THE LAST PUFF ( FEATURING MIKE HARRISON)

Spooky Tooth

Mike Harrison Keyboards, Vocals
Brian Humphries Engineer
Mike Kellie Drums
Henry McCullough Guitar
Alan Spenner Bass, Guitar (Bass)
Chris Stainton Organ, Guitar, Piano, Guitar (Bass), Keyboards, Producer

Vinyl LP - Island 6339004 (1970)
CD - Repertoire Repuk 1073 ( 2005)

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPOOKY TOOTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) Music

Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2009
The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only YesterdayThe Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday
Remastered
Import · Remastered
Spooky TwoSpooky Two
A&M Records
Vinyl$4.97 (used)
Spooky Tooth original die cut cover in shrink LP LP The Mirror US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO 1969 A US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 51m
SPOOKY TOOTH ceremony 1969-UK EARLY PRESS - PINK ISLAND LABEL - GOOD US $10.97 [2 bids]
+++ SPOOKY TOOTH - The Last Puff - Island psych UK 1st press - nr MINT RARE US $28.74 [2 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO 2 ISLAND 85 785 ET GERMAN ART VIP'S HELLIONS REVOLUTION US $11.82 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff Original LP NM US $35.00 Buy It Now 12h 9m
+++ SPOOKY TOOTH - Spooky Two - pink eye Island psych UK 1st press - RARE 1st pr US $33.40 [5 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH It's All About+5 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SEALED US $45.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH WITNESS JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SEALED US $27.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH PIERRE HENRY ceremony JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SEALED US $27.99 [0 bids]
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records (Germany) Music Rock US $3.95 Buy It Now 16h 33m
SPOOKY TOOTH- 7 NEW RARE JEWEL CASE CDS- 4 REPERTOIRE LABEL + WRIGHT-ANDY LEIGH US $129.00 Buy It Now 16h 54m
VINTAGE 1970 LP RECORD RELEASE THE LAST PUFF BY SPOOKY TOOTH - A US $12.95 Buy It Now 18h
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR CR30167 NM IMPORT FRENCH PRESSING US $30.00 Buy It Now 21h 5m
SPOOKY TOOTH WITNESS SW9337 EX US $20.00 Buy It Now 21h 8m
SPOOKY TOOTH THE LAST PUFF SP4266 VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 21h 10m
SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 23h 13m
SPOOKY TOOTH It's All About JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +5 US $39.99 Buy It Now 23h 13m
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff (1970) JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 23h 13m
Ceremony: An Electric Mass by Pierre Henry/Spooky Tooth (CD, May-2009, Esoter... US $19.85 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEST OF SPOOKY TOOTH rare israeli press US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records (Germany)) US $0.49 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Dream Weather SPOOKY TOOTH solo MINT Lp US $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Howl The Good~ORIG 1972 Rare Earth LP EX Spooky Tooth prog US $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT - SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Only Yesterday 1973 A&M VG++/EX 2 LP Records US $11.04 Buy It Now 1 day
VIP'S Early Spooky Tooth lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Spooky Tooth Witness 8 Track Tape TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT Spooky Tooth That Was Only Yesterday 8-Track Tape US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tremeloes/Marmalade/Simon Dupree/Nice/Spooky Tooth 1968 Brighton Concert Ticket US $37.19 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT -(LP)- THE DREAM WEAVER - FORMER CO-LEADER OF SPOOKY TOOTH - 1975 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH-Nomad Poets Live CD NEW US $16.19 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH, 60s BLUES PSYCHE ROCK LP, CEREMONY, A&M LABEL US $12.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth YOU BROKE MY HEART .....Original A&M Release SP4385 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Witness SW-9337 Island Records 1973 LP US $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two SP-4194 A&M Records LP US $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Spooky Tooth Featuring Mike Harrison The Last Puff SP-4266 A&M Records 1970 LP US $12.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Spooky Tooth-Last Puff-You Broke My Heart-Prog Rock?-Record Album LP Lot US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH IT'S ALL ABOUT JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-93501 US $57.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH - THE BEST OF SPOOKY TOOTH: THAT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY - NEW CD US $12.25 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH - All Sewn Up - Original 1973 UK 2-track Island 7" vinyl single US $16.89 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - All Sewn Up - Original 1973 German 2-track 7" vinyl single in p/s US $33.79 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - All Sewn Up - Original 1973 UK 2-track Island 7" vinyl sin US $18.58 Buy It Now 2 days
PROMO WHITE LABEL GARY WRIGHT JAPAN OBI SPOOKY TOOTH TH US $79.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH You Broke My Heart... Orig UK LP - Island Pink Rim Prog Psych Art US $10.99 [2 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - Two Time Love - Original 1974 German 2-track 7" vinyl single-p/s US $27.03 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - Waitin' For The Wind - Original 1969 German 2-trk 7" single -p/s US $33.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff A&M Analog Reissue Near Mint ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two A&M USA 1969 Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $52.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth It's All About UK Island Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $60.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff 1st 1970 A&M Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $17.60 Buy It Now 2 days
FRIENDS SAMPLER WITH HUMBLE PIE SPOOKY TOOTH OTHERS US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff (1970) JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]
CD-Spooky Tooth-Cross Purpose UK Hard Rock Psych~pop US $8.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - "THE LAST PUFF", PROG ROCK, ORIGINAL LABEL, EXCEL US $1.04 [2 bids]
Spooky Tooth Lp Tobacco Road Nr Mint Brown Label w Mike Harrison US $8.50 [0 bids]
ARAB STRAP Spooky Tooth LADYTRON Venus Ray CD Drugstore US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH -WITNESS---CLASSIC ROCK----SW-9337---VERY GOOD+ SHRINK WRAP!!!!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Best of Spooky Tooth - Island Records - 1975 - LP US $24.99 [0 bids]
Trapeze - Hot Wire - RARE cd James Gang Whitesnake Deep Purple Spooky Tooth OOP US $26.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH: Spooky Two LP A&M RECORDS SP4194 US 1969 WHITE PROMO LABEL VG+ US $24.29 Buy It Now 2 days
RARE 1969 IMPORT NEAR MINT Traffic Nirvana Free Spooky Tooth Tull FREE US SHIP US $29.88 Buy It Now 2 days
MICK JONES " P/S 45 1980s ROCK Spooky Tooth Foreigner US $3.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Pages From An Autograph Book memorabilia UK Autographed US $64.15 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - BEST CD ~ 70's BLUES ~ GARY WRIGHT *NEW* US $23.08 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth (Reunion) Cross Purpose CD Blues-Rock US $5.24 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - LAST PUFF - UK 1st Pink i / Island / Psych / ILPS 9117 US $32.64 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth All Sewn Up 7" vinyl single record German 13062AT ISLAND 1973 US $21.47 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth - Best of (2004) BETTER BY YOU, BETTER THAN ME THE WEIGHT 70s rock US $1.67 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Touch And Gone LP Spooky Tooth Ringo Starr Arrival / Warner '77 US $9.30 Buy It Now 3 days
Luther Grosvenor-Under Open Skies-Island 9168-ENGLAND SPOOKY TOOTH US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff,with I Am A Walrus US $5.00 [0 bids]
LP-Spooky Tooth-You Broke My Heart So I busted..70's UK hard rock-US issue US $9.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth You broke my heart so I busted your jaw Vinyl LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth With Pierre Henry,Ceremony,Rare First Pressing,LP US $48.16 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH/PIERRE HENRY;CEREMONY US $11.82 [1 bids]
DEEP FEELING - PRETTY COLOURS UK PSYCH w/future TRAFFIC FAMILY SPOOKY TOOTH CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 3 days
FRIENDS A&M White Label Promo V/A LP US Cat Stevens Spooky Tooth Humble Pie US $9.98 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - IT'S ALL ABOUT (IMPORT) NEW CD US $44.47 Buy It Now 3 days
PIERRE HENRY / SPOOKY TOOTH "CEREMONY" FRENCH 70'S LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The V.I.Ps / SPOOKY TOOTH 'I Wanna Be Free' Mono French EP US $75.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH 'Sunshine Help Me' 45 UK US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH 'That Was Only Yesterday / Oh Pretty Woman' 45 French US $20.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH-HELL OR HIGH WATER/THE MIRROR ISLAND IS004 NM 45 US $7.98 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR 1992 CHARLY RECORDS VERY RARE OOP MADE IN THE ECC US $14.95 [0 bids]
Gary Wright Spooky Tooth - That Was Only Yesterday (2 LP, 1972 SP-3258) VG++/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH "WITNESS" RARE 1973 ISLAND RECORDS STEREO ALBUM SW-9337 US $20.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH "THE LAST PUFF" RARE A&M RECORDS STEREO RECORD ALBUM SP 4266 US $20.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH ~ THE LAST PUFF ~ A&M SP 4266 US $7.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH "SPOOKY TWO" ORIG. UK PRESS *TEXTURED ISLAND* BARELY PLAYED VINYL!! US $19.00 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Pierre Henry - Ceremony LP Vinyl RE US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
GARY WRIGHT / SPOOKY TOOTH - only yesterday: Best of 2-LP A&M wlp US $15.50 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH LP HARD ROCK MIKE HARRISON MICK JONES US $4.99 [0 bids]
GARRY WRIGHT Dream Weather SPOOKY TOOTH solo MINT Lp US $5.26 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT - THE RIGHT PLACE Synth Pop / 80's Spooky Tooth Near Mint Plus US $4.44 [0 bids]
? Spooky Tooth - Witness (Island 9337) (Mike Harrison, Gary Wright) US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
? Spooky Tooth - You Broke My Heart, So I Busted Your Jaw (A&M 4385) Gary Wright US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records) US $1.75 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Only Yesterday ROCK 2XLP A&M Gatefold US $9.99 [0 bids]
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records) US $2.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy SPOOKY TOOTH music online Buy SPOOKY TOOTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPOOKY TOOTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(10%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison) reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars This is another one of the many semi-interesting albums that came out around the time I was moving out of the familial nest into my own apartment so several of the songs from it always take me back to that magical era of innocence and wonder when the world was mine to give. I really didn't know much about Spooky Tooth but my prog-minded friends had played a few choice cuts for me from their earlier records and I liked what I heard. But this LP was getting some prime airplay on the more renegade FM station broadcasting in North Texas and I was intrigued enough to invest my meager funds in this album. I must've played side one hundreds of times. While it's not exactly greatness and not really very proggy, it has a cool aura about it that represents well the climate of bands liberally mixing all kinds of musical genres together, a trend that was prevalent as they traversed the cusp of those two heady decades.

In my research for this review I found out that this offering was pasted together utilizing shredded bits and pieces of what was left of a group that had put out two well-received progressive rock albums and then imploded. Only half of the original six members were still hanging around and I get the impression that vocalist Mike Harrison, guitarist Luther Grosvenor and drummer Mike Kellie were gallantly doing their best to fulfill the group's contract obligations to the label and make the most of a mess. Usually these fractured situations end up producing awful crap that only serves to bring disgrace upon said combo's legacy but "The Last Puff" doesn't belong in that category. It ain't bad at all. Harrison brought in Henry McCulloch, Chris Stainton and Alan Spenner from Joe Cocker's Grease Band to flesh out the sessions and, considering the circumstances, they did a bang up job.

One of the cuts that garnered a spot in heavy rotation on the radio in 1970 was their terrific, dark take on "I Am the Walrus." Beatles music was still somewhat of a sacred cow in those days and few groups outside of the progressive rock scene dared to fool around with anything written by Lennon/McCartney for fear of incurring the wrath of the Gods but the ultra- slow, macabre atmosphere these guys created drew listeners in immediately and without protest. Mike's voice is perfect for the grey mood of this delightful Hammond-laden dirge because he sounds like a man dancing along the jagged edge of insanity throughout. Another big difference is the lack of all the lush orchestration and odd incidental sound effects that colored the original. This is a late-night, no-frills, six-piece rock & roll outfit version that would be right at home being performed in a smoky, dimly-lit cabaret bar at 2am. It has a tough, metallic heaviness to it that is superb and rarely achieved. One of the finest Beatles covers ever in my book.

Original keyboard man Gary Wright had long since moved on to form the short-lived Wonderwheel ensemble but he left behind an excellent tune entitled "The Wrong Time" and it's the highlight of this project. It features a sublime rock guitar riff that's one of my favorites from that era and the all-female chorus packs a strong punch every time it comes around. The rhythm section of drummer Kellie and bassist Spenner maintains an infectious groove that manages to both flow and drive at the same time. Luther's Jimmy Page-ish blues/rock guitar solo and interspersed licks blaze a fiery trail through the number and his gutsy tone is to drool over. Next up is an obscure Joe Cocker ditty called "Something to Say" and although it takes a while for the band to settle into the proper feel, Harrison's soulful rasp carries the load admirably until they do. They eventually find it and hit their stride when the repeating hook line arrives and the swaying, gospel-styled chorale sends it soaring into the wild blue yonder. The musicians then lock firmly into a piano-led, Traffic-like stroll to the fade out that makes me feel like being outside on a sunny spring day.

Speaking of Traffic, side two begins with "Nobody There At All," a song that gives off a palpable Dave Mason folk/rock vibe but, unfortunately, there's nothing that really stands out. It just sorta lopes along for four minutes. David Ackles' "Down River" is an improvement but this somber, sentimental girl-that-got-away tune fails to find its footing until much later on when the group finally shakes off their restraints and plays with emotion- fueled abandon. "Son of Your Father" is a decent rendition of that memorable Elton John/Bernie Taupin composition (culled from the outstanding, underappreciated "Tumbleweed Connection" album) yet the track's a little too loose for my taste and it loses its focus quickly. They perk things up with the final cut, Stainton's "The Last Puff," but it's not much more than a two-chord jam throughout which Chris bounces expertly across the piano keys. The fact that it's the lone instrumental causes me to think it was perhaps a demo that never got Mike's vocal added on to it but, since it possessed such a tight and lively groove, they decided to stick it on anyway as the caboose.

In all honesty, other than the first two songs, this is pretty standard rock & roll fare that probably won't make anyone's top 100 album list but I try to keep in mind that 1970 was a very exciting but confusing year in popular music and groups like Spooky Tooth working on both sides of the Atlantic were trying to figure out how they were going to survive in the new decade and a lot of albums released in that timeframe were hit and miss at best. As for me, even with its flaws, "The Last Puff" brings back some fond memories of my first taste of unfettered freedom and that's enough reason to cherish it as a memento. 2.6 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#293719) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 07, 2010

4 stars The Last Puff is Spooky Tooth's fourth album and the last one before a break for three years. This album was recorded while the band had already fallen a part, containing only three original Spooky members: Mike Harrison on vocals, Luther Grosvenor at the guitars and Mike Kelly on drums. The band wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#911662) | Posted by the philosopher | Saturday, February 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SPOOKY TOOTH "The Last Puff ( Featuring Mike Harrison)"