MASHMAKHAN

Prog Folk

Mashmakhan Mashmakhan album cover

Buy MASHMAKHAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

A1 Days When We Are Free (6:12)
A2 I Know I've Been Wrong (4:56)
A3 As The Years Go By (3:06)
A4 Shades of Loneliness (4:56)
A5 Afraid of Losing You (4:12)
B1 Gladwin (4:24)
B2 If I Tried (4:34)
B3 Happy You Should Be (3:57)
B4 Nature's Love Song (3:50)
B5 Letter From Zambia (6:19)

Pierre Senecal / keyboards, sax, flute

MashmakhanMashmakhan
Epic
Mashmakhan / FamilyMashmakhan / Family
Collectables 1999
Mashmakhan: As the Years Go By B/w Days When We Are FreeMashmakhan: As the Years Go By B/w Days When We Are Free
Original recording
Epic Records

Mashmakhan As Years Go By NM/Days When We Are Free NM 1970 Rock 45 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 12h
Mashmakhan . Dance A Little Step / One Night Stand . Aquarius 45 USD $7.46 Buy It Now 12h 35m
MASHMAKHAN AS THE YEARS GO BY / DAYS WHEN WE ARE FREE COLUMBIA CANADA IMPORT VG+ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Mashmakhan As The Years Go By / Days When We Are Free 7" Epic 5-10634 Psych USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Mashmakhan ?- Dance A Little Step - 45 Jamie J 1418 Rock VG++ USD $10.50 Buy It Now 19h 45m
7" SINGLE / MASHMAKHAN / AS THE YEARS GO BY / CBS SONY JAPAN USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mashmakhan ?The Family NEW SEALED Folk Prog Electric Blues Psychedelic Rock Lp USD $56.56 [0 bids]
Mashmakhan As The Years Go By / Days When We Are Free RARE 45RPM Canada VG+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MASHMAKHAN - As the Years go By / Scarce Japanese Single USD $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Vintage 7's Ep Mashmakhan Record Vinyl Israel press PSYCH Rare USD $35.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CHRISTIE - YELLOW RIVER / MASHMAKHAN - AS THE YEARS GO BY "JUKEBOX" 45 UNPLAYED USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CHRISTIE - YELLOW RIVER / MASHMAKHAN - AS THE YEARS GO BY "JUKEBOX" 45 EXCELLENT USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
CD by MASHMAKHAN / THE FAMILY / COL-CD-6063 USD $79.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mashmakhan ?- Mashmakhan LP E 30235 / 1970 Rock USD $28.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mashmakhan, As The Years Go By ~ 1970 Epic 45 +sleeve USD $3.77 Buy It Now 4 days
PROMO Mashmakhan "The Family" LP 1971 Epic Records #E 30813 / Vinyl Folk Rock USD $19.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Mashmakhan - As The Years Go By 1970 7" Record 45rpm Epic 5-10634 US USD $4.99 [0 bids]
MASHMAKHAN 7" Japan GLADWIN Canadian rock USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
PROMO WHITE LABEL / MASHMAKHAN THE FAMILY / JPN GATEFOLD COVER USD $149.99 Buy It Now 6 days
CHRISTIE //bw// MASHMAKHAN (Yellow River //bw// As The Years Go By) REISSUE USD $3.80 Buy It Now 6 days
MASHMAKHAN CHILDREN OF THE SUN 7" 45 RPM 1971 COLUMBIA C4-2960 COME AGAIN PSYCH USD $8.20 Buy It Now 6 days
MASHMAKHAN - Self Titled (1970) Vinyl, LP Epic E30235 Opened Shrink! Psych Rock USD $45.00 Buy It Now 6 days
EP MASHMAKHAN DAYS WHEN WE ARE FREE CBSA82079 from Japan 0001 USD $4.80 Buy It Now 7 days
MASHMAKHAN / CHRISTIE As The Years Go By/Yellow River 7" VINYL USA Memory Lane USD $5.25 Buy It Now 7 days
Mashmakhan 45 AS THE YEARS GO BY bw DAYS WHEN WE ARE FREE Epic VG TO VG+ USD $4.50 Buy It Now 8 days
MASHMAKHAN AS THE YEARS GO BY JAPAN 7" P/S USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
45RPM, MASHMAKHAN ' AS THE YEARS GO BY ' EXC ' PSYCH ' FOLK ROCK USD $3.88 Buy It Now 10 days
Mashmakhan / Dixie - As The Years Go By - TWO GROUPS, POP, SINGLE USD $9.98 Buy It Now 11 days
MASHMAKHAN -(45)- AS THE YEARS GO BY / DAYS WHEN WE ARE FREE - EPIC - 10634-1970 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 11 days
"7"-Mashmakhan-As the Years Go By~Rare Canadian 60's Psych garage~japanese Issue USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Mashmakhan "Days When We Are Free/As The Years Go By" 45 USD $2.72 Buy It Now 12 days
MASHMAKHAN: Segun Pasan Los Anos 45 (Spain, PS, sl cw) Rock & Pop USD $12.00 Buy It Now 13 days
MASHMAKHAN, AS THE YEARS GO BY b/w CHRISTIE, YELLOW RIVER, re-issue 45rpm, MINT- USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13 days
MASHMAKHAN: Gladwin / Nature's Love Song 45 (Japan, folded insert PS, no center USD $18.00 Buy It Now 13 days
MASHMAKHAN AS THE YEARS GO BY/DAYS WHEN WE ARE FREE EPIC 10634 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 13 days
As the Years Go By B/w Days When We Are Free, Mashmakhan,Good, #### 45 RPM , 7" USD $9.49 Buy It Now 13 days
Mashmakhan - As The Years Go By / Days When We Are Free 7" VG+ 5-10634 Vinyl 45 USD $3.75 Buy It Now 13 days
MASHMAKHAN '' AS THE YEARS GO BY '' ORIG.1970 45RPM (GARAGE) VG++ USD $2.19 Buy It Now 15 days
MASHMAKHAN - Mashmakhan / Family - CD - **Excellent Condition** - RARE USD $95.95 Buy It Now 16 days
45 Mashmakhan / As The Years Go By / Christie / Yellow River / EX USD $4.76 Buy It Now 16 days
Mashmakhan vg+-ex promo 7 As Tears go By / Days When we are Free USD $4.49 Buy It Now 16 days
MASHMAKHAN "AS THE YEARS GO BY / DAYS WHEN WE ARE FREE" 45 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 17 days
MASHMAKHAN - As The Years Goes By / Gladwin Japan 7" Vinyl ECPB-245 Japan USD $5.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Mashmakhan The Family LP Vinyl Turntable Record ES-90000 USD $33.59 Buy It Now 18 days
MASHMAKHAN GLADWIN JAPAN 7" P/S CBSA 82095 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 19 days
MASHMAKHAN CHILDREN OF THE SUN JAPAN 7" P/S CBSA 82111-E USD $9.99 Buy It Now 19 days
MASHMAKHAN - The Family & Mashmakhan (2 LP's On One CD) (1991 CD) USD $34.99 Buy It Now 19 days
MASHMAKHAN 7" PS Japan AS THE YEARS GO BY a0546 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 19 days
MASHMAKHAN as the years go by /days when we are free EPIC 45 USD $1.89 Buy It Now 19 days
MASHMAKHAN Gladwin CBSA82095 JAPAN 7" 080az36 USD $10.99 Buy It Now 20 days
Christie: Yellow River B/w Mashmakhan: As the Years Go By, Mashmakhan, Christie, USD $10.99 Buy It Now 20 days
MASHMAKHAN As The Years Go By/Days When We Are Free 45 RPM Epic Records USD $7.00 Buy It Now 20 days
MASHMAKHAN: Greatest Hits 45 (Japan EP, PC, insert) Rock & Pop USD $35.00 Buy It Now 20 days
45 7" MASHMAKHAN As The Years Go By/Days When We Are Free CANADA C4-2924 VG+ USD $5.00 Buy It Now 20 days
MASHMAKHAN 7" PS Japan AS THE YEARS GO BY USD $6.00 Buy It Now 21 days
*MASHMAKHAN Start all over /Couldn't find Ex to NM- CANADA ONLY 1971 PSYCH 45 USD $11.19 Buy It Now 22 days
As The Years Go By / Yellow River 7 : Mashmakhan USD $3.76 Buy It Now 22 days
MASHMAKHAN: As The Years Go By / Days When We Are Free 45 (Japan, PS insert, in USD $8.00 Buy It Now 22 days
MASHMAKHAN S/T LP Epic Rec. E-30235 US 1970 VG++ RARE PSYCH 1A USD $23.98 Buy It Now 23 days
CHRISTIE Yellow River b/w MASHMAKHAN As The Years Go By 45 RPM Epic EX JB Strip USD $1.99 Buy It Now 26 days
45 MASHMAKHAN Epic 10634 PROMO As The Years Go By SOUL USD $9.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Mashmakhan Stereo E 30235 LP Epic USD $10.00 Buy It Now 26 days
w SLEEVE Mashmakhan Children of the Sun 1971 Import 45rpm VG++ GARAGE USD $11.99 Buy It Now 27 days
MASHMAKHAN come again / children of the sun COLUMBIA 45 USD $9.49 Buy It Now 27 days
Mashmakhan Self Titled 1970 USA Epic LP In Shrink Wrap NM- USD $25.00 Buy It Now 27 days
Mashmakhan ?- Mashmakhan USD $250.00 Buy It Now 27 days
MASHMAKHAN As The Tears Go By 60s Malaysia Singapore CBS Ep 45rpm not Beatles USD $99.99 Buy It Now 28 days
MASHMAKHAN Dance a little step /One night stand Ex CANADA 1973 AQUARIUS 45 USD $13.43 Buy It Now 28 days
MASHMAKHAN As The Years Go By JAPAN 7" 06SP93 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Mashmakhan 45 As The Years Go By bw Days When we Are Free Epic VG USD $3.00 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy MASHMAKHAN music online Buy MASHMAKHAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MASHMAKHAN Mashmakhan ratings distribution

MASHMAKHAN Mashmakhan reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

Just a normal psych-prog rock album of the times, Mashmakhan's debut had the chance to have one of that year's better hit single in its track list. But the problem of a 45 RPM is that it doesn't allow much to know an artist and in some ways, it's too bad that the group didn't sell as many albums as they did singles. This self-titled psych-prog debut album is aiming at Floyd's early days, especially in the front artwork's weird (un-)focused picture, but the musical content showed a certain amount of progressive moods through the album. The organ-driven group may have you think of Morse Code Transmission's and sometimes bears the same kind of "faute de gout" (over-arranged) and sounds very 60's-ish and sometimes pop.

But there is more to this album than As The Years Go By: there are plenty of excellent other tracks including the opening Days When We Are Free and its follow-up I know I've Been Wrong, where Blake's guitar pull some great histrionics and you will find more in Afraid Of Losing You. Musically we are between Morse Code Transmission debut album and the great SRC debut album, some Floyd-Beatles touches. The flute-driven Gladwin is certainly the first side's highlight, as in the chorus SÚnÚcal dubs a sax, but the flute shines like thousand suns.

The flipside opens on the early Colosseum-like If I Tried, but the following soul-inspired Happy is again over-produced. But there are a few stinkers on this album, such as the string over-loaded Shades Of Loneliness (they sound as cheesy and corny as BS&T) or to a lesser extent Nature's Love Song (still has moments, notably a cool flute solo), but aren't we glad the closing Letter From Zambia shows much promise for their next album. Indeed there is a slight African theme and a percussion break, just the length you needed it.

While I wouldn't call their debut essential in regards to the site's overall scope, if you're into Canadian psych-prog, then Mashmakhan's debut does have its historical importance, and this writer is always a bit partial to groundbreakers, so it gets a "close but no cigar" rating

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Mashmakhan is a decent album from a decent band that represents fairly well a sound that was en vogue as the sixties waned, but that hasn’t aged particularly well in the ensuing years. The band of the same name would go on to release another record and several singles, but in terms of both commercial and artistic achievement this is probably as good as things would get for Mashmakhan.

The thing that interests most about these guys is how long they managed to stay together. The band dates to 1960 in Montreal as the Phantoms, presumably a pop group about whom little information survives today. The same lineup would finally ink a deal with Columbia nearly a decade later, and would record two studio albums and numerous singles before drummer Jerry Mercer drifted off to join April Wine and the band broke up altogether shortly thereafter.

The music is a mixed bag although there is a clear psych vibe, particularly with Rayburn Blake’s guitar and (to a lesser extent) Pierre SÚnÚcal’s stilting organ work. SÚnÚcal also wrote all the songs on the album, plays guitar, and is credited with various woodwinds (although mostly flute as near as I can tell). Speaking of which, the flute was still a fairly novel instrument for rock bands in 1970 so the group deserves some acknowledgement for that fresh (at the time) approach.

The one hit on the album, and really for the band as a whole was “As the Years Go By”, a three minute driving number spiced up with bouncy organ and harmonizing choral vocals but really not much more than a sentimental, radio-friendly pop tune. That single sold gold in the U.S., and apparently struck a real chord in Japan where it went platinum and made the band (briefly) one of the biggest acts in that country.

From a progressive music perspective the pickings are lean, but there are some noteworthy tracks. The opening “Days When We Are Free” is a full-fledged soft psych number complete with wailing and slightly-fuzzed guitar, brooding organ and a lazy pace recalling much of the late sixties West Coast scene. I believe this was also released as a single but didn’t chart although it probably should have, and I’m sure it was a crowd- pleaser in concert. And the closing “Letter From Zambia” combines layers of earthy ethnic percussion with what sounds like both electric and acoustic piano for an instrumental that takes a bit of time to pick up steam, but which finally morphs into a wailing guitar passage before slowly winding down amidst a bevy of hand-drums and then a mellow flute fadeout. If nothing else I have to say this is likely the only song I’ve ever heard with a fadeout ending featuring a flute, so props to the band for thinking that up.

“Afraid of Loving You” includes a pretty decent guitar solo that sounds like it was probably improvised in the studio, and “Gladwin” (another failed single) has the most prominent use of flute on the album but is otherwise unremarkable. “If I Tried” is basically a jam session with somewhat awkward story-telling vocals, and “Happy You Should Be” runs the risk of wandering into lounge-act territory for what has to be considered the weakest track on the album, although “Nature’s Love Song” isn’t much different or better.

You won’t likely find a copy of the original album, which was never reissued as far as I know. But there is a compilation CD containing both their studio albums on the Collectables label that is available.

This isn’t really a very memorable album, but the first time I heard it I mentally placed it in the same general range as the first Gypsy album. Not sure why because the two bands have little in common, but the mental connection persists as I write this so there must be something to it. I rated that album with four stars, but it was a two-disk set while this one isn’t so I’ll go with three stars for Mashmakhan and a solid recommendation for fans of late- sixties pop psych with nominal folk influences.

peace

3 stars An unknown band for most of us, but Neil Peart gave them a good write up in his Travelling Music book and I picked up their 2 for 1 CD for a couple of pennies of sheer curiosity. Neil Peart wrote about them because one of his first gigs with Rush was on the same bill as Mashmakhan. Rush were war ... (read more)

Report this review (#597405) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, December 28, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MASHMAKHAN "Mashmakhan"