MANIFEST DENSITY

Moraine

Moraine Manifest Density album cover

Buy MORAINE Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Save The Yuppie Breedeing Grounds (4:12)
2. Ephebus Amoebus (4:55)
3. Nacho Sunset (4:29)
4. $9 Pay-Per-View Lifetime TV Movie (5:51)
5. Manifest Density (3:55)
6. Uncle Tang's Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (4:01)
7. Disillusioned Avatar (5:15)
8. Kuru (5:02)
9. Revenge Grandmother (5:11)
10. Staggerin' (4:41)

Alicia Allen/violin
Kevin Millard/bass guitar, baliset
Jay Jaskot/drums

MoonJune Records MJR028 2009
Recorded in Seattle, WA, betwen August 12 and 14, 2008.
Produced by Dennis Rea.

Thanks to Ricochet for the addition

MORAINE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MORAINE Manifest Density Music

Manifest DensityManifest Density
Moonjune Records 2009
Metamorphic RockMetamorphic Rock
Moonjune Records 2011
GroundswellGroundswell
Moonjune Records 2014

More places to buy MORAINE music online Buy MORAINE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MORAINE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MORAINE Manifest Density ratings distribution

MORAINE Manifest Density reviews

Review by js (Easy Money)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Sounding somewhat like a mix of Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Fred Frith's Gravity, Bartok string quartets and McLaughlin's Indo - fusion, Moraine's Manifest Density draws on Progressive Rock's past, but synthesizes something totally fresh and new at the same time. With two string players on board they are able to expand further on the violin-rock sound initiated by Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson. In fact, it's that seamless mix of semi-sting section and jazz-rock trio that is the hallmark of this band's sound.

Although this band can improvise on a scale comparable to the best fusion bands, their love of progressive rock composition often makes them more similar to jazzy prog-rock bands such as Focus or Quiet Sun. Meanwhile, their tendency to favor heavy diminished scale riffs with odd-metered rhythms will bring on the Mahahavishnu/Crimson reference again. To their credit though, despite all the obvious tributes to their favorites of the past, Moraine never sounds cheaply derivative or short on original musical ideas. Also, their tendency towards the occasional 'pretty' melody or chord progression makes them different from the harsher members of the jazz-rock set. Album closer, Middlebrau, in particular recalls a classic escalating 'prog-rock' chord progression, but with a more modern less indulgent approach.

Like many of the artists on the Moonjune label, Moraine has a very pure 'live' sound with little or no overdubbing or slick studio technology. The exact antithesis of ambient nu jazz, acid jazz, trip-hop or much of today's post-Laswell neo-psychedelic music, the individual musical lines of each player can be clearly heard and they are not buried beneath reverb, echo and a plethora of modern 'dubbing' techniques. If you are looking for a modern and original extension of bands like King Crimson, Henry Cow and Mahavishnu Orchestra, Moraine has it.

Send comments to js (Easy Money) (BETA) | Report this review (#253501) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 29, 2009

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars A challenge to the senses

Each time I receive one of this album collections from Leonardo "Moonjune" Pavcovic, my taste expands more, because I used toe a simple Symphonic Prog fan that sometime bought some Prog Related albums, but this packages have created a new addiction for extremely complex and intelligent music that "Moonjune Records" signs with.

After opening every album, I noticed that the concept of Jazz + Rock equal Fusion, is something from the past, because contemporary bands add more and more different elements as the time passes, but this guys from MORAINE have really broken all my schemes, their album "manifest deNsity" consists in one surprise after another, something that makes the job of a reviewer harder, but the musical experience more satisfactory, specially for somebody who hates predictable music.

Even when the Jazz structure is clear and obvious for any listener, this guys are experts breaking boundaries, because they show influence of MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA, KING CRIMSON, ZAPPA, etc (For God's sake I even listen some KANSAS hints) with an Avant Garde and RIO touch. The strange thing is that I'm not a fan of most of this artists, but I enjoy the ability to maintain an extremely complex and elaborate structure but without loosing the ability to jam when necessary.

Normally I make track by track reviews, except when I write about Fusion bands because it's extremely difficult top make justice to the general mood of the album, and in this case it's even harder, being that MORAINE has such a diversity of influences and styles that would be an almost impossible task.

But still I have to mention at least three tracks, the frenetic and eclectic "Save the Yuppie Breeding Grounds", where the extravagant caprice of Jazz blends with the dark mysterious sounds of ethnic music and "Manifest Density" which kept me at the edge of the sit with the breathtaking guitar and Jazz performance enhanced with the intense violin sections and perfect percussion, disturbing and enjoyable.]

Last but not least, the nostalgic and experimental "Revenge Grandmother", a song that challenges the preconceived ideas I had about music, something that after 3 decades of Prog listening is hard to achieve.

So, again I'm before a great Fusion album that deserves no less than 4 solid stars.....Highly recommended.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#463523) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 17, 2011

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars Playing this album now, some four years after it was originally released, it is somewhat hard to realize that this is a debut. Here is a band that somehow fuses the strange weird anarchy of Art Zoyd with traditional Chinese influences, avant-garde jazz, hard rock and everything in between. The name of the band is in itself a clue to the music to be found inside the covers, as it is often defined as "An accumulation of boulders, stones, or other debris carried and deposited by a glacier". What we have here are various talents who have somehow ended up in the same place and have formed a band, and sometimes they even sound as if they are on the same planet. I don't want it to seem that there is no structure to what they are doing ? rather it is the opposite, the only way musicians can play so diversely yet make total musical sense at all times is by having an innate agreement and strong understanding of the direction.

The line-up on the debut is Dennis Rea (electric guitar), Ruth Davidson (cello), Alicia Allen (violin), Kevin Millard (bass, baliset) and Jay Jaskot (drums) and while the rhythm section provides the foundation the three melody players vie for centre stage. I have lost count of how much I have been playing this, as it is one of those albums that has somehow refused to be review as every time I have tried to write the words I have instead sat back and let this incredible album flood over me. Personal favourite (today) is the title song, which starts with a repeated guitar line which is then joined by the others. Amazingly, this album was recorded in just three days yet is highly complex with purpose and direction. There is a real sense of togetherness and understanding of the journey to be followed which is often missing from this style of music where those involved are creating the path as they go along. Here the path is known, if only to them, and they follow it to new heights as if they know the route to the top, which may seem either impassable or invisible to others.

An absolutely stunning album from the first note to the last.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#910844) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 07, 2013

4 stars Trying to explain this album is a challenge. In Moraine, the excellent writer and guitarist Dennis Rea has made a big, bold statement. I am not so sure if this review will do the same, but I will do my best though. Excuses submitted........ Moraine is not making things easy for themselve ... (read more)

Report this review (#344103) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Sunday, December 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MORAINE "Manifest Density"