THE LAST PUFF ( FEATURING MIKE HARRISON)

Spooky Tooth

Mike Harrison Keyboards, Vocals
Brian Humphries Engineer
Mike Kellie Drums
Henry McCullough Guitar
Alan Spenner Bass, Guitar (Bass)
Chris Stainton Organ, Guitar, Piano, Guitar (Bass), Keyboards, Producer

Vinyl LP - Island 6339004 (1970)
CD - Repertoire Repuk 1073 ( 2005)

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPOOKY TOOTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) Music

The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only YesterdayThe Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday
Remastered
A&M 1999
Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2009
You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your JawYou Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2005
Spooky Tooth: Nomad Poets Live in GermanySpooky Tooth: Nomad Poets Live in Germany
Multiple Formats
It's All AboutIt's All About
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO REEL TO REEL TAPE 7 1/2 IPS US $29.99 [1 bids]
49m 30s
Spooky Tooth - You Broke My Heart so I Busted Your Jaw LP Original Gatefold US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH YOU BROKE MY HEART SO I BUSTED YOUR JAW WHITE LABEL PROMO EX+ US $14.99 [0 bids]
rare spooky tooth lp you broke my heart so i broke yr jaw oz 1st press lower US $82.55 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Spooky Tooth Featuring Mike Harrison,The Last Puff,Matrix A//1 & B//1,LP US $44.45 Buy It Now 9h 48m
Bumpers,Blodwyn Pig,Mott The Hoople,If,Spooky Tooth,Free,Jethro Tull,LP US $61.55 Buy It Now 9h 48m
SPOOKY TOOTH - 7"Single - All Sewn Up/Things Change, EX+ US $11.95 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records (Germany)) US $0.49 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth - CD 1970/2005 - The Last Puff (bonus tracks) US $13.60 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two 1969 Stereo LP VG++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 32m
Spooky Tooth - The Mirror - 1974 8-Track Deep Purple Uriah Heep Humble Pie Rush US $3.99 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT The Right Place WARNER 1981 Spooky Tooth US $9.98 Buy It Now 14h 22m
SPOOKY TOOTH-THE BEST OF..... CD NEW US $14.02 Buy It Now 16h
SPOOKY TOOTH -You Broke My Heart.... So I Busted Your Jaw- 1973 LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - I am the Walrus(BEATLES)-7"/45 Island-Norway 1970-UNIQUE SL.-EX US $28.99 [0 bids]
JOHN CALE ROXY MUSIC ENO JETHRO TULL KING CRIMSON TRAFFIC FREE SPOOKY TOOTH VACD US $6.99 Buy It Now 17h 26m
Gary Wright/Spooky Tooth,That Was Only Yesterday, Double LP, Record,Vinyl, Album US $13.99 Buy It Now 18h 18m
Spooky Tooth It's All About + 10 Bouns Tracks CD Original Import Band New Sealed US $17.78 Buy It Now 18h 41m
SPOOKY TOOTH FABULOUS SPOOKY 2 ALBUM FROM THIS GREAT PROG ROCK BAND VINYL IS NM US $9.98 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR 1992 CHARLY RECORDS VERY RARE OOP MADE IN THE ECC US $29.95 [0 bids]
The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday by Spooky Tooth (CD,... US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH "CEREMONY" REEL TO REEL W/PICTURE BOX US $39.99 Buy It Now 21h 41m
FRIENDS SAMPLER WITH HUMBLE PIE SPOOKY TOOTH OTHERS US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - THE BEST OF : Japan LP w/Obi : Promo, White Label : ILS-80804 US $35.99 Buy It Now 22h 13m
(RARE PROMO)-SPOOKY TOOTH-" YOU BROKE MY HEART SO I BUSTED YOUR JAW" LP, NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
23h
SPOOKY TOOTH / GARY WRIGHT: That Was Only Yesterday LP (2 WLPs, title US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH ~ SPOOKY TWO ~ ORIGINAL LP 1969 ON A&M SP 4194 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Japan Promo only LP Birki Gainsbourg Spooky Tooth Dusty US $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH "WITNESS" RARE 1973 ISLAND RECORDS STEREO ALBUM SW-9337 US $20.00 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth - You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw, Vinyl, LP, 1973, SP-4385 US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Best Of Spooky Tooth US $8.58 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH "Witness" LP 1973 Island records VG++ Vinyl US $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
FOREIGNER-Inside Information/LOU GRAMM/spooky tooth US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
ART - SUPERNATURAL FAIRY TALES pre SPOOKY TOOTH UK PSYCH ARIEL BENDER GUITAR CD US $21.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Todd Rundgren -Something? ,Rick Derringer-All American Boy, Spooky Tooth 8-track US $4.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Two SPOOKY TOOTH original issue A&M (USA) GARY WRIGHT Organ US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MIKE HARRISON - Somewhere Over the Rainbow dj 45 Island SPOOKY TOOTH US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH WITH PIERRE HENRY: Ceremony LP (UK, original pink 'i' label smooth US $75.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH w/ Pierre Henry Ceremony Vinyl LP PINK ISLAND ILPS9107 1969 US $59.84 Buy It Now 1 day
GARRY WRIGHT Dream Weather SPOOKY TOOTH solo MINT Lp US $5.26 [0 bids]
Ceremony by Spooky Tooth US $8.40 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH-Cross Purpose sealed CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
1960'S-70'S LOT OF 8 ROCK RECORDS SPOOKY TOOTH ELECTRIC PRUNES RASTUS HOT TUNA US $11.50 [2 bids]
Spooky Tooth lot of two records good condition US $2.00 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE LABEL GARY WRIGHT JAPAN SPOOKY TOOTH FOOTPR US $79.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Tobacco Road Spooky Tooth Promo White Label SP-4499 LP Vinyl Record Rock US $7.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO 2 ISLAND 85 785 ET GERMAN ART VIP'S HELLIONS REVOLUTION US $11.95 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH THE LAST PUFF A&M SP 4266 MIKE HARRISON AMERICAN ART VIP'S HELLIONS US $11.95 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth ?- Spooky Two ISLAND RE LP ~ SEALED! art US $17.10 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH**THE BEST OF SPOOKY TOOTH**CD US $11.08 Buy It Now 2 days
GARY WRIGHT The Dream Weaver LP OOP Spooky Tooth rock US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Andrew Leigh-Magician UK prog psych cd 1 bonus post Spooky Tooth US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH Cross Purpose CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE ONLY ONES 1978 ROCK LP SPECIAL VIEW MIKE KELLIE OF SPOOKY TOOTH DRUMMER NM US $6.50 [2 bids]
Spooky Tooth That was only Yesterday Test Pessing 1973 not a reissue US $21.87 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH, Weird, Heavy MALA 45! Sunshine Help Me, JIMMY MILLER PRODUCTION! US $5.00 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth - Best Of - CD US $13.66 Buy It Now 3 days
GARY WRIGHT spooky tooth water sign THE LIGHT OF SMILES (1976) CD Mint! US $24.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth The Mirror Gary Wright US $15.00 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Touch & Gone LP OOP Spooky Tooth soft-rock US $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH Witness Japan mini lp cd US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth - Lost In My Dream - An Antholog NEW CD US $19.89 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth YOU BROKE MY HEART .....Original A&M Release SP4385 US $0.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - LP BELL 6019 - 1968 RECORD IS NEAR MINT US $12.00 [1 bids]
Spooky Tooth-The Last Puff-Vinyl LP Record-Original A&M Pressing-1970-MINT US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH YOU BROKE MY HEART SO I BUSTED YOUR JAW SP-4385 VINYL LP 1973 VG+!! US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH 5 LP LOT "The Mirror"+ "Witness" + "Ceremony" + "Last Puff" + "Two" US $19.99 [0 bids]
RARE! Gary Wright: Touch And Gone (M/M LP still sealed in shrink, Spooky Tooth US $8.55 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH W/PIERRE HENRY ATTENTION! GERMAN LP N/MINT US $40.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - SPOOKY TWO - NEW US $32.30 Buy It Now 3 days
LUTHER GROSVENOR "Under Open Skies" Orig 1971 UK Pink Rim SPOOKY TOOTH Psych M- US $19.95 [0 bids]
LP SPOOKY TOOTH The Mirror CHARLY UK IMPORT PSYCH CR 30167 NEAR MINT US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH: Witness LP (pink rim palm tree label, w/ company inner sleeve, sl US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff,with I Am A Walrus US $5.00 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT. THE DREAM WEAVER. WARNER BROSS. BS 2868. 1975. EX SPOOKY TOOTH US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Gary Wright/Spooky Tooth-That Was Only Yesterday (New & Sealed Promo LP) US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
? Gary Wright - Dream Weaver (W.B.) (ex-Spooky Tooth) US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
? Gary Wright - Right Place (ex-Spooky Tooth) (sealed) US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
? Gary Wright - Extraction (A&M) (PL) (ex-Spooky Tooth) US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH 6 VINYL LP RECORD LOT WRIGHT WITNESS PUFF TOBACCO 70'S PSYCH ROCK US $15.00 [0 bids]
LP RARE SPOOKY TOOTH You Broke My Heart BRAZIL PINK ISland Prog US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Spooky Tooth - Lost In My Dream - An Antholog (NEW CD) US $23.50 Buy It Now 4 days
TEST PRESS / SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO / FOX7010 US $599.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw '73 NM- US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH USA DJ 7" on Island, ALL SEWN UP w/Gary Wright & Mick Jones US $7.20 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - Son Of Your Father -1969 German pink Island label 7" vinyl single US $30.77 Buy It Now 4 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff First Press Pink Island A1/B1 UK LP NM Play ILPS 9117 US $11.18 [13 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH WITNESS RARE 1973 ISLAND STEREO GROUP ROCK VINYL LP NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Ceremony by Spooky Tooth (CD, 1988, Mantra 017) France US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH, You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw LP US $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
V.I.P.'s S/T CD NEW SEALED GARAGE ROCK ART SPOOKY TOOTH ELP NICE HUMBLE PIE US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1970 SPOOKY TOOTH Feat.MIKE HARRISON The Last Puff SP 4266 US $22.50 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH: You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw LP (original brown lbl, g US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH: Spooky Tooth LP (wol) rare Rock & Pop US $50.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH YOU BROKE MY HEART SO I BUSTED YOUR JAW LP US $19.95 Buy It Now 5 days
SPOOKY TOOTH- 7 NEW RARE JEWEL CASE CDS- 4 REPERTOIRE LABEL + WRIGHT-ANDY LEIGH US $129.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Spooky Tooth feat. Mike Harrison - the Last Puff LP Japan Promo White Label 1970 US $62.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Spooky Tooth Witness LP Original UK Island ILPS 9255 Gatefold Hard Rock US $34.95 [0 bids]
Gary Wright Touch And Gone LP 1977 UK 1st Press NM Vinyl Spooky Tooth WB K56435 US $29.95 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy SPOOKY TOOTH music online Buy SPOOKY TOOTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPOOKY TOOTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars This is another one of the many semi-interesting albums that came out around the time I was moving out of the familial nest into my own apartment so several of the songs from it always take me back to that magical era of innocence and wonder when the world was mine to give. I really didn't know much about Spooky Tooth but my prog-minded friends had played a few choice cuts for me from their earlier records and I liked what I heard. But this LP was getting some prime airplay on the more renegade FM station broadcasting in North Texas and I was intrigued enough to invest my meager funds in this album. I must've played side one hundreds of times. While it's not exactly greatness and not really very proggy, it has a cool aura about it that represents well the climate of bands liberally mixing all kinds of musical genres together, a trend that was prevalent as they traversed the cusp of those two heady decades.

In my research for this review I found out that this offering was pasted together utilizing shredded bits and pieces of what was left of a group that had put out two well-received progressive rock albums and then imploded. Only half of the original six members were still hanging around and I get the impression that vocalist Mike Harrison, guitarist Luther Grosvenor and drummer Mike Kellie were gallantly doing their best to fulfill the group's contract obligations to the label and make the most of a mess. Usually these fractured situations end up producing awful crap that only serves to bring disgrace upon said combo's legacy but "The Last Puff" doesn't belong in that category. It ain't bad at all. Harrison brought in Henry McCulloch, Chris Stainton and Alan Spenner from Joe Cocker's Grease Band to flesh out the sessions and, considering the circumstances, they did a bang up job.

One of the cuts that garnered a spot in heavy rotation on the radio in 1970 was their terrific, dark take on "I Am the Walrus." Beatles music was still somewhat of a sacred cow in those days and few groups outside of the progressive rock scene dared to fool around with anything written by Lennon/McCartney for fear of incurring the wrath of the Gods but the ultra- slow, macabre atmosphere these guys created drew listeners in immediately and without protest. Mike's voice is perfect for the grey mood of this delightful Hammond-laden dirge because he sounds like a man dancing along the jagged edge of insanity throughout. Another big difference is the lack of all the lush orchestration and odd incidental sound effects that colored the original. This is a late-night, no-frills, six-piece rock & roll outfit version that would be right at home being performed in a smoky, dimly-lit cabaret bar at 2am. It has a tough, metallic heaviness to it that is superb and rarely achieved. One of the finest Beatles covers ever in my book.

Original keyboard man Gary Wright had long since moved on to form the short-lived Wonderwheel ensemble but he left behind an excellent tune entitled "The Wrong Time" and it's the highlight of this project. It features a sublime rock guitar riff that's one of my favorites from that era and the all-female chorus packs a strong punch every time it comes around. The rhythm section of drummer Kellie and bassist Spenner maintains an infectious groove that manages to both flow and drive at the same time. Luther's Jimmy Page-ish blues/rock guitar solo and interspersed licks blaze a fiery trail through the number and his gutsy tone is to drool over. Next up is an obscure Joe Cocker ditty called "Something to Say" and although it takes a while for the band to settle into the proper feel, Harrison's soulful rasp carries the load admirably until they do. They eventually find it and hit their stride when the repeating hook line arrives and the swaying, gospel-styled chorale sends it soaring into the wild blue yonder. The musicians then lock firmly into a piano-led, Traffic-like stroll to the fade out that makes me feel like being outside on a sunny spring day.

Speaking of Traffic, side two begins with "Nobody There At All," a song that gives off a palpable Dave Mason folk/rock vibe but, unfortunately, there's nothing that really stands out. It just sorta lopes along for four minutes. David Ackles' "Down River" is an improvement but this somber, sentimental girl-that-got-away tune fails to find its footing until much later on when the group finally shakes off their restraints and plays with emotion- fueled abandon. "Son of Your Father" is a decent rendition of that memorable Elton John/Bernie Taupin composition (culled from the outstanding, underappreciated "Tumbleweed Connection" album) yet the track's a little too loose for my taste and it loses its focus quickly. They perk things up with the final cut, Stainton's "The Last Puff," but it's not much more than a two-chord jam throughout which Chris bounces expertly across the piano keys. The fact that it's the lone instrumental causes me to think it was perhaps a demo that never got Mike's vocal added on to it but, since it possessed such a tight and lively groove, they decided to stick it on anyway as the caboose.

In all honesty, other than the first two songs, this is pretty standard rock & roll fare that probably won't make anyone's top 100 album list but I try to keep in mind that 1970 was a very exciting but confusing year in popular music and groups like Spooky Tooth working on both sides of the Atlantic were trying to figure out how they were going to survive in the new decade and a lot of albums released in that timeframe were hit and miss at best. As for me, even with its flaws, "The Last Puff" brings back some fond memories of my first taste of unfettered freedom and that's enough reason to cherish it as a memento. 2.6 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#293719) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 07, 2010

4 stars The Last Puff is Spooky Tooth's fourth album and the last one before a break for three years. This album was recorded while the band had already fallen a part, containing only three original Spooky members: Mike Harrison on vocals, Luther Grosvenor at the guitars and Mike Kelly on drums. The band wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#911662) | Posted by the philosopher | Saturday, February 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPOOKY TOOTH "The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison)"