ANESTHETIZE

Nil Recurring live film directed by Lasse Hoile

Tracklisting for CD's in Limited edition:

Disc 1
1. Intro (2:07)
2. Fear of a Blank Planet (7:34)
3. My Ashes (4:46)
4. Anesthetize (17:20)
5. Sentimental (5:18)
6. Way Out of Here (7:47)
7. Sleep Together (7:54)
8. Prodigal (6:03)*

Disc 2
1. What Happens Now? (8:09)
2. Normal (7:13)
3. Dark Matter (8:57)
4. Drown With Me (5:21)
5. Cheating the Polygraph (8:11)
6. Half-Light (5:28)
7. Sever (5:37)
8. Wedding Nails (5:43)
9. Strip the Soul / .3 (8:17)
10. The Sleep of No Dreaming (5:31)
11. Halo (8:34)

*Prodigal is only available on the first CD of the special limited edition.

Search PORCUPINE TREE Anesthetize lyrics

Search PORCUPINE TREE Anesthetize tabs

- Steven Wilson / vocals, guitar, piano
- Richard Barbieri / keyboards, synthesizer
- Colin Edwin / bass guitar
- Gavin Harrison / drums

With:
John Wesley / vocals, guitar

Available as a special edition DVD + Bluray + 2CD's packaged in a red book (limited to 1000 copies) and packaged in a grey book (limited to 4000 copies), a special edition DVD + Bluray and a standard edition DVD.

Thanks to peccatum for the addition
and to AtomicCrimsonRush for the last updates

PORCUPINE TREE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PORCUPINE TREE Anesthetize Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
In AbsentiaIn Absentia
Octane TwistedOctane Twisted
KSCOPE 2012
Up the DownstairUp the Downstair
Kscope 2009
Rhythmic Visions - Gavin Harrison (DVD, 2003) Porcupine Tree, King Crimson US $16.99 [0 bids]
PORCUPINE TREE In Absentia DVD Audio Steven Wilson Blackfield Opeth Marillion US $74.99 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize DVD US $12.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Steven Wilson: Get All You Deserve DVD ( PORCUPINE TREE) NEW 2012 US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize, Good DVD, , US $18.21 Buy It Now 1 day
PORCUPINE TREE ANESTHETIZE LIVE BLU-RAY + DVD SEALED Dream Theater King Crimson US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPOCK'S BEARD Don't Try This At Home 2 DVDs+CD: PORCUPINE TREE, ENCHANT, SAGA US $16.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Porcupine Tree Anesthetize DVD Widescreen 1.85 2010 US $21.59 Buy It Now 2 days
PORCUPINE TREE - ARRIVING SOMEWHERE (2PC) NEW DVD US $25.89 Buy It Now 5 days
Steven Wilson: Insurgentes (DVD, 2010, 2-Disc Set) Porcupine Tree US $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere [2 Discs] DVD US $12.79 Buy It Now 6 days
ORPHANED LAND LIVE IN TEL AVIV ISRAEL dvd STEVEN WILSON PORCUPINE TREE PROMO US $80.00 Buy It Now 7 days
PORCUPINE TREE-ANESTHETIZE-LIMITED EDITION GREY COVER-BOX SET-SHIPS FROM USA US $399.99 Buy It Now 9 days
PORCUPINE TREE Arriving Somewhere... 2-Disc DVD PROG (Steven Wilson) MINT US $24.90 Buy It Now 10 days
Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize - Blu-ray Disc (Blu-ray) Region 1 Brand New Free Shi US $27.56 Buy It Now 11 days
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere (DVD, 2009, 2-Disc Set) US $12.83 Buy It Now 14 days
ORPHANED LAND LIVE IN TEL AVIV ISRAEL dvd STEVEN WILSON PORCUPINE TREE mint US $40.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 2 Brand US $24.54 Buy It Now 18 days
PORCUPINE TREE: ANESTHETIZE [DVD] [REGION FREE] NEW DVD US $12.94 Buy It Now 19 days
Porcupine Tree Arriving Somewhere DVD Widescreen 2 Disc 2005 US $21.59 Buy It Now 21 days
PORCUPINE TREE - ARRIVING SOMEWHERE [REGION FREE] NEW DVD BOXSET US $12.80 Buy It Now 22 days
ORPHANED LAND LIVE IN TEL AVIV ISRAEL POLIKER STEVEN WILSON PORCUPINE TREE US $40.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere JAPAN 2 DVD Box Set (NTSC, Region 0) promo US $29.74 Buy It Now 24 days
PORCUPINE TREE**ANESTHETIZE**BLU-RAY + DVD US $16.60 Buy It Now 24 days
Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 1 Brand New Fr US $22.69 Buy It Now 26 days
Gear One Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 27 days
3x MUSIC BLU-RAY ROCK Lot LINKIN PARK KINGS OF LEON PORCUPINE TREE Live SEALED US $109.00 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy PORCUPINE TREE music online Buy PORCUPINE TREE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PORCUPINE TREE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PORCUPINE TREE Anesthetize ratings distribution

PORCUPINE TREE Anesthetize reviews

Review by Finnforest
5 stars Just my first impressions...

In full disclosure this is an early review after just one viewing, but what the hell? I felt like sharing. I've been pretty pumped to see this. Being one of the rare bands my better half appreciates as much as me, I knew it was going to be a fun watch....thus Steven will have to forgive the fact that I got really lit up for this viewing, something pretty rare these days. It was a festive evening, as it was for the fans in Tilburg I'm sure. Long story short, it's fantastic. I really can't find deductions to make even though I feel physical pain when I have to give 5 stars. That's a joke. Kind of.

So, the show is broken into two sections, not officially, but in my mind. Part one is a complete performance of the FoaBP album and it is simply stunning. In fact I think it bested the rest of the show which contained selections from the past. From the dramatic opening guitar lines of Fear to the finale of Sleep it was mesmerizing. Throughout the album's tracks the songs are punctuated by the thematic video behind the band. The highlight without question was the long centerpiece Anesthetize which features an earth-shaking climax, the band hugely powerful to these intense strobe lights. Some of the fills Harrison was pulling out had my jaw on the floor, every bit as great as watching Peart in his prime. Wilson is animated and in great spirits, the entire band seems exceptionally "up" for this particular gig. The second part of the show brings in some obscure tracks, some great choices from Signify and Nil Recurring among others. As clichéd as it is to describe PT music as a Rush/Floyd cross, it occurs while watching that the description is not so far off. Power and crispness combined with moodiness, melody, and spacey ambiance. Everything attempted here is pulled off at the highest levels of quality and to maximum impact on the viewer.

As good as the music and performance are, this show is put over the top by presentation. A more gorgeously filmed show you will rarely see. The 6th band member on the stage is atmosphere. From the video projections behind the stage to the striking lighting show the band is bathed in an aura perfectly choreographed to the moods and sounds of the music. Streaming colors and shadow work together as in the opening of Way Out Of Here. The crew captures it all with ambitious camera work and immaculate editing later, it is clear and sharp with none of the gimmicky visual tricks that distract somewhat on Arriving Somewhere. This presentation is all about capturing the personalities of the players and the themes of the songs. Flawless work. The sound is also as good as it gets, clear and powerful at high volume---I pushed my system way beyond where I usually go, and while my ears lost some hit points, it was worth it. This is a "rock show" packed with immediacy and power and I suspect it may win over some of those PT skeptics who complain the band doesn't connect emotionally with them. Some feel the band's best days are behind them, but this document shows me a band still capable of great work, something I can't say about some of the other prog or rock giants when they were 20 years into their career. At that point in their journey, Yes were giving us "Love Will Find a Way." Ouch.

This is admittedly a pretty fluff review short on specifics, but I can't help gushing a bit about first impressions. I'll probably revisit and revise this to discuss the music more after repeated viewings, but I had to help get the word out that this is the video event of the summer. Some folks don't get into DVDs as much as albums but for those of us who love watching prog-rock in the living room, this is essential. I can only hope they do the same for The Incident tour. The only thing lacking perhaps is extras, the standard versions contains only the show. Does this title risk becoming one of the over-hyped releases fanboys will keep on the front page for a while? Sure, but if my first impression holds up, this one ain't hype.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#284271) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars THE definitive live recording.

After having seen Porcupine Tree live earlier this year, my anticipations and expectations for this new DVD release were running absolutely off the charts, and they have been blown away in every sense by the quality of this release. As far as quality and care in production goes, Porcupine Tree seem to be the current headlining act - wonderful album presentation and artwork, brilliant production qualities in all their releases and perfect products all round. This package absolutely blows ANY thing I've ever owned away as far as the quality of the packaging and quality of recording go.

The edition I am reviewing is one of the Red DVD/Bluray/2CD special editions, limited to 1000 copies. Even though this came with a high price-tag, it was absolutely worth every sense for the overall quality and care that went into producing these wonderful products. To begin with, the physical book looks absolutely stunning from the outside, and the discs on the front and back cover are brilliantly presented. The photos inside the booklet are brilliant, high quality prints on high gloss paper - amazing photos composed of some album art from Fear Of A Blank Planet, several pages of the original art made for this package, and the rest is composed of live photos from Porcupine Tree from 2005 up until now. All the items are amazing, particularly the live photos - absolutely stunning stuff. My impressions were met before I even watched the concert!

Now, onto the Bluray of the concert. As was mentioned before, this is an absolutely stunningly produced live film - the lighting and filming is much cleaner than their previous DVD, 'Arriving Somewhere', and this recording also offers a much more genuine live sound than the previous. The lighting is amazing, and the live projections are fantastic accompaniment to the darkness (or lightness) of the tracks being played. The performances in the concert are also much more polished, providing a closer to studio, although still incredibly intense and real atmosphere. From the amazing ambiance of Half-Light, to the horrifying distorted vocals during Sleep Together and the eerie break in the middle of Wedding Nails, the meticulously rehearsed live performances absolutely complement their equally brilliant recording, mixing and production of the live film. It's worth noting that, like their previous DVD release, Steven Wilson did all the mixing and mastering for the audio component of this live film.

Onto the setlist - The epic title track from the band's 2007 metal masterpiece 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' opens the show up in dark ambiance, with SW playing the opening riff at breakneck speed. The fury and anger tossed around is unbelievable; and like all other PT live performances, it demolished the studio version as far as quality and performance are concerned. My Ashes is a highlight, with the band's backing vocalist and guitarist taking the main guitar and manning the vocals for the chorus, with Steven on the piano. John Wesley's vocals for the chorus are stunning; absolutely blows away the studio version. Of course the fan-favourite epic Anesthetize was going to be played, and rather perfectly in this reviewer's opinion. The performance is stunning and the overall mood changes and light shows couldn't have suited better. As mentioned before, Sleep Together has a truly frightening atmosphere. The second set, following Fear Of A Blank Planet, contains a fascinating setlist, spanning from Signify up until their most recent release at the time of this concert, ' Nil Recurring'. 3 out of 4 tracks from Nil Recurring are played, and 3 tracks from Signify are also played - it's great to have these live recordings, as the band rarely delves into their first 4 albums in live performances. Another particular highlight is on Half-Light, when Steven Wilson mans a guitar with an HD display built in, and this is the first every recording of the live use of such a guitar. The only small complaint I have with this setlist is the exclusion of Stars Die - a stunning track, although a shame we haven't got the recording.

The band are all on absolute fire during this show - Gavin's drumming is as nuanced and unpredictable as ever, offering small and tricky fills where they weren't on the studio recordings. From some tracks which I now have 5 recordings of (namely Halo), Gavin still manages to mix up the drumming every time, and on tracks like Normal, it's hard to believe such a drummer exists. Colin is a much larger stage presence than on their previous DVD and confers more wonderful bass lines and thumping originality than expected of most bass players. Steven Wilson is, as expected, the leading man of the show, with stunning solos and stage presence, although for me the two real stars are guest guitarist/vocalist John Wesley and full-time synth-star Richard Barbieri - the former offers brilliant guitar playing and a vocal range which challenges and compliments Steven, and Mr. Barbieri bring brilliant atmosphere AND confidence to the show, in one scene playing his keyboard with an empty water bottle!

The CD's and DVD are also fantastic, although not technically equal to the perfect bluray; the CD's offer the option of use on an iPod or in a car, which is a great compliment to the live show, and also contain the bonus track 'Prodigal'.

I really have 0 complaints for this entire package - unfortunately, the red and grey special edition books are long gone (unless you want to buy one on eBay for a horrendous price) so the Bluray/DVD or standalone DVD package is the current option, both of which still over the perfect live show.

Definitely not one you'd want to miss, and if my gushing fanboyism didn't make it obvious enough, this one is a definite 5* product in every department.

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#286706) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Review by richardh
4 stars After the wonderfull Arriving Somewhere DVD (which by my reckoning is the best music DVD out there) we have PT's latest release featuring a complete performance of Fear Of A Blank Planet.Although filmed in HD this is basically a no frills presentation. No black and white bits ,no grainy bits etc that were cleverly edited together on Arriving Somewhere.This is a bog standard concert performance shot with a professionalism that you would expect. Trouble is that PT are not the most flamboyant band there is! No humour ,not even much interaction with the audience.So really your enjoyment of this depends on whether you appreciate the Fear of A Blank Planet album and are desperate to see it performed live. For me its a solid 4 star release and not as good as Deadwing and In Absentia (both masterpeices in my book). Trouble is the rest of the concert avoids some of the best PT songs such as Trains and Arriving Somewhere. Halo is hardly a grandstanding closer. So my resevations about this is based on the set list and not the very high professional standard of the DVD.I can't comment on the extras as my Blue Ray player can't access them! Overall a 4 star release.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#289906) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 11, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Anesthetize' - Porcupine Tree (8/10)

It may not be 'essential', but it's essential for any fan of "Fear of a Blank Planet". It's not often I get to see one of my favourite performed live in full. When I saw Porcupine Tree in person at their Seattle gig in '09, they played all fifty five minutes of "The Incident" (the first time they ever performed it live). Although these album-sets that Porcupine Tree do aren't much of a far cry from the album itself, it's an incredible experience to see the music unfold before your very eyes. Of course, a DVD cannot hope to match the magic of actually being there, but it's not often I'm so drawn into a concert video. It does not strike me as a masterfully executed live film, but "Anesthetize" is a celebration of one of the best progressive rock albums of the new millennium, almost to the point where the second half of the concert feels like bonus material.

First off, let me say that "Anesthetize" is a step-up from the "Arriving Somewhere..." DVD, a release that I enjoyed, but felt bogged down by loads of superfluous visual effects. It's clear that Porcupine Tree learned from that blunder, because the picture is free of distractions. The quality of sound and video are both superb. 'High-definition' is the word to describe the technical quality here. Much like Porcupine Tree's studio material, "Anesthetize" is given the highest quality production.

"Fear of a Blank Planet" is one of my favourite records ever, so It's no surprise that I love the music here on "Anesthetize". They are able to recreate the album note-for-note, delivering the same energy and atmosphere of the album. The vocal work might even be better than the album; touring guitarist and supporting vocalist John Wesley is amazing here, providing a slightly higher register contrast to Wilson. Although I've always liked Wilson's voice, I was surprised to hear the amount of energy he's able to put into his vocal performance, particularly when the music gets heavier. The seventeen minute namesake to this DVD wins my vote as the highlight. Supporting the band's performance are some cinematic background visualizations, courtesy of visual madman Lasse Hoile. Unfortunately, Hoile's cinematography is never given much of a spotlight.

The second half of the album consists of songs from other albums, as early as their "Signify" record. Three quarters of "Fear"s companion EP "Nil Recurring" are represented in full, and "In Absentia" gets a couple of tracks' recognition. While I understand the decision to keep "Deadwing" mostly out of it- it was the primary focus of "Arriving Somewhere..."- only getting to hear "Halo" is a bit disappointing. The same precise musicianship and pristine recording crosses over to the second half of the concert, but- if only because I love "Fear..." so much, "Anesthetize" feels like it leaves off on a weaker note than it begins.

Although this Tilburg show has been released in several editions and formats, the standard edition of "Anesthetize" feels rather barebones. Barring the concert, there are no special features, interviews or documentary sections to give viewers a deeper insight into the band. I suppose that's what the Special Editions are for, but even so, the choice to leave out any non-concert footage out of the loop feels a little puritanical. The concert itself is fantastic, but somehow, it feels like there's something missing.

Overall, Porcupine Tree fans will definitely want to check this out if they haven't already. It may not be a 'definitive' look into the band, but it's a more tastefully executed concert film than most you're bound to come across.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#786350) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review by rdtprog
COLLABORATOR Heavy Prog Team
5 stars A great concert for a great band, that play progressive rock in their own way, adding some spacey sounds and metal parts, with sudden rhythm changes, turning acoustic to metal in a blink of a eye. Steven Wilson with his beautiful voice and his talented guitar playing is surrounded by some pretty talented players on guitar, bass, drums and keyboards.

After seeing this show, i was excited to get my hands on this DVD/BR. The DTS sound mix is as usual with Mr. Wilson amazing, with a clear separation of each instrument. But my only negative comment is the black levels on the Blu-Ray, who are washed out. The DVD don't have this problem. Must have been a encoding error when they did the Blu-Ray.

Send comments to rdtprog (BETA) | Report this review (#803559) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012

5 stars Okay, so Anesthetize is obviously pretty fantastic. Here's why: The filming in this is much better than that in Arriving Somwhere... (I always felt that Arriving Somewhere...'s visual distracted from the actual performance), The drums in the intro of Anesthetize blow my mind every time I see ... (read more)

Report this review (#457911) | Posted by PorcupineThief | Tuesday, June 07, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Everything I said about "Arriving Somewhere..." applies here. But I must add a couple quick comments. First, the sound is more balanced, cleaner, and a little less bass heavy (sadly, as I like a good, thick punchy - but not muddy - bass). Second, Anesthetize is MUCH better visually. None of that ... (read more)

Report this review (#404753) | Posted by Frogfoot | Monday, February 21, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars We've been waiting for this release for a long, long time but it's finally here! I'm not a huge fan of DVD concerts, I own only a few and that's fine for me. When I heard that PT is going to release a DVD with the whole FoaBP album I knew I had to buy it. I've bought the DVD/BD edition with a v ... (read more)

Report this review (#288068) | Posted by Wolf Spider | Thursday, June 24, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Phew! it was really worth the long awaiting, I must say the deluxe edition delayed a lot to be sent. Porcupine Tree emerges once again with one of their best live experiences ever to be recorded. The first set of songs, which consisted of the whole Fear of a Blank Planet performance (plus "Prodig ... (read more)

Report this review (#287320) | Posted by synesthetize | Saturday, June 19, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It's official: this could very well be the best concert DVD (not to mention the greatest packaging and presentation) I have ever seen. The photo book is just lovely. Incredibly high quality snaps that are nearly as good (though not quite) as being there in the front row in person. Some of the pi ... (read more)

Report this review (#285986) | Posted by Kashmir75 | Friday, June 11, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I really wish I had been there during the play of this. The Incident Tour was excellent, however this just blows everthing away. FOABP kicks things off, and to hear it in it's entirety live is just a stunning experience. The title track just makes your hairs stand on end and just grows and gro ... (read more)

Report this review (#285471) | Posted by Palliams | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow! I thought seeing them live was great...This is just another fine example of musical perfection from Maestro Wilson and the Boys. An all-star cast of musicians at the top of their game plus brilliant lighting, directing, and editing from Lasse Hoile make this a remarkable concert DVD. The se ... (read more)

Report this review (#283771) | Posted by pagan97 | Thursday, May 27, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PORCUPINE TREE "Anesthetize"