I - WITHIN DEEP DARK CHAMBERS

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Shining I - Within Deep Dark Chambers album cover

Buy SHINING Music
Studio Album, released in 2000

1. Reflecting In Solitude (8:46)
2. Stonelands (8:58)
3. Vita Detestabilis (6:48)
4. Ren Djävla Angest (7:38)
5. Inisis (8:12)
6. And Only Silence Remains... (10:55)

Bonus tracks:
"Vargtimmen" (Hour of the Wolf) (3:21) (Bethlehem cover) (available on the
Osmose re-release)
"Endless Solitude" (6:32) (available on the Modern Invasion re-release)

Search SHINING I - Within Deep Dark Chambers lyrics

Search SHINING I - Within Deep Dark Chambers tabs

- Niklas Kvarforth / Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards
- Andreas Classen / Vocals
- Tusk / Bass
- Ted Wedebrand / Drums

Full-length, Selbstmord Services, 2000
First LP pressing was limited to 237 copies.

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

SHINING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SHINING I - Within Deep Dark Chambers Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Redefining DarknessRedefining Darkness
III AngstIII Angst
101 DISTRIBUTION 2008
BlackjazzBlackjazz
Indie Recordings/Red 2010

More places to buy SHINING music online Buy SHINING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SHINING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SHINING I - Within Deep Dark Chambers ratings distribution

SHINING I - Within Deep Dark Chambers reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars I - Within Deep Dark Chambers is the debut full-length studio album by Swedish experimental/ progressive black metal act Shining. The album has been released on both CD and LP. The first pressing of the LP version was limited to only 237 copies. Needles to say it´s a very rare release in that version. Shining made a very intriguing 7´EP release called Submit to Selfdestruction in 1998 and I´ve been pretty excited about how I - Within Deep Dark Chambers would sound.

The music on the album is atmospheric/ melancholic black metal. It´s quite repetitive in nature but never boring. The pace varies from slow to fast. The vocals are raspy and the instrumentation consists of drums, guitars, bass and keyboards. The songs are both heavy and very atmospheric. The songs are all quality compositions but not really outstanding IMO. If I have to complain about something it´s that the musicianship isn´t all that tight. Especially the drums seem untight at times. The production is raw and a bit primitive too and it will depend on your taste if you find this charming or a problem. I noticed that Ren Djävla Angest is a rewritten version of Endless Solitude from Submit to Selfdestruction. It´s also the first song in the band´s discography were the lyrics are in the Swedish language. Something Shining would investigate further on subsequent albums. The six songs on the album are all pretty long with playing times between 6 and 10 minutes.

I - Within Deep Dark Chambers is a good debut album by Shining and while it doesn´t exactly make my blood boil, there are nods toward future greatness that can´t be ignored. A 3 star rating is well deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#263648) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 31, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'I - Within Deep Dark Chambers' - Shining (4/10)

Here is the debut album, by the self-proclaimed suicidal black metal band Shining. Although I certainly prefer the band's later, more complex and experimental material, I've generally found that I can muster appreciation for just about any angle the realm of black metal has been able to throw at me. This is not to suggest that I have liked everything I have heard though, only that I am fairly indiscriminate when it comes to particular takes on the style. Shining was already established in my mind as being a great band by the time I found my way to listening to their debut 'Within Deep Dark Chambers', and with a 2011 re-release impending, there was no better time to check out this classic of depressive black metal than now. While I have found some easy favourites in this particularly introspective and dismal black metal scene, Shining's debut sadly fails to inspire me or my emotions in any major way, instead coming across to me as a rather generic piece of Scandinavian black metal.

Like much of the rawer black metal, the music Shining makes here on 'Within Deep Dark Chambers' is particularly repetitive, taking simple riffs and using them sometimes throughout the course of an entire song, changing things up here and there to keep it from being a total bore. Save for a few softer moments- which almost always come as a refreshment- the blastbeats are in full swing here, recorded no less in the sort of way someone might typically expect raw black metal to be recorded. The music and riffs are never really beautiful, but are certainly depressive; the endless repetition and generic nature of the record tends to wear thin before long.

Towards the end of the record, things do start to pick up, even ending on a higher note with a cover of dark metal pioneers Bethlehem, which is a pleasant exchange to cap off the album. Raw black metal certainly has its place, but Shining does little here to really inspire the imagination, although it is certainly not a complete failure. There is not much to grasp onto here so for anyone but fans of the less refined black metal sound, I would instead recommend the sort of things Shining has crafted later in their career.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#441375) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 01, 2011

Post a review of SHINING "I - Within Deep Dark Chambers"