PRETTY HATE MACHINE

Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Music
Studio Album, released in 1989

1. Head Like a Hole (5:00)
2. Terrible Lie (4:39)
3. Down in It (3:46)
4. Sanctified (5:48)
5. Something I Can Never Have (5:55)
6. Kinda I Want To (4:33)
7. Sin (4:06)
8. That's What I Get (4:30)
9. The Only Time (4:47)
10. Ringfinger (5:41)

Total time 48:45

Search NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine lyrics

Search NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine tabs

- Trent Reznor / vocals, all instruments
- Richard Patrick / guitars (track 4)

Thanks to windhawk for the addition

NINE INCH NAILS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine Music

Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
EP · Extra tracks · Import
Island UK 1995
And All That Could Have BeenAnd All That Could Have Been
Nothing 2002
Nine Inch Nails - Broken & Fixed, Double CD single set, VG US $7.50 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Einsturzende Neubauten "Ende Neu" LP OOP NM Skinny Puppy Nine Inch Nails US $27.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Coil / Nine Inch Nails - Recoiled NEW CD US $20.67 Buy It Now 2h
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) ORG US $13.09 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DJ PROMO CD-NINE INCH NAILS-TAYLOR SWIFT-KIX BROOKS-BECKY G-DEMI LOVATO-FAME+VA US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
NINE INCH NAILS "AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN" LIVE CD ALBUM FOLD OUT DIGIPAK US $3.19 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails *New CD* US $8.82 Buy It Now 2h 22m
DJ PROMO CD-NINE INCH NAILS-BLACK SABBATH-MEGADETH-MOTIONLESS IN WHITE-PEPPER+VA US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
NINE INCH NAILS OFFICIAL PROMO 2014 UK TOUR FLYER DOUBLE SIDED HIGHLY COLLECTABL US $11.21 Buy It Now 2h 31m
NINE INCH NAILS-THE HAND THAT FEEDS 3 MIXES-INTERSCOPE INTRA-11474-1 NM/VG+ 12" US $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 38m
ROLLING STONES BEASTIE BOYS MARIAH CAREY NINE INCH NAILS RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
SPK Metal Dance/ Power 12" THROBBING GRISTLE Industrial Nine Inch Nails COIL US $15.99 [1 bids]
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Sep-1999, 2 Discs, Nothing/Interscope) US $1.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS**HESITATION MARKS (BONUS EDITION)**2 CD SET US $17.95 Buy It Now 3h 3m
The Hand That Feeds [Single] [Limited] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Apr-2005,... US $9.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS remix album Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D Joy Division JAPAN CD + DVD SEALED US $8.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS year zero JAPAN CD DIGIPAK NIN SEAL NEW US $6.99 [0 bids]
SHERYL CROW, GEORGE MICHAEL Japan Promo Only 2CD rare! V.A. Nine Inch Nails US $23.99 [0 bids]
NATURAL BORN KILLERS-Alternative-NINE INCH NAILS-Dr.Dre-TRENT REZNOR-Bob dylan- US $7.49 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral CD Single Disc With Slip Case VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
NINE INCH NAILS**PERFECT DRUG (EP)**CD US $5.65 Buy It Now 4h 35m
VARIOUS **NINE INCH NAILS: STRING QUARTET TRIBUTE**CD US $10.14 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Hesitation Marks [Digipak] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 2013, HALO (Label)) US $5.49 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS**AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN LIVE**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 4h 46m
marilyn manson the nobodies promo cd jackass mtv nothing metal nine inch nails US $9.99 [0 bids]
NME 1991 SEPTEMBER 7 EMF NINE INCH NAILS RIGHT SAID FRED US $14.41 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
NIN CD Nine Inch Nails Year Zero Heavy Metal Gothic Alternative MINT US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Nine Inch Nails, Pussycat Dolls, Beck, Keane, Feist - U.S. PROMO 2 cds - RARE! US $15.98 Buy It Now 6h 46m
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Sep-1999, 2 Discs) New Sealed SS Unopen US $6.00 [1 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS Japan 1999 NM Maxi-CD+Obi HALO THIRTEEN THE DAY THE WORLD WENT A US $25.99 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Nine Inch Nails Broken Fold Out Cover 6 track Ep CD NM FREE US SHIPPING US $9.98 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Nine Inch Nails With Teeth digipak NEW ships Fast not a promo combined shipping US $3.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS ~ PRETTY HATE MACHINE ~ MUSIC CASSETTE TAPE ~ TVT RECORDS Reznor US $5.99 [0 bids]
8h
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $4.50 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-Iv [CD New] US $129.98 Buy It Now 8h 7m
NIN COIL Recoiled x/500 SPLATTER VINYL LP SOLD OUT Nine Inch Nails ( Se7en Brown US $75.00 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Various : Covered in Nails: A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails CD (2000) US $4.34 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Nine Inch Nails / Happiness in Slavery 12" LP EX VIP Advance Copy US $12.50 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Broken - Digipak CD US $7.80 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Coil / Nine Inch Nails | Recoiled Brown/Black Splatter Vinyl LP /500 Closer New US $69.95 [0 bids]
Covered in Nails: A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails CD PIG Rosetta Stone Newlydeads US $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 48m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-1989... US $7.00 Buy It Now 10h 27m
The Day the World Went Away [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jul-1999,... US $1.00 [0 bids]
Further Down The Spiral, Nine Inch Nails,Very Good, Audio CDs-Complete in Jewel US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
RARE OOP PROMO The Bowling Green CD One Pound Note NINE INCH NAILS Nothing 1998 US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Natural Born Killers: A Soundtrack For An Oliver Stone Film, Nine Inch Nails,Ver US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m
NINE INCH NAILS-Downward Spiral-Licensed T-Shirt-Med-Brand New-M US $21.86 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $3.95 Buy It Now 11h 16m
NINE INCH NAILS**WITH TEETH**DUALDISC US $15.74 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Head Like a Hole [UK] [Single] by Nine Inch Nails CD US $1.79 Buy It Now 12h 23m
KMFDM GLORY 7" VINYL RECORD WHITE LIMITED SINGLE TOOL NINE INCH NAILS RAMMSTEIN US $29.99 [0 bids]
KMFDM - DIY/THAT'S ALL - 7" VINYL RECORD LIMITED nine inch nails rammstein 25 US $37.98 [0 bids]
THE YOUNG GODS longue route 12" SEALED swans ministry nine inch nails kmfdm f242 US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 15m
NINE INCH NAILS ryan adams GARBAGE fall out boy AUDIOSLAVE def leppard PROMO CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 26m
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral [DIGIPAK) US $1.59 [0 bids]
ISLAND , KERRANG AWARDS 2005 PROMO CD ( NINE INCH NAILS ) RARE !! US $16.02 Buy It Now 16h 42m
SPIT road pizza 12" EP batz without flesh ministry nine inch nails kmfdm foetus US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 50m
Nine Inch Nails Only Promo CD Island Records NiN Rare Rock Single US $49.99 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Nine Inch Nails Promo CD And All That Could of Been 2002 Interscope/Nothing Rock US $23.97 Buy It Now 17h 19m
NINE INCH NAILS BROKEN LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1992 RARE WITHOUT BACKCOVER STICKER US $79.99 Buy It Now 17h 34m
With Teeth by Nine Inch Nails (CD, May-2005, Universal) Cardboard case US $7.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS Things Falling Apart CD Japan Japanese not a promo complete OBI US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 21m
Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds (DFA Remixes) 12" INTR-11474-1 US $10.00 Buy It Now 18h 28m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 18h 39m
Nine Inch Nails, Hesitation marks, NEW/MINT Double vinyl LP with art card US $40.07 Buy It Now 19h
NINE INCH NAILS/ pretty hate machine/ JAPAN LTD US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 16m
NINE INCH NAILS / year zero / JAPAN LTD CD OBI US $19.99 Buy It Now 19h 16m
NINE INCH NAILS Downward Spiral + With Teeth Indonesia Import 2 CD not promo US $19.99 Buy It Now 19h 17m
The Slip by Nine Inch Nails *New CD* US $15.23 Buy It Now 19h 32m
Nine Inch Nails : With Teeth CD (2005) US $6.94 Buy It Now 19h 41m
Further Down the Spiral [EP] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, May-1995, TVT (Dist.)) US $4.45 Buy It Now 19h 57m
Head Like a Hole [UK] [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Apr-1990, TVT (Dist.)) US $8.95 Buy It Now 19h 59m
Nine Inch Nails (Vinyl 3 LP 1999 Nothing Records Halo Fourteen) US $152.50 [11 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS CD BROKEN HALO FIVE DIGIPAK TRENT RESNOR ROCK & ROLL NIN US $6.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
Broken [EP] by NINE INCH NAILS US $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 6m
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down The Spiral (CD 1995) US $7.94 Buy It Now 21h 27m
NINE INCH NAILS / the perfect drug /JAPAN LTD OBI US $12.99 Buy It Now 21h 46m
NINE INCH NAILS NIN RARE INTO THE VOID 4 TRACK CD SINGLE US $74.49 Buy It Now 21h 50m
Prick by Prick (CD, Feb-1995, Nothing (USA) NIne Inch Nails US $4.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS-THE HAND THAT FEEDS THE PHOTEK REMIXES 12" VINYL SEALED NIN US $17.48 Buy It Now 22h 6m
NINE INCH NAILS BROKEN LP 1992 ATLANTIC BRAZIL 8 tracks 1st PRESSING INTERSCOPE US $39.99 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks [Digipak] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 2013, HALO (Label)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral CD 2000 Rock US $6.25 Buy It Now 23h 2m
Nine Inch Nails Halo Thirteen Single CD US $2.00 Buy It Now 23h 4m
Nine Inch Nails "Head Like a Hole CD Single, 1990 TVT US $9.49 Buy It Now 23h 15m
Nine Inch Nails "Head Like A Hole" (State, Copper. Opal Mix) CD Single 1991 US $9.49 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Nine Inch Nails - "Further Down The Spiral" CD EP US $5.49 Buy It Now 23h 16m
NEW RARE OOP Broken Nine Inch Nails CD TVT LONGBOX EP US $199.99 Buy It Now 23h 26m
NINE INCH NAILS - HESITATION MARKS * 180 GRAM VINYL 2 LP + CD NEW US $19.90 Buy It Now 23h 34m
TRIBUTE TO NINE INCH NAILS / VARIOUS NEW CD US $14.49 Buy It Now 23h 47m
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral [SACD New] US $24.25 Buy It Now 23h 54m
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-Iv [CD New] US $12.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - Slip [CD New] US $17.73 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero [CD New] US $8.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails NIN Head Like A Hole 12" OG Pressing 1990 TVT 2614 VG/VG+ HALO 3 US $12.50 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS The Hand That Feeds 1-track promo CD single US $3.99 [0 bids]
COIL / NINE INCH NAILS Recoiled BLACK LP Industrial Se7en US $28.06 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS**WITH TEETH**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - the Downward Spiral - [PA] - (CD,1994) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy NINE INCH NAILS music online Buy NINE INCH NAILS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NINE INCH NAILS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine ratings distribution

NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine reviews

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars NIN is the industrial vehicle for American singer/musician Trent Raznor. If we have to give the man credit for one thing it is for bringing the industrial avant-rock that had been thriving in the 80's underground scene to the masses. But the praise he gets for being innovative or even progressive is entirely misplaced, caused by lack of knowledge of the real pioneers that preceded him. Saying NIN is progressive is like claiming Microsoft invented the PC.

It would be a bit of a stretch to provide a background into the industrial music of the 80's here, as it was a very active and creative scene. But I sure need to mention important industrial dance acts such as Cabaret Voltaire and Front 242, and the more noisy industrial pioneers such as Foetus, Coil, Ministry and Einstürzende Neubauten. They all served Raznor as a source of inspiration. Even his inclusion of funky bass loops and poppy hooks is entirely copied from another band, namely My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, who debuted the year before.

So where it concerns originality, innovation and progressiveness, I have to give this album a big zero. But that's only one of many way to look at an album. The actual quality of the songs is quite high. Obviously, you shouldn't look for musicianship or harmonic splendour here. This music goes by other ethics such as the intensity of its alienated feel, the harshness of its sound, the aggression of the beats and the shout-along capability of the material. Quite a bit of similarities with metal actually :)

Raznor sure excels in the virtues expected in this genre and combines it with a knack for a good tune. He manages to keep the album varied and engaging for its entire course. In the early 90's I was a huge fan of the 80's scene that paved the way for NIN, so the fact that I can trace each track back to its main influence will forever spoil the experience for me. All in all, it's a fine album that has turned out to be quite important in rock history.

This is music from a scene as alien to Prog as rap is to folk, but it kind of touches avant-garde and RIO. Still, I'd rather review the real thing, the original bands who broke the ground instead of this second tier band who only popularized it. 2.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#278047) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Trent Reznor and his Industrial Metal project Nine Inch Nails gained mass popularity during the '90s but it all started with the 1989 release Pretty Hate Machine. Unlike most of his later releases, this one is not as widely available which most probably has to do with it being released by an independent record label called TVT Records. Fortunately I managed to spot it in one of the down town's used record stores somewhere around 2001-02. Not knowing anything about Nine Inch Nails at the time I basically picked this album off the shelf with a hope of getting my money's worth.

I'm happy to say that I did in fact get more than the cheap album price initially made me assume. This debut album contains 10 pretty decent Industrial Metal tracks ranging from the heavy hitting album opener Head Like A Hole and down to subtile atmospheric music of Something I Can Never Have. These two extremes also happen to be my two personal picks from the album, showing me that Trent Reznor's music has never been about taking the middle ground. This by no means that the rest of material is average, in fact it's all quite excellent and does a perfect job of creating a smooth album flow all throughout the material.

I can't say that Pretty Hate Machine was an eye-opening album for me since I've so far not heard another full length Nine Inch Nails release, but I blame that mainly on me wanting to preserve the perfection of this self-sufficient experience without comparing it to some of Trent Reznor 's later albums. I guess that some of the later singles I've heard did play a part in this decision as well. Even if it's not an album I play all too often, Pretty Hate Machine has definitely withstood the test of time and will continue to uphold a respectable place in my music collection. This music is hardly progressive or original, but for me that's not really an issue when the songwriting bar is set so high.

***** star songs: Head Like A Hole (4:59) Something I Can Never Have (5:54)

**** star songs: Terrible Lie (4:38) Down In It (3:46) Sanctified (5:48) Kinda I Want To (4:33) Sin (4:06) That's What I Get (4:30) Ringfinger (5:40)

*** star songs: The Only Time (4:47)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#296199) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars While not technically a prog rock album, Trent Reznor's debut Nine Inch Nails album is a brilliant blend of angst ridden pop music and hard edged industrial noise music. Sometimes criticized for not being as hard core as Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle and the like, Reznor managed to create a near masterpiece, for being able to combine hard-edged metallic sounds with enough finesse to make it listenable to a wide audience.

The bass is pumped and the beat is emphasized, making this album a club favorite at the time, yet still, there is enough going on in each song to bring me back for a listen when I feel I need that sort of attitude adjustment.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#296206) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars This album has not aged well. Trent Reznor does almost everything here on the debut from NIN. The music here sounds like a mix of synth-pop and industrial. Very electronic sounding compared to later stuff which has more bass, guitar and piano. "Head Like A Hole" is a classic but even it sounds tame and dated now. This song has an awesome bass synth riff. Some kind of tribal singing here and there. The part that goes "bow down before the one you serve" is good. I like the "huh" vocals at the end.

"Sanctified" is a highlight. Great bass line. Nice atmospheric synths. Good guitar and effects in the chorus. At 3:18 you hear some Gregorian chant style vocal sounds. Things pick up when the electronic snare drum comes in near the end. I've always loved how this song seques into the next via a spacey, atmospheric part. Then there is some beautiful piano that starts "Something I Can Never Have", a ballad. Great atmospheric synth in the background. During the chorus where you hear "you make this all go away", there is a synthetic banging sound in one channel and a synthetic handclap sound in the other.

"Kinda I Want To" has an interesting percussion part in the middle. "That's What I Get" has a great bridge/middle eight. Pretty Hate Machine is soon to be re-released in a remastered version. You can currently stream the new reissue on the NME website. It includes a cover of the Queen song "Get Down, Make Love" which was originally a B-side to the single for "Sin". I streamed the album so I could here this cover(I have PHM on cassette but nothing to play it on). While listening to the stream, I figured I might as well do a review of the album.

"Get Down, Make Love" is nowhere as good as the original. There is somebody talking at the beginning. Then you hear Al Jourgenson say "Yes!" from the Ministry song "Stigmata", along with a woman moaning from a porn flick. At the end you hear samples of different Queen songs, including "Get Down, Make Love" itself as well as "We Will Rock You". I have to comment on the new remastering: it's awful! For example, there is a whispered voice in "Sanctified" that is now just as loud as the rest of the vocals. Overall, not a bad album from 1989. Possibly the worst NIN album although With Teeth is not too far behind. 2 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#327572) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Bearing a close resemblance to a much more synthesiser-focused and guitar-light version of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey, the debut album of Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor may not be the most original industrial album out there but it's certainly one of the catchiest ones. Reznor proves to be an adept and skilled judge of the use of sounds, both musical and those which would be regarded traditionally as unmusical, to create a complete sonic landscape, from the anger that dominates most of the tracks to the frustration and sorrow captured in Something I Can Never Have.

Whilst it might not be devastatingly original in terms of the industrial music ideas it uses, it is unique in the extent to which it transforms what had been an austere and somewhat unapproachable genre into a compelling and accessible format. Some may sneer at it, but I think it's a great listen.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#595404) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 24, 2011

Review by Chicapah
4 stars While it doesn't keep me awake at night (few things can) I do wonder why many reviewers have issues with Nine Inch Nails being tagged progressive. One of the definitions of the word is "continuing by successive steps" and Trent Reznor's musical concoctions fit comfortably into that description. Face it, all musicians/songwriters stand on someone's shoulders and when King Solomon wrote that there's nothing new under the sun he wasn't just whistlin' Dixie. It's the very nature of civilized man to often recognize not the inventor but the charismatic pioneer who best took the idea and made it practical and/or accessible to the masses. In other words, don't slight Reznor for taking what other artists were dabbling in and framing it in a format that John Q. Public considered "cool." Those that dwell in the rock & roll penthouses didn't come up with the genre; they just made it irresistible to the average guy and gal. Basically put, Trent saw the potential in industrial rock and seized the moment to mold it into something that appeared to be new. That's progressive creativity at its core.

I have a lot of admiration for folks who disregard long odds and figure out a way to do what they feel they were meant to do by any means necessary. In the 70s one of my closest friends longed to be a studio engineer but had no degree other than the one he'd earned from the school of hard knocks by spending years as a sound tech for club bands. He took a job mopping floors at a Dallas recording facility, absorbed everything he could from the pros that came through the door and eventually got into the control room. He's now one of the top engineers in the southwest. Reznor took a similar route. He, too, took a menial position as a studio's janitor and bartered for free time in the wee hours of the morning when the place was deserted to hone his craft. The result was a demo called "Purest Feeling" and it got him a record deal with an independent label. The lesson is that all things are possible if you're willing to stoop to do whatever it takes. Giving his one-man outfit the catchy title of Nine Inch Nails, Trent reworked his rough tracks and added a few more to produce his debut, "Pretty Hate Machine," releasing it on October 20, 1989 as the strange 80s came to a close.

"Head Like a Hole" is the opener and it's the song that initially drew me into Reznor's universe. I've always been keen on discovering fresh music and this ferocious number was exciting stuff, indeed. The tune's crawling synth riff is so menacing it put me in a deer-in-the-headlights trance and the uncompromised honesty in Trent's voice made it realistic and impossible to turn away from. Being a born-again Christian you'd think that his uncensored, vitriolic lyrics would be off-putting to me but I'm not at all intimidated by the rantings of a tortured soul because I used to be one. I can relate to his skewered outlook and even agree with him more often than you'd predict. Here he warns those who consider wealth to be their entitlement that "God money don't want everything, he wants it all." Amen. "Terrible Lie" is more dramatic and features needle-sharp accents that pinch and tear. Reznor's approach is subtler here but his voice retains all the inflamed bitterness that's essential to getting his message across. He addresses God directly with "There's nothing left for me to hide/I lost my ignorance, security and pride/I'm all alone in a world you must despise" and that's not far off the mark. A busy drum track boils underneath "Down In It," supporting his spoken-word verses that drip with edgy sarcasm. "Everything I never liked about you is kind of seeping into me/I try to laugh about it now/but isn't it funny how everything works out/I guess the joke's on me, she said," he wryly intones. The repeated chorus with its echoing rally-at-Nuremburg synthesized chant is slightly terrifying and oddly enticing at the same time.

A semi-world beat, rhythmic beginning to "Sanctified" is soon reinforced by a strong funk bass line and the track's subdued atmosphere provides a change of pace at this point. A recurring theme in this album concerns the mysterious spell that lust/love casts over a man's psyche. "I still dream of lips I never should have kissed/well, she knows exactly what I can't resist," he sings. The monks-in-a-monastery-on-acid interlude is an inspired moment. The song segues into "Something I Can Never Have" where a cavernous space opens up in the background behind Trent's restrained voice. Hot steam and sheet metal percussion effects are ominous and by now it's obvious that Reznor was intent on bringing novel, transfixing sounds to the prog rock table. The tune's nightmare-ish aura is captivating as he cries, "This thing is slowly taking me apart/grey would be the color if I had a heart." The pseudo hip-hop groove below "Kinda I Want It" is misleading for this is anything but happy dance music. The cut's motif allows him to experiment with an array of mechanical and electronically-conceived noises and devices that I find fascinating. From there he slides seamlessly into "Sin" (as we all do sometimes), where a disco-in-hell pounding bass drum drives an exercise in intensity as he angrily spews out contradictory lines like "I gave you my Purity/My Purity you stole." Yet Trent never loses sight of the difference tactfully-placed dynamics make in music no matter the genre and that's the mark of an aural artist.

Brittle synths set the stage for "That's What I Get" before the landscape widens for his in-your-face vocal. A technique that's one of the most interesting aspects of NIN is the contrast of an unadorned human voice in juxtaposition to artificial instrumentation. Here he expresses the universal angst of the jilted with "Why does it come as a surprise/to think that I was so naïve/maybe didn't mean that much/but it meant everything to me," he sings. The album receives a real jolt of energy from "The Only Time." Its infectious funk establishes the heavy, unrelenting feel of a dangerous undertow and Reznor employs alien sounds I'd never heard before in a way that forced me to pay strict attention to what he's creating. He's not just tossing buckets of paint on a canvas willy-nilly; this is intelligent and well-designed material. Most of us can empathize with his line of "My moral standing is lying down." Another pulsating bass drum lays down a monotonous pattern for him to layer electric colors on top of in the finale, "Ringfinger." A stinging guitar is wielded like a chainsaw to cut through the song's glossy veneer, supercharging the tune's persona. His "relation frustration" rears its scarred head one last time to spit out "If I was twice the man I could be/I'd still be half of what you need" before the disc ends with what sounds like a disastrous short circuit.

Here's the deal. "Pretty Hate Machine" may not be your idea of time well spent but dull or condescending it ain't. I admit that it has all the earmarks of a roughly-hewn debut but one can't deny the raw enthusiasm contained in nearly every song that captured the interest of millions worldwide as the 90s got under way. It's a good album, all things considered. It peaked at #75 but, more significantly, it roamed the Billboard 200 chart for 113 weeks, making it one of the first indie label releases to go platinum so it's fair to say that Trent struck a nerve and filled a need with his creations. Three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#603513) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 05, 2012

5 stars This is the second album here I've given five stars that isn't really prog at all, but just like "The Bends" this one deserves it nonetheless. People didn't really notice Pretty Hate Machine at the time of its release, and even now I don't think it's gotten the attention and acclaim it deserves, ... (read more)

Report this review (#276039) | Posted by CinemaZebra | Friday, April 02, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NINE INCH NAILS "Pretty Hate Machine"