D'APRÈS LE HORLA DE MAUPASSANT

Buy THE BOX Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Ouverture (6:15)
2. Incubus (9:14)
3. L'Eau, Le Lait, Le Vin (6:30)
4. Mont Saint Michel (10:57)
5. Le Chat Noir (2:12)
6. Un Impénétrable Mystère (6:49)
7. À Bougival (5:07)

- Isabelle Lemay / Vocals
- Guillaume Marchand / Keyboards
- Jean-Marc Pisapia / Vocals, Keyboards
- Daniel Volji / Bass

CD Les Disques Passeport (PAS-CD-1228) Canada (November 11th 2009)

Thanks to Tubthumper for the addition

THE BOX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BOX D'Après Le Horla De Maupassant Music

More places to buy THE BOX music online Buy THE BOX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BOX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BOX D'Après Le Horla De Maupassant ratings distribution

THE BOX D'Après Le Horla De Maupassant reviews

Review by Gooner
5 stars Talk about a late bloomer. I'll get my noble statement out of the way right off the bat. This 2009 album _D'Apres Le Horla De Maupassant_ by The Box, IMHO, is a prime contender for the best prog.rock album of the decade(2000-2009). Yes...and I've heard a lot of them (since I host a radio programme). On par with anything from Porcupine Tree, the newly reformed Van Der Graaf Generator and the popular Nemo. One word to describe this millenium masterpiece is _sprawling_. Another would be _moody_.

Elements of Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Barclay James Harvest, quartet- era Genesis, Talk Talk, Brian Wilson, Bark Psychosis, Nemo, Ange, Steve Morse-era Deep Purple. All the aforementioned are tossed together into the unique world of Jean-Marc Pisapia's THE BOX. This sounds like THE BOX and no one else. The aforementioned are simply inspiration. Quebec prog.rock such as Morse Code and Pollen may also be an inspiration, but that's for Jean-Marc Pisapia to know, and for you or I to find out.

The intro of the album might remind you of the ethereal space intro of ELP's Tarkus. When this ensemble breaks out instrumentally, it's a cross between Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator and modern Deep Purple. When the guitarist solos, he sounds not unlike Steve Morse at his crying best. The heavy parts do not approach prog.metal, but hard rock prog.. Very unlike Porcupine Tree where they appear to be hanging out with Opeth a little too much (which I find somewhat irritating). In short, the instrumental parts sound like Van Der Graaf Generator recruiting Don Airey and Steve Morse while getting Tim Friese-Green(of Talk Talk) to make sense of it all.

Mel Collins/Jaxon-like sax appears slightly on one track(Incubus). There's a wonderful reoccuring sinister sounding keyboard riff that just sends you like a mellotron would. Back-up vocals are very pastoral and angelic(like a mixture of Barclay James Harvest/Brian Wilson/Porcupine Tree). All lyrics and vocals in French, but Jean-Marc Pisapia's delivery is very enjoyable in a borderline baritone/tenor. _Chat Noir_ reminds me of the instrumental piece by Curved Air called PARIS BY NIGHT. _Inpenetrable Mystere_ has a that unique The Box droaning keyboard sound from their very first self-titled album. If that's not all, in comes the Latin(yes, LATIN chant!). _Sans Hypnose_ has a Captain Beyond groove with Kerry Minnear(Gentle Giant)-like keyboards, although the solo is very Tony Kaye(Yes, Badger). _J'ai Vu_ is reminiscent of Zeppelin II meets Talk Talk(wow!). Nice reverbed piano. This album could be a great companion to Marillion's BRAVE(turn the lights out and turn it up). The only track that harkens back to The Box's early pop.prog is the closer _Super 61_. Not quite prog., but not quite New Wave either. A track that French band AIR would be proud of. It sounds like AIR meets Matthew Fisher of Procol Harum and Jobim(brazillian beat) and Bacharach. Pure magic!

This album is not likely to make Jean-Marc Pisapia a rich man, but it may make him a hired gun in prog.rock for production values alone. Truly groundbreaking. 5 solid stars.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#255801) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 12, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars So new album and already stained by controversy over two previous reviews. I'm pleased, but not so much. This is typical, better-average (feel free to add " " chars) French speaking prog rock (I'm still unable to differ French and Canada, anyone willing to help me what's the difference in music they make ?). Full of calm parts (even silence from time to time), longer compositions, not necessarily melodic, but also not ugly music. Original ? I say yes, but it lacks this "interesting" element.

4(-), because less would be unfair (in contrast to my other ratings) and more is undeserved by my opinion. And you know what, I understand gooner and if Mr. Sonix Explorer wouldn't insult (yeah, it's insult by standarts of my and this site), I would understand his point of view too.

My heart & mind lies here, in this state. To be honest, I'm not so moved, I heard far better records this year, but this is not a cat-as-trophe (hehe).

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#258449) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars The Box hail from Quebec, Canada. They were, apparently, more of a pop outfit in the '80s, but reformed in the '00s and released two albums that were closer to progressive rock, of which this is the second, and my first experience with them.

The opener, "Ouverture", starts off quiet, before it introduces a spacy section with distant "na na na na"s. Then the guitars and drums make a quick intro, before it changes again into what sounds, to my untrained ear, like an accordion. Ultimately, the song is about a simple theme, but the way that it is presented is quite excellent.

The second track, "Incubus", is built on atmosphere, but there is one instrument that makes a strong impact on me here - and that is the bass guitar. It makes its presence known, and even though I wouldn't call it a lead instrument, it does not hide in the background either. It makes its presence known throughout. The vocals are french, so for the non-french, the lyrics may not make much sense. Fortunately, the music is so good and the vocals work so well within it, that they enhance the sound regardless. The song builds up until the end, where horns have joined in and give the atmosphere some additional edge.

The strong bass work continues with "L'eau, Le Lait, Le Vin" (which, if my french is not too rusty, translates into "the water, the mlik, the wine"). The transition between the two songs is actually rather seamless. Like in the first track, The Box demonstrate their ability to craft a great musical piece around simpler ideas. Keyboards provide the texture for the first half of the song, but it's a punchy guitar riff and the vocals that carry the second half, aided by a good keyboard solo and some excellent drumming.

Mont Saint Michel continues the trend of combining atmosphere with great, catchy music, with an atmospheric first half that builds into a very, very catchy second half. The album continues to demonstrate, song after song, that The Box are masters of both atmosphere and writing catchy music. I would like to stress once more that the music is the strong point here, and not understanding the vocals does not make them sound in any way worse. (Although, from what I understand, the lyrical content of the album is also quite good - maybe it's time to learn french?)

The album ends on "Super 61", which is a bit more toned down than the rest of the album. I am not quite sure what "Super 61" is, but it is sung in English, in female vocals that do not exist anywhere else in the album, making me curious about their inclusion here.

Overall, a great album that is a delight to hear. There is not a weak track on the album. Stronger tracks include: "Souse Hypnose", "L'eau, Le Lait, Le Vin", "Incubus", "Super 61", "Mont St. Michel" and "Un impenetrable Mystere" (over half the album!). Highly recommended.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#269233) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2010

4 stars What a magnificent album to sneak out of Québec! Too bad it's taken 18 months to climb into ProgArchives' ranks and garner a little of its much deserved attention. 1. "The Overture" (9/10) is everything a prog song should be: using unusual folk instruments, shifting back and forth from delicat ... (read more)

Report this review (#419312) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Monday, March 21, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the second opus of musicians from Quebec after their reunion. Formed a new line-up in 2003, keyboardist and vocalist Jean-Marc Pisapia recorded a very interesting album, "Black Dog There" (2005). And four years later a new release - a musical adaptation of short stories by Guy de Maupassa ... (read more)

Report this review (#265781) | Posted by yalinc | Friday, February 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Wow! Long gone are the "poppy days" This album show a rare maturity for a band of this kind of background. Their latest opus ranks as a very solid prog-rock album, a contender for a Best of 2009 list...at least mine. I discovered the band under a new light. The beautiful and haunting melodies c ... (read more)

Report this review (#262022) | Posted by pollux | Friday, January 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars An album not to miss for 2009 Yes my friends I cannot believe my ears... Yes this is the same Quebec band that use to do pop music ( but nice sophisticated pop) and that was classified in "Prog Related" just before they release their first prog album in 2004, the beautiful (but short) album "Black ... (read more)

Report this review (#253086) | Posted by danielfortin | Thursday, November 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BOX "D'Après Le Horla De Maupassant"