THE BEST OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Emerson Lake & Palmer The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer  album cover

Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Music
Live, released in 2003

1. Fanfare For The Common Man (2:46)
2. Karn Evil 9 : First Impression / Third Impression (18:53)
3. A Time And A Place (3:07)
4. Bitches Crystal (4:27)
5. Still...You Turn Me On (3:03)
6. Lucky Man (2:53)
7. Piano Improvisation (9:40)
8. Take A Pebble (2:40)
9. Knife Edge (6:09)
10. Honky Tonk Train Blues (3:37)
11. From The Beginning (4:10)
12. Hoedown (4:53)

Search EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer lyrics

Search EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer tabs

- Keith Emerson / keyboards, synths
- Greg Lake / vocals, bass, electric & acoustic guitar
- Carl Palmer / drums, percussion

This album is made up entirely of selected tracks from the 1998 album "Then and now".

and to easy livin for the last updates

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer Music

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER**FIRST FIVE: PICTURE DISC COLLECTION (RSD 2013)**5 VINYL US $79.50 Buy It Now 34m 23s
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends US $2.99 Buy It Now 35m 20s
Emerson, Lake & Palmer 3 CD DVD Deluxe Remaster US $99.95 Buy It Now 40m 49s
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Mar Y Sol LIVE 1972 - NEW Limited Edition LP US $32.39 [0 bids]
45m 47s
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition LP - German press - VG+ US $4.25 [0 bids]
50m 26s
NEW - Recupera Tus Clasicos Emerson, Lake & Palmer, 4 Albumes Originales US $19.89 Buy It Now 1h 3m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION SEALED USA 1971 LP NO BARCODE US $38.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Trilogy USA Cassette Tape Slipcase US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Emerson Lake & Palmer-works vol 1.LP US $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 41m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER -WORKS VOLUME 1 & 2----CLASSIC ROCK----2 GREATEST HITS LPS US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Love Beach by Emerson Lake & Palmer US $9.72 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Works Volume 1 by Emerson Lake & Palmer US $11.34 Buy It Now 1h 55m
7"-Single EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Peter Gunn (1979) ELP US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Emerson Lake &Palmer:Works I-II. Indian pressing LP EX+/M- US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 41m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER 3 ALBUM TARKUS BRAIN SALAD SURGERY PICTURE AND EXHIBITIO US $8.00 [0 bids]
The Essential Emerson, Lake & Palmer [Remaster] by Emerson, Lake & Palmer... US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Tarkus ~ GATEFOLD VINYL LP PINK RIM US $32.39 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition UK Island 1971 LP US $8.08 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer ELP Jerusalem New Sealed Record Store Day 7inch single US $11.33 [0 bids]
Rock W/ Poster LP EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Brain Salad Surgery on Manticore US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-IN THE HOT SEAT +1-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Flyers JAPAN + UK Festival Gig Promo Concert Handbill RARE US $6.89 [0 bids]
DEF LEPPARD / EMERSON LAKE & PALMER 1992 ITALY 7" JUKE-BOX PROMO W/STRIP !!!!! US $12.95 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Pictures At An Exhibition ELP 66666 Vinyl Records US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER brain salad surgery LP Record VG 1973 US $22.50 Buy It Now 3h 47m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Love Beach CD * RARE * Remaster CASTLE ESMCD363 1996 US $16.50 Buy It Now 4h
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition [CD New] US $8.47 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Self Titled, Atlantic Import 781519-1 Ex Condition Vinyl US $16.19 Buy It Now 4h 12m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER, TRILOGY, LP, GREY LABEL,9903; VERY GOOD+, INNER SLEEVE US $0.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ~ Love Beach ~ VINYL LP 1978 US $5.33 [0 bids]
MFSL Emerson, Lake & Palmer Pictures At An Exhibition LP NM- US $25.00 [0 bids]
5h
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhibition COTILLION 1972 1st press PIROS! US $39.95 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake & Palmer CD (2014) Brand New US $31.99 Buy It Now 5h 28m
The Best Of Emerson, Lake & Palmer US $1.25 Buy It Now 5h 33m
ELP- s/t (SHM-CD) Japanese mini Lp (king crimson, Emerson lake US $47.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus - Vinyl LP US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
ELP- tarkus (SHM-CD) Japanese mini Lp (King crimson,Emerson lake US $47.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER [Selftitled] 71 EX/EX/VG+ Play Graded US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Emerson lake & palmer- welcome back my friends to the show (Mini Lp) (2CD) (ELP) US $45.99 Buy It Now 6h 10m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - TARKUS NEW VINYL US $54.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
EMERSON LAKE PALMER - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY CD FOLD OUT VICTORY 383480015-2 US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
EMERSON LAKE PALMER - PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (180GM) NEW VINYL US $42.22 Buy It Now 6h 16m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER In The Hot Seat w/Bonus 1994 Japan NEW VICP-5400 EL&P ELP US $12.58 [1 bids]
ELP- pictures at an exhibition- mini Lp (King crimson, Emerson lake US $32.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER UK IMPORT 1978 ATLANTIC K 50552 LP / RECORD US $9.99 [0 bids]
ELP- works vol 1. (2CD) - mini Lp (King crimson, Emerson lake & palmer) US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER 1st Album SD 9040 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Best Of (Vinyl, 1980, Atlantic) US $5.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE PALMER BLACK MOON JAPAN AUTHENTIC SHM MINI LP CD NEW VICP-70161 US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER WORKS Vol. 2 LP ELP EMBOSSED US $3.69 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Vintage Vinyl Record Album 1983 Greg Lake (of Emerson Lake Palmer) Manoeuvers US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 55m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Trilogy LP SD 19123 US $3.95 Buy It Now 8h
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER TRILOGY SD 9903 1972 Used US $12.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER--------TRILOGY 33 RPM US $5.30 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Brain Salad Surgery CD NEW Bonus Tracks US $12.26 Buy It Now 8h 20m
The Best of Emerson, Lake & Palmer [Atlantic] by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD,... US $8.50 Buy It Now 8h 39m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER TRILOGY COTILLION 1972 US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 44m
The Best of Emerson, Lake & Palmer by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, Atlantic) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Trilogy Emerson, Lake & Palmer MFSL NEW(CD, Jan-1995, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) US $259.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer JAPAN 3 titles Platinum SHM-CD Mini LP SS PROMO BOX Vol 2 US $186.99 Buy It Now 9h
The Atlantic Years by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, 1992, 2 Discs, Atlantic) US $12.00 [0 bids]
"Classic Rock" "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" "Brain Salad Surgery" "Rare LP" US $9.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends (ARUN) US $7.00 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Tarkus (LP) Cotillion SD-9900 Stereo 1971 US $1.00 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer -Works Vol. 1-PROMO-ONLY Edit LP! US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 49m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER CD..."BEST OF" Used USA Copy US $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION COTILLION 1972 US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Lucky Man and Other Hits by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, Jun-1997, Flashback... US $2.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER - TARKUS - 1971 ATLANTIC GATE- VINYL / Exc. / PROG ROCK US $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 26m
1971 PROG ROCK Emerson, Lake & Palmer Self Titled Vintage Vinyl LP LUCKY MAN US $3.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY. JAPAN.OBI US $5.99 [0 bids]
Tarkus (Deluxe Edition) (2 CD Set), Emerson Lake & Palmer, New US $15.65 Buy It Now 11h 41m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Trilogy (Gatefold) {SD-9903} Record, Vinyl, Album, LP US $2.50 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER TRILOGY MFSL Gold CD mint!! US $24.99 [1 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Works Vol. 1 2-CD Victory US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-BRAIN SALAD SURGERY +3-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 12h 29m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (1971) JAPAN CD 32XD-372 ELP US $34.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - Fanfare For The Common Man - 7" US $6.45 Buy It Now 12h 51m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-LOVE BEACH +3-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 12h 57m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-TRILOGY +3-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 13h 14m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus Vinyl LP US $45.35 Buy It Now 13h 17m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER THE BEST 1980 GERMANY 50 757 LP US $9.85 Buy It Now 13h 28m
Pictures at an Exhibition by Emerson, Lake & Palmer *New CD* US $5.79 Buy It Now 13h 36m
The Best of Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (Vinyl) US $4.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-WORKS LIVE-JAPAN MINI LP 2 HQCD H75 zd US $36.99 Buy It Now 14h 31m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER SELF TITLED 1970 MANTICORE K 45303 A1 B1 EXCELLENT COND US $24.29 Buy It Now 15h 57m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - TARKUS, COTILLION SD-9900, 1971 PROG LP RECORD EX US $10.99 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Emerson Lake & Palmer, 1970 DEBUT ALBUM, COTILLION SD-9040, Vinyl LP Record, US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 15m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-BRAIN SALAD SURGERY DX EDITION-JAPAN DVD-AUDIO+2HQCD M65 US $54.99 Buy It Now 18h 10m
EMERSON LAKE PALMER Love Beach LP Vinyl Original 1978 SEALED Mint SD-19211 US $2.99 Buy It Now 19h 18m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ELP 'WORKS VOLUME 2' US IMPORT LP US $12.95 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Tarkus - Emerson, Lake & Palmer. White Label Promo, SD-9900, Very good LP US $11.00 Buy It Now 19h 42m
Emerson, Lake&Palmer/ Live At The Royal Albert Hall-1993 Victory Music-11 Tracks US $3.50 Buy It Now 19h 44m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhibition VG+ Cotillion SMAS-94286 ELP US $17.95 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Black Moon 11 Track LP 1992 SEALED US $45.00 Buy It Now 20h 14m
EMERSON LAKE PALMER LOVE BEACH 1978 LP 33 RPM SEALED US $44.97 Buy It Now 20h 39m
Live in Poland by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, Nov-2004, Sanctuary) New US $6.39 Buy It Now 21h 21m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER~TARKUS~JAPAN~OBI~1976 AUDIOPHILE PRESS~INSERT~MINT- US $89.00 Buy It Now 21h 27m
Emerson Lake & Palmer ELP JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD Love Beach NEW SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 49m
I Believe in Father Christmas [EP] by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, 1995, Rhino) US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER music online Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EMERSON LAKE & PALMER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer ratings distribution

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer reviews

Review by clarke2001
3 stars For the sake of the accuracy: the full, official name of this compilation is "Fanfare: The Best Of Emerson Lake And Palmer - Live". It's on of the dozen live compilations published so far. What can I say about this one? It's always tricky to rate the compilations. Die hard-fans are usually looking for previously unreleased songs, takes, unusual live versions, songs that are rarely performed live, bootlegs etc. Newcomers will look for some "Best of" type of compilations, something more approachable. Perhaps no compilation could be that bad not to be a good introduction.

So, what was the purpose of this one, except for earning extra money on band's and publisher's account? According to Mr. Joey Webb's foreword in the inner sleeve (I guess he was the compilation editor), "(This compilation is) a good cherry-picking of the early ELP catalogue, taking highlights from their early albums, such as their eponymous debut, and it's follow-up, "Tarkus", and taking in chunks of "Brain Salad Surgery". Topped and tailed by two Aaron Copland pieces (...), makes a suitably high-stepping end to a punchy live distillation of their many peaks."

(taken from compilation's inner sleeve, Joey Webb, April 2003, with minor shortenings)

Well, is it a cherry-picking or a prune?

The compilation consists of twelve tracks: Copland's "Fanfare" and "Hoedown", two Tarkus' pieces - "A Time And A Place" and "Bitches Crystal"; and "Knife Edge", "Honky Tonk Train Blues" and "From The Beginning"- they were all recorded on '97/'98 tour. The rest of the tracks - "Karn Evil 9" , two unavoidable acoustic ballads, and continuous float of "Piano Improvisations" and "Take A Pebble" were recorded at concert in California in 1974.

"Fanfare For The Common Man" is...well...common opener for a concert. Correctly performed, ELP's new digitalized sound, no prolonged solos. Forgettable. Compilation continues in much better manner, with "Karn Evil 9", but the first thing you'll notice is that the sound is not perfect. It's somewhat distant, echoey, like from a barrel. After a second or two you will realise that carnival started without Pt. 1 of the "First Impression"! It goes straight-to your-face with the "Welcome back..." lyrics of a known hit and proceeds with the entire epic (except for few truncated parts, such are some nice piano jazzy parts and calypso-steel drum section).No, wait a second. There is no Second Impression at all! Although it is listed on CD. The same applies for this track as for a "Tarkus" track on their "Live At The Royal Albert Hall": is neither here nor there. It's not just a brief excerpt, but it is not a magnificent piece in it's full entirety neither. However, musicians here are in the top form, performance is outstanding. Palmer's drum solo is VERY long, spectacular, but boring. Okay, maybe that's just me, I don't love drum solos of any kind. I guess it wouldn't be boring if one is able to see Palmer's revolving drum-set and his pulling of bell's chords with his teeth, because his hands were way too busy raping the gongs. Of course, there's a lack of visual experience with a CD. The other, maybe trivial thing worth mentioning is the very end of the epic. It's ending with programmed sequence that is speeding up, and in this performance Keith pulled out the fast possible speed from the sequencer, I think above 1000 Hz! (you can't count hundreds of beats-per-minute anymore!) Painful for the ears and literally brain-damaging (salad surgery?).

"A Time And A Place" is one of those rare 70's songs that actually sounds good with modern, digital sounds. The only annoying thing, really annoying, is Lake's way of singing. Okay, his voice changed, I can accept that. But his tension to improvise all the known vocal melodies and to sing in pentatonic scales is really obnoxious. He is killing all the magic much more efficient than Emerson's digital strings are: the song that should sound nasty sounds like a blues ballad. This is present not only in this particular song or on this particular compilation, it's a ubiquitous fact in the ELP's comeback-career in a whole. I remember how excited I was when I heard this song for the first time. So raging! Reminded me of THE BEATLES' screams in "Helter Skelter". But that magic is gone for good. Anyway, I you can digest Lake's new way of singing, the rest is well-done, cleverly rearranged song.

Everything that I said for "A Time And Place" could apply for another Tarkus' gem, "Bitches Crystal". Only the new digital arrangements are less present because song is played mostly on piano.

I guess that we, average ELP-fans are forced to listen to the two best-known Lake's acoustic ballads over and over again. Indeed, "Still...You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man" are present on almost every compilation, live or in studio, from 70's until today. Someone get me a ladder! Surprisingly, these two are not so bad, they actually sound quite nice. Especially "Lucky Man" sounds very folkish. Lake wasn't singing pentatonic scales yet.

Mr. Emerson's piano improvisations are always astonishing, despite the fact that he's always repeating the same patterns through the stones of years. This one is including "Fugue" excerpt (bravo!) and "Little Rock Getaway" that I can stand anymore. Of course, piano solo floats into the "Take And Pebble", a very emotional performance from the trio, Emerson playing without being clumsy.

After the romantic piano melodies, the compilation is taking us back to the nineties and to the digital soundscapes again; this time with the "Knife Edge", overall not bad performance but with the little bit annoying arrangements. After that, band successfully manages to squeeze out all the sense of the "Honky Tonk Train Blues". It sounds like an average rubbish blues, not the Lewis' blues masterpiece comparable to geniuses such are Mussorgsky and Ginastera. Lewis' revolutionary interpretation of locomotive sounds inside the blues pattern is simply not working here. Pity. Well, after the worst, things can only get better and I dare to say the highlights are the two last songs: "From The Beginning", beautiful semi-acoustic ballad, to often overlooked by the band-members themselves. It's lacking loveliest electric guitar arrangements in the entire ELP's career, but features lovely prolonged keyboard solo.

The compilation closes with 90's performance of "Hoedown". If you think it's an outstanding performance, believe me it's not, actually this the worst Emerson's live performance. Keith played very clumsy the vivid country solo in the first part of the song : skipping fast sixteenth notes, hitting the wrong keys, terrible. However, I like this one the most because band sounds so sincere, like they were enjoying, not only doing their contractual obligations. As song goes, it gets much better; the keyboards are howling and squealing under Keith's fingers, utilising on of the best sample-and-hold featured works here (randomly modulated sound timbre, the best example is that bleep-burp-buzzing sound at the beginning of the First Impression Pt. 2). Again, visual component is missing and it's really hard to say is Keith raping the keyboards, leaning on them, stabbing them with knives or simply pressing one key and letting the digital technology to do the job. Even if the last one is the case, I'm saluting Keith and especially his sound technician, Will Alexander, because of the extraordinary good job done on programming the patches. I'm able to fully appreciate this because I'm a keyboard player, but I'm often wondering how many things I'm not able to appreciate simply because I don't understand the matter. I think Emerson, Lake and Palmer are three geniuses, but there must be something above, so to say. Some of my friends, who are classically trained musicians are telling me the things about ELP's music that I am not able to fully understand, and I am not a newcomer in music area. I guess most of us (including me) are able to see only the top of the iceberg.

Overall impression: this compilation is a mixture of brilliant highlights and terrible disasters, with some average moments thrown in. The set of the tracks is not bat itself, but the performances should have been chosen better. Design of the CD is nothing to die for, when you open the case you'll see the foreword printed upside-down - the details are printed in a form of the poster bended in quarters rather than a booklet. Pictures of the band itself are not very spectacular.

And the worst thing about this compilation is:all of these tracks are published before! On the same CD!! Check "Then And Now". So I guess this is some sort of a poor man's compilation, no matter if the listener is a newcomer or a fan. A nice little document, but the purpose is questionable. Considering all the "pros" and "cons", I'm rating it with 2,5 stars.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#99201) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 17, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Nothing new here

"The best of Emerson Lake and Palmer live" contains only selected tracks from the 1998 album "Then and now". The rather ambiguous title does not mean that these are the best live recordings but that the tracks are, in the compiler's view, ELP's best songs.

The track selections and sequencing are both sloppy and haphazard. Five of the tracks are from the 1974 Cal Jam concert, the rest are from 1997/8. They are however mixed together with no discernible logic. There are two flaws in this. Firstly, the 1974 recordings are of bootleg quality, while those from 1997/8 are of a high quality. Secondly, Lake's voice changed so much in the intervening period, that it sounds like there are two different lead vocalists at work here.

The 1974 recordings are actually just taken from two tracks. "Karn evil 9's" first (part 2 only) and third impressions are joined together, while the "Take a pebble" medley incorporates several other Lake songs plus Emerson's Piano improvisations.

All the other tracks are from the comparatively recent recordings. All the longer tracks from these recordings are however ruthlessly omitted, leaving only the short, generally lighter numbers such as "Hoedown", "Knife edge", and "From the beginning".

In short, go for the infinitely superior "Then and now", and you'll get everything here, plus a whole lot more.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#115068) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2007

1 stars The worst ELP album I ever bought! The sound is muffled and the live recordings are some of the most horrible recordings I've heard. My 1974 vinal record of "Welcome Back My Friends..." sounds way better than this CD! Invest in one of the studio recordings and you will be much happier. ... (read more)

Report this review (#18920) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EMERSON LAKE & PALMER "The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer "