KALPA TARU

Buy MOONLIGHT Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Strach (3:16)
2. Stadium Wiary (4:32)
3. Cisza Przed Burza (2:38)
4. Ekstaza Milczena (3:59)
5. Conquistador 03:19)
6. Modlitwa O Zmilowanie (4:00)
7. Hexe (4:28)
8. Ananke (4:34)
9. Zmierzch (2:48)
10. Damaisa (4:46)
11. Jak Ryby (3:08)
12. Msza (5:07)
13. Deformis (4:08)
14. Zbrodnia I Kara (3:13)
15. Belibaste (3:05)

- Maja Konarska / vocals
- Andrzej Kutys / guitars
- Daniel Potasz / keyboards
- Pawel Gotlas / bass
- Tomek Wieczorek / drums

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

Buy MOONLIGHT Kalpa Taru Music

More places to buy MOONLIGHT music online Buy MOONLIGHT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MOONLIGHT Kalpa Taru ratings distribution

MOONLIGHT Kalpa Taru reviews

4 stars This is MOONLIGHT's first official album released in 1996. This Polish band is fronted by Maja Konarska, and man can she sing. Polish vocals by the way. I got into this band many years ago after discovering THE GATHERING. Back then I figured if the female fronted THE GATHERING are this good there has to be more great female fronted bands out there. And this is one of them. Right off the top I have to say that this album is considered by most to be a Goth-Metal record. This is heavier and more metallic than anything THE GATHERING has done.

"Strach" opens with synths and some atmosphere before the heaviness builds. It settles but the riffs kick in quickly followed by vocals.Themes are repeated. The "in your face" sound and synths remind me of GARDEN WALL. Not one of my favs but they have let us know they are here. "Stadium Wiary" has this relaxed intro then it gets heavier as the vocals come in. This sounds great ! This is mid-paced and heavy as she sings over top. "Cisza Przed Burza" Is a short tune that sounds incredible.This is laid back with a full layered sound, and the vocals sound so good. "Ekstaza Milczenia" has an orchestral sound to the intro as the vocals arrive. Nice chunky bass before 2 minutes then it turns heavier. We're rocking now ! "Conquistatodor" kicks in quickly with a heavy beat and vocals. It kicks in around 2 minutes.This is better. "Modlitwa A Zmitawanie" is a top three for me. It's laid back with reserved vocals then it kicks in before a minute. Contrasts continue. Love this track. "Hexe" opens with a mellow soundscape and reserved vocals. Acoustic guitar too. Here we go after a minute ! The guitar is fantastic before 2 minutes.The vocal melodies are cool 3 1/2 minutes in.

"Ananke" opens with atmosphere and guitar. Almost spoken vocals and drums join in. It's heavier after 1 1/2 minutes. Contrasts continue. "Zmierch" builds as vocals join in then settles quickly. This is my least favourite tune. "Damaisa" is a song that's really all over the place. The tempo and mood change often. "Jak Ryby" opens with intricate guitar as vocals join in. Drums follow. This is good. It kicks in hard after a minute. Contrasts continue. Nice bass after 2 1/2 minutes. "Msza" is also a top three and the most interesting sounding song. It opens with bass as those beautiful vocals join in. It turns intense around 2 minutes as the heaviness comes crushing in.Theatrical vocals too. Killer stuff. "Deformis" opens with spoken words. It turns dark. Heaviness comes in.Tempo picks up. Chunky bass and check out the vocals ! A top three. "Zbrodnia I Kara" opens with intricate guitar before the urgent vocals come in. This is intense. "Belibaste" is a relaxed and uplifting way to end the album.

A very solid 4 stars.

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Quite impressive debut album by this prolific (and yet not very known) polish band. The first track gave me the impression of another gothic metal band, with a non operatic female singer. But even though gothic and heavy metal are quite present here, there are lots of other elements too: symphonic keyboards, jazzy bits, folk, acoustic parts and eastern rhythms among them. The result is very interesting and shows great promise. The songs are short, but they are all very well done.

The groupīs main feature is doubtless their excellent singer Maja Konarska. She has a fine voice that is strong and melodic at the same time, and she also avoids most heavy metal cliches during her performances, which is no small feat. But the musicians here are all very good and able to perform all the styles I mentioned before.Their songwriting skills and arrangements are still a bit green, but this is only their first CD, so I guess iīll have to look for their latter day work to see how they developed through the years. Anyway, this was a nice surprise and something different to listen to, specially at the stalled gothic metal scene, where all the bands seem to follow a formula nowadays. All lyrics are sung in polish and it does suit their sound.

An interesting CD from an interesting band. If you like this kind of music, you should check it out. Final rating 3,5 stars.

Post a review of MOONLIGHT "Kalpa Taru"