BARBARO (MA NON TROPPO)

Studio Album, released in 2009

CD:

1. Vertiges (16:25)
2. A Last Drop (11:25)
3. Jack The Ripper (16:22)

DVD:

Live at Rock In Opposition ? France Event, 2007

Electric Concert : Sunday, April 15

1. Jack The Ripper (16:01)
2. Ceux d'en Bas (suite) (12:46)
3. Promenade au Fond d'un Canal (26:14)

Two Pianos and Percussion: Saturday, April 14

4. Souls For Sale (24:14)
5. Vertiges (17:55)

Live at Gouveia Art Rock Festival ? Portugal, April 2006

6. The Limping Little Girl (12:43)
7. A Last Drop (11:36)
8. Vertiges (10:24)

Bonus archival videos

9. Present C.O.D. (7:27)
10. Present 94 (8:38)
11. Delusions At Orion (17:18)
12. Present 2001 in Wurzburg (6:39)

Total time: 173 minutes

-Pierre Desassis- saxaphone
-Udi Koorman- sound
-Laurent Van Gorp- tube

AD HOC RECORDS

Thanks to sinkadotentree for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

PRESENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PRESENT Barbaro (Ma non troppo) Music

The Flintstones Present Bedrock Hop * by Flintstones (CD, May-1994, Kid Rhino... US $4.49 [0 bids]
32m 55s
NEW - The Nadas Present: Bright Eyed ad Bushy Tailed US $14.50 Buy It Now 38m 7s
Shoes - Present Tense,1979 USA & Boomerang 1982 USA Origs. US $9.99 [0 bids]
43m 56s
(DE566) E-Z Rollers Present, Lickable Beats - DJ CD US $6.80 Buy It Now 44m 12s
The Jags 1980-1981 Evening Standards/ No Tie Like The Present Promo Power-Pop LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
MORGANA LEFAY - PAST PRESENT FUTURE +4 1995 BLACK MARK RECS GERMANY with poster US $7.80 Buy It Now 1h 13m
SHOULD Feed Like Fishes CD Wedding Present, Bedhead, Slowdive, Low, Yo La Tengo US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
SAGITTARIUS : PRESENT TENSE : SONY 11 TRACK JAPANESE CD WITH OBI US $24.22 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Steam...Past & Present 1970 Stereo British Rail Recordings Audio Fidelity US $7.50 [0 bids]
Soma Christo The Now Present Moment Beats Inside You LP private AZ xain gospel US $5.00 [1 bids]
Past, Present & Future [PA] by Rob Zombie (CD, Sep-2003, Geffen) US $2.49 [0 bids]
TOTO "NM DISC" Past to Present 1977 - 1990 : The Videos CSLM780 OBI LD AD0089 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Margaret Allison & Angelic Gos Hes My Ever Present Help CD US $9.26 Buy It Now 2h 7m
CD Dirtybird Players "DBP Present" label mix 2013 DIGIPAK US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAUL MAURIAT "NM WAX" Paul Mauriat Love Sounds Present PAT-1001 OBI LP Ae8209 US $4.99 [0 bids]
SHOES promo cassette PRESENT TENSE oop Original 1979 release nm POWER POP ROCK US $2.89 Buy It Now 2h 28m
CNBLUE PRESENT CN BLUE JAPAN BEST Album CD 1 DISK + Folded Poster K-POP Sealed US $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Present by The Roots (CD, Feb-2005, Image Entertainment (Audio)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Vintage 60s The Turtles Present The Battle of The Bands Gatefold Album Record LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
The Monkees Present Limited Edition 3 CD Box Set US $32.09 [3 bids]
3h
Past, Present & Future [PA] by Rob Zombie (CD, Sep-2003, Geffen) US $7.50 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Bill & Gloria Gaither Present: Amazing Grace by Bill Gaither (Gospel) (CD,... US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Bill & Gloria Gaither present Ryman Gospel Reunion audio cassette country gospel US $14.95 [0 bids]
Alvin Lives In Leeds - Wedding Present Robyn Hitchcock George Harrison cover US $8.00 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - The Present. Mint UK Gatefold Vinyl LP. Plus Insert. (1985) US $8.99 [0 bids]
The Neptunes Present Clones, CD & DVD, Location B5-108 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
SAMMY NESTICO / SWR BIG BAND - NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT NEW CD US $26.08 Buy It Now 4h 7m
HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I by Michael Jackson (CD, Jun-1995, 2... US $14.00 [0 bids]
Lot: 2 OREGON LPs Vanguard Music Of Another Present Era US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 15m
DJ Khaled and E-Class Present From the 305, DJ Khaled and E Class, New US $9.29 Buy It Now 4h 20m
WEDDING PRESENT Brassneck 45 rpm PICTURE SLEEVE RCA 1990 U.K. Press INDIE ROCK US $7.95 Buy It Now 4h 22m
TOTO Past To Present 1977 - 1990 cd YES Asia US $0.99 [0 bids]
NEPTUNES PRESENT CLONES CD NEW US $12.09 Buy It Now 4h 52m
HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I by Michael Jackson 2CD Set FREE SHIP!! US $6.99 [0 bids]
Present Tense by Sagittarius (CD, Jul-1997, Sundazed) US $12.00 [0 bids]
2CDs - The Neptunes Present "Clones" (2003) AND The Clipse "Lord Willin" (2002) US $6.25 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Past, Present & Future [PA] by Rob Zombie (CD, Sep-2003, Geffen) US $1.99 [0 bids]
HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I by Michael Jackson (CD, Jun-1995, 2 Di US $5.49 [0 bids]
WONROWE VISION - PICTURES OF THE PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE (Christian Metal) NEW CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
ZENITH PRESENT HITMAKERS VOL. II - VARIOUS ARTIST - COLUMBIA SP RECORDS - EX - US $5.49 [0 bids]
AL STEWART Past Present & Future JANUS 9098 3063 Canada 1974 VG+ US $5.48 [0 bids]
Back 2 Basics Present - Horns For 94 Back2Basics #44941 US $24.88 Buy It Now 7h 46m
CJ Lewis - Past Present & Future JAPAN CD+1Bonus W/OBI #22-1 US $3.59 Buy It Now 7h 54m
SHOES - PRESENT TENSE DEMOS NEW VINYL US $29.78 Buy It Now 7h 56m
SOLSONICS Jazz In The Present Tense 12" Vinyl 1993 Acid US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Present, New Music US $11.38 Buy It Now 8h 46m
SO FRESH - CHRISTMAS SONGS FROM PAST TO PRESENT - [ 2 CD ] COMPILATION 38 TRACKS US $13.92 Buy It Now 9h 10m
ABOVE & BEYOND PRESENT OCEANLAB: SIRENS OF THE SEA NEW ?????? CD 2008 ????? US $11.50 Buy It Now 9h 40m
ELTRO - PAST & PRESENT FUTURISTS NEW CD US $14.65 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Various Artists : All Tomorrows Parties 2.0 Present Shellac CD (2002) LIKE NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Past to Present 1977-1990 by Toto (CD, Sep-1990, Columbia (USA)) US $2.00 [0 bids]
SHANGRI-LAS SHANGRILAS I CAN NEVER GO HOME ANYMORE / 7INCH 45RPM / PAST PRESENT US $129.99 Buy It Now 11h 44m
WILD BEASTS - PRESENT TENSE - NEW 2014 CD ALBUM US $18.24 Buy It Now 11h 47m
TOTO, PAST TO PRESENT, 1977 to 1990 US $3.32 [0 bids]
Outkast - Big Boi & Dre Present Outkast CD US $10.60 Buy It Now 12h 10m
SHIRLEY EIKHARD - CHILD OF THE PRESENT (057362100725) - NEW CD US $13.56 Buy It Now 12h 24m
BILL GAITHER (GOSPEL - BILL & GLORIA GAITHER PRESENT: AMAZING GRACE - NEW CD US $13.18 Buy It Now 12h 25m
P. Diddy & Bad Boy Records Present ... We Invented The Remix, Various, Very Good US $2.77 Buy It Now 12h 30m
WEDDING PRESENT - HIT PARADE 1 JAPAN CD 1992 BMG VICTOR, BVCP-220 US $10.39 Buy It Now 12h 38m
CARLO LIO - PAST PRESENT FUTURE 2 NEW CD US $31.42 Buy It Now 12h 56m
CLANNAD cassette tape pop album PAST PRESENT lot 3659 US $8.68 Buy It Now 13h
Lee Perry & His Upsetters Present Roaring Lion: 16 Untamed Black Art Masters ... US $72.18 Buy It Now 13h 55m
CLANNAD / PAST PRESENT JAPAN CD OOP US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 58m
STRETCH N VERN present michel lombert 12" 2 trk pic disc vive le disceaux b/w le US $8.28 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Baobinga & I.D. present Big Monster (CD 2008) Digipak US $4.40 Buy It Now 14h 16m
PROMO Diane Renay It's in your Hands / A Present from Eddie 1964 45rpm US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 26m
Mark Pont - No Time Like The Present (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 14h 45m
Dessy,Jean-Paul Presents Present CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Big Boi and Dre Present...Outkast. US $0.99 [0 bids]
Various Artists : The High & Mighty Present: Eastern Conference All Stars 3 CD US $4.37 Buy It Now 15h 2m
CLAUDIA BRUCKEN kiss like ether 12" 3 trk earth mood magic in a present tense b/ US $8.28 Buy It Now 15h 2m
Cd x2 FUKUYAMA MASAHARU Birthday Present 1997 ???? ???? US $35.00 Buy It Now 15h 3m
THE MOODY BLUES "THE PRESENT" LP VINYL RECORD NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
HOW TO BUILD MAKE YOUR OWN SNOWGLOBE SNOW CARAVAN CHRISTMAS PRESENT TOY RARE CD US $11.60 Buy It Now 15h 21m
CD, Southern Gospel,BILL & GLORIA GAITHER PRESENT "HOW GREAT THOU ART" US $5.99 [0 bids]
KOREA - FOR THE PRESENT PURPOSE - NEW CD US $8.27 Buy It Now 15h 35m
SAGITTARIUS PRESENT TENSE+ 60s POP PSYCH SUNDAZED CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 15h 36m
Music of Another Present Era - Oregon New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $17.20 Buy It Now 15h 56m
BLUE RIDGE PRODUCTIONS PRESENT various 12" 6 trk compilation featuring virginia US $8.28 Buy It Now 15h 59m
BLUE RIDGE PRODUCTIONS PRESENT various 12" 6 trk compilation featuring virg US $8.28 Buy It Now 15h 59m
BLUE RIDGE PRODUCTIONS PRESENT various 12" 6 trk compil US $8.28 Buy It Now 15h 59m
Wedding Present:live 1987 - Present Wedding New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $21.22 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam Present, Past, and Future Cassette Tape New Sealed US $4.99 Buy It Now 16h 13m
THE WEDDING PRESENT / BIZARRO / CASSETTE TAPE / RCA US $6.62 Buy It Now 16h 25m
THE WEDDING PRESENT - KENNEDY - 12" SINGLE 45 RPM - UK IMPORT US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 33m
BROTHERS IN RHYTHM PRESENT CHARVONI forever and a day 12" 3 trk featuring origin US $8.28 Buy It Now 16h 33m
The Wedding Present - It's A Gas 4 Track Vinyl 12" Single Purple Vinyl US $4.96 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - THE PRESENT - CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM US $16.58 Buy It Now 16h 43m
SESSIONS PRESENT - INVISIBLE MOODS - RCA SPECIAL PRODUCTS TWO RECORD SET - EX US $5.99 [0 bids]
Supersister - Present From Nancy (NEW CD) US $19.48 Buy It Now 16h 51m
CNBLUE - Japan Best Album: Present CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $17.98 Buy It Now 16h 55m
A Gift Of Love: Deepak & Friends Present Music Inspired By The Love Poems Of Rum US $8.98 Buy It Now 16h 57m
MORGANA LEFAY - PAST PRESENT FUTURE (BMCD 84) (RARE SWEDISH HARDROCK) CD US $25.00 Buy It Now 17h 3m
The Moody Blues Present USA Cassette Tape US $2.00 Buy It Now 17h 13m
Spirit of Christmas Present - Geoffrey Webber New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.23 Buy It Now 17h 14m
THE WEDDING PRESENT - The Queen Of Outer Space - 1992 UK 7" Vinyl Single PS EX US $4.96 Buy It Now 17h 15m
ROCK IN HONG KONG PRESENT REMIX-MEGA-MIX SPECIAL DJ MIX CATTETTES ITALO EUROBEAT US $20.00 Buy It Now 17h 25m
MCA AND ZEBRA PRESENT JAZZ TAKES A HOLIDAY WHITE VINYL, LP RECORD, US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 35m
Valentina - Wedding Present New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.22 Buy It Now 17h 40m
MARGARET ALLISON & ANGELIC GOSPEL SINGERS - HE'S MY EVER PRESENT HELP NEW CD US $23.79 Buy It Now 18h 7m

More places to buy PRESENT music online Buy PRESENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PRESENT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PRESENT Barbaro (Ma non troppo) ratings distribution

PRESENT Barbaro (Ma non troppo) reviews

4 stars 4.5 stars.It's been 8 long years since the last PRESENT album ("High Infidelity") so I was very anxious to get the new one. I received it about a week ago and have been giving it plenty of spins. Interesting that the core six of the lineup from "High Infidelity" are still here. Roger Trigaux and his son Reginald on guitars, Pierre Chevalier on piano and keyboards, Dave Kerman on drums and percussions, Keith Macksoud on bass, and Matthieu Safatly on cello. We also get Pierre Desassis on sax, and our own Udi Koomran is back to make sure this sounds perfect (and it does). This comes with a 3 hour DVD of live material as well. I'm going to focus on the studio album only. One of the first things I noticed is that this album has no vocals, it's an all-instrumental affair.The length of this cd is just over 44 minutes of music, which for me is really refreshing after all those 70 plus minute cds we seem to get these days. Three tracks including a cover of UNIVERS ZERO's "Jack The Ripper" from their "Heresie" album. Maybe it's just me but this new PRESENT album has more in common with their first two records then the ones inbetween.

"Vertiges" is a good example of this with the collage of sounds that fill the soundscape. It's just a joy to try to pick out all the different sounds that come and go. Some great piano then it settles with cello. Some huge bass comes and goes as well. This is great as the tempo continues to shift. Intense 6 1/2 minutes in. Sax 8 minutes in. A haunting calm before 10 minutes then it kicks back in after 11 minutes. Great section. Eerie sounds as it settles before 12 minutes. Lots of cello and abrupt outbursts. The tempo starts to pick back up before 14 minutes. Nice bass lines here with guitar. The piano that follows really impresses.

"A Last Drop" opens with piano then these prominant bass lines join in. So much going on though. Check out Kerman ! This builds to an intense climax then an eerie calm follows. A pleasant calm after 7 minutes then it kicks back in. It's building. This is amazing ! It settles once again after 8 1/2 minutes pretty much to the end. "Jack The Ripper" has this dark and haunting intro (surprise) as cello joins the sparse piano. More intense after 2 1/2 minutes as it builds. It then settles with guitar and cello 5 minutes in. It kicks back in with slicing cello and some fat bass. A dead calm 7 minutes in then strange sounds come in as it builds. So intense 10 minutes in then we get a calm. It's building again with piano this time and strange guitar sounds. Suspense until 14 1/2 minutes in. It then picks back up 15 minutes in to the end.

This has to be in my top three of favourite PRESENT albums although they all are so good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#248200) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars Present's latest features three extended compositions, one of which is a cover of a Univers Zero track. This album costs a pretty penny, partially because it comes packaged with a DVD of live material, and it might be hard to consider shelling over that much money for what is really just two new compositions.

Let me tell you that you won't feel like you wasted a cent.

The music on this album is absolutely superb. It is my first experience with the Belgian RIO scene but boy did it make me care a lot. From the first ten seconds of the opening track, "Vertiges", I was absolutely captivated and knew that my money had not gone to waste.

The sound of the album is dense, aggressive, dark, dangerous, and at times even a little frightening. This is not a band trying to win you over with catchy hooks or melodies. The music is incredibly well crafted dramatic darkness. The entire band is very talented, and the interplay between the instruments really works well.

I haven't listened to the original version of Jack The Ripper unfortunately (I've only recently begun my journey through the music of Univers Zero, starting with their most recent as well) but the version on this album is definitely an enjoyable listen. Whenever I play it, if my roommate happens to overhear, he always comments that it sounds like I am listening to "Serial Killer Music" (which I have since informed him means the band is probably doing their job right, given the subject matter).

So, musically satisfied from the CD, I moved on to the DVD, and it too was an excellent experience. My favorite clips are the three from their electric concert at RIOFest 2007. Their first track is Jack The Ripper, and it is amazing how well they are able to pull it off live. Each band member seems to get their own personality through the show too. The bassist always makes me think of what Malcolm Reynolds (from Firefly) would be like if he played bass. No idea why, maybe it's the haircut. Pierre Chevalier is like the Lex Luthor of keyboards. Bandleader Roger Trigaux is like the mad scientist of the group. (His presence conducting the last track, Proemanade... is somewhat terrifying). Drummer Dave Kerman just seems like he's having a good time, yet at the same time his skill with the instrument is apparent. And so forth.

There are also some surprising moments on the two tracks that aren't covered on the album - the ghoulish vocals of the Trigaux clan on Ceux d'en Bas really made an impression on me, as did the appearance of Laurent Van Gorp on tube at the end of Promenade... (watch the video, you'll see what I mean).

The other videos are all interesting as well - the grand piano version of Vertiges was pretty different from the album version for example, but still an interesting listen. (I do prefer the live version from the 2006 set though, I like the way it sounds with more instruments).

Ultimately - a great purchase from a great band, I mean if it weren't for the price tag, I'm pretty sure this album would have created a lot more buzz around here by now.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#307723) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars 4.5 stars really!!!

Intro: It had been a while since present had released a new studio album (Hi Indefidelity dated from the first part of the 00's), and the live album (of a 90's tour) only partly quenched our thirst for more of the same (Ma Non Troppo, if possible ;o)))) ?. And to say the least, our patience got only half-rewarded?. Only three tracks (rather long, though) for a rather short album (by today's standards), and one of them being a re-visitation of an UZ's early classic. But to make-up for that, the ReR label added a superb and much-awaited-for DVD containing almost all of the available live Present footage all era included. The two discs come in a Cd + DVD package that's become a bit Cuneiform's trademark (ReR is a close collaborator and most of Present's discography in on Feigelbaum's label) and thus making it an absolute must for fans. The modern (now) line-up is fairly much the same as it was when I'd last seen them in 04 at Studio Athanor (an evening spent first in a UZ concert played a mile away, then in the company of Guy Seghers for a gigantic amounts of laugh and chicks a-go-go >> I kid you not, at a Present concert!!!), and it's quite a joy to hear their communion in the studios, sort of an intergenerational paternal:child friendly and musical confrontation: Roger, Chevalier and Kerman "crossing blades" with Reginald, Safaty and Desassis

First the studio album: the two "new" tracks are your typical Present tracks, even if with the "new" expanded line-up, there is little possible confusion and you couldn't possibly confuse it with any other band in the world, UZ included. Even the Jack the Ripper (present ? so to speak - on UZ's Hérésie album) sounds like the typical Present tune, despite a DD compositional touch that (thankfully) couldn't be expunged and Udi Koomran's production is absolutely phenomenal, even if this is hardly an incident, given the man's usual talent. Vertiges is pure bliss, while Last Drop (the one that overflowed the teacup) drips suaveness with its classical influences. These "songs" have obviously existed for a while, since Last Drop was played live in 06 and Vertiges since 07.

Next come the DVD: the main attraction of this double-disc set, and also produced by the mega-fine Udi, even if he had to deal with the original sound quality of the historical footages. Starting oiut with the RIO 2007 set (Trigaux is one of the co-organizers), comprising of only three tracks, all of them from the old days, including UZ's Ripper, the classic Ceux D'En Bas (from their N°6) and the ultra-classic Promenade Au Fond d'Un Canal, the latter having an outstanding self-destructing finale, when some human beast dressed as a wild Scot/Pict savage ala Braveheart comes in the forefront and starts hitting binary-ly a metal bar with a hammer as the band's crescendos until they reach the point of no return when Roger destroys his guitar on the stage and on his keyboard, while Kerman is chaining his skin and the whole group goes bezerk. A sure way to get a standing ovation, which they'll get. The second part is the next day's acoustic concert involving two pianos (Chevalier and De Vleeshouwer) and tons of percussions, including two and a half drum sets (Kerman and as a surprise appearance Daniel Denis, while Roger bangs as he can ion a partial set) and other hitting instruments (I think they're seven on stage at one point), the whole thing on some visual effects (in the type UZ had developed for their Implosion tour in 04), thus giving an awesome unique experience concert to the first Carmeaux RIO festival. Just as much a treat as the next day's normal set, probably a tad more enjoyable due to its unique one-shot-only nature . more stuff on the DVD: the previous year, Present had participated to the Portuguese festival in Gouveia and had given a solid, but "normal" set (given the usual festival set length), providing a fairly different set than Carmeaux's (but filmed in 4/3 format), including the classic Limping Girl (again from N°6). Further down (and a bit accessorily), we get some excerpts of the Trigaux father and son COD (side-) project on two electric guitars. Another treat is the outdoors Carmeaux' prior-to-RIO festival's 94 edition excerpt, where Present played (with Daniel on drums), while other tidbits date from Wurzburg's 01 festival and an Orion appearance.

Conclusion: If you're anywhere close to a RIO-Zeuhl-Avant-prog fan, this double- disc package is an absolute must (in good part due to the DVD, but not just that) and one to treasure away, much the same way you would, once Daniel and Steve agree to release the much-awaited UZ future DVD to come (hint, hint, guys ;-)))). But let's leave the wishful thinking to the fantasy realm and head back to the Present reality. Definitely not a cheap artefact, but it's definitely worth the investment and it might even be adequate as best possible introduction to a newbie to Present's musical realm.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#375077) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 07, 2011

Review by Starhammer
4 stars Ode to a dark alleyway....

After an eight year gap from their last 'burst' of activity the Belgian RIO royalty deliver the goods again.

The Good: I've always enjoyed Present's albums from the 1980s but found their overall effect to be diluted by weak production. In contrast this album provides all the brooding tension of their earlier works, but in a high fidelity package. I also love the variation found on this release, from the darkly atmospheric Vertiges, to the more upbeat, almost groovy A Last Drop.

The Bad: I prefer the opening two tracks to the Univers Zero cover, Jack the Ripper, although this is marginal and may just be because they're fresher.

The Verdict: Turn off the lights and turn up the volume.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#439499) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars I wasn't impressed by Present's comeback album Certitudes, which I thought fell far short of their first two great studio albums, but Barbaro has convinced me that I really need to take take another look at the albums that followed Certitudes, because there's some great stuff on here. Even if you set aside the fantastic DVD that comes with this set and is stuffed full of juicy live performances from the band, the CD comes with two great chamber rock spookfests as well as a fine performance of Jack the Ripper, one of Roger Trigaux' Univers Zero-era compositions which had pride of place on their classic Heresie. On the whole, because of the inclusion of this cover version I am inclined to consider this a DVD set which happens to have an EP attached, but the whole package is good enough to make me want to explore latter-day Present a bit more.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#744065) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012

5 stars Barbaro got my attention on the list of 'TOP 100 Little Known But Highly Rated Studio Albums of All Time''. I did not hesitate to get the album since I am really interested in rock in opposition and Belgian progressive music at the same time. Musicianship limits was really pushed hard in this al ... (read more)

Report this review (#300681) | Posted by omardiyejon | Monday, September 27, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Six stars. Best music of all time. This is the definition of 21st century progressive music. Summary: unequalled compositions and musicianship. After an intensive listen to Barbaro (ma non troppo), Close to the Edge or Thick as a Brick seems to have the musical appeal of a nursery rhyme or "t ... (read more)

Report this review (#271908) | Posted by spleenache | Sunday, March 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Present is one of those bands that just keeps getting better with each release. They've released some amazing stuff since their comeback with Certitudes (if we don't count the C. O. D. Performance) and each release bested its predecessor. The last studio album came in 2001, so expectations were nat ... (read more)

Report this review (#250035) | Posted by maribor | Wednesday, November 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PRESENT "Barbaro (Ma non troppo)"