LORD CROMWELL (PLAYS SUITE FOR SEVEN VICES)

Opus Avantra

RIO/Avant-Prog

Opus Avantra Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy OPUS AVANTRA Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Flowers on Pride (5:29)
2. Avarice (5:26)
8. Sloth (4:32)
9. Allemanda (3:03)

Search OPUS AVANTRA Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) lyrics

Search OPUS AVANTRA Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) tabs

- Alfredo Tisotto / Steinway and Fender piano, Hammond, synthesizer and Pipe organ
- Luciano Travella / flute
- Paulo Siani / percussion, drums
- Gina Bianco, Susan Worshap, Cindy Brasher, Carl Adams / vocals
- American Chorus Setaf

Suono (SRLP 1002)

OPUS AVANTRA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OPUS AVANTRA Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) Music

Live Concerts ExcerptsLive Concerts Excerpts
Akarma
Lord CromwellLord Cromwell
Cramps Records Imp 2011
Introspezione - Donella Del Monaco (LP Miniature)Introspezione - Donella Del Monaco (LP Miniature)
Media Arte Kr
OmegaOmega
Akarma 2003
Audio CD$39.00 (used)
Lord Cromwell -Plays Suite for Seven VicLord Cromwell -Plays Suite for Seven Vic
Extra tracks · Import
Import · Remastered
IntrospezioneIntrospezione
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Polydor Japan 2007
Opus Avantra-Donella del Monaco CD Japan w/OBI KICP7046 US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
OPUS AVANTRA - INTROSPEZIONE [OPUS AVANTRA] - NEW CD US $17.17 Buy It Now 12h 34m
OPUS AVANTRA omega BOX 4 CD italian prog US $69.90 Buy It Now 14h 53m
ELECTRIC FRANKENSTEIN/ARTI & MESTIERI/OPUS AVANTRA NEW CD US $194.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Cramps Single Box - Electric Frankenstein/Arti & Mestieri/Opus Avantra [CD New] US $161.80 Buy It Now 2 days
ALFREDO TISOCCO ferrofania JAPAN mini lp CD OPUS AVANTRA SEALED US $26.49 [0 bids]
ALFREDO TISOCCO ferrofani JAPAN mini lp CD OPUS AVANTRA US $13.99 [0 bids]
OPUS AVANTRA Live Concerts Excerpts JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPUS AVANTRA LYRICS RARE OOP CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPUS AVANTRA PROMO BOX + 5 JAPAN MINI LP CD RARE OOP US $199.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPUS AVANTRA STRATA RARE OOP MINI-LP CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPUS AVANTRA KATHARSIS RARE OOP MINI-LP CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPUS AVANTRA INTROSPEZIONE RARE OOP MINI-LP CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPUS AVANTRA LORD CROMWELL PLAYS SUITE FOR SEVEN VICES RARE OOP MINI-LP CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALFREDO TISOCCO OPUS AVANTRA-Ritagli D'anima/JAPAN MINI LP CD/1977 ITALIAN PROG US $25.99 Buy It Now 4 days
OPUS AVANTRA WITH DONELLA DEL MONACO Introspezione TRIDENT RECORDS Import LP US $36.00 Buy It Now 5 days
ALFREDO TISOCCO (OPUS AVANTRA) RITAGLI D'ANIMA ITALY CD JAPAN EDIT OBI 3200yen US $79.99 Buy It Now 6 days
OPUS AVANTRA LYRICS RARE CD F/S ARCD023 US $29.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Opus Avantra-Lord Cromwell Italian prog Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 6 days
OPUS AVANTRA Omega BOX 4 mini LP CD italian prog US $60.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Cramps Single Box - Electric Frankenstein/Arti & Mestieri/Opus Avantra CD US $161.81 Buy It Now 8 days
OPUS AVANTRA S/T JAPAN MINI LP CD progressive rock US $22.49 Buy It Now 8 days
Opus Avantra-Lord Cromwell Plays..1975/1989 ARTIS ARCD 003 1st edition on CD M! US $23.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Alfredo Tisocco-Ritagli D'Anima 1987/88 ARTIS 001 Opus Avantra! 1st CD edition! US $21.99 Buy It Now 9 days
OPUS AVANTRA - INTROSPEZIONE NEW CD US $28.91 Buy It Now 10 days
Opus Avantra - Lord Cromwell Plays (CD/Japan/OBI) US $35.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Opus Avantra- Donella Del Monaco US $15.99 Buy It Now 10 days
OPUS AVANTRA / INTROSPEZIONE 1ST ALBUM MINI LP CD NEW US $21.99 Buy It Now 12 days
OPUS AVANTRA?/?JAPAN Mini-LP SHM-CD x 2 titles PROMO BOX Set!! US $117.50 Buy It Now 12 days
Electric Frankenstein/arti & Mestieri/opus Avantra - Cramps Single Box New & Sea US $162.57 Buy It Now 13 days
OPUS AVANTRA - LORD CROMWELL -PLAYS SUITE FOR SEVEN VIC (IMPORT) NEW CD US $62.65 Buy It Now 14 days
OPUS AVANTRA MINI LP 5 CD JAPAN BOX New US $249.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Opus Avantra-Donella del Monaco Japan mini lp US $24.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Nuova Idea- In The Beginning (OPUS AVANTRA, KATHARSIS) US $15.99 Buy It Now 18 days
ALFREDO TISOCCO ferrofania JAPAN mini lp CD OPUS AVANTRA SEALED US $28.49 Buy It Now 20 days
OPUS AVANTRA Strata Lp 70s ITA Folk Prog RARE ORIG US $66.31 Buy It Now 21 days
Electric Frankenstein/Arti & Mestieri/Opus Avantra by Various Artists Japan 6CD US $31.88 Buy It Now 23 days
OPUS AVANTRA Lord Cromwell 70s Italy Prog LP Vinyl REISSUE NEW US $79.85 Buy It Now 25 days
OPUS AVANTRA (Alfredo Tisocco) Omega 4 CD AKARMA BOXSET NEW US $89.85 Buy It Now 25 days
Introspezione - Opus Avantra New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $24.60 Buy It Now 25 days
Opus Avantra - Lord Cromwell -Plays Suite For Seven (Mini Lp Slee [CD New] US $42.79 Buy It Now 26 days
Opus Avantra - Introspezione 2008 [CD New] US $22.69 Buy It Now 26 days
OPUS AVANTRA - DONELLA DEL MONACO - ITALIAN PROG ROCK - NEW US $26.51 Buy It Now 26 days
Opus Avantra-same Italian prog Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 26 days
PIERROT LUNAIRE-same JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Opus Avantra Area PFM US $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
PIERROT LUNAIRE-Gudrun JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Opus Avantra Area PFM US $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
SAINT JUST-La Casa Del Lago JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Alan Sorrenti Opus Avantra PFM US $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
OPUS AVANTRA-Strata JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Museo Rosenbach Banco Alphataurus US $49.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Opus Avantra - Introspezione CD US $20.96 Buy It Now 27 days
OPUS AVANTRA - Donella Del Monaco Introspezione LP Miniature CD NEW $2.99 S/H US $18.99 Buy It Now 27 days
^ OPUS AVANTRA lyrics JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $49.99 Buy It Now 28 days
^ OPUS AVANTRA strata JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW US $59.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Opus Avantra- Lord Cromwell..+ 3 bonuses (SHM-CD) Mini Lp US $36.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Opus Avantra- Introspezione + 2 bonus (SHM-CD) mini lp US $36.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Opus Avantra-Donella del Monaco Italian prog cd US $19.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Introspezione - Opus Avantra New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $22.70 Buy It Now 29 days
DONELLA DEL MONACO ( OPUS AVANTRA ) il carnevale di... LP ORIG italian prog US $69.90 Buy It Now 29 days
ALFREDO TISOCCO ferrofani JAPAN mini lp CD OPUS AVANTRA US $15.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy OPUS AVANTRA music online Buy OPUS AVANTRA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OPUS AVANTRA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OPUS AVANTRA Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) ratings distribution

OPUS AVANTRA Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) reviews

Review by Andrea Cortese
3 stars It's somehow strange thing for me to be the very first one to review this album. Many people here tell me they appreciate a lot this fine, curious and unusual italian prog band, but there is no comment in the band's page. Ok, this is not their most famous work. It's nevertheless the second effort, released in 1975 after Introspezione. I'm not a follower of the avantguard prog and I do own few albums of such a genre. But alas I love to investigate and to check out the huge amount of surprises risen and rising from the italian scene.

And it's interesting to notice how much italian this album is. A fine work, as I said before, representing a good mix between avantguardist-experimental stuff along with a strong classical vein and with, sometimes, a remarkable melodic taste. Still an excellent italian product from the seventies. Some Chopin and Brahms flavour to enrich the instrumental passages. Donatella Del Monaco's vocals replaced by a chorus.

Lyrics and music now are written by Alfredo Tisocco who also provides a wide range of keyboards (piano stenway, piano fender, hammond, synth and pipe organ). The idea is fascinating: to put in music the seven mortal sins. Pride, avarice, lust, wrath, gluttony, sloth and envy, are all well translated in music. In a very good manner, that's my humble opinion. Just listen to "Avarice", for example, which starts with few, sparse and disorganized musical piano points then evolving into a dramatic classical scene, finally fading out in disorder as it opened.

Angelic choruses, violins, cello and flute make of this avantguard work something very enjoyable also for who is not really a lover of this genre as I think I am. It's impossible not to love "the ethereal "Gluttony" and its melodic sad atmosphere.

3.50 that I perhaps should round up to 4, just to make justice of that unique 2 stars rating without any explanation. The risk could to make people avoid this album.

Send comments to Andrea Cortese (BETA) | Report this review (#101433) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 02, 2006

Review by laplace
4 stars Whereas "Intrespezione" opened in a stark and challenging way, "Lord Cromwell..." chooses to unfold in a serenely, stately manner with a neo-classical arrangement for piano, flute and... well, timpani. This should send up a warning flag but happily the song morphs into rock and cycles through several different textures before its melodic and pleasing conclusion in a fairly EL&P or Le Orme-like way. No "sophomore album" problem for Opus Avantra, then.

This one appears to be a concept album as the song titles gel with that of the record. I'm not versed in italian so I can't tell you how lyrically deep this delves but I can confirm that each of the tracks synonymous with one of the sins sounds rather like its sinner, ie, "Avarice" sounds like the soundtrack for the life of a mercenary man with a great desire for power and "Envy" is a challenging, staggering piece that cleverly expresses inner bitterness and rage.

This one is twice as rocky as their previous endeavour and a better starting point for the more orthodox prog-heads among us.

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#114331) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Review by Finnforest
4 stars No sophomore slump for Opus

Opus Avantra is one of the heavyweights of the RPI scene who get far too little attention for reasons I can't identify. As their name implies this is a group which mixes classical and opera with avant-garde passages and traditional melodies. To break it down even more Opus Avantra really have two sides to them on these first two 70s releases. There is their avant side which can sometimes be compelling and sometimes quite irritating, with instruments pressed into pursuit of the seemingly random. Their other side is what draws me in and makes them one of my favorite RPI groups: the simply drop-dead gorgeous classical and opera over heavenly piano and flute melodies. The band was born in 1973 Veneto and is most known for famed vocalist Donella del Monaco and composer Aldredo Tisocco, but quite a large number of musicians have participated over the years. After their first two mid 70s albums came a long break before two more studio albums appeared, one in the late 80s and another in the 90s.

"Lord Cromwell" is their sophomore effort and it is spectacular, I actually prefer it to their more widely acclaimed debut which featured del Monaco. (She was absent from this second album) This is a conceptual work based on the seven deadly sins and it has a more determined, motivated feel to it-they really went for it here compositionally speaking. Most of it works very well and sometimes they remind me of Australia's Rainbow Theater in their approach. The "avant" sections of their first two albums have moments that annoy me to no end because they often break the flow of the heart-achingly beautiful classical sections. They don't wreck the experience completely, they just nudge it down a bit. I also feel that the avant sections are not going to be quite radical enough to please what the Avant-Rio genre fans of today are used to, thus making Opus Avantra most useful to fans of classical and opera music with some prog feel and general moments of weirdness. A good description of their sound follows: "old-school synthesizers, sawing violins, piano, very clear electric guitar, flute, percussion (both rock and classical) and a highly theatrical but largely vibrato-free American-accented soprano. On top of that, its influences are atypical; where avant-prog usually draws on composers from the first half of the 20th century and sometimes from the Renaissance, Opus Avantra seem to be more concerned with the Baroque and Classical periods and the avant-garde of the 50s and 60s. Sometimes these styles are cleanly separated from each other, as in the lyrical Bach-goes-symph "Gluttony," or "My Vice," in which 60s-style analog synths slide and whir behind an atonal harpsichord part. In the longer pieces, styles are thrown together almost willy-nilly: "Avarice," for instance, starts out sounding like Boulez circa Structures Ia, but passes through some tempestuous pseudo-Beethoven and then melds the two together with blurry atonal synth parts and droney pedal points in the piano." -Alex Temple, Progweed

But oh those pretty songs... "Flowers on Pride", "Lust", and "Gluttony" are three of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Gorgeous male and female choirs take the place of Donella on this album and they do just fine. The approach of the American choir worked splendidly basking in the glory of the strings, the dancing flutes, and the beautiful piano melodies of Alfredo. Occasionally the vocals will offer up spoken word narration to emphasize some dramatic buildup. The more experimental sections are less interesting to me but "Avarice" is a stunning, lengthy piano solo with plenty of twists and turns. "Ira" approaches sheer instrumental madness in places for almost 8 minutes. Overall the music of "Lord Cromwell" swells with the spirit of the 1970s Italian scene: bold, beautiful, and a bit outrageous in places but always retaining a bit of the calming reserve that comes from the lovely piano. This is an album that should thrill any RPI fan who loves gorgeous classical infused music with little rock content. I can't in good conscious give it 5 stars on this site but in my own heart it is a masterpiece. The Artis pressing features passable sound and a bonus track, but this title really needs a quality mini-lp sleeve remaster, and soon! If you've heard and enjoyed the debut you will certainly want to hear "Lord Crowell" too.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#229606) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 02, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Opus Avantra is considerated one of the top avant prog bands from Italy from the old school. The second album of this discret band, issued in 1975 and named Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices) is an odd treat for me, even not bad overall. The music offered is among the most avant prog I've listned recently and quite difficult to grasp on one spin or two, combining elements from aformentioned genre with classical music, weird arrangements and operatic vocal passages here and there. Lots of flutes, cello , violins combined with more traditional instruments makes Opus Avantra music quite a chalenge for my ears. There are some great songs here that I like , Flowers on Pride or Gluttony, but are some that I really can't get into like Ira or My Vice, to avant and experimental for my taste. Anyway I do consider this album fairly decent and most of the time enjoyble, but I can't find myself listning to this odd music very often. 3 stars is best I can give, good but hardly essential or groundbreaking for me. Strange gatefold cover aswell as the music.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#969204) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 02, 2013

Post a review of OPUS AVANTRA "Lord Cromwell (plays suite for seven vices)"