CHICAGO 18

Buy CHICAGO Music
Studio Album, released in 1986

1. Niagara Falls (3:49)
2. Forever (5:15)
3. If She Would Have Been Faithful... (3:53)
4. 25 Or 6 To 4 (4;15)
5. Will You Still Love Me? (5:44)
6. Over And Over (4:19)
7. It's Alright (4:27)
8. Nothin's Gonna Stop Us Now (including unlisted track ?Free Flight?) (4:23)
9. I Believe (4:22)

- Tom Keane / keyboards, backing vocals
- David Foster / guitar, bass
- John Joyce / conductor
- Gerald Vinci / concertmaster
- Betty Joyce, Felicia Parazaider, Laurie Parazaider, Jason Pasol, Myhanh Tran, Peter Wade, Alitzah Wiener, Melody Wright / chorus

LP :Warner Brothers 9 25509-1 UK /Germany
Balkanton BTA 12112 Bulgaria

Thanks to snobb for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

CHICAGO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CHICAGO Chicago 18 Music

The Very Best of Chicago: Only the BeginningThe Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning
Rhino 2002
Live In JapanLive In Japan
Rhino 2014
Chicago's Greatest HitsChicago's Greatest Hits
Rhino 2005
Chicago Transit AuthorityChicago Transit Authority
Rhino 2002
Chicago II (Repackaged)Chicago II (Repackaged)
Rhino Records 2002
The Best Of Chicago 40th AnniversaryThe Best Of Chicago 40th Anniversary
Rhino Records 2007
Chicago - Hearts In Trouble Edit/LP - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $12.47 Buy It Now 37m 30s
Triple Album Collection Chicago CD US $21.99 Buy It Now 40m 2s
DJ Jerry G. Bishop Top 40 Rock Radio Show over WCFL Chicago 10/2/1967 US $9.00 [0 bids]
41m 38s
CHICAGO MEXICAN 45 TRANSLUCENT VINYL QUEDATE ESTA NOCHE (STAY THE NIGHT) US $3.99 Buy It Now 42m 16s
MILES DAVIS - At Plugged Nickel, Chicago - CBS / SONY 25AP 1 LP JAPANESE press US $18.95 Buy It Now 56m 49s
Chicago vinyl LP album record Chicago V + Posters UK 69018 CBS 1972 US $57.07 Buy It Now 1h
BOB DYLAN "Knockin' on heaven's door" CHICAGO - RARE 7" PROMO ITALY US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
CHICAGO - THE HEART OF : GREATEST HITS CD ~ 70's PETER CETERA ~ BEST OF *NEW* US $9.23 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Paul Kirby Rock Radio show - WCFL Chicago 6/24/1972 early 70s Rock US $9.00 [0 bids]
Art Roberts - WLS Chicago Radio Show 8/25/1967 US $9.00 [0 bids]
Chicago Gay Men's Chorus cd Cool Yule US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
CHICAGO - VIII ~ VINYL LP + POSTER US $28.56 Buy It Now 2h 6m
V.A. BLUES FOR BIG TOWN-Chicago Blues Archives vol. 1 (Chess PLP 6061) Jap. Mint US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
V.A. CHICAGO PIANO-OLOGY (Chess PLP 6022) jap. original Mint US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
DOUBLE DEALING BLUES Chicago Blues Arch. Vol. 2 (Chess PLP 6064) Jap. orig. Mint US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Live At The Checkerboard Lounge: Chicago 1979 by Guy, Buddy US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
[DVD] CHICAGO: RAW - Real Artists Working *NEW US $3.80 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Hubert & Branch Sumlin - Chicago Blues Session CD US $16.37 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Early Combinations CD US $17.74 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Chicago - I'm a Man - 2 CD - MINT CONDITION - FASTPOST US $7.55 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Bessie Smith - Chicago Bound Blues CD US $30.42 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Veracity - Evacuate Chicago (2010, CD New) Explicit US $6.33 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Chicago VI CD (1973) US $9.29 Buy It Now 3h 31m
CHICAGO "CHICAGO VII" ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE US $16.81 Buy It Now 3h 31m
SCREAMIN' & CRYIN' CHICAGO URBAN BLUES NON STOP JAPAN P-VINE OBI LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
SWEET HOME CHICAGO MAGIC SAM JAPAN P-VINE LP US $38.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
RHYTHM & BLUES OF CHICAGO ELMORE JAMES JAPAN LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Chicago: London Cast US $4.14 Buy It Now 3h 43m
M.C Garry & D.J Barry and the Aggeration.The Cubbies are Rockin Chicago Cubs US $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Itzhak Perlman Brahms Violin Concerto Chicago SO Giulini EMI Mint US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
GREEN DAY ~'SPITTING'~V.RARE SEALED KTS 394 CD 1995~18 Tracks CHICAGO~NEW! US $84.03 Buy It Now 4h 7m
JACK TEAGARDEN - CHICAGO & ALL THAT JAZZ - NEW CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 4h 10m
JOHN COLTRANE QUINTE - CANNONBALL ADDERLEY QUINTET IN CHICAGO - NEW CD US $17.94 Buy It Now 4h 15m
LIVE CHICAGO 1979 US $15.92 Buy It Now 4h 19m
JIMMY RUSHING - COMPLETE GOIN' TO CHICAGO AND LISTEN TO THE BLUES - NEW CD US $9.94 Buy It Now 4h 25m
PAUL McCARTNEY CHICAGO Vintage Music Press article/cutting 1971 US $20.17 Buy It Now 4h 27m
THE VONTASTICS MY BABY Day Tripper ST LAWRENCE CHICAGO NORTHERN SOUL 45 US $4.37 [3 bids]
LIZ LANDS DONT SHUT ME OUT One Mans Poison ONE DERFUL CHICAGO NORTHERN SOUL 45 US $17.65 [8 bids]
CHICAGO-Chicago 18-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F25 US $28.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Evacuate Chicago - Veracity [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h
Foxy R&B Richard Stamz Chicago Blues [CD New] US $12.75 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Mahler - Symphony No. 8 Solti Chicago Symphony x2 LP BOX SET London Records US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
CHICAGO I'M A MAN/ COLOUR MY WORLD 45 VINYL COLUMBIA HALL OF FAME US $0.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
M-DUBB RECORDS PRESENTS- THE BIRTH CD RARE "OOP" RAP CHICAGO FAMILY (NEW) US $9.99 [0 bids]
WJMK 104.3 OLDIES LANDECKER & THE LEGENDS VOL. 2 CHICAGO RADIO STATION RARE CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Chicago Gold Disc Japan Press Audiophile Sound, 1975 MasterWorks, RARE! US $11.52 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Vladimir Ashkenazy Beethoven piano c-to # 5 Egmont Chicago SO Solti Decca Mint US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Vladimir Ashkenazy Beethoven piano c-to #3 Sonata Chicago SO Solti Decca Mint US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Beethoven: Five Piano Concertos. Ashkenazy, Solti, Chicago SO, London, 4 LPs US $12.95 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Various Artists - Chicago (White Small Bands) (CD 2002) US $5.03 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Chicago Transit Authority GP8 Columbia Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, VG++ US $20.16 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Chicago Symphony Orchestra Orchestre de Paris Daniel Barenboim - Saint-Saens: S US $13.87 Buy It Now 5h 59m
CHICAGO GOLDEN HIGHLIGHTS LP CHEAP US $8.39 Buy It Now 6h
V/A The Blues Volume 3 LP Chess ?- CH 9276 Chicago Blues 1988 EX/VG+ PROMO US $21.25 Buy It Now 6h 20m
SUMMER LOVERS DEPECHE MODE CHICAGO TINA TURNER HEBREW ON COVER ISRAEL ISRAELI LP US $33.49 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Burnin' the Iceberg Chicago Stompers CD US $23.98 Buy It Now 6h 28m
4 Chicago Albums US $9.99 [0 bids]
SKAFISH What's This? 1976 - 1979 CD URGH! New Wave Chicago Punk US $9.99 [0 bids]
WEBSTER CORPORATION CHICAGO 45 RPM RECORD ADAPTOR US $2.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Virgin Mega Music Chicago US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Foghat - Extended Versions (CD BMG, AM) Sweet Home Chicago, Slow Ride, Fool City US $2.47 Buy It Now 6h 37m
HOVHANESS Mysterious Mountain. Stravinsky DIVERTIMENTO Chicago Symph. LP Vinyl US $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Music from Ravinia Vol. 4: Mozart Symphony No. 40 & 41; Levine, Chicago Symphony US $20.00 [0 bids]
Hi Fi & The Roadburners - Live In Fear City-Chicago Il (CD New) US $6.56 Buy It Now 7h 2m
Chicago Gangsters GangsterLove Rare WL Promo Soul/Funk LP Beautiful M- US $124.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Chicago 19 lp sealed vinyl US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Sumlin,Hubert & Branch - Chicago Blues Session [CD New] US $13.32 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Schola Antiqua Of Chicago - West Meets East: Sacred Music Of The Torino [CD New] US $18.97 Buy It Now 7h 12m
James Cotton Live from Chicago Original 1986 LP VG++ US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
SABERTOOTH "Live at the Green Mill" CD 2001 CHICAGO w Hammond B-3 Organ US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 20m
CHICAGO HEART OF..GERMAN CD 1989 REPRISE COMPILATION EX CON IFYOULEAVEMENOW US $8.39 Buy It Now 7h 21m
CHICAGO 16 UK LP FULL MOON K99235 1982 INNER STICKERED PETER CETERA SOFT ROCK US $6.71 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Chicago 63 Big Joe Williams CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Chicago 1998 London Cast CD US $5.25 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Big Jay McNeely Chicago Concert Poster 16" x 12" Promo Photograph US $8.40 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Chicago - II (2002) FREEPOST CD US $8.56 Buy It Now 7h 28m
The Rude Boys/Farley Keith-Give Your House To Me 12" Rare Classic Chicago House US $45.00 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Victor Romeo-You Can't Fight My Love 12" Rare Chicago House US $40.00 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Risque Rythum Team-122 House 12" Rare Chicago House US $40.00 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Ruben Gomez-Move 12" Rare Chicago House US $45.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Mark Imperial-J'adore Danser 12 Hot Chicago House US $35.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Mahler - Symphonie No. 9 Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Pierre Boulez US $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 45m
Bangin' the Box, Vol. 1 by Bad Boy Bill - CD 1995 Chicago House Music Radio DJ US $11.00 [0 bids]
Women Who Swing Chicago by Various Artists (CD, Dec-1998, Big Chicago) US $7.00 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Chicago(7" Vinyl P/S)Hard To Say I'm Sorry-Wea-U 79301-Italy-VG/VG+ US $8.39 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Chicago(7" Vinyl P/S)Hard To Say I'm Sorry-Wea-K 79301-UK-VG+/NM US $13.43 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Big Twist & The Mellow Fellows(Vinyl LP)Live From Chicago-Alligator-US-NM/NM US $20.99 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Curtis Mayfield (Vinyl LP)Curtis in Chicago-Curton-K 56250-UK-VG/VG US $16.79 Buy It Now 7h 57m
VIENNA CHICAGO SYMPHONY LM2112 RED SEAL LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
AMERICAN HERITAGE Bipolar CD 2004 Escape Artists Records Chicago metal Mastodon US $3.99 [0 bids]
CHICAGO-CHICAGO VII-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK D50 US $23.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Stereo is King: Mason Bates & Chicago Symphony Orchestra 2014 Brand New US $8.50 [0 bids]
Bartok Fritz Reiner Chicago Symphony LSC-2374 RCA Victor Red Seal 1960 US $9.95 [0 bids]
Live at the Checkerboard Lounge Chicago 1981 Muddy Water Vinyl LP US $32.92 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Chicago / Santana - 12" Japan Promo Only White Label US $82.50 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Chicago "VI" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Barry Manilow 45 I Made It Through The Rain / Only In Chicago 1980 Vinyl Record US $2.84 Buy It Now 8h 27m
25 Years 1968-1993 Climax Chicago Blues Band CD US $18.70 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Live From Chicago Jonathan Slocumb MUSIC CD US $9.23 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Chicago - VI - Gatefold LP Record/Vinyl CBS Inc. Columbia Rec. 1973 KC 32400 US $7.00 Buy It Now 8h 29m

More places to buy CHICAGO music online Buy CHICAGO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CHICAGO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CHICAGO Chicago 18 ratings distribution

CHICAGO Chicago 18 reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars I'll start this review with a brief personal story. ("Do you have to?" you may ask, but when you get to be my age and you've racked up anecdotes like billiards you'll feel compelled to share them at the drop of a hat, too. Indulge me.) As my bio informs in more detail, I played rock & roll guitar professionally (i.e. starved for my art) for well over a decade, then cried uncle, quit the biz and got a real job to support my growing family. After about 5 years of withdrawal I was recruited out of retirement and became a weekend rocker in a combo with some old pals for the extra moolah and an occasional thrill. One of those thrills came around about twice a year when the band got to play for lavish arts & craft shindigs held at the Texas state fairgrounds. Large stage and lights, amps on 10, huge sound system and a sizeable audience. (Beat the heck out of playing for Beth & Derrick's drunken wedding reception at the Elk's lodge, that's for sure.) Anyway, once upon a time while waiting to go on stage a tune I'd never heard before got piped through the PA at full blast. It was ridiculously fat, over-produced, pompous, indulgent, arrogant and completely over-the-top. In other words:

I loved it.

That was in 1987 and progressive rock wasn't just dead in the USA, it was putrefying in its moldy grave. I ran out front to the board and asked the sound engineer what he'd just played and he told me it was Chicago. Wha? You could've knocked me over with a feather. Once an avid CTA fan, I had lost touch with the group for a very long time and had no inkling as to what they were up to other than rolling my eyes at the obligatory Top 40 ballads they'd been cranking out like a Detroit assembly line. I procured a copy of this, their 18th LP soon after and have plopped it on the turntable from time to time ever since. If there was a category called progressive pop (a contradiction in terms if there ever was one) this album would be in the upper echelon. Cheesy crooner Peter Cetera had just left the group to go solo on the AOR charts and evidently his exuberant replacement and sound- alike, bassist Jason Scheff, invigorated and electrified the rest of the ensemble and the result is a record that's admittedly slicker than the wake of the Exxon Valdez, but full of a brand of high-fidelity heat and excitement that was hard to come by in those vacant, MTV virus-riddled days. Don't get me wrong, kids. It ain't "Close to the Edge" by any stretch but anything that even vaguely resembled prog was welcome in that dark age.

The opener, "Niagara Falls," is a great example of what I'm talking about. Producer and hit- maker extraordinaire David Foster was evidently trying to out-Spector Phil Spector on this, his last at the helm of Chicago, and big ain't the word for the massive, towering production techniques in play here. Danny Seraphine's programmed but still dynamic drums with their kickass accents and the forceful mix of bright synthesizers with the always-crisp horn section is devastatingly flash. Their glossy vocal harmonies make the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sound like a folk duo and the keyboard effect in the mid section makes it sound as if they hauled in the world's heaviest Kalimba for the lead. Call me crazy for ear candy but it's pretty amazing stuff to witness. The sugary "Forever" follows and it's one of those numbers from keyboardist/singer Robert Lamm that, despite the hot undercurrent throbbing below the half-time melody line and a ton of depth, is basically the same kind of embroidered love song he's been penning since high school.

The track I heard that day on the fairgrounds was "If She Would Have Been Faithful" and it's still a killer cut. After a sparse beginning the number quickly grows into a gargantuan piece in which no grandiose aspect is restrained. The vocals are stacked to the nth degree and they toss in some engaging kicks throughout as they play around the beat cleverly. And, though they didn't write this one, the payback's-a-bitch lyrics are cool. "If she would have been faithful/if she could have been true/then I would've been cheated/I would never know real love/I would have missed out on you," they sing. Then they crash right into a wham- bam-thank-you-ma'am version of their classic "25 or 6 to 4" and it's Katy bar the door, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. There's a palpable metallic taste to savor (due in no small part to guest Steve Lukather's smokin' guitar) and the whole thing's as punchy as Evander Holyfield. The horns are so far up front here that they almost deliver a knockout blow to your speakers. This sizzles like frying fatback and is a rare instance of improving on something that was impressive to begin with. In fact, I can hardly stand to listen to the original any more. Yowza!

"Will You Still Love Me" is next and, yes, it's a sappy power ballad but instead of dense guitars you get deep, heavily-layered synths and strings. Gotta give 'em props for not holding back, though. There's nothing weak about it and it's very in-your-face aggressive at times. I've heard worse #3 hit singles. "Over and Over" is pop R&B typical of the 80s, very formula and very forgettable. I've been a follower of Bill Champlin since his early "Sons of Champlin" days when that eclectic band was creating some intriguing jazz rock/fusion music that was just odd enough to deny them a wide audience (but musicians adored them). His "It's Alright" tune begins with a wicked synthesizer note and then jumps right into a hard driving beat as his soulful voice rings out loud and clear. It's nothing spectacular but the rhythm never lets up for a moment and you might be tempted to grab your girl and cut the rug while it plays. Nothing wrong with that. There's a short, unlisted coda that's identified as "Free Flight" in the liner notes and it's nothing but super-tight horns put together by trombonist James Pankow. Unfortunately, that's the end of the good stuff.

They wisely placed the weakest material on the rear end of the proceedings, starting with a faceless, unremarkable contemporary lite-rock ditty called "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now." Champlin's "I Believe" is yet another power ballad that sounds like an outtake from Earth, Wind & Fire but it lacks the wow factor that made his "After the Love is Gone" such a winner for those boys years earlier. The bandwagon that began rolling with Michael Jackson's "We Are the World" video didn't pass by these dudes unnoticed and "One More Day" is a blatant rip-off borne of that same ilk. Pankow's horn arrangement is notable, however, and the not-surprising inclusion of a children's chorale at the end gives the song a slight boost.

I'm positive that many prog purists would desperately fight nausea if they sat through this album and I totally understand. The word "prog" hardly applies. In many ways this is a guilty pleasure of mine and not suited to everyone's taste. But I love it when music is done up BIG and there's no denying that Chicago pushed the limits as far as they could production-wise on this record and filled up a lot of space. In the latter part of the 80s prog was a four-letter word in the biz and the general public wanted to see their music more than they wanted to listen to it so BIG was the only alternative I had to the fluffy hair bands and the techno-rock rubes that ruled the airwaves. Overblown stuff like this was all some of us had. I won't insult you by calling it great so "good but not essential" pretty much covers it for me.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#254446) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 05, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Ex-Cetera

Having achieved their biggest commercial success ever with the album "Chicago 17", Chicago were shaken to the core by the subsequent departure of Peter Cetera. If the death of original band member Terry Kath had previously caused the band to question their future the loss of Cetera, who wanted to pursue a solo career, was even more of a blow at a time when their star was rising high. This time though, there was no question of the band folding, and in 1985 bassist and singer Jason Scheff was added to the line up as a replacement for Cetera. Scheff was the son of bassist Jerry Scheff, who had at one time toured with Elvis Presley. Aged just 23, he got the job primarily because of the similarity of his voice and its key with that of Cetera.

David Foster was once again retained as producer, but this would be his final album for Chicago. Song-writing duties were split between the band members and professional song-writers such as Steve Kipner, Bobby Caldwell and Randy Goodrum.

The opening "Niagara falls" is one of the songs written by outsiders (Kipner and Caldwell). The blaring synths and lead vocals by new boy Scheff give the track a very un-Chicago like feel. This is pure 80's AOR, think Starship, REO Speedwagon or Foreigner. The album moves between such upbeat pop rock and smooth ballads. Robert Lamm's "Forever" is an example of the latter, but even here the synth now has that very dated 80's sound. The second half of the track actually develops quite nicely, with a decent brass interlude being a feature.

Undoubtedly the most interesting track here is the re-recording of the wonderful "25 or 6 to 4", a song which originally appeared on Chicago's second album. Originally written by Robert Lamm, this recording is co-credited to him and James Pankow. The version here is slowed down and dramatised through a heavy drum beat, a new lead guitar solo and additional horn bursts. Overall, the new recording reminded me of what Far Corporation did with Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to heaven". It is very much a case of love it or hate it, but overall, while this version is by no means an improvement on the original, it is of some merit.

Jason Scheff sings on all of the songs released as singles from the album, including the top 10 hit "Will you still love me?" That song is very much in the mould of the band's recent hits, but still managed to secure a US top 10 placing. Interestingly though the album flopped commercially.

As a rule, the brass section is ruthlessly sidelined, reduced to occasional bursts of backing fills. The track "Nothin's gonna stop us now" though (not the Starship song of that name), opens with an unlisted half minute or so of unaccompanied horns playing a piece called "Free flight". Momentarily, old fans will be stirred by the sound, but all too soon we drift back into another of the pop rock numbers. As if to emphasise the pop credentials of the album one last time, the closing "One more day" even includes a children's chorus.

It was perhaps understandable that Chicago would react to the loss of Peter Cetera by making a very safe album. It goes without saying that there is very little of interest in prog terms here. The longer tracks only run to 5 or 6 minutes, and do so simply because they are slower ballads. While the brass section add welcome titbits from time to time, there is little in the way of overt instrumentation at all. This then brings us to the strength of the songs and in particular the melodies. On that front, the album is pleasantly harmless.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#391958) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Post a review of CHICAGO "Chicago 18"