BARBARO (MA NON TROPPO)

Studio Album, released in 2009

CD:

1. Vertiges (16:25)
2. A Last Drop (11:25)
3. Jack The Ripper (16:22)

DVD:

Live at Rock In Opposition ? France Event, 2007

Electric Concert : Sunday, April 15

1. Jack The Ripper (16:01)
2. Ceux d'en Bas (suite) (12:46)
3. Promenade au Fond d'un Canal (26:14)

Two Pianos and Percussion: Saturday, April 14

4. Souls For Sale (24:14)
5. Vertiges (17:55)

Live at Gouveia Art Rock Festival ? Portugal, April 2006

6. The Limping Little Girl (12:43)
7. A Last Drop (11:36)
8. Vertiges (10:24)

Bonus archival videos

9. Present C.O.D. (7:27)
10. Present 94 (8:38)
11. Delusions At Orion (17:18)
12. Present 2001 in Wurzburg (6:39)

Total time: 173 minutes

-Pierre Desassis- saxaphone
-Udi Koorman- sound
-Laurent Van Gorp- tube

AD HOC RECORDS

Thanks to sinkadotentree for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

PRESENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PRESENT Barbaro (Ma non troppo) Music

STEELEYE SPAN - PRESENT: THE VERY BEST OF STEELEYE SPAN - NEW CD BOXSET US $15.72 Buy It Now 37m 7s
THE RESIDENTS Present The Third Reich 'N Roll (LP) US $24.00 Buy It Now 47m 42s
THE RESIDENTS Present Sonidos De La Noche - Coochie Brake (LP) US $24.00 Buy It Now 47m 42s
Savoy Present Dixieland - Ben Pollock & his Californians -7" - w/ Picture Sleeve US $5.99 Buy It Now 55m 47s
AMERICAN CONFERENCE OF CANTORS present 19/"CHAI LIFE"+1 US $24.00 Buy It Now 56m 5s
Past Present & Future - Rob Zombie New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.12 Buy It Now 1h 2m
"At the Present Moment" Peggy Seeger Ewan MacColl 1973 Rounder Records 4003 US $10.99 [0 bids]
Ukrainian John Peel Sessions by The Wedding Present (CD 1989) US $4.40 [1 bids]
Past & Present, Knauls, Lillie, New US $12.28 Buy It Now 1h 27m
INDIES PRESENT THE FREESTYLE KINGS VOL. 3.5 - BRAND NEW/SEALED - PARENTAL ADVIS. US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Diseased Oblivion - Portals Of Past And Present TAPE US $4.99 [0 bids]
V/A PAST PRESENT REV LP YELLOW WAX (335 PRESS) SEALED SXE NYHC SOIA BOLD TERROR US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
MICHAEL JACKSON-HISTORY PAST,PRESENT AND FUTURE BOOK I-2 GOLD CDS SET-USA-VG+ US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
MICHAEL JACKSON-HISTORY PAST,PRESENT AND FUTURE BOOK I-2 GOLD CDS SET-USA-MINT- US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Present JAPAN 3 titles Mini LP SHM-CD SS + PROMO BOX SET US $139.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Present/Future Eagle-Eye Cherry MUSIC CD US $8.82 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Pierre HENRY Messe Pour le Temps Present Metamorphose French 2LP Remix Colombier US $26.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
The Little Men present Work in Progress 12" Vinyl UK Drop Music US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Moody Blues - The Present - Justin Hayward / John Lodge / Ray Thomas - G. Edge US $5.00 [0 bids]
MICHAEL BALL - PAST & PRESENT: VERY BEST OF NEW CD US $16.01 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Boney James A Christmas Present CD New Sealed Jazz Rick Braun Chante Moore US $8.25 Buy It Now 3h 41m
The Centimeters - Present The Facts Of Destiny CD 1999 Win Records WIN035 US $27.59 Buy It Now 3h 41m
UB40 ONE IN TEN / PRESENT ARMS IN DUB P/S 7DEP2 1981 EXCELLENT CONDITION US $1.61 [0 bids]
Various Artists : Old Grey Whistle Test Present Country CD (2011) US $12.95 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Old Grey Whistle Test Present Prog Rock CD US $13.59 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Sammy Nestico - No Time Like The Present CD US $22.06 Buy It Now 6h 51m
LeAnn Rimes - Past, Present & Future Radio Special CD Promo Australia (SAMP 966) US $13.20 Buy It Now 6h 53m
CLANNAD cassette tape album PAST PRESENT US $11.76 Buy It Now 7h 29m
Past, Present & Future [CD + DVD] US $11.15 Buy It Now 8h 2m
The Wedding Present - Sticky UK 7" US $7.24 Buy It Now 8h 17m
ROSEMARY CLOONEY 45 SINGLE-CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO SANTA JOSE FERRER-VG ++ US $3.49 Buy It Now 8h 31m
Clannad : Past Present CD (1989) US $3.15 Buy It Now 8h 36m
THE FUTURES / Past, Present and The Futures JAPAN CD Mini-LP w/OBI EICP-1349 US $35.00 Buy It Now 9h 2m
RSD 2014 THE WEDDING PRESENT EP 4 CAN 10" VINYL SEALED US $29.02 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Present for the Future CD US $5.78 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Dew - Present - Japan CD - NEW J-POP Limited Edition US $25.64 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Clannad Past Present 16 Trk CD Album Best Of Greatest Hits Collection Singles US $8.05 Buy It Now 9h 14m
RAJ + PABLO PRESENT - Bollywood Nights (2002) FREEPOST CD US $5.47 Buy It Now 9h 19m
C.J Lewis - Past present & Future The Greatest Hits - Japan CD - 15Tracks CJ US $7.95 Buy It Now 9h 20m
Present Tense by Wild Beasts (Audio CD) US $16.74 Buy It Now 9h 39m
CNBLUE / Present : CNBLUE Japan Best Album CD New SEALED US $23.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
VARIOUS ARTISTS/THE - PRESENT (014381263923) - NEW CD US $1.49 Buy It Now 9h 51m
PRODIGY Present The Dirtchamber Sessions MOON import CD UKRAINE US $14.90 Buy It Now 10h
THE NEPTUNES PRESENT CLONES CD MINT US $8.05 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Various Artists-Ltj Bukem & Mc Conrad Present Progression Sessions 4 CD Import, US $35.05 Buy It Now 10h 6m
THE MOODY BLUES,PRESENT/OCTAVE/HITS/DREAM/BLUE/VOYAGER,6 RARE CASSETTE JOB LOT US $6.78 [8 bids]
MICHAEL ZENTNER present time LP NM fred frith peter blegvad daevid allen muffins US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 15m
PRESENT - LE POISON QUI REND FOU (045775038322) - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Past Present & Future 0602498607107, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $13.86 Buy It Now 10h 31m
THE MOODY BLUES_The Present_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $10.57 Buy It Now 10h 37m
HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I by Michael Jackson (CD, May-1995, 2... US $40.00 [0 bids]
NINA MIRANDA & CHRIS FRANCK PRESENT ZEEP ~ CD Album VGC! US $8.37 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Wedding Present - You Should Always Keep In Touch...MEGA RARE UK 7" NM US $16.05 [0 bids]
ATTICA BLUES present Drum Major Instinct pal joey OC innershade No smoke Koro US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Your Present: A Half-Hour of Peace - Guided Relaxation CD - Half Hour of Peace US $18.95 Buy It Now 11h 33m
Present - Certitudes 1998 USA CD Progressive & Art Rock *32-1 US $13.99 Buy It Now 11h 34m
PIERRE HENRY Messe pour le Temps Present Philips lp Psy avant garde bejart US $12.00 Buy It Now 11h 48m
The Lettermen present Tony Butala 45 (187) US $3.00 Buy It Now 12h 6m
CLANNAD Australian Tour Poster 2013 A2 ENYA Past Present Banba Macalla U2 ***NEW US $22.02 Buy It Now 12h 16m
DAVID GEDGE (The Wedding Present) - 1988 Music Press Poster US $14.50 Buy It Now 12h 39m
THE SHOES present tense LP co USA power pop oop ROCK L@@K US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Wedding Present - George Best (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 12h 43m
SHOES-PRESENT TENSE-ELEKTRA 6E-244 NEW SEALED NO BARCODES power pop LP US $10.78 Buy It Now 12h 45m
The Wedding Present - Seamonsters (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 12h 46m
The Wedding Present - Tommy (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 12h 49m
The Wedding Present - The Hit Parade (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 12h 52m
The Wedding Present - Watusi (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 12h 55m
7 VINTAGE MONKEES LP 33 RECORDS HEAD PRESENT MORE INSTANT REPLAY BIRDS US $150.00 [0 bids]
My Heart Is Ever Present Super Audio CD (CD, Nov-2009, Simax) US $11.74 Buy It Now 12h 56m
The Wedding Present - Saturnalia (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 12h 58m
The Wedding Present - Mini (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 13h 2m
FRANK SINATRA Past Present Future 3-LP Set Billy May Don Costa Gordon Jenkins NM US $19.98 Buy It Now 13h 3m
The Wedding Present - Bizarro (2014) Deluxe 3CD+DVD NEW SPEEDYPOST US $32.18 Buy It Now 13h 5m
THE KINKS PRESENT A SOAP OPERA US $1.00 [0 bids]
Futures "Past, Present &..." 70's Soul LP Philadelphia International WLP US $7.99 [1 bids]
Adam/Bach/Gounod/Handel - My Heart Is Ever Present [SACD New] US $14.67 Buy It Now 13h 26m
THE WEDDING PRESENT --- " GEORGE BEST " 4 x VINYL 10". COOK 134 US $64.53 [2 bids]
Lear(Vinyl LP)People Past And Present-Argo-ZPL 1163-UK-VG+/VG US $14.50 Buy It Now 13h 47m
The Present by The Moody Blues (LP, 1983), TRL-1-2902, ORIGINAL GATEFOLD COVER US $10.99 [0 bids]
THE WEDDING PRESENT UK 1990 CD Single MAKE ME SMILE New US $4.82 Buy It Now 14h
Present Tense / Tongue Twister US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 14m
al stewart - past,present and future (US)1974 LP janus jls-3063 promo sticker US $7.00 [0 bids]
B.G. & Flame Ent present Play It How It Go Collection USA CD Mint *36-4 US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Michael Ball - Past & Present-The Very Best Of [CD New] US $10.40 Buy It Now 14h 24m
Christmas Present From Motown - Vol. 1-Christmas Present From Motown [CD New] US $15.99 Buy It Now 14h 25m
THE WEDDING PRESENT UK 1994 CD Single YEAH YEAH YEAH Part2 US $6.44 Buy It Now 14h 32m
EX-/EX- !! Reflection/The Present Tense (Songs Of Sydney Carter)/1968 LP US $35.49 Buy It Now 14h 33m
BUSTED A Present For Everyone 2003 Taiwan w/obi CD New Crash the wedding-Why-3am US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 34m
4?)CD JAPAN BEST ALBUM PRESENT CNBLUE with CARD US $18.00 [0 bids]
Billboard Greatest Christmas Hits: 1955-Present, , Good US $3.98 Buy It Now 15h 6m
THE WEDDING PRESENT TOMMY CASSETTE US $8.07 [0 bids]
Phil Spector - The Philles Album Collection - Philles Records Present Today's US $4.66 [0 bids]
A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM MOTOWN, VOL. 1 - NEW CD US $14.80 Buy It Now 15h 23m
REGGAE - SLY and ROBBIE present TAXI-UK REGGAE LP- VARIOUS-DUB-1981 US $9.66 [0 bids]
Tony Presents: A New York Freestyle Retrospe Moran - Tony Moran Present [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 15h 24m
Sly & Robbie Present Taxi [CD New] US $7.84 Buy It Now 15h 25m
CHICK COREA NEW TRIO "PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURES" CD, NEW & SEALED US $8.21 Buy It Now 15h 28m
VMP Present TOP HIGH ORIGINAL 12" SINGLE CD ITALO DISCO EUROBEAT WITH OBI US $25.00 Buy It Now 15h 38m
E40 & MUGZI Present D.B.Z "SPEAKIN' IN MANNISH" LIKE NEW 2006 USA CD ALBUM US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 40m
The Decemberists Present Picaresque CD 2005 Kill Rock Stars Used US $2.59 [0 bids]

More places to buy PRESENT music online Buy PRESENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PRESENT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PRESENT Barbaro (Ma non troppo) ratings distribution

PRESENT Barbaro (Ma non troppo) reviews

4 stars 4.5 stars.It's been 8 long years since the last PRESENT album ("High Infidelity") so I was very anxious to get the new one. I received it about a week ago and have been giving it plenty of spins. Interesting that the core six of the lineup from "High Infidelity" are still here. Roger Trigaux and his son Reginald on guitars, Pierre Chevalier on piano and keyboards, Dave Kerman on drums and percussions, Keith Macksoud on bass, and Matthieu Safatly on cello. We also get Pierre Desassis on sax, and our own Udi Koomran is back to make sure this sounds perfect (and it does). This comes with a 3 hour DVD of live material as well. I'm going to focus on the studio album only. One of the first things I noticed is that this album has no vocals, it's an all-instrumental affair.The length of this cd is just over 44 minutes of music, which for me is really refreshing after all those 70 plus minute cds we seem to get these days. Three tracks including a cover of UNIVERS ZERO's "Jack The Ripper" from their "Heresie" album. Maybe it's just me but this new PRESENT album has more in common with their first two records then the ones inbetween.

"Vertiges" is a good example of this with the collage of sounds that fill the soundscape. It's just a joy to try to pick out all the different sounds that come and go. Some great piano then it settles with cello. Some huge bass comes and goes as well. This is great as the tempo continues to shift. Intense 6 1/2 minutes in. Sax 8 minutes in. A haunting calm before 10 minutes then it kicks back in after 11 minutes. Great section. Eerie sounds as it settles before 12 minutes. Lots of cello and abrupt outbursts. The tempo starts to pick back up before 14 minutes. Nice bass lines here with guitar. The piano that follows really impresses.

"A Last Drop" opens with piano then these prominant bass lines join in. So much going on though. Check out Kerman ! This builds to an intense climax then an eerie calm follows. A pleasant calm after 7 minutes then it kicks back in. It's building. This is amazing ! It settles once again after 8 1/2 minutes pretty much to the end. "Jack The Ripper" has this dark and haunting intro (surprise) as cello joins the sparse piano. More intense after 2 1/2 minutes as it builds. It then settles with guitar and cello 5 minutes in. It kicks back in with slicing cello and some fat bass. A dead calm 7 minutes in then strange sounds come in as it builds. So intense 10 minutes in then we get a calm. It's building again with piano this time and strange guitar sounds. Suspense until 14 1/2 minutes in. It then picks back up 15 minutes in to the end.

This has to be in my top three of favourite PRESENT albums although they all are so good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#248200) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars Present's latest features three extended compositions, one of which is a cover of a Univers Zero track. This album costs a pretty penny, partially because it comes packaged with a DVD of live material, and it might be hard to consider shelling over that much money for what is really just two new compositions.

Let me tell you that you won't feel like you wasted a cent.

The music on this album is absolutely superb. It is my first experience with the Belgian RIO scene but boy did it make me care a lot. From the first ten seconds of the opening track, "Vertiges", I was absolutely captivated and knew that my money had not gone to waste.

The sound of the album is dense, aggressive, dark, dangerous, and at times even a little frightening. This is not a band trying to win you over with catchy hooks or melodies. The music is incredibly well crafted dramatic darkness. The entire band is very talented, and the interplay between the instruments really works well.

I haven't listened to the original version of Jack The Ripper unfortunately (I've only recently begun my journey through the music of Univers Zero, starting with their most recent as well) but the version on this album is definitely an enjoyable listen. Whenever I play it, if my roommate happens to overhear, he always comments that it sounds like I am listening to "Serial Killer Music" (which I have since informed him means the band is probably doing their job right, given the subject matter).

So, musically satisfied from the CD, I moved on to the DVD, and it too was an excellent experience. My favorite clips are the three from their electric concert at RIOFest 2007. Their first track is Jack The Ripper, and it is amazing how well they are able to pull it off live. Each band member seems to get their own personality through the show too. The bassist always makes me think of what Malcolm Reynolds (from Firefly) would be like if he played bass. No idea why, maybe it's the haircut. Pierre Chevalier is like the Lex Luthor of keyboards. Bandleader Roger Trigaux is like the mad scientist of the group. (His presence conducting the last track, Proemanade... is somewhat terrifying). Drummer Dave Kerman just seems like he's having a good time, yet at the same time his skill with the instrument is apparent. And so forth.

There are also some surprising moments on the two tracks that aren't covered on the album - the ghoulish vocals of the Trigaux clan on Ceux d'en Bas really made an impression on me, as did the appearance of Laurent Van Gorp on tube at the end of Promenade... (watch the video, you'll see what I mean).

The other videos are all interesting as well - the grand piano version of Vertiges was pretty different from the album version for example, but still an interesting listen. (I do prefer the live version from the 2006 set though, I like the way it sounds with more instruments).

Ultimately - a great purchase from a great band, I mean if it weren't for the price tag, I'm pretty sure this album would have created a lot more buzz around here by now.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#307723) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 31, 2010

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars 4.5 stars really!!!

Intro: It had been a while since present had released a new studio album (Hi Indefidelity dated from the first part of the 00's), and the live album (of a 90's tour) only partly quenched our thirst for more of the same (Ma Non Troppo, if possible ;o)))) ?. And to say the least, our patience got only half-rewarded?. Only three tracks (rather long, though) for a rather short album (by today's standards), and one of them being a re-visitation of an UZ's early classic. But to make-up for that, the ReR label added a superb and much-awaited-for DVD containing almost all of the available live Present footage all era included. The two discs come in a Cd + DVD package that's become a bit Cuneiform's trademark (ReR is a close collaborator and most of Present's discography in on Feigelbaum's label) and thus making it an absolute must for fans. The modern (now) line-up is fairly much the same as it was when I'd last seen them in 04 at Studio Athanor (an evening spent first in a UZ concert played a mile away, then in the company of Guy Seghers for a gigantic amounts of laugh and chicks a-go-go >> I kid you not, at a Present concert!!!), and it's quite a joy to hear their communion in the studios, sort of an intergenerational paternal:child friendly and musical confrontation: Roger, Chevalier and Kerman "crossing blades" with Reginald, Safaty and Desassis

First the studio album: the two "new" tracks are your typical Present tracks, even if with the "new" expanded line-up, there is little possible confusion and you couldn't possibly confuse it with any other band in the world, UZ included. Even the Jack the Ripper (present ? so to speak - on UZ's Hérésie album) sounds like the typical Present tune, despite a DD compositional touch that (thankfully) couldn't be expunged and Udi Koomran's production is absolutely phenomenal, even if this is hardly an incident, given the man's usual talent. Vertiges is pure bliss, while Last Drop (the one that overflowed the teacup) drips suaveness with its classical influences. These "songs" have obviously existed for a while, since Last Drop was played live in 06 and Vertiges since 07.

Next come the DVD: the main attraction of this double-disc set, and also produced by the mega-fine Udi, even if he had to deal with the original sound quality of the historical footages. Starting oiut with the RIO 2007 set (Trigaux is one of the co-organizers), comprising of only three tracks, all of them from the old days, including UZ's Ripper, the classic Ceux D'En Bas (from their N°6) and the ultra-classic Promenade Au Fond d'Un Canal, the latter having an outstanding self-destructing finale, when some human beast dressed as a wild Scot/Pict savage ala Braveheart comes in the forefront and starts hitting binary-ly a metal bar with a hammer as the band's crescendos until they reach the point of no return when Roger destroys his guitar on the stage and on his keyboard, while Kerman is chaining his skin and the whole group goes bezerk. A sure way to get a standing ovation, which they'll get. The second part is the next day's acoustic concert involving two pianos (Chevalier and De Vleeshouwer) and tons of percussions, including two and a half drum sets (Kerman and as a surprise appearance Daniel Denis, while Roger bangs as he can ion a partial set) and other hitting instruments (I think they're seven on stage at one point), the whole thing on some visual effects (in the type UZ had developed for their Implosion tour in 04), thus giving an awesome unique experience concert to the first Carmeaux RIO festival. Just as much a treat as the next day's normal set, probably a tad more enjoyable due to its unique one-shot-only nature . more stuff on the DVD: the previous year, Present had participated to the Portuguese festival in Gouveia and had given a solid, but "normal" set (given the usual festival set length), providing a fairly different set than Carmeaux's (but filmed in 4/3 format), including the classic Limping Girl (again from N°6). Further down (and a bit accessorily), we get some excerpts of the Trigaux father and son COD (side-) project on two electric guitars. Another treat is the outdoors Carmeaux' prior-to-RIO festival's 94 edition excerpt, where Present played (with Daniel on drums), while other tidbits date from Wurzburg's 01 festival and an Orion appearance.

Conclusion: If you're anywhere close to a RIO-Zeuhl-Avant-prog fan, this double- disc package is an absolute must (in good part due to the DVD, but not just that) and one to treasure away, much the same way you would, once Daniel and Steve agree to release the much-awaited UZ future DVD to come (hint, hint, guys ;-)))). But let's leave the wishful thinking to the fantasy realm and head back to the Present reality. Definitely not a cheap artefact, but it's definitely worth the investment and it might even be adequate as best possible introduction to a newbie to Present's musical realm.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#375077) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 07, 2011

Review by Starhammer
4 stars Ode to a dark alleyway....

After an eight year gap from their last 'burst' of activity the Belgian RIO royalty deliver the goods again.

The Good: I've always enjoyed Present's albums from the 1980s but found their overall effect to be diluted by weak production. In contrast this album provides all the brooding tension of their earlier works, but in a high fidelity package. I also love the variation found on this release, from the darkly atmospheric Vertiges, to the more upbeat, almost groovy A Last Drop.

The Bad: I prefer the opening two tracks to the Univers Zero cover, Jack the Ripper, although this is marginal and may just be because they're fresher.

The Verdict: Turn off the lights and turn up the volume.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#439499) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars I wasn't impressed by Present's comeback album Certitudes, which I thought fell far short of their first two great studio albums, but Barbaro has convinced me that I really need to take take another look at the albums that followed Certitudes, because there's some great stuff on here. Even if you set aside the fantastic DVD that comes with this set and is stuffed full of juicy live performances from the band, the CD comes with two great chamber rock spookfests as well as a fine performance of Jack the Ripper, one of Roger Trigaux' Univers Zero-era compositions which had pride of place on their classic Heresie. On the whole, because of the inclusion of this cover version I am inclined to consider this a DVD set which happens to have an EP attached, but the whole package is good enough to make me want to explore latter-day Present a bit more.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#744065) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012

5 stars Barbaro got my attention on the list of 'TOP 100 Little Known But Highly Rated Studio Albums of All Time''. I did not hesitate to get the album since I am really interested in rock in opposition and Belgian progressive music at the same time. Musicianship limits was really pushed hard in this al ... (read more)

Report this review (#300681) | Posted by omardiyejon | Monday, September 27, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Six stars. Best music of all time. This is the definition of 21st century progressive music. Summary: unequalled compositions and musicianship. After an intensive listen to Barbaro (ma non troppo), Close to the Edge or Thick as a Brick seems to have the musical appeal of a nursery rhyme or "t ... (read more)

Report this review (#271908) | Posted by spleenache | Sunday, March 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Present is one of those bands that just keeps getting better with each release. They've released some amazing stuff since their comeback with Certitudes (if we don't count the C. O. D. Performance) and each release bested its predecessor. The last studio album came in 2001, so expectations were nat ... (read more)

Report this review (#250035) | Posted by maribor | Wednesday, November 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PRESENT "Barbaro (Ma non troppo)"