JÁTÉKOK

- Géza Pálvólgyi / keyboards
- János Varga / guitar
- Miklós Zareczky / lead vocals

CD Hungaroton-Gong Kft HCD 17697, 1994

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

EAST MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy EAST Játékok Music

CD east ~ USD $8.82

More places to buy EAST music online Buy EAST & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for EAST DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

EAST Játékok ratings distribution

EAST Játékok reviews

3 stars This is the debut record from EAST a Hungarian band who sing in their own language. I was very impressed with their second album "Huseg" where I think they made some improvements over this one.

"Overture" is an instrumental that is dominated by some excellent drumming and synth work. The sound of seagulls and waves at the end of the song is always a good thing with me. "Far Away With Clouds" is a beautiful song especially the synths and vocals.This is followed by a 90 second guitar solo.The song then completely changes as synths and guitars exchange solos to the end of the track. "Fly Up Now" is a good song that is pastoral at times with piano. "Blue-Black Vision" is all over the map. Including a thunder storm of all things !

"Diamond Bird" is a dreamy, laid back song wth mellow vocals.The vocals do get a little aggressive after 3 minutes. "Breath" is a very spacey, atmospheric instrumental.There really isn't a melody in this one as we hear mostly various synth sounds. "Look at Me" has a good beat as well as another extended guitar solo. Nice. "Message" gets a little heavy late but prior to that there is not a lot going on. "Epilogue" has organ throughout and the vocals are almost spoken."Expectation" is another favourite of mine on this record. Some great guitar and a good beat drives this song along.

This is a good album that most prefer over the follow up "Huseg". For me it's the opposite but you would do well to find that out for yourselves. Good band.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#123276) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 24, 2007

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
3 stars A few weeks ago my dear friend Zsolt Enyedi, keyboardist from the excellent band "Yesyterdays" sent me a whole bunch of albums from Hungarian and Romanian bands, including "Játekók" by EAST.

Lately I've been interested in post "fall of the Berlin wall" Eastern Europe bands because of the excellent blend between Prog and their ethnic roots, but it's interesting to listen what the pioneers of this part of the world were doing back in the 80's.

The first thing that surprised me is that due to the year of formation and how are they catalogued, I was expecting some sort of Neo Prog, but I forgot that musical eras didn't reached the whole world at the same time, much less in countries were artistic expressions as Rock didn't exactly received support from the state.

Instead of Neo I found a blend of various styles, from Symphonic, to Electronic, passing by Hard Rock, very interesting fusion coming from Hungary in 1981.

The album starts with "Nyitány ~ Overture" which begins with a very pompous and even martial percussion oriented intro and then out of nowhere a very fast keyboard changes the mood to some sort of light Symphonic with Hard Prog echoes, seems as if the band had horror to silence, because every second on the track is filled with sounds, no time to rest.

"Messze a Felhőkkel ~ Far Away with the Clouds" is a different song, very melodic, much more simpler, I would dare to say with some TOTO influences, but then we find a radical change, the band starts to really rock, they add lush keyboards and distorted guitars, maybe they abuse a bit of this "Heavy" sound but sill a good track.

"Szállj Most Fel ~ Fly up now" starts as an Aorish track sung in Hungarian, again the TOTO influence can be heard clearly, predictable and a bit boring, not worth of further comment.

"Kék-Fekete Látomás ~ Blue-Black Vision" starts very electronic oriented, reminding me of Vangelis Albedo 0.39, spacey keyboards as expected but with a jazzy guitar a la Mc'Laughlin and then.a sudden change takes us into a different territory, this time closer to Pink Floyd but with melodic vocals in Hungarian, very interesting track.

"Gyémántmadár ~ Diamond Bird" takes us again into electronic territory, soft keyboards, spacey sound effects a dreamy bass in the background, don't expect many changes, flows gently from start to the middle where the whole band attacks with everything they have in a clearly PINK FLOYD inspired style, not my cup of tea, but must recognize this guys know their business.

"Lélegzet ~ Breath" is another song that abuses of sound effects and spacey noises, seems like a filler, so lets jump to "Nézz rám ~ Look at Me" which starts more promising, faster and more elaborate, but soon falls in the predictability that seems the heaviest burden EAST carries, I believe they have good ideas but have problems developing them, not even the good guitar and bass duet is enough to rise the song from a less than average level.

"Üzenet ~ Message" wakes me from my daydreaming with it's pompous and strong introduction that leads to a vocal passage, this time at least we have some radical changes that help to maintain the interest, despite this, another predictable song.

A Baroque Hammond intro? Yes, it's "Epilóg ~ Epilogue", at last a healthy change that captures my interest immediately, it's evident that Géza Pálvólgyi has a solid keyboard formation, sober and pompous creates suspense while the organ solo keeps increasing in intensity and morphs into the closer "Remény ~ Expectation" another electronic oriented track, but this time more dynamic and versatile than the previous, the band at last (a bit late) let themselves go and hit us with everything they have, very sttrong finale.

Now the big problem. How to rate Játékok? Not remotely a masterpiece, not even close to essential, but the guys know what they are doing, being that is clear that this release is over the average, so I will give three stars to the album that could maybe be 3.5.

Will try with their later albums to see if my opinion changes, it would be unfair to qualify a band by their debut exclusively.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#181144) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 30, 2008

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Another nice entry in the list of good East-European prog rock bands,EAST were a band from Hungary,who were formed in mid-70's in Szeged and led by charismatic guitarist Janos Varga (later he pursued a personal career).However the band should have to wait 5 to 6 years before releasing their debut.This would come in 1981 under the title ''Jatekok'' (translated into ''Games''), certainly in a harsh time to produce sophisticated rock music.

Though some of the bass lines and keyboard parts will remind you of MARILLION,these guys achieved to release two albums before MARILLION release even one.The style of the music lies somewhere between symphonic melodic rock and space rock with heavy use of electronic samplers.Yes,the two first tracks are very close to MARILLION,but as the album unfolds the band deliver a very personal style of prog rock.Part of the guitar work will remind you of ALEX LIFESON's style in late-70's/early-80's RUSH,a few rockin' passages pop out here and there,some fusion elements are added for a change and the electronic parts create some great soundscapes for the listener.This is a very challenging mix of sounds by a band with a rather dark-sounding atmosphere,far from the pleasant style of acts like JADIS or PENDRAGON.EAST deserve your attention,for they carried the torch of art/prog rock at a time when experimentation was more than forbidden for a band's survival.Recommended!

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#184683) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 04, 2008

4 stars Nice album of this Hungarian Band. A fine Progressive style with keiboards and very nice guitar arrangements. Lot's of spacey parts that made a very good instrumental context. A good band of East Europe when we can find a litle of Pink Floyd and a litle of Camel. The drummer is in a classic neo- ... (read more)

Report this review (#214122) | Posted by Joăo Paulo | Wednesday, May 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of EAST "Játékok"