AT-KING

Collectors/fans only

Buy DEYSS Music
Studio Album, released in 1985

Side 1
1. The Meeting Of The Lords (1:38)
2. Turning night Into Day (5:39)
3. After And After (7:12)
Side 2
4. Chinese Dawn (3:31)
5. March Of Destiny (2:12)
6. At King (9:49)

Search DEYSS At-King lyrics

Search DEYSS At-King tabs

- Giovanni De-Vita / Fender Stratocaster, Kramer Pacer Series, Roland GR 700 guitar synthetizer and Bouzouki
- Patrick Dubuis / Wall Custum Bass, Rickenbaker 4001, Moog taurus bass pedals
- Paul Reber / Roland GR 700 guitar synthetizer, Moog Taurus bass pedals
- Giustino Salvati / Godwin CS 444 organ, Prophet 5, Emulator 1, Roland JX8P, Korg Polysix, Minimoog, Moog, Korg MS 20, Crumar Performer and Roland Vocoder SVC 355.
WITH:
- Patrick Fragnere / voice
- Matt "the Traveller" / drums Yamaha, Dynacord, Rototums drum kits, Paiste cymbals
- José Manuel Candil / trompet
- Juan Antonio Candil / trumpet
Additional instruments / Concert Kettledrum, Turbular Bells, Linn drum machine.

CD Musea Records FGBG 4017.AR (1985)

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

DEYSS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEYSS At-King Music

Vision In The DarkVision In The Dark
Musea 1987
Dragonfly From the SunDragonfly From the Sun
Musea Records France 2006
At KingAt King
Musea Records France 2001

More places to buy DEYSS music online Buy DEYSS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEYSS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEYSS At-King ratings distribution

DEYSS At-King reviews

Review by lor68
2 stars This is the most commercial of their published albums, regarding the Swiss neo-progressive scene of the eighties. There are a lot of commonplaces and nothing sounds original!! They did much better when their second release - "Vision in the Dark" - was issued!! Not recommended!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#1741) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 01, 2004

Review by silvertree
1 stars Very poor, amateurish and uninventive neo-progressive rock. This is just an abominable Marillion-sound-like album. Stay away. I hope the other albums are better... Anyway, I got rid of mine so you may find it second-hand so beware ! I forgot to mention the use of lousy drum machines. Some people just never learn...

Send comments to silvertree (BETA) | Report this review (#1743) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 07, 2005

Review by Prog-jester
2 stars Commonly regarded as ''the worst album from the worst band in Prog'', this EP (or short LP) is not that much disgusting. Some nice solos in ''After and After'', some catchy moments in eponymoys epic, the whole amateurish mood that I like in such Poppish Neo...but that's not enough for a good album. So that's true, it's very much like collector's item and don't bother getting this one (only if you're prepared for synth-pop beat in the very first track after intro!). 1,5 stars and no recommendations

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#163536) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 09, 2008

Review by progrules
2 stars Looking at some comments of the past this should be one of the worst albums on this site but if you look at the ratings without review it's not that badly awarded with several 4 star- and even a 5 star rating. But all in all an average of 1,93 doesn't give much hope for something great or at least nice. But I'm a neo lover, freak even and I decided to judge for myself by still buying this one (sales) despite an avoid and a not recommended by prog reviewers.

First (short) track suggests we're in the middle ages with some apparent sword fighting, well in fact so does the cover artwork so that's probably the idea here. An insignificant little song for an opener, an overture for the rest. Second is a real song but it's not very impressive and the indeed poor production becomes evident. Third, After and After, is somewhat better, more like a real neo sounding song with nice guitar and more variation than the slightly monotonous Turning Night into Day. Not bad this one coming close to a three star effort. Side one of this original vinyl scoring about 2,3 for me.

Second side opens with two short tracks. The first, Chinese Dawn, with hints to Chinese sounds is an instrumental, nice without being great. The second, March of Destiny, indeed sounding like a march with medieval tournament feel, is a sort of upbeat for the final epical title track, supposedly but also in reality by far the best track of this EP (this album is so short I wouldn't want to call it a real album, even for vinyl standards). This song is neo prog how I usually expect it, a genuine neo epical song with interesting compositional variation. Although I have to say the vocals are slightly annoying here especially when Patrick Fragnere does his high pitch efforts. This is not helping the song to a high level. Not by chance I believe the middle part of the song is the best as it is mainly instrumental.

In the end also this track can't save this EP from a two star rating. Side two scores about 2,5 for me making it a 2,4 overall so I will have to round down to two stars. Slight consolation for Deyss: I've heard worse in my life. So the reviewers were right and the raters not in my opinion although it will always still be a matter of taste.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#192756) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 13, 2008

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
2 stars Finally,the time has come for me to review one of the most-I would dare to say-hated albums in progressive rock history,DEYSS's ''At king''.DEYSS were formed back in late 70's by Govanni DeVita.Several live appearances will follow with the band considering Yes,ELP and Genesis as their main influences.DEYSS represented themselves to the public in 1985,releasing a short-LP,entitled ''At king'' with a running time just over half an hour.

Despite the aforementioned influences,just a couple of listenings are enough to bring one and only band to your mind: MARILLION.This is pure neo-progressive very much keyboard-oriented and a guest vocalist named Patrick Fragniere.What about the music?...Well,I could call DEYSS just an average MARILLION-clone...Opening track ''Meeting...'' begins with the sound of battling swords and ends with a decent guitar solo.The follower ''Turning night...'' is a total disaster.Awful drum-machines,very much pop- oriented and disturbing vocals compose a bad image for the band.Things get a lot better with ''After and after''.A ballad-like track with good chorus,nice keyboards,decent guitar solos but a little bit overlong.''Chinese dawn'' is another decent track in the line.A good instrumental with slow-tempo and interesting keyboard work.''March of destiny'' follows and things get worse again.Despite sounding quite original due to the ''marching'' keyboards,the result is very amateurish,even childish,with a cheesy sound.This short LP closes with the eponymous track and this is a really good one.Clocking just under 10 min.,this track offers nice vocal arrangements-despite Patrick Fragniere's lack in vocal range-,some complex drum programming(!),superb synthesizers/guitar work and overall a good neo-symphonic sound,a path the band should have chosen from the very start of this album...

So,what about the rating?...Despite my love for neo-prog and some nice moments,this album has many weak references...Almost total lack of originality,amateur sound and vocals,badly sounding drum machines and an evident inexperience in composition...So,this is an album mainly for collectors and die-hard neo fans...Genarally I'd recommend you to spend your time and money somewhere else,there is a lot much better albums on market than this one...

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#194413) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 19, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars 2.5 stars, really. Well, we all know how influential Marillion has become over the years, which is quite ironic, since they were themselves labeled as īGenesis-clonesī with no originality when the general press critics first heard them. History proved them wrong, but I was quite surprised to realise that they were already being themselves cloned as early as 1985. When I saw the cover of this CD I knew it should be something in the vein of Fish era Marillion, and I was right. So originality was not Deyss forte. However, if it is good, I tend to forget this point. I like bands that plays in the same mold as Marillion, like that one from Canada, Red Sand.

At-King however, is more promising than really good, although they do have some nice stuff. The short intro The Meeting Of The Lords is a good introduction that, unfortunatly, leads to the weakest momento of the whole CD, the popish Turning Night Into Day. Not a bad song per se, but the very 80īs sounding eletronic drums and the chessy keyboards timbres are too dated to be effective. The very good guitar parts canīt save the day with this one. The singerīs voice is little too boyish here (maybe trying to sound like Jon Anderson instead of Peter Gabriel?). Unlike one reviewer wrote, the vocalist on this album is Patrick Fragnere, a guest, and not the one called Jester, who would join the band by the time they released their second CD.

Things get a lot better with After And After, a very nice prog ballad that works quite well all the way through (excellent keys and guitar). The next two songs are just short instrumental tracks tha again show how good Giovanni De-Vita (guitar) is, but ultimately are just sound like introductions to something that never comes. The last tune (yes, this is a very short CD, running at only 33 minutes) is their very best, the title track of the album is surely the longest and the most interesting of the lot: lots of tempo changes, mood swings, strong solos, tasteful arrangements and convincing perfomances of all involved. Great song! It really made me give the added half star in my rating.

All in all not a bad CD. Quite promising in fact, but it is highly derivative too. Iīm curious about its follow ups. If you love the early 80īs neo prog scene in general, and Marillion in particular, you shold check this out.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#420896) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3 stars mmm low rating. Ok it's not a masterpiece for sure...but there are good ideas here that can't be ignored. This album is 100 % accessible with catchy melodies, nice chorus, and instrumental songs, but also nice keyboards solos, the style remember me some single from Pendragon, and it's a blend o ... (read more)

Report this review (#415688) | Posted by Aragon | Monday, March 14, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars everybody who likes Genesis and playing some strument in my high school in the seventies could have done much better than Deyss at this first effort. Amatorial, embarassing, pooooor producted, too short. ugly vocals. The group has published after this album Vision in the dark, much better at le ... (read more)

Report this review (#145239) | Posted by babbus61 | Wednesday, October 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEYSS "At-King"