THE BEST OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Emerson Lake & Palmer The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer  album cover

Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Music
Live, released in 2003

1. Fanfare For The Common Man (2:46)
2. Karn Evil 9 : First Impression / Third Impression (18:53)
3. A Time And A Place (3:07)
4. Bitches Crystal (4:27)
5. Still...You Turn Me On (3:03)
6. Lucky Man (2:53)
7. Piano Improvisation (9:40)
8. Take A Pebble (2:40)
9. Knife Edge (6:09)
10. Honky Tonk Train Blues (3:37)
11. From The Beginning (4:10)
12. Hoedown (4:53)

Search EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer lyrics

Search EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer tabs

- Keith Emerson / keyboards, synths
- Greg Lake / vocals, bass, electric & acoustic guitar
- Carl Palmer / drums, percussion

This album is made up entirely of selected tracks from the 1998 album "Then and now".

and to easy livin for the last updates

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer Music

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Welcome Back My Friends To The Show.. 2CD BRAND NEW Live US $14.00 Buy It Now 37m 27s
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Love Beach LP Atlantic 1978 PROG US $8.95 Buy It Now 56m 28s
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Self Titled First LP Atlantic 1971/1977 Reissue IN SHRINK US $8.95 Buy It Now 56m 28s
LOT of 10 LPs EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ELP s/t, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery, Works US $55.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER-BRAIN SALAD~ -JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD BT Ltd/Ed J50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - All I Want Is You - 1978 ATLANTIC 7" Single US $6.40 Buy It Now 1h 15m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER-TROLOGY-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD BT Ltd/Ed I45 US $41.50 Buy It Now 1h 29m
ELP EMERSON LAKE & PALMER trilogy Japan mini lp SHM CD SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Tarkus CD Japan 13 tracks Atlantic 18P2-2851 obi US $9.99 [1 bids]
Black Moon by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, Mar-2011, Sony Music) US $1.50 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy LP - Cotillion SD9903, 1972 US $3.48 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Self Titled LP 1971 Cotillion SD 9040 Vinyl Record US $4.74 Buy It Now 2h 17m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER Live Original Album Classics 2011 3x CD SEALED US $15.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus - REMASTERED PROG HEAVEN - CD IN EX CONDITION US $1.59 [1 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition (1996) REMASTERED - CD IN EX US $1.59 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Trilogy 1972 ORIGINAL 8 TRACK TAPE US TESTED ELP US $5.98 Buy It Now 2h 30m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ELP works live JAPAN MINI LP SHM 2 CD KEITH GREG CARL SEAL US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
ELP EMERSON LAKE & PALMER works vol.1 Japan SHM 2 CD SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Jerusalem 7" vinyl Sound Clip in Listing US $8.02 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Love beach Over 500 Fairly priced lp's US $2.95 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] CD US $12.99 [1 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - ELP - CALIFORNIA JAM - LIVE LP - NO TMOQ -TAKRL - RARE US $39.99 [0 bids]
3h
ELP Ladies & Gentlemen Welcome Back My Japan 2 SHM CD EMERSON LAKE PALMER Seal US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h
EMERSON LAKE PALMER - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY - 1973 US PRESS LP + DIE CUT GATEFOLD US $16.02 [0 bids]
In the Hot Seat by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, Jul-1994, Victory Records) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (2002) LP STYLE CD US $8.80 Buy It Now 3h 43m
6 EMERSON LAKE & PALMER LPS WORKS WELCOME BACK MY FRIENDS TRILOGY SELF TITLED US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Ladies & Gentleman [CD New] US $54.71 Buy It Now 4h
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - REEL TO REEL - 7.5 ips - PLAY TESTED US $75.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Works, LP. Classic Rock, VOL 2 US $6.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Works Volume 2 white label PROMO classic prog band best of US $9.00 [0 bids]
emerson lake & palmer 2 lp record set 1 owner private collection US $10.00 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Vinyl LP Atlantic Records 1971,SD-19120,Self-titled~NM-! US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Emerson Lake Palmer The palms london 71 2 lps no tmoq rare US $80.00 [0 bids]
"EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER" SHRINKED "BRAIN SALAD SURGERY" GERMANY IMPORT LP RECORD US $39.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer: The Best Of Cassette VG++ Canada Atlantic XCS-19283 US $7.49 Buy It Now 6h
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Works Vol 2 ATLANTIC NM no bar code US $14.95 Buy It Now 6h 23m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Works Vol 1 ATLANTIC 2 LP no bar code, trifold cover prog US $14.95 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Emerson Lake & Palmer In Concert Cassette Over 300 listings Combined US $1.95 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER s/t RM DELUXE 2 CD & 1 DVD AUDIO 5.1 Steven Wilson OOP US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Emerson Lake & Palmer ***Trilogy **Brand New Record LP Vinyl US $23.87 Buy It Now 6h 44m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER WORK VOLUME 2 1977 ATLANTIC LABEL LP US $1.99 Buy It Now 6h 45m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER in concert LP Mint- SD 19255 Vinyl 1979 Record US $10.50 Buy It Now 6h 47m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ELP works live JAPAN MINI LP SHM 2 CD KEITH GREG CARL SEAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
ELP EMERSON LAKE &PALMER works vol 2 JAPAN SHM CD KEITH GREG CARL SEALED US $7.99 [0 bids]
ELP EMERSON LAKE PALMER in concert Japan mini lp SHM-CD SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
ELP EMERSON LAKE&PALMER love beach Japan mini lp SHM-CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
ELP Ladies & Gentlemen Welcome Back My Japan 2 SHM CD EMERSON LAKE PALMER Seal US $9.99 [0 bids]
ELP EMERSON LAKE & PALMER works vol.1 Japan SHM 2 CD SEALED US $11.99 [0 bids]
THE NICE ~ SIGNED OFFICIAL PHOTOS ~ EMERSON LAKE PALMER ELP SET OF AUTOGRAPHS US $152.31 Buy It Now 7h 26m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER "PROMO / NM WAX" Love Beach P-10603 OBI LP Ah4005 US $7.99 [1 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER "Love Beach" NM LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer-Lot of 3 US $7.50 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy USA CD Prog Rock #AO01 US $4.89 Buy It Now 8h 43m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhibition ELP 66666 LP 1972 VG+ US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Emerson Lake & Palmer-Love Beach-LP-Atlantic-SD 19211-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.49 Buy It Now 8h 46m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER brain salad surgery LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - LADIES AND GENTLEMEN (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $56.88 Buy It Now 9h 42m
EMERSON , LAKE & PALMER TARKUS US $7.99 [0 bids]
10h
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Trilogy LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
SEALED 8 TRACK TAPE - EMERSON LAKE & PALMER WORKS Volume 1 US $18.98 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Cassette 1973 Manticore Records) US $1.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhibition LP Cotillion ELP 66666 Gatefold US $3.00 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Welcome Back My Friends Tpl LP US $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Live at the Royal Albert Hall by Emerson, Lake & Palmer US $2.49 [0 bids]
Trilogy Emerson Lake & Palmer LP US $8.77 Buy It Now 10h 42m
Vintage LP Album - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - WORKS - 1977 US $4.25 Buy It Now 11h
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER IN CONCERT US $4.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER 1st Album SD 9040 US $1.99 [1 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhibition Gatefold ELP 66666 US $1.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Atlantic Years 1992 2 CD JAPAN B7848 US $16.50 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE PALMER 1972 ProgRock UK LP TRILOGY VG++/VG+ ISLAND(PinkRim) 2U / 2U US $11.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE PALMER - TRILOGY (180GM) NEW VINYL US $47.70 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Self Titled Vinyl LP Record Album US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 31m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Pictures at an Exhibition VPLR-70116 LD AF3497 US $14.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Welcome Back VILP-49 OBI LD AG1018 US $14.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER Pictures at An Exhibition VPLR-70116 LD AE1711 US $9.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER 8 TRACK TAPE Pictures at an Exhibition TESTED nw splice US $6.49 Buy It Now 11h 43m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Self Titled VG++ Vinyl Lp - 1971 Lucky Man Prog Rock US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Emerson Lake & Palmer OnTour With Promo Only Prog / Psych LP NM US $29.99 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition CD Atlantic original tracks US $6.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
EMERSON,LAKE & PALMER-Tarkus-71 CD US $0.99 [1 bids]
VTG Vinyl Record Album LP 1977 Emerson Lake Palmer Works Volume One Atlantic DBL US $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 4m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER WORKS Vol 1 & Vol 2 3 LP Lot Classic Progressive US $2.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER-WELCOME~ -JAPAN 2 MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD BT Ltd/Ed L60 zd US $51.50 Buy It Now 13h 25m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Tarkus" LP 1971 SD 9900 NICE US $9.95 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE PALMER 40TH REUNION CONCERT New DVD ELP US $19.95 Buy It Now 13h 53m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER BRAIN SALAD SURGERY '73 LP diecut hr giger h.r. oop vinyl! US $29.00 Buy It Now 14h 29m
ELP EMERSON LAKE PALMER in concert Japan mini lp SHM-CD SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Emerson Lake & Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery (CD 1973) Keith~Greg~Carl US $0.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER tarkus LP VG+ 85527 IT Vinyl German Island A1/B1 Stamped US $56.25 Buy It Now 14h 31m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhibition (live) CD NEW Bonus Studio Track US $13.00 Buy It Now 14h 42m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Tarkus VG++ Cotillion SD-9900 album vinyl ELP US $14.95 Buy It Now 14h 48m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition KOREA RARE LP NM NR! +Incert US $12.00 Buy It Now 14h 51m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER LP VG+ SD 9040 Cotillion 1971 USA George Piros Masterd US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 58m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Welcome Back+2 JAPAN mini lp SHM 2 CD ELP KEITH CARL GREG US $18.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER tarkus LP VG 85527 IT Vinyl German Island A1/B1 Stamped US $36.00 Buy It Now 15h 40m
Emerson Lake & Palmer : Black Moon CD (1997) US $7.18 Buy It Now 15h 46m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (Vinyl, 1971, Atlantic) US $5.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER love beach LP Mint- SD 19211 Vinyl 1978 Record US $6.75 Buy It Now 16h 12m

More places to buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER music online Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EMERSON LAKE & PALMER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer ratings distribution

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer reviews

Review by clarke2001
3 stars For the sake of the accuracy: the full, official name of this compilation is "Fanfare: The Best Of Emerson Lake And Palmer - Live". It's on of the dozen live compilations published so far. What can I say about this one? It's always tricky to rate the compilations. Die hard-fans are usually looking for previously unreleased songs, takes, unusual live versions, songs that are rarely performed live, bootlegs etc. Newcomers will look for some "Best of" type of compilations, something more approachable. Perhaps no compilation could be that bad not to be a good introduction.

So, what was the purpose of this one, except for earning extra money on band's and publisher's account? According to Mr. Joey Webb's foreword in the inner sleeve (I guess he was the compilation editor), "(This compilation is) a good cherry-picking of the early ELP catalogue, taking highlights from their early albums, such as their eponymous debut, and it's follow-up, "Tarkus", and taking in chunks of "Brain Salad Surgery". Topped and tailed by two Aaron Copland pieces (...), makes a suitably high-stepping end to a punchy live distillation of their many peaks."

(taken from compilation's inner sleeve, Joey Webb, April 2003, with minor shortenings)

Well, is it a cherry-picking or a prune?

The compilation consists of twelve tracks: Copland's "Fanfare" and "Hoedown", two Tarkus' pieces - "A Time And A Place" and "Bitches Crystal"; and "Knife Edge", "Honky Tonk Train Blues" and "From The Beginning"- they were all recorded on '97/'98 tour. The rest of the tracks - "Karn Evil 9" , two unavoidable acoustic ballads, and continuous float of "Piano Improvisations" and "Take A Pebble" were recorded at concert in California in 1974.

"Fanfare For The Common Man" is...well...common opener for a concert. Correctly performed, ELP's new digitalized sound, no prolonged solos. Forgettable. Compilation continues in much better manner, with "Karn Evil 9", but the first thing you'll notice is that the sound is not perfect. It's somewhat distant, echoey, like from a barrel. After a second or two you will realise that carnival started without Pt. 1 of the "First Impression"! It goes straight-to your-face with the "Welcome back..." lyrics of a known hit and proceeds with the entire epic (except for few truncated parts, such are some nice piano jazzy parts and calypso-steel drum section).No, wait a second. There is no Second Impression at all! Although it is listed on CD. The same applies for this track as for a "Tarkus" track on their "Live At The Royal Albert Hall": is neither here nor there. It's not just a brief excerpt, but it is not a magnificent piece in it's full entirety neither. However, musicians here are in the top form, performance is outstanding. Palmer's drum solo is VERY long, spectacular, but boring. Okay, maybe that's just me, I don't love drum solos of any kind. I guess it wouldn't be boring if one is able to see Palmer's revolving drum-set and his pulling of bell's chords with his teeth, because his hands were way too busy raping the gongs. Of course, there's a lack of visual experience with a CD. The other, maybe trivial thing worth mentioning is the very end of the epic. It's ending with programmed sequence that is speeding up, and in this performance Keith pulled out the fast possible speed from the sequencer, I think above 1000 Hz! (you can't count hundreds of beats-per-minute anymore!) Painful for the ears and literally brain-damaging (salad surgery?).

"A Time And A Place" is one of those rare 70's songs that actually sounds good with modern, digital sounds. The only annoying thing, really annoying, is Lake's way of singing. Okay, his voice changed, I can accept that. But his tension to improvise all the known vocal melodies and to sing in pentatonic scales is really obnoxious. He is killing all the magic much more efficient than Emerson's digital strings are: the song that should sound nasty sounds like a blues ballad. This is present not only in this particular song or on this particular compilation, it's a ubiquitous fact in the ELP's comeback-career in a whole. I remember how excited I was when I heard this song for the first time. So raging! Reminded me of THE BEATLES' screams in "Helter Skelter". But that magic is gone for good. Anyway, I you can digest Lake's new way of singing, the rest is well-done, cleverly rearranged song.

Everything that I said for "A Time And Place" could apply for another Tarkus' gem, "Bitches Crystal". Only the new digital arrangements are less present because song is played mostly on piano.

I guess that we, average ELP-fans are forced to listen to the two best-known Lake's acoustic ballads over and over again. Indeed, "Still...You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man" are present on almost every compilation, live or in studio, from 70's until today. Someone get me a ladder! Surprisingly, these two are not so bad, they actually sound quite nice. Especially "Lucky Man" sounds very folkish. Lake wasn't singing pentatonic scales yet.

Mr. Emerson's piano improvisations are always astonishing, despite the fact that he's always repeating the same patterns through the stones of years. This one is including "Fugue" excerpt (bravo!) and "Little Rock Getaway" that I can stand anymore. Of course, piano solo floats into the "Take And Pebble", a very emotional performance from the trio, Emerson playing without being clumsy.

After the romantic piano melodies, the compilation is taking us back to the nineties and to the digital soundscapes again; this time with the "Knife Edge", overall not bad performance but with the little bit annoying arrangements. After that, band successfully manages to squeeze out all the sense of the "Honky Tonk Train Blues". It sounds like an average rubbish blues, not the Lewis' blues masterpiece comparable to geniuses such are Mussorgsky and Ginastera. Lewis' revolutionary interpretation of locomotive sounds inside the blues pattern is simply not working here. Pity. Well, after the worst, things can only get better and I dare to say the highlights are the two last songs: "From The Beginning", beautiful semi-acoustic ballad, to often overlooked by the band-members themselves. It's lacking loveliest electric guitar arrangements in the entire ELP's career, but features lovely prolonged keyboard solo.

The compilation closes with 90's performance of "Hoedown". If you think it's an outstanding performance, believe me it's not, actually this the worst Emerson's live performance. Keith played very clumsy the vivid country solo in the first part of the song : skipping fast sixteenth notes, hitting the wrong keys, terrible. However, I like this one the most because band sounds so sincere, like they were enjoying, not only doing their contractual obligations. As song goes, it gets much better; the keyboards are howling and squealing under Keith's fingers, utilising on of the best sample-and-hold featured works here (randomly modulated sound timbre, the best example is that bleep-burp-buzzing sound at the beginning of the First Impression Pt. 2). Again, visual component is missing and it's really hard to say is Keith raping the keyboards, leaning on them, stabbing them with knives or simply pressing one key and letting the digital technology to do the job. Even if the last one is the case, I'm saluting Keith and especially his sound technician, Will Alexander, because of the extraordinary good job done on programming the patches. I'm able to fully appreciate this because I'm a keyboard player, but I'm often wondering how many things I'm not able to appreciate simply because I don't understand the matter. I think Emerson, Lake and Palmer are three geniuses, but there must be something above, so to say. Some of my friends, who are classically trained musicians are telling me the things about ELP's music that I am not able to fully understand, and I am not a newcomer in music area. I guess most of us (including me) are able to see only the top of the iceberg.

Overall impression: this compilation is a mixture of brilliant highlights and terrible disasters, with some average moments thrown in. The set of the tracks is not bat itself, but the performances should have been chosen better. Design of the CD is nothing to die for, when you open the case you'll see the foreword printed upside-down - the details are printed in a form of the poster bended in quarters rather than a booklet. Pictures of the band itself are not very spectacular.

And the worst thing about this compilation is:all of these tracks are published before! On the same CD!! Check "Then And Now". So I guess this is some sort of a poor man's compilation, no matter if the listener is a newcomer or a fan. A nice little document, but the purpose is questionable. Considering all the "pros" and "cons", I'm rating it with 2,5 stars.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#99201) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 17, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Nothing new here

"The best of Emerson Lake and Palmer live" contains only selected tracks from the 1998 album "Then and now". The rather ambiguous title does not mean that these are the best live recordings but that the tracks are, in the compiler's view, ELP's best songs.

The track selections and sequencing are both sloppy and haphazard. Five of the tracks are from the 1974 Cal Jam concert, the rest are from 1997/8. They are however mixed together with no discernible logic. There are two flaws in this. Firstly, the 1974 recordings are of bootleg quality, while those from 1997/8 are of a high quality. Secondly, Lake's voice changed so much in the intervening period, that it sounds like there are two different lead vocalists at work here.

The 1974 recordings are actually just taken from two tracks. "Karn evil 9's" first (part 2 only) and third impressions are joined together, while the "Take a pebble" medley incorporates several other Lake songs plus Emerson's Piano improvisations.

All the other tracks are from the comparatively recent recordings. All the longer tracks from these recordings are however ruthlessly omitted, leaving only the short, generally lighter numbers such as "Hoedown", "Knife edge", and "From the beginning".

In short, go for the infinitely superior "Then and now", and you'll get everything here, plus a whole lot more.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#115068) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2007

1 stars The worst ELP album I ever bought! The sound is muffled and the live recordings are some of the most horrible recordings I've heard. My 1974 vinal record of "Welcome Back My Friends..." sounds way better than this CD! Invest in one of the studio recordings and you will be much happier. ... (read more)

Report this review (#18920) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EMERSON LAKE & PALMER "The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer "