THE GIGSAW

Sub Rosa

Sub Rosa The Gigsaw album cover

Buy SUB ROSA Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Symptoms of Life (10:37)
2. Igneous Vortex Dancer (1:40)
3. Enslavement of Beauty (5:58)
4. Equinox (6:03)
5. Amok (5:23)
6. Your Eyes (1:44)
7. The Order (4:38)
8. Zeitgeist (4:32)
9. Widow's Daughter (4:23)
10. The Mirror (5:23)
11. The Last Ride, part 1 (4:33)
12. The Last Ride, part 2 (1:57)
13. Fatality Show (4:22)
14. Symptoms of Life (1:02)

- Reinaldo Penido / Bass, double bass, keyboards, electric & acoustic guitars, vocals
- Alvaro Duarte / keyboards and synthesizers

- Valner Casitta / keyboards
- Daniel Leão / violin
- Abraão Portes / cello
- Luis (Les Paul) paulo / drums
- Marcelo Miranda - voice (2, 10, 12)
- Werlei Santos - synth drum (5) and secret hidden voice

All songs composed, arranged and produced by Reinaldo Penido
All lyrics, digital artwork and album concept by Reinaldo Penido

Thanks to Tarcisio Moura for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

Buy SUB ROSA The Gigsaw Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Private NumberPrivate Number
Essence
Slings & ArrowsSlings & Arrows
Pravda Records 2010
$15.99

More places to buy SUB ROSA music online Buy SUB ROSA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SUB ROSA The Gigsaw ratings distribution

SUB ROSA The Gigsaw reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Excellent debut CD by this new brazilian band. Someone tipped me about it and I contact them through their website to get their CD (it´s an independent release, so anyone interested should contact www.subrosa.com.br). It was a shot in the dark since I had never heard of them, although they live not very far from my hometown. It was worth it, though. The Gigsaw is one of the best CDs I heard this year and 2010 has been an year full of great stuff, old or new. So it had to be quite strong material to impress me lately. Sub Rosa had it.

I don´t know why they are labeled as a crossover band when the eclectic prog tag would be much more fitting. Because eclectic they surely are! There is a lot of influences in their music: early Pink Floyd (the strongest and most recognizable), Van Der Graaf Generator, Marillion, Renaissance, Eloy plus jazzy passages, a funky guitar here and there, krautrock, minimalistic keys and so on. As odd as this mix may sound, it works. In fact they have their own personality already, which is why I was so drawn to their work.

As usual with good prog CDs, It took a few spins to fully enjoy this record. However, some parts are full of pure beauty from the very first time I heard them. There is a 70´s ´flavour´ all over the record. I specially liked the alternating male and female vocals (even if their heavy accent may annoy some people) both of whom are very well handled, something often forgotten in this style. The voices here are as good as the tremendous instrumental work. I loved the retro-like Hammond organ sounds, the vintage sounding synth solos and the very well done guitar lines (mostly influenced by Latimer/Gilmour, but ultimately quite varied). Interesting thing: they have a girl drummer, Barbara Laranjeira, something quite unusual in prog (and she does a good job, with a style reminiscent of Floyd´s Nick Mason). There is not a single filler in the whole CD. I always listen to it from start to finish, even though I still personally think the first track was not the best choice for the opener. Production is very good overall (the bass is a tad too loud sometimes, though). The booklet with the technical data and lyrics is also very nice.

Highlights? Too many to mention. Just listen and pick up yours. There is a lot of little gems hidden here. The Gigsaw sounds both familiar and new, which is the base of their charm.

Conclusion: a stunning debut. The ecletic mixture and the sometimes bare, minimalistic approach of some tunes may take a little time to be fully appreciated, but the album has something most new releases lack: as varied as it is, it has a unifying feeling that gives it a coherent whole. Sure, it is not perfect and there are obvious rough edges to work out on the future. Still, it is a remakable first for an unknown act. Very promising, no doubt.

Rating: 4,5 stars. Highly recommended!

Post a review of SUB ROSA "The Gigsaw"