MICROCOSMOS

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Drudkh Microcosmos album cover

Buy DRUDKH Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Days That Passed (1:06)
2. Distant Cries of Cranes (9:37)
3. Decadence (10:32)
4. Ars Poetica (9:47)
5. Everything Unsaid Before (7:08)
6. Widow's Grief (1:07)

Total playing time - 39:17

Search DRUDKH Microcosmos lyrics

Search DRUDKH Microcosmos tabs

TBD. If you have any information, please contact ProgArchives.

CD Season of Mist July 14th 2009

Thanks to J-Man for the addition

DRUDKH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DRUDKH Microcosmos Music

Remastered
EstrangementEstrangement
Songs of Grief & SolitudeSongs of Grief & Solitude
Season of Mist 2010
SATANIC WARMASTER ...of the night ORIG NO COLOURS SEALED!-horna,watain,drudkh US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h
FOREST "Foredooming the Hope for Eternity" CD nokturnal mortum drudkh US $17.97 Buy It Now 7h 8m
FOREST "As a Song in the Harvest of Grief" CD nokturnal mortum drudkh US $17.97 Buy It Now 7h 10m
FOREST "Like A Blaze Above the Ashes" CD nokturnal mortum drudkh US $17.97 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Drudkh - The Swan Road US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 52m
Astrofaes "Dying Emotions Domain" LP RARE SPLATTER vinyl Drudkh Hate Forest US $19.99 [0 bids]
Negura Bunget Inarborat Kosmos Negura x/35 US Copies Mayhem Drudkh US $49.99 Buy It Now 12h 25m
Negura Bunget OM Negura x/35 US In-Hand absu mayhem drudkh enslaved agalloch US $79.99 Buy It Now 12h 25m
Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel CD 2012 black metal Ukraine digipack US $11.95 Buy It Now 15h 34m
Hate Forest "To Twilight Thickets" CD Drudkh Ildjarn Burzum Graveland Goatmoon US $7.99 [0 bids]
DRUDKH estrangement NORTHERN HERITAGE LP hate forest burzum nokturnal mortum US $30.00 Buy It Now 21h 42m
DRUDKH - EASTERN FRONTIER IN FLAMES - NEW CD US $9.37 Buy It Now 1 day
CRIMSON Fading CD dark autumnal chamber-rock Amber Asylum Drudkh fearthainne NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Eastern Frontier in Flames, Drudkh, Good US $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
PRIMORDIAL - IMRAMA 2001 SLIPCASE REISSUE SEALED ON HAMMERHEART BATHORY DRUDKH US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Burzum-Belus promo CD MEGA RARE Darkthone Mayhem Drudkh Judas Iscariot Strid US $5.50 [3 bids]
DRUDKH - AUTUMN AURORA [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Drudkh - Handful Of Stars [CD New] US $12.94 Buy It Now 1 day
NAV Halls of Death LP LTD 500 NEW Graveland Drudkh Old Wainds Veles Mutiilation US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DRUDKH Anti Urban RARE Orange MLP Graveland Burzum Nocturnal Mortum Watain Kroda US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAVELAND Thunderbolts Of The Gods LP LTD 500 Moonblood Falkenbach Drudkh US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GRAVELAND Creed of Iron LP 1st Press NC 040 LTD 500 Moonblood Falkenbach Drudkh US $79.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Old Silver Key-Tales of Wanderings lp ltd Drudkh Alcest Agalloch Primordial US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
One and All, Together, For Home Comp 2CD Digipak New Drudkh Kampfaf Primordial US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
EASTERN FRONTIER IN FLAMES - Drudkh US $11.56 Buy It Now 2 days
DRUDKH EMBROIDERED PATCH US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FORGOTTEN WOODS Sjel Av Natten SEALED import LP Joyless Hate Forest D US $7.50 [5 bids]
FORGOTTEN WOODS As the Wolves Gather SEALED import LP Joyless Hate Forest Drudkh US $19.50 [9 bids]
FORGOTTEN WOODS Through the Woods demos import pic disc LP Joyless Drudkh US $1.75 [3 bids]
FORGOTTEN WOODS Curse of Mankind import 2XLP w/shrink Joyless Drudkh Hate Forest US $18.50 [8 bids]
NARGAROTH embroidered PATCH Mayhem Burzum Drudkh BLACK METAL Graveland DSBM 666 US $2.99 [0 bids]
DRUDKH**EASTERN FRONTIER IN FLAMES**CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 2 days
lilyum - nothing is mine, darkspace nocternity alcest drudkh negura benget ulver US $5.99 [0 bids]
NAGUAL Active Side of Infinity CD Drudkh Hate Forest Nokturnal Mortem US $6.66 Buy It Now 2 days
PEORDH GLARING FROM SPACIOUS WOODS SEALED CD BLACK METAL drudkh burzum US $3.99 [0 bids]
PEORDH BERGELMIR SEALED CD BLACK METAL satyricon mayhem drudkh graveland US $6.49 [0 bids]
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry CD New Drudkh Nachtmystium Emperor Beherit Burzum US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Ildjarn - Strength And Anger CD New Drudkh Nachtmystium Emperor Beherit Burzum US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Eternal Turn of the Wheel * by Drudkh (CD, Feb-2012, Season of Mist) US $10.71 Buy It Now 2 days
BLACK METAL 6 CD LOT #1 - Dissection, Bathory, Drudkh, Sear Bliss, Immortal, etc US $11.50 [3 bids]
BLACK METAL 6 CD LOT #4 - Wolves in the Throne Room, Emperor, Drudkh, Manegarm US $8.27 [2 bids]
BLACK METAL 6 CD LOT #8 - Drudkh, Nokturnal Mortum, Woods of Desolation, etc US $6.66 [1 bids]
BLACK METAL 6 CD LOT #9 - Weakling, Drudkh, Woods of Desolation, In the Woods US $6.66 [1 bids]
PEORDH LOT OF 3 CDs NEW SEALED BLACK METAL burzum graveland drudkh US $15.99 [0 bids]
umbrtka - ivo, masters hammer alcest ulver agalloch fen primordial abigor drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
torturer - wind from the darkwood,tormentor abigor immortal darkthrone drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
fier - hellebaard, enslaved vintersorg einherjer negura bunget dordeduh drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
malice - symphony of darkness, nargaroth dissection mgla marduk drudkh watain US $5.99 [0 bids]
frostmoon eclipse - dead and forever gone, agalloch ulver woods of ypres drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
act noir - automatisme psychique, dawn drudkh agalloch alcest empyrium tenhi US $5.99 [0 bids]
everlasting dark - return to darkness, saturnus tristania slumber rapture drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
DRUDKH**AUTUMN AURORA**CD US $12.88 Buy It Now 2 days
sokrovenno - de rerum natura, drudkh alcest agalloch dawn empyrium tenhi kvist US $5.99 [0 bids]
Drudkh Blood in Our Wells 2006 OOP US $6.66 [0 bids]
DRUDKH - FORGOTTEN LEGENDS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $10.25 Buy It Now 3 days
CRUACHAN tuatha na gael ORIG 1995 NAZGUL'S EYRIE PROD.-alcest,agalloch,drudkh US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NOKTURNAL MORTUM To The Gates Of Blasphemous Fire RARE CD 2004 Slayer Drudkh US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NOKTURNAL MORTUM ???????? ORG CD 1st Press 2000 Graveland Kroda Drudkh Dub Buk US $44.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BLOOD OF KINGU sun in the house of the scorpio ORIG 2010 CANDLELIGHT REC-drudkh US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NOKTURNAL MORTUM Return Vampire Lord RARE CD 2003 Khors Drudkh Graveland Kroda US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
gjallarhorn - awakening, graveland norkturnal mortum mgla drudkh darkspace veles US $5.99 [0 bids]
potentian - years in the shadows, solstafir agalloch drudkh alcest fen arcturus US $5.99 [0 bids]
DRUDKH Microcosmos CD digi new black metal sealed US $6.66 [0 bids]
Ulver Nattens Madrigal 2 LP Yellow vinyl drudkh darkthrone agalloch US $50.00 [0 bids]
Underdark - Who is your Master? CD 2010 Drudkh dark electronic ambient US $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Blood in Our Wells by Drudkh (CD, May-2010, Season of Mist) US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
alnamrood - Astfhl Al Tha'r, vlad tepes mortuary drape nokturnal mortum drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
Drudkh Logo Patch - OFFICIAL! - Graveland Hate Forest Astrofaes Ildjarn Burzum US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DRUDKH The Swan Road DIGIPAK DARK AGES HATE FOREST US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DRUDKH Handful Of Stars DIGIPAK DARK AGES HATE FOREST US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells CD Jewel case New Burzum Alcest Agalloch US $14.00 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH-????????? ???? (The Swan Road)-DIGI-kladovest US $11.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DRUDKH - SONGS OF GRIEF AND SOLITUDE - NEW CD US $8.66 Buy It Now 5 days
Drudkh: The Swan Road CD 2010 Season Of Mist NEW US $12.95 Buy It Now 5 days
ASTROFAES "Dying Emotions Domain" CD drudkh old wainds US $17.97 Buy It Now 5 days
HATE FOREST "The Most Ancient Ones" CD drudkh immortal US $16.26 Buy It Now 5 days
MEHNIR "Die Ewigen Stiene" CD falkenbach drudkh US $16.26 Buy It Now 5 days
DARK AGES "Twilight of Europe" CD drudkh ildjarn US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
BLOOD OF KINGU "De Occulta Philosopia" CD drudkh hate forest US $17.97 Buy It Now 5 days
SOJARUUN "Talv" MCD drudkh arckanum US $12.83 Buy It Now 5 days
ASTROFAES "Live Hate" DVD drudkh demoncy US $18.82 Buy It Now 5 days
DARK AGES "The Tractatus de Hereticis.." LP drudkh hate forest US $23.96 Buy It Now 5 days
SVAFNIR "The Heathen Chapters" CD agalloch drudkh US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
DUB BUK "Rus Ponad Vse!" LP graveland drudkh kroda US $22.24 Buy It Now 5 days
AURVANDIL "Yearning" CD kampfar drudkh US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
WYRD / HAIVE / KEHRA "Split" LP ildjarn drudkh US $23.10 Buy It Now 5 days
OBTEST "Amzina Ausra" 7" drudkh forefather US $11.98 Buy It Now 5 days
DISSIMULATION "Atiduokit Mirusius" CD drudkh mgla US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
DARK AGES "The Tractatus de Hereticis.." CD drudkh US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
AGALLOCH "Ashes Against the Grain" CD enslaved drudkh US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
HATE FOREST "Dead But Dreaming" CD drudkh immortal US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
FEN / DE ARMA "Towards the Shores of the End" CD agalloch drudkh US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
HATE FOREST "The Curse" LP drudkh dark ages US $23.96 Buy It Now 5 days
FOREST "As A Song In The Harvest of Grief" CD drudkh nokturnal mortum US $18.82 Buy It Now 5 days
LUCIFUGUM "Acme Adeptum" CD drudkh judas iscariot US $16.26 Buy It Now 5 days
LOITS "Ei Kahetse Midagi" CD drudkh US $15.40 Buy It Now 5 days
BRANIKALD "Rusmjod Av Misantropie" LP drudkh nokturnal mortum US $23.10 Buy It Now 5 days
AGALLOCH "Pale Folklore" CD opeth drudkh alcest US $18.82 Buy It Now 5 days
PANTHEON "Vargrstrike" CD nachtfalke drudkh US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
LOITS "Ei Kahetse..." LP 500X drudkh negura bunget US $26.52 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy DRUDKH music online Buy DRUDKH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DRUDKH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DRUDKH Microcosmos ratings distribution

DRUDKH Microcosmos reviews

Review by J-Man
3 stars Splitting the Fanbase

Drudkh is a band that has received quite a lot of praise by black metal fans since their conception in 2002, with their albums Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora, and Blood in Our Wells often regarded as seminal folk/black metal albums. All of their other albums have been said to be fantastic as well, so the band has quite the positive reputation in black metal! For many people, Microcosmos doesn't entirely live up to their "Drudkh standards", but I personally find it to be another great album in their discography. Even though I am admittedly not the biggest black metal fan, and there are a few things here that bother me, I am generally pleased with Drudkh's seventh effort.

If you're familiar with Drudkh, this is unmistakably their sound. The band is firmly rooted in black metal, but they are much softer than most bands in the genre. Don't expect a whole lot of typical black metal brutality here; this band is much more focused on chilling, brooding, and sometimes beautiful songwriting. When it comes to black metal (a genre I don't usually care for very much), this is the type of music I really enjoy. Drudkh plays an atmospheric folk/black metal combination, something that works really well. Most of the songs here are pretty long, filled with many instrumental passages, time signature changes, and even atmospheric keyboard sections. This gives most of Microcosmos a rather progressive feeling, even though prog isn't the first word I'd use to describe the album. This is black metal in its most "musical" form, so if you're a critic of the genre for being to noisy and dissonant, this is worth a listen.

One of the reasons why many people don't love Microcosmos is because of the comparisons to Drudkh's previous efforts, but as a more casual listener I can enjoy this album all the same. This may not be quite as great as their earlier albums, but Drudkh is a high quality band, so that isn't saying very much. I just want to clarify that I don't believe for even a second that this is the "thud" in Drudkh's discography.

The musicians of Drudkh are very secretive (there are no pictures of them circulating the internet and they don't play live shows), and they have limited lineup information as well. Finding a concrete lineup for all of their albums is pretty difficult and questionable, but I believe this album was made by Thurios (vocals, keyboards), Roman Saenko (guitar, bass), Krechet (bass, keyboards), Vlad (drums, keyboards). Of course, this could be incorrect, but for the sake of this review, I will reference these musicians.

Microcosmos is a 6-track, 41:50 album. The opening track Days That Passed and the closing track Widow's Grief are short one minute intros and outros, so that really only leaves 4 "songs". All of these songs are pretty long, each going beyond the 9 minute mark. This further proves Drudkh's relevance as a progressive band, even though they aren't references in the prog metal genre. All of the songs here are fantastic, even though there are a few dull portions every now and again. Fortunately, they are few and far between, and don't create a big problem in the overall listening experience. All of the longer songs are extremely epic, and an absolute joy for me to listen to.

Drudkh is a very talented band compositionally, but they aren't exactly the tightest playing unit around. Most black metal bands aren't very tight, and that's something I've always disliked about the genre. I simply wish this was perfected in the studio with overdubs. Parts of this album almost sound like they were recorded in a live setting. This may be partially due to the somewhat weak production, however. All of the musicians are very capable, though, and I have to give them credit for that. Even though the delivery isn't always completely there, the talent definitely is.

As mentioned, the production is somewhat weak in my opinion. Black metal is notorious for having lo-fi productions, and although Microcosmos doesn't sound like it was recorded on an 8-track in some guy's basement, I can't say I'm a fan of the sound either. I just wish this were recorded with better sound, because I definitely would've enjoyed the album much more. It's an acquired taste, though, and I'm sure black metal fans will be in heaven with this one. I do enjoy how the lo-fi sound adds to the chilling atmosphere, but atmospheric productions don't nessacerily have to lo-fi to get the job done. If you want to hear a chilling black metal production that's still high quality, check out Negura Bunget's Om. That album has a killer sound that all black metal bands should take a hint from.

Conclusion:

Microcosmos is a really good album by Drudkh, and is definitely worth a purchase for anyone interested in the band. Even though I don't think it's their best work, it's still a great black/folk metal album that all fans of the genre should check out. My rating will be a 3.5 for this solid and enjoyable album. Had the production been better and the musicians been tighter, I would've definitely gone higher.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#291225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars Drudkh, have released a new album almost every year since their debut. The studioless year 2008 made many fans wait to the edge of their seats for "Microcosmos", which was put out the following year, with high expectations. But, as far as I'm concerned, the album did not give me the same feeling as all the previous ones gave me. In fact, I'm a little down in the mouth by saying that this is my least favorite Drudkh album.

"Microcosmos", is the one of the most progressive and ambitious albums of the band so far, paradoxically for somebody like me who particularly enjoys progressive music. No worries for Drudkh fans, the typical cold and bleak atmospheres are always present, and dominate the whole 41 minutes. What is new, and it is definitely something a fan would notice, is that many parts sound a lot more claustrophobic, nocturnal, and tense; I'm talking about the calmer parts, embraced inside almost all the tracks. These placid moments have been for a while part of Drudkh's characteristics, but never they have been dressed with such tension and enigmatic stillness. This, of course, is the thing I really like about the album.

There is nothing wrong in particular with this album; I just wasn't fond of most of the songs, finding them a little dull or just not worthy of ones attention. One of those album where you don't hate, or love, but it's destined to be forgotten in your collection, whether you like it or not.

Let me say though something about the songs I liked; I found the structure of the album very interesting, with an intro and outro that are about one minute long each, and four long songs that are the nucleus of the album. The second track, "Distant Cries Of Cranes" is definitely my favorite, despite it isn't usually the song people choose as the best of the album. But those atmospheres are so haunting and chilling, it's a near perfect song, thanks also to the brilliant middle part and the strong ending. Honestly I think the rest of the songs pale to the Distant Cries Of Cranes", even though some good parts are present in "Ars Poetica" or in "Decadence". Overall, "Everything Unsaid Before" didn't leave me anything to think of, no particular melody or such.

A mediocre album, I have to say, at times enjoyable but other times it feels a little heartless, despite Atmospheric Black Metal is one of those genres where this adjective is absolutely forbidden.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#412810) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars I'm not sure how to properly pronounce the name Drudkh, but it sounds like a noise I would make into a handkerchief. This band belongs on that part of the black metal spectrum that focuses on atmosphere, ambience and subject matters invoking concepts of nature and general moodiness as opposed to Satan worshipping mayhem with raw angry riffs. Years from now I would not be surprised if bands like this one, Alcest, WiiTR and others are regarded as some sort of different genre entirely rather than black metal itself.

Microcosmos has an almost shoegazing aspect to their music, with layered distorted guitars smoothly unleashing melancholic riffs, with one truly interesting aspect to their sound, that being the bass guitar. Not just in presence, but in technique and utilization, particularly during "Distant Cries of Cranes", in which the latter half of the song features bass soloing. The rhythms and tempos vary and change in an almost random fashion, which in this case is a positive aspect since this sort of droning tremolo riffage can get tiresome after awhile without occurrences to shake things up. There's also some guitar soloing and mellow passages to add variety to these tunes, and the album is bookended by folksy instrumentals.

Vocals are of a mid to high range growl as opposed to a more hysterical shriek normally associated with black metal, which is fine but gets monotonous as the album wears on. With not much variation in tone and volume level, the vocals seem more as just a means in which to display the lyrics into the song rather than an important piece of each song's construction. Production overall is fairly high quality going by black metal standards, with the drums loud and clear without overpowering the guitars whatsoever.

Strength-wise, "Distant Cries of Cranes" and "Everything Unsaid Before" are the most memorable cuts to me, possessing all of the best qualities of this album's ideas into two strong tracks that sound dissimilar from each other while sharing the mutual overall style and instrumentation. The remaining tracks are not bad by any means, but merely more of the same but at a less enticing level to my ears. Microcosmos is a fine addition to those fully immersed in their genre, but for the uninitiated, it might still be worth checking out for the unorthodox structures and cool bass lines.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#764546) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Post a review of DRUDKH "Microcosmos"