VENUSIAN SUMMER

Lenny White

Lenny White Venusian Summer album cover

Buy LENNY WHITE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Chicken-Fried Steak (4:33)
2. Away Go Troubles (Down The Drain) (3:21)
3. The Venusian Summer Suite:
Part 1. Sirenes (4:28)
Part 2. Venusian Summer (6:38)
4. Prelude To Rainbow Delta (1:10)
5. Mating Drive (7:40)
6. Prince Of The Sea (11:37)

Search LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer lyrics

Search LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer tabs

Bass - Doug Rauch
Electric Piano, Clavinet - Onaje Allan Gumbs (tracks: A2, A4, B2, B3)
Engineer - Dennis MacKay
Guitar - Al Di Meola (tracks: B3) , Doug Rodrigues (tracks: A1, A2, B2) , Larry Coryell (tracks: B3) , Raymond Gomez (tracks: A1, B2)
Keyboards, Synthesizer - David Sancious (tracks: A2, A4)
Organ - Jimmy Smith (tracks: A1) , Larry Young (tracks: B2) , Weldon Irvine (tracks: A2)
Producer, Drums - Lenny White
Synthesizer - Patrick Gleeson (tracks: A3, A4, B1) , Peter Robinson (tracks: A3, A4)
Synthesizer, Flugelhorn - Tom Harrell (tracks: A3, B3)

LP : Nemperor Records NE 435 (US),ST-NE-753 475, ATL 50213 Atlantic (Germany), Atlantic K 50213 (UK), Atlantic 50.213 (France)

Re-released on CD by Wounded Bird Records WOU 435 (US)

Recorded June and August 1975, Electric Lady Studios, New York.
Orchestra sequences recorded at Different Fur, San Francisco

Thanks to snobb for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

LENNY WHITE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer Music

Nemperor
Vinyl$6.00 (used)
Lenny White LiveLenny White Live
Varese Sarabande 2013
LENNY WHITE My Turn To Love You b/w Fascination STOCK M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Chick Corea Stanley Clarke Lenny White - Forever - SEALED U.S. 2 cd - RARE! US $13.72 Buy It Now 20h 49m
NEW-2 Disc- Forever by Chick Corea/Lenny White/Return to Forever/Stanley Clarke US $11.49 Buy It Now 22h 18m
Mystery Feet - Upstream New CD Lenny White,Spyro Gtra US $5.50 [0 bids]
Twennynine w/ Lenny White s/t LP nm elektra original US $12.00 Buy It Now 23h 35m
Twennynine with Lenny White Elektra 1980 US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Voyceboxing GRP Release 1991 produced By Lenny White New and Sealed. US $3.95 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE & LENNY WHITE Just Like Dreamin ELEKTRA LP US $8.00 [0 bids]
LP-LENNY WHITE/VENUSIAN SUMMER/WHEW!/w/AL DI MEOLA/75,NEMPEROR US $5.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE with LENNY WHITE Just Like Dreamin' ELEKTRA LP '81 OG US $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Lenny White - Big City - LP US $3.50 [0 bids]
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White - Best Of Friends 1979 Japan CD w/OBI Rare OOP US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE *DJ COPY* "TIME" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White 7" 45 HEAR FUNK ROCK Stew Cabbage and Galactic Beans ELEKTRA 1978 US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ABSTRACT LOGIX LIVE ~JOHN MCLAUGHLIN ~LENNY WHITE ~ALEX MACHACEK ~2CD SET ~NEW US $8.90 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW ~ ABSTRACT LOGIX LIVE ~JOHN MCLAUGHLIN ~ LENNY WHITE ~ALEX MACHACEK ~2CD SET US $11.89 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE: Big City LP Jazz US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE: Attitude LP (WLP, promo stamp obc, sl corner bend) Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MIROSLAV VITOUS Majesty Music Lenny White Jaroslav Jakubovic Arista LP US $19.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Twennynine With Lenny White Modern Soul LP NEXT DAY SHIPPING! US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White - Big City LP VG++/EX Tower Of Power Horns US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE 1978 STRAMLINE Japan CD w/OBI rare 1998 Org. 1st Pressed AMCY-2787 US $68.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE "Kid Stuff" 12" ELEKTRA AS-11462 PROMO VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Twennynine with Lenny White "Just Like Dreamin'" 5E-5551 12" LP NM/NM Ship World US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TWENNYNINE With Lenny White LP 1980 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Big City by Lenny White (CD, Aug-2006, Wounded Bird) RARE OOP US $69.95 Buy It Now 3 days
TWENNYNINE Featuring LENNY WHITE PEANUT BUTTER b/w OH SYLVIE 7" NM UNPLAYED US $3.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Twennynine with Lenny White CD Just Like Dreamin Wounded Bird NEW SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
lenny white-elektra-atitude US $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
TEWNNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE Just Like Dreamin' 5E-551 LP p4606 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Twennynine Lenny White: Oh sylvie / Peanut butter 7" 45rpm vinyl record 3c US $1.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE: Streamline (soul vinyl LP) v. sl cw, sm wol US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Twennynine With Lenny White - Just Like Dreamin' [CD New] US $12.10 Buy It Now 4 days
TWENNYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE s/t LP 10 track with inner and 2 track bonus 12 US $11.09 Buy It Now 4 days
CD/Japan- LENNY WHITE Present Tense w/OBI RARE ORIGINAL 1995 - RETURN TO FOREVER US $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LENNY WHITE - Big City LP 1977 NM SOUL FUNK JAZZ NE 441 US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Tennynine With Lenny White My Melody 7" 45 Elektra E-47120 1980 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Twennynine with Lenny White LP Just Like Dreamin US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
TWENNYNINE "Twennynine With Lenny White" LP Elektra 6E-304 SHRINK US $9.95 Buy It Now 4 days
TWENNYNINE with LENNY WHITE My Melody b/w Love and Be Loved STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE MOVIN' ON 12" OG '81 WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA DISC US $3.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE ALL I WANT 12" OG '81 WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA DISCO RAP US $3.99 [0 bids]
Twennynine w/Lenny White Just Like Dreamin' LP VG+/EX WLP US $5.60 Buy It Now 4 days
Soul Promo 45 LENNY WHITE Universal Love on Elektra (PR US $5.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine With Lenny White - Just Like Dreamin' - New LP in Original Loose Wrap US $26.00 Buy It Now 5 days
"Larry Coryell, Victor Bailey And Lenny White Electric CD" US $13.35 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE kidd stuff 12" 2 trk rapp version b/w version featuring lenny white, US $21.08 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White - Attitude 1983 Japan CD w/OBI US $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White 70s JAZZ LP Adventures of Astral Pirates US $13.98 Buy It Now 5 days
HIP, BOP N COOL CD (Tom Browne/Urbanator/Dr Lonnie Smith/Lenny White) Jazz US $3.98 Buy It Now 5 days
TWENNYNINE / LENNY WHITE - BEST OF FRIENDS (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $30.40 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE LP, Big City (NEMPERA US Issue EX/EX) US $18.32 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE LP, Streamline (ELEKTRA US Issue EX/EX) US $18.32 Buy It Now 5 days
TWENNYNINE LP, With Lenny White (ELEKTRA US Issue EX/NM) US $18.32 Buy It Now 5 days
LUIS GASCA Joe Henderson Carlos Santana LP Stanley Clarke Lenny White US $22.97 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE lady madonna 12" 2 trk special limited edition b/w 12 bars from mars US $8.39 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE lady madonna 12" 2 trk b/w 12 bars from mars but has radio station w US $8.39 Buy It Now 5 days
Forever Chick Corea/Stanley Clarke/Lenny White CD US $12.72 Buy It Now 6 days
LENNY WHITE HEAVY METAL MONSTER 12" white label promo EXCELLENT VINYL condition US $26.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kazumi Watanabe,Lonesome Cat,George Cables,Cecil McBee,Lenny White,Japan CD OOP  US $59.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Lenny White "Big City" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 6 days
AL DI MEOLA Elegant Gypsy white promo Jan Hammer Lenny White jazz fusion Lp US $13.56 Buy It Now 6 days
Twennynine with Lenny White Fancy Dancer bw Same (mono) ELK 47087 promo US $4.97 Buy It Now 6 days
NOS TWENNYNINE & LENNY WHITE ...... ALL I WANT US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
LENNY WHITE: The Adventures Of Astral Pirates (soul vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 6 days
FUSE ONE - s/t (1980 JAZZ FUNK SOUL) Stanley Clarke Lenny White Larry Coryell US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Just Like Dreamin' Twennynine with Lenny White CD US $9.13 Buy It Now 6 days
LENNY WHITE My Turn To Love You 12" single Elektra ED 4921 (1983) promo US $7.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TWENNYNINE FEAT. LENNY WHITE-BEST OF FRIENDS-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B50 US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
PIECES OF A DREAM JOYRIDE CD MAURICE WHITE BERNARD WRIGHT LENNY WHITE P DA COSTA US $13.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Lenny White "Venusian Summer" LP 1975 Nemperor Records NM/VG+ US $12.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Lenny White - Lenny White Collection The US $18.47 Buy It Now 7 days
Lenny White-Peanut butter-1980 12" single US $8.39 Buy It Now 7 days
CHICK COREA/STANLEY CLARKE/LENNY WHITE**FOREVER**2 CD'S US $13.63 Buy It Now 7 days
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE my melody 12" RECORD PROMO US $9.75 Buy It Now 7 days
LENNY WHITE**LIVE (DIGI)**CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 7 days
LENNY WHITE BIG CITY LP. FUSION FUNK. VG. US $2.63 Buy It Now 7 days
Soul 45 TWENTYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE Peanut Butter on Elektra US $5.00 Buy It Now 7 days
NOS LENNY WHITE ...... TIME US $6.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Twennynine With Lenny White LP Rare Promo s US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
VG+ LP~TWENNYNINE~WIth Lenny White~Self Titled~[Original 1980 ELEKTRA Issue]~ US $4.97 Buy It Now 7 days
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White Citi Dancin bw Same (mono) Elektra 46651 WLP US $4.97 Buy It Now 7 days
LENNY WHITE LP RECORD, STREAMLINE US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Don Cherry,Tony Williams,Michael Brecker,Lenny White,Marcus Miller "Hear and Now US $29.80 Buy It Now 8 days
LENNY WHITE -- Big City -- 1977 release US $5.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Larry Coryell & Victor Bailey/Lenny White - Traffic [Hybrid SACD] US $35.97 Buy It Now 8 days
LENNY WHITE big city LP VG NE 441 Vinyl 1977 Record US $6.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Larry Coryell,Victor Bailey,Lenny White Electric Great Jazz Fusion Chesky US $12.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Jaco Pastorius Japan CD Herbie Hancock Wayne Shorter Lenny White US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TWENTYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE - FANCY DANCER - DJ-7" SINGLE 45RPM RARE US $7.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Twennynine With Lenny White - Just Like Dreamin CD US $22.47 Buy It Now 9 days
Lenny White - Attitude CD US $13.39 Buy It Now 9 days
LENNY WHITE streamline LP Mint- 6E 164 Vinyl 1978 Record US $8.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Twennynine featuring Lenny White "Oh, Sylvie/Peanut Butter" 45 in Stereo US $4.95 Buy It Now 9 days
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE best of friends LP VG+ 6E-223 Vinyl 1979 Record US $6.40 Buy It Now 9 days
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE best of friends LP Mint- 6E 223 Vinyl 1979 Record US $12.00 Buy It Now 9 days
jazz GRIFFITH PARK 2 stanley CLARK / chick COREA / lenny WHITE super clean MINT- US $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE - JUST LIKE DREAMIN` - CDMRED583 US $14.17 Buy It Now 9 days
Twennynine With Lenny White-STL~ELEKTRA LP DISCO SOUL US $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Lenny White Attitude LP Elektra 60232 US $7.20 Buy It Now 9 days

More places to buy LENNY WHITE music online Buy LENNY WHITE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LENNY WHITE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer ratings distribution

LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer reviews

Review by Logan
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Forum Moderator
4 stars Men are from Mars, sexy women are from Venus ... it being summer, they can forego clothes... I've always been interested in astronomy and have often trained my telescope on Venus, beats looking at Uranus, so I do know what I'm talking about, butt I digress.

Speaking of Venusians, what a beautiful album cover. It's the kind of imagery that I would like to paint on the side of my van cum love-mobile. It has wall-to-wall carpeting by the way -- I better stop this train of thought now before this review, I use the term loosely, gets completely off the wall and I get put up against the wall.

Lenny White is the drummer who played on the seminal album by Miles Davis, "Bitches Brew", and also played on the most excellent, musically better than "Bitches Brew" in my opinion, "Red Clay" by Freddie Hubbard. He also performed on Eddie Henderson's masterpiece, and I believe one of the greatest albums in JRF, "Realization" (which is what initially drew me to explore Lenny White albums). In fact, Lenny White has played with a great many of the jazz, and jazz fusion greats such as Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Buster Williams, Eddie Henderson, Billy Hart, Benny Maupin, Ron Carter, Joe Henderson, various Return to Forever guys obviously, but we forgive him ;), and Larry Coryell. This album and "Adventures of Astral Pirates" are my favourites under his name.

What particularly makes this album special is the "Venusian Summer Suite", and how sweet it is! It ranks amongst my favourite pieces of music in the jazz-rock universe, and this is the heart of the album. It starts off in an electronic, cosmic, and beautiful manner that is reminiscent of western art music composers such as Holst and Debussy (in fact, I thought I recognised the specific theme -- maybe not that original but still so wonderful). It is very much a Dr. Patrick Gleeson slice and it is his contribution that makes the opening so superb. It transitions fantastically into stirring, exciting, exhilarating (now I'm being really exasperating) jazz-funk. What a great track; one of the best in jazz-rock/electronic, and it should appeal to those who love music such as Herbie Hancock's "Sextant" and "Crossings" as well as Bennie Maupin albums -- adding this suite to a cosmic funk session (playlist) with tracks such as Bennie Maupin's 'Quasar' (the version from "Slow Traffic to the Right"), Eddie Henderson's 'Galaxy' off "Sunburst", 'Languidity' from Sun-Ra, and similar funky cosmic excursions is an epic thing to do.

If the whole album was up to the standards of the "Venusian Summer Suite" this album would get a five from me. It's not, but there is more to get pretty excited about.

"Chicken Fried Steak" and "Away Goes Trouble Down the Train" is good, fun and enjoyable, but nothing terribly remarkable. Pretty standard bluesy jazz-rock and rather boring for me. If you like electric guitar-oriented music and pretty bog-standard blues and rock-and-roll, this might hold considerable appeal. I still find it fun, but while these these pieces have their moments, I have tended to skip them. Still, it presents another side to the music and gives contrast, so as part of the album package, it makes the album better. Erm, sort of. Still, not the greatest start for an album for me. Of course things soon improve with the 'suite' that follows.

"Prelude to a Rainbow Delta", another very Gleesonish work (I'm pretty sure Gleeson composed it as well as performed), is a wonderful and short ambient electronic piece. It's reminiscent of Tangerine Dream and ilk (also hear such forays with Art Zoyd and Patricia Dallio's electronic work).

"Mating Drive" is terrific, driving JRF which starts off in the electronic world like "Venusian Summer Suite" then picks up steam -- strong technical drumming by White if not terribly imaginative (his drumming, though good technically does generally fail to particularly appeal as I don't find him to be a very creative drummer). Still, a damned fine "rockin" piece with enough jazz-funk to satisfy.

The final track, "Prince of the Sea" is also very good and rockin' jazz-rock (maybe a little too rockin'/ electric guitar oriented for me). Hardly a favourite track in jazz-rock fusion, but well-done. I wish it had more of an experimental edge, but very good never-the-less for what it is. I do wish it had more subtlety; however, it is still an excellent piece of jazz-rock and definitely enjoyable for me. I expect this would be the highlight of the album for quite a few. If you love Al Di Meola's electric guitar style, and like shredding or whatever you'd call this guitar-style. then you'll love this. This is the track I'd recommend to those into power metal and guitar hero music since the guitar style is reminiscent of shredding and hints of Eddie van Halen et cetera. I love the way it ends with a gong and seagulls -- pretty Zen (and maybe a touch cliché)

I'm giving this album a four because I do think it's very well-executed and it has some great music on it. Just for the "Venusian Summer Suite" alone I think this is pretty essential. Lowlights for me include guitar-work which is just not altogether my style (Coryell does good work on this, but I feel like Al Di Meola is not that 'elegant' here). The highlights include the electronics, great jazz-funk, and fine keyboard work.

On the whole I prefer "Astral Pirates," but this has such great music included that this is the most essential work I've heard from Lenny White's self-named albums. However, it has too many "mainstream" moments for me to consider this whole work amazing and, as if with a lot of jazz-rock, the compositions can suffer from overdone instrumental showmanship.

One I'd definitely recommend to many, but not so much, considering the bulk of the album, to those who prefer their jazz more experimental (as I often do). If you're more mainstream-oriented, then this could appeal hugely and open up new musical passions, but there's music for most everyone to really enjoy.

Send comments to Logan (BETA) | Report this review (#270554) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars Lenny White recorded his solo debut still being a RTF drummer. But the music there isn't too much connected with RTF works. Yes, it is jazz fusion, but more similar to Herbie Hancock albums from early 70-s.

Lenny White is not a second Billy Cobham, but he is very competent and has great funk feeling. So, the album opener is funky fusion composition. But even if some funk is presented in more places there on the album, very important are both keyboards and guitars ( on few compositions). Spacey synthesizers (not in a manner of many electronic space bands, but very dreamy, atmospheric, heavily influenced by Hancock Mwandishi trilogy sound) build bigger part of album's music. Only final composition is filled with Al Di Meola - Larry Coryell guitars duet (beside keyboards).

Possibly not so deep experimental as Hancock's Trilogy, album sound is more accessible melting light funky rhythms with very innovative (for jazz fusion of mid 70-s) synth's airy constructions."Venusian Summer Suite" and "Prince Of The Sea" are both excellent examples of funky synth fusion from that time.

One of greatest Lenny's recordings, and really one of valuable fusion works from 70-s. Recommended to all jazz fusion fans. Lenny White's solo works has limited popularity, but this album could be a good entrance into his discography.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#271184) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 11, 2010

4 stars Enough talent to sink a battleship here on this exquisite 1976 debut from drummer Lenny White who was at the time fresh out of the recently disbanded Return To Forever. Al DiMeola and Larry Coryell duel it out on the closing track and it is probably the only time that they recorded together in th ... (read more)

Report this review (#421677) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Thursday, March 24, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LENNY WHITE "Venusian Summer"