AFTER BEFORE

Dan Swanö - Lead Vocals ,Drums
Peter Edwinzon - Keyboards, Bass, Vocals
Anders Mareby - Guitars, Vocals

Demo, Self Released 1992

Thanks to J-Man for the addition
and to J-Man for the last updates

UNICORN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy UNICORN After Before Music

Songs From the Family TreeSongs From the Family Tree
Wooden Hill UK 2009
DELIUS BOULANGER CHAMBER MUSIC LP UNICORN-KANCHANA DKP 9021 DIG NM GERMANY US $10.18 Buy It Now 1h
The Irish Rovers The Unicorn / Whiskey On A Sunday 7" 45 rpm MCA-85010 NM US $3.90 Buy It Now 1h 8m
UNICORN RHS 314 STEREO UK COPLAND CLARINET CONCERTO 1948-CRUSELL GRAND CONCERTO US $5.08 [0 bids]
Lot: 2 EUGENE GOOSSENS LPs Unicorn import US $15.50 Buy It Now 3h 12m
UNICORN - BLUE PINE TREES NEW CD US $21.35 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Leopold Stowkowski Panufnik Universal Prayer LP Unicorn Rhs 305 Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
THE UNKNOWN DEBUSSY-BOAZ SHARON-UNICORN KANCHANA CD 9103 - VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
Robert Simpson Sym No.3 Horenstein LP Unicorn 75016 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Empyr - Unicorn [CD New] US $12.07 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Unicorn - Uphill All The Way NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 5h 48m
THE IRISH ROVERS The Unicorn SHRINK 1967 Decca w/orig slv NM/NM LP Record US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
VG++ J.D. DREWS SELF TITLED 1980 LP UNICORN RECORDS 9500 US $5.98 Buy It Now 6h 29m
EMPYR - UNICORN NEW CD US $17.50 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Unicorn - I'll Believe In You (The Hymn) 7" US $23.78 Buy It Now 7h 12m
THE AUTOMOBILE Sounds of 50 Years Cadillac to Ferrari UNICORN LP auto sounds US $29.95 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Unicorn by Empyr (CD, Apr-2011, Jive (USA)) US $9.10 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Dizzy Gillespie Lalo Schifrin 7" 45 HEAR SOUL FUNK Unicorn PABLO Free Ride JAZZ US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 22m
TY SEGALL CASSETTE 1st Press - #130/300 HORN THE UNICORN & LIVE IN AISLE FIVE US $20.00 [0 bids]
3 LPs Unicorn - Blue Pine Trees, 2, One More Tomorrow. Pink Floyd David Gilmour. US $44.54 Buy It Now 9h 53m
ALEC ROTH - THE UNICORN IN THE GARDEN - NEW CD US $12.67 Buy It Now 12h 59m
HAYDN CPE BACH Cello Concerto PAUL TORTELIER Unicorn UNS 207 US $75.00 Buy It Now 14h 14m
TYRANNOSAURUS REX-A BEARD OF STARS / UNICORN-JAPAN ISSUE 2LPs GF +OBI iii US $262.99 Buy It Now 14h 54m
PER DREIER / GRIEG Olav Trygvason / Landkjenning UNICORN RHS 364 Holland NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
EDWIN FISCHER - FURTWANGLER / BRAHMS / UNICORN US $10.99 Buy It Now 16h 11m
ED ASKEW ask the unicorn '68 org LP loner psych folk real people ESP-DISK' 1092 US $199.99 Buy It Now 16h 32m
Thomas (violin), etc. Barber (Violin concerto; etc). Unicorn UNS 256. NM US $14.00 Buy It Now 18h 12m
Mallabel Music Presents: The Platinum Unicorn Coll [CD New] US $10.26 Buy It Now 18h 20m
SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - HOMETOWN UNICORN 7" VINYL PS US $10.18 Buy It Now 18h 22m
EMPYR - UNICORN - NEW CD US $9.09 Buy It Now 18h 33m
Ruatavaara True & False Unicorn Classical CD US $10.18 Buy It Now 19h
Ed Askew-Ask the Unicorn CD Very Good US $71.78 Buy It Now 19h 9m
IRISH ROVERS: Years May Come, Years May Go[Unicorn,Whiskey on a Sunday,Sam Hill] US $9.98 Buy It Now 19h 52m
SWCK - UNICORN CHASERS - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 19h 55m
MINT RUGGIERO RICCI UNICORN J.S. BACH PARTITAS STEREO BOX SET US $199.99 Buy It Now 20h 50m
Unicorn CD Card 1 Paradise Music Greeting Card Paradise Music US $11.88 Buy It Now 20h 55m
Unicorn CD Card 2 Paradise Music Greeting Card Paradise Music US $10.18 Buy It Now 20h 55m
Royal Choral Society, Band Grenadier Guards - In Concert - Unicorn- DKM6001 (LP) US $42.48 Buy It Now 22h 2m
@UNICORN UNS 207 *TORTELIER* C.P.E.BACH /HAYDN* CELLO CTOS *LCO* NM US $5.08 Buy It Now 23h 35m
Folk Music Closeout, The Irish Rovers, The Unicorn, MCA 1980 US $0.79 [0 bids]
CLASSICAL:RAFF Lenore Bernard Herrmann LP Unicorn UNS 209 US $16.98 Buy It Now 1 day
UNICORN HARD ON - Weird Universe - LP US $32.47 Buy It Now 1 day
TYRANNOSAURUS REX. UNICORN . UK VINYL LP REGAL ZONOPHONE.1969. STEREO.RED/SILVER US $35.68 [2 bids]
UNICORN - OOH MOTHER 7" VINYL US $11.03 Buy It Now 1 day
  BERNARD HERRMANN PSYCHO ALFRED HITCHCOCK ORIGINAL UNICORN  US $21.93 Buy It Now 1 day
(CO667) Super Furry Animals, Hometown Unicorn - 1996 DJ CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 1 day
New Aimer UnChild Limited Edition Gundam UC Unicorn CD Japan Anime F/S DFCL-2072 US $65.00 Buy It Now 1 day
(DJ185) The Duloks, Lovelorn Unicorn - DJ CD US $3.38 Buy It Now 1 day
IRISH ROVERS: GREATEST HITS [UNICORN,LIVERPOOL LOU,FAREWELL TO NOVA SCOTIA++] US $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Unicorn Magic - S/T - Hand Silk Screened Cover 7 Inch Vinyl Records NEW US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NOAH YOUNG Unicorn Dream LAUGHING ANGEL Private JAZZ LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
UNICORN P.F. Sloan RARE Spanish 45 SUPERB UK psych sunshine pop 7" PS 45 US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Mickie D's Unicorn Searcher b/w Black Rider Italy 7" 45 PS single WEA G 18090 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
John Renbourn-The Lady And The Unicorn-LP-Reprise-RS 6407-Vinyl Record US $5.29 [0 bids]
HEAR Funk Soul Jazz Samples 45 DIZZY GILLESPIE & LALO SCHIFRIN Unicorn PABLO 110 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mozart K.361 Sernade No. 10 / Wilhelm Furtwangler / Unicorn LP Re-Issued US $5.00 [0 bids]
M.I.T. - MIT - BEETHOVEN - BEREZOWSKI - HANDEL - UNICORN UNSR 1 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JOHN RENBOURN - "The Lady And The Unicorn" LP 1970 EARLY US PRESS (1B) IN SHRINK US $24.88 Buy It Now 1 day
LAWRENCE MOE Handel Organ Concerti, KLAUS LIEPMANN/ Unicorn 12" LP Kapp KCL-9018 US $2.81 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW IMPORT CD-Tyrannosaurus Rex-For The Lion and the Unicorn in the Oak Forest.. US $100.00 [0 bids]
Dragonmilk - Lion and the Unicorn cd 1973 Infinity UK psych prog KISSING SPELL US $22.90 Buy It Now 1 day
The IRISH ROVERS The Unicorn / Black Velvet Band 1960's OZ 45 US $9.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Empyr - Unicorn CD US $14.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Kaddisfly - Buy Our Intention; We'll Buy You A Unicorn US $9.40 Buy It Now 1 day
"The Unicorn" The Irish Rovers; 1967 LP; Near Mint US $28.17 Buy It Now 1 day
MARIO PIU-UNICORN/TUNNEL-HARD TRANCE/BXR/PIC DISC@LISTN US $13.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Psycho Soundtrack UK 1975 Unicorn RARE Bernard Herrmann ULTRASONIC Cleaned US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Unicorn RHS 310 Delius Violin Sonatas #1,2,3 Holmes/Fenby UK NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
Capleton title Say Yeah / Unicorn & Alozade title Cronic In Ma Brain US $30.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SCANDINAVIAN STRING MUSIC (UNICORN UNS 201) UK 1969 STEREO LP LESLIE JONES US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Nielsen "Maskarade" Unicorn UN3-2398 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TERUO NAKAMURA-UNICORN-JAPAN MINI LP BLU-SPEC CD F56 US $29.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Unicorn RHS 304 Ricci & Petracchi - Violin & Double-Bass Paganini / Bottesini US $17.99 [0 bids]
Beethoven Piano Sonatas 13-15 Paul Badura - Skoda Unicorn UK 1969 US $9.00 [0 bids]
UNICORN-HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE RAIN 7" SINGLE CHEAP US $6.36 Buy It Now 2 days
Brahms: Symphony No. 2 / CONDUCTED by JASCHA HORENSTEIN / UNICORN STEREO UNS 236 US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Kaddisfly - Buy Our Intention We'll Buy You A Unicorn NEW CD US $12.85 Buy It Now 2 days
JOHN RENBOURN: The Lady And The Unicorn LP (Italy '80 reissue, sl cw) Rock US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MACKA DIAMOND/UNICORN - Think Bout Mi (Riddim) - 7" US $6.70 Buy It Now 2 days
IRISH ROVERS "The Unicorn" 45rpm 1968 Decca 32254 VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WILLIAM ALWYN Turina LP Unicorn GABRIELI STRING QUARTET US $9.90 Buy It Now 2 days
Black Flag LIFE of PAIN RARE 81 SST Unicorn records Special Gift US $10.00 [1 bids]
Mahler Symphony No.3 Horenstein LSO Unicorn Dig. UN2-75004X 2LP Set - Mint! US $20.00 [0 bids]
GARY HARRISON To The Night SEALED lp Unicorn 1982 U.S. US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CARL NIELSEN: SYMPHONY NO. 4: L.S.O. / OLE SCHMIDT: UNICORN 1974 LP: NM / NM US $22.08 Buy It Now 2 days
Joe Chemay Band The Riper the Finer vinyl LP EX 1981 UNICORN US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ULTIMATE SPINACH - LIVE AT THE UNICORN JULY 1967 NEW CD US $24.81 Buy It Now 2 days
The Irish Rovers - The Unicorn / Black Velvet Band - Decca 32254 45 RPM US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Irish Rovers: The Unicorn ORIGINAL DECCA RELEASE (Excellent) LP US $4.47 [0 bids]
DIGITAL Audiophile DIMITRI TIOMKIN LP West Film World GATEFOLD Unicorn 81 Dutch US $29.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Irish Rovers The Unicorn/ Whiskey On A Sunday 45 rpm EX US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bernard Herrmann "MOBY DICK" Aeolian Singers / Unicorn UN1-72015 White Cover NM US $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
UNICORN One More Tomorrow LP Dave Gilmour SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
Wolfmother - White Unicorn 4 Track CD Single Incl Video US $12.18 Buy It Now 2 days
FURTWANGLER Brahms Ein deutsches Requiem Historical 1948 Unicorn EMI 2 LP MINT US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BACHELORS - 7" E.P - THE UNICORN US $23.50 Buy It Now 2 days
LAURIE JOHNSON NEW AVENGERS / THE PROFESSIONALS THEME UK UNICORN 7" P/S 1980 vg US $10.18 Buy It Now 2 days
#HEAR# UNICORN 75014 CARL NIELSEN FIFTH SYMPHONY OLE SCHMIDT STEREO LP NM! US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
#HEAR# UNICORN 75013 CARL NIELSEN FOURTH SYMPHONY OLE SCHMIDT STEREO LP NM! US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
#HEAR# UNICORN 75012 CARL NIELSEN THIRD SYMPHONY OLE SCHMIDT STEREO LP NM! US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
#HEAR# UNICORN RHS-329 CARL NIELSEN SIXTH SYMPHONY OLE SCHMIDT STEREO LP NM! US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy UNICORN music online Buy UNICORN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for UNICORN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

UNICORN After Before ratings distribution

UNICORN After Before reviews

Review by J-Man
2 stars The Weakest Unicorn Release

For those of you who read my reviews and/or know me well for the forums, you would probably know that I have a bit of a soft spot for the music of Swedish neo-prog band Unicorn. I always love their heartfelt and sincere compositions, and even though their releases always have a fair share of flaws, I consider myself a fan of this product of Dan Swanö, Peter Edwinzon, and Anders Mareby. On their fourth, and final, demo - 1992's After Before - I am pretty disappointed, however. This is the weakest Unicorn release for various reasons that are exclusive to this demo only.

First of all, After Before contains material that would all be soon released on full-length Unicorn albums. This will probably significantly lower the appeal of this demo to most people, especially considering that the album versions of these five tracks are significantly better than these demos. There are a few cases with Unicorn's music where I actually prefer the demo to the album release, but that isn't the case with any of the songs on After Before. Many of them sound underdeveloped and have rather flawed arrangements, both of which were improved on the final versions. For that reason alone, After Before can really only be regarded as a collector's item. It's a pretty good collector's item at that, but it is nonetheless completely non-essential.

Another major issue with this demo is Dan's vocals. I would say that they sound rather weak on this demo, which is odd since he usually has a fantastic voice. It often sounds strained and out of his normal range. This is another problem that was mostly fixed on the album versions. His voice on the previous three demos (The Weirdest of Tales in particularly) is far superior to this demo.

As I mentioned, I have a bit of a problem with Dan Swanö's voice on this demo, but the musicianship is otherwise pretty good. Dan's drumming sounds much tighter, precise, and professional on this demo, which is of course a good thing. Anders Mareby isn't given as many killer solos on this demo (if you want to hear him do some fantastic solos, get The Weirdest of Tales). He still does a great job, as usual, but I don't think that this is quite his best. The same goes with Peter Edwinzon. He does a really great job, but I think that he has done better on previous demos and future albums. I also miss some of the keyboard tones on the earlier demos. I know that they can sound cheesy at times, but it gave Unicorn some of their charm in my opinion.

The production is largely an improvement over the previous demos. It sounds more professional to these ears. I actually prefer the productions of the early demos, though. Even though most audiophiles won't be able to tolerate the amateurish mixing of their first three demos, I personally think it gave Unicorn some of their appeal.

After Before consists of five tracks, which adds up to almost a half-hour in length. As I've mentioned earlier, all five of these tracks can be found on Unicorn's future albums, which I highly recommend hearing. My favorite tracks are When The World Came Watching and After Before. None of the other tracks are bad, though some of them are a bit hit-and-miss. Especially the opening track, Liquefy. It has some really fantastic moments, but it has a few poor transitions that really lower my overall enjoyment of the song.

Conclusion:

After Before is the weakest Unicorn demo by far, and I can't give it more than 2 stars. This is really only for Unicorn fans (like myself), and even then you're not guaranteed to be impressed. Despite my complaining, After Before still isn't a terrible demo. I've heard so many disastrous demos from various bands, and this one is quite good by comparison. If you're a fan of Unicorn, this is worth getting. After all, it's available for free.

2 stars.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#277100) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 09, 2010

Post a review of UNICORN "After Before"