THE BEST OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Emerson Lake & Palmer The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer  album cover

Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Music
Live, released in 2003

1. Fanfare For The Common Man (2:46)
2. Karn Evil 9 : First Impression / Third Impression (18:53)
3. A Time And A Place (3:07)
4. Bitches Crystal (4:27)
5. Still...You Turn Me On (3:03)
6. Lucky Man (2:53)
7. Piano Improvisation (9:40)
8. Take A Pebble (2:40)
9. Knife Edge (6:09)
10. Honky Tonk Train Blues (3:37)
11. From The Beginning (4:10)
12. Hoedown (4:53)

Search EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer lyrics

Search EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer tabs

- Keith Emerson / keyboards, synths
- Greg Lake / vocals, bass, electric & acoustic guitar
- Carl Palmer / drums, percussion

This album is made up entirely of selected tracks from the 1998 album "Then and now".

and to easy livin for the last updates

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer Music

Emerson Lake & Palmer-IN THE HOT SEAT 1994 12 track Japanese Japan OBI ELP BONUS US $24.12 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Trilogy Emerson Lake Palmer LP SMAS94773 G US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Brain Salad Surgery [Rhino Bonus Track] by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD,... US $58.50 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - COME & SEE THE SHOW: BEST OF EMERSON LAKE PALMER NEW CD US $15.97 Buy It Now 2h 26m
THE BEST OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $16.69 Buy It Now 2h 34m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER Trilogy (1972) Vinyl LP EXCELLENT GATEWOOD US $4.99 [0 bids]
EL&P Emerson, Lake & Palmer Japan Mini LP CD 5pcs SET W/BOX US $158.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Essential 2CD Best Of NEW US $9.68 Buy It Now 3h 31m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - TARKUS (DLX) NEW CD US $20.66 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition CD US $14.14 Buy It Now 4h 28m
The Atlantic Years by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (CD, 1992, 2 Discs, Atlantic... US $9.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer : Works Vol 2 CD (1996) US $6.03 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Best Of The Bootlegs 2 CD Set 2004 classic rock ELP 1970's US $12.00 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Love Beach - Record/Vinyl 1978 Atlantic Rec. SD 1921 US $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 9m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Pictures At An Exhib/Isle Of Wight/Montreux '97 3x DVD NEW US $22.50 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Vinyl LP Prog Records Genesis,Electric Light Orchestra,Emerson Lake Palmer US $5.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION +1-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER NUTROCKER JAPAN US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Love Beach LP Promo SD 19211 Vinyl 1978 Record 33 rpm rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Japan P-8033A 1971 NM LP EMERSON LAKE&PALMER Debut Album US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Welcome Back Remastered 3x 180G LP NEW US $51.54 Buy It Now 7h 19m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Japan P-8133A 1971 Ex LP TARKUS US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 20m
NEW - Then & Now by Emerson Lake & Palmer US $9.75 Buy It Now 7h 23m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - FROM THE BEGINNING: THE BEST OF 2CD SET (2011) US $9.18 Buy It Now 7h 33m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Works Volume 2 (1977) Japan Mini LP SHM-CD NEW VOL II US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Works ~ 8 Track Tape US $7.95 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (2001) US $1.60 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (2001) US $1.60 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER "TARKUS" 180gr VINYL 2 LP NEW & SEALED US $38.70 Buy It Now 7h 50m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER ~ SELF TITLED ~ ATLANTIC 19120 US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Works Vol. I & II 8 Track Tapes TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 39m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ~ LUCKY MAN / KNIFE'S EDGE ~ COTILLION 44106 ~ ROCK 45 US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Trilogy 1972 USA Gatefold Orig. E/E US $2.99 [1 bids]
EMERSON LAKE + PALMER 1980 The Best Of ELP 12" Vinyl 33 LP JAZZ PROG ROCK G+ US $7.99 [0 bids]
9h
Emerson Lake & Palmer The Best Of (VG+) 1980 Atlantic 12" LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER..FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN "ALMOST MINT" PROG.ROCK 7" US $3.21 Buy It Now 9h 13m
ORIG 1977 DBL LP "EMERSON LAKE & PALMER"WORKS VOL 1-NOBODY LOVES YOU LIKE I DO US $1.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer-"Works" Japan mini lp cd's US $22.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON,LAKE & PALMER pictures at an exhibition 1971 UK ISLAND STEREO LP HELP 1 US $19.36 Buy It Now 10h 39m
AUDIO CASSETTE Emerson, Lake & Palmer/Brain Salad Surgery 1973 PROGRESSIVE ROCK US $5.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer Music Pkg. 6 Record Albums 1 CD all VG++ to VG+++ US $4.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-WORKS VOLUME 2 +3-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER WLPromo DJ COPY MONAURAL 1st LP UNPLAYED 1971 US $350.00 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Welcome Back My Friends 3-LP Vinyl Record VG Condition US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus [CD New] US $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 15m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-TARKUS +1-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 11h 30m
ASIA - ASIA CASSETTE IN MINT CONDITION / EMERSON LAKE & PALMER / YES US $13.04 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER, S/T - GERMAN LP 85 382 IT US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 45m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER ELP / PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION 1972 JAPAN Orig LP w/ OBI US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER ELP / WORKS 1/2 1981 LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
Emerson Lake & Palmer In Concert 8 Track Tape TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 12h
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER IN CONCERT RARE LP ISRAEL US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 12m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER LOVE BEACH RARE LP ISRAEL ATLANTIC US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 14m
EMERSON,LAKE & PALMER US $7.00 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer Love Beach JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD NEW SEALED US $5.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer THREE 8 - Track Tape Collection Brain Salad Surgery Works US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 4m
Greg Lake of Emerson Lake & Palmer article 1981 and ELP US $3.87 Buy It Now 13h 17m
Lucky Man and Other Hits by Emerson, Lake & Palmer BRAND NEW CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
BRAIN SALAD SURGERY EMERSON LAKE & PALMER MANTICORE LABEL 1973 K535 01 H R GIGER US $37.09 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Trilogy" LP Album 1972 US $8.00 [0 bids]
Trilogy by Emerson, Lake & Palmer *New CD* US $6.86 Buy It Now 14h 26m
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man Live CD US $4.84 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ... Love Beach ... 33rpm LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
Emerson Lake & Palmer 'Works - Volume 2' Cassette Album (Reissue) US $0.79 [0 bids]
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER-IN THE HOT SEAT +1-JAPAN MINI LP HQCD G00 US $28.99 Buy It Now 15h 5m
Emerson Lake & Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery-Original Recordings/Castle 2-180 GRAM US $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 16m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER Fanfare: the 1997 World Tour CD ALBUM EXC US $4.82 Buy It Now 15h 48m
The Return of the Manticore [Box] by Emerson, Lake & Palmer 4 CDS BOOKLET US $18.00 [0 bids]
THE NICE ~ THOUGHTS ~VERY RARE HAND SIGNED MONO UK LP 1967 ~ EMERSON LAKE PALMER US $1,209.83 Buy It Now 16h 16m
Peter Frampton Crosby Stills Nash Steve Miller Band Emerson Lake Palmer US $9.50 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - TRILOGY NEW CD US $24.61 Buy It Now 16h 49m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - BEST OF NEW CD US $15.25 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Emerson Lake & Palmer -Welcome Back My Friends Part 1 QUAD 8-TRACK quadraphonic US $69.99 [0 bids]
THE ESSENTIAL EMERSON LAKE & PALMER on 2 CD's - BRAND NEW US $14.82 Buy It Now 17h 52m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER: Self Titled LP MANTICORE RECORDS 87224ET Germany NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 57m
Emerson Lake & Palmer, Tarkus Audio CD US $10.19 Buy It Now 18h 13m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ~BRAIN SALAD SURGERY~ M/NM~ JAPAN Made CD ~RARE~ 1st PRESS US $59.95 Buy It Now 18h 20m
the BEST of EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER ~WEST GERMAN IMPORT~ TARGET CD RARE ~ MINT US $49.95 Buy It Now 18h 34m
Best Emerson Lake Palmer Vinyl Album Vintage Record LP Ariola Germany Vg US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 44m
Emerson Lake & Palmer LP Manticore Records, 1973, MC 66669, Brain Salad Surgery US $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 48m
Emerson Lake & Palmer "Works-Volume 1" 1977 US $7.99 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER: C'est La Vie/Jeremy Bender (rock vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 19h 4m
Emerson Lake & Palmer Works Vol.1&2 8 Tracks Tested!!!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 19h 14m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER - 3 VINYL LP ALBUMS US $15.00 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER ESSENTIAL 2 CD NEW US $11.41 Buy It Now 19h 37m
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER--------TRILOGY 33 RPM US $5.30 [0 bids]
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER: Tarkus (rock VG+ vinyl LP SD-9900 CANADA) US $18.00 Buy It Now 19h 51m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER: In Concert (rock NM vinyl LP QSD-19255) US $23.00 Buy It Now 19h 53m
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER: Pictures At An Exhibition (rock VG++ vinyl LP ELP-66666) US $25.00 Buy It Now 19h 53m
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Works I 2LP NM-/VG+ Lyrics Gatefold SD-7000 Pics US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 54m
Works by Emerson Lake & Palmer, Double Album (Vinyl, Atlantic SD-2-7000, 1977) US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE BEST OF EMERSON LAKE & PALMER US $16.99 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Emerson Lake & Palmer UK 3 LP SET Manticore AORL 38425 UK Vinyl LP US $75.00 Buy It Now 20h 21m
Live at the Royal Albert Hall by Emerson, Lake & Palmer CD looks GREAT US $4.00 [0 bids]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Pictures at an Exhibition Album US $1.99 [0 bids]
ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer: 10 Japan Mini Lp CD + Tarkus drawer box US $354.85 [0 bids]
ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer: 3 Japan mini-lp cd + Black Moon promo box US $110.89 [0 bids]
the best of emerson lake & palmer record US $1.99 [0 bids]
tarkus emerson lake & palmer record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Gold by Asia/2 cd new/36 trks/ELP/King Crimson/YES/Emerson Lake Palmer US $13.99 Buy It Now 21h 17m

More places to buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER music online Buy EMERSON LAKE & PALMER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EMERSON LAKE & PALMER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer ratings distribution

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer reviews

Review by clarke2001
3 stars For the sake of the accuracy: the full, official name of this compilation is "Fanfare: The Best Of Emerson Lake And Palmer - Live". It's on of the dozen live compilations published so far. What can I say about this one? It's always tricky to rate the compilations. Die hard-fans are usually looking for previously unreleased songs, takes, unusual live versions, songs that are rarely performed live, bootlegs etc. Newcomers will look for some "Best of" type of compilations, something more approachable. Perhaps no compilation could be that bad not to be a good introduction.

So, what was the purpose of this one, except for earning extra money on band's and publisher's account? According to Mr. Joey Webb's foreword in the inner sleeve (I guess he was the compilation editor), "(This compilation is) a good cherry-picking of the early ELP catalogue, taking highlights from their early albums, such as their eponymous debut, and it's follow-up, "Tarkus", and taking in chunks of "Brain Salad Surgery". Topped and tailed by two Aaron Copland pieces (...), makes a suitably high-stepping end to a punchy live distillation of their many peaks."

(taken from compilation's inner sleeve, Joey Webb, April 2003, with minor shortenings)

Well, is it a cherry-picking or a prune?

The compilation consists of twelve tracks: Copland's "Fanfare" and "Hoedown", two Tarkus' pieces - "A Time And A Place" and "Bitches Crystal"; and "Knife Edge", "Honky Tonk Train Blues" and "From The Beginning"- they were all recorded on '97/'98 tour. The rest of the tracks - "Karn Evil 9" , two unavoidable acoustic ballads, and continuous float of "Piano Improvisations" and "Take A Pebble" were recorded at concert in California in 1974.

"Fanfare For The Common Man" is...well...common opener for a concert. Correctly performed, ELP's new digitalized sound, no prolonged solos. Forgettable. Compilation continues in much better manner, with "Karn Evil 9", but the first thing you'll notice is that the sound is not perfect. It's somewhat distant, echoey, like from a barrel. After a second or two you will realise that carnival started without Pt. 1 of the "First Impression"! It goes straight-to your-face with the "Welcome back..." lyrics of a known hit and proceeds with the entire epic (except for few truncated parts, such are some nice piano jazzy parts and calypso-steel drum section).No, wait a second. There is no Second Impression at all! Although it is listed on CD. The same applies for this track as for a "Tarkus" track on their "Live At The Royal Albert Hall": is neither here nor there. It's not just a brief excerpt, but it is not a magnificent piece in it's full entirety neither. However, musicians here are in the top form, performance is outstanding. Palmer's drum solo is VERY long, spectacular, but boring. Okay, maybe that's just me, I don't love drum solos of any kind. I guess it wouldn't be boring if one is able to see Palmer's revolving drum-set and his pulling of bell's chords with his teeth, because his hands were way too busy raping the gongs. Of course, there's a lack of visual experience with a CD. The other, maybe trivial thing worth mentioning is the very end of the epic. It's ending with programmed sequence that is speeding up, and in this performance Keith pulled out the fast possible speed from the sequencer, I think above 1000 Hz! (you can't count hundreds of beats-per-minute anymore!) Painful for the ears and literally brain-damaging (salad surgery?).

"A Time And A Place" is one of those rare 70's songs that actually sounds good with modern, digital sounds. The only annoying thing, really annoying, is Lake's way of singing. Okay, his voice changed, I can accept that. But his tension to improvise all the known vocal melodies and to sing in pentatonic scales is really obnoxious. He is killing all the magic much more efficient than Emerson's digital strings are: the song that should sound nasty sounds like a blues ballad. This is present not only in this particular song or on this particular compilation, it's a ubiquitous fact in the ELP's comeback-career in a whole. I remember how excited I was when I heard this song for the first time. So raging! Reminded me of THE BEATLES' screams in "Helter Skelter". But that magic is gone for good. Anyway, I you can digest Lake's new way of singing, the rest is well-done, cleverly rearranged song.

Everything that I said for "A Time And Place" could apply for another Tarkus' gem, "Bitches Crystal". Only the new digital arrangements are less present because song is played mostly on piano.

I guess that we, average ELP-fans are forced to listen to the two best-known Lake's acoustic ballads over and over again. Indeed, "Still...You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man" are present on almost every compilation, live or in studio, from 70's until today. Someone get me a ladder! Surprisingly, these two are not so bad, they actually sound quite nice. Especially "Lucky Man" sounds very folkish. Lake wasn't singing pentatonic scales yet.

Mr. Emerson's piano improvisations are always astonishing, despite the fact that he's always repeating the same patterns through the stones of years. This one is including "Fugue" excerpt (bravo!) and "Little Rock Getaway" that I can stand anymore. Of course, piano solo floats into the "Take And Pebble", a very emotional performance from the trio, Emerson playing without being clumsy.

After the romantic piano melodies, the compilation is taking us back to the nineties and to the digital soundscapes again; this time with the "Knife Edge", overall not bad performance but with the little bit annoying arrangements. After that, band successfully manages to squeeze out all the sense of the "Honky Tonk Train Blues". It sounds like an average rubbish blues, not the Lewis' blues masterpiece comparable to geniuses such are Mussorgsky and Ginastera. Lewis' revolutionary interpretation of locomotive sounds inside the blues pattern is simply not working here. Pity. Well, after the worst, things can only get better and I dare to say the highlights are the two last songs: "From The Beginning", beautiful semi-acoustic ballad, to often overlooked by the band-members themselves. It's lacking loveliest electric guitar arrangements in the entire ELP's career, but features lovely prolonged keyboard solo.

The compilation closes with 90's performance of "Hoedown". If you think it's an outstanding performance, believe me it's not, actually this the worst Emerson's live performance. Keith played very clumsy the vivid country solo in the first part of the song : skipping fast sixteenth notes, hitting the wrong keys, terrible. However, I like this one the most because band sounds so sincere, like they were enjoying, not only doing their contractual obligations. As song goes, it gets much better; the keyboards are howling and squealing under Keith's fingers, utilising on of the best sample-and-hold featured works here (randomly modulated sound timbre, the best example is that bleep-burp-buzzing sound at the beginning of the First Impression Pt. 2). Again, visual component is missing and it's really hard to say is Keith raping the keyboards, leaning on them, stabbing them with knives or simply pressing one key and letting the digital technology to do the job. Even if the last one is the case, I'm saluting Keith and especially his sound technician, Will Alexander, because of the extraordinary good job done on programming the patches. I'm able to fully appreciate this because I'm a keyboard player, but I'm often wondering how many things I'm not able to appreciate simply because I don't understand the matter. I think Emerson, Lake and Palmer are three geniuses, but there must be something above, so to say. Some of my friends, who are classically trained musicians are telling me the things about ELP's music that I am not able to fully understand, and I am not a newcomer in music area. I guess most of us (including me) are able to see only the top of the iceberg.

Overall impression: this compilation is a mixture of brilliant highlights and terrible disasters, with some average moments thrown in. The set of the tracks is not bat itself, but the performances should have been chosen better. Design of the CD is nothing to die for, when you open the case you'll see the foreword printed upside-down - the details are printed in a form of the poster bended in quarters rather than a booklet. Pictures of the band itself are not very spectacular.

And the worst thing about this compilation is:all of these tracks are published before! On the same CD!! Check "Then And Now". So I guess this is some sort of a poor man's compilation, no matter if the listener is a newcomer or a fan. A nice little document, but the purpose is questionable. Considering all the "pros" and "cons", I'm rating it with 2,5 stars.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#99201) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 17, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Nothing new here

"The best of Emerson Lake and Palmer live" contains only selected tracks from the 1998 album "Then and now". The rather ambiguous title does not mean that these are the best live recordings but that the tracks are, in the compiler's view, ELP's best songs.

The track selections and sequencing are both sloppy and haphazard. Five of the tracks are from the 1974 Cal Jam concert, the rest are from 1997/8. They are however mixed together with no discernible logic. There are two flaws in this. Firstly, the 1974 recordings are of bootleg quality, while those from 1997/8 are of a high quality. Secondly, Lake's voice changed so much in the intervening period, that it sounds like there are two different lead vocalists at work here.

The 1974 recordings are actually just taken from two tracks. "Karn evil 9's" first (part 2 only) and third impressions are joined together, while the "Take a pebble" medley incorporates several other Lake songs plus Emerson's Piano improvisations.

All the other tracks are from the comparatively recent recordings. All the longer tracks from these recordings are however ruthlessly omitted, leaving only the short, generally lighter numbers such as "Hoedown", "Knife edge", and "From the beginning".

In short, go for the infinitely superior "Then and now", and you'll get everything here, plus a whole lot more.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#115068) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2007

1 stars The worst ELP album I ever bought! The sound is muffled and the live recordings are some of the most horrible recordings I've heard. My 1974 vinal record of "Welcome Back My Friends..." sounds way better than this CD! Invest in one of the studio recordings and you will be much happier. ... (read more)

Report this review (#18920) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EMERSON LAKE & PALMER "The Best Of Emerson Lake & Palmer "