HEAVY METAL FRUIT

Motorpsycho Heavy Metal Fruit album cover

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Starhammer (12:56)
2. X-3 (Knuckelheads in Space) / The Getaway Special (9:03)
3. The Bomb-Proof Roll and Beyond (For Arnie Hassle) (6:01)
4. Close Your Eyes (3:39)
5. W.B.A.T. (9:43)
6. Gullible's Travails (pt I - IV) (20:42)
- I. Eye All-Seeing
- II. The Elementhaler
- III. Circle
- IV. Phoot's Flower (A Burly Return)

Search MOTORPSYCHO Heavy Metal Fruit lyrics

Search MOTORPSYCHO Heavy Metal Fruit tabs

- Bent Sęther / vocals, bass, guitars, keyboards
- Hans Magnus Ryan / vocals, guitars, keyboards
- Kenneth Kapstad / drums
- Mathias Eick / trumpet (2)
- Hanne Hukkelberg / vocals (2, 4-6)
- Kaare Vestrheim / keyboards

CD Rune Grammofon RCD2093 (2010 Norway)
CD Stickman Records Psychobabble 065 (2010 Germany)
LP Stickman Records Psychobabble 065 (2010 Germany)
LP Rune Grammofon RLP 3093 (2010 Norway)

Thanks to windhawk for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

MOTORPSYCHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Heavy Metal Fruit Music

Rune Grammofon 2010
Timothys MonsterTimothys Monster
Box set
Rune Grammofon 2010
MOTORPSYCHO Mountain EP ORIG CD NORWAY PSYCH HARD ROCK on VOICES OF WONDER US $7.99 Buy It Now 41m 4s
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - ANGELS AND DAEMONS AT PLAY [4015698390728] - NEW CD US $20.64 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Russ Meyer Original Soundtracks, Vol. 3: Mudhoney/Finders Keepers/Motorpsycho... US $14.99 Buy It Now 23h 56m
BOB DYLAN: With God On Our Side / Motorpsycho Nitemare 45 (France, EP w/ PC lam US $90.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Roadworks, Vol. 1 by Motorpsycho (Norway) (CD, Oct-2000, Stickman Records -... US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOTORPSYCHO / JAGA JAZZIST HORNS - IN THE FISHTANK 10 NEW CD US $16.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Heavy Metal Fruit by Motorpsycho *New CD* US $14.60 Buy It Now 2 days
MONOLITHIC black science CD bladed jaga jazzist motorpsycho thorns dadafon puma US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Motorpsycho - 8 Soothing Songs For Rut NEW CD US $21.62 Buy It Now 3 days
Motorpsycho - Black Hole / Blank Canvas Japan 2CD - NEW US $18.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Motorpsycho - Blissard CD US $40.34 Buy It Now 3 days
MOTORPSYCHO - ROADWORK 4: INTREPID SKRONK NEW CD US $23.24 Buy It Now 3 days
Wrenched by Motorpsycho (Cassette) US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit [CD New] US $17.56 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO lim 500 Vinyl LP Strings Of Stroop Life At Effenaar (2011) US $399.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO original gatefold Vinyl LP Lobotomizer (1991) US $675.00 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO original 2x Vinyl LP Blissard (1996) US $99.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO original Vinyl 2LP Demon Box (1993) US $450.00 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO limited numbered 300 marbled Vinyl LP Death Defying Unicorn (2013) US $179.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO original lim/numbered Vinyl 3x Vinyl LP-BOX Timothy`s Monster (1994) US $169.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Motorpsycho - Vol. 4-Roadwork-Intrepid Skronk [CD New] US $18.21 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO - HEAVY METAL FRUIT NEW CD US $23.24 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTORPSYCHO - BEHIND THE SUN NEW VINYL US $39.87 Buy It Now 5 days
Motorpsycho - Vol. 4-Roadwork-Intrepid Skronk CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 5 days
Motorpsycho,Timothy's Monster, Import US $22.11 Buy It Now 5 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - BLISSARD [BOX] - NEW CD BOXSET US $37.03 Buy It Now 5 days
Motorpsycho - Mountain NEW CD US $14.04 Buy It Now 5 days
Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit CD US $20.22 Buy It Now 6 days
CD/Japan- MOTORPSYCHO It's A Love Cult w/OBI RARE ORIGINAL 2002 PCD-23333 US $10.64 Buy It Now 6 days
Motorpsycho *!# It Up USA PROMO Cassette Single Tape US $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MOTORPSYCHO - BEHIND THE SUN NEW CD US $23.24 Buy It Now 6 days
Behind the Sun - Motorpsycho New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $35.74 Buy It Now 6 days
MOTORPSYCHO - STILL LIFE WITH EGGPLANT NEW CD US $23.24 Buy It Now 6 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - TIMOTHY'S MONSTER [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $24.46 Buy It Now 7 days
Motorpsycho - Still Life With Eggplant [CD New] US $16.89 Buy It Now 7 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - STILL LIFE WITH EGGPLANT [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $13.91 Buy It Now 7 days
Motorpsycho - Little Lucid Moments - RCD2073 US $18.89 Buy It Now 7 days
Motorpsycho: Wrenched CD PA 1992 Hollywood Records HR-61285-2 Original US $8.95 Buy It Now 7 days
NEW - Wrenched by Motorpsycho US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - HEAVY METAL FRUIT [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $14.58 Buy It Now 7 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - LITTLE LUCID MOMENTS [4047179196222] - NEW CD US $13.08 Buy It Now 8 days
Motorpsycho - Still Life With Eggplant - RCD2143 US $19.04 Buy It Now 8 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN [4046661249125] - NEW CD BOXSET US $20.09 Buy It Now 9 days
Motorpsycho Thunderhead Promo CD Single US $7.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Motorpsycho - Another Ugly E.p NEW Mini CD US $14.21 Buy It Now 10 days
MOTORPSYCHO - : LET THEM EAT CAKE CD (2010) US $22.55 Buy It Now 10 days
INHALE Fig. 1 CD Indica Records VOIVOD FURNACEFACE MOTORPSYCHO GUANO TUBS RACE+ US $7.18 Buy It Now 10 days
MOTORPSYCHO & STALE STORLOKKEN - DEATH DEFYING UNICORN NEW CD US $28.28 Buy It Now 10 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN [7033662021246] - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.03 Buy It Now 11 days
Motorpsycho : Timothys Monster CD (2004) US $13.31 Buy It Now 11 days
Motorpsycho - Little Lucid Moments [CD New] US $18.71 Buy It Now 11 days
Motorpsycho & Stale Storlokken - Death Defying Unicorn [CD New] US $24.01 Buy It Now 11 days
MOTORPSYCHO - LITTLE LUCID MOMENTS NEW CD US $23.24 Buy It Now 11 days
Motorpsycho-Heavy Metal Fruit CD Import New US $35.05 Buy It Now 11 days
RUSS MEYER'S Soundtracks "MudHoney," "Finders Keepers, Lovers..." "MotorPsycho" US $66.21 Buy It Now 12 days
MOTORPSYCHO - 8 SOOTHING SONGS FOR RUT - VOW027CD US $20.41 Buy It Now 12 days
MOTORPSYCHO - ANOTHER UGLY E.P - VOW038CD US $12.87 Buy It Now 12 days
MOTORPSYCHO - MOUNTAIN - VOW031CD US $14.75 Buy It Now 12 days
MOTORPSYCHO - DEMON BOX - VOW030CD US $79.69 Buy It Now 12 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - TRUST US [13 TRACKS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.78 Buy It Now 12 days
Motorpsycho - Mountain Ep (NEW CD) US $14.91 Buy It Now 13 days
Motorpsycho - 8 Soothing Songs For Rut (NEW CD) US $22.17 Buy It Now 13 days
Motorpsycho - Another Ugly E.P (NEW CD) US $14.91 Buy It Now 13 days
MOTORPSYCHO TRUTH CD SINGLE 1 TRACK PROMO + CARD P/S USA US $9.68 Buy It Now 13 days
Motorpsycho Still Life With Eggplant CD US $18.75 Buy It Now 13 days
Motorpsycho - Still Life With Eggplant CD US $20.22 Buy It Now 14 days
Motorpsycho & Stale Storlokken - Death Defying Unicorn CD US $24.77 Buy It Now 14 days
The Death Defying Unicorn by Motorpsycho (Norway) (CD, Apr-2012, 2 Discs,... US $21.06 Buy It Now 14 days
Still Life with Eggplant by Motorpsycho *New CD* US $13.93 Buy It Now 15 days
Motorpsycho - Little Lucid Moments CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 15 days
MOTORPSYCHO - : BARRACUDA CD (2010) US $13.31 Buy It Now 15 days
Death Defying Unicorn - Motorpsycho New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $27.42 Buy It Now 15 days
GERMANY press MOTORPSYCHO Roadwork Vol.4 Interpid Skronk CD Stickman NEW sealed US $19.88 Buy It Now 15 days
GERMANY import MOTORPSYCHO Roadwork Vol.4 Interpid Skronk 2-LP Stickman 2011 NEW US $36.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Roadwork Vol 4:intrepid Skronk - Motorpsycho New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Ship US $25.23 Buy It Now 15 days
Motorpsycho - Black Hole / Blank Canvas (2006) JAPAN 2 CD New NORWAY ROCK US $9.99 Buy It Now 16 days
MOTORPSYCHO --MANMOWER CD Single New US $15.78 Buy It Now 16 days
Behind The Sun - Motorpsycho US $14.44 Buy It Now 17 days
MOTORPSYCHO - BLISSARD NEW CD US $44.17 Buy It Now 17 days
Motorpsycho - Blissard [CD New] US $40.01 Buy It Now 17 days
Behind the Sun - Motorpsycho New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $68.89 Buy It Now 17 days
MOTORPSYCHO - : ITS A LOVE CULT CD (2010) US $14.49 Buy It Now 18 days
Motorpsycho - Still Life With Eggplant [Vinyl New] US $25.98 Buy It Now 18 days
Still Life With Eggplant - Motorpsycho New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $24.69 Buy It Now 18 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - ROADWORK, VOL. 4: INTREPID SKRONK [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $15.23 Buy It Now 19 days
STIKIN IT TO YOU AGAIN-Stickman Records-MOTORPSYCHO-Isolation YEARS-Kevlar-Cd US $7.49 Buy It Now 19 days
MOTORPSYCHO - STILL LIFE WITH EGGPLANT NEW VINYL US $32.61 Buy It Now 19 days
Motorpsycho : Its a Love Cult CD US $13.08 Buy It Now 19 days
MOTORPSYCHO/JAGA JAZZIST HORNS - In The Fishtank - LP US $26.76 Buy It Now 19 days
Blissard - Motorpsycho New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $41.56 Buy It Now 19 days
Heavy Metal Fruit - Motorpsycho New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $24.69 Buy It Now 19 days
Black Hole/Blank Canvas Motorpsycho CD US $24.20 Buy It Now 20 days
motorpsycho : HOLLYWOOD SHOCKS CD US $2.13 Buy It Now 20 days
Motorpsycho : Roadwork Vol.4 : Intrepid Skronk CD (2011) US $21.71 Buy It Now 20 days
Motorpsycho-Heavy Metal Fruit CD Import New US $28.62 Buy It Now 20 days
Motorpsycho : Wrenched CD (1992) US $13.23 Buy It Now 21 days
Roadwork, Vol. 4: Intrepid Skronk by Motorpsycho *New CD* US $15.26 Buy It Now 21 days
MOTORPSYCHO (NORWAY) - LITTLE LUCID MOMENTS [7033662020737] - NEW CD US $15.73 Buy It Now 22 days
MOTORPSYCHO - LITTLE LUCID MOMENTS - 2008 CD NEW [4995879082553] US $9.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Motorpsycho - Still Life With Eggplant Import-UK Vinyl Record LP US $28.45 Buy It Now 22 days

More places to buy MOTORPSYCHO music online Buy MOTORPSYCHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOTORPSYCHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOTORPSYCHO Heavy Metal Fruit ratings distribution

MOTORPSYCHO Heavy Metal Fruit reviews

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Let's jump in the water without any preparation (introduction). Let's face it, I consider them Psychedelic. I feel like tripping (even I never did drugs in my life) and Starhammer seems like nice ........ (10 minutes later): Oh well, where have I been last ten minutes ? It seems like I was literally tripping, enjoying music, waving in the rhythm of hypnotic drums and whistling (yes, I whistle a lot, I'm The One Legged Whistler). Really heavy "stuff".

I'm starting to realize why there are so high opinions. After few listens, I'm still not completely decided, but no less than 4 stars (really). X-3 (Knuckelheads In Space) is a strange one. Extremely fast in pace, on a first look sounds all through its four minutes the same, but when you "look" and examine it closely, it's diverse. Strange one, second part of the song is calmer jamming. Later on, we can finally realize why they are under Eclectic category. But still, this psychedelic line is clearly to hear through entire album. Final epic is truly epic, because not even they continue in their "full-of-variety" style, but also transcend to something different, Symphonic ending guys and girl, that's something unheard before.

4(+), undefinable experience. Let's try it for yourselves.

Prog experience for new and old Proggers altogether.

EDIT June 2010 - 0.5 decrease.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#273087) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 20, 2010

Review by snobb
4 stars During last 2 decades Scandinavia became major world centre of progressive music. Partially Norway is a home of almost all leading nu jazz/nu fusion musicians. It shows local music scene is active and innovative.

Motorpsycho is another Norwegian band, mixing all possible styles in one. Vintage blues-rock and r'n'b, some old school psychedelic prog, spacey sounds, hard'n'heavy, jamming, jazz- rock, etc. Even if in many cases the basic sound is guitar indie rock.

When started listening this album, I was a bit disappointed. Few first songs are real guitar indie rock, even with grunge influention. Not the best element for progressive brew. But step by step this music attracted me more and more. Not too often you can find between modern recordings so different and unpredictable music! Possibly, it's difficult to speak about band's style, whenever each song is different. Or let say their style is just all possible (mostly vintage prog) styles in one. Only common component in almost all songs is dirty guitar sound.

Possibly, not most classic progressive rock album, but with strong smell of early 70-s - the time when progressive rock was still really innovative and progressive. OK, one can say this album's music is deeply rooted in traditions from 70-s and hardly brings something really new. Yes, it's true, but "it smells like a teen's spirit" ...

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#273637) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Motorpsycho have really been working hard for the last couple of years! Releasing three albums in under two years fully loaded with the mix of Experimental Psychedelic Hard Rock that the band have been moving towards since the Experimental Alternative Rock days of Trust Us. There is no denying that Heavy Metal Fruit has stirred up quite a few emotions ever since its early 2010 release date and so I felt obligated to revisit this old friend of a band just to see what the fuss was all about.

It's true that I haven't heard much from Motorpsycho before or after their 2 CD 1998-album Trust Us, with an exception of an occasional sample track here and there, and so I honestly didn't know what to expect from the new sound that the band have become so famous for at this stage of their career. The album begins with a prolonged intro of Starhammer that after almost 1,5 minutes of silence finally transitions into a Stoner Rock tune. This is of course not everything that Motorpsycho has to offer us over the course of this almost 13 minute long compositions and once the heavy guitar sound settles down we get into a very pleasant experimental jam section that lasts until the last minutes where the band finally gets back to Stoner Rock. Not really what I was expecting but that's definitely not a bad thing!

X-3 (Knuckelheads In Space) / The Getaway Special is a much simpler upbeat rock tune that isn't all that exciting from a progressive point of things. Still, the band manages to change their direction halfway through the composition by adding on another pleasant experimental jam session with smooth trumpet work and playful guitar sounds. The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond (for Arnie Hassle) is another surprise of a sorts that reminds me more of the band's '90s sound than what they were offering on Heavy Metal Fruit until now. That is not to say that Motorpsycho have been all that consistent up to this point either. The track becomes pretty psychedelic towards the end with a lot of noise targeted straight at the listener.

Close Your Eyes caught me completely off guard at first because I actually had to double check that my player hadn't skipped to some obscure Radiohead ballad! This was of course not the case, instead Motorpsycho have once again shown just how versatile they have become. W. B. A. T. is probably the closest that this album comes to sounding progressive even though the composition does fall in a much more familiar rock territory towards its second part. Gullible's Travails (pt I - IV) was a bit of a disappointment for me since it wasn't more than just a nice prolonged jam and not the fleshed out six-parter epic I was expecting from this 20+ minute composition.

It seems that the direction Motorpsycho have been going for lately has given them quite a few new followers. Personally I prefer almost everything I've heard on Trust Us over this new material since nothing here truly captures my imagination. Still, there's no denying that the band have created something quite unique with this release and so no less than a good, but non-essential rating on my part is in order here.

**** star songs: Starhammer (12:57) The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond (for Arnie Hassle) (6:02) Close Your Eyes (3:40) W. B. A. T. (9:44) Gullible's Travails (pt I - IV) (20:42)

*** star songs: X-3 (Knuckelheads In Space) / The Getaway Special (9:04)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#284220) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review by poslednijat_colobar
1 stars It is very hard for me to write down a review of an album I dislike so much. That kind of album is Heavy Metal Fruit by Motorpsycho. It is really unbearable for me! I postponed my writing of this album's review for about two or three months, because I had to listen to the album one more time. I have written a review half year ago, but than deleted it because it was very subjective and insulting to the album. Later I tried to give another chance, but it totally has failed. The combination of sounds is absolutely unreceptive to my soul.

The genre of the album is blend of hard rock and psychedelic rock with some blues themes. Regretfully, that combination doesn't worked out with me! Heavy Metal Fruit is quite long for an album with so much repetitions and predictable ideas and all of that makes it highly boring. The last thing I have to say about the album is that all of the songs are quite simple with 3-4 different chords each. That's my opinion of the album. 1 star

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#284424) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars Motorpsycho's HMF is an addictive rock album that turned out to be a rather controversial entry in PA. It doesn't conform to the classic definition of prog and it certainly hasn't got anything ado with symphonic prog, for many still the one and only. No, HMF is a heavy rock album with influences stretching from dirty stoner rock to psych, jazz and space-rock. I have only a scattered knowledge of Motorpsycho's background. Their albums never entirely convinced me so far. That changed with Little Lucid Moments from 2008. The band let in much more room for improvisations and jams, and stretched the format and musicality of the Motorpsycho sound quite a bit in the process.

I guess they will be duly punished for not conforming to prog expectations or for merely existing on PA, but that doesn't matter. The most important thing is that their passage here has awakened some interest. If that results in one extra fan, it's already a success as far as I'm concerned. In an attempt to tease you, allow me to throw all band names that I know at you now.

After a minute of silence, Starhammer kicks in with a heavy Crimsonite theme, sounding as if it came straight out of one of Anekdoten's early albums. Before long they set into a bluesy Sabbath plod with a psychedelic harmonic vocal lead. A long improvisation follows with some post-rock and jazzy touches. I deliberately use the word 'improvisation' and not 'jam'. This is not the predictable bass and drum groove that a guitar player can shred on, all musicians are in this one together and interact freely. It starts subdued but gradually builds to a forceful space-rock outburst. Early Hawkwind and Floyd would have been very proud about this one. Near the end, the verse and Crimsonite theme are repeated. What a monster!

Time to kick up the pace. X-3 sounds as if Can (from the Malcolm Moony years) would do a Blue Oyster Cult tune. Southern rock but played loose, dirty and wild. Also the gritty rock of The Black Crows come to mind. It has a delicious uplifting chorus with strong harmonic vocals. It has a more traditional verse-chorus structure, at least till a noisy finale gives way to The Getaway Special, another jazz-post-rock improvisation with Mathias Eick guesting on trumpet.

The Bomb-Proof Roll and Beyond starts out with dreamy vocal line on one of their vintage stoner riffs. This is what Queens of the Stone Age could sound like if they didn't try so hard to be a pop band. Motorpsycho make the difference with the lush psychedelic keyboards and beautiful vocal harmonies with every band member joining in on the vocals. They open up the song to let in some very avant-garde sonic explosions.

Close Your Eyes is a delicate ballad on piano, the kind that also Jeff Buckley and Ryan Adams can thrill me with. It offers a short moment of contemplation, perfectly placed in the middle of the album.

W.B.A.T. starts with a frenzied drum-heavy free-jazz part, similar to the start of Van Der Graaf's Arrow, only with guitar soling here instead of the sax. It gets quite dissonant and is guaranteed to annoy symphonic fans. It changes to one of the best tributes to Sabbath I have heard. Motorpsycho's roots are in the stoner-rock branch and this song sure bears witness to that. It strongly reminds me of A National Acrobat from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, complete with vintage riffs, Ozzyan vocals, thick pounding drums and prominent bass guitar. It ends on a highly psychedelic note with an almost Yessian symphonic touch. Hej, prog!

As if the stellar songwriting that preceded wasn't enough, we still got the 20 minute epic ahead! Well yes epic? It has a multi-part structure but of course it's Motorpsycho so much of it is assigned to improvisations. After a short opening with Zeppeliny Eastern-tinged guitars and violins, the first part is a very melodic and slightly shoegazer type of song. It's very inspired, delicate and memorable. Spacey Floydian guitars bridge to a second part with acoustic guitars, flutes and hazy vocals. A bit before halfway, Motorpsycho amply display what fine musicians they are on a lengthy improvised space-trip ending in an orgiastic orchestral climax. Kraut and space fans lick your fingers!

So far, my pick for 2010 and one of the best space-rock album I've heard in ages. Kyuss and Monster Magnet fans will already own this, high recommendations go out to daring fans of kraut, space-rock, heavy prog and the likes.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#284732) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 03, 2010

2 stars I'm not sure who's idea it was to start off the album with almost 1 1/2 minutes of silence but they should be up for the "Dick of the Year" award. I mean come on what's the purpose ? If it was at the end of the song I could skip it but any prolonged silence on any album i've heard is a huge negative as far as i'm concerned. Anyway when the music does come in it's fairly heavy and vocals join in around 2 minutes. It settles after 4 minutes then starts to build 6 1/2 minutes in but then settles back again. Good section after 10 minutes as it gets a little heavier with guitar soloing over top. Vocals are back 11 1/2 minutes in. "V-3 (Knuckleheads In Space) / The Getaway Special" is catchy but not very good. Too poppy and I don't like the harmonies.Thankfully it changes after 5 minutes with intricate guitar, trumpet and drums.

"The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond" is nice and heavy to start, vocals after a minute. A spacey calm after 2 1/2 minutes. It kicks back in quickly and it's chaotic. Vocals are back. "Close Your Eyes" opens with piano as reserved vocals join in. Not a fan. "W.B.A.T." features relentless drumming early. A change after 3 minutes and vocals arrive. Heavy guitar and bass too. "Gullibee's Travails (Pt.I-IV)" settles in after 1 1/2 minutes and vocals join in. A calm after 6 minutes. Female vocals before 7 1/2 minutes. It starts to pick up 9 1/2 minutes in. This is good. Vocals are back after 15 minutes but not for long.

While there are some good sections they are far and few between. Definitely for fans only as far as i'm concerned. The cover art sucks too.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#289705) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 08, 2010

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
3 stars MOTORPSYCHO are a multifaceted band like no other, consisting of prolific musicians who are looking back to more than 20 years of cooperation now. And every album sounds different, bears another concept. 'Heavy Metal Fruit' comprises a strong psychedelic touch this time, additionally decorated with a proper jamming rate. Certainly heavy and according to this the album title hits the nail on the head. But metal? This is causing debates of course. Thumbs up or down? This challenged me to get closer to this album .. and no regrets in the end ... what strikes is that the tracks are not easy to predict, are holding variety indeed.

Well, I've catched the praise, for me as an old-fashioned space rocker the first song Starhammer appears as one of the most attractive. Not due to this grunge/stoner wrapping really. No, the song changes to a relaxed groove in between, sparkling keyboards here, playful guitars there - which evolves to a wonderful psychedelic respectively spacey going in the end. Second one X-3 has much more of a speedy garage rock behaviour, adapted for rocking the crowd during a gig. But this is not all and finally proves them as a band which offers much more than simple straightforward rock music. Hence the second part shows them jamming once more, decorated with trumpet and mysterious vocals which offers a proper experimental attitude.

The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond now follows as a heavy psych rocker, rather successful because comprising excellent vocal contributions for example ... and once again they completely vary it all with a cacophonous downfall towards the end. The ballad Close Your Eyes provides some period of time to rest with nice piano backing. W.B.A.T. starts restless, excited, jazzy drums are striking, but then .. unsurpringly in the meantime ... the mood changes and reminds me of Brother Ape a lot furthermore.

Provided with an ambivalent outfit the epic Gullible's Travails partially disappoints - regarding Part 1 and Part 4 who are clearly indie flavoured. The other sections though are doing well then showing a jamming spacey character. MOTORPSYCHO albums are not beyond dispute when it comes to prog standards .. 'Heavy Metal Fruit' proves this again. However - I'm sure the band never has really insisted on playing prog music as such. Nevertheless ... the prog proportion is in the majority here as for my impression. Not an album which can knock my socks off, but quite prolific anyhow while holding some very nice impressions right in the middle of it.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#372727) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars Motorpsycho are a Norwegian band who have been around since 1989. Their discography is big, but this is the first album of theirs I have heard. They even made an album with members of Jaga Jazzist. I'm not sure what their earlier albums sound like, but on Heavy Metal Fruit they are a cross between '60s psych and '70s heavy metal. Some of the keyboards and guitar effects are more modern, putting them closer to 'stoner rock' at times. I generally don't like the lead vocals much but the harmony vocals are usually well done.

"Starhammer" opens the album with a few minutes of almost nothing; barely audible sounds come and go very randomly. Some symphonic rock which quickly changes to a riff that wouldn't sound out of place on a Sabbath album. Along with some vocals. After 3 1/2 minutes starts a cool part with eerie backup vocals at first. A guitar solo later on. Love the sound of the bass for this whole part. The music builds up and dies down before another guitar solo. The music starts to build up again, eventually going back to the Sabbath riff and the symphonic rock part.

"X-3 (Knuckleheads In Space) / The Getaway Special" starts off as a very retro late '60s style boogie rock. Folk-rocky chorus. Some atmospheric keyboards in the background later. A very fuzzy late '60s guitar solo. Over halfway switches to a Greatful Dead like jam with some trumpet. "The Bomb-Proof Roll And Beyond (for Arnie Hassle)" is a catchy song. I like the counterpoint vocals. In the middle gets spacey then becomes a noisy cacophony. Eventually goes back to the main song. Love the overdubbed a capella vocals at the end.

"Close Your Eyes" is the most contemporary sounding song. A mediocre piano-based ballad, nothing special. "W.B.A.T." has a cool mix of jazzy drumming and 'stoner' guitar playing at the beginning. Gets louder and more cacaphonous before a drum roll leads to another riff worthy of Sabbath. Vocals now. Lyrics are pretty catchy. Later a guitar solo. Some acoustic guitars appear and it goes into a more melodic and poppy part before going back to the Sabbath like riff. The melodic poppy part comes back with great electric guitar lines.

At 21 minutes, "Gullible's Travails (pts I-IV)" is the longest track. It begins with guitar feedback along with acoustic guitar and piano. Goes into some guitar playing that reminds me of Soundgarden. Then settles into a groove with vocals. Alternates between the Soundgarden guitars and the groove. Gets more melodic and 'chorus' like before 5 minutes. Later changes to acoustic guitars and melodic bass with some female vocals. Then male vocals. Nice flute during this part. Later a cool bass line and spacey guitar effects. A guitar solo after awhile. Guitar and keys start playing a new riff in unison before the music gets more loose. Then it goes back to the 'chorus' like part. Orchestra and/or orchestra-like keyboard sounds start to increase in volume. Band dies out and then a quieter orchestra.

This is isn't too bad of an album, but they are not going to win any points for originality. If you enjoy 'retro-prog' or modern 'stoner rock', you may like this. There are some great moments spread out unevenly over the album. But not enough for me. I'll give this 3 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#402143) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review by Starhammer
5 stars "I am a Starhammer, I never judge but always keep the score..."

Heavy Metal Fruit was mixed down during the production stage as an act of protest against 'the loudness war'. At first I felt this tactic might reduce the impact of certain sections, but with a good pair of speakers it remains hard-hitting and crystal clear throughout.

The album's opener, Starhammer, lulls you into a dream like state with barely audible guitar noodling before unleashing that earth-shattering riff! Add to that an excellently crafted instrumental breakdown and top it off with a reprise and you have yourself an epic with proportionality to rival the album's closer, Gullible's Travails. This has a similar song structure, but being slightly longer allows for more musical exploration. I am torn between which track I prefer as they are both superb.

X-3 (Knuckleheads in Space) has a chorus that gets stuck in my head for days and is the album's most rockin' track. It too closes neatly with another great passage of improvisational. However, this jazzier interlude is a complete juxtaposition to the face-melting, sonic armageddon that follows in The Bomb-Proof Roll and Beyond!!.

Close Your Eyes is the album's shortest track and despite its sombre atmosphere it fits in well. W.B.A.T. is probably my least favourite track on the album, but with such stiff competition it's hard to really fault.

The Verdict: Let it ripen to experience the full flavour.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#441229) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 01, 2011

4 stars 'Heavy Metal Fruit' is in many ways an introduction to Motorpsycho for me. Having heard very little of their material before, I was struck straight away by the spacey riff of 'Starhammer'. Although ill-prepared for the improvisations that punctuate the middle of the song, I was pleasantly surp ... (read more)

Report this review (#384116) | Posted by Warren | Friday, January 21, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Interesting music. For about one listen. One song at a time. Otherwise, it becomes monotonous. HAWKWIND and BAND FROM OUTER SPACE and even CAN lovers will probably like this; The Flaming Lips and Ozrics lovers, maybe. Gong, Egg, Eloy, and Floyd lovers may not. (AT least, that's my opinion.) The ... (read more)

Report this review (#284745) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Thursday, June 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Another buy I have to thank you guys for. I've been watching the #1 ranking this album's been getting all year and thought I better snatch it up. When I first put this on, I thought, "no way" this is sounding too good for my ears. Like its delivering what I've been craving. Which is non- Pr ... (read more)

Report this review (#283754) | Posted by akajazzman | Thursday, May 27, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Fantastic music! While I still find myself diving in Motorpsycho's discography, I consider ''Heavy Metal Fruit'' to be their best record to date.The band seems to have almost completely surrender to their '70's influences, especially the psychedelic ones, but still reserving modern elements to ... (read more)

Report this review (#283380) | Posted by Aldebaran_Well | Tuesday, May 25, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I really want to give this album five stars, probably because it is a very ENJOYABLE listen. There seems to be many "influences" in this album (at least from my perceptions), from Blue Öyster Cult and Uriah Heep (Knucleheads in Space/The Getaway Special), to more progressive elements in W.B.A.T ... (read more)

Report this review (#279593) | Posted by Dejavu69 | Tuesday, April 27, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The years since 2000 proved to be a very fruitful period for progressive rock and I am almost totally convinced that many contemporary bands that combine pop, rock, indie, jazz, avant garde and hard rock are in many cases, more progressive than some so-called neo-prog acts. Some of today's gro ... (read more)

Report this review (#277926) | Posted by Astryos | Wednesday, April 14, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Sorry for being a party pooper here and giving such a highly praised album a low rating, but I just don't like this album (obviously). First of all, at least 50% of this album isn't prog, but rather guitar-driven grunge a-lį Alice in Chains mixed with shoegazing qualities reminiscent of bands lik ... (read more)

Report this review (#275958) | Posted by Werneflo | Friday, April 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is my first listen to Norwegian proggers Motorpsycho. They seem to be a much overlooked eclectic prog band as this is their 14th album since 1991. They must have worked hard! Their sound is a mix of Psychedelic/Progressive Rock and a harder edge: Heavy Metal/Hard Rock, I also hear some Indie/Al ... (read more)

Report this review (#272518) | Posted by Utukku | Wednesday, March 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absoluteley breathtaking stuff! Is this the strongest album release since the golden age of King Crimson and Pink Floyd? A flawless masterpiece with over 60 mins of music. A music that only can be compared to some earlier Motorpsycho found on Demon Box and Timoty`s Monster. This is massive jaz ... (read more)

Report this review (#271410) | Posted by RedSails | Saturday, March 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Such a great album! In my humble opinion, this is the best record of these strange Norwegians and maybe one of interns to the title "Prog Album of The Year 2010". 13th Motorpsycho album - it is not unfortunate number for the band, indeed! Music? Simply Heavy Metal Fruit!!! Not heavy metal, n ... (read more)

Report this review (#269984) | Posted by Gandalfino | Sunday, March 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars So, it“s a transcendent thing with a very good sound, lyrics, strange names of tracks, little bit ghostly cover (reminds famous Uriah Heep“s "Very “Eavy, Very “Umble"). Although I have heard this record more than 20 times, I like it upwards and upwards. 13th studio album in 21-year history of the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#265349) | Posted by Gandalff | Thursday, February 11, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOTORPSYCHO "Heavy Metal Fruit"