HEAD LIKE A HOLE

Nine Inch Nails Head Like a Hole album cover

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1990

US version

1. Head Like a Hole (Slate) (4:13)
2. Head Like a Hole (Clay) (4:30)
3. Terrible Lie (Sympathetic Mix) (4:26)
4. Head Like a Hole (Copper) (6:26)
5. You Know Who You Are (5:40)
6. Head Like a Hole (Soil) (6:38)
7. Terrible Lie (Empathetic Mix) (6:11)
8. Down in It (Shred) (6:51)
9. Down in It (Singe) (7:21)
10. Down in It (Demo) (3:55)
11. Unlisted Track (0:04)

UK version

1. Head Like a Hole (Clay) (4:30)
2. Head Like a Hole (Copper) (6:26)
3. Head Like a Hole (Opal) (5:18)

Search NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole lyrics

Search NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole tabs

- Trent Reznor - vocals, arranger, programming, producer, engineer, digital editing, mixing

Released in the US by TVT Records on 12" Vinyl and CD.
Released in the UK by Island Records on 12" Vinyl and CD.

Thanks to AgentSpork for the addition

NINE INCH NAILS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole Music

Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Nothing Records 2007
Pretty Hate MachinePretty Hate Machine
Umvd Labels 2011
NINE INCH NAILS:Star:T-shirt NEW:MEDIUM ONLY US $28.10 Buy It Now 40m 31s
APHEX TWIN - 26 MIXES FOR CASH - UK 2 X CD SET - ELECTRONICA - NINE INCH NAILS US $12.17 Buy It Now 1h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS - Red Logo Sticker - New US $4.67 Buy It Now 1h 16m
New Nine Inch Nails Ghosts 1-4 2CD+Bonus CD With Obi from JAPAN /29cs US $49.90 Buy It Now 1h 53m
1 CENT CD NINE INCH NAILS - PRETTY HATE MACHINE CD LIKE NEW GUARANTEED US $0.06 [2 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks Japan Music CD with Bonus Track NEW US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Sep-1991, Island (Label)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
NEW Pretty Hate Machine Nine Inch Nails US $28.85 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral CD US $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 58m
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE & NINE INCH NAILS Sydney 2014 Screenprint! #Hydro74 US $65.53 Buy It Now 3h 21m
NINE INCH NAILS - YEAR ZERO CD ~ TRENT REZNOR / NIN ~ HALO 24 ~ INDUSTRIAL *NEW* US $15.69 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral (CD New) US $6.80 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Nine Inch Nails,CD,The Day the World Went Away US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
QUEENS OF STONE AGE & NINE INCH NAILS Adelaide 2014 Screenprint! #Rhys Cooper US $93.64 Buy It Now 3h 49m
QUEENS OF STONE AGE & NINE INCH NAILS Auckland 2014 Screenprint! #Rhys Cooper US $93.64 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Nine Inch Nails - Broken [EP] (CD 1992) w rare bonus 3" cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Recovered In Nails: A Tribute To Nine Inch Nails CD US $10.82 Buy It Now 4h 34m
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE & NINE INCH NAILS Perth 2014 Screenprint! #Hydro74 US $65.53 Buy It Now 4h 44m
NINE INCH NAILS FRAGILE HANDBILL/FLYER SMALL FOLD OUT HANDBILL FOR ALBUM RELEASE US $16.79 Buy It Now 5h 17m
JANE'S ADDICTION Strays +1 FIRST JAPAN CD OBI TOCP-66209 Nine Inch Nails US $7.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks RUSSIAN Import NEW SEALED CD 2013 Russia US $14.00 [0 bids]
Covered In Nails: A Tribute To Nine Inch Nails US $6.13 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Nine Inch Nails - Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D Japan CD + DVD Sealed US $21.24 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral [CD New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 7h 29m
NINE INCH NAILS - YEAR ZERO [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.96 Buy It Now 7h 44m
NINE INCH NAILS Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Official HELP ME US $23.49 Buy It Now 7h 49m
ROCKABYE BABY! LULLABY RENDITIONS OF NINE INCH NAILS [027297982024] - NEW CD US $13.19 Buy It Now 7h 51m
NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine US TVT CD 1989 Near Mint ! Free Shipping ! US $14.75 Buy It Now 8h 35m
NINE INCH NAILS Hand That Feeds LIMITED GERMANY CD EP US $41.65 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Nine Inch Nails - Broken EP (CD 1992) NEW US $11.72 Buy It Now 9h 3m
NINE INCH NAILS - Broken:NIN:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $28.10 Buy It Now 9h 12m
NINE INCH NAILS - Sin:NIN:T-shirt NEW:LARGE ONLY US $28.10 Buy It Now 9h 16m
March of the Pigs [5 Tracks] [Maxi Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994,... US $3.79 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS BROKEN CD Single 6 TRACKS DiscMINT US $7.54 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Nine Inch Nails - Broken BRAZIL RARE LP 1992 NIN Halo Five Atlantic 8 tracks US $35.00 [2 bids]
Broken [EP] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Oct-1992, Interscope (USA)) US $1.99 Buy It Now 11h
Fixed [EP] by Nine Inch Nails  HITS  Minty CD  Digipak Case  Free Ship US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Broken by Nine Inch Nails  HITS  Minty CD  Digipak Case  Free Ship US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 13m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Clint Mansell, Nine Inch Nails: Doom (Score) So US $15.65 Buy It Now 11h 27m
NINE INCH NAILS - The Hand That Feeds (12" EP) (Still Sealed) US $34.00 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Nine Inch Nails Sin Long, Dub & Short CD Halo Four US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 14m
NINE INCH NAILS - Broken ~ VINYL LP 1 SIDED PRESSING + INSERT US $75.55 [0 bids]
NIN Nine Inch Nails Demos & Remixes CD Blue Moon Rare US $30.00 [0 bids]
Further Down The Spiral Nine Inch Nails US $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 29m
March Of The Pigs Nine Inch Nails US $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Nine Inch Nails Broken Tape Alternative OOP Rare Cassette Halo Five US $3.99 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD With Teeth [DualDisc] [PA] - Nine Inch Nails SEALED US $2.25 [4 bids]
Nine Inch Nails "March of the Pigs" Rare Promo CD ~ PRCD 5519-2 ~ Halo 7 US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h
Nine Inch Nails Rare CD Cardboard Sleeve US Promo 1-track Only Halo 20 US $31.99 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails rare Ryko RCD 10836 CD Halo 2 MINT US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Year Zero by Nine Inch Nails very rare China Import 2 CD With Teeth ~ Wood Case US $26.99 Buy It Now 16h 3m
Things Falling Apart by Nine Inch Nails (CD 2000) Sealed Argentina Rare US $6.99 Buy It Now 16h 4m
Nine Inch Nails Rare Live CD ~Shallow Grave~ Europe Import US $16.99 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Nine Inch Nails Crossed Nails Luxemburg Import Live 1994 Portland RARE MINT CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Nine Inch Nails Rare Live CD ~Woodstock 94~ Italy Import US $16.99 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Nine Inch Nails Hole In Your Head RARE Italy Import CD NIN Live US $16.99 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Nine Inch Nails Reznor Sharp RARE Italy Import CD NIN Live Woodstock Sealed US $16.99 Buy It Now 16h 5m
Nine Inch Nails - Sin CD Single US $4.00 [0 bids]
Live: And All That Could Have Been Nine Inch Nails Audio CD US $13.32 Buy It Now 16h 21m
Nine Inch Nails: Broken EP CD 1992 Interscope Nothing INTD-92213 halo Digipak US $6.95 Buy It Now 17h
Nine Inch Nails SIN/Get Down Make Love 12' LP IMPORT Brand New & On SALE! US $50.00 Buy It Now 17h
Further Down The Spiral Nine Inch Nails Audio CD US $14.66 Buy It Now 17h 9m
The Downward Spiral [Back To Black Picture Vinyl] Nine Inch Nails Vinyl US $47.47 Buy It Now 17h 36m
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE & NINE INCH NAILS Sydney 2014 Screenprint! #KenTaylor US $93.64 Buy It Now 17h 39m
Recovered in Nails: A Tribute to Nine Inch Nails Various Artis CD US $7.20 Buy It Now 17h 43m
NINE INCH NAILS - The Perfect Drug Versions - 6-Track CD *Digipak* US $7.54 Buy It Now 17h 49m
NINE INCH NAILS ...... CAPITAL G 9" ........VINYL RECORD ....... EX+ US $16.78 [0 bids]
CD Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor Pretty Hate Machine NIN 1989 TVT Records EXC US $3.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
KMFDM "Nihil" Cassette Tape RARE Wax Trax 1995 Nine Inch Nails Skinny Puppy US $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 18m
NINE INCH NAILS**BROKEN (EP)**CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 18h 28m
Nine Inch Nails Fixed EP NEW ships Fast not a promo combined shipping US $3.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS BROKEN 6 TRACK PROMO EP RARE VG+ US $20.00 [0 bids]
Pretty Hate Machine [VINYL] Nine Inch Nails Vinyl US $30.68 Buy It Now 19h 2m
Nine Inch Nails CD Lot The Fragile Sin Further Down the Spiral Head Like a Hole US $7.95 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks [VINYL] Nine Inch Nails Vinyl US $50.53 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Tomb Raider [Soundtrack] by Original Soundtrack (CD) U2-Nine Inch Nails-Moby-BT US $6.99 Buy It Now 19h 51m
SLAM BAMBOO 45 TRENT REZNOR PRE-NINE INCH NAILS NIN "WHITE LIES" RARE CLEVELAND US $25.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Survivalism 2 track card sleeve import CD single 2007 US $8.00 Buy It Now 21h 29m
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1992, TVT (Dist.)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down The Spiral (CD 1995) US $8.31 Buy It Now 22h 7m
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1992, TVT (Dist.)) US $4.05 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - Broken:NIN:T-shirt NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $28.10 Buy It Now 23h 3m
Nine Inch Nails The Fragile Rare 3-LP Special Edition Vinyl (Nothing Records, 19 US $102.50 [14 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - Pretty Hate:T-shirt NEW - XLARGE ONLY US $28.10 Buy It Now 23h 13m
Further Down the Spiral EP Nine Inch Nails CD (no back cover) US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Perfect Drug [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Nothing & Associated Labels) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Broken by Nine Inch Nails Cassette Tape 1992 NIN Ultra Rare Metal Free Shipping US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - Broken 8 Track CD Single Australian Release US $9.32 Buy It Now 1 day
QUEENS OF STONE AGE & NINE INCH NAILS Christchurch NZ 2014 Screenprint! #Hydro74 US $65.53 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS - Pretty Hate Machine ~ VINYL LP SEALED US $24.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Coil / Nine Inch Nails - Recoiled (NEW VINYL LP) US $35.25 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS~'LOST ACTION HEROES'~V.RARE CD 1995~Live with BOWIE~TRENT REZNOR US $50.36 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS - HALO THIRTEEN, THE DAY THE WORLD WENT AWAY - DIGIPAK US $8.38 Buy It Now 1 day
The Day the World Went Away [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jul-1999,... US $2.50 [0 bids]
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $3.50 [0 bids]
The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994) 1 CD.. US $4.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D - NEW CD US $9.96 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy NINE INCH NAILS music online Buy NINE INCH NAILS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NINE INCH NAILS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole ratings distribution

NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars Unless you're the type that occasionally sports a moon tan you'd best steer clear of this.

When I was still in high school in the late 60s I caught the studio bug big time. The band I was with had landed a contract with a local recording studio and we were encouraged to indulge freely in the company's facilities to see what we could come up with. Their hope was that our plucky combo would manufacture a chart-topping single that would make them rich. Unfortunately we were but a well-intentioned collection of enthusiastic neophytes harboring limited talent and we never came close to grasping even the basic concept of laying down a solid track. Yet I was enchanted by the sacred aura of the studio environ with its booms, baffles, levers, red & amber lights, fancy tape machines and such. The head engineer/producer at Studio VII was an affable guy named Ron. He couldn't help but notice my wide-eyed fascination with the whole hullabaloo so he generously took me under his wing and allowed me sit in on his sessions with the other groups. For the rest of my life I never felt more comfortable than when I was working in the studio. However, not every musician shared that attitude. In fact, few were genuinely pleased about the prospect of spending 18 hours straight cooped up indoors but for me time ceased to exist during that span. I was in my element and I had no other needs. I found it funny when one of my girlfriends who benignly imagined the process of recording to be "glamorous" would beg to go to a session and then, after sitting through 120 dull minutes of getting the necessary drum sound from the left tom-tom, would plead for me to take her home. It takes an undoubtedly obsessive yet patient countenance to willingly submit oneself to that tedious process and it's obvious that Trent Reznor aka Nine Inch Nails is infected with that affliction.

What I'm trying to say is that this EP can get redundant in a hurry unless you're like me and find this type of aural masochism invigorating. There are basically three songs but ten cuts. Trent experimented with approaching the tunes from different angles and, while I don't claim to listen to it on a regular basis, I'm always intrigued by the subtle variations he employed in his quest to achieve the ever-elusive "perfect" mix. I bought this on a whim because I liked "Head Like a Hole" but wasn't sure I wanted to spring for the whole "Pretty Hate Machine" album and because it was cheap. I will say this, though. I don't have another CD like it. It's a true oddity in my collection of prog music.

There are five separate versions of "Head Like a Hole" offered with each one bearing a subjective tag to tell them apart. The opening salvo is "Slate" and it's the closest he veers toward a demons-on-Ecstasy dance mix with a busy synth bass line that carries you through a strobe-lit, Beelzebub's Disco section. "Clay" is my favorite with its crawling, ominous undercurrent and the eerie whoops at the end. "Copper" possesses a more intricate rhythmic beginning, an alternate bass line, a strong breakdown during the chorus and an abrupt changeover to a weird shuffle beat in the finale. "Soil" has a more techno slant to it and is very sparse musically, almost to the point of being austere as Reznor opts to let his voice be the sole source of music for the majority of the time. What all four of these have in common is an angry, defiant lyrical content. He sings of the siren-like but corrupting lure of the whistling false deity known as God Money and his determination not to prostrate himself before it. I sense that he's screaming at the greedy, gluttonous record company execs when he vows that he'd "rather die than give you control" while spitting on their handfuls of cash. "You Know Who You Are" is mostly instrumental and sounds like a whimsical outtake spawned from the other HLAH mixes. It conjures an image in my head of a wild, tribal gathering 'round a blazing bonfire attended by thousands of renegade microchips.

There are two takes of "Terrible Lie," one dubbed "Sympathetic" and the other "Empathetic." The former employs strange noises as unique percussion instruments, stirring dynamics and a cold ending in which Trent intones a defeated "there's nothing left and then you die." The latter isn't a whole lot different except he lets dense synthesizers emerge from the horizon like dark thunderheads during the middle section. The blatant prevarication that Reznor efficiently rails against in this tune is the deception foisted upon mankind by the author of confusion that the world and its steady stream of material things and pseudo-intellectualism can satisfy one's soul completely. Ain't so, Joe.

Next NIN tosses in three distinct versions of "Down In It." This song has as its foundation a loping groove that cruises beneath Trent's gothic, pasty white boy hip-hop delivery of the rhyming verses. But it's the haunting, echoed chant of what brings to mind a sample of collective madness culled from a tyrant-led military rally that distinguishes this composition. It's extremely cool how Reznor manipulates that powerful effect throughout the choruses. As he did earlier, he assigns a different moniker to each mix. "Shred" features his anguished, tortured voice streaming atop the cruel ridicule of a schoolyard taunt as he shouts "I used to be somebody!" "Singe" is more along the lines of "You Know Who You Are" in that the normal structure is dropped in lieu of developing what can be called a wordless, mechanical mantra. "Demo" is a stripped-down reading of the lyrics to pounding drums and electric impulses. The coda is a four-second snippet of some clueless, air-headed female MTV host (or equivalent thereof) who gleefully chirps "let's hear it for Nine Inch Nails! They were good! Wooo!" It's so absurd as to be hilarious.

Only those who find attractive a pale, ashen hue gained from spending too many days in a row sequestered inside a windowless bunker filled only with devices intended to make and document music (and an unlimited number of noises) would deem this entertaining. Folks like yours truly, to be exact. It's an example of how music as artistic expression has no ultimate shape, form or restricting limitation. It can be added to and subtracted from endlessly. With this EP Nine Inch Nails demonstrates that amazing fact beyond dispute. 3.3 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#279848) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars One thing that's interesting about this "single" is that it's about six minutes longer than the album it came from. Although it is labelled as a "maxi-single", it really isn't a single in the traditional sense. It is a disk of remixes of five of the tracks from Pretty Hate Machine.

Now I'm not a big fan of remixes in general (I once had a nightmarish experience - literally - of having a very bad flu about 20 years ago, and was so sick that I could barely get out of bed - I fell asleep with the radio set to a local college station - I kept waking up to a show where the DJ was freemixing The Romantics' Talking In Your Sleep, badly), and this is no exception. Not one of the remixes is as good as the original versions of the songs.

The only real reason to own this disk is the bare bones demo of Down In It.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#296089) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Post a review of NINE INCH NAILS "Head Like a Hole"