THREE CHEERS FOR THE BROKEN-HEARTED

Glass Hammer Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy GLASS HAMMER Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Come On, Come On (3:37)
2. The Lure of Dreams (5:52)
3. A Rose for Emily (3:09)
4. Sleep On (4:06)
5. The Mid-Life Weird (3:55)
6. A Bitter Wind (4:35)
7. The Curse They Weave (4:30)
8. Sundown Shores (4:35)
9. Schrodinger's Lament (5:12)
10. Hyperbole (7:38)
11. Falling (4:36)

Search GLASS HAMMER Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted lyrics

Search GLASS HAMMER Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted tabs

- Fred Schendel / keyboards, guitars, vocals, drums, Mellotron, cello, horns
- Steve Babb / bass, vocals, keyboards, guitars
- Susie Bogdanowicz / vocals
- Josh Bates / guitars on (1) and (6)
- David Wallimann / guitars on (4)

CD 2009 Sound Resources

Thanks to Todd for the addition
and to Todd for the last updates

GLASS HAMMER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GLASS HAMMER Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted Music

On Our OwnOn Our Own
Glass Hammer 2013
GLASS HAMMER - COR CORDIUM NEW CD US $25.23 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Glass Hammer CD Prog Rock US $6.27 [4 bids]
VA PROG IN USA CD Glass Hammer ECHOLYN Metaphor NEW Previously unreleased songs US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Glass Hammer "Ode To Echo" (CD, 2014, Sound Resources) **Free Shipping** US $16.89 Buy It Now 2 days
MOON SAFARI Lover's End CD PROG Genesis, Yes, Kaipa, Flower Kings, Glass Hammer US $11.74 [0 bids]
Glass Hammer - Three Cheers For The Broken-Hearted [CD New] US $20.03 Buy It Now 4 days
GLASS HAMMER - CULTURE OF ASCENT NEW CD US $22.52 Buy It Now 4 days
Glass Hammer-Culture of Ascent CD NEW US $16.34 Buy It Now 4 days
Glass Hammer - Culture Of Ascent [CD New] US $15.16 Buy It Now 5 days
GLASS HAMMER CHRONOMETREE 200 Sound Resources BMI Arion Records 2 Part Music CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
Glass Hammer - Inconsolable Secret Deluxe Edition [CD New] US $30.35 Buy It Now 5 days
GLASS HAMMER - COR CORDIUM [769051222921] - NEW CD US $12.23 Buy It Now 5 days
Glass Hammer Sealed LP On Our Own private press country rock US $10.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Glass Hammer ODE TO ECHO CD USA 769051223324 Arion Records new US $15.97 [0 bids]
GLASS HAMMER-ODE TO ECHO-JAPAN CD F56 US $29.50 Buy It Now 7 days
GLASS HAMMER - LEX REX - NEW CD US $15.61 Buy It Now 8 days
GLASS HAMMER "The Inconsolable Secret" amazing 2 disc set !!! US $19.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Glass Hammer - Culture Of Ascent CD US $18.56 Buy It Now 9 days
GLASS HAMMER - PERILOUS NEW CD US $25.23 Buy It Now 10 days
JORGE MARTIN - JORGE MARTIN: THE GLASS HAMMER - NEW CD US $8.40 Buy It Now 11 days
Glass Hammer - Perilous [CD New] US $15.07 Buy It Now 11 days
GLASS HAMMER CD, JOURNEY OF THE DUNADAN still sealed US $29.99 Buy It Now 11 days
GLASS HAMMER - PERILOUS - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 11 days
Glass Hammer - Cor Cordium [CD New] US $15.21 Buy It Now 12 days
Culture of Ascent - Glass Hammer New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $22.74 Buy It Now 13 days
Three Cheers for the Broken-hearted - Glass Hammer New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $28.28 Buy It Now 13 days
Perilous - Glass Hammer New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.03 Buy It Now 13 days
Perelandra by Glass Hammer (still sealed) US $10.50 Buy It Now 13 days
GLASS HAMMER 'NEVER GONNA HIDE' 1974 WB 45RPM PROMO ORIGINAL US $2.39 Buy It Now 14 days
GLASS HAMMER: Am I Too Late / Mono (soul vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 15 days
GLASS HAMMER - IF [GLASS HAMMER] - NEW CD US $13.76 Buy It Now 17 days
Culture of Ascent by Glass Hammer (CD, 2007, CD Baby (distributor)) US $12.24 Buy It Now 18 days
Perilous by Glass Hammer (CD, Oct-2012, CD Baby (distributor)) US $12.10 Buy It Now 18 days
Culture Of Ascent, Glass Hammer, Good US $15.76 Buy It Now 18 days
Jorge Martin - Glass Hammer (2001) - Used - Audio Compact Disc US $5.54 Buy It Now 18 days
GLASS HAMMER RECORDS - Lonesome River / Big Wheels - NEAR MINT- US $7.95 Buy It Now 19 days
GLASS HAMMER Perilous 180gm Double Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $33.93 Buy It Now 19 days
GLASS HAMMER - ODE TO ECHO NEW CD US $27.54 Buy It Now 19 days
GLASS HAMMER - ODE TO ECHO NEW MARCH 2014 USA PROG LEGENDS LATEST MASTERPIECE US $17.40 Buy It Now 24 days
GLASS HAMMER Cor Cordium CD (2011) PROG ROCK US $16.97 Buy It Now 24 days
~ GLASS HAMMER - PERILOUS ~ MUSIC CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 24 days
GLASS HAMMER CD - ODE TO ECHO (2014) - NEW UNOPENED US $24.99 Buy It Now 25 days
GLASS HAMMER - THE INCONSOLABLE SECRET DELUXE EDITION NEW CD US $41.81 Buy It Now 25 days
GLASS HAMMER - THREE CHEERS FOR THE BROKEN-HEARTED NEW CD US $29.09 Buy It Now 25 days
Glass Hammer - Ode To Echo [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 26 days
CD Glass Hammer - Shadowlands RARE PROG / ARION RECORDS 2004 US $24.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Glass Hammer~Never Gonna Hide(Stereo)/Mono~Rock Promo 45 on Warner Brothers US $5.00 Buy It Now 27 days
TRACY CLOUD featuring glass hammer -LOVE CHANGES -12 TRACK CD-1995-RARE-FREEPOST US $89.61 Buy It Now 27 days
Glass Hammer R&R 45 (WB PROMO 7807) Never Gonna Hide VG++/M- US $6.95 Buy It Now 27 days
GLASS HAMMER: Ode To Echo CD 2014 NEW SEALED US $13.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Cor Cordium - Glass Hammer New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $25.03 Buy It Now 28 days
Inconsolable Secret Deluxe Edition - Glass Hammer New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $41.74 Buy It Now 28 days
Cor Cordium by Glass Hammer (CD, Oct-2011, CD Baby (distributor)) US $12.26 Buy It Now 28 days
If by Glass Hammer (CD, Sep-2010, CD Baby (distributor)) US $13.79 Buy It Now 29 days
GLASS HAMMER - IF NEW CD US $25.23 Buy It Now 29 days
Glass Hammer - Cor Cordium CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy GLASS HAMMER music online Buy GLASS HAMMER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GLASS HAMMER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

GLASS HAMMER Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted ratings distribution

GLASS HAMMER Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted reviews

Review by lor68
3 stars Well this time it's an embarassing moment, just a bit, to evaluate this work by G.H.!!

Don't get me wrong, this US ensemble has not forgotten to play music, but rather I remark their difficulty in creating a few original pop melodies, above all because there are some typical missing features, that made their previous albums (especially the early ones) so good!! For instance I'm not satisfied about the arrangement, sometimes simplistic, nor I like their new tendency to avoid the typical structure characterizing a kind of progressive rock (this time They are not so original...), like within their old symphonic suites!! Nevertheless Susie Bogdanowicz is always a remarkable singer and after all the core elements and their essential melodies as well, could make our listen more relaxing (perhaps too much relaxing...). So, no complexity and no creative moments you can find here, but there's a polished sound anyway!! However, despite of facing their new music travel without a precise direction, G.H. stand alone in the world music market, being former pioneers of such "Modern Progressive Rock". Unfortunately this latter music-genre has been taking a glance to the past for many years, but They try to create something desirable for the common listener still today, even though denying their roots...so, nevermind if They have forgotten the true language of progressive rock, because their product is interesting after all!

Ok, at the end you could also erase an half star at least...but- as They've often been a good or even sometimes a remarkable band- make your own choice!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#280583) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Review by CCVP
4 stars Aim for a different target group. Fail miserably

Glass Hammer's tenth album, Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted is a rather agressive departure from their traditional sound, characterized by lengthy symphonic pieces highly inspired by Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Kansas with numerous vocalists, complex instrumentation and normally upbeat and somewhat optimistic feeling, to a simpler, more band driven and darker sound, inspired by the 60's psychedelic and barroque pop bands (in the like of bands such as late Beach Boys, The Zombies and The Beatles), electronic music and striaght to the point rock'n'roll.

The vocal department was also reduced considerably, with singer Susie Bogdanowicz being in the charge of singing duties for most fo the album, unlike previous releases, where, as mentioned before, a considerable number of people would partake the singuing duties. The lyrics also treat of more mundane themes, specially when compared with every other album released by Glass Hammer.

Accoding to the band (i.e. Fred Schendel and Steve Babb), Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted was supposed to both show a different side of their music and musical influences and to try and reach a different audience from the ones that followed the band up untill then. The result was absolutely disastrous. Not only they failed to reach a different group from what they are used to, but the album's reception was extremely apathic and cold by the band's following, what is no surprise when you realise that this kind of audience is incredibly small and specialized, for the lack of a better word.

Personally, I do not believe this is actually a bad release. Yes, it is very different from the traditional Glass Hammer sound, but it evokes a style of music that is getting increasingly forgotten and hidden in the shelves of time, despite being highly enjoyable, which is the late 60's pop music, that eventually helped with the creation of progressive rock itself. Procol Harum, for example, was part of that very style of music in their earliest albums, as was Moody Blues after they reboot with Days of Future Past.

I must say that, however my positive opinion today, this was not what I was expecting when I got the album. The strange mix of 60's rock with electronic music the band delivers in their 2009 studio album really disgusted me in initial listenings, but time proved that this album is actually a grower. The simple and somewhat plain tunes proved to only improve over time.

Grade and Final Thoughts

Chages of heart proved to painful in the music industry. This was no exception: changing from a classic and epic progressive rock sound to a simpler, darker and more accessible sound proved to be traumatic for Glass Hammer, otherwise they would not release a return to form album so fast.

Despite the relentless criticism directed at Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted simply due to the change of direction the band took, I find that most of them fall short of either understanding or openness to deal with such changes. Different does not equals bad or worse by deafult.

Send comments to CCVP (BETA) | Report this review (#329023) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 21, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Well, this was disappointing.

After recording two fine albums where they were finally developing their own prog sound, and very successfully so, Fred Schendel and Steve Babb decided to take aim at more radio friendly music.

I wouldn't say the album sucks, like, say the music Genesis and Renaissance made in the eighties, but compared to most of their other albums, this one feels like there is something missing.

Susie Bogdanowicz sounds mostly uninterested through most of the songs on the album. And while a few songs tend to pick up the energy, that energy seems short lived.

It isn't until the ninth track, Schrodinger's Lament a strange diatribe on cause and effect, that the album finally grabbed me. And I will admit, Hyperbole works itself up into a delicious frenzy.

So for all of this, I'd rate it about 2.75 stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#743402) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012

Review by richardh
5 stars This album seems to have really rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way! Glass Hammer don't make symphonic prog album shock ..the end of the world is nigh. I guess my own tastes vary quite a bit and I've always liked a good melody and don't mind a bit of ''pop'' ,although this is not really pop music. Its very dark in places and weirdly varies between sixties sounding pop music and a modern hard edged almost metallic prog sound. Distinctly odd although the word I would prefer is 'quirky'. The main feature is Susie Bogdanowicz's vocals. I like female vocals especially the likes of Chrissie, Annie ,(and Jon and Geddy ha ha) so this is very pleasant to my ears. I also like the variety of music on offer. If you do short tracks make them interesting and these are all very nicely different.

I decided to give this 5 stars just to raise the average rating which seems a bit low although I realise this is a prog site (we hope) and that the lack of long complex peices will not appeal to most. However I prefer this release to the album that followed 'If'. I suspect there was a knee jerk reaction and GH decided they needed to appease the fanbase. In the process they ditched the delicacy and lightness of touch that always exised for a cold technical approach. Shame really from my point of view. This could well be the last GH album that I get to love and enjoy.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#789887) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Glass Hammer has been a band I have pursued over the years due to their clean pristine upbeat sound, Christian lyrics and especially the wonderful vocals of Jon Davison. Indeed, they normally sound close to the Yes sound and it is little wonder that Davison eventually took the helm for Yes with the departure of Jon Anderson, followed by David Benoit. Having seen the new Yes lineup in a recent 2012 concert in Saint Kilda, Australia, I have experienced the vocals of Davison first hand and he is always astounding with a high register unlike Anderson. Thus I was drawn to listen to more Glass Hammer. In this early lineup of the group the lead singer was Susie Bogdanowicz, who would be replaced by the far superior Anderson on "If" in 2010. The other members of the group on "Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted" is Fred Schendel on keyboards, mellotron, cello, horns, guitars, drums, Steve Babb on bass, keys, guitars, Josh Bates on guitars, and David Wallimann plays a cameo guitar on 'Sleep On'.

The sound on this is far removed from the Yes influences of the band's earlier material. Susie has a golden tone that is pleasant to listen to but it is very unlike the earlier Glass Hammer. The guitars are heavy and moody on 'Come On, Come On'. The rhythmic distorted guitars dominate also on 'The Lure of Dreams', with Susie sounding passionate throughout. The bassline is effective and there is a heavy atmosphere prevalent. The lead break has a wah wah effect and the nuances of organ and strings enhance the symphonic aspects.

'A Rose for Emily' is a sweet melodic song that is a commercial sound, but I like Susie's vocals so this does not disappoint me. The band have definitely diverted though from their prog Yes sound, and of course this diversion did nothing but harm the band's elite fanbase.

The heavy prog returns for 'Sleep On' with a great riff and some spacey effects. I like the riffing on this and the psychedelic overtones, kind of like prog metal with psychedelic layered effects. There is some nice piano on this too, cool synths and it is one of my favourites on this album. 'The Mid-Life Weird' follows, with a radio sound and awful male vocals that really grate on my nerves. Surely the worst thing they have done.

It is followed by 'A Bitter Wind', a beautiful ballad from Susie with a strong rhythm and flute nuances. The symphonic elements are very pleasant on this lovely song. 'The Curse They Weave' has a strong synthesizer rhythm and great melodic vocals from Susie. The male vocals return on 'Sun Down Shores', a slow song with lots of keyboards and a steady meter.

'Shrodinger's Lament' is an odd prog song with King Crimson riff time sigs and some weird narrations about cockroaches and other craziness. It really is a fish out of water but so good to hear among all the other commercial tracks. It is followed by another riffy song 'Hyperbole', with Susie sounding great and some very heavy guitar distortion. It is a longer song at 7: 39, and features an excellent bassline and some odd instrumentals such as guitar and organ. The narration of a miracle doctor scam artist reminds one of the circus travelling false doctors that used to rip people off with false cures and miracle medicines. The song is lot of fun with this section and overall has a terrific heavy rhythm. The album is getting better as it goes at this stage, but only one track remains. The last track is 'Falling', that is heavily reliant on piano and male vocals. It does nothing for me at all.

In conclusion this is not the starting point for Glass Hammer but it is still a solid album with some great tracks. The diversion in sound on this album was short lived and they returned to the less heavy more complex symphonic sound, much to the relief of their adoring fanbase.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#800241) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 04, 2012

3 stars Well. Strange album for Glass Hammer Many pop rock oriented songs. Heavy prog? Neo-prog? Glass Hammer the best symphonic prog rock act of the USA really made a change(as Fred Schendel body-a stomach operation?) It seems that Schendel s change of physiognomy produced a extreme change ... (read more)

Report this review (#285891) | Posted by robbob | Thursday, June 10, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars With this album, I feel that Glass Hammer betrayed everyone who has been carrying water for them. I want to support an artist's right and responsibility to follow their muse, but I think it's also fair to say that when someone picks up a Glass Hammer record, it's because they are a progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#284882) | Posted by freyacat | Friday, June 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars What band is this? This is my question when I heard this new cd of GH. Perhaps the cover reveals the official entry of Susie in the group and that this fact decisively to have influenced the sound of this album. Another novelty is the new physical form of Fred Schendel and this may not have ... (read more)

Report this review (#280779) | Posted by nandprogger | Friday, May 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GLASS HAMMER "Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted"