HEAD LIKE A HOLE

Nine Inch Nails Head Like a Hole album cover

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1990

US version

1. Head Like a Hole (Slate) (4:13)
2. Head Like a Hole (Clay) (4:30)
3. Terrible Lie (Sympathetic Mix) (4:26)
4. Head Like a Hole (Copper) (6:26)
5. You Know Who You Are (5:40)
6. Head Like a Hole (Soil) (6:38)
7. Terrible Lie (Empathetic Mix) (6:11)
8. Down in It (Shred) (6:51)
9. Down in It (Singe) (7:21)
10. Down in It (Demo) (3:55)
11. Unlisted Track (0:04)

UK version

1. Head Like a Hole (Clay) (4:30)
2. Head Like a Hole (Copper) (6:26)
3. Head Like a Hole (Opal) (5:18)

Search NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole lyrics

Search NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole tabs

- Trent Reznor - vocals, arranger, programming, producer, engineer, digital editing, mixing

Released in the US by TVT Records on 12" Vinyl and CD.
Released in the UK by Island Records on 12" Vinyl and CD.

Thanks to AgentSpork for the addition

NINE INCH NAILS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole Music

Pretty Hate Machine: 2010 RemasterPretty Hate Machine: 2010 Remaster
Extra tracks · Remastered
Bicycle Music Company 2010
Downward SpiralDownward Spiral
Nothing/TVT/Interscope Records 1994
The FragileThe Fragile
Nothing 1999
Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Nothing 2002
Further Down The SpiralFurther Down The Spiral
EP · Extra tracks · Import
Island UK 1995
SILICON SOUL Betrayed 1994 RARE OHIO INDIE INDUSTRIAL nine inch nails cleveland US $12.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine CD US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole 10trk USA MAXI-SINGLE US $12.99 [0 bids]
Still CD + StarF*cker XL T-Shirt Lot Nine Inch Nails Rare New! US $18.00 [0 bids]
Still CD + XL 2013 Festival Tour T-Shirt Lot Nine Inch Nails Rare New! US $35.00 [0 bids]
PLAN E - 2 CD Lot Joy Division Nine Inch Nails Radiohead US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
NINE INCH NAILS THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL CD 060513 US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 45m
NINE INCH NAILS 8 CD - BROKEN + THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL+ EVERY DAY +SINGLES US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
The Perfect Drug [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Nothing & Associated Labels) US $3.49 [0 bids]
March of the Pigs [5 Tracks] [Maxi Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994,... US $4.75 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS * BROKEN * ORIGINAL 1992 CD IN EXCELLENT CONDITION US $9.86 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Nine Inch Nails "Sold Gold Hell" CD ITALY NIN Live US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Nine Inch Nails "Familiar Sting" CD NIN Live US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Nine Inch Nails : FIXED CD (1992) US $3.48 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Nine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks 2lp new vinyl + cd+ 12 art cards US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Burn Like Brilliant Trash (Re-Produced by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails) REMI US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 6m
NINE INCH NAILS - HESITATION MARKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $43.63 Buy It Now 6h 21m
NINE INCH NAILS/ BROKEN US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 3m
Nine Inch Nails / Hesitation Marks CD NEW SEALED US $20.99 Buy It Now 8h 33m
NOCTURNAL-2 CD Best Of Industrial Goth Rock/New Wave (Bauhaus/Nine Inch Nails) US $11.84 Buy It Now 8h 47m
NINE INCH NAILS Ghosts I-IV 4LP THE NULL CORPORATION NEW SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 9h
Nine Inch Nails - Closer (1997) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Nine Inch Nails And All That Could Have Been 2 CD Trent Reznor 2002 US $4.99 [1 bids]
Nine Inch Nails With Teeth Cd Digipak PA 2005 Industrial Rock NIN Trent Raznor US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h
* NINE INCH NAILS - Further Down The Spiral [EP] US $3.50 Buy It Now 11h 50m
NINE INCH NAILS_Closer To God_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $9.39 Buy It Now 11h 51m
Nine Inch Nails Year Zero CD Interscope Recs US $8.46 Buy It Now 11h 54m
Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine Cassette Nice! Free Shipping US $9.90 Buy It Now 12h 5m
The Day the World Went Away, Nine Inch Nails, New Single US $7.97 Buy It Now 12h 19m
NINE INCH NAILS - Downward Spiral CD ( 1994, 1 Disc w/ booklet, BMG US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
TRENT REZNOR (Nine Inch Nails) - 2007 Magazine Poster US $7.63 Buy It Now 13h 38m
NINE INCH NAILS - Live: Beside You In Time - 2007 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.63 Buy It Now 14h 3m
NINE INCH NAILS - Year Zero - 2007 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.63 Buy It Now 14h 4m
SLAM BAMBOO 45 TRENT REZNOR PRE-NINE INCH NAILS NIN "WHITE LIES" RARE CLEVELAND US $25.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS PRETTY HATE MACHINE SEALED CD NEW US $3.84 Buy It Now 14h 17m
NINE INCH NAILS -HOLE IN YOUR HEAD----1994 CONCERT IMPORT CD!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 26m
NINE INCH NAILS - ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN STILL CD RARE OOP USA DIGIPACK 2002 US $19.50 Buy It Now 14h 36m
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks (LP Vinyl 2 disc) NEW US $47.00 Buy It Now 14h 39m
Nine Inch Nails - Live And All That Coul NEW CD US $7.61 Buy It Now 15h 38m
THE LOVE INTEREST BEDAZZLED CASSETTE TAPE MINISTRY NINE INCH NAILS KILLING JOKE US $16.93 Buy It Now 15h 40m
Further Down the Spiral [EP] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jun-1995, Interscope (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS sin 12" SINGLE autographed NO COA chris vrenna SIGNED US $19.99 [0 bids]
Downward Spirial - Nine Inch Nails - 1994 - TVT/Interscope - CD - Disc Only US $3.75 Buy It Now 16h 42m
NINE INCH NAILS (NIN) "head like a hole" 1990 Canadian press CD ep * like new US $10.00 Buy It Now 17h 10m
Nine Inch Nails : The Downward Spiral CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 17h 20m
The Downward Spiral [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994) first print US $5.00 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails US $8.93 Buy It Now 17h 30m
NINE INCH NAILS "HESITATION MARKS" JAPAN CD +1 BONUS TRACK *SEALED* US $35.99 Buy It Now 17h 39m
Fixed [EP] [PA] by NINE INCH NAILS US $7.99 Buy It Now 17h 59m
NINE INCH NAILS - Hesitation Marks (JAPANESE PROMO CD + OBI - UNPLAYED!!) US $11.01 [4 bids]
CD NINE INCH NAILS CLOSER TO GOD 213 US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 5m
And All That Could Have Been by Nine Inch Nails RARE Live MINT Promo 5-Track CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 18h 23m
NINE INCH NAILS remix album Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D Joy Division JAPAN CD + DVD SEALED US $11.99 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails rare CD US Promo Halo 28 SEALED/NEW US $21.99 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Nine Inch Nails The Slip 180gram Vinyl LP US $42.35 Buy It Now 19h 46m
Lost Highway Soundtrack (1996) Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie US $5.00 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth NEW CD US $9.85 Buy It Now 20h 35m
Nine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks [Digipak] CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1992, TVT (Dist.)) VERY RARE. Long OOP. US $60.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails, INXS - 5 CD Set: Pretty Hate Machine, X, Kick, Broken, Downward US $8.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS 2014 UK Tour SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Hesitation 08 US $5.91 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS 2014 UK Tour SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Hesitation 08 US $8.46 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS 2014 UK Tour SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Hesitation 08 US $25.40 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks 2014 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 009 US $5.91 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks 2014 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 009 US $8.46 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks 2014 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 009 US $25.40 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks 2014 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 010 US $5.91 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks 2014 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 010 US $8.46 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS Hesitation Marks 2014 SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER 010 US $25.40 Buy It Now 21h 11m
NINE INCH NAILS INTO THE VOID / WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER RARE AUSTRALIA ONLY CD US $59.22 Buy It Now 21h 26m
NINE INCH NAILS Survivalism 4TRX MIX & VIDEO CD single SEALED Instrumental US $19.99 Buy It Now 21h 43m
Nine Inch Nails march of the pigs CD ep US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 55m
Lollapalooza Promo CD Jane's Addiction, Body Count, Nine Inch Nails, Rollins US $9.99 [0 bids]
Broken by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-1992, TVT (Dist.)) US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 35m
And All That Could Have Been [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-2002, Nothing... US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 36m
March of the Pigs [5 Tracks] [Maxi Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Feb-1994,... US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 37m
Further Down the Spiral [US] [EP] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jun-1995,... US $7.99 Buy It Now 22h 39m
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 22h 42m
NEW SEALED LOW POP SUICIDE DISENGAGEMET NINE INCH NAILS CASSETTE TAPE US $6.99 Buy It Now 22h 59m
Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral 1996 Interscope Records CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 23h 6m
Nine Inch Nails Broken 1992 EP TVT records industrial electronic Trent Reznor US $2.00 [0 bids]
MARILYN MANSON [RARE] LIVE IMPORT CD ON PRIMADONNA (SILVER) 1996 nine inch nails US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Day the World Went Away [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD,1999,Interscope) NEW US $2.99 [0 bids]
CD Nine Inch Nails "Fixed" PA 6-song EP IMPORT US $0.99 [1 bids]
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 1989, TVT (Dist.)) US $1.27 [0 bids]
The Downward Spiral [Dual Disc] by Nine Inch Nails (CD/DVD) Rare Near MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails Rare Live CD ~Mud Pigs~ German Import MINT Woodstock US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Broken by Nine Inch Nails Ultra-RARE CD Longbox SEALED Halo 5 US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails Rare CD Cardboard Sleeve US Promo 1-track Only Halo 20 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Rare OOP Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine NIN 1st Press 1989 TVT Records US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails Rare Live CD ~Woodstock 1994~ German Import MINT SH69026 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW - Closer by Nine Inch Nails US $7.72 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS PRETTY HATE MACHINE VINYL LP SEALED NEW TRENT REZNOR US $7.49 [10 bids]
Only by Nine Inch Nails RARE MINT CD 4 track with video EU Import Halo 20 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Only by Nine Inch Nails RARE MINT DVD 3 track EU Import Halo 20 US $41.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Year Zero Remixed by Nine Inch Nails Rare CD Russia Ukraine Halo 25 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
And All That Could Have Been by Nine Inch Nails RARE Live MINT Promo 5-Track CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails : Fixed (1992) CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS *YEAR ZERO* 2007 CD ALBUM CD LIKE NEW US $11.73 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy NINE INCH NAILS music online Buy NINE INCH NAILS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NINE INCH NAILS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole ratings distribution

NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars Unless you're the type that occasionally sports a moon tan you'd best steer clear of this.

When I was still in high school in the late 60s I caught the studio bug big time. The band I was with had landed a contract with a local recording studio and we were encouraged to indulge freely in the company's facilities to see what we could come up with. Their hope was that our plucky combo would manufacture a chart-topping single that would make them rich. Unfortunately we were but a well-intentioned collection of enthusiastic neophytes harboring limited talent and we never came close to grasping even the basic concept of laying down a solid track. Yet I was enchanted by the sacred aura of the studio environ with its booms, baffles, levers, red & amber lights, fancy tape machines and such. The head engineer/producer at Studio VII was an affable guy named Ron. He couldn't help but notice my wide-eyed fascination with the whole hullabaloo so he generously took me under his wing and allowed me sit in on his sessions with the other groups. For the rest of my life I never felt more comfortable than when I was working in the studio. However, not every musician shared that attitude. In fact, few were genuinely pleased about the prospect of spending 18 hours straight cooped up indoors but for me time ceased to exist during that span. I was in my element and I had no other needs. I found it funny when one of my girlfriends who benignly imagined the process of recording to be "glamorous" would beg to go to a session and then, after sitting through 120 dull minutes of getting the necessary drum sound from the left tom-tom, would plead for me to take her home. It takes an undoubtedly obsessive yet patient countenance to willingly submit oneself to that tedious process and it's obvious that Trent Reznor aka Nine Inch Nails is infected with that affliction.

What I'm trying to say is that this EP can get redundant in a hurry unless you're like me and find this type of aural masochism invigorating. There are basically three songs but ten cuts. Trent experimented with approaching the tunes from different angles and, while I don't claim to listen to it on a regular basis, I'm always intrigued by the subtle variations he employed in his quest to achieve the ever-elusive "perfect" mix. I bought this on a whim because I liked "Head Like a Hole" but wasn't sure I wanted to spring for the whole "Pretty Hate Machine" album and because it was cheap. I will say this, though. I don't have another CD like it. It's a true oddity in my collection of prog music.

There are five separate versions of "Head Like a Hole" offered with each one bearing a subjective tag to tell them apart. The opening salvo is "Slate" and it's the closest he veers toward a demons-on-Ecstasy dance mix with a busy synth bass line that carries you through a strobe-lit, Beelzebub's Disco section. "Clay" is my favorite with its crawling, ominous undercurrent and the eerie whoops at the end. "Copper" possesses a more intricate rhythmic beginning, an alternate bass line, a strong breakdown during the chorus and an abrupt changeover to a weird shuffle beat in the finale. "Soil" has a more techno slant to it and is very sparse musically, almost to the point of being austere as Reznor opts to let his voice be the sole source of music for the majority of the time. What all four of these have in common is an angry, defiant lyrical content. He sings of the siren-like but corrupting lure of the whistling false deity known as God Money and his determination not to prostrate himself before it. I sense that he's screaming at the greedy, gluttonous record company execs when he vows that he'd "rather die than give you control" while spitting on their handfuls of cash. "You Know Who You Are" is mostly instrumental and sounds like a whimsical outtake spawned from the other HLAH mixes. It conjures an image in my head of a wild, tribal gathering 'round a blazing bonfire attended by thousands of renegade microchips.

There are two takes of "Terrible Lie," one dubbed "Sympathetic" and the other "Empathetic." The former employs strange noises as unique percussion instruments, stirring dynamics and a cold ending in which Trent intones a defeated "there's nothing left and then you die." The latter isn't a whole lot different except he lets dense synthesizers emerge from the horizon like dark thunderheads during the middle section. The blatant prevarication that Reznor efficiently rails against in this tune is the deception foisted upon mankind by the author of confusion that the world and its steady stream of material things and pseudo-intellectualism can satisfy one's soul completely. Ain't so, Joe.

Next NIN tosses in three distinct versions of "Down In It." This song has as its foundation a loping groove that cruises beneath Trent's gothic, pasty white boy hip-hop delivery of the rhyming verses. But it's the haunting, echoed chant of what brings to mind a sample of collective madness culled from a tyrant-led military rally that distinguishes this composition. It's extremely cool how Reznor manipulates that powerful effect throughout the choruses. As he did earlier, he assigns a different moniker to each mix. "Shred" features his anguished, tortured voice streaming atop the cruel ridicule of a schoolyard taunt as he shouts "I used to be somebody!" "Singe" is more along the lines of "You Know Who You Are" in that the normal structure is dropped in lieu of developing what can be called a wordless, mechanical mantra. "Demo" is a stripped-down reading of the lyrics to pounding drums and electric impulses. The coda is a four-second snippet of some clueless, air-headed female MTV host (or equivalent thereof) who gleefully chirps "let's hear it for Nine Inch Nails! They were good! Wooo!" It's so absurd as to be hilarious.

Only those who find attractive a pale, ashen hue gained from spending too many days in a row sequestered inside a windowless bunker filled only with devices intended to make and document music (and an unlimited number of noises) would deem this entertaining. Folks like yours truly, to be exact. It's an example of how music as artistic expression has no ultimate shape, form or restricting limitation. It can be added to and subtracted from endlessly. With this EP Nine Inch Nails demonstrates that amazing fact beyond dispute. 3.3 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#279848) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars One thing that's interesting about this "single" is that it's about six minutes longer than the album it came from. Although it is labelled as a "maxi-single", it really isn't a single in the traditional sense. It is a disk of remixes of five of the tracks from Pretty Hate Machine.

Now I'm not a big fan of remixes in general (I once had a nightmarish experience - literally - of having a very bad flu about 20 years ago, and was so sick that I could barely get out of bed - I fell asleep with the radio set to a local college station - I kept waking up to a show where the DJ was freemixing The Romantics' Talking In Your Sleep, badly), and this is no exception. Not one of the remixes is as good as the original versions of the songs.

The only real reason to own this disk is the bare bones demo of Down In It.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#296089) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Post a review of NINE INCH NAILS "Head Like a Hole"