beans (And A Tea)Double Egg With Chips And Beans (And A Tea)
EP · Import
Troopers For Sound

More places to buy ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS music online Buy ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS Double Egg With Chips And Beans ratings distribution

ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS Double Egg With Chips And Beans reviews

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars As odd as it seems, not only is the album cover simply beautiful, (okay it's just funny,) but the music on this EP is actually very good! Double Egg is the hard song to get through but it shows some Zappa influence which is always fun to listen to. Then things start off with Son of Cheese which sounds like a mix between Zappa and... some hard rock band. This song has some great guitar playing even if it is just a repetive riff. Son of Cheese flows seamlessly into Son of Bassoon which is also a nice track with some excellent piano playing, just making good music. The little interlude gives exactly it's desired effect, a calm little break from the otherwise rocky album. Shatner's Bassoon is the ending track, once again flowing almost seamlessly from the previous song, and it has to be my favorite song on the EP. The guitar playing is key to this song and the quirkiness makes it extremely loveable. Overall, very nice EP, very close to being great. 4 stars. EDITED: 8/30

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#237337) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 05, 2009

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Well I really love this one ... okay - the current (and final) EP of their trilogy 'Careful! It's Tepid' holds very interesting songs too. But taste is something very individual as we all know. However - this is my favourite ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS production. During a longer period (many months) I relatively often played this songs - now I'm about to describe why. Not an easy task by the way, especially because I believe this one is close to a masterpiece of progressive rock in the meanwhile.

Probably it's the atmosphere which appeals - a special snapshot so to speak. Recorded in one day the production sounds completely rounded to me. Additionally the songs are faded into each other which makes it easier to listen in one go. Don't know how much of the basics (songwriting etc) already had been worked out years before. During the recording time though the chemistry must have been excellent I'm sure - all four band members are experienced musicians and the instrumental interaction is nearly perfect.

'Double Egg' holds canterbury infected songs - really tricky, showing a lot of tempo and rhythm variations as well as zappaesque excursions. And it's rather melodic, sometimes inviting for singing along. Initiated by a riffing guitar the title track shines with synchronous vocals and electric piano which nicely expresses the successful longtime collaboration between Matt Baber (keys) and Joff Winks (guitar, voice). Although provided with some twists and turns (others may say because of that) this is a very very charming song.

And the band continues in this promising way with the grooving Son Of Cheese - a lesson about ... cheese (derivative of milk). 'You chew it down' - the lyrics have a deeper sense probably and I don't get it - in any case you are forced to sing along after a while. Son Of Bassoon now follows as a lovely piano solo which takes time to open the door for the follower Shatner's Bassoon in a quite unplugged mood - really wonderful!

The closing song passes some greetings on to Frank Zappa I would say - an avantgarde tinged track - catchy nonetheless - which finally is referring to the follower EP 'Careful! It's Tepid' provided by a mysterious alienated voice. 'Double Egg' offers nineteen highly enjoyable minutes, perfectly balanced but unfortunately very short on the other hand. Don't know what more to say - just check this one out - and preferably tell me that I'm right - 4.5 stars really.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#243660) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 08, 2009

5 stars I had mentioned after reviewing their third and final EP "Careful ! It's Tepid" that if I ever found this second EP I was going to put all three on one cd for one killer recording. Well Matt from the band read my words and was kind enough to send me this missing EP.This is the first time i've been sent music from a band who weren't expecting a review out of it. He just wanted me to have it. That certainly makes this cd special on it's own but add to the fact that I think this is their best EP and...well I feel really good right now. Rivertree (Uwe) had a challenge at the end of his review for this EP to private message him to tell him if he was wrong or not about the 4.5 star rating. I was the first to respond to that challenge and obviously I agree with his assessments. Maybe 4.5 stars is the proper rating but for me it's simply perfect from start to finish, I can give no less than 5 stars. By the way if the album cover was done by a Canadian band there would be eggs, toast, bacon and coffee. Just saying. It's cool to see that same plate inside the liner notes after the food has been eaten off of it, to see the faint picture of the debut album cover on it (the ugly nun).

"Double Egg" is a song that reminds me of when I was younger and i'd keep playing that hit song over and over.This is so good ! Nice guitar intro before the drums and bass arrive.Vocals before a minute. "Son Of Cheese" according to the band "expresses the terror of being stranded on a desert island with cheese as your sole food source". Bummer. It opens with water sounds before kicking into gear.This sounds amazing a minute in. It has to be heard to be appreciated. "Son Of Bassoon" features gorgeous piano melodies throughout. "Shatner's Bassoon" settles in before a minute then kicks back in as contrasts continue. I'm reminded of GENTLE GIANT and Zappa. Great sound 3 minutes in as the guitar lights it up.

If you can get your hands on any ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS material don't even hesitate.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#296720) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 30, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars The Breakfast Record

I may just have found one of my new favourite bands here! Continuing with their incredible melodic approach, Antique Seeking Nuns' second ep is nothing short of amazing. I keep whistling hooks and choruses off of these ep's whilst at work - so when I'm sitting on the see-saw or lying in a self made pillow castle, I'll suddenly be whistling or singing absurd lines about eggs and cheese. The kids love it though, but then again they tend to love people who love music - whatever that music may be. Music makes us better human beings - let's just face it.

There's an emphasis on electric keyboard and piano here driving the tracks forth with a hard edged guitar howling and grunting - backing up the sprawling rhythm section with some crunchy riffing. Speaking about those guitars, I do feel they've been incorporated more into the mix on this one - sometimes even relegating a distinctive lead role akin to a Canterbury version of Jimi Hendrix - without ever really bursting into a solo on their own. They're teasing and twisting, though never convoluted and obscure - as a matter of fact, you won't find anything on here that makes your brain catapult and somersault in sheer impossible gymnastics. The songwriting is just too good and honest for that to happen, and the prevailing carefree attitude and general feel good vibe trumps any other hidden agendas.

Like the first ep, this one too sports the Monty Pythonesque humour - with loads of priceless one liners and tongue in cheek lyrics, - yet just like the predecessor, Double Egg with Chips and Beans steers clear off all the loose mumbo jumbo - and does actually on occasion shift to utter beauty - remarkable stunning piano textures that alone twinkle twinkle little star - like serenading the moon in a cold windless night. Goosebumps for sure.

So this record is really a tale of two cities, where the fun maniacal tendencies intertwine most successfully with the grown up persuasive sprees of bone-chilling music. On the last cut this meeting is at its most obvious, as the music itself incorporates both sides of the fence - taking in the calypso vibe of the xylophone and mixing it with a mad swaying duo of soloing guitar and a synthesizer that both rise and rise - continuing to do so until they form some kind of rhythm foundation, whilst still continuing to float and bob relentlessly. This is just out of this world, and I commend any band who are able to stay this tight and focused while venturing out on ledges - playing unconventionally effervescent and soaring.

Like I said in my previous review of this band, I find it hard picturing myself rating an ep with 5 stars, but this one truly questions my reasoning. It's fun, engaging, memorable, melodic like you wouldn't believe and then some. The perfect soundtrack for sunshine, chocolate women and colourful drinks with umbrellas. Now how's that sound for a breakfast eh? Hell I'll give it 4.5 stars...

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#782307) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 05, 2012

4 stars What a meal ! I got this EP after getting in touch with Sanguine Hum for an interview. Antique Seeking Nun has morphed into that band. I can understand why when listening to this EP. It is very playfully tossing a lot of eggs up in the air in the hope that one of them will land as a full ... (read more)

Report this review (#366204) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, December 28, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANTIQUE SEEKING NUNS "Double Egg With Chips And Beans"