LITTLE LUCID MOMENTS

Motorpsycho

Motorpsycho Little Lucid Moments album cover

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Suite: Little Lucid Moments (21:10)
- I. Lawned (Consciousness Causes Collapse)
- II. A Hoof to the Head
- III. Hallucifuge (Hyperrealistically Speaking...)
- IV. Sweet Oblivion / Perfect Sense
2. Year Zero (A Damage Report) (11:20)
3. She Left on the Sun Ship (14:30)
4. The Alchemyst (12:30)

Search MOTORPSYCHO Little Lucid Moments lyrics

Search MOTORPSYCHO Little Lucid Moments tabs

- Bent Sĉther / vocals, bass guitar, guitars, keyboards etc.
- Hans Magnus Ryan / guitars, vocals, keyboards etc.
- Kenneth Kapstad / drums

CD Rune Grammofon RCD 2073 (2008 Norway)
2LP Stickman Records PSYCHOBABBLE 060 (2008 Germany)
2LP Rune Grammofon RLP 3073 (2008 Norway)
CD Stickman Records PSYCHOBABBLE 060 (2008 Germany)
CD P-Vine Records PVCP-8255 (2008 Japan)

Thanks to windhawk for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

MOTORPSYCHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Little Lucid Moments Music

Little Lucid MomentsLittle Lucid Moments
Stickman 2008
LITTLE LUCID MOMENTSLITTLE LUCID MOMENTS
BVG
Little Lucid Moments [Vinyl]Little Lucid Moments [Vinyl]
Rune Grammofon 2008
Vinyl$31.02

More places to buy MOTORPSYCHO music online Buy MOTORPSYCHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOTORPSYCHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOTORPSYCHO Little Lucid Moments ratings distribution

MOTORPSYCHO Little Lucid Moments reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Great! Any day now we'll get to review Sonic Youth on PA!

In the meantime we will have to do with this bunch of adventurous alternative rockers from Norway. I have only a scattered knowledge of the band, gathered by picking up a few of their albums from the library over the last 15 years. (Yes, this band has been around for a while already). Due to their addition to PA I picked up this album and it will sure fire my interest again.

The 21 minute opening track starts with 5 minutes of pure Sonic Youth delight: a rough, rocking, catchy and shattering flood of guitar dissonance. They add a short post rock interlude before heading into the next surge of "sonic rock" around the 6.30 minute mark. As a fan of the end 80's US guitar rock, there is nothing really new here, but these guys know their game and have the skill to take it to new levels of excellence. In fact, they sound as fresh and enthusiastic as if they had just invented rock themselves. They keep the song going with inspired psychedelic jamming and a focused and honest energy.

Year Zero is quite different. More post rock influences here but not those of the endlessly stretched kind. They build up a soft melancholic song with very fragile vocals that remind me a bit of J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr). The song concludes with a great slow-paced guitar jam that mixes their noisy post rock sound with a proggy stateliness.

With She Left On The Sun Trip they sound like the Motorpsycho I remember from the earlier albums I've heard from them. This track is rocking, exploratory, psychedelic and heavy. It has the Motorpsycho quality of being both catchy and challengingly disharmonious. The second half brings a mesmerizing guitar ambience full of hypnotizing sounds. This is what post-rock should sound like!

The Alchemyst starts as a more traditional indie rock song, spiced with enough sophistication to remain interesting, it settles for a great Hawkwind groove in the second half. Especially that part of the song convinces with its steady rhythm, pulsating bass and washes of sound effects. The last minutes offer a great wall of sound with a distinct flavour of prog-noise abundance.

Little Lucid Moments is a brilliant guitar rock album with nothing but stellar music. I easily rates a solid 4 stars with potential for more, to be reassessed when I've heard some more of their albums. For all fans of the best indie rock, guitar rock, psychedelic rock, kraut rock, rock rock and other rock.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#283022) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 22, 2010

Review by FragileKings
3 stars Sometimes I like to look at the "Popular Artists (Top 50, Last 24h)" on the PA homepage to see if there are any bands with intriguing names I haven't heard of that I might want to check out. This has been a great way of discovering new music for me and I have added more than a few CDs to my collection doing this.

Motorpsycho's "Little Lucid Moments" ended up in my stacks this way. I had never heard of them and after looking over their their discography and getting a general idea of what they might sound like and which albums were the better rated ones, I checked out Amazon and ordered this album because it was a little cheaper than some of the higher rated albums.

Let me drop in some personal history here as around 1992 I was introduced to a Canadian band called Sloan who had released an independent EP and a major label debut around that time. Their style was unabashedly derivative of My Bloody Valentine, whose work I had never heard, and I loved the harmony vocals and pretty melodies contrasted by the high distortion, white noise style of music. For their second album they turned down the fuzz tone and concentrated more on song writing but there was still something alternative in their approach to music. Several years later I borrowed two CDs from a friend, one by Sonic Youth and one by Pavement (plus I had bought a My Bloody Valentine CD as well). And so I was introduced to the so-called shoegaze style.

I always believed that it was a short-lived style of music that lasted a few years from the end of the 80's to somewhere near the mid-90's, and so it was quite a surprise to listen to this album for the first time (since I had bought this as a total experiment) because it was just like listening to those bands once more, except this was from a more recent time period.

Progressive shoegaze? Why not? Actually, I can't really say why it's progressive because it is not prog in the way that I normally hear it. "Suite: Little Lucid Moments" is 21 minutes long and goes through different parts, changing style as it does. It begins in the Sonic Youth / Sloan vein but a few minutes in, it changes gears for the second part and suddenly sounds like Foo Fighters. That's OK with me. I used to like them, too. So now it seems I can indulge in the guilty treat of listening to a band that's listed on PA but sounds like a lot of stuff I used to listen to in the early 90's, long before I ever knew what progressive rock was. Incidentally, except for the lackluster space guitar part that comes up during this 21-minute voyage of sound, this has become on of the more enjoyable 20-minute plus epics that joined my collection this year.

I'm afraid "Year Zero (A Damage Report)" hasn't offered my anything to grab onto yet. It maintains the style of the album but for me the vocals are weak and the music doesn't have much to keep my interest. That's not so bad though because the next two songs are vying for my pick as favourite on the album.

Both "She Left on the Sun Ship" and "The Alchemist" have some catchy moments and nice atmospheric parts that seem to indicate how shoegaze morphed into postrock. I'm surprised at how simple the musical arrangement is. This is vocals (two lead vocalists I can hear), guitars (two distinct sounds), bass, and drums. There doesn't seem to be a lot of overdubs. I feel these guys could play this album live with only the inclusion of someone on bass or guitar to make up the fourth member.

I guess this album is considered progressive rock because the longer compositions permit the musicians to let each song travel through different sonic expressions from cosmic space guitar to aggressive Foo Fighter style, to lighter melodic shoegaze rock, to atmospheric post rock. Motorpsycho have taken what may have become an obsolete and non-trending style and washed the entire album over with it, making it sound as though it is as fresh and alive as it was in the early 90's. Though not as complex and technically advanced as the music of many great bands on this site, it stands out as a vibrant oddball. Some may not like it, but others will get its appeal.

Send comments to FragileKings (BETA) | Report this review (#1212417) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014

Post a review of MOTORPSYCHO "Little Lucid Moments"