CHICAGO IX - GREATEST HITS

- James Pankow / Trombone
- Walter Parazaider / Wind
- Daniel Seraphine / Drums

LP CBS 69187 Netherlands , CBS 69222 UK , Columbia PC 33900 US /Canada

re-released in 1979 by Amiga, 055 670 German Democratic Republic (GDR)
re-released on CD by Columbia CK 33900 US in 1995 and Rhino R2 73229 US in 2005

Thanks to snobb for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

CHICAGO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CHICAGO Chicago IX - Greatest Hits Music

CHICAGO - Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits (Vinyl LP) WB73229R - NEW / SEALED USD $18.99 Buy It Now
Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago IX 8 track tape tested w/sleeve USD $7.50 Buy It Now 7h 49m
Rock Lp Chicago Ix: Greatest Hits On Columbia USD $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Rock Promo Lp Chicago Greatest Hits: Ix On Columbia USD $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 34m
1975 LP RECORD CHICAGO IX CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS USD $3.71 Buy It Now 17h 10m
CHICAGO 3 Cassette Tape Lot Soft Jazz Rock 17 19 IX Greatest Hits USD $4.99 Buy It Now 19h
Chicago IX Greatest Hits USD $5.00 [0 bids]
CHICAGO IX - CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS TESTED 8 TRACK TAPE USD $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago IX: Greatest Hits by Chicago (CD, Oct-2005, Rhino) Free Ship USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago IX Greatest Hits by Chicago (CD, Columbia) USD $8.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago IX Greatest Hits 8 Track Cartridge Columbia 70s Memorabilia USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
'Chicago IX Greatest Hits' 8 Track Tape Cartridge (1975, JCA-33900) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago Vinyl LP Columbia Records 1975, PC-33900, Chicago IX Greatest Hits~NM- ! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO - IX Chicago's Greatest Hits Vinyl LP (PC 33900) COLUMBIA - 1975 Record USD $2.00 [0 bids]
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits LP 1975 Columbia Records Canada Vinyl PC-33900 VG+/VG+ USD $6.39 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO IX: GREATEST HITS [RHINO] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $4.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago (CD, Feb-1995, Chicago Records D. USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX: Greatest Hits [Rhino] by Chicago (CD, Oct-2005, Rhino (Label)) USD $16.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits L (Chicago (2) - 1975) CBS 69222 (ID:15143) USD $6.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits L (Chicago (2) - 1975) CBS 69222 (ID:15143) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago - Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits '69 - '74 - CD - New USD $10.56 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO - IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits - Quadio Blu-Ray Audio Disc USD $54.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits PC 33900 LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ Sleeve USD $7.98 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICAGO LP Greatest Hits IX 1975 Columbia USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS Cassette Tape, 1975, VG Columbia USD $7.87 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits on 8 Track USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING 2 Cassette Tape LOT 1975 USD $12.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits (7152) 12" LP 1975 CBS CBS 32535 USD $17.28 Buy It Now 4 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits 8-Track USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits Vinyl LP JC 33900 Columbia 1975 Record in Shrink Wrap USD $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO IX: GREATEST HITS [RHINO] NEW CD USD $7.67 Buy It Now 4 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits - VG+ Vinyl LP Soft Rock Pop-Rock USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Chicago "Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits" Lp VG+ Columbia 1975 USD $1.99 [0 bids]
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS COLUMBIA PC 33900 LP USD $6.00 [0 bids]
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS2LP ORIG '75 COLUMBIA PC 33900 JAZZ ROCK POP R USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Chicago - Chicago IX: Greatest Hits 1969-74 (NEW CD) USD $10.11 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO "GREATEST HITS" (aka IX) LP NEAR MINT USD $7.99 [0 bids]
1975 Chicago IX "Chicago's Greatest Hits" Columbia PC33900 Inner Sleeve EX/EX USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO IX - GREATEST HITS (1975, CHICAGO,USA) USD $5.02 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits - Original 1975 LP Record - Colour My World USD $8.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Vinyl Record - Chicago ?- Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits - Columbia ?- PC 33 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago (CD, Feb-1995, Chicago Records Di USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago IX: Greatest Hits [Rhino] by Chicago (CD, Oct-2005, Rhino (Label)) USD $4.92 Buy It Now 6 days
CHICAGO 2 LP Lot CHICAGO VI 1973 plays VG+ IX -GREATEST HITS 1975 plays VG+ USD $7.99 Buy It Now 7 days
New Sealed CHICAGO IX Chicago's Greatest Hits Reel To Reel Tape 4TR 3 3/4 IPS USD $119.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Chicago Ix: Chicagos Greatest Hits - Chicago (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $16.22 Buy It Now 7 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago (Vinyl, Dec-2013, Rhino (Label)) USD $22.98 Buy It Now 7 days
CHICAGO 6 Cassette Tapes LOT COLLECTION Greatest Hits Vol.2/1982-1989/17/19/IX+ USD $14.44 Buy It Now 7 days
CHICAGO IX - "CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS" - Columbia PC 33900, 1975, VG USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago (Vinyl, 1975, CBS) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
CHICAGO Chicago IX Greatest Hits 1969-74 CD 25 or 6 to 4, Just You 'N' Me USD $1.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago Hot Streets & Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits 12" LP Records Played! USD $5.94 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits Album LP Vinyl 1975 Columbia Records USD $12.31 Buy It Now 9 days
Lot of 3 CHICAGO Vinyl LP Record Albums Chicago IX (Greatest Hits), 16 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 9 days
CHICAGO IX"Greatest Hits" Vinyl lp Record Columbia PC 33900 1975 Partial Shrink USD $9.79 Buy It Now 9 days
1975 Chicago IX Greatest Hits Vinyl LP- PC 33900- Columbia USD $7.25 Buy It Now 9 days
LP JP / Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits SOPO 115 w/Obi Vinyl records USD $2.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago - Chicago Ix: Greatest Hits 69-74 [New CD] Repackaged USD $10.64 Buy It Now 10 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS (CHICAGO IX) & IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW - CASSETTES USD $12.56 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago IX: Greatest Hits [Rhino] by Chicago (CD, Oct-2005, Rhino (Label)) USD $7.51 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits Vinyl Lp 1985 Columbia Records StereoNM USD $14.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits LP Columbia PC 33900 1975 1st PR 1J/2D VG+/VG+ OIS USD $9.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits LP Columbia PC 33900 1975 1st PR 1H/2J EX/EX OIS USD $12.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago [Lot of 3 LPs]: Transit Authority I / VII / IX Greatest Hits USD $12.89 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago [Lot of 3 LPs]: V / IX Greatest Hits / X USD $12.89 Buy It Now 10 days
CHICAGO IX__Chicago's Greatest Hits__ 12" LP ORIG 1975 Columbia PC 33900 ROCK NM USD $8.99 Buy It Now 11 days
CHICAGO IX: CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS USD $21.69 Buy It Now 11 days
Chicago - Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits Music Cassette USD $6.97 Buy It Now 11 days
New CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits 1969-1974 JAPAN CD F/S USD $31.54 Buy It Now 11 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS CASSETTE USD $6.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Chicago IX: Greatest Hits, Chicago, Good USD $7.43 Buy It Now 12 days
CHICAGO - Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits (LP) (EX/VG-) USD $12.56 Buy It Now 12 days
Chicago Greatest Hits CD Columbia Records Chicago IX NEW SEALED GENERIC LONGBOX USD $14.99 Buy It Now 12 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS COLUMBIA MASTERSOUND HALF SPEED MASTERED AUDIOPHILE USD $45.95 Buy It Now 12 days
FREE 2for1 OFFER-Chicago (2) ?- Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits : Columbia USD $18.98 Buy It Now 12 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits Vinyl LP 13 tracks USD $5.59 Buy It Now 12 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits 1975 LP Album Record Vinyl COLUMBIA PC 33900 SHRINK USD $9.74 Buy It Now 12 days
Chicago & Peter Cetera II V VI VII VIII IX X XI 17 Hot Streets Greatest Hits If USD $36.99 Buy It Now 12 days
CHICAGO IX 1975 LP CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS COLUMBIA PC 33900 VG+ ORIG INNER SLEV USD $6.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Chicago - IX Greatest Hits LP Vinyl Record Album USD $7.95 Buy It Now 12 days
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits TC8 PCA 33900 8 Track tape 1975 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Ix Greatest Hits (Bn) - Chicago (Vinyl Used) USD $16.46 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES VOL 2 Color My World IX GREATEST HITS New 5 CD USD $15.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits Comp Vinyl (Chicago) CBS 69222 (ID:15059) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 13 days
CHICAGO - Chicago Ix:greatest Hits 69-74 - CD - Best Of - BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED USD $21.49 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits LP 1975 Columbia Vinyl Record USD $5.69 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits Vinyl ( Columbia Records 1975) USD $12.95 Buy It Now 13 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS COLUMBIA 1972-1975 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago "IX-Greatest Hits" 1975 Rock LP, VG+, Orig Columbia Pressing, #PC-33900 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago LP vinyl record album | LOT OF 2: XI & IX | Chicago's Greatest Hits |VG USD $19.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Chicago Ix: Greatest Hits 69-74 (Rpkg), Chicago, Good USD $5.76 Buy It Now 14 days
Chicago - IX Greatest Hits VG++ 80's repress Columbia 34860 Record Tested Shrink USD $7.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Chicago "IX-Greatest Hits" 1975 Rock LP, VG+, Original Columbia Press,#PC-33900 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 14 days
Chicago VI & V & IX Greatest Hits Vinyl Records Albums LPs VG/ G LOT BUY3GET1FRE USD $21.95 Buy It Now 14 days
? Chicago - Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits (Columbia PC 33900) 25 or 6 to 4 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits Vinyl Record Album NM BUY 3 GET 1 FREE ! USD $10.95 Buy It Now 14 days
LP< USD $14.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago (Vinyl, Dec-2013, Rhino (Label)) USD $15.25 Buy It Now 14 days

More places to buy CHICAGO music online Buy CHICAGO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

CHICAGO Chicago IX - Greatest Hits ratings distribution

CHICAGO Chicago IX - Greatest Hits reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars A good start for a Chicago newbie and a surprising trip down memory lane.

OK I am a newbie I admit to one of the most prolific bands on the music scene who have been around since the late 60s. The only thing I had heard from Chicago is the flaccid sugar sweet ballad 'If you Leave me now' that my wife likes, and I despise. So I took the plunge and decided to grow slowly into the band with one of their many compilations. I decided that a compilation from 1975 would eradicate all the pop balladry that they declined into in later years. So as a lone reviewer of this well known band's compilation I can at least give an unbiased if uninformed opinion of the music.

We start with a classic that can be found on just about every compilation and has become a bonafide live staple for the band, 25 Or 6 To 4. The heavy guitar riff and strong beat appealed immediately to me, and then a delightful brass section comes in. The vocals are strong and have an unreserved early 70s feel. The harmonies are very well executed. I even recognised the tune from somewhere, perhaps a late night music show from the past. The lead break is terrific and the incessant riff is infectious, not to mention beautiful brass embellishments. The instant recognition was a sheer delight and I instantly fell in love with this awesome track that I could listen to over and over again without too much coercion.

The brass is even stronger on the next track, another classic Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? The jazz fusion is dynamic and this track from the first album certainly delivers. Another very cool riff dominated by clean vocals and piano rhythms. Cool lyrics too "And I was walking down the street one day, A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead, And I said Does anybody really know what time it is". I was stunned at how jazzy Chicago is and yet one does not get a hint of this in their popular mainstream ballads. Once again I was hooked on this from the beginning.

Colour My World is next, a very slow dreamy track driven by piano. It feels like a ballad yet nothing like the 80s Chicago. I particularly like the Hammond line beneath the music. There is a real beauty here embellished by flute passages.

Just You 'N' Me follows, with a strong horn section and love inspired forlorn lyrics. The harmonies are well accomplished in the chorus. I like the wah wah rhythm guitars and there is a nice tenor sax section to enhance the mood also. I am not a real fan of the sugar sweet lyrics though there is a good sound here.

Saturday In The Park is another classic that appears all over the place and this is the first time I had heard it though. Or so I thought, as immediately I recognised it from somewhere. I had heard a lot from the radio in the 70s so it makes sense I would have heard this. The brass carry it along and I particularly like the vocals on this and some great lyrics; "Another day in the park, I think it was the Fourth of July, People talking, really smiling, A man playing guitar, And singing for us all, Will you help him change the world." It even changes time sig later into a jazz funk style before returning to the intro beat. Great musicianship and a bonafide treasure form the group.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day is next on the compilation, from Chicago 6. Immediately again I knew the song but I guess did not know who had sung it. So really this was quickly becoming a nostalgic trip for me. I loved this song and it brought back some haunting memories. The instrumental section changes in to a faster signature and works so well with that cool 70s sound. A delightful gem from the group.

Make Me Smile does not sound too good on paper, a bit kitsch really, so I had trepidations about this one. It comes from Chicago 2 and has a powerful brass thing going on and the vocals are very soulful from Terry Kath also adept on lead guitars. The track is actually very good, cruising along with a strong beat and infectious melody. You gotta love that soul vibe with the lead guitars and brass trading off. I heard that Terry has passed on now but if this is any indication of the material he has produced with the band, Chicago 2 seems like an absolute must!

Wishing You Were Here follows, from Chicago 7, featuring Terry again, and this track reached #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1974 deservedly. It begins with acoustics over waves crashing on a lonely beach. The harmonies are strong, and there is an ethereal atmosphere that once again rings a bell from somewhere in my distant past. The haunting harmonies work brilliantly to create a powerful dreamy ambience. The vocals are fantastic on this track, especially Pete Cetera, I love the whole thing, and I am already a fan of the band by now.

Call On Me is next, a very radio friendly track that did not resonate with me, far too mainstream and not my style. I did like the tom tom and trumpets though. The weird thing is I knew I had heard this somewhere too, perhaps on the radio I would say. It began to occur to me here that I had grown up with Chicago but I never knew it till now.

Moving on to the next track we have (I've Been) Searchin' So Long also from Chicago 7. The dreaminess of the music here is compelling. There is a sweet melody in the balladic style. The strings and trumpets enhance the mood. Not my favourite by any means but I can still appreciate the musicianship and song structure excellence.

Last track is Beginnings, ironically enough. Again I knew of this track from the debut and that it is quite famous from the band. The pleasant vibe is unmistakeable with upbeat vocals and harmonies. The strong rhythm machine of drums and guitar is paramount to the sound. The brass is powerful again, along with very emotive lyrics; "I can never think of the right words to say, I am silent, only the beginning, what I want to feel forever." It ends with an extended jamming percussion section.

So at the end of this compilation, I feel I have at last been initiated into Chicago: a world of dynamic jazz fusion music. I can continue to cringe when I hear 80s Chicago ballads, but at least now I know there is more, so much more to this fantastic group of virtuoso musicians who have made such an indelible impact on the music scene for so many years.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Listen?

At first sight, this may appear to be a classic case of bad timing. Had the record company been a little more patient, the song which transformed Chicago from an admired jazz rock band to a household name, "If you leave me now" could have been included in this collection. Such an inclusion would undoubtedly have boosted sales of this collection enormously.

The foregoing can though be seen as a double edged sword, as that single also become the turning point for the band, who thereafter went in search of commercial success at the expense of what many saw as their artistic integrity. This set can therefore also be seen as marking the end of one era and the start of a new one, and to that extent was well timed.

We should note that the title here is "Greatest hits", not "The best of", and that is significant, especially when looking at Chicago's early years. Chicago did secure success in the singles chart early in their career, with songs such as "25 or 6 to 4", "Does anybody really know what time it is" and "Saturday in the park" making for superb jazz rock songs.

If we were compiling a "Best of" though, then this album would include more of the band's lengthier progressive pieces and suites which were scattered across the early double LP sets. None of the tracks here really capture that side of the band. Other notable omissions are the superb "I'm a man" and the highly accessible "Listen".

As "Greatest hits" collections go, this is an excellent set. Do not however assume that it offers anything like an accurate summary of what Chicago were all about during the period which justifies their admission to this site. Even in the early days, the band had a talent for recording potential hits.

3 stars I believe I was one of about 60 billion people who owned this album in the 70's. This is a decent tour of Chicago's music up until the point of 1975- although this IS a hits album and doesn't cover any of their more progressive or jazzy material from early in the band's career. Hits like "25 or ... (read more)

Report this review (#440304) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, April 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CHICAGO "Chicago IX - Greatest Hits"