MEMORIA VETUSTA I: FATHERS OF THE ICY AGE

Experimental/Post Metal

Blut Aus Nord Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age album cover

Buy BLUT AUS NORD Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Slaughterday (The Heathen Blood of Ours) (6:49)
2. On the Path of Wolf... Towards Dwarfhill (5:46)
3. Sons of Wisdom, Master of Elements (6:07)
4. The Forsaken Voices of the Ghostwood's Shadowy Realm (6:01)
5. The Territory of Witches/Guardians of the Dark Lake (8:12)
6. Day of Revenge (The Impure Blood of Theirs) (5:16)
7. Fathers of the Icy Age (7:01)

Search BLUT AUS NORD Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age lyrics

Search BLUT AUS NORD Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age tabs

- Vindsval / all vocals and instruments

Released by Impure Creations Records
Recorded and mixed by Vindsval.
Front cover by Francois de Nomé "Les Enfers"
Re-released by Candlelight Records USA in 2005 as "Fathers Of The Icy Ages".

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

BLUT AUS NORD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLUT AUS NORD Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
777: Cosmosophy777: Cosmosophy
METALHIT.COM 2012
Memoria Vestusa III: Saturnian PoetryMemoria Vestusa III: Saturnian Poetry
Debemur Morti Prod. 2014
777 Sect(S)777 Sect(S)
Seasons Of Mist 2011
Memoria Vetusta: Fathers Of The Icy AgesMemoria Vetusta: Fathers Of The Icy Ages
CANDLELIGHT RECORDS 2015
Memoria Vetusta II-Diablo...Memoria Vetusta II-Diablo...
Thematic EmanationThematic Emanation
Tanglade 2005
Ultima ThuleeUltima Thulee
The Work Which Transforms GodThe Work Which Transforms God
777 - The Desanctification777 - The Desanctification
CAROLINE GENERAL CAT

More places to buy BLUT AUS NORD music online Buy BLUT AUS NORD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BLUT AUS NORD Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age ratings distribution

BLUT AUS NORD Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age" is the 2nd full-length studio album by French black metal act Blut aus Nord. The album was released through Impure Creations Records in 1996. The original version was limited to 1000 copies. The album was re-released by Candlelight Records US division in 2005 with the shortened title "Fathers of the Icy Age".

The music on the album is atmospheric and at times slightly experimental black metal. The vocals are raspy. The use of keyboards in the music really enhances the dark atmosphere and at times provide an epic touch to the tracks. The music is not symphonic though and the keyboards are generally very tastefully placed in the mix and clearly composed to create atmosphere rather than playing a lead role. The tempos in the tracks are mostly mid-paced but there are faster paced parts too. The generally (for black metal) slow pace also helps build the epic atmosphere that is present on the album.

The sound production is raw and a bit lo-fi, but not without charm, and it suits the rawness of the music well. Upon conclusion "Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age" is a good quality atmospheric black metal release and a great follow up to "Ultima Thulée (1995)". The music is intriguing and cleverly composed, the musicianship are solid, and the sound production suits the music, so I´d say a 3.5 star (70%) rating is fair.

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age' - Blut aus Nord (77/100)

The Memoria Vetusta series has become a lot more significant than I think it was first meant to be. I wonder what Vindsval's original idea for it was. Where Dialogue with the Stars and Saturnian Poetry both marked a melodic detour from Blut aus Nord's usual swirling ugliness, Fathers of the Icy Age wasn't really so much of a change from the debut. Things were less over-the-place than they were on Ultima Thulée, but I don't think Memoria Vetusta would be truly defined until this album's sequel a decade later.

That's not to say that Fathers of the Icy Age is anything short of excellence, just that Blut aus Nord's subsequent dive into coldly industrial territory would give their melodic bouts a greater sense of weight. Though it's arguably less ambitious than Ultima Thulée, Vindsval certainly put his late teens towards sharpening himself as one of black metal's strongest composers. Fathers of the Icy Age structurally bears a lot in common with their 2009 masterpiece Dialogue with the Stars, comprised of lengthy, epic pieces with a distinctly melodic bent amid the trademark eeriness. Much like Dialogue with the Stars (itself easily the highlight of this series) I'm impressed and surprised by how well melody is woven into these pieces. Blut aus Nord's guitars have always had a weird, grating edge to them. A lot of the best moments of this album are thanks to Vindsval's ability to amplify the signature weirdness with gorgeous leads and harmony.

Moreso even than the other Memoria Vetusta records, Fathers of the Icy Age has a lot of its success to thank for its highlight moments. Unlike Ultima Thulée, the songwriting all tends to follow a similar course, hopping between tense avant-garde riff builds and grand melodic resolutions. Because there's not a lot of variety in the songs this time around, the best material has a way of rising to the top while the rest suffers a bit. Look to the heartstopping clean vocal finale in "Slaughterday (The Heathen Blood of Ours)" or the tense melodic riffing in "Guardians of the Dark Lake" to get a taste for the best that Fathers of the Icy Age has to offer. "Slaughterday" in particular probably ranks up there with the best tracks this band has ever put out, and like "My Prayer Beyond Ginnungagap" from the album prior, makes me sad that Vindsval never made a more prominent use of his powerful cleans.

Fathers of the Icy Age is another quality album from Blut aus Nord, and while it would still take some good arguing to convince me it deserves mention alongside their very best, it's a feat unto itself that they managed to follow up the masterpiece debut and quite nearly surpass it. In some ways, I think Fathers of the Icy Age at least proved that Blut aus Nord were capable of honing and maturing their craft. Of course, within a few short years they'd be wandering off to their industrial cyber-hell, exchanging the melodic promise for mind-rending ugliness. Even if only as a forebear to Dialogue with the Stars however, Fathers of the Icy Age demands respect.

2 stars Very heavy black metal with a twist. Richard Wagner left a legacy. One of them is perhaps black metal. At least the type of black metal with a massive sound and some melody. We are not talking about the likes of Immortal and Darkthrone. We are talking about a band like Blut Aus Nord. Richard ... (read more)

Report this review (#241890) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, September 28, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLUT AUS NORD "Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age"