KILIMANJARO SECRET BREW

3rd World Electric

3rd World Electric Kilimanjaro Secret Brew album cover

Buy 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Waterfront Migration (7:50)
2. Ode to Joe (4:59)
3. Capetown Traffic (5:38)
4. Downbeat Dakar (6:16)
5. The Lava Juggler (5:30)
6. Kilimanjaro Secret Brew (7:02)
7. Tin Can Robots (6:04)
8. Children of the Future (9:02)

Search 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC Kilimanjaro Secret Brew lyrics

.Karl-Martin Almqvist - Tenor & Soprano Saxophones
.Dave Weckl - Drums
.Zoltan Czörsz - Drums
.Ayi Solomon - Congas, Shakers & Percussion

CD: Reingold Records RRCD 001 (Sweden)

The first edition of the album is a LTD digipack with a 55 minutes of music and a 16 pages book.

Thanks to snobb for the addition

3RD WORLD ELECTRIC MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC Kilimanjaro Secret Brew Music

Kilimanjaro Secret BrewKilimanjaro Secret Brew
Reingold Records

More places to buy 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC music online Buy 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

3RD WORLD ELECTRIC Kilimanjaro Secret Brew ratings distribution

3RD WORLD ELECTRIC Kilimanjaro Secret Brew reviews

3 stars What drew me to this album was the fact that Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold and former FLOWER KINGS drummer Zoltan Csorsz were involved in making this Jazz / Fusion album.These guys are such good players I thought it would probably be a very good record, and besides it would be interesting to hear them play in this style.The album cover sort of visualizes what we hear on this album. It's like a street party with so many sounds involved including percussion and congas. The closest reference might be WEATHER REPORT's "Heavy Weather" album. While this is a good album it's too light for my tastes. I wish there was some fuzz or atmosphere or experimentation. It's just too smooth, especially the sax that does nothing for me here and hence the "Heavy Weather" reference. "Waterfront Migration" is light with a beat and sax standing out.This is catchy but not my thing. "Ode To Joe" is where they slow things down. Lots of sax leads. It does pick up some before 3 minutes. "Capetown Traffic" is much better as it has more of a Fusion vibe. And yes There is Fender Rhodes too. Sax, bass and percussion then start to lead as it lightens unfortunately. It's still good though.

"Downbeat Dakar" turns funky with sax, percussion, drums and a collage of sounds.This recalls Herbie Hancock. "The Lava Juggler" has lots of bass, drums and percussion as sax plays over top. Keyboards lead after 2 minutes. Great sound a minute later then the guitar comes in around 4 minutes. "Kilimanjaro Secret Brew" is really good because they at least add some atmosphere. "The Can Robots" is catchy with some great sounding guitar finally. It's funky after 3 minutes. "Children Of The Future" opens with piano as it builds. Piano only a minute in then it builds again. Guitar and drums lead 5 minutes in then it's time for the sax to lead.

I wish they had been more daring. I feel that this album is just too safe.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#303892) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review by Anthony H.
3 stars 3rd World Electric: Kilimanjaro Secret Brew [2009]

Rating: 6/10

Kilimanjaro Secret Brew is the debut album from Roine Stolt's jazz-fusion side project 3rd World Electric. When I first discovered this album's existence, I was incredibly excited. The idea of Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold, Lalle Larsson, and Zoltan Czorsz all playing jazz together was more than enough to pique my interest. These are some my all-time favorite symphonic-prog musicians, and I was anxious to hear them tackle a different musical style. The Flower Kings are not total strangers to jazz; the instrumental tracks on Unfold the Future, the middle section of 'I Am the Sun Part 1' from Space Revolver, and 'The Melting Pot' from Retopolis all feature a strong fusion slant. Unexpectedly, however, this album bears very little resemblance to these tracks. The music on Kilimanjaro Secret Brew strongly evokes Weather Report's 70s albums, and there is also a noticeable world-music influence. While there are excellent moments here, I find much of much this album to be disappointingly sterile and unadventurous.

The opener 'Waterfront Migration' is a reggae-influenced track with a strong sax presence. Jonas's bass work is excellent and Larsson's synth solo is fantastic, but the main motif is unexciting. 'Ode to Joe' comes a bit too close to smooth-jazz for my tastes, even though the bass tones are tasty as always. The excellent 'CapeTown Traffic' lays down an excellent groove complemented by some smoking Moog. This whole track is quite groovy, with funky bass and smooth sax. Roine finally busts out a few guitar licks on 'Downbeat Dakar.' There are some good solo sections here; however, as with many others of these tracks, the main hook seems generic and uninteresting. 'The Lava Juggler' is the strongest track on the album. The band revs up the energy here: the sax is wailing, the bass is thumping, and the synths are pulsating. The hook is excellent, as well; this is a superb track in every way. The title track is a mellow piece with more strong bass and synth work. It also includes one of the highlights of the album: a laid-back guitar solo from Roine. 'Tin Can Robots' is another groovy, funky track with some high-energy guitar work. Although it doesn't quite reach of the level of the previous two tracks, this is one of the better pieces on the album. 'Children of the Future' is the longest track here. Larrson is the star here; he lays down terrific piano and synth, ending the album on a high note.

The Swedish Prog Family created a very good album with Kilimanjaro Secret Brew, but they could have created a better one. These are phenomenal musicians, and I know for a fact that they are able to work well within the jazz mold. John (Mellotron Storm) said it perfectly in his review: 'This album is just too safe.' There's simply not enough creativity going on here. There are vast possibilities in fusion, but it seems like the band is afraid to cross into them. Instead, they opted for nothing but a smooth and light approach. This approach works fantastically with symphonic prog, but it seems rather dull when put into a jazz context. That's not to say that there aren't good things to say about this album. The musicianship is superb. Larsson's synths are phenomenal, and Jonas's bass work is incredible as always. However, I do wish that Roine was given more of a place of this album. He is one of my favorite guitarists, but he only shows up a few times here. These few appearances form some of the best moments on the album, which only makes me sadder that he isn't more strongly featured. Overall, though, I find myself feeling good after listening to Kilimanjaro Secret Brew. Regardless, I wish that the band had pulled a few more punches on this release.

Send comments to Anthony H. (BETA) | Report this review (#503755) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review by b_olariu
3 stars 3.5 really

When I heared this album 2 years ago I said to myself is Wheater Report still alive!!! I guess not, but what this band named 3rd Electric World offer here is a great tibute to the glory days when Weather Report was at the pick of their career (Black market, Heavy weather era). A bunch of world known and skilful musicians are involved here, all are top notch to the instruments they play, Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold , Lalle Larsson, Dave Weckl, Zoltan Czörsz and little known to me Karl-Martin Almqvist. The CD didgipak format released in 2009 at Jonas Reingold label simply named Reingold comes with a great cover art that goes hand in hand with the music inside. Jazz fusion like in the mid to late '70's with lots of sax interludes beside traditional instruments, some congas added to give a unique atmosphere, this album named Kilimanjaro secret brew was a pleasent ride for me. Because I'm a fan of Weather Report , this album was instantly accepted by me, catchy passages, groovy bass line, some great keyboards coming from one of the most talend keybordist in last decade, and inventive druming. Maybe the creativity of the music and overall arrangements bring nothing new in this scene, but I don't think this release really disappoints at all. Pieces like Capetown traffic is instant catchy and I could swear that this album was made in the glory days of jazz fusion '70's. I like very much the bass lines and how easy Jonas Reingold handle the instrument, he can plays aswell very good in a progressive metal band like An endless sporadic as here, quite diffrent typs of music, and very diffrent then Karmakanic and The Flowers King aswell, in each band he is quite special and very confident in his abilities as musician. Back to the album, I really like what I've heared here, is by no means groundbreaking, but is pleasent from start to finish and I like this kind of jazz fusion a lot. Musicianship is top notch, if they work little bit on creativity and inventivness zone on their next album if there will be one in the future, then for sure they can add me as a fan. 3.5 stars

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#623280) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Post a review of 3RD WORLD ELECTRIC "Kilimanjaro Secret Brew"