MICROCOSMOS

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Drudkh Microcosmos album cover

Buy DRUDKH Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Days That Passed (1:06)
2. Distant Cries of Cranes (9:37)
3. Decadence (10:32)
4. Ars Poetica (9:47)
5. Everything Unsaid Before (7:08)
6. Widow's Grief (1:07)

Total playing time - 39:17

Search DRUDKH Microcosmos lyrics

Search DRUDKH Microcosmos tabs

TBD. If you have any information, please contact ProgArchives.

CD Season of Mist July 14th 2009

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

DRUDKH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DRUDKH Microcosmos Music

Season of Mist 2012
The Swan RoadThe Swan Road
Remastered
Season of Mist 2010
Drudkh-Forgotten Legends,Autumn Aurora 2 ALBUMS ON SLAVONIC METAL OUT OF PRINT US $13.09 [0 bids]
Imperium Dekadenz-Meadows of Nostalgia cd new Enslaved Drudkh Borknagar US $14.00 Buy It Now 7h 9m
HATE FOREST Neitzcheism PATCH DRUDKH NOLTURNAL MORTUM DARK AGES US $5.39 Buy It Now 7h 42m
COLD BODY RADIATION- Deer Twilight cd Wolves In The Throne Room Agalloch Drudkh US $1.64 [0 bids]
GRAVELAND Thunderbolts Of The Gods NEW LP LTD 500 Moonblood Falkenbach Drudkh US $34.99 [0 bids]
GRAVELAND Creed of Iron LP 1st Press NC 040 LTD 500 Moonblood Falkenbach Drudkh US $66.66 [0 bids]
FALKENBACH En Their Medh Riki Fara cd graveland Drudkh Einherjer bathory lp cs US $12.50 [9 bids]
reverie - isolation, dissection fen woods of ypres inquisition darkspace drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
Peordh Bergelmir SEALED CD Black Metal satyricon mayhem drudkh graveland US $6.49 [0 bids]
MANEGARM Nordstjarnans Tildsalder cd bathory graveland enslaved drudkh einherjer US $10.50 [11 bids]
Forgotten Legends [Digipak] by Drudkh (CD, Sep-2009, Season of Mist) US $10.94 Buy It Now 20h 7m
NEGURA BUNGET Maiastru Sfetnic CD Digi Drudkh Graveland Ulver Nargaroth Abigor US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DRUDKH - The Swan Road LP 1. Press Faustian Distribution FREE SHIPPING!!! TAAKE US $79.99 Buy It Now 1 day
UNDINA Die Funfwindstrasse CD Gothic Death Doom Metal Drudkh US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Drudkh ?- ????????? ???? (The Swan Road) LP France NM Season Of Mist SUA 012LP US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Autumn Aurora [Digipak] by Drudkh (CD, Nov-2009, Season Underground Activists) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Agalloch - Pale Folklore CD Primordial Drudkh Asunder US $4.67 [0 bids]
WODENSTHRONE - Curse DLP (drudkh, wolves in the throne room, agalloch) US $14.99 [0 bids]
Hellebaard Fier Negura Bunget Drudkh Black US $6.66 [0 bids]
NORDISK VELDE - Wanderung ins letzte Licht DRUDKH US $9.90 Buy It Now 2 days
V/A - WOOD BROTHERS, New, Pagan/Heathen Black Metal,Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh US $11.00 [0 bids]
Hate forest Blood and fire (cd red stream) DRUDKH GRAVELAND NOKTURNAL MORTUM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Eldrig 'Everlasting War Divinity' FANISK NOKTURNAL MORTUM DRUDKH INFERNUM US $16.99 [0 bids]
War ?- Dawn Of New Epoch / The War Horde (cd) DRUDKH NORTH US $5.99 [0 bids]
KHORS - Abandoned Leaves CD 2013 - MINT Black Drudkh Hate Forest Eclectic US $9.96 [0 bids]
gjallarhorn - awakening, graveland norkturnal mortum mgla drudkh darkspace veles US $5.99 [0 bids]
potentian - years in the shadows, solstafir agalloch drudkh alcest fen arcturus US $5.99 [0 bids]
sokrovenno - de rerum natura, drudkh alcest agalloch dawn empyrium tenhi kvist US $5.99 [0 bids]
everlasting dark - return to darkness, saturnus tristania slumber rapture drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
act noir - automatisme psychique, dawn drudkh agalloch alcest empyrium tenhi US $5.99 [0 bids]
torturer - wind from the darkwood,tormentor abigor immortal darkthrone drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
frostmoon eclipse - dead and forever gone, agalloch ulver woods of ypres drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
malice - symphony of darkness, nargaroth dissection mgla marduk drudkh watain US $5.99 [0 bids]
Drudkh-Autumn Aurora CD MINT emperor, immortal, enslaved, opeth, dissection US $9.99 [0 bids]
fier - hellebaard, enslaved vintersorg einherjer negura bunget dordeduh drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
umbrtka - ivo, masters hammer alcest ulver agalloch fen primordial abigor drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
DRUDKH - HANDFUL OF STARS [DRUDKH] - NEW CD US $18.12 Buy It Now 2 days
alnamrood - Astfhl Al Tha'r, vlad tepes mortuary drape nokturnal mortum drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
lilyum - nothing is mine, darkspace nocternity alcest drudkh negura benget ulver US $5.99 [0 bids]
Drudkh - The Swan Road NEW CD Digi US $21.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Old Silver Key - Tales of Wanderings CD New Drudkh Alcest Agalloch US $13.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Hellveto- 2 cds Majestic Tyranny/Sire(split) Graveland Drudkh Moonblood US $3.99 [0 bids]
LUTOMYSL De Profundis CD ukrainian black metal a la drudkh hate forest astrofaes US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel CD New Jewel Case Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Handful of Stars CD New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Estrangement CD New Digi Agalloch Alcest Burzum US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
MAYHEM the meads of asphodel CD hate forest drudkh capricornus fleurety infernum US $9.99 [0 bids]
SERVILE SECT realms CD SEALED ecstatic peace liturgy caina alcest malkuth drudkh US $9.99 [0 bids]
Drudkh - The Swan Road CD New Jewel Case Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora CD New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Microcosmos CD New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Solitude CD New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Solitude CD Digi New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
UNDERDARK - Eternal Raw tape drudkh astrofaes kroda branikald darkthrone mayhem US $4.00 [0 bids]
GRAVELAND The Celtic Winter CD 1996 Bathory Woodtemple Drudkh Nokturnal Mortum US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ILDRA "To Elreordgum Landum" tape graveland bathory hate forest drudkh temnozor US $5.00 [0 bids]
NAGUAL Active Side of Infinity CD drudkh ukraine metal US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DARK AGES Chronicle of the Plague CD 2012 Remastered Drudkh Hate Forest Burzum US $12.90 Buy It Now 3 days
DARK AGES Tractatus De Hereticis CD DRUDKH HATE FOREST OLD SILVER KEY BURZUM US $12.90 Buy It Now 3 days
ALTAR SHADOWS Speckledy Falcons CD psychedelic Lithuanian black metal drudkh NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 3 days
WYRD "Wrath & Revenge" CD xasthur leviathan drudkh kadotus nortt nyktalgia ulver US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dark Ages - The Tractatus De Hereticis Et Sortilegiis LP ( Drudkh - Pragmatik ) US $22.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DRUDKH Microcosmos DARK AGES HATE FOREST ASTROFAES NEW! US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends [CD New] US $13.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Darkestrah - Epos Digi Cd RARE!!! Immortal Taake Emperor Drudkh FREE SHIPPING!!! US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SKOGYR Rainchants CD hypnotic Russian instrumental black metal drudkh woodtemple US $9.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells CD Digi New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
HATE FOREST Blood and Fire Ritual CD Drudkh black metal mint US $3.00 [0 bids]
LUCIFUGUM - Vector33 (CD, 2012) Black Metal, Drudkh, Khors, Hate Forest US $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
HATE FOREST - Purity (cassLP) / ULTRA RARE! Extreme BM(ASTROFAES, DRUDKH) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Arckanum - Fenris Kindir CD New Behexen Darkthrone Drudkh Watain US $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - Estrangement [ CD, Digipack, Season of Mist, IMPORT , NEW ] US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - Handfeul of Stars [ CD, Digipack, Season of Mist, IMPORT , NEW ] US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - The Swan Road [ CD, Digipack, Season of Mist, IMPORT , NEW ] US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - Handful of Stars CD 2010 post black metal Ukraine digipack US $11.95 Buy It Now 4 days
stielas storhett - vanderer, nokturnal mortum fen drudkh clandestine blaze mgla US $5.99 [0 bids]
locus mortis - voust, nokturnal mortum drudkh clandestine blaze mortuary drape US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
????? ?? - The Nigh, isengard nokturnal mortum drudkh graveland kvist nyktalgia US $5.99 [0 bids]
Blood in Our Wells by Drudkh (CD, May-2010, Season of Mist) US $9.13 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells [CD New] US $12.09 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH - HANDFUL OF STARS - SUA016CD US $19.25 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH - SONGS OF GRIEF AND SOLITUDE - SUA014CD US $18.42 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH - THE SWAN ROAD - SUA012CD US $19.25 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH - ETERNAL TURN OF THE WHEEL - SUA024 US $20.68 Buy It Now 5 days
DARK AGES Rabble Whores Usurers CD Ukrainian medieval ambient DRUDKH hate forest US $11.98 Buy It Now 5 days
Eastern Frontier in Flames by Drudkh (CD, Jan-2014, Season of Mist) US $9.07 Buy It Now 5 days
HATE FOREST Battlefields 180 gram LP ukrainian black metal Drudkh Astrofaes NEW US $26.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Drudkh - Eastern Frontier In Flames [CD New] US $11.24 Buy It Now 5 days
Burzum1 - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Drudkh) US $4.99 [1 bids]
DRUDKH - EASTERN FRONTIER IN FLAMES NEW CD US $20.84 Buy It Now 5 days
Drudkh Estrangement LP vinyl 2010 SEALED NEW Hate Forest Black metal US $37.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Drudkh: Handful Of Stars CD 2010 Season Of Mist SUA 016 Limited Edn Digipak NEW US $14.95 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH**SONGS OF GRIEF & SOLITUDE**CD US $12.88 Buy It Now 5 days
Drudkh - Handful Of Stars (NEW CD) US $22.82 Buy It Now 6 days
Drudkh - Songs Of Grief And Solitude (NEW CD) US $22.82 Buy It Now 6 days
Ildjarn - S/T CD New Drudkh Nachtmystium Taake Emperor Beherit Bone Awl Burzum US $15.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KLADOVEST Kladovest Digi CD, Drudkh Astrofaes Ygg Khors Raventale Ulvegr US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dordeduh ?- Dar De Duh (2LP vinyl) RARE negura bunget drudkh primordial black US $24.89 [0 bids]
KRODA Fimbulvinter 12"DLP, Drudkh Dragobrath Chur Khors Zgard Viter Velimor US $19.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy DRUDKH music online Buy DRUDKH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DRUDKH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DRUDKH Microcosmos ratings distribution

DRUDKH Microcosmos reviews

Review by J-Man
3 stars Splitting the Fanbase

Drudkh is a band that has received quite a lot of praise by black metal fans since their conception in 2002, with their albums Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora, and Blood in Our Wells often regarded as seminal folk/black metal albums. All of their other albums have been said to be fantastic as well, so the band has quite the positive reputation in black metal! For many people, Microcosmos doesn't entirely live up to their "Drudkh standards", but I personally find it to be another great album in their discography. Even though I am admittedly not the biggest black metal fan, and there are a few things here that bother me, I am generally pleased with Drudkh's seventh effort.

If you're familiar with Drudkh, this is unmistakably their sound. The band is firmly rooted in black metal, but they are much softer than most bands in the genre. Don't expect a whole lot of typical black metal brutality here; this band is much more focused on chilling, brooding, and sometimes beautiful songwriting. When it comes to black metal (a genre I don't usually care for very much), this is the type of music I really enjoy. Drudkh plays an atmospheric folk/black metal combination, something that works really well. Most of the songs here are pretty long, filled with many instrumental passages, time signature changes, and even atmospheric keyboard sections. This gives most of Microcosmos a rather progressive feeling, even though prog isn't the first word I'd use to describe the album. This is black metal in its most "musical" form, so if you're a critic of the genre for being to noisy and dissonant, this is worth a listen.

One of the reasons why many people don't love Microcosmos is because of the comparisons to Drudkh's previous efforts, but as a more casual listener I can enjoy this album all the same. This may not be quite as great as their earlier albums, but Drudkh is a high quality band, so that isn't saying very much. I just want to clarify that I don't believe for even a second that this is the "thud" in Drudkh's discography.

The musicians of Drudkh are very secretive (there are no pictures of them circulating the internet and they don't play live shows), and they have limited lineup information as well. Finding a concrete lineup for all of their albums is pretty difficult and questionable, but I believe this album was made by Thurios (vocals, keyboards), Roman Saenko (guitar, bass), Krechet (bass, keyboards), Vlad (drums, keyboards). Of course, this could be incorrect, but for the sake of this review, I will reference these musicians.

Microcosmos is a 6-track, 41:50 album. The opening track Days That Passed and the closing track Widow's Grief are short one minute intros and outros, so that really only leaves 4 "songs". All of these songs are pretty long, each going beyond the 9 minute mark. This further proves Drudkh's relevance as a progressive band, even though they aren't references in the prog metal genre. All of the songs here are fantastic, even though there are a few dull portions every now and again. Fortunately, they are few and far between, and don't create a big problem in the overall listening experience. All of the longer songs are extremely epic, and an absolute joy for me to listen to.

Drudkh is a very talented band compositionally, but they aren't exactly the tightest playing unit around. Most black metal bands aren't very tight, and that's something I've always disliked about the genre. I simply wish this was perfected in the studio with overdubs. Parts of this album almost sound like they were recorded in a live setting. This may be partially due to the somewhat weak production, however. All of the musicians are very capable, though, and I have to give them credit for that. Even though the delivery isn't always completely there, the talent definitely is.

As mentioned, the production is somewhat weak in my opinion. Black metal is notorious for having lo-fi productions, and although Microcosmos doesn't sound like it was recorded on an 8-track in some guy's basement, I can't say I'm a fan of the sound either. I just wish this were recorded with better sound, because I definitely would've enjoyed the album much more. It's an acquired taste, though, and I'm sure black metal fans will be in heaven with this one. I do enjoy how the lo-fi sound adds to the chilling atmosphere, but atmospheric productions don't nessacerily have to lo-fi to get the job done. If you want to hear a chilling black metal production that's still high quality, check out Negura Bunget's Om. That album has a killer sound that all black metal bands should take a hint from.

Conclusion:

Microcosmos is a really good album by Drudkh, and is definitely worth a purchase for anyone interested in the band. Even though I don't think it's their best work, it's still a great black/folk metal album that all fans of the genre should check out. My rating will be a 3.5 for this solid and enjoyable album. Had the production been better and the musicians been tighter, I would've definitely gone higher.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#291225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars Drudkh, have released a new album almost every year since their debut. The studioless year 2008 made many fans wait to the edge of their seats for "Microcosmos", which was put out the following year, with high expectations. But, as far as I'm concerned, the album did not give me the same feeling as all the previous ones gave me. In fact, I'm a little down in the mouth by saying that this is my least favorite Drudkh album.

"Microcosmos", is the one of the most progressive and ambitious albums of the band so far, paradoxically for somebody like me who particularly enjoys progressive music. No worries for Drudkh fans, the typical cold and bleak atmospheres are always present, and dominate the whole 41 minutes. What is new, and it is definitely something a fan would notice, is that many parts sound a lot more claustrophobic, nocturnal, and tense; I'm talking about the calmer parts, embraced inside almost all the tracks. These placid moments have been for a while part of Drudkh's characteristics, but never they have been dressed with such tension and enigmatic stillness. This, of course, is the thing I really like about the album.

There is nothing wrong in particular with this album; I just wasn't fond of most of the songs, finding them a little dull or just not worthy of ones attention. One of those album where you don't hate, or love, but it's destined to be forgotten in your collection, whether you like it or not.

Let me say though something about the songs I liked; I found the structure of the album very interesting, with an intro and outro that are about one minute long each, and four long songs that are the nucleus of the album. The second track, "Distant Cries Of Cranes" is definitely my favorite, despite it isn't usually the song people choose as the best of the album. But those atmospheres are so haunting and chilling, it's a near perfect song, thanks also to the brilliant middle part and the strong ending. Honestly I think the rest of the songs pale to the Distant Cries Of Cranes", even though some good parts are present in "Ars Poetica" or in "Decadence". Overall, "Everything Unsaid Before" didn't leave me anything to think of, no particular melody or such.

A mediocre album, I have to say, at times enjoyable but other times it feels a little heartless, despite Atmospheric Black Metal is one of those genres where this adjective is absolutely forbidden.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#412810) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars I'm not sure how to properly pronounce the name Drudkh, but it sounds like a noise I would make into a handkerchief. This band belongs on that part of the black metal spectrum that focuses on atmosphere, ambience and subject matters invoking concepts of nature and general moodiness as opposed to Satan worshipping mayhem with raw angry riffs. Years from now I would not be surprised if bands like this one, Alcest, WiiTR and others are regarded as some sort of different genre entirely rather than black metal itself.

Microcosmos has an almost shoegazing aspect to their music, with layered distorted guitars smoothly unleashing melancholic riffs, with one truly interesting aspect to their sound, that being the bass guitar. Not just in presence, but in technique and utilization, particularly during "Distant Cries of Cranes", in which the latter half of the song features bass soloing. The rhythms and tempos vary and change in an almost random fashion, which in this case is a positive aspect since this sort of droning tremolo riffage can get tiresome after awhile without occurrences to shake things up. There's also some guitar soloing and mellow passages to add variety to these tunes, and the album is bookended by folksy instrumentals.

Vocals are of a mid to high range growl as opposed to a more hysterical shriek normally associated with black metal, which is fine but gets monotonous as the album wears on. With not much variation in tone and volume level, the vocals seem more as just a means in which to display the lyrics into the song rather than an important piece of each song's construction. Production overall is fairly high quality going by black metal standards, with the drums loud and clear without overpowering the guitars whatsoever.

Strength-wise, "Distant Cries of Cranes" and "Everything Unsaid Before" are the most memorable cuts to me, possessing all of the best qualities of this album's ideas into two strong tracks that sound dissimilar from each other while sharing the mutual overall style and instrumentation. The remaining tracks are not bad by any means, but merely more of the same but at a less enticing level to my ears. Microcosmos is a fine addition to those fully immersed in their genre, but for the uninitiated, it might still be worth checking out for the unorthodox structures and cool bass lines.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#764546) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Post a review of DRUDKH "Microcosmos"