PRETTY HATE MACHINE

Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Music
Studio Album, released in 1989

1. Head Like a Hole (5:00)
2. Terrible Lie (4:39)
3. Down in It (3:46)
4. Sanctified (5:48)
5. Something I Can Never Have (5:55)
6. Kinda I Want To (4:33)
7. Sin (4:06)
8. That's What I Get (4:30)
9. The Only Time (4:47)
10. Ringfinger (5:41)

Total time 48:45

Search NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine lyrics

Search NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine tabs

- Trent Reznor / vocals, all instruments
- Richard Patrick / guitars (track 4)

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

NINE INCH NAILS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine Music

Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Nothing Records 2007
SlipSlip
Limited Edition
The Null Corporation 2008
SPK Metal Dance/ Power 12" THROBBING GRISTLE Industrial Nine Inch Nails COIL US $15.99 [0 bids]
31m 55s
NINE INCH NAILS SOUNDGARDEN Live Tour Date 2014 NIN1 Tee T - Shirt S M L XL Size US $17.85 Buy It Now 39m 22s
NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine 1989 USA CD on TVT halo two 8/90 on disc hub US $6.99 Buy It Now 40m 20s
NINE INCH NAILS 'The Downward Spiral' 14 song cd 1994 US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 6s
Nine Inch Nails Natural Born Killers OST CD album (CDLP) USA 92460-2 US $14.94 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Nine Inch Nails Broken EP UK CD single (CD5 / 5") IMCD8004 NOTHING 1992 US $30.72 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Queens of the Stone Age Nine Inch Nails Brisbane 14 Silkscreen Poster Art Hydro US $45.77 Buy It Now 1h 33m
NINE INCH NAILS 'Head Like A Hole' 10 song cd 1989 US $0.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS NASHVILLE TN 08 CONCERT POSTER ART RHYS COOPER US $32.70 Buy It Now 2h 26m
NINE INCH NAILS AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN DELUXE 2 CD SET DISCS PERFECT US $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
NINE INCH NAILS-WITH TEETH. DIGIPACK CD ALBUM US $6.63 Buy It Now 2h 35m
NINE INCH NAILS-FIXED. DIGIPACK CD ALBUM US $6.63 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-1992, TVT Records (Dist.)) US $3.77 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS gun cross EMBROIDERED PATCH **FREE SHIPPING** iron/sew on US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Nine Inch Nails Promo CD The Hand That Feeds 2005 Interscope Rock Single US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Nine Inch Nails 1995 Vintage Ltd Edition CD Version Of Further Down The Spiral US $40.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - Further Down The Spiral (CD 1995) US $6.65 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994 CD 90s Industrial Rock NIN) US $4.67 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral CD Single Disc With Slip Case VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS WELCOME OBLIVION DBL 180G VINYL PLUS CD NINE INCH NAILS US $40.00 Buy It Now 7h 13m
NINE INCH NAILS HESITATION MARKS DOUBLE 180G VINYL WITH CD BRAND NEW NIN US $34.00 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (Remastered Version) Vinyl 2LP Record US $28.48 Buy It Now 7h 26m
NIN NINE INCH NAILS THE HAND THAT FEEDS PROMO SAMPLER 1 TRACK MINT MUSIC CD US $4.21 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Nine Inch Nails RARE Head Like A Hole UK 2 Track Promo 12" Vinyl US $49.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails VERY RARE Australian Promo for "The Hand That Feeds" US $39.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - The Day the World Went Away (CD HALO 13) - EXCELLENT CONDITION US $5.25 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Nine Inch Nails The Perfect Drug - Versions USA CD single (CD5 / 5") IND-95542 US $29.06 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Nine Inch Nails Further Down The Spiral [EP] - US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $10.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $1.25 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS -Pretty Hate Machine ?(Re-issue)- '04, JAPAN OBI ~[UICY-2481] US $5.40 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Sin 9" single US $16.61 Buy It Now 10h 38m
nine inch nails - the downward spiral rare sleeve jewel slimcase cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
DJ PROMO CD-NINE INCH NAILS-BLACK SABBATH-MEGADETH-MOTIONLESS IN WHITE-PEPPER+VA US $3.50 Buy It Now 11h 31m
Nine Inch Nails NIN Live CD Hole in Your Head Sealed/New KMFDM Pigface Ministry US $24.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Further Down The Spiral Taiwan edition Rare US $15.99 Buy It Now 11h 50m
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks (NEW 3 x 12" VINYL LP) US $46.50 Buy It Now 11h 57m
With Teeth [Digipak] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 2005, Nothing Records) US $3.45 Buy It Now 12h 3m
marilyn manson the nobodies promo cd jackass mtv nothing metal nine inch nails US $9.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate ..Orig Version 2011 LP US $25.65 Buy It Now 12h 53m
NINE INCH NAILS- Pretty Hate Machine-2010 Remaster 2 LP US $35.15 Buy It Now 12h 55m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Every Day Is Exactly the Same [EP] by Nine Inch Nails  6 Tracks  Minty CD   US $8.00 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Nine Inch Nails "March of the Pigs" special numbered limited edition 9" record US $30.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - YEAR ZERO BRAND NEW ?????? CD ??????????????????????????? US $10.50 Buy It Now 13h 38m
NINE INCH NAILS - Pretty hate machine - ILPS 9973 LP EX US $83.07 Buy It Now 13h 43m
CD: Hesitation Marks - Nine Inch Nails - 03/09/2013 -sealed US $19.72 Buy It Now 13h 48m
The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1994, Warner Music) US $9.95 Buy It Now 13h 50m
CLUBMIX RECORDS 3 NINE INCH NAILS LORDS OF ACID BIGOD US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 55m
SPIT road pizza 12" EP batz without flesh ministry nine inch nails kmfdm foetus US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rare 2 LP Promo : Nine Inch Nails : Closer To God ~ NIN Interscope ~ Nothing US $40.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS : 1994 TICKET STUB LONDON SHOW 1994 !!!!! US $24.92 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS BROKEN CD SEALED MADE IN BRAZIL ORIGINAL FIRST PRESSING 1992 US $199.99 Buy It Now 14h 30m
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1992, TVT (Dist.)) US $0.97 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - RADIKAL - CD RARE US $38.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been CASSETTE on UNIVERSAL Thailand ex US $33.23 [0 bids]
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Sep-1999, 2 Discs, Nothing/Interscope) US $0.97 [0 bids]
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1992, TVT (Dist.)) US $0.50 [2 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - LARGE FOLD-OUT MAGAZINE POSTER (REF CC1) US $16.53 Buy It Now 15h 39m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC1) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 40m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC2) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 40m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC3) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 40m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC4) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 40m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC5) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 41m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC6) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 41m
NINE INCH NAILS - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF CC7) US $8.22 Buy It Now 15h 41m
NEW & STILL SEALED 12" vinyl LP ~ NINE INCH NAILS ~ Pretty Hate Machine US $15.60 Buy It Now 15h 49m
The Downward Spiral [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994, 2 Discs,... US $3.05 [0 bids]
Sin [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Apr-1991, TVT (Dist.)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Downward Spiral [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994, 2 Discs,... US $1.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails The Perfect Drug 3 Different Versions US $18.99 Buy It Now 17h 38m
Nine Inch Nails year zero Taiwan sealed rare US $19.95 Buy It Now 17h 38m
NINE INCH NAILS With Teeth SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 004 US $5.80 Buy It Now 17h 41m
NINE INCH NAILS With Teeth SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 004 US $8.29 Buy It Now 17h 41m
NINE INCH NAILS With Teeth SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 004 US $24.91 Buy It Now 17h 41m
Nine Inch Nails Year Zero 9" Vinyl Box #1703/2000 US $45.00 [0 bids]
18h
Nine Inch Nails Year Zero 9" Vinyl Box #1884/2000 US $45.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Year Zero 9" Vinyl Box #1374/2000 US $45.00 [0 bids]
Sound City ULTRA RARE Water Marked! Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor Dave Grohl US $44.99 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks [Digipak] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 2013, HALO (Label)) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Down In It - Halo One CD (Missing Barcode) RARE 3trk single US $10.00 [0 bids]
Lot of 3 Nine Inch Nails NIN singles: Head Like a Hole, SIN, The Day the World- US $10.00 [0 bids]
DJ PROMO CD-NINE INCH NAILS-TAYLOR SWIFT-KIX BROOKS-BECKY G-DEMI LOVATO-FAME+VA US $3.50 Buy It Now 18h 14m
NINE INCH NAILS In This Together SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 005 US $5.80 Buy It Now 18h 15m
NINE INCH NAILS In This Together SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 005 US $8.29 Buy It Now 18h 15m
NINE INCH NAILS In This Together SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER CD 005 US $24.91 Buy It Now 18h 15m
Nine Inch Nails 12 Sin x3 / Get Down Make Love US $49.99 Buy It Now 18h 16m
PROMO CD-NINE INCH NAILS-GRACE JONES-PJ HARVEY-THE CRANBERRIES-DRIVIN-N-CRYIN+VA US $3.50 Buy It Now 18h 20m
Nine Inch Nails "March of the Pigs" Rare Promo CD ~ PRCD 5519-2 ~ Halo 7 US $29.99 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Nine Inch Nails NIN Live CD March of the Devil Sealed/New KMFDM Pigface Ministry US $24.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt (various versions) US $9.99 [1 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS The Fragile SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 02 US $5.80 Buy It Now 19h 8m
NINE INCH NAILS The Fragile SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 02 US $8.29 Buy It Now 19h 8m
NINE INCH NAILS The Fragile SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 02 US $24.91 Buy It Now 19h 8m
TRENT REZNOR Nine Inch Nails SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt 002 US $5.80 Buy It Now 19h 9m
TRENT REZNOR Nine Inch Nails SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt 002 US $8.29 Buy It Now 19h 9m
TRENT REZNOR Nine Inch Nails SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt 002 US $24.91 Buy It Now 19h 9m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $6.00 [0 bids]
Ghosts I-IV [4 Discs] by Nine Inch Nails ( May-2008/ OUT OF PRINT BOXSET/DELUXE US $44.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy NINE INCH NAILS music online Buy NINE INCH NAILS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NINE INCH NAILS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine ratings distribution

NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars NIN is the industrial vehicle for American singer/musician Trent Raznor. If we have to give the man credit for one thing it is for bringing the industrial avant-rock that had been thriving in the 80's underground scene to the masses. But the praise he gets for being innovative or even progressive is entirely misplaced, caused by lack of knowledge of the real pioneers that preceded him. Saying NIN is progressive is like claiming Microsoft invented the PC.

It would be a bit of a stretch to provide a background into the industrial music of the 80's here, as it was a very active and creative scene. But I sure need to mention important industrial dance acts such as Cabaret Voltaire and Front 242, and the more noisy industrial pioneers such as Foetus, Coil, Ministry and Einstürzende Neubauten. They all served Raznor as a source of inspiration. Even his inclusion of funky bass loops and poppy hooks is entirely copied from another band, namely My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, who debuted the year before.

So where it concerns originality, innovation and progressiveness, I have to give this album a big zero. But that's only one of many way to look at an album. The actual quality of the songs is quite high. Obviously, you shouldn't look for musicianship or harmonic splendour here. This music goes by other ethics such as the intensity of its alienated feel, the harshness of its sound, the aggression of the beats and the shout-along capability of the material. Quite a bit of similarities with metal actually :)

Raznor sure excels in the virtues expected in this genre and combines it with a knack for a good tune. He manages to keep the album varied and engaging for its entire course. In the early 90's I was a huge fan of the 80's scene that paved the way for NIN, so the fact that I can trace each track back to its main influence will forever spoil the experience for me. All in all, it's a fine album that has turned out to be quite important in rock history.

This is music from a scene as alien to Prog as rap is to folk, but it kind of touches avant-garde and RIO. Still, I'd rather review the real thing, the original bands who broke the ground instead of this second tier band who only popularized it. 2.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278047) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Trent Reznor and his Industrial Metal project Nine Inch Nails gained mass popularity during the '90s but it all started with the 1989 release Pretty Hate Machine. Unlike most of his later releases, this one is not as widely available which most probably has to do with it being released by an independent record label called TVT Records. Fortunately I managed to spot it in one of the down town's used record stores somewhere around 2001-02. Not knowing anything about Nine Inch Nails at the time I basically picked this album off the shelf with a hope of getting my money's worth.

I'm happy to say that I did in fact get more than the cheap album price initially made me assume. This debut album contains 10 pretty decent Industrial Metal tracks ranging from the heavy hitting album opener Head Like A Hole and down to subtile atmospheric music of Something I Can Never Have. These two extremes also happen to be my two personal picks from the album, showing me that Trent Reznor's music has never been about taking the middle ground. This by no means that the rest of material is average, in fact it's all quite excellent and does a perfect job of creating a smooth album flow all throughout the material.

I can't say that Pretty Hate Machine was an eye-opening album for me since I've so far not heard another full length Nine Inch Nails release, but I blame that mainly on me wanting to preserve the perfection of this self-sufficient experience without comparing it to some of Trent Reznor 's later albums. I guess that some of the later singles I've heard did play a part in this decision as well. Even if it's not an album I play all too often, Pretty Hate Machine has definitely withstood the test of time and will continue to uphold a respectable place in my music collection. This music is hardly progressive or original, but for me that's not really an issue when the songwriting bar is set so high.

***** star songs: Head Like A Hole (4:59) Something I Can Never Have (5:54)

**** star songs: Terrible Lie (4:38) Down In It (3:46) Sanctified (5:48) Kinda I Want To (4:33) Sin (4:06) That's What I Get (4:30) Ringfinger (5:40)

*** star songs: The Only Time (4:47)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#296199) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars While not technically a prog rock album, Trent Reznor's debut Nine Inch Nails album is a brilliant blend of angst ridden pop music and hard edged industrial noise music. Sometimes criticized for not being as hard core as Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle and the like, Reznor managed to create a near masterpiece, for being able to combine hard-edged metallic sounds with enough finesse to make it listenable to a wide audience.

The bass is pumped and the beat is emphasized, making this album a club favorite at the time, yet still, there is enough going on in each song to bring me back for a listen when I feel I need that sort of attitude adjustment.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#296206) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars This album has not aged well. Trent Reznor does almost everything here on the debut from NIN. The music here sounds like a mix of synth-pop and industrial. Very electronic sounding compared to later stuff which has more bass, guitar and piano. "Head Like A Hole" is a classic but even it sounds tame and dated now. This song has an awesome bass synth riff. Some kind of tribal singing here and there. The part that goes "bow down before the one you serve" is good. I like the "huh" vocals at the end.

"Sanctified" is a highlight. Great bass line. Nice atmospheric synths. Good guitar and effects in the chorus. At 3:18 you hear some Gregorian chant style vocal sounds. Things pick up when the electronic snare drum comes in near the end. I've always loved how this song seques into the next via a spacey, atmospheric part. Then there is some beautiful piano that starts "Something I Can Never Have", a ballad. Great atmospheric synth in the background. During the chorus where you hear "you make this all go away", there is a synthetic banging sound in one channel and a synthetic handclap sound in the other.

"Kinda I Want To" has an interesting percussion part in the middle. "That's What I Get" has a great bridge/middle eight. Pretty Hate Machine is soon to be re-released in a remastered version. You can currently stream the new reissue on the NME website. It includes a cover of the Queen song "Get Down, Make Love" which was originally a B-side to the single for "Sin". I streamed the album so I could here this cover(I have PHM on cassette but nothing to play it on). While listening to the stream, I figured I might as well do a review of the album.

"Get Down, Make Love" is nowhere as good as the original. There is somebody talking at the beginning. Then you hear Al Jourgenson say "Yes!" from the Ministry song "Stigmata", along with a woman moaning from a porn flick. At the end you hear samples of different Queen songs, including "Get Down, Make Love" itself as well as "We Will Rock You". I have to comment on the new remastering: it's awful! For example, there is a whispered voice in "Sanctified" that is now just as loud as the rest of the vocals. Overall, not a bad album from 1989. Possibly the worst NIN album although With Teeth is not too far behind. 2 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#327572) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Bearing a close resemblance to a much more synthesiser-focused and guitar-light version of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey, the debut album of Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor may not be the most original industrial album out there but it's certainly one of the catchiest ones. Reznor proves to be an adept and skilled judge of the use of sounds, both musical and those which would be regarded traditionally as unmusical, to create a complete sonic landscape, from the anger that dominates most of the tracks to the frustration and sorrow captured in Something I Can Never Have.

Whilst it might not be devastatingly original in terms of the industrial music ideas it uses, it is unique in the extent to which it transforms what had been an austere and somewhat unapproachable genre into a compelling and accessible format. Some may sneer at it, but I think it's a great listen.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#595404) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 24, 2011

Review by Chicapah
4 stars While it doesn't keep me awake at night (few things can) I do wonder why many reviewers have issues with Nine Inch Nails being tagged progressive. One of the definitions of the word is "continuing by successive steps" and Trent Reznor's musical concoctions fit comfortably into that description. Face it, all musicians/songwriters stand on someone's shoulders and when King Solomon wrote that there's nothing new under the sun he wasn't just whistlin' Dixie. It's the very nature of civilized man to often recognize not the inventor but the charismatic pioneer who best took the idea and made it practical and/or accessible to the masses. In other words, don't slight Reznor for taking what other artists were dabbling in and framing it in a format that John Q. Public considered "cool." Those that dwell in the rock & roll penthouses didn't come up with the genre; they just made it irresistible to the average guy and gal. Basically put, Trent saw the potential in industrial rock and seized the moment to mold it into something that appeared to be new. That's progressive creativity at its core.

I have a lot of admiration for folks who disregard long odds and figure out a way to do what they feel they were meant to do by any means necessary. In the 70s one of my closest friends longed to be a studio engineer but had no degree other than the one he'd earned from the school of hard knocks by spending years as a sound tech for club bands. He took a job mopping floors at a Dallas recording facility, absorbed everything he could from the pros that came through the door and eventually got into the control room. He's now one of the top engineers in the southwest. Reznor took a similar route. He, too, took a menial position as a studio's janitor and bartered for free time in the wee hours of the morning when the place was deserted to hone his craft. The result was a demo called "Purest Feeling" and it got him a record deal with an independent label. The lesson is that all things are possible if you're willing to stoop to do whatever it takes. Giving his one-man outfit the catchy title of Nine Inch Nails, Trent reworked his rough tracks and added a few more to produce his debut, "Pretty Hate Machine," releasing it on October 20, 1989 as the strange 80s came to a close.

"Head Like a Hole" is the opener and it's the song that initially drew me into Reznor's universe. I've always been keen on discovering fresh music and this ferocious number was exciting stuff, indeed. The tune's crawling synth riff is so menacing it put me in a deer-in-the-headlights trance and the uncompromised honesty in Trent's voice made it realistic and impossible to turn away from. Being a born-again Christian you'd think that his uncensored, vitriolic lyrics would be off-putting to me but I'm not at all intimidated by the rantings of a tortured soul because I used to be one. I can relate to his skewered outlook and even agree with him more often than you'd predict. Here he warns those who consider wealth to be their entitlement that "God money don't want everything, he wants it all." Amen. "Terrible Lie" is more dramatic and features needle-sharp accents that pinch and tear. Reznor's approach is subtler here but his voice retains all the inflamed bitterness that's essential to getting his message across. He addresses God directly with "There's nothing left for me to hide/I lost my ignorance, security and pride/I'm all alone in a world you must despise" and that's not far off the mark. A busy drum track boils underneath "Down In It," supporting his spoken-word verses that drip with edgy sarcasm. "Everything I never liked about you is kind of seeping into me/I try to laugh about it now/but isn't it funny how everything works out/I guess the joke's on me, she said," he wryly intones. The repeated chorus with its echoing rally-at-Nuremburg synthesized chant is slightly terrifying and oddly enticing at the same time.

A semi-world beat, rhythmic beginning to "Sanctified" is soon reinforced by a strong funk bass line and the track's subdued atmosphere provides a change of pace at this point. A recurring theme in this album concerns the mysterious spell that lust/love casts over a man's psyche. "I still dream of lips I never should have kissed/well, she knows exactly what I can't resist," he sings. The monks-in-a-monastery-on-acid interlude is an inspired moment. The song segues into "Something I Can Never Have" where a cavernous space opens up in the background behind Trent's restrained voice. Hot steam and sheet metal percussion effects are ominous and by now it's obvious that Reznor was intent on bringing novel, transfixing sounds to the prog rock table. The tune's nightmare-ish aura is captivating as he cries, "This thing is slowly taking me apart/grey would be the color if I had a heart." The pseudo hip-hop groove below "Kinda I Want It" is misleading for this is anything but happy dance music. The cut's motif allows him to experiment with an array of mechanical and electronically-conceived noises and devices that I find fascinating. From there he slides seamlessly into "Sin" (as we all do sometimes), where a disco-in-hell pounding bass drum drives an exercise in intensity as he angrily spews out contradictory lines like "I gave you my Purity/My Purity you stole." Yet Trent never loses sight of the difference tactfully-placed dynamics make in music no matter the genre and that's the mark of an aural artist.

Brittle synths set the stage for "That's What I Get" before the landscape widens for his in-your-face vocal. A technique that's one of the most interesting aspects of NIN is the contrast of an unadorned human voice in juxtaposition to artificial instrumentation. Here he expresses the universal angst of the jilted with "Why does it come as a surprise/to think that I was so naïve/maybe didn't mean that much/but it meant everything to me," he sings. The album receives a real jolt of energy from "The Only Time." Its infectious funk establishes the heavy, unrelenting feel of a dangerous undertow and Reznor employs alien sounds I'd never heard before in a way that forced me to pay strict attention to what he's creating. He's not just tossing buckets of paint on a canvas willy-nilly; this is intelligent and well-designed material. Most of us can empathize with his line of "My moral standing is lying down." Another pulsating bass drum lays down a monotonous pattern for him to layer electric colors on top of in the finale, "Ringfinger." A stinging guitar is wielded like a chainsaw to cut through the song's glossy veneer, supercharging the tune's persona. His "relation frustration" rears its scarred head one last time to spit out "If I was twice the man I could be/I'd still be half of what you need" before the disc ends with what sounds like a disastrous short circuit.

Here's the deal. "Pretty Hate Machine" may not be your idea of time well spent but dull or condescending it ain't. I admit that it has all the earmarks of a roughly-hewn debut but one can't deny the raw enthusiasm contained in nearly every song that captured the interest of millions worldwide as the 90s got under way. It's a good album, all things considered. It peaked at #75 but, more significantly, it roamed the Billboard 200 chart for 113 weeks, making it one of the first indie label releases to go platinum so it's fair to say that Trent struck a nerve and filled a need with his creations. Three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#603513) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 05, 2012

5 stars This is the second album here I've given five stars that isn't really prog at all, but just like "The Bends" this one deserves it nonetheless. People didn't really notice Pretty Hate Machine at the time of its release, and even now I don't think it's gotten the attention and acclaim it deserves, ... (read more)

Report this review (#276039) | Posted by CinemaZebra | Friday, April 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NINE INCH NAILS "Pretty Hate Machine"