WITNESS

9 Pyramids 4:28

Search SPOOKY TOOTH Witness lyrics

Search SPOOKY TOOTH Witness tabs

Bryson Graham Drums
Mike Harrison Percussion, Keyboards, Vocals (bckgr)
Brian Humphries Engineer
Mick Jones Guitar, Guitar (Electric), Vocals (bckgr)
Mike Kellie Percussion, Drums
Chris "Tricky" Stewart Bass
Gary Wright Organ,Synthesizer,Piano,Keyboards,vocal,Clavinet

Vinyl LP - Island # SW9337
CD - Progressive Line -2001 PL519

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPOOKY TOOTH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPOOKY TOOTH Witness Music

Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2009
The Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only YesterdayThe Best of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday
Remastered
Import · Remastered
Spooky TwoSpooky Two
A&M Records
Vinyl$4.97 (used)
UK pressing Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw US $35.00 [0 bids]
51m 20s
NEW CD BBC Sessions by Spooky Tooth US $20.99 Buy It Now 59m 13s
Spooky Tooth - You Broke my Heart So I Busted Your Jaw (A&M SP 4385) 1973 VG+/EX US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
GARY WRIGHT The Dream Weaver LP OOP mid-70's pop-rock Spooky Tooth US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Howl the Good -S/T Self-Titled Debut Rare Earth Gary Wright Spooky Tooth PSYCH US $9.09 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Spooky Tooth Normal Poets Live In Germany 2004 CD UK Import US Shipper New US $16.95 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Spooky Tooth Witness LP Record Album VG+/VG US $7.20 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Spooky Tooth Tobacco Road 1st USA Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, A+ SOUND! US $26.00 Buy It Now 8h
Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - LP BELL 6019 - 1968 US $31.50 Buy It Now 8h 58m
SPOOKY TOOTH w/ MIKE HARRISON The Last Puff ORIG 1970 NEAR MINT LP ACID ROCK US $17.99 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Illusion - Out Of the Mist Japan mini lp cd Renaissance Yardbirds Spooky Tooth US $39.90 Buy It Now 14h 34m
Spooky Tooth - Comic Violence (Mirror) cd 1974 Mike Patto Gary Wright Foreigner US $25.19 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Frankie Miller Band - The Rock cd '75 Spooky Tooth Stone the Crows Eire Apparent US $22.98 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Mike Harrison - S/T 1971 SIGNED cd Spooky Tooth The V.I.P.'s Art REPERTOIRE RARE US $49.90 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Spooky Tooth original die cut cover in shrink LP LP The Mirror US $24.99 Buy It Now 22h
SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO 1969 A US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h 41m
SPOOKY TOOTH ceremony 1969-UK EARLY PRESS - PINK ISLAND LABEL - GOOD US $11.00 [2 bids]
+++ SPOOKY TOOTH - The Last Puff - Island psych UK 1st press - nr MINT RARE US $16.93 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH SPOOKY TWO 2 ISLAND 85 785 ET GERMAN ART VIP'S HELLIONS REVOLUTION US $11.84 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff Original LP NM US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
+++ SPOOKY TOOTH - Spooky Two - pink eye Island psych UK 1st press - RARE 1st pr US $21.18 [3 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH It's All About+5 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SEALED US $45.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH WITNESS JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SEALED US $27.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH PIERRE HENRY ceremony JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SEALED US $27.99 [0 bids]
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records (Germany) Music Rock US $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH- 7 NEW RARE JEWEL CASE CDS- 4 REPERTOIRE LABEL + WRIGHT-ANDY LEIGH US $129.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VINTAGE 1970 LP RECORD RELEASE THE LAST PUFF BY SPOOKY TOOTH - A US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR CR30167 NM IMPORT FRENCH PRESSING US $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH WITNESS SW9337 EX US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH THE LAST PUFF SP4266 VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH Ceremony JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH It's All About JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +5 US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff (1970) JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ceremony: An Electric Mass by Pierre Henry/Spooky Tooth (CD, May-2009, Esoter... US $19.85 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEST OF SPOOKY TOOTH rare israeli press US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Cross Purpose by Spooky Tooth (CD, Feb-1999, Ruf Records (Germany)) US $0.49 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Dream Weather SPOOKY TOOTH solo MINT Lp US $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Howl The Good~ORIG 1972 Rare Earth LP EX Spooky Tooth prog US $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY WRIGHT - SPOOKY TOOTH That Was Only Yesterday 1973 A&M VG++/EX 2 LP Records US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VIP'S Early Spooky Tooth lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Witness 8 Track Tape TESTED US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
GARY WRIGHT Spooky Tooth That Was Only Yesterday 8-Track Tape US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tremeloes/Marmalade/Simon Dupree/Nice/Spooky Tooth 1968 Brighton Concert Ticket US $37.28 Buy It Now 2 days
GARY WRIGHT -(LP)- THE DREAM WEAVER - FORMER CO-LEADER OF SPOOKY TOOTH - 1975 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH-Nomad Poets Live CD NEW US $16.19 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH, 60s BLUES PSYCHE ROCK LP, CEREMONY, A&M LABEL US $12.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth YOU BROKE MY HEART .....Original A&M Release SP4385 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth Witness SW-9337 Island Records 1973 LP US $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two SP-4194 A&M Records LP US $17.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Featuring Mike Harrison The Last Puff SP-4266 A&M Records 1970 LP US $12.75 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth-Last Puff-You Broke My Heart-Prog Rock?-Record Album LP Lot US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH IT'S ALL ABOUT JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-93501 US $57.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - THE BEST OF SPOOKY TOOTH: THAT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY - NEW CD US $12.25 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - All Sewn Up - Original 1973 UK 2-track Island 7" vinyl single US $16.93 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - All Sewn Up - Original 1973 German 2-track 7" vinyl single in p/s US $33.87 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - All Sewn Up - Original 1973 UK 2-track Island 7" vinyl single US $18.62 Buy It Now 2 days
PROMO WHITE LABEL GARY WRIGHT JAPAN OBI SPOOKY TOOTH TH US $79.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH You Broke My Heart... Orig UK LP - Island Pink Rim Prog Psych Art US $11.01 [2 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - Two Time Love - Original 1974 German 2-track 7" vinyl single-p/s US $27.10 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - Waitin' For The Wind - Original 1969 German 2-trk 7" single -p/s US $33.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff A&M Analog Reissue Near Mint ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth Spooky Two A&M USA 1969 Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $52.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth It's All About UK Island Analog ARCHIVE MASTER Ultrasonic Clean US $60.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff 1st 1970 A&M Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $17.60 Buy It Now 2 days
FRIENDS SAMPLER WITH HUMBLE PIE SPOOKY TOOTH OTHERS US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH The Last Puff (1970) JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]
CD-Spooky Tooth-Cross Purpose UK Hard Rock Psych~pop US $8.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH - "THE LAST PUFF", PROG ROCK, ORIGINAL LABEL, EXCELLENT US $1.04 [2 bids]
Spooky Tooth Lp Tobacco Road Nr Mint Brown Label w Mike Harrison US $8.50 [0 bids]
ARAB STRAP Spooky Tooth LADYTRON Venus Ray CD Drugstore US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH -WITNESS---CLASSIC ROCK----SW-9337---VERY GOOD+ SHRINK WRAP!!!!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Best of Spooky Tooth - Island Records - 1975 - LP US $24.99 [0 bids]
Trapeze - Hot Wire - RARE cd James Gang Whitesnake Deep Purple Spooky Tooth OOP US $26.99 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH: Spooky Two LP A&M RECORDS SP4194 US 1969 WHITE PROMO LABEL VG+ US $24.29 Buy It Now 3 days
RARE 1969 IMPORT NEAR MINT Traffic Nirvana Free Spooky Tooth Tull FREE US SHIP US $29.88 Buy It Now 3 days
MICK JONES " P/S 45 1980s ROCK Spooky Tooth Foreigner US $3.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth Pages From An Autograph Book memorabilia UK Autographed US $64.31 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - BEST CD ~ 70's BLUES ~ GARY WRIGHT *NEW* US $23.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth (Reunion) Cross Purpose CD Blues-Rock US $5.24 Buy It Now 3 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - LAST PUFF - UK 1st Pink i / Island / Psych / ILPS 9117 US $32.85 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth All Sewn Up 7" vinyl single record German 13062AT ISLAND 1973 US $21.52 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth - Best of (2004) BETTER BY YOU, BETTER THAN ME THE WEIGHT 70s rock US $1.68 [0 bids]
GARY WRIGHT Touch And Gone LP Spooky Tooth Ringo Starr Arrival / Warner '77 US $9.32 Buy It Now 3 days
Luther Grosvenor-Under Open Skies-Island 9168-ENGLAND SPOOKY TOOTH US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spooky Tooth The Last Puff,with I Am A Walrus US $5.00 [0 bids]
LP-Spooky Tooth-You Broke My Heart So I busted..70's UK hard rock-US issue US $9.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth You broke my heart so I busted your jaw Vinyl LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Spooky Tooth With Pierre Henry,Ceremony,Rare First Pressing,LP US $48.28 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH/PIERRE HENRY;CEREMONY US $11.84 [1 bids]
DEEP FEELING - PRETTY COLOURS UK PSYCH w/future TRAFFIC FAMILY SPOOKY TOOTH CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 4 days
FRIENDS A&M White Label Promo V/A LP US Cat Stevens Spooky Tooth Humble Pie US $9.98 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH - IT'S ALL ABOUT (IMPORT) NEW CD US $44.76 Buy It Now 4 days
PIERRE HENRY / SPOOKY TOOTH "CEREMONY" FRENCH 70'S LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The V.I.Ps / SPOOKY TOOTH 'I Wanna Be Free' Mono French EP US $75.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH 'Sunshine Help Me' 45 UK US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH 'That Was Only Yesterday / Oh Pretty Woman' 45 French US $20.00 [0 bids]
SPOOKY TOOTH-HELL OR HIGH WATER/THE MIRROR ISLAND IS004 NM 45 US $7.98 Buy It Now 4 days
SPOOKY TOOTH THE MIRROR 1992 CHARLY RECORDS VERY RARE OOP MADE IN THE ECC US $14.95 [0 bids]
Gary Wright Spooky Tooth - That Was Only Yesterday (2 LP, 1972 SP-3258) VG++/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy SPOOKY TOOTH music online Buy SPOOKY TOOTH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPOOKY TOOTH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPOOKY TOOTH Witness ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(21%)

SPOOKY TOOTH Witness reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars Spooky Tooth is one of those groups that just couldn't seem to figure out what they wanted to be when they grew up. They began their existence as a semi-progressive rock outfit but were never able or willing to keep up with the big boys in the demanding prog arena so they veered away from that labeling bit by bit. They're also one of those bands that broke up, reformed, splintered and got back together again several times over the years. They developed a destructive "can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" scenario that effectively ruined all chances of their building any semblance of continuity into their work. In the process of justifying their fickle comings and goings they misplaced their shaky identity altogether and this album presents the ensemble as a dysfunctional yet talented family of musicians that didn't know what to do with themselves. They come off as a combo of five guys desperate to be "trendy" and few things are as pitiful as a wannabe. There's absolutely no sense of exploration to be detected here and, in the "anything goes" atmosphere that pervaded the music biz in the early 70s, it's inexcusable that they would play it so safe.

They start off with "Ocean of Power," a soulful slice of white dude funk that brings to mind what Joe Cocker and Leon Russell had been so successful in concocting a few years earlier. What has always been the strongest drawing card about Spooky Tooth for me is Mike Harrison's splendid voice. If not for him they wouldn't have ever gotten my attention but he's got a husky, emotional rasp emanating from his gullet that I really like and he displays it expressively on this cut. And, since I've never been much of a fan of Jones' generic guitar style, Mick's absence from the mix in this song is a definite plus. "Wings on my Heart" is next and it's a gospel-tinged tune with a George Harrison slant to it that's especially noticeable on the imitative guitar solo. "As Long as the World Keeps Turning" follows and there's a palpable Three Dog Night air wafting through the number. Mike sings his butt off from beginning to end but the let's-be-commercial composition just isn't memorable.

"Don't Ever Stray Away" sounds like it came right off of a Free album. That's not a bad thing in itself but this sad track lacks the loose, infectious energy that made that group's art so viable and influential. This song plods along like an old, sway-backed mare pulling a wagon of hog manure in comparison. "Things Change" is a dull ditty written around a rawkin' guitar riff, a composition technique that's not all that unusual except that the final outcome of these kinds of things ends up being entirely too predictable more often than not and this one's no exception. On top of that, Gary Wright's anemic voice is featured instead of Harrison's and it makes a poor tune become even more destitute. "All Sewn Up" is a Jones/Wright conglomeration that gives hints as to the brand of vapid macho-man rock that Mick would churn out with Foreigner a few years down the line. It's extremely weak, even by his future band's dubious standards, from the puny guitar ride to the passionless vocal from Gary.

"Dream Me a Mountain" is another chunk of unremarkable Caucasian R&B but the return of Mike to the mike is so welcome at this juncture that it makes the song appear to be better than it really is. He's a singer's singer and he makes a huge difference. "Sunlight of My Mind" is next and it's such a shameful, undisguised rip-off of the Rolling Stones' "Dancing with Mr. D" that they should've all be sent to the principal's office for a hard paddling. Even Harrison's primo voice can't save this uninspired waste of recording tape from being a mangy mutt with a limp. They then stuck the only song with any dynamics, "Pyramids," last and that figures since it's also the only one that possesses even a whiff of progness. Mike and Gary trade off the vocal lines gallantly and if they'd expanded on what they were creating here they might've gone somewhere (dare I say it?) ORIGINAL with it. Wishful thinking, I guess. The tune's repeating refrain goes "I know where I'm going" and, if that was indeed the case, they would've done well to let the listener in on that secret. Perhaps they were dabbling in irony.

A personal anecdote might sum up the overwhelming problem that plagues "Witness" and hordes of albums just like it. Many decades ago I joined an established band of very skilled, dedicated local musicians and helped them finish cutting their debut LP. I was invited into their clan on the strength of one of my songs they'd recorded for the disc (The best one, I might add. Humbly, of course.) and I was expected to contribute more of the same in the months to come. Alas, the self-appointed leader/main songwriter of the troupe and I clashed almost immediately. He was of the opinion that manufacturing a hit single (and thereby generating album sales) was accomplished merely by aping what was currently sitting atop the AM radio charts. I begged defiantly to differ, explaining to the conceited moron that one may as well chase the wind for, by the time a band wrote, arranged, recorded, mastered and distributed said product, whatever trend they so wisely mimicked would be passť. Since I didn't kowtow to his obviously-superior intelligence he was an ass to me from that day on, sabotaging every tune I brought into rehearsal, snidely calling them "unmarketable." That incurable idiot's inane formula for success didn't work then and it never will.

Since Gary Wright earned a composer's credit on every track listed I'm pretty sure he was of the same mindset as the mental midget (his name discreetly withheld to protect the guilty) I had to deal and duel with so long ago. Tired of making records that sold only in the thousands instead of in the millions, frustrated Gary set out to replicate "what those crazy kids are buying these days" instead of taking some risks and daring to be true to himself by attempting to explore uncharted territory with his long-haired companions. In other words, the yellow coward stayed as far away from prog as possible and the result was a Spooky Tooth album indistinguishable from oatmeal. Only Mike Harrison's golden throat keeps this project from hitting rock bottom. 1.5 stars and that's being generous.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#301481) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 01, 2010

Post a review of SPOOKY TOOTH "Witness"