KARMA

Nick D'Virgilio

Nick D'Virgilio Karma album cover

Buy NICK D'VIRGILIO Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. The River is Wide (7:12)
2. Dream in Red (4:35)
3. Forgiven (3:09)
4. Karma (3:12)
5. The Game (4:04)
6. The Waters Edge (6:32)
7. Come What May (5:11)
8. Untitled (3:26)
9. Will It Be Me (4:16)
10. Anything (3:55)
11. Paying the Price I: Dysfunction (4:28)
12. Paying the Price II: Paid the Price (5:45)
13. Paying the Price III: Unknowing (8:35)

Search NICK D'VIRGILIO Karma lyrics

- Mike Johnson / wurlitzer
- Ryo Okumoto / piano
- Kevin Gilbert / piano, 12 string guitar
- Peter Plumeri / backing vocals

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

NICK D'VIRGILIO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NICK D'VIRGILIO Karma Music

KarmaKarma
Inside Out 2004

More places to buy NICK D'VIRGILIO music online Buy NICK D'VIRGILIO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NICK D'VIRGILIO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NICK D'VIRGILIO Karma ratings distribution

NICK D'VIRGILIO Karma reviews

Review by progrules
3 stars Shortly after the new millennium took its turn I was pretty much into Spocks Beard and noticed back then some of their members made solo releases. Well, Neal Morse wasn't really a big surprise because he was they great songwriter of the band but Ryo Okumoto and mr. D'Virgilio were more unexpected to me for I didn't really expect these qualities with these guys.

If I look back at the three members and their solo efforts I have to say mr. Morse is by far the outstanding songwriter and the keyboardist and drummer have delivered some nice work with their respective solo albums Coming Through and this release Karma. Okumoto took the heavier road with his effort but D'Virgilio has chosen more middle of the road kind of approach with Karma. Real songs (instead of complex compositions) with prominent vocals and less important instrumental bits and pieces is what I notice most when I compare and have to describe this album.

Solid songs for sure but nothing mindblowing is another conclusion after hearing the whole album once more. The vocals are really good but the compositions are hardly prog I'm afraid which is also proven by the average length of the songs. Ok, not really the only element to call something prog or not but it's a significant feature of most prog in history. And the songs are quite straightforward, sounding a bit like a calmer version of Black Crowes or Live for instance.

It's just the final multi layered song Paying the Price clocking almost 19 minutes that can be called progressive in many senses. But all in all that's not really enough if you ask me. Like I said, a solid release but nothing really to go overboard about. The only outcome can be 3 stars for me because of all the mentioned aspects. Maybe slightly rounded down but it's the best I can do. Nick's drumming and singing are the definite highlights and if you are interested you could go for this release but it's not highly recommended for everyone I dare to state. It could be nice for Beatles fans or probably people who like the Van Morrison approach.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#287962) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
2 stars This is Nick's debut solo album, and he has brought in help from many quarters, including from his day job with the Beard, but has also provided all of the drums and vocals as well as some guitar and keyboards. One is never sure what a solo album from a drummer is going to sound like, even one that can really sing, and the verdict is still out on this one.

Some of the songs are very rhythmic; such as opener, "The River Is Wide" yet also contains good hooks while others just aren't strong enough for one reason or another to be on an album. Nick is one of the best drummers in the business, but he really comes to the fore when playing other people's songs. Probably one for Spock's Beard devotees only.

Originally appeared in Feedback #64, Oct 01

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#970763) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Post a review of NICK D'VIRGILIO "Karma"