WINDOW TO THE SOUL

GPS

GPS Window to the Soul album cover

Buy GPS Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Window To The Soul (6:57)
2. New Jerusalem (8:26)
3. Heaven Can Wait (8:03)
4. Written On The Wind (6:54)
5. I Believe In Yesterday (7:15)
6. The Objector (6:19)
7. All My Life (5:28)
8. Gold (5:01)
9. Since You've Been Gone (4:55)
10.Taken Dreams (4:56)

Guthrie Govan / Guitars
Ryo Okumoto / Keyboards

SPV 48852 CD
Released in the US on Inside Out U.S. IOMCD 247

GPS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GPS Window to the Soul Music

Window to the SoulWindow to the Soul
InsideOut Music America 2006

More places to buy GPS music online Buy GPS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GPS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GPS Window to the Soul ratings distribution

GPS Window to the Soul reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Good Prog Super-group

I feel a little bit sorry for John Payne. After having served as the frontman of Asia for some 14 years and recorded five studio albums with that band (for which he co-wrote much of the material), he was dumped to give way to the reunion of the four original members (John Wetton, Steve Howe, Carl Palmer, and Geoff Downes). After that Payne formed a little super- group of his own together with two other ex-Asia members in guitarist Guthrie Govan and drummer Jay Schellen, and keyboardist Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard fame. This became GPS (for "Govan, Payne and Schellen", I suppose?)

Window To The Soul was the new band's first release and it comes across as a more progressive version of Payne-era Asia. The final Asia album featuring Payne, Silent Nation, already showed signs of a more progressive direction on several songs, but GPS takes this a little further. More space is allowed for instrumental work-outs and Govan and Okumoto shine on tracks like the eight minute plus New Jerusalem and the title track. The material is strong and melodic, the production values are high, there is a nice balance between rockers and ballads, and the musicians involved are highly professional. I get the feeling that they were more at liberty to do what they really wanted here, not being constrained by the Asia-name and the expectations that brought with it. I am certain that GPS will appeal more to Prog fans than Asia's output, but the difference from Asia is still primarily one of degree, not in kind. If you hate everything Asia ever did, I doubt that this would win you over.

John Payne is an overlooked singer, from an overlooked period of Asia's long career. Sadly, GPS's Window To The Soul is similarly overlooked. I am surprised to see that I am the first to review this album. I hesitated between three and four stars, but after having heard the album repeatedly over several days I conclude that it has a staying power deserving of a higher rating. Admittedly, not all the songs are great (Since You've Been Gone is as generic as its title indicates), but the few weaker moments are somehow better disguised here than on most Asia albums.

The latest news has it that there is a new studio album in the making that will be released under the name "ASIA featuring John Payne" and include Erik Norlander on keyboards. I suppose that is the end of GPS, but hopefully the Prog-spirit present on Window To The Soul will be carried over into that version of Asia and thus outshine the original line-up's recent works (like the dull Omega).

If you like Payne-era Asia, and desire a Prog-touch, GPS's Window To The Soul is for you

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#754289) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars After reading South Side Of the Sky┬┤s review of this album I went looking for this CD. After all, I liked Asia with John Payne and the prospect of an album with such great musicians as two former Asia members (guitarrist Guthrie Govan and drummer Jay Schellen) and with the participation of Spock┬┤s Beard keybordist Ryo Okumoto, promised great things. And I was not disappointed. In fact, apart from a couple of Okumoto┬┤s synth solos (more on the fusion side), Window to The Soul could be easily mistaken for a long lost Asia record. And a very good one by the way! In fact, I┬┤d put it shoulder to shoulder with Payne┬┤s best efford with that group (Silent Nation).

All tracks are good, the production is excellent and the band is really smoking. I really don┬┤t understand why PA labeled it as neo prog. There is nothing like that here. What we have is the usual AOR/melodic rock with a few prog hints here and there, played by skillful musicians and sang with passion and conviction by Payne. Prog related would be much more fitting, I guess. So I┬┤m warning you: if you┬┤re looking for neo prog stuff, forget it. On the other hand, if you like catchy, melodic tunes with great hooks, jump on it! Maybe the best feature on Window To The Soul are the strong compositions, with not a single weak track on the entire CD. Best songs: New Jerusalem, Heaven Can Wait and Written On the Wind.

Rating: if this was an AOR/melodic rock site, Window To The Soul would be a five star CD. Since PA is not and there is so little prog on the album, I can┬┤t do it. However, due to the high quality of the songs, the excellent perfomances and the brilliant production, a less than 4 star rating would be unfair. Definitly recommended to any Asia or melodic rock fan. Like the previous reviewer said, GPS should not be overlooked. A very good surprise.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#754711) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars As far as Asia concern, I do not actually pay attention about their albums after the original member was just Geoff Downes. But when I had this GPS album for the first time it blew me away at first spin especially with its rocking opening track 'Window To The Soul' (6:57) which demonstrates excellent vocal and stunning guitar work. Combined with Spock's Beard's keyboard player this track sounds even better. The second track 'New Jerusalem' (8:26) even has much better composition in terms of complexity as well as melody. The second track sounds really prog with inventive keyboard as well as stunning guitar. Oh wait ... John Payne vocal is also powerful and I really like when he sings here at second track. The third track 'Heaven Can Wait' (8:03) is quite tricky as at first part the music sounds like a slow rock style with simple composition. But as the music rolls there are great transition pieces and interlude with complex structure even though it returns back to mellow style through excellent work of Ryo on keyboard.

I dare to say that in terms of composition, the music of GPS is much better than any album that Asia has ever released as most of Asia albums are AOR or straight rock music. GPS is different; they explore their musical skills into areas where Asia has never entered into it. In fact this album by GPS provides Howe-standard guitar playing in Asia context. Look at the track where it starts with acoustic guitar fills in 'Written On The Wind' (6:54). AT first listen it reminds me to Michael Schenker's MSG kind of music - but it's actually different as the music moves to the next segments.

Overall, I find this album by GPS is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Off course this album is not as complex as Yes or ELP but for sure it's more complex and attractive than Asia in general. Through this excellent album Payne seems like prove himself to Downes that he can form a band better than Asia. I'm satisfied with this album, really. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#882707) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 27, 2012

2 stars GPS A name to be well placed. But are they really in the right position? Sorry i think in this album I find a total disorientation of the band. First 3 or 4 songs quite good in a good neo prog related rock ...and reminds me the best albums of Asia with John Payne like Arena ...but the ... (read more)

Report this review (#761583) | Posted by robbob | Friday, June 01, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GPS "Window to the Soul"