VENUSIAN SUMMER

Lenny White

Lenny White Venusian Summer album cover

Buy LENNY WHITE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Chicken-Fried Steak (4:33)
2. Away Go Troubles (Down The Drain) (3:21)
3. The Venusian Summer Suite:
Part 1. Sirenes (4:28)
Part 2. Venusian Summer (6:38)
4. Prelude To Rainbow Delta (1:10)
5. Mating Drive (7:40)
6. Prince Of The Sea (11:37)

Search LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer lyrics

Search LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer tabs

Bass - Doug Rauch
Electric Piano, Clavinet - Onaje Allan Gumbs (tracks: A2, A4, B2, B3)
Engineer - Dennis MacKay
Guitar - Al Di Meola (tracks: B3) , Doug Rodrigues (tracks: A1, A2, B2) , Larry Coryell (tracks: B3) , Raymond Gomez (tracks: A1, B2)
Keyboards, Synthesizer - David Sancious (tracks: A2, A4)
Organ - Jimmy Smith (tracks: A1) , Larry Young (tracks: B2) , Weldon Irvine (tracks: A2)
Producer, Drums - Lenny White
Synthesizer - Patrick Gleeson (tracks: A3, A4, B1) , Peter Robinson (tracks: A3, A4)
Synthesizer, Flugelhorn - Tom Harrell (tracks: A3, B3)

LP : Nemperor Records NE 435 (US),ST-NE-753 475, ATL 50213 Atlantic (Germany), Atlantic K 50213 (UK), Atlantic 50.213 (France)

Re-released on CD by Wounded Bird Records WOU 435 (US)

Recorded June and August 1975, Electric Lady Studios, New York.
Orchestra sequences recorded at Different Fur, San Francisco

Thanks to snobb for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

LENNY WHITE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer Music

Lenny White LiveLenny White Live
Varese Sarabande 2013
The Adventures Of Astral PiratesThe Adventures Of Astral Pirates
Elektra
Vinyl$8.99 (used)
TWENNYNINE with LENNY WHITE KID STUFF SLIP AWAY EXCELLENT SINGLE FROM 1980 US $1.62 Buy It Now 2h 51m
WHITE LENNY - LENNY WHITE LIVE - CR73373 US $20.33 Buy It Now 3h 7m
1980 TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE - ELEKTRA - 6E-304 US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Lenny White 45 "Chicken-Fried Steak" - DJ Promo US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Lenny White ?- Streamline LP 1978 Elektra 164 VG++ Jazz Fusion Funk US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 59m
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE (WHITE LABEL PROMO) (6E-304) - RARITIES US $4.49 Buy It Now 7h 12m
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE 45 RPM RECORD US $1.00 [0 bids]
HOT JAZZ BISCUITS - DIGIPACK CD - HIP BOP,FUNK,LENNY WHITE,TOM BROWNE,URBANATOR US $1.62 [0 bids]
CHICK COREA/LENNY WH - FOREVER [CHICK COREA/LENNY WHITE/RETURN - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.73 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Soul 45 TWENNYNINE FEAT. LENNY WHITE Peanut Butter on Elektra US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Twennynine with Lenny White CD Just Like Dreamin Wounded Bird NEW SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
STANLEY CLARKE, CHILDREN OF FOREVER CHICK COREA, LENNY WHITE - VINYL LP PD5531 US $8.80 Buy It Now 13h 57m
TWENNYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE BEST OF FRIENDS ELEKTRA JAZZ LP US $6.00 [0 bids]
John Klemmer Arabesque LP 1978 VG++ PROMO Lenny White Alex Acuna Airto Laboriel US $2.99 Buy It Now 14h 54m
CHAKA KHAN-ECHOES OF AN ERA-ORIG. STEREO LP, LENNY WHITE, CHICK COREA ARRANGE US $9.99 [0 bids]
HAROLD ALEXANDER VG++ Raw Root SD-1657 Atlantic Lenny White Richard Davis vinyl US $29.95 Buy It Now 17h 22m
TWENNYNINE/LENNY WHITE Best of Friends LP VG+ US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 22m
LENNY WHITE/VARIOUS - HANCOCK ISLAND: THE MUSIC OF HERBIE HANCOCK - NEW CD US $15.76 Buy It Now 1 day
NOS LENNY WHITE ....... KID STUFF US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Twennynine with Lenny White just like dreamin' CD MINT US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NOS LENNY WHITE ......... BEST OF FRIENDS US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TWENNYNINE With Lenny White VINYL LP Elektra 1980 ~r US $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LENNY WHITE: The Advetures OF Astral Pirates LP ELEKTRA RECORDS 6E121 US 1978 NM US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Twennynine with Lenny White 45 Fancy Dancer/We had to Break rpm record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Twennynine with Lenny White 45 Peanut Butter / Oh Sylvie rpm record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Twennynine with Lenny White 45 Kid Stuff / Slip Away rpm record 7" vinyl US $2.50 Buy It Now 1 day
12" Lenny White Kid Stuff Elektra 11462 PROMO US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White 12" Single My Turn To Love You Elektra Records 1983 PROMO COPY US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE ~ Lady Madonna ~ 12" Single 1978 US $6.79 Buy It Now 2 days
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE Best of Friends 5E-223 LP Ad3932 US $9.99 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE Streamline LP jazz funk disco US $6.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Twennynine/Lenny White LP Best Of Friends US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JACO PASTORIUS "JACO" 1976 EPIC LENNY WHITE HANCOCK SHORTER BRECKER BRO'S LP VG+ US $19.99 [0 bids]
Voyceboxing GRP Release 1991 produced By Lenny White New and Sealed. US $3.95 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE, LP "Streamline", RARE white label PROMO orig, jazz drummer, EX US $5.98 [0 bids]
Soul 45 Twennynine With Lenny White - Kid Stuff / Slip Away On Elektra US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE - PRESENT TENSE - SAMPLER-CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Soul Nm! 45 Twennynine Featuring Lenny White - Oh, Sylvie / Peanut Butter On Ele US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White-Twennynine-Best Of Friends-LP-OG Sleeve-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $6.91 Buy It Now 2 days
Twennynine With Lenny White-LP-Elektra-6E 304-OG Sleeve-Shrink-Vinyl Record US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White - Eege (CD, 1999, Hip Bop) near mint US $9.95 [0 bids]
Lenny White-Big City-LP-Nemperor-NE 441-Vinyl Record US $5.51 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White LP Streamline Elektra USA 6E-164 US $2.43 [0 bids]
HAROLD ALEXANDER "Raw Root" orig '74 Atlantic LP (lenny white) US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Twennynine With Lenny White - Just Like Dreamin' NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 3 days
Andrei Kondakov, Igor Butman, Eddie Gomez, Lenny White - Blues for 4 Digipak CD US $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LA LA S/T + 7 Bonus tracks - CD 87 - KASHIF / LENNY WHITE - Great soul cd ! US $9.90 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE lady madonna 7" b/w 12 bars from mars (k12328) uk elektra 1978 US $8.09 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE lady madonna 7" white label test pressing b/w 12 bars from mars (k12 US $8.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Twennynine self-titled LP w/ Lenny White - German press - jazz/soul - VG+ US $4.25 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE Big City Awesome Jazz drummer LP in Shrink US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TWENNYNINE FEAT. LENNY WHITE-BEST OF FRIENDS-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B50 US $13.50 Buy It Now 3 days
TWENNYNINE With Lenny White LP 1980 US $3.99 [0 bids]
 LENNY WHITE: Venusian Summer factory sealed 8 Track by NEMPEROR RECORDS 1975 US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE MOVIN' ON 12" OG '81 WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA DISCO FUNK US $3.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE ALL I WANT 12" OG '81 WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA DISCO RAP US $3.99 [0 bids]
Dino Lenny - White Horses - Positiva - 1996 #91233 US $4.85 Buy It Now 4 days
Vertu (Stanley Clark/Lenny White) [CD New] US $37.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Miroslav Vitous Majesty Music LP VG/VG++ Lenny White US $9.00 Buy It Now 4 days
LENNY WHITE-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.85 Buy It Now 4 days
LENNY WHITE: The Adventures Of Astral Pirates LP (WLP, inner sleeve, gatefold c US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
TWENNYNINE & LENNY WHITE Self Titled ELEKTRA LP VG++/NM wlp US $8.00 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE Presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates ELEKTRA LP NM/VG++ US $8.00 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE Streamline ELEKTRA LP VG++ wlp US $8.00 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE "PROMO" Streamline P-10613E OBI LP Af6356 US $7.99 [0 bids]
1979 Twennynine Featuring Lenny White Peanut Butter Disco 12" Promo WLP US $3.99 [0 bids]
NEW Teruo Nakamura Unicorn Steve Grossman Lenny White Al Mouzon TBM JAZZ CD US $39.99 [0 bids]
SACD Teruo Nakamura Unicorn Steve Grossman Lenny White Al Mouzon MINI LP TBM US $59.99 [0 bids]
Lenny White "Sweet Dreamer - mono/stereo " Nemperor Promo US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Twennynine With Lenny White - My Melody/Love And Be Loved (7" Elektra E-47120) US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LENNY WHITE - LIVE [DIGIPAK] [LENNY WHITE] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $7.75 Buy It Now 4 days
VERT£ - VERTU (STANLEY CLARK/LENNY WHITE) (4988010778026) - NEW CD US $47.21 Buy It Now 5 days
HIP, BOP N COOL CD (Tom Browne/Urbanator/Dr Lonnie Smith/Lenny White) Jazz US $2.82 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE: My Turn To Love You / Same (soul vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine With Lenny White - Just Like Dreamin' - New LP in Original Loose Wrap US $26.00 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE Didn't Know About Love Till I Found You b/w Tell Him STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE Lady Madonna b/w 12 Bars From Mars STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DINO LENNY WHITE HORSES ( 9 TRACK CD SINGLE NEW ) US $7.30 Buy It Now 5 days
Gato Barbieri's Finest Hour - Randy Brecker, Ron Carter, Lenny White (Verve) LN US $4.25 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE - Chicken Fried Steak - JAZZ FUNK SOUL 45 - Nemperor US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White presents Adventures of LP gatefold 1978 US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE Best Of Friends ((**NEW 45 DJ**)) from 1979 US $4.95 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE - PRESENT TENSE 13tracks, 1996 JAPAN CD W/OBI OOP US $13.99 Buy It Now 5 days
NM 1980 Twennynine with Lenny White self-titled LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 6 days
1981 Twennynine w/Lenny White / Just Like Dreamin' LP . wlp US $6.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White Citi Dancin bw Same (mono) Elektra 46651 WLP US $4.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Twennynine with Lenny White Fancy Dancer bw Same (mono) ELK 47087 promo US $4.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Jamey Haddad, Lenny White & And Mark Sherman - Explorations In Space & (NEW CD) US $21.46 Buy It Now 6 days
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White Best of Friends US $8.62 Buy It Now 6 days
Lenny White Live by Lenny White *New CD* US $7.87 Buy It Now 6 days
LENNY WHITE - Peanut Butter - 12" Single PS US $6.47 Buy It Now 6 days
TWENNYNINE / LENNY WHITE - Peanut Butter - FUNK SOUL DISCO 12" Promo US $17.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Twennynine Lenny White vinyl LP 1980 Elektra Records VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Lenny White presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates LP promo US $16.20 Buy It Now 6 days
70'S SOUL, PEANUT BUTTER / SYLVIE. TWENNYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE. US $6.00 Buy It Now 6 days
JC~LP~TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Lenny White: The venusian summer suite / Chicken fried 7" 45rpm vinyl record 1c US $3.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Lenny White Lady Madonna 7" vinyl single record UK K12328 ELEKTRA 1978 US $17.75 Buy It Now 6 days
VERTU-S.T-STANLEY CLARKE-LENNY WHITE-RARE JAPAN RELEASE-OBI-SONY ESCA 7780- US $35.00 Buy It Now 7 days
WHITE,LENNY-LENNY WHITE LIVE CD NEW US $13.00 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy LENNY WHITE music online Buy LENNY WHITE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LENNY WHITE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer ratings distribution

LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer reviews

Review by Logan
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Forum Moderator
4 stars Men are from Mars, sexy women are from Venus ... it being summer, they can forego clothes... I've always been interested in astronomy and have often trained my telescope on Venus, beats looking at Uranus, so I do know what I'm talking about, butt I digress.

Speaking of Venusians, what a beautiful album cover. It's the kind of imagery that I would like to paint on the side of my van cum love-mobile. It has wall-to-wall carpeting by the way -- I better stop this train of thought now before this review, I use the term loosely, gets completely off the wall and I get put up against the wall.

Lenny White is the drummer who played on the seminal album by Miles Davis, "Bitches Brew", and also played on the most excellent, musically better than "Bitches Brew" in my opinion, "Red Clay" by Freddie Hubbard. He also performed on Eddie Henderson's masterpiece, and I believe one of the greatest albums in JRF, "Realization" (which is what initially drew me to explore Lenny White albums). In fact, Lenny White has played with a great many of the jazz, and jazz fusion greats such as Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Buster Williams, Eddie Henderson, Billy Hart, Benny Maupin, Ron Carter, Joe Henderson, various Return to Forever guys obviously, but we forgive him ;), and Larry Coryell. This album and "Adventures of Astral Pirates" are my favourites under his name.

What particularly makes this album special is the "Venusian Summer Suite", and how sweet it is! It ranks amongst my favourite pieces of music in the jazz-rock universe, and this is the heart of the album. It starts off in an electronic, cosmic, and beautiful manner that is reminiscent of western art music composers such as Holst and Debussy (in fact, I thought I recognised the specific theme -- maybe not that original but still so wonderful). It is very much a Dr. Patrick Gleeson slice and it is his contribution that makes the opening so superb. It transitions fantastically into stirring, exciting, exhilarating (now I'm being really exasperating) jazz-funk. What a great track; one of the best in jazz-rock/electronic, and it should appeal to those who love music such as Herbie Hancock's "Sextant" and "Crossings" as well as Bennie Maupin albums -- adding this suite to a cosmic funk session (playlist) with tracks such as Bennie Maupin's 'Quasar' (the version from "Slow Traffic to the Right"), Eddie Henderson's 'Galaxy' off "Sunburst", 'Languidity' from Sun-Ra, and similar funky cosmic excursions is an epic thing to do.

If the whole album was up to the standards of the "Venusian Summer Suite" this album would get a five from me. It's not, but there is more to get pretty excited about.

"Chicken Fried Steak" and "Away Goes Trouble Down the Train" is good, fun and enjoyable, but nothing terribly remarkable. Pretty standard bluesy jazz-rock and rather boring for me. If you like electric guitar-oriented music and pretty bog-standard blues and rock-and-roll, this might hold considerable appeal. I still find it fun, but while these these pieces have their moments, I have tended to skip them. Still, it presents another side to the music and gives contrast, so as part of the album package, it makes the album better. Erm, sort of. Still, not the greatest start for an album for me. Of course things soon improve with the 'suite' that follows.

"Prelude to a Rainbow Delta", another very Gleesonish work (I'm pretty sure Gleeson composed it as well as performed), is a wonderful and short ambient electronic piece. It's reminiscent of Tangerine Dream and ilk (also hear such forays with Art Zoyd and Patricia Dallio's electronic work).

"Mating Drive" is terrific, driving JRF which starts off in the electronic world like "Venusian Summer Suite" then picks up steam -- strong technical drumming by White if not terribly imaginative (his drumming, though good technically does generally fail to particularly appeal as I don't find him to be a very creative drummer). Still, a damned fine "rockin" piece with enough jazz-funk to satisfy.

The final track, "Prince of the Sea" is also very good and rockin' jazz-rock (maybe a little too rockin'/ electric guitar oriented for me). Hardly a favourite track in jazz-rock fusion, but well-done. I wish it had more of an experimental edge, but very good never-the-less for what it is. I do wish it had more subtlety; however, it is still an excellent piece of jazz-rock and definitely enjoyable for me. I expect this would be the highlight of the album for quite a few. If you love Al Di Meola's electric guitar style, and like shredding or whatever you'd call this guitar-style. then you'll love this. This is the track I'd recommend to those into power metal and guitar hero music since the guitar style is reminiscent of shredding and hints of Eddie van Halen et cetera. I love the way it ends with a gong and seagulls -- pretty Zen (and maybe a touch cliché)

I'm giving this album a four because I do think it's very well-executed and it has some great music on it. Just for the "Venusian Summer Suite" alone I think this is pretty essential. Lowlights for me include guitar-work which is just not altogether my style (Coryell does good work on this, but I feel like Al Di Meola is not that 'elegant' here). The highlights include the electronics, great jazz-funk, and fine keyboard work.

On the whole I prefer "Astral Pirates," but this has such great music included that this is the most essential work I've heard from Lenny White's self-named albums. However, it has too many "mainstream" moments for me to consider this whole work amazing and, as if with a lot of jazz-rock, the compositions can suffer from overdone instrumental showmanship.

One I'd definitely recommend to many, but not so much, considering the bulk of the album, to those who prefer their jazz more experimental (as I often do). If you're more mainstream-oriented, then this could appeal hugely and open up new musical passions, but there's music for most everyone to really enjoy.

Send comments to Logan (BETA) | Report this review (#270554) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars Lenny White recorded his solo debut still being a RTF drummer. But the music there isn't too much connected with RTF works. Yes, it is jazz fusion, but more similar to Herbie Hancock albums from early 70-s.

Lenny White is not a second Billy Cobham, but he is very competent and has great funk feeling. So, the album opener is funky fusion composition. But even if some funk is presented in more places there on the album, very important are both keyboards and guitars ( on few compositions). Spacey synthesizers (not in a manner of many electronic space bands, but very dreamy, atmospheric, heavily influenced by Hancock Mwandishi trilogy sound) build bigger part of album's music. Only final composition is filled with Al Di Meola - Larry Coryell guitars duet (beside keyboards).

Possibly not so deep experimental as Hancock's Trilogy, album sound is more accessible melting light funky rhythms with very innovative (for jazz fusion of mid 70-s) synth's airy constructions."Venusian Summer Suite" and "Prince Of The Sea" are both excellent examples of funky synth fusion from that time.

One of greatest Lenny's recordings, and really one of valuable fusion works from 70-s. Recommended to all jazz fusion fans. Lenny White's solo works has limited popularity, but this album could be a good entrance into his discography.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#271184) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 11, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Lenny White's debut solo album injects hot, sleazy funk into a sizzling jazz fusion context. It's not quite as polished, cutting-edge, or packed with surprises as, say, Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi albums - or even Hancock's more commercial Head Hunters offerings - but it's a solid listen which vividly evokes its era. You'd never mistake this for music from even a few years earlier or later; it reeks of the mid-1970s so distinctively that if you play it for too long you end up with Gerald Ford in the White House and gas shortages at the pumps. Play when you want jazz fusion which could serve as a porn soundtrack.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1195708) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 18, 2014

4 stars Enough talent to sink a battleship here on this exquisite 1976 debut from drummer Lenny White who was at the time fresh out of the recently disbanded Return To Forever. Al DiMeola and Larry Coryell duel it out on the closing track and it is probably the only time that they recorded together in th ... (read more)

Report this review (#421677) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Thursday, March 24, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LENNY WHITE "Venusian Summer"