CHICAGO IX - GREATEST HITS

- James Pankow / Trombone
- Walter Parazaider / Wind
- Daniel Seraphine / Drums

LP CBS 69187 Netherlands , CBS 69222 UK , Columbia PC 33900 US /Canada

re-released in 1979 by Amiga, 055 670 German Democratic Republic (GDR)
re-released on CD by Columbia CK 33900 US in 1995 and Rhino R2 73229 US in 2005

Thanks to snobb for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy CHICAGO Chicago IX - Greatest Hits Music

CHICAGO - CHICAGO IX: GREATEST HITS [RHINO] NEW CD USD $16.87 Buy It Now 2h 48m
CHICAGO IX - 's Greatest Hits JAPAN LP Record SOPO-115 1975 USD $41.08 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago CD Feb-1995 Chicago Records USD $7.00 Buy It Now 10h
Chicago Chicago Ix: Chicagos Greatest Hits Vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $36.12 Buy It Now 12h 39m
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits 1975 NM Columbia PC 33900 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Chicago - Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits CASSETTE 1975 USD $5.60 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Chicago, Chicago Greatest Hits IX G+ / G+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 22h 28m
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago: Used USD $9.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago ?- Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits US Press Columbia 1975 Insert USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO - IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits - Quadio Blu-Ray Audio Disc USD $71.35 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO IX CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS PC 33900 LP CANADA USD $5.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago - Chicago Ix: Chicago's Greatest Hits [New Vinyl] USD $13.79 Buy It Now 1 day
New CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits 1969-1974 JAPAN CD F/S USD $32.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits LP Stereo Vinyl Album Columbia #33900 USD $8.95 [0 bids]
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits LP In Shrink USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS Vinyl LP (CBS 6922) 1975 EX USD $3.79 [0 bids]
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits Original Vinyl Record LP PC 33900 1975 USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits Cassette USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
* CHICAGO - Chicago IX: Greatest Hits [Rhino] USD $2.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits ALBUM LP 12" Columbia 1975 PC-33900 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits 8 Track Tape 1975 CBS #PCA-33900 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits Columbia Records LP PC-33900 Vinyl Classic Rock 1975 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago's Greatest Hits (Chicago IX)--Original Vinyl from 1975 USD $9.88 [0 bids]
CHICAGO IX--CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS--11 SONG [email protected]@K USD $2.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago - Chicago Ix: Greatest Hits 69-74 [New CD] Repackaged USD $8.48 Buy It Now 2 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits (1975) Vinyl LP . Best of, 9, Saturday in the Park USD $7.99 [0 bids]
LP< USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CHICAGO IX 8 Track Tape Chicago's Greatest Hits USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago Ix: Greatest Hits 69-74 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits (Cassette, Tape) WORKING Tested USD $4.55 Buy It Now 3 days
Greatest Hits - Chicago IX - stickered Chicago UK vinyl LP album record USD $17.60 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago Ix: Chicagos Greatest Hits - Chicago LP Free Shipping! USD $27.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago - Greatest Hits: 1969-74 - Chicago Ix NEW CD USD $6.11 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits by Chicago (CD, Feb-1995, Chicago Records Di USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.49 Buy It Now
CHICAGO IX CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS LP 1975 ORIGINAL PRESS GREAT COND! VG+/VG!!B USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago - Original Album Series: Vol 2 - Chicago Ix Greatest Hits NEW CD USD $15.08 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago - Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits (1975, LP) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago's Greatest Hits by CHICAGO IX 12" LP ORIG 1975 Columbia PC 33900 POP NM USD $8.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits Columbia PC 33900 LP RECORD USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Chicago - Chicago Ix: Chicago's Greatest Hits [New Vinyl] USD $19.27 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING 2 Cassette Tape LOT 1975 USD $12.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Chicago - Chicago Ix: Chicago's Greatest Hits [Vinyl] LP Record NEWEST RELEASE USD $11.98 Buy It Now 4 days
LP< USD $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
(3) Chicago Cassette Lot - IX Greatest Hits - 17 - 18 USD $13.91 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest HIts 8 Track tape USD $9.88 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICAGO IX Chicago's Greatest Hits (8 Track, 1975, CBS) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 4 days
New CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits 1969-1974 JAPAN CD F/S USD $33.34 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICAGO IX CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS 1975 COLUMBIA ALBUM #PC 33900-STEREO USD $7.95 [0 bids]
USD $10.95 Buy It Now
CHICAGO IX Chicago's Greatest Hits CBS tape cassette MC 1976 MOR rock USD $2.52 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago (2) - Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits (Vinyl) USD $18.91 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO chicago IX - chicago's greatest hits LP EX+/EX- 69222, vinyl, album 1975 USD $20.16 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits Music Cassette USD $3.14 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO chicago IX - chicago's greatest hits LP EX+/EX- 69222, vinyl, album 1975 USD $22.86 Buy It Now 5 days
1975 Chicago Greatest Hits IX LP - Demo!! Excellent!! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago IX - Chicago 9 - Greatest Hits CD USD $4.00 [0 bids]
Chicago IX - GREATEST HITS 1969-74 Best Of Essential RHINO RECORDS New Vinyl LP USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago "Chicago IX - Greatest Hits" USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS - CASSETTE TAPE 1975 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits 1969-1974 WQCP-695 Warner Music Japan CD New F/S USD $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO IX Chicago's Greatest Hits REEL TO REEL TAPE 4 TRACK 3 3/4 IPS USD $39.98 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICAGO - Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits (Vinyl LP) WB73229R - NEW / SEALED USD $18.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago - Chicago IX Chicagos Greatest Hits 69 74 [CD] USD $8.62 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago IX Chicago's Greatest Hits/Rare Paper Label/Cassette/1975/Play Tested USD $6.30 Buy It Now 5 days
Chicago - Chicago IX - Greatest Hits - Cassette Tape Album USD $6.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago - Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits '69 - '74 - CD - New USD $9.54 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits Cassette Tape USD $8.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Rock Lp Chicago Ix: Greatest Hits On Columbia USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Rock Promo Lp Chicago Greatest Hits: Ix On Columbia USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
1975 LP RECORD CHICAGO IX CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS USD $4.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago - Chicago Ix: Chicagos Greatest Hits 081227962371 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $17.59 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits, Chicago, Good Original recording reissued USD $8.96 Buy It Now 6 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits - Reel To Reel Tape USD $9.99 [1 bids]
IX By Chicago (Greatest Hits) (Cassette 1985 Columbia) Used ORG 9 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
CHICAGO ( C T A ) IX Greatest Hits Reel to Reel Tape Sounds Great USD $53.95 Buy It Now 7 days
?CHICAGO IX: Greatest Hits Stereo LP 33-1/3 RPM 12 inch Vinyl Record USD $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
CHICAGO IX 8 Track Tape Chicago's Greatest Hits USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Chicago - Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits CASSETTE 1975 USD $11.88 Buy It Now 8 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits LP 1975 Columbia Records Canada Vinyl PC-33900 VG+/VG+ USD $5.95 Buy It Now 8 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO IX: GREATEST HITS [RHINO] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $7.62 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago IX - Chicago's Greatest Hits '69 - '74 Chicago Audio CD USD $8.61 Buy It Now 8 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS LP USD $3.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago Greatest Hits IX Cassette Tape USD $1.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago IX Greatest Hits USD $17.99 Buy It Now 8 days
LP CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS 1975 USED VINYL RECORD ALBUM CBS/COLUMBIA PC 33900 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 8 days
CHICAGO IX GREATEST HITS Cassette Tape, 1975, VG Columbia USD $9.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago - Greatest Hits IX [CD] USD $16.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Chicago - Greatest Hits IX [Vinyl Record] USD $25.07 Buy It Now 8 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits PC 33900 LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ Sleeve USD $7.98 Buy It Now 9 days
"Chicago - Chicago IX Greatest Hits" Cassette Tape (PCT 33900) USD $8.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits CD USD $4.47 Buy It Now 9 days
CHICAGO IX Greatest Hits Vinyl LP 33900 VG+/VG+ USD $5.77 Buy It Now 9 days
Chicago IX - Greatest Hits USD $5.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago : Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits 1969-74 CD (2005) USD $4.94 Buy It Now 10 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO IX: GREATEST HITS [RHINO] NEW CD USD $8.61 Buy It Now 10 days
CHICAGO - CHICAGO'S GREATEST HITS (CHICAGO IX) & IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW - CASSETTES USD $11.34 Buy It Now 10 days
CHICAGO 2 Vinyl LP Lot IX Greatest Hits 1 VG+/VG+ & Volume 2 Ex/VG+ USD $17.77 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits [VINYL] Chicago Vinyl USD $21.89 Buy It Now 10 days
Chicago - Chicago IX: Greatest Hits 1969-74 (NEW CD) USD $8.19 Buy It Now 11 days
Chicago IX: Greatest Hits [Rhino] by Chicago (CD, Oct-2005, Rhino (Label)) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy CHICAGO music online Buy CHICAGO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

CHICAGO Chicago IX - Greatest Hits ratings distribution

CHICAGO Chicago IX - Greatest Hits reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars A good start for a Chicago newbie and a surprising trip down memory lane.

OK I am a newbie I admit to one of the most prolific bands on the music scene who have been around since the late 60s. The only thing I had heard from Chicago is the flaccid sugar sweet ballad 'If you Leave me now' that my wife likes, and I despise. So I took the plunge and decided to grow slowly into the band with one of their many compilations. I decided that a compilation from 1975 would eradicate all the pop balladry that they declined into in later years. So as a lone reviewer of this well known band's compilation I can at least give an unbiased if uninformed opinion of the music.

We start with a classic that can be found on just about every compilation and has become a bonafide live staple for the band, 25 Or 6 To 4. The heavy guitar riff and strong beat appealed immediately to me, and then a delightful brass section comes in. The vocals are strong and have an unreserved early 70s feel. The harmonies are very well executed. I even recognised the tune from somewhere, perhaps a late night music show from the past. The lead break is terrific and the incessant riff is infectious, not to mention beautiful brass embellishments. The instant recognition was a sheer delight and I instantly fell in love with this awesome track that I could listen to over and over again without too much coercion.

The brass is even stronger on the next track, another classic Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? The jazz fusion is dynamic and this track from the first album certainly delivers. Another very cool riff dominated by clean vocals and piano rhythms. Cool lyrics too "And I was walking down the street one day, A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead, And I said Does anybody really know what time it is". I was stunned at how jazzy Chicago is and yet one does not get a hint of this in their popular mainstream ballads. Once again I was hooked on this from the beginning.

Colour My World is next, a very slow dreamy track driven by piano. It feels like a ballad yet nothing like the 80s Chicago. I particularly like the Hammond line beneath the music. There is a real beauty here embellished by flute passages.

Just You 'N' Me follows, with a strong horn section and love inspired forlorn lyrics. The harmonies are well accomplished in the chorus. I like the wah wah rhythm guitars and there is a nice tenor sax section to enhance the mood also. I am not a real fan of the sugar sweet lyrics though there is a good sound here.

Saturday In The Park is another classic that appears all over the place and this is the first time I had heard it though. Or so I thought, as immediately I recognised it from somewhere. I had heard a lot from the radio in the 70s so it makes sense I would have heard this. The brass carry it along and I particularly like the vocals on this and some great lyrics; "Another day in the park, I think it was the Fourth of July, People talking, really smiling, A man playing guitar, And singing for us all, Will you help him change the world." It even changes time sig later into a jazz funk style before returning to the intro beat. Great musicianship and a bonafide treasure form the group.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day is next on the compilation, from Chicago 6. Immediately again I knew the song but I guess did not know who had sung it. So really this was quickly becoming a nostalgic trip for me. I loved this song and it brought back some haunting memories. The instrumental section changes in to a faster signature and works so well with that cool 70s sound. A delightful gem from the group.

Make Me Smile does not sound too good on paper, a bit kitsch really, so I had trepidations about this one. It comes from Chicago 2 and has a powerful brass thing going on and the vocals are very soulful from Terry Kath also adept on lead guitars. The track is actually very good, cruising along with a strong beat and infectious melody. You gotta love that soul vibe with the lead guitars and brass trading off. I heard that Terry has passed on now but if this is any indication of the material he has produced with the band, Chicago 2 seems like an absolute must!

Wishing You Were Here follows, from Chicago 7, featuring Terry again, and this track reached #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1974 deservedly. It begins with acoustics over waves crashing on a lonely beach. The harmonies are strong, and there is an ethereal atmosphere that once again rings a bell from somewhere in my distant past. The haunting harmonies work brilliantly to create a powerful dreamy ambience. The vocals are fantastic on this track, especially Pete Cetera, I love the whole thing, and I am already a fan of the band by now.

Call On Me is next, a very radio friendly track that did not resonate with me, far too mainstream and not my style. I did like the tom tom and trumpets though. The weird thing is I knew I had heard this somewhere too, perhaps on the radio I would say. It began to occur to me here that I had grown up with Chicago but I never knew it till now.

Moving on to the next track we have (I've Been) Searchin' So Long also from Chicago 7. The dreaminess of the music here is compelling. There is a sweet melody in the balladic style. The strings and trumpets enhance the mood. Not my favourite by any means but I can still appreciate the musicianship and song structure excellence.

Last track is Beginnings, ironically enough. Again I knew of this track from the debut and that it is quite famous from the band. The pleasant vibe is unmistakeable with upbeat vocals and harmonies. The strong rhythm machine of drums and guitar is paramount to the sound. The brass is powerful again, along with very emotive lyrics; "I can never think of the right words to say, I am silent, only the beginning, what I want to feel forever." It ends with an extended jamming percussion section.

So at the end of this compilation, I feel I have at last been initiated into Chicago: a world of dynamic jazz fusion music. I can continue to cringe when I hear 80s Chicago ballads, but at least now I know there is more, so much more to this fantastic group of virtuoso musicians who have made such an indelible impact on the music scene for so many years.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Listen?

At first sight, this may appear to be a classic case of bad timing. Had the record company been a little more patient, the song which transformed Chicago from an admired jazz rock band to a household name, "If you leave me now" could have been included in this collection. Such an inclusion would undoubtedly have boosted sales of this collection enormously.

The foregoing can though be seen as a double edged sword, as that single also became the turning point for the band, who thereafter went in search of commercial success at the expense of what many saw as their artistic integrity. This set can therefore also be seen as marking the end of one era and the start of a new one, and to that extent was well timed.

We should note that the title here is "Greatest hits", not "The best of", and that is significant, especially when looking at Chicago's early years. Chicago did secure success in the singles chart early in their career, with songs such as "25 or 6 to 4", "Does anybody really know what time it is" and "Saturday in the park" making for superb jazz rock songs.

If we were compiling a "Best of" though, then this album would include more of the band's lengthier progressive pieces and suites which were scattered across the early double LP sets. None of the tracks here really capture that side of the band. Other notable omissions are the superb "I'm a man" and the highly accessible "Listen".

As "Greatest hits" collections go, this is an excellent set. Do not however assume that it offers anything like an accurate summary of what Chicago were all about during the period which justifies their admission to this site. Even in the early days, the band had a talent for recording potential hits.

3 stars I believe I was one of about 60 billion people who owned this album in the 70's. This is a decent tour of Chicago's music up until the point of 1975- although this IS a hits album and doesn't cover any of their more progressive or jazzy material from early in the band's career. Hits like "25 or ... (read more)

Report this review (#440304) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, April 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CHICAGO "Chicago IX - Greatest Hits"