WINDOW TO THE SOUL

GPS

GPS Window to the Soul album cover

Buy GPS Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Window To The Soul (6:57)
2. New Jerusalem (8:26)
3. Heaven Can Wait (8:03)
4. Written On The Wind (6:54)
5. I Believe In Yesterday (7:15)
6. The Objector (6:19)
7. All My Life (5:28)
8. Gold (5:01)
9. Since You've Been Gone (4:55)
10.Taken Dreams (4:56)

Guthrie Govan / Guitars
Ryo Okumoto / Keyboards

SPV 48852 CD
Released in the US on Inside Out U.S. IOMCD 247

GPS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GPS Window to the Soul Music

Saturday Rolling AroundSaturday Rolling Around
Extra tracks · Import
Talking Elephant 2006
Audio CD$19.99 (used)
LIVE IN JAPAN 2007(2CD+DVD)LIVE IN JAPAN 2007(2CD+DVD)
DIW Records (JAPAN)
SYLVESTER ANFANG 11 JOHN CHANGS KOSMISCHE HAND GPS 7'' VINYL US $11.34 Buy It Now 11h 7m
GINETTE RENO A LA COMEDIE CANADIENNE - LP US $13.99 [0 bids]
SOUTH PACIFIC Stereo-orthophonic 1958 Recording RCA Victor GPS-109 Soundtrack US $10.04 [0 bids]
GPS - Window to the Soul NEW CD Sealed Russian Edition US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ginette Reno A la ComÚdie Canadienne '69 VG++ Grand Prix GPS 3304 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
GPS "Window to the Soul" CD (Inside Out Music, 2008) Guthrie Govan *Free Shippin US $21.89 Buy It Now 4 days
CHANTAL PARY: Self Titled (Quebec Grand Prix GPS-600 Vinyl VG+ LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SUCCES GRAND PRIX, LES: Various Artists (Quebec Grand Prix GPS-4002 Vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
GPS - WINDOW TO THE SOUL [GPS] - NEW CD US $21.63 Buy It Now 5 days
THE SEE SEE / BY THE SEA: SPLIT 7" THE GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT / GPS69 / NEW US $9.71 Buy It Now 6 days
NEW - GPS: God's Plan of Salvation US $4.98 Buy It Now 8 days
Gps - Two Seasons: Live In Japan Volume One(2cd+dvd) NEW 2 x CD US $28.65 Buy It Now 10 days
Alabina Corvallis March II Hand Held GPS/Data Co CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Glenn Branca / John Giorno ?"Who You Staring At?" GPS 025 (1982) 12" LP NM Cond. US $39.97 Buy It Now 11 days
Reel to Reel Tape 2 Track RCA GPS-109: South Pacific ~ Rodgers & Hammerstein US $45.63 Buy It Now 11 days
Dr Rubberfunk - "My Life At 33 Remixes" 12" EP 2007 UK GPS Recordings 009 VG++ US $13.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Two Sunsets: Katy Komatsu 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS108 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
Cam Deas: Untitled Blues 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS45 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
Trwbador: Mountain 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS99 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
High Wolf / Kunlun 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS97 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
CWK Joynes: Selection Vol IV 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS92 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
The See See: Featherman 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS109 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
Violet Woods: Raw Love 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS91 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
Savaging Spires: Bending the rules 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS74 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
Snails: She'd like an hour 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS73 US $9.71 Buy It Now 12 days
Sylvester Anfang II: John Changs 7" NEW GREAT POP SUPPLEMENT GPS93 US $16.20 Buy It Now 12 days
GPS - TWO SEASONS: LIVE IN JAPAN 2 - BONUS DVD NEW CD US $34.17 Buy It Now 12 days
Gps - Two Seasons Live In Japan Volume Two [CD New] US $29.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Unknown Artist GPS: Gods Plan of Salvation CD US $8.47 Buy It Now 13 days
Saturday Rolling Around - Gps CD 1998 Richard Thompson US $25.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SEALED MUSIC OF AMERICA Tribute BICENTENNIAL GPS Lp RECORD US $20.00 Buy It Now 14 days
New Order - Regret + Spooky (Vinyl "Republic" singles lot) US Qwest 1993 GPS US $28.99 Buy It Now 15 days
HEAR IT BEACH Good Pure and Simple GPS 45 School Is Out US $16.20 Buy It Now 16 days
Dr Rubberfunk Step On It 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK GPS002 GPS 2002 US $12.63 Buy It Now 16 days
WINDY & CARL ?CALLIOPE The Great Pop Supplement ?GPS105 45 NM US $7.30 Buy It Now 16 days
GPS - TWO SEASONS: LIVE IN JAPAN VOLUME ONE(2CD+DVD) - HST083DVD US $30.25 Buy It Now 17 days
VA -You're The Guy I Want To Share My Money With -GPS 2LP William S. Burroughs US $18.50 Buy It Now 18 days
Two Seasons: Live in Japan 1 Gps CD US $16.38 Buy It Now 18 days
Gps - Two Seasons: Live In Japan Volume One (NEW 2CD+DVD) US $29.18 Buy It Now 18 days
MARY BLACK adam at the window 7" b/w carolina rua (gps2) fold out calendar pic s US $8.09 Buy It Now 18 days
ROBERT BOB MARTIN you are my friend 7" b/w song is for you (gps8401) us outsound US $8.09 Buy It Now 18 days
Gps:two Seasons Live in Japan Vol 1 - DVD Region 1 Brand New Free Shipping US $26.79 Buy It Now 19 days
Two Seasons: Live in Japan 1 [Bonus DVD] by GPS (DVD, Oct-2012, 3 Discs, Gonzo) US $14.79 Buy It Now 19 days
GPS - TWO SEASONS: LIVE IN JAPAN 1 [BONUS DVD] [REGION FREE] NEW DVD BOXSET US $16.39 Buy It Now 20 days
Mary Black The Moon And St Christopher 7" vinyl single record UK GPS5 US $15.31 Buy It Now 20 days
Dr. Rubberfunk - "The Owner" 12" EP 2004 UK GPS Recordings 005 VG++ Electronic US $9.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Gps Vol. 1-Two Seasons: Live In Japan DVD US $23.50 Buy It Now 20 days
Two Seasons: Live in Japan 1 [Bonus DVD] by GPS (DVD, Oct-2012, 3 Discs, Gonzo) US $16.48 Buy It Now 20 days
Gps 4 Life - Sword,H.I. New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $17.23 Buy It Now 21 days
Better An Old Demon Than A New God 12" LP on Giorno Poetry GPS 033 Plays EX++ US $24.33 Buy It Now 22 days
Rare Psych Silver Children Of The Lord LP NM PROMO Grammi Fonics GPS 8322 US $34.99 Buy It Now 22 days
GPS -"Window To The Soul" CD 2006 1st GERMAN PROMO + BIO ORIG (Inside Out Music) US $22.88 Buy It Now 23 days
The GPs : Saturday Rolling Around CD (2008) US $13.43 Buy It Now 23 days
SPECTRUM Tim 'Love' Lee Captain Memphis ?- Words May 7" NM/NM GPS54 US $19.46 Buy It Now 23 days
GPS - TWO SEASONS: LIVE IN JAPAN 1 - BONUS DVD NEW CD US $27.15 Buy It Now 24 days
Gps - Window To The Soul (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $13.28 Buy It Now 24 days
Gps : Saturday Rolling CD US $2.06 Buy It Now 25 days
H.I. Sword - Gps 4 Life [CD New] US $10.39 Buy It Now 26 days
Corvallis March II Hand Held GPS/Data Co Corvallis March II Hand Held GPS/Data US $22.70 Buy It Now 27 days
Electronic ?- Feel Every Beat Remixes (Vinyl single) / GPS / Fast Shipping US $18.98 Buy It Now 28 days
Edge Harmonics & Ancronix - GPS / Clockwize 12" US $10.14 Buy It Now 29 days
GPS: Two Seasons - Live in Japan Volume 2 - CD-JEWEL CASE Region 1 Brand New Fre US $32.71 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy GPS music online Buy GPS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GPS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GPS Window to the Soul ratings distribution

GPS Window to the Soul reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Good Prog Super-group

I feel a little bit sorry for John Payne. After having served as the frontman of Asia for some 14 years and recorded five studio albums with that band (for which he co-wrote much of the material), he was dumped to give way to the reunion of the four original members (John Wetton, Steve Howe, Carl Palmer, and Geoff Downes). After that Payne formed a little super- group of his own together with two other ex-Asia members in guitarist Guthrie Govan and drummer Jay Schellen, and keyboardist Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard fame. This became GPS (for "Govan, Payne and Schellen", I suppose?)

Window To The Soul was the new band's first release and it comes across as a more progressive version of Payne-era Asia. The final Asia album featuring Payne, Silent Nation, already showed signs of a more progressive direction on several songs, but GPS takes this a little further. More space is allowed for instrumental work-outs and Govan and Okumoto shine on tracks like the eight minute plus New Jerusalem and the title track. The material is strong and melodic, the production values are high, there is a nice balance between rockers and ballads, and the musicians involved are highly professional. I get the feeling that they were more at liberty to do what they really wanted here, not being constrained by the Asia-name and the expectations that brought with it. I am certain that GPS will appeal more to Prog fans than Asia's output, but the difference from Asia is still primarily one of degree, not in kind. If you hate everything Asia ever did, I doubt that this would win you over.

John Payne is an overlooked singer, from an overlooked period of Asia's long career. Sadly, GPS's Window To The Soul is similarly overlooked. I am surprised to see that I am the first to review this album. I hesitated between three and four stars, but after having heard the album repeatedly over several days I conclude that it has a staying power deserving of a higher rating. Admittedly, not all the songs are great (Since You've Been Gone is as generic as its title indicates), but the few weaker moments are somehow better disguised here than on most Asia albums.

The latest news has it that there is a new studio album in the making that will be released under the name "ASIA featuring John Payne" and include Erik Norlander on keyboards. I suppose that is the end of GPS, but hopefully the Prog-spirit present on Window To The Soul will be carried over into that version of Asia and thus outshine the original line-up's recent works (like the dull Omega).

If you like Payne-era Asia, and desire a Prog-touch, GPS's Window To The Soul is for you

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#754289) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars After reading South Side Of the Sky┬┤s review of this album I went looking for this CD. After all, I liked Asia with John Payne and the prospect of an album with such great musicians as two former Asia members (guitarrist Guthrie Govan and drummer Jay Schellen) and with the participation of Spock┬┤s Beard keybordist Ryo Okumoto, promised great things. And I was not disappointed. In fact, apart from a couple of Okumoto┬┤s synth solos (more on the fusion side), Window to The Soul could be easily mistaken for a long lost Asia record. And a very good one by the way! In fact, I┬┤d put it shoulder to shoulder with Payne┬┤s best efford with that group (Silent Nation).

All tracks are good, the production is excellent and the band is really smoking. I really don┬┤t understand why PA labeled it as neo prog. There is nothing like that here. What we have is the usual AOR/melodic rock with a few prog hints here and there, played by skillful musicians and sang with passion and conviction by Payne. Prog related would be much more fitting, I guess. So I┬┤m warning you: if you┬┤re looking for neo prog stuff, forget it. On the other hand, if you like catchy, melodic tunes with great hooks, jump on it! Maybe the best feature on Window To The Soul are the strong compositions, with not a single weak track on the entire CD. Best songs: New Jerusalem, Heaven Can Wait and Written On the Wind.

Rating: if this was an AOR/melodic rock site, Window To The Soul would be a five star CD. Since PA is not and there is so little prog on the album, I can┬┤t do it. However, due to the high quality of the songs, the excellent perfomances and the brilliant production, a less than 4 star rating would be unfair. Definitly recommended to any Asia or melodic rock fan. Like the previous reviewer said, GPS should not be overlooked. A very good surprise.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#754711) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012

Review by Gatot
4 stars As far as Asia concern, I do not actually pay attention about their albums after the original member was just Geoff Downes. But when I had this GPS album for the first time it blew me away at first spin especially with its rocking opening track 'Window To The Soul' (6:57) which demonstrates excellent vocal and stunning guitar work. Combined with Spock's Beard's keyboard player this track sounds even better. The second track 'New Jerusalem' (8:26) even has much better composition in terms of complexity as well as melody. The second track sounds really prog with inventive keyboard as well as stunning guitar. Oh wait ... John Payne vocal is also powerful and I really like when he sings here at second track. The third track 'Heaven Can Wait' (8:03) is quite tricky as at first part the music sounds like a slow rock style with simple composition. But as the music rolls there are great transition pieces and interlude with complex structure even though it returns back to mellow style through excellent work of Ryo on keyboard.

I dare to say that in terms of composition, the music of GPS is much better than any album that Asia has ever released as most of Asia albums are AOR or straight rock music. GPS is different; they explore their musical skills into areas where Asia has never entered into it. In fact this album by GPS provides Howe-standard guitar playing in Asia context. Look at the track where it starts with acoustic guitar fills in 'Written On The Wind' (6:54). AT first listen it reminds me to Michael Schenker's MSG kind of music - but it's actually different as the music moves to the next segments.

Overall, I find this album by GPS is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Off course this album is not as complex as Yes or ELP but for sure it's more complex and attractive than Asia in general. Through this excellent album Payne seems like prove himself to Downes that he can form a band better than Asia. I'm satisfied with this album, really. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#882707) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 27, 2012

2 stars GPS A name to be well placed. But are they really in the right position? Sorry i think in this album I find a total disorientation of the band. First 3 or 4 songs quite good in a good neo prog related rock ...and reminds me the best albums of Asia with John Payne like Arena ...but the ... (read more)

Report this review (#761583) | Posted by robbob | Friday, June 01, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GPS "Window to the Soul"