THE LAST PUFF ( FEATURING MIKE HARRISON)

Spooky Tooth

Mike Harrison Keyboards, Vocals
Brian Humphries Engineer
Mike Kellie Drums
Henry McCullough Guitar
Alan Spenner Bass, Guitar (Bass)
Chris Stainton Organ, Guitar, Piano, Guitar (Bass), Keyboards, Producer

Vinyl LP - Island 6339004 (1970)
CD - Repertoire Repuk 1073 ( 2005)

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPOOKY TOOTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) Music

The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only YesterdayThe Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday
Remastered
A&M 1999
You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your JawYou Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw
A&M
Vinyl$82.00
Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2009
Last PuffLast Puff
Extra tracks · Import
Repertoire 2005
Spooky Tooth: Nomad Poets Live in GermanySpooky Tooth: Nomad Poets Live in Germany
Multiple Formats
Repertoire 2005
Spooky TwoSpooky Two
A&M Records
Vinyl$4.97 (used)
Spooky Tooth Featuring Mike Harrison - The Last Puff LP - A&M - Blues Rock US $11.39 [0 bids]
Gary Wright Spooky Tooth Sealed Solo LP 1977 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
SPOOKY TOOTH two UK ORIGINAL PINK ISLAND ILPS-9098 LP psych US $99.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH you broke my heart Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $29.99 [1 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH spooky two Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $46.01 [8 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH witness Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $29.99 [2 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH the last puff Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $24.99 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT - SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Yesterday WHITE LABEL PROMO 2-LP A US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH CASSETTE TAPE MIRROR MADE IN EEC1993 US $7.04 Buy It Now 4h 49m
LP-Spooky Tooth-You Broke My Heart So I busted..70's UK hard rock-US issue US $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
SPOOKY TOOTH ~ SPOOKY TWO ~ ORIGINAL LP 1969 ON A&M SP 4194 US $3.99 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Extraction 1st US press A&M brown label gatefold Spooky Tooth US $14.95 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth vinyl LP album record Spooky Two - Pink 'eye' - VG UK ILPS9098 US $151.74 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 19h 50m
SPOOKY TOOTH (GARY WRIGHT) - 1973 - "You broke my heart so I broke ." US $4.79 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - 1976 - "That was only yesterday" WL PROMO US $4.79 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH ~ ALL SEWN UP ~ GERMAN 7" ISLAND 13 062 AT US $5.97 Buy It Now 21h 51m
MIKE HARRISON Rainbow Rider '75 Island SPOOKY TOOTH Area Code 615 in shrink M- US $12.00 Buy It Now 22h 25m
SPOOKY TOOTH Witness LP 1973 Island orig VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 16m
SPOOKY TOOTH Best Of Greatest Hits CD NEW & SEALED US $8.51 Buy It Now 23h 28m
Spooky Tooth Ceremony 1970 LP Vinyl NM- Original Press A&M SP 4225 Pierre Henry US $13.99 Buy It Now 23h 35m
MOSNTER MAGNET SOUNDGARDEN SUPERTRAMP Y&T STYX SPOOKY TOOTH LUSTRE V/A 2CD 1995 US $2.49 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony PIERRE HENRY A&M SP-4225 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vtg. SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff Vinyl Record LP - VG Condition!! US $9.84 Buy It Now 1 day
GARRY WRIGHT Dream Weather SPOOKY TOOTH solo MINT Lp US $5.26 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH- 7 NEW RARE JEWEL CASE CDS- 4 REPERTOIRE LABEL + WRIGHT-ANDY LEIGH US $129.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ orig sleeve SP4225 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ART SUPERNATURAL FAIRY TALES RARE '67 german V.I.P.'s island LP spooky tooth NM! US $259.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Vinyl Record 12" LP - Spooky Tooth - Witness - Album US $12.75 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT Extraction. Repertoire CD Spooky Tooth US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT Headin' Home 8 track tape STILL SEALED Original Spooky Tooth US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT Extraction 1st US press A&M WLPromo Spooky Tooth US $39.95 [0 bids]
Gary Wright THE LIGHT OF SMILES cd~OFFICIAL~(David Foster.Pomeranz.Spooky Tooth) US $168.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH Spooky Two 1st US press tan A&M label 1969 Gary Wright US $19.95 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH-HELL OR HGH WATER/THE MIRROR-ISLAND - USA US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH-FANTASY SATISFIER/THE HOOFER-GOODEAR - UK US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREIGNER Double Vision + Agent 2LP lot KING CRIMSON BLACK SHEEP SPOOKY TOOTH US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREIGNER 4 + Head Games 2LP lot KING CRIMSON BLACK SHEEP SPOOKY TOOTH US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREIGNER Debut + 4 2LP lot KING CRIMSON BLACK SHEEP SPOOKY TOOTH US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREIGNER DEBUT + Double Vision 2LP lot KING CRIMSON BLACK SHEEP SPOOKY TOOTH US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREIGNER DEBUT + Head Games 2LP lot KING CRIMSON BLACK SHEEP SPOOKY TOOTH US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best Of Humble Pie CD *NEW Orig 1993 Small Faces Spooky Tooth Peter Frampton US $29.95 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT Extraction WHITE LABEL PROMO Spooky Tooth US $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw vinyl LP 1973 US $4.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth - CD 1970/2005 - The Last Puff (bonus tracks) US $2.23 [2 bids]
7"-Single SPOOKY TOOTH Two Time Love (1974) GERMANY PS / GARY WRIGHT / FOREIGNER US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH LOT OF 13 LPS 45 WITNESS ISLAND MIKE HARRISON TWO BROKE LAST PUFF US $67.00 [4 bids]
? Gary Wright - Light of Smiles (W.B.) ex-Spooky Tooth US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
? Gary Wright - Who I Am (Cypress) (ex-Spooky Tooth) US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
? Gary Wright - Touch & Gone (ex-Spooky Tooth) (sealed) US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CEREMONY - SPOOKY TOOTH (Cassette) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth - The Mirror - ORIGINAL 1974 Island Die-Cut LP -SEALED! US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth " Witness " NM- 1973 SW-9337 US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
GARY WRIGHT SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Yesterday 2 LP A&M SP 3528 US 1973 SEALED M US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
^ SPOOKY TOOTH it's all about UICY-93501 JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Promo 2 LP Set - Best Of GARY WRIGHT & SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Only Yesterday - NM US $14.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two A&M USA 1969 Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $65.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth It's All About UK Island Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $75.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff A&M Analog Reissue Near Mint ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
V.I.P.'s - Lost & Found CD british beat r&b mod art spooky tooth keith emerson US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky tooth-1986 magazine article US $8.51 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH / PIERRE HENRY - CEREMONY NEW CD US $34.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Gary Wright Spooky Tooth Lp Lot Of 7 Vinyl Records G+ Ex Classic Rock US $13.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The last puff Spooky Tooth A&M Records SP4266 US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
7" V.I.P.s I wanna be free ( pre-Spooky Tooth) UK 1966 Island wi-3003 -ORIG 7" US $49.90 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Footprint SEALED Canadian Pressing SPOOKY TOOTH Klaus Voorman US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry/Gary Wright - Ceremony (An Electronic Mass) [used CD] US $5.99 [0 bids]
Trapeze - Hot Wire - RARE cd James Gang Whitesnake Deep Purple Spooky Tooth OOP US $26.99 [0 bids]
(PROMO) SPOOKY TOOTH - "TOBACCO ROAD" LP, A&M SP-4300, 1971 PRESS, NM US $8.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Best of vinyl LP 1975 Island Records EX US $38.00 Buy It Now 3 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1970 SPOOKY TOOTH WITH.MIKE HARRISON The Last Puff SP 4266 US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
WHO I AM - GARY WRIGHT LP CYPRESS YL0111 SPOOKY TOOTH US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth (I've Got Enough Heartaches) Feelin' Bad A&M Records 1110 Promo US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH You Broke My Heart...ROCK LP A&M Brown Label STERLING Gatefold US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH: You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw LP (WLP, gatefold, punch US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
WIDOWMAKER S/T NM United Artists LP Spooky Tooth Uriah Heep US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
WITNESS - SPOOKY TOOTH LP NM+ RARE US $23.38 Buy It Now 3 days
Bumpers,Blodwyn Pig,Mott The Hoople,If,Spooky Tooth,Free,Jethro Tull,LP US $60.54 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth Featuring Mike Harrison,The Last Puff,Matrix A//1 & B//1,LP US $43.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth & Pierre Henry - Ceremony - Esoteric US $17.04 Buy It Now 3 days
Fairport Convention/Jethro Tull/Spooky Tooth & more,You Can All Join In,LP US $17.04 Buy It Now 3 days
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records) US $1.75 [0 bids]
GARY MOORE , SPOOKY TOOTH LP THAT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ceremony Spooky Tooth Record LP A&M Psych Rock VG++ White Label Promo W/Inner US $23.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH: Tobacco Road (Rock & Pop A&M SP-4300 Vinyl LP) US $9.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR 1992 CHARLY RECORDS VERY RARE OOP MADE IN THE ECC US $14.95 [0 bids]
FRIENDS SAMPLER WITH HUMBLE PIE SPOOKY TOOTH OTHERS US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH LP "IT'S ALL ABOUT" ~ ORIG. STEREO ISLAND ~ IMPORT US $24.00 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT, HEADIN' HOME /SPOOKY TOOTH/ LP 1979 US EX/VG+, INNER/SL US $7.23 Buy It Now 4 days
GARY WRIGHT, TOUCH AND GONE /SPOOKY TOOTH/ LP 1977 UK 1ST PRESS A1/B1 EX/VG G/F US $7.23 Buy It Now 4 days
Spooky Tooth / Pierre Henry - Ceremony An Electronic Mass ILPS 9107 UK LP Pink US $3.75 [2 bids]
ROCK CUTS VOL 1 ULTRA RARE OZ CASSETTE TAPE! SPOOKY TOOTH GOLDEN EARRING THEM US $14.26 Buy It Now 4 days
NEW - Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth US $1.90 Buy It Now 4 days
VG++ Friends Spooky Tooth Free The Move Humble Pie Lee Michaels LP Album US $2.99 [0 bids]
1970 SPOOKY TOOTH w/ Mike Harrison THE LAST PUFF LP A&M Silver Label SP4266 US $9.95 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy SPOOKY TOOTH music online Buy SPOOKY TOOTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPOOKY TOOTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars This is another one of the many semi-interesting albums that came out around the time I was moving out of the familial nest into my own apartment so several of the songs from it always take me back to that magical era of innocence and wonder when the world was mine to give. I really didn't know much about Spooky Tooth but my prog-minded friends had played a few choice cuts for me from their earlier records and I liked what I heard. But this LP was getting some prime airplay on the more renegade FM station broadcasting in North Texas and I was intrigued enough to invest my meager funds in this album. I must've played side one hundreds of times. While it's not exactly greatness and not really very proggy, it has a cool aura about it that represents well the climate of bands liberally mixing all kinds of musical genres together, a trend that was prevalent as they traversed the cusp of those two heady decades.

In my research for this review I found out that this offering was pasted together utilizing shredded bits and pieces of what was left of a group that had put out two well-received progressive rock albums and then imploded. Only half of the original six members were still hanging around and I get the impression that vocalist Mike Harrison, guitarist Luther Grosvenor and drummer Mike Kellie were gallantly doing their best to fulfill the group's contract obligations to the label and make the most of a mess. Usually these fractured situations end up producing awful crap that only serves to bring disgrace upon said combo's legacy but "The Last Puff" doesn't belong in that category. It ain't bad at all. Harrison brought in Henry McCulloch, Chris Stainton and Alan Spenner from Joe Cocker's Grease Band to flesh out the sessions and, considering the circumstances, they did a bang up job.

One of the cuts that garnered a spot in heavy rotation on the radio in 1970 was their terrific, dark take on "I Am the Walrus." Beatles music was still somewhat of a sacred cow in those days and few groups outside of the progressive rock scene dared to fool around with anything written by Lennon/McCartney for fear of incurring the wrath of the Gods but the ultra- slow, macabre atmosphere these guys created drew listeners in immediately and without protest. Mike's voice is perfect for the grey mood of this delightful Hammond-laden dirge because he sounds like a man dancing along the jagged edge of insanity throughout. Another big difference is the lack of all the lush orchestration and odd incidental sound effects that colored the original. This is a late-night, no-frills, six-piece rock & roll outfit version that would be right at home being performed in a smoky, dimly-lit cabaret bar at 2am. It has a tough, metallic heaviness to it that is superb and rarely achieved. One of the finest Beatles covers ever in my book.

Original keyboard man Gary Wright had long since moved on to form the short-lived Wonderwheel ensemble but he left behind an excellent tune entitled "The Wrong Time" and it's the highlight of this project. It features a sublime rock guitar riff that's one of my favorites from that era and the all-female chorus packs a strong punch every time it comes around. The rhythm section of drummer Kellie and bassist Spenner maintains an infectious groove that manages to both flow and drive at the same time. Luther's Jimmy Page-ish blues/rock guitar solo and interspersed licks blaze a fiery trail through the number and his gutsy tone is to drool over. Next up is an obscure Joe Cocker ditty called "Something to Say" and although it takes a while for the band to settle into the proper feel, Harrison's soulful rasp carries the load admirably until they do. They eventually find it and hit their stride when the repeating hook line arrives and the swaying, gospel-styled chorale sends it soaring into the wild blue yonder. The musicians then lock firmly into a piano-led, Traffic-like stroll to the fade out that makes me feel like being outside on a sunny spring day.

Speaking of Traffic, side two begins with "Nobody There At All," a song that gives off a palpable Dave Mason folk/rock vibe but, unfortunately, there's nothing that really stands out. It just sorta lopes along for four minutes. David Ackles' "Down River" is an improvement but this somber, sentimental girl-that-got-away tune fails to find its footing until much later on when the group finally shakes off their restraints and plays with emotion- fueled abandon. "Son of Your Father" is a decent rendition of that memorable Elton John/Bernie Taupin composition (culled from the outstanding, underappreciated "Tumbleweed Connection" album) yet the track's a little too loose for my taste and it loses its focus quickly. They perk things up with the final cut, Stainton's "The Last Puff," but it's not much more than a two-chord jam throughout which Chris bounces expertly across the piano keys. The fact that it's the lone instrumental causes me to think it was perhaps a demo that never got Mike's vocal added on to it but, since it possessed such a tight and lively groove, they decided to stick it on anyway as the caboose.

In all honesty, other than the first two songs, this is pretty standard rock & roll fare that probably won't make anyone's top 100 album list but I try to keep in mind that 1970 was a very exciting but confusing year in popular music and groups like Spooky Tooth working on both sides of the Atlantic were trying to figure out how they were going to survive in the new decade and a lot of albums released in that timeframe were hit and miss at best. As for me, even with its flaws, "The Last Puff" brings back some fond memories of my first taste of unfettered freedom and that's enough reason to cherish it as a memento. 2.6 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#293719) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 07, 2010

4 stars The Last Puff is Spooky Tooth's fourth album and the last one before a break for three years. This album was recorded while the band had already fallen a part, containing only three original Spooky members: Mike Harrison on vocals, Luther Grosvenor at the guitars and Mike Kelly on drums. The band wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#911662) | Posted by the philosopher | Saturday, February 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPOOKY TOOTH "The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison)"