VENUSIAN SUMMER

Lenny White

Lenny White Venusian Summer album cover

Buy LENNY WHITE Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Chicken-Fried Steak (4:33)
2. Away Go Troubles (Down The Drain) (3:21)
3. The Venusian Summer Suite:
Part 1. Sirenes (4:28)
Part 2. Venusian Summer (6:38)
4. Prelude To Rainbow Delta (1:10)
5. Mating Drive (7:40)
6. Prince Of The Sea (11:37)

Search LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer lyrics

Search LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer tabs

Bass - Doug Rauch
Electric Piano, Clavinet - Onaje Allan Gumbs (tracks: A2, A4, B2, B3)
Engineer - Dennis MacKay
Guitar - Al Di Meola (tracks: B3) , Doug Rodrigues (tracks: A1, A2, B2) , Larry Coryell (tracks: B3) , Raymond Gomez (tracks: A1, B2)
Keyboards, Synthesizer - David Sancious (tracks: A2, A4)
Organ - Jimmy Smith (tracks: A1) , Larry Young (tracks: B2) , Weldon Irvine (tracks: A2)
Producer, Drums - Lenny White
Synthesizer - Patrick Gleeson (tracks: A3, A4, B1) , Peter Robinson (tracks: A3, A4)
Synthesizer, Flugelhorn - Tom Harrell (tracks: A3, B3)

LP : Nemperor Records NE 435 (US),ST-NE-753 475, ATL 50213 Atlantic (Germany), Atlantic K 50213 (UK), Atlantic 50.213 (France)

Re-released on CD by Wounded Bird Records WOU 435 (US)

Recorded June and August 1975, Electric Lady Studios, New York.
Orchestra sequences recorded at Different Fur, San Francisco

Thanks to snobb for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

LENNY WHITE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer Music

The Adventures of Astral PiratesThe Adventures of Astral Pirates
Wounded Bird Records 2002
PHOTOGRAPH OF LENNY WHITE GOOD CONDITION US $1.64 [0 bids]
1h
FREDDIE HUBBARD Live at Village Vanguard Cedar Walton Lenny White laserdisc LD US $19.97 Buy It Now 1h
LENNY WHITE: Big City LP Jazz US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
LENNY WHITE: Attitude LP (WLP, promo stamp obc, sl corner bend) Soul US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Lenny White- "Attitude" Elektra 60232-PROMO-"WHITE" LABEL 1983 12" LP US $3.25 [0 bids]
MIROSLAV VITOUS Majesty Music Lenny White Jaroslav Jakubovic Arista LP US $19.97 Buy It Now 6h 27m
JACO PASTORIUS "JACO" 1976 EPIC LENNY WHITE HANCOCK SHORTER BRECKER BRO'S LP VG+ US $19.99 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE VENUSIAN SUMMER 0698 LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Stanley Clarke & Lenny White Autographs Vertu Jazz Fusion band promo card 1999 US $40.97 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Twennynine with Lenny White "Just Like Dreamin'" 5E-5551 12" LP NM US $6.99 Buy It Now 19h 59m
TWENNYNINE with LENNY WHITE Just Like Dreamin' ELEKTRA LP '81 OG US $1.99 [0 bids]
LA LA S/T + 7 Bonus tracks - CD 87 - KASHIF / LENNY WHITE - Great soul cd ! US $9.90 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE - ATTITUDE - CD 83 - CD OOP - Great soul cd ! US $9.90 [0 bids]
lenny white-elektra-atitude US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE JUST LIKE DREAMIN' 1981 LP VINYL *Nr Mint* USA ELEKTRA US $16.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Lenny White - PRESENT TENSE - Import Jazz Retuen To Forever Signed 2 LP US $324.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Twennynine Lenny White: Oh sylvie / Peanut butter 7" 45rpm vinyl record 3c US $1.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LENNY WHITE: Streamline (soul vinyl LP) v. sl cw, sm wol US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
12" - LENNY WHITE - DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT LOVE (TILL I FOUND YOU)/TELL HIM - 1983 US $2.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE s/t LP 10 track with inner and 2 track bonus 12 US $8.80 Buy It Now 1 day
ECHOES OF AN ERA~CHAKA KHAN / STANLEY CLARKE / CHICK COREA / LENNY WHITE~JAZZ LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
Lenny White ?- Didn't Know About Love 12" PROMO SOUL~FUNK 1983 US $5.99 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE BIG CITY ELEKTRA P-10322A Japan PROMO OBI Vinyl LP US $0.99 [1 bids]
LENNY WHITE STREAMLINE ELEKTRA P-10613E Japan PROMO OBI Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE - Big City LP 1977 NM SOUL FUNK JAZZ NE 441 US $10.04 Buy It Now 2 days
Tennynine With Lenny White My Melody 7" 45 Elektra E-47120 1980 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE (WHITE LABEL PROMO) (6E-304) - RARITIES US $4.49 [0 bids]
Twennynine with Lenny White LP Just Like Dreamin US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE -- Big City -- 1977 LP release US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
TWENNYNINE with LENNY WHITE My Melody b/w Love and Be Loved STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Prince on Blues & Soul Cover Issue 324 1981 Rose Royce Sharon Redd Lenny White US $16.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White-Twennynine-Best Of Friends-LP-OG Sleeve-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $3.49 [0 bids]
Lenny White-Big City-LP-Nemperor-NE 441-Vinyl Record US $3.49 [0 bids]
Soul Promo 45 LENNY WHITE Universal Love on Elektra (PR US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LENNY WHITE kidd stuff 12" 2 trk rapp version b/w version featuring lenny white, US $15.90 Buy It Now 2 days
BOOGIE/ Twennynine With Lenny White - All I Want / Twennynine Rap (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BOOGIE/ Lenny White - Heavy Metal Monster / Stew / Astral Pirates (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BOOGIE/ Lenny White - Kid Stuff (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Just Like Dreamin, Twennynine With Lenny White, , Very Good US $15.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Lenny White 70s JAZZ LP Adventures of Astral Pirates US $13.98 Buy It Now 2 days
TWENNYNINE FEAT. LENNY WHITE-BEST OF FRIENDS 1979 ELEKTRA REC. 6E-223 VG+-VG++ US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LUIS GASCA Joe Henderson Carlos Santana LP Stanley Clarke Lenny White US $22.97 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE lady madonna 12" 2 trk special limited edition b/w 12 bars from mars US $8.18 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE lady madonna 12" 2 trk b/w 12 bars from mars but has radio station w US $8.18 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE-BIG CITY-LP ( PROMO ) US $0.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE MOVIN' ON 12" OG '81 WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA DISCO FUNK US $3.99 [0 bids]
Kazumi Watanabe,Lonesome Cat,George Cables,Cecil McBee,Lenny White,Japan CD OOP  US $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
x3 LENNY WHITE Streamline + Twennynine + Venusian Summer SEALED LP Vinyl Records US $112.00 Buy It Now 3 days
TWENNYNINE LENNY WHITE ALL I WANT 12" OG '81 WHITE LABEL PROMO ELEKTRA DISCO RAP US $3.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE BEST OF FRIENDS ELEKTRA JAZZ LP US $6.00 [0 bids]
Lenny White,CD,Edge US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE HEAVY METAL MONSTER 12" white label promo EXCELLENT VINYL condition US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
LENNY WHITE: The Adventures Of Astral Pirates (soul vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Twennynine With Lenny White LP VG+/EX 1980 Jazz Funk US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
FUSE ONE - s/t (1980 JAZZ FUNK SOUL) Stanley Clarke Lenny White Larry Coryell US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LENNY WHITE My Turn To Love You 12" single Elektra ED 4921 (1983) promo US $6.79 Buy It Now 4 days
John Klemmer Arabesque LP 1978 VG++ PROMO Lenny White Alex Acuna Airto Laboriel US $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Explorations of Space and Time by Jamey Haddad/Lenny White/Mark Sherman (CD,... US $10.02 Buy It Now 4 days
Lenny White Renderers Of Spirit CD album (CDLP) UK HIBD8014 SILVA SCREEN 1996 US $17.21 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW - Anomaly by Lenny White US $9.96 Buy It Now 4 days
Lenny White Presents The Adventures Of Astral Pirates LP - Gatefold Cover US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE 45 RPM RECORD US $1.00 [0 bids]
Lenny White-Peanut butter-1980 12" single US $8.18 Buy It Now 5 days
TWENNYNINE FEAT. LENNY WHITE-BEST OF FRIENDS-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B50 US $14.50 Buy It Now 5 days
CHICK COREA/STANLEY CLARKE/LENNY WHITE**FOREVER**2 CD'S US $13.63 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine with Lenny White CD Just Like Dreamin Wounded Bird NEW SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE my melody 12" RECORD PROMO US $9.75 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE**LIVE (DIGI)**CD US $12.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Soul 45 TWENTYNINE FEATURING LENNY WHITE Peanut Butter on Elektra US $5.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine With Lenny White LP Rare Promo s US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
WAX - GET LOOSE / DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC - 12" FUNK DISCO - 1981 - LENNY WHITE US $9.82 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE - LENNY WHITE LIVE (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.33 Buy It Now 5 days
LENNY WHITE LP RECORD, STREAMLINE US $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White : Renderers of Spirit CD (1997) US $8.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Gato Barbieri - Ruby Ruby 1977 A&M vinyl Herb Alpert Lee Ritenour Lenny White US $11.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Don Cherry,Tony Williams,Michael Brecker,Lenny White,Marcus Miller "Hear and Now US $29.80 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White Peanut Butter E-46552 Elektra (VG+) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bill Ware Played Right Japan CD Lenny White US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White Renderers of Spirit Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White - Best Of Friends 1979 CD Wounded Bird OOP !! US $39.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Twennynine Featuring Lenny White - Best Of Friends 1979 Japan CD w/OBI Rare OOP US $59.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White - Attitude 1983 Japan CD w/OBI US $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Lenny White Venusian Summer 1975 Record LP Album US $6.00 Buy It Now 5 days
45rpm~TWENNYNINE/Lenny White~Peanut Butter/Oh,Sylvie?E-46552?Vinyl 7" Record?EXC US $2.75 Buy It Now 5 days
Chartbusters! by Dr. Lonnie Smith, John Scofield, Craig Handy and Lenny White US $9.99 [0 bids]
Lenny White - Lenny White Live [CD New] US $10.52 Buy It Now 5 days
Voyceboxing GRP Release 1991 produced By Lenny White New and Sealed. US $3.95 [0 bids]
1983 FUNK SOUL DISCO Lenny White Attitude Vinyl LP @ US $2.25 [0 bids]
LENNY WHITE : ASTRAL PIRATES (6E121) - RARITIES US $4.49 [0 bids]
TWENNYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE Lp RECORD DISCO FUNK SOUL JAZZ 1980 near mint PROMO! US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Twennynine feat. Lenny White-Lot of 2 LPS-Best Of Friends /Funk-Soul/Lenny White US $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
The Adventures of Astral Pirates- Lenny White (CD, 2002) Rare Wounded Bird!!! US $4.99 [1 bids]
CD: The LENNY WHITE Collection US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
LENNY WHITE big city LP VG NE 441 Vinyl 1977 Record US $4.80 Buy It Now 6 days
RARE Twennynine with Lenny White 12" LP Just Like Dreamin' WHITE LABEL A+ US $21.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Voyceboxing- self titled- new/sealed cassette tape- Lenny White US $2.50 Buy It Now 6 days
Jaco Pastorius Japan CD Herbie Hancock Wayne Shorter Lenny White US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TWENTYNINE WITH LENNY WHITE - FANCY DANCER - DJ-7" SINGLE 45RPM RARE US $7.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Lenny White - Attitude CD US $14.41 Buy It Now 6 days
RICK DELLARATTA THOUGHT PROVOKING SEALED CD LENNY WHITE DAVE LIEBMAN EDDIE GOMEZ US $4.87 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy LENNY WHITE music online Buy LENNY WHITE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LENNY WHITE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer ratings distribution

LENNY WHITE Venusian Summer reviews

Review by Logan
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Forum Moderator
4 stars Men are from Mars, sexy women are from Venus ... it being summer, they can forego clothes... I've always been interested in astronomy and have often trained my telescope on Venus, beats looking at Uranus, so I do know what I'm talking about, butt I digress.

Speaking of Venusians, what a beautiful album cover. It's the kind of imagery that I would like to paint on the side of my van cum love-mobile. It has wall-to-wall carpeting by the way -- I better stop this train of thought now before this review, I use the term loosely, gets completely off the wall and I get put up against the wall.

Lenny White is the drummer who played on the seminal album by Miles Davis, "Bitches Brew", and also played on the most excellent, musically better than "Bitches Brew" in my opinion, "Red Clay" by Freddie Hubbard. He also performed on Eddie Henderson's masterpiece, and I believe one of the greatest albums in JRF, "Realization" (which is what initially drew me to explore Lenny White albums). In fact, Lenny White has played with a great many of the jazz, and jazz fusion greats such as Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Buster Williams, Eddie Henderson, Billy Hart, Benny Maupin, Ron Carter, Joe Henderson, various Return to Forever guys obviously, but we forgive him ;), and Larry Coryell. This album and "Adventures of Astral Pirates" are my favourites under his name.

What particularly makes this album special is the "Venusian Summer Suite", and how sweet it is! It ranks amongst my favourite pieces of music in the jazz-rock universe, and this is the heart of the album. It starts off in an electronic, cosmic, and beautiful manner that is reminiscent of western art music composers such as Holst and Debussy (in fact, I thought I recognised the specific theme -- maybe not that original but still so wonderful). It is very much a Dr. Patrick Gleeson slice and it is his contribution that makes the opening so superb. It transitions fantastically into stirring, exciting, exhilarating (now I'm being really exasperating) jazz-funk. What a great track; one of the best in jazz-rock/electronic, and it should appeal to those who love music such as Herbie Hancock's "Sextant" and "Crossings" as well as Bennie Maupin albums -- adding this suite to a cosmic funk session (playlist) with tracks such as Bennie Maupin's 'Quasar' (the version from "Slow Traffic to the Right"), Eddie Henderson's 'Galaxy' off "Sunburst", 'Languidity' from Sun-Ra, and similar funky cosmic excursions is an epic thing to do.

If the whole album was up to the standards of the "Venusian Summer Suite" this album would get a five from me. It's not, but there is more to get pretty excited about.

"Chicken Fried Steak" and "Away Goes Trouble Down the Train" is good, fun and enjoyable, but nothing terribly remarkable. Pretty standard bluesy jazz-rock and rather boring for me. If you like electric guitar-oriented music and pretty bog-standard blues and rock-and-roll, this might hold considerable appeal. I still find it fun, but while these these pieces have their moments, I have tended to skip them. Still, it presents another side to the music and gives contrast, so as part of the album package, it makes the album better. Erm, sort of. Still, not the greatest start for an album for me. Of course things soon improve with the 'suite' that follows.

"Prelude to a Rainbow Delta", another very Gleesonish work (I'm pretty sure Gleeson composed it as well as performed), is a wonderful and short ambient electronic piece. It's reminiscent of Tangerine Dream and ilk (also hear such forays with Art Zoyd and Patricia Dallio's electronic work).

"Mating Drive" is terrific, driving JRF which starts off in the electronic world like "Venusian Summer Suite" then picks up steam -- strong technical drumming by White if not terribly imaginative (his drumming, though good technically does generally fail to particularly appeal as I don't find him to be a very creative drummer). Still, a damned fine "rockin" piece with enough jazz-funk to satisfy.

The final track, "Prince of the Sea" is also very good and rockin' jazz-rock (maybe a little too rockin'/ electric guitar oriented for me). Hardly a favourite track in jazz-rock fusion, but well-done. I wish it had more of an experimental edge, but very good never-the-less for what it is. I do wish it had more subtlety; however, it is still an excellent piece of jazz-rock and definitely enjoyable for me. I expect this would be the highlight of the album for quite a few. If you love Al Di Meola's electric guitar style, and like shredding or whatever you'd call this guitar-style. then you'll love this. This is the track I'd recommend to those into power metal and guitar hero music since the guitar style is reminiscent of shredding and hints of Eddie van Halen et cetera. I love the way it ends with a gong and seagulls -- pretty Zen (and maybe a touch cliché)

I'm giving this album a four because I do think it's very well-executed and it has some great music on it. Just for the "Venusian Summer Suite" alone I think this is pretty essential. Lowlights for me include guitar-work which is just not altogether my style (Coryell does good work on this, but I feel like Al Di Meola is not that 'elegant' here). The highlights include the electronics, great jazz-funk, and fine keyboard work.

On the whole I prefer "Astral Pirates," but this has such great music included that this is the most essential work I've heard from Lenny White's self-named albums. However, it has too many "mainstream" moments for me to consider this whole work amazing and, as if with a lot of jazz-rock, the compositions can suffer from overdone instrumental showmanship.

One I'd definitely recommend to many, but not so much, considering the bulk of the album, to those who prefer their jazz more experimental (as I often do). If you're more mainstream-oriented, then this could appeal hugely and open up new musical passions, but there's music for most everyone to really enjoy.

Send comments to Logan (BETA) | Report this review (#270554) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 08, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars Lenny White recorded his solo debut still being a RTF drummer. But the music there isn't too much connected with RTF works. Yes, it is jazz fusion, but more similar to Herbie Hancock albums from early 70-s.

Lenny White is not a second Billy Cobham, but he is very competent and has great funk feeling. So, the album opener is funky fusion composition. But even if some funk is presented in more places there on the album, very important are both keyboards and guitars ( on few compositions). Spacey synthesizers (not in a manner of many electronic space bands, but very dreamy, atmospheric, heavily influenced by Hancock Mwandishi trilogy sound) build bigger part of album's music. Only final composition is filled with Al Di Meola - Larry Coryell guitars duet (beside keyboards).

Possibly not so deep experimental as Hancock's Trilogy, album sound is more accessible melting light funky rhythms with very innovative (for jazz fusion of mid 70-s) synth's airy constructions."Venusian Summer Suite" and "Prince Of The Sea" are both excellent examples of funky synth fusion from that time.

One of greatest Lenny's recordings, and really one of valuable fusion works from 70-s. Recommended to all jazz fusion fans. Lenny White's solo works has limited popularity, but this album could be a good entrance into his discography.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#271184) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 11, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Lenny White's debut solo album injects hot, sleazy funk into a sizzling jazz fusion context. It's not quite as polished, cutting-edge, or packed with surprises as, say, Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi albums - or even Hancock's more commercial Head Hunters offerings - but it's a solid listen which vividly evokes its era. You'd never mistake this for music from even a few years earlier or later; it reeks of the mid-1970s so distinctively that if you play it for too long you end up with Gerald Ford in the White House and gas shortages at the pumps. Play when you want jazz fusion which could serve as a porn soundtrack.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1195708) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 18, 2014

4 stars Enough talent to sink a battleship here on this exquisite 1976 debut from drummer Lenny White who was at the time fresh out of the recently disbanded Return To Forever. Al DiMeola and Larry Coryell duel it out on the closing track and it is probably the only time that they recorded together in th ... (read more)

Report this review (#421677) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Thursday, March 24, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LENNY WHITE "Venusian Summer"