THE LAST PUFF ( FEATURING MIKE HARRISON)

Spooky Tooth

Mike Harrison Keyboards, Vocals
Brian Humphries Engineer
Mike Kellie Drums
Henry McCullough Guitar
Alan Spenner Bass, Guitar (Bass)
Chris Stainton Organ, Guitar, Piano, Guitar (Bass), Keyboards, Producer

Vinyl LP - Island 6339004 (1970)
CD - Repertoire Repuk 1073 ( 2005)

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPOOKY TOOTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) Music

The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only YesterdayThe Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday
Remastered
A&M 1999
Spooky TwoSpooky Two
Import · Limited Edition
Universal Japan 2008
It's All AboutIt's All About
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2005
Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2009
Spooky TwoSpooky Two
A&M 1990
Lost BroadcastsLost Broadcasts
Widescreen
United States Dist 2012
DVD$8.71
Spooky Tooth: Nomad Poets Live in GermanySpooky Tooth: Nomad Poets Live in Germany
Multiple Formats
Koch Records 2007
DVD$9.63
SPOOKY TOOTH YOU BROKE MY HEART SO I BUSTED YOUR JAW A&M PROMO 1973 US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
SPOOKY TOOTH BEST OF 1975 JAPAN CD PHCR-4844 US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
MIKE HARRISON "Rainbow Rider" SEALED LP 1975 (Island ILPS 9359). SPOOKY TOOTH US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 58m
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ISLAND 85 685 IT GERMANY I Am The Walrus EX LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 12h 8m
SPOOKY TOOTH "WITNESS" ALBUM ADVERT 1973 MIKE HARRISON GARY WRIGHT ETC US $21.14 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Spooky Tooth Self-Titled US $16.50 [13 bids]
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two UK Press Later Issue Pink Rim Palm Label US $14.50 [6 bids]
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff US $5.50 [6 bids]
Spooky Tooth The Mirror US $11.50 [15 bids]
Spooky Tooth Witness US $12.50 [17 bids]
Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw US $2.22 [4 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH:SON OF YOUR FATHER/I'VE GOT ENOUGH HEARTACHE US $4.90 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth With Pierre Henry - Ceremony (NEW CD) US $19.16 Buy It Now 19h 9m
SPOOKY TOOTH: The Last Puff (rare rock & pop LP) US $40.00 Buy It Now 19h 47m
SPOOKY TOOTH you broke my heart so i busted your jaw LP VG SP 4385 Vinyl 1973 US $8.00 Buy It Now 22h 9m
SPOOKY TOOTH WITNESS VG+ PINK RIM LABELS HEAR IT US $12.00 Buy It Now 22h 30m
SPOOKY TOOTH Two Time Love / The Hoofer UK GOODEAR 1974 Mike Patto HEAVY ROCK US $6.45 Buy It Now 23h 39m
Spooky Tooth "The Last Puff" vinyl LP German Pink Island #6339 004 EX vinyl! US $29.99 [0 bids]
CD-Spooky Tooth-Cross Purpose UK Hard Rock Psych~pop US $8.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Two by Spooky Tooth (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $19.95 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH ceremony LP 6 track laminated sleeve (6444540) german fontana 1969 US $33.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Spooky Tooth: The Mirror ~ Lp Record Album ~ 1974 Island Vinyl ~ ILPS-9292 US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT Dream Weaver BEAUTIFUL ORIGINAL 1975 WARNER BROS LP Spooky Tooth US $5.96 [0 bids]
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth LP You Broke My Heart, So I Busted Your Jaw 1973 Gatefold EX US $12.95 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH 'Sunshine Help Me' 45 UK US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH 'That Was Only Yesterday / Oh Pretty Woman' 45 French US $20.00 [0 bids]
The V.I.Ps / SPOOKY TOOTH 'I Wanna Be Free' Mono French EP US $75.00 [0 bids]
Early Recordings David Bowie Led Zeppelin Status Quo Spooky Tooth US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MIKE HARRISON - Rainbow Rider LP Island cc Spooky Tooth US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH "tobacco road" 1971 A&M SP-4300 Psych Prog-LP VG+,VG+ US $3.50 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH TWO REEL TO REEL TAPE 4 TRACK Never played US $28.00 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Nomad Poets Live Germany '04 CD NEW SEALED US $8.15 Buy It Now 1 day
It's All About by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1996, Edsel (UK)) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH "CROSS PURPOSE" GERMAN IMPORT 1999 CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw by Spooky Tooth(A&M...1973) VG+ LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff 1970 First US Pressing Brown A&M Label SP42 Near Mint US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH-The Last Puff VINYL LP TOP COPY UK PINK RIM A1/B1 US $38.35 [1 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH ORIGINAL 1968 U.K. LP ITS ALL ABOUT PINK ISLAND EYE LABEL US $122.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Luther Grosvenor/Under Open Skies/1971 1st UK Island Gatefold LP/Spooky Tooth US $32.65 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH Cross Purpose CD 1999 Classic Bluesy Rock US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH: Son Of Your Father (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH "THE LAST PUFF" RARE A&M RECORDS STEREO RECORD ALBUM SP 4266 US $20.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH "WITNESS" RARE 1973 ISLAND RECORDS STEREO ALBUM SW-9337 US $20.00 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth - Mirror 1974 Island 1st Ed. LP w/ die cut cover US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
GARY WRIGHT - SPOOKY TOOTH "THAT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY" 2 A&M "LP's" VG+ CONDITION US $10.00 [0 bids]
Gary Wright & Spooky Tooth - That Was Only Yesterday - LP Record/Vinyl A&M Rec. US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Best of Spooky Tooth - Island Records - 1975 - LP US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRIENDS LP BLOODWYN PIG LEE MICHAELS QUINCY JONES THE MOVE FREE SPOOKY TOOTH US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Tremeloes/Marmalade/Simon Dupree/Nice/Spooky Tooth 1968 Brighton Flyer US $35.91 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH SUNSHINE HELP ME UK PSYCH AUSSIE ISSUE 45 FESTIVAL SAMPLE PROMO US $40.70 [0 bids]
PIERRE HENRY & SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony PHILIPS French orig LP Psych US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR RARE DELETED CD FANTASY SATISFIER MICK JONES ETC US $18.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Bumpers,Blodwyn Pig,Mott The Hoople,If,Spooky Tooth,Free,Jethro Tull,LP US $54.67 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth - You Broke My Heart so I Busted Your Jaw LP Original Gatefold US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Fairport Convention/Jethro Tull/Spooky Tooth & more,You Can All Join In,LP US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
[LP] Spooky Tooth,Spooky Two (Island) {NM} US $26.39 Buy It Now 2 days
GARY WRIGHT - DREAM WEAVER - 7" (SPOOKY TOOTH / WAYNE'S WORLD) VG CONDITION US $1.62 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two A&M USA 1969 Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $52.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff A&M Analog Reissue Near Mint ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH The Mirror LP 1974 Island Records Canada VG/GD Prog Rock Album US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EX/EX- !! Mike Harrison/Self Titled/1971 Island LP/Spooky Tooth US $44.89 Buy It Now 2 days
EX UK ISLAND LP - SPOOKY TOOTH - YOU BROKE MY HEART SO I BUSTED YOUR JAW US $18.77 [2 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH "You Broke My Heart So I busted Your Jaw" 1973 Blues Rock LP VG++ US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH Spooky Two (1969)/Island ILPS 9098 US $14.68 [0 bids]
LP-Spooky Tooth-You Broke My Heart So I busted..70's UK hard rock-US issue US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gary Wright Spooky Tooth Sealed Solo LP 1977 US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH two UK ORIGINAL PINK ISLAND ILPS-9098 LP psych US $99.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH The Mirror  ISLAND die cut cover VG+ US $25.55 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH--SPOOKY TOOTH--SELF TITLED ORIG 1968 LP--BELL RECORDS BELL 6019 US $20.00 [2 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH--SPOOKY TWO--ORIG 1969 LP--A&M RECORDS SP 4194 US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH LP S/T SELT TITLED - BELL 6019 - STEREO - NICE COPY! US $7.50 [7 bids]
The Mirror, Spooky Tooth, Good Import US $30.75 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH CASSETTE TAPE MIRROR MADE IN EEC1993 US $7.46 Buy It Now 3 days
2 LPs - Canned Heat Hallelujah & Spooky Tooth, You Broke my Heart so I busted US $6.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH-Witness-OR.ISLAND PROG.PROMO LP CLASSIC! US $7.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH LP THE LAST PUFF - RARE WHITE LABEL PROMO - A&M US $6.50 [5 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH LP TOBACCO ROAD - RARE WHITE LABEL PROMO - A&M US $2.01 [2 bids]
Island People m- various LP Spooky Tooth Wailers Bob Marley Traffic US $9.75 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - WITNESS CD 2005 Repertoire U.K. OOP NEW STILL SEALED US $29.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Witness vinyl record US $9.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth-All Sewn Up 7" German P/S 1973 US $13.04 Buy It Now 3 days
Gary Wright Light Smiles 12" LP 1977 Warner Brothers Spooky Tooth VG+/VG++ US $3.99 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT ex SPOOKY TOOTH - The Right Place Lp - Warner - SEALED CUT OUT US $7.99 [0 bids]
MIKE HARRISON Rainbow Rider '75 Island SPOOKY TOOTH Area Code 615 in shrink M- US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth - You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw - Original Vinyl LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
ART SUPERNATURAL FAIRY TALES RARE '67 german V.I.P.'s island LP spooky tooth NM! US $259.00 Buy It Now 4 days
GARY WRIGHT SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Only Yesterday ROCK 2XLP A&M Gatefold US $5.00 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT The Dream Weaver 1975 US issue 8-TR STILL SEALED! SPOOKY TOOTH US $12.95 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth:Witness LP/1973 Island US pink rim psych US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH W/ MIKE HARRISON - THE LAST PUFF - 1970 ORIG. EX. VINYL US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Spooky Tooth - 'Spooky Two' UK 'pink eye' Island label ILPS 9098 first issue US $4.08 [2 bids]
YOU CAN ALL JOIN IN - Island Sampler 1969 - Jethro Tull, Free, Spooky Tooth, Etc US $11.35 [0 bids]
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1970 SPOOKY TOOTH WITH.MIKE HARRISON The Last Puff SP 4266 US $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
GARY WRIGHT Extraction WHITE LABEL PROMO Spooky Tooth US $22.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH All sewn up 7" USA ROCK POP US $6.51 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - IT'S ALL ABOUT 68 DEBUT + SINGLES & LIVE BBC BONUS TRKS SEALED CD US $22.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw vinyl LP 1973 US $4.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Spooky Tooth Witness LP Island SW-9337 1973 Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
10/45's 60's Rock Pic Sleeves & 45's Spooky tooth & Surfaris Many N M # 83 US $24.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SPOOKY TOOTH music online Buy SPOOKY TOOTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPOOKY TOOTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(21%)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars This is another one of the many semi-interesting albums that came out around the time I was moving out of the familial nest into my own apartment so several of the songs from it always take me back to that magical era of innocence and wonder when the world was mine to give. I really didn't know much about Spooky Tooth but my prog-minded friends had played a few choice cuts for me from their earlier records and I liked what I heard. But this LP was getting some prime airplay on the more renegade FM station broadcasting in North Texas and I was intrigued enough to invest my meager funds in this album. I must've played side one hundreds of times. While it's not exactly greatness and not really very proggy, it has a cool aura about it that represents well the climate of bands liberally mixing all kinds of musical genres together, a trend that was prevalent as they traversed the cusp of those two heady decades.

In my research for this review I found out that this offering was pasted together utilizing shredded bits and pieces of what was left of a group that had put out two well-received progressive rock albums and then imploded. Only half of the original six members were still hanging around and I get the impression that vocalist Mike Harrison, guitarist Luther Grosvenor and drummer Mike Kellie were gallantly doing their best to fulfill the group's contract obligations to the label and make the most of a mess. Usually these fractured situations end up producing awful crap that only serves to bring disgrace upon said combo's legacy but "The Last Puff" doesn't belong in that category. It ain't bad at all. Harrison brought in Henry McCulloch, Chris Stainton and Alan Spenner from Joe Cocker's Grease Band to flesh out the sessions and, considering the circumstances, they did a bang up job.

One of the cuts that garnered a spot in heavy rotation on the radio in 1970 was their terrific, dark take on "I Am the Walrus." Beatles music was still somewhat of a sacred cow in those days and few groups outside of the progressive rock scene dared to fool around with anything written by Lennon/McCartney for fear of incurring the wrath of the Gods but the ultra- slow, macabre atmosphere these guys created drew listeners in immediately and without protest. Mike's voice is perfect for the grey mood of this delightful Hammond-laden dirge because he sounds like a man dancing along the jagged edge of insanity throughout. Another big difference is the lack of all the lush orchestration and odd incidental sound effects that colored the original. This is a late-night, no-frills, six-piece rock & roll outfit version that would be right at home being performed in a smoky, dimly-lit cabaret bar at 2am. It has a tough, metallic heaviness to it that is superb and rarely achieved. One of the finest Beatles covers ever in my book.

Original keyboard man Gary Wright had long since moved on to form the short-lived Wonderwheel ensemble but he left behind an excellent tune entitled "The Wrong Time" and it's the highlight of this project. It features a sublime rock guitar riff that's one of my favorites from that era and the all-female chorus packs a strong punch every time it comes around. The rhythm section of drummer Kellie and bassist Spenner maintains an infectious groove that manages to both flow and drive at the same time. Luther's Jimmy Page-ish blues/rock guitar solo and interspersed licks blaze a fiery trail through the number and his gutsy tone is to drool over. Next up is an obscure Joe Cocker ditty called "Something to Say" and although it takes a while for the band to settle into the proper feel, Harrison's soulful rasp carries the load admirably until they do. They eventually find it and hit their stride when the repeating hook line arrives and the swaying, gospel-styled chorale sends it soaring into the wild blue yonder. The musicians then lock firmly into a piano-led, Traffic-like stroll to the fade out that makes me feel like being outside on a sunny spring day.

Speaking of Traffic, side two begins with "Nobody There At All," a song that gives off a palpable Dave Mason folk/rock vibe but, unfortunately, there's nothing that really stands out. It just sorta lopes along for four minutes. David Ackles' "Down River" is an improvement but this somber, sentimental girl-that-got-away tune fails to find its footing until much later on when the group finally shakes off their restraints and plays with emotion- fueled abandon. "Son of Your Father" is a decent rendition of that memorable Elton John/Bernie Taupin composition (culled from the outstanding, underappreciated "Tumbleweed Connection" album) yet the track's a little too loose for my taste and it loses its focus quickly. They perk things up with the final cut, Stainton's "The Last Puff," but it's not much more than a two-chord jam throughout which Chris bounces expertly across the piano keys. The fact that it's the lone instrumental causes me to think it was perhaps a demo that never got Mike's vocal added on to it but, since it possessed such a tight and lively groove, they decided to stick it on anyway as the caboose.

In all honesty, other than the first two songs, this is pretty standard rock & roll fare that probably won't make anyone's top 100 album list but I try to keep in mind that 1970 was a very exciting but confusing year in popular music and groups like Spooky Tooth working on both sides of the Atlantic were trying to figure out how they were going to survive in the new decade and a lot of albums released in that timeframe were hit and miss at best. As for me, even with its flaws, "The Last Puff" brings back some fond memories of my first taste of unfettered freedom and that's enough reason to cherish it as a memento. 2.6 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#293719) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 07, 2010

4 stars The Last Puff is Spooky Tooth's fourth album and the last one before a break for three years. This album was recorded while the band had already fallen a part, containing only three original Spooky members: Mike Harrison on vocals, Luther Grosvenor at the guitars and Mike Kelly on drums. The band wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#911662) | Posted by the philosopher | Saturday, February 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPOOKY TOOTH "The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison)"