HEAD LIKE A HOLE

Nine Inch Nails Head Like a Hole album cover

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1990

US version

1. Head Like a Hole (Slate) (4:13)
2. Head Like a Hole (Clay) (4:30)
3. Terrible Lie (Sympathetic Mix) (4:26)
4. Head Like a Hole (Copper) (6:26)
5. You Know Who You Are (5:40)
6. Head Like a Hole (Soil) (6:38)
7. Terrible Lie (Empathetic Mix) (6:11)
8. Down in It (Shred) (6:51)
9. Down in It (Singe) (7:21)
10. Down in It (Demo) (3:55)
11. Unlisted Track (0:04)

UK version

1. Head Like a Hole (Clay) (4:30)
2. Head Like a Hole (Copper) (6:26)
3. Head Like a Hole (Opal) (5:18)

Search NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole lyrics

Search NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole tabs

- Trent Reznor - vocals, arranger, programming, producer, engineer, digital editing, mixing

Released in the US by TVT Records on 12" Vinyl and CD.
Released in the UK by Island Records on 12" Vinyl and CD.

Thanks to AgentSpork for the addition

NINE INCH NAILS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole Music

Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Columbia 2013
Year ZeroYear Zero
Nothing Records 2007
And All That Could Have BeenAnd All That Could Have Been
Nothing 2002
CD: 1994 Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral Slipcase 1 Disc (Not 2) PA US $3.99 [0 bids]
42m 6s
NINE INCH NAILS - Survivalism MCD Digi Sealed NIN Ministry Rob Zombie US $7.90 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - With Teeth - 2005 Indonesia tape NEW NIN US $16.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - Broken - 1992 Indonesia tape RARE nin US $16.99 [0 bids]
David Lynch Lost Highway Japan Film Program Book 1997 Nine Inch Nails US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
NINE INCH NAILS The Perfect Drug 5 Song CD Interscope 50072 THE ORB US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Nine Inch Nails NIN Live CD March of the Devil Sealed/New KMFDM Pigface Ministry US $24.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS hesitation marks 2xLP+CD SEALED gatefold 180G columbia NEW US $28.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Nine Inch Nails NIN Live CD Hole in Your Head Sealed/New KMFDM Pigface Ministry US $24.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down The Spiral NEW CD US $7.46 Buy It Now 4h 17m
2x CD NINE INCH NAILS Down In It + We're In This Together TRENT REZNOR TACKHEAD US $44.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
With Teeth [DualDisc] [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, May-2005) US $6.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks on 180 gram vinyl 2LP -BRAND NEW -CD included US $10.00 [1 bids]
Nine Inch Nails/Coil - Recoiled [ LP, Cold Spring Records, IMPORT, NEW ] NIN US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Nine Inch Nails "March of the Pigs" special numbered limited edition 9" record US $35.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails: Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D 2 Disk Digipack - CD & DVD Set - # B0010331-60 US $8.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS Pretty Hate Machine LIMITED EDITION VINYL LP US $33.22 Buy It Now 6h 12m
NINE INCH NAILS [ THINGS FALLING APART ] ORG CASSETTE THAI EDITION SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Rockabye Baby - Lullaby Renditions of Nine Inch Nails CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Rockabye Baby - Lullaby Renditions of Nine Inch Nails CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
And All That Could Have Been [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-2002, Nothing... US $4.49 Buy It Now 6h 33m
NINE INCH NAILS - The Fragile - 2xCD Album *Digipak**2 CDs* US $7.46 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Nine Inch Nails "Happiness In Slavery" 12" NM OOP Marilyn Manson NIN US $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks JAPAN DJ PROM0 CD OBI SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
Hesitation Marks [Digipak] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, 2013, HALO (Label)) US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Year Zero [Digipak] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Apr-2007, Interscope (USA)) US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
NINE INCH NAILS - BROKEN [EP] US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE NINE INCH NAILS PERTH 2014 POSTER not cd vinyl shirt US $37.25 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Broken [EP] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Oct-1992, Interscope (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Crow Movie Soundtrack CD - (The Cure, Jesus Mary Chain, Nine Inch Nails) US $2.79 Buy It Now 8h 25m
The Crow Motion Picture Soundtrack CD Grunge Music Nine Inch Nails STP US $1.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (Double LP, Promo Copy) US $31.50 [0 bids]
Sin [Single] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Apr-1991, TVT (Dist.)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Downward Spiral [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Mar-1994, 2 Discs,... US $1.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS - THE HAND THAT FEEDS - SINGLE ADVANCE-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Things Falling Apart [PA] CD Nine Inch Nails NIN VG Industrial Alternative RARE US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h
NINE INCH NAILS Ghosts I-IV 4xLP NEW SEALED INSTRUMENTAL TRENT REZNOR US $66.99 Buy It Now 10h 11m
SLAM BAMBOO 45 TRENT REZNOR PRE-NINE INCH NAILS NIN "WHITE LIES" RARE CLEVELAND US $25.00 [0 bids]
Rare Lot of 2 MOTP AU Cardsleeve + Germany Slimline CDs Nine Inch Nails MARCH! US $60.00 [0 bids]
Rare Promo France 'Collector' Cardsleeve Nine Inch Nails MARCH! +FREE Still CD! US $99.00 [0 bids]
Rare Promo France Closer To God Cardsleeve Nine Inch Nails +FREE Still CD! US $99.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Down In It - Halo One CD (Missing Barcode) RARE 3trk single US $10.00 [0 bids]
Lot of 3 Nine Inch Nails NIN singles: Head Like a Hole, SIN, The Day the World- US $10.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS sin rare orig CD EP NIN ministry skinny puppy nirvana hole lp no US $0.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS rare orig HALO THIRTEEN CD day the world went away NIN TRENT LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Broken (1992 CD in Digipak) Trent Reznor, NIN, Pigface US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h 22m
1994 Prong Cleansing Cassette NYC Metal Industrial Korn Nine Inch Nails US $3.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS "The Downward Spiral" (CD, 1994 Nothing/TVT/Interscope) US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Nine Inch Nails NIN Live CD Familiar Sting Sealed/New KMFDM Pigface Ministry Pig US $24.99 [0 bids]
13h
NATURAL BORN KILLERS ost TAPE NINE INCH NAILS TRENT REZNOR PATTI SMITH L7 can pr US $9.99 [0 bids]
And All That Could Have Been [PA] by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Jan-2002, Nothing (USA US $0.25 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine - Orig 1989 USA CD - EARLY PRESSING - MINT US $49.99 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - Orig 2004 USA DualDisc - CD/DVD-Audio US $59.99 Buy It Now 13h 32m
SILVERCHAIR Frogstomp 2 LP BLUE VINYL /1500 nine inch nails soundgarden bush US $41.00 [16 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Rare CD Cardboard Sleeve US Promo 1-track Only Halo 20 US $29.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Nine Inch Nails Rare Live CD ~Mud Pigs~ German Import MINT Woodstock US $13.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Broken by Nine Inch Nails Ultra-RARE CD Longbox SEALED Halo 5 US $59.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Nine Inch Nails Rare Live CD ~Woodstock 1994~ German Import MINT SH69026 US $21.99 Buy It Now 13h 52m
The Downward Spiral [Dual Disc] by Nine Inch Nails (CD/DVD) Rare Near MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 52m
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip - USA LTD. ED. CD+DVD WITH SET OF STICKERS - LIKE NEW US $49.99 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - Deluxe Edition - Hybrid 2xCD / SACD MINT US $79.99 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Still CD + StarF*cker XL T-Shirt Lot Nine Inch Nails Rare New! US $18.00 [1 bids]
Still CD + XL 2013 Festival Tour T-Shirt Lot Nine Inch Nails Rare New! US $35.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral 2xLP 180-Gram Audiophile Vinyl Gatefold Sleeve US $30.99 Buy It Now 15h 45m
Marilyn Manson - Uncut ~ Extremely Rare - Nine Inch Nails ~ NIN - White Zombie.* US $49.00 Buy It Now 16h
LOT - 10 Nine Inch Nails Albums on CD - 10 Album/13-Disc Bundle/Set - NIN US $87.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS Hand that Feeds w/RARE MIXES CD single SEALED USA seller 2005 US $24.99 Buy It Now 16h 56m
New NINE INCH NAILS SOUND GARDEN TOUR 2014 N001 Black T Shirt Size S M L XL 2XL US $20.88 Buy It Now 17h 20m
New NINE INCH NAILS SOUND GARDEN TOUR 2014 N001 Black T Shirt Size S M L XL 2XL US $21.88 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Nine Inch Nails - Fixed / Disturbed - 1992/ 2004 CD Lot / Industrial Rock AOR US $4.49 Buy It Now 17h 27m
Nine Inch Nails, Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition w/bonus remix disc 2CD set) US $15.99 Buy It Now 17h 39m
NINE INCH NAILS sealed 2 LP Things Falling Apart from THE FRAGILE sessions US $10.50 [2 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS sealed 2LP With Teeth LIMITED EDITION w/ non-CD track HOME NIN US $74.00 [9 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral CD UMC US $16.90 Buy It Now 19h 32m
Nine Inch Nails Year Zero Promo US CD SEALED new All Stickers included US $34.99 Buy It Now 19h 54m
NINE INCH NAILS - EVERY DAY IS EXACTLY THE SAME [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $27.74 Buy It Now 21h 35m
COIL / NINE INCH NAILS Recoiled CD Industrial Se7en US $20.36 Buy It Now 21h 36m
Nine Inch Nails -tribute - Recovered In Nails (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 23h
Nine Inch Nails - Broken BRAZIL RARE LP 1992 NIN Halo Five Atlantic 8 tracks +++ US $39.99 [0 bids]
With Teeth by Nine Inch Nails (CD, May-2005, Universal) Cardboard case US $7.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS-HESITATION MARKS-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F37 US $28.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS SOUNDGARDEN Live Tour Date 2014 NIN6 Tee T - Shirt S M L XL Size US $12.99 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS SOUNDGARDEN Live Tour Date 2014 NIN3 Tee T - Shirt S M L XL Size US $12.99 [1 bids]
The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails Cd Only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! US $1.00 [0 bids]
Nine Inch Nails - Feel The Pain Rare Factory Pressed CD US $24.17 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS Year Zero Japan CD New Sealed NIN US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - Broken (cassette) US $6.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Philippines NINE INCH NAILS - Lot Sale CASSETTES Rare INDUSTRIAL Ambient SCARCE! US $74.44 Buy It Now 1 day
30 CD WHOLESALE LOT, NINE INCH NAILS DAY THE WORLD WEN, 30 UNITS ALL OF THE SAME US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - Further Down the Spiral CD 1995 INTDM95811 US $3.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks 180g Vinyl 2LP Record + CD NEW 2013 US $23.32 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS - PRETTY HATE MACHINE [NINE INCH NAILS] [602527746999] - NEW CD US $7.92 Buy It Now 1 day
SILICON SOUL Betrayed 1994 RARE OHIO INDIE INDUSTRIAL nine inch nails cleveland US $12.99 [0 bids]
OPIATE FOR THE MASSES spore +2 JAPAN CD Nine Inch Nails US $14.44 Buy It Now 1 day
NINE INCH NAILS March Of The Pigs 5 Trk Maxi CD 1994 TVT 95938 US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TREPONEM PAL Weird Machine DIGIPAK NINE INCH NAILS US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails : The Fragile (2CDs) (2001) US $3.00 [0 bids]
NINE INCH NAILS WITH TEETH (PA) 05 INTERSCOPE LNew CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Nine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks Deluxe Edition 2013 Taiwan w/obi CD+digipak New US $24.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails (CD, Dec-2008, Interscope (USA)) US $8.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy NINE INCH NAILS music online Buy NINE INCH NAILS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NINE INCH NAILS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole ratings distribution

NINE INCH NAILS Head Like a Hole reviews

Review by Chicapah
3 stars Unless you're the type that occasionally sports a moon tan you'd best steer clear of this.

When I was still in high school in the late 60s I caught the studio bug big time. The band I was with had landed a contract with a local recording studio and we were encouraged to indulge freely in the company's facilities to see what we could come up with. Their hope was that our plucky combo would manufacture a chart-topping single that would make them rich. Unfortunately we were but a well-intentioned collection of enthusiastic neophytes harboring limited talent and we never came close to grasping even the basic concept of laying down a solid track. Yet I was enchanted by the sacred aura of the studio environ with its booms, baffles, levers, red & amber lights, fancy tape machines and such. The head engineer/producer at Studio VII was an affable guy named Ron. He couldn't help but notice my wide-eyed fascination with the whole hullabaloo so he generously took me under his wing and allowed me sit in on his sessions with the other groups. For the rest of my life I never felt more comfortable than when I was working in the studio. However, not every musician shared that attitude. In fact, few were genuinely pleased about the prospect of spending 18 hours straight cooped up indoors but for me time ceased to exist during that span. I was in my element and I had no other needs. I found it funny when one of my girlfriends who benignly imagined the process of recording to be "glamorous" would beg to go to a session and then, after sitting through 120 dull minutes of getting the necessary drum sound from the left tom-tom, would plead for me to take her home. It takes an undoubtedly obsessive yet patient countenance to willingly submit oneself to that tedious process and it's obvious that Trent Reznor aka Nine Inch Nails is infected with that affliction.

What I'm trying to say is that this EP can get redundant in a hurry unless you're like me and find this type of aural masochism invigorating. There are basically three songs but ten cuts. Trent experimented with approaching the tunes from different angles and, while I don't claim to listen to it on a regular basis, I'm always intrigued by the subtle variations he employed in his quest to achieve the ever-elusive "perfect" mix. I bought this on a whim because I liked "Head Like a Hole" but wasn't sure I wanted to spring for the whole "Pretty Hate Machine" album and because it was cheap. I will say this, though. I don't have another CD like it. It's a true oddity in my collection of prog music.

There are five separate versions of "Head Like a Hole" offered with each one bearing a subjective tag to tell them apart. The opening salvo is "Slate" and it's the closest he veers toward a demons-on-Ecstasy dance mix with a busy synth bass line that carries you through a strobe-lit, Beelzebub's Disco section. "Clay" is my favorite with its crawling, ominous undercurrent and the eerie whoops at the end. "Copper" possesses a more intricate rhythmic beginning, an alternate bass line, a strong breakdown during the chorus and an abrupt changeover to a weird shuffle beat in the finale. "Soil" has a more techno slant to it and is very sparse musically, almost to the point of being austere as Reznor opts to let his voice be the sole source of music for the majority of the time. What all four of these have in common is an angry, defiant lyrical content. He sings of the siren-like but corrupting lure of the whistling false deity known as God Money and his determination not to prostrate himself before it. I sense that he's screaming at the greedy, gluttonous record company execs when he vows that he'd "rather die than give you control" while spitting on their handfuls of cash. "You Know Who You Are" is mostly instrumental and sounds like a whimsical outtake spawned from the other HLAH mixes. It conjures an image in my head of a wild, tribal gathering 'round a blazing bonfire attended by thousands of renegade microchips.

There are two takes of "Terrible Lie," one dubbed "Sympathetic" and the other "Empathetic." The former employs strange noises as unique percussion instruments, stirring dynamics and a cold ending in which Trent intones a defeated "there's nothing left and then you die." The latter isn't a whole lot different except he lets dense synthesizers emerge from the horizon like dark thunderheads during the middle section. The blatant prevarication that Reznor efficiently rails against in this tune is the deception foisted upon mankind by the author of confusion that the world and its steady stream of material things and pseudo-intellectualism can satisfy one's soul completely. Ain't so, Joe.

Next NIN tosses in three distinct versions of "Down In It." This song has as its foundation a loping groove that cruises beneath Trent's gothic, pasty white boy hip-hop delivery of the rhyming verses. But it's the haunting, echoed chant of what brings to mind a sample of collective madness culled from a tyrant-led military rally that distinguishes this composition. It's extremely cool how Reznor manipulates that powerful effect throughout the choruses. As he did earlier, he assigns a different moniker to each mix. "Shred" features his anguished, tortured voice streaming atop the cruel ridicule of a schoolyard taunt as he shouts "I used to be somebody!" "Singe" is more along the lines of "You Know Who You Are" in that the normal structure is dropped in lieu of developing what can be called a wordless, mechanical mantra. "Demo" is a stripped-down reading of the lyrics to pounding drums and electric impulses. The coda is a four-second snippet of some clueless, air-headed female MTV host (or equivalent thereof) who gleefully chirps "let's hear it for Nine Inch Nails! They were good! Wooo!" It's so absurd as to be hilarious.

Only those who find attractive a pale, ashen hue gained from spending too many days in a row sequestered inside a windowless bunker filled only with devices intended to make and document music (and an unlimited number of noises) would deem this entertaining. Folks like yours truly, to be exact. It's an example of how music as artistic expression has no ultimate shape, form or restricting limitation. It can be added to and subtracted from endlessly. With this EP Nine Inch Nails demonstrates that amazing fact beyond dispute. 3.3 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#279848) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars One thing that's interesting about this "single" is that it's about six minutes longer than the album it came from. Although it is labelled as a "maxi-single", it really isn't a single in the traditional sense. It is a disk of remixes of five of the tracks from Pretty Hate Machine.

Now I'm not a big fan of remixes in general (I once had a nightmarish experience - literally - of having a very bad flu about 20 years ago, and was so sick that I could barely get out of bed - I fell asleep with the radio set to a local college station - I kept waking up to a show where the DJ was freemixing The Romantics' Talking In Your Sleep, badly), and this is no exception. Not one of the remixes is as good as the original versions of the songs.

The only real reason to own this disk is the bare bones demo of Down In It.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#296089) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Post a review of NINE INCH NAILS "Head Like a Hole"