RARITIES (US VERSION)

- John Lennon / guitars/ vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass / guitars / vocals
- George Harrison / guitars / vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums / vocals

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$17.99
Yellow Submarine [Digipak] by The Beatles (CD, Sep-2009, Apple Corps) US $15.99 Buy It Now 29m 41s
Yellow Submarine Songtrack [Digipak] by The Beatles (CD, Jun-2012, Apple Corps) US $15.99 Buy It Now 29m 52s
1964 Beatles Original "Do You Want to Know a Secret" VJ587 SOLID BLACK LABEL US $9.99 [0 bids]
31m 33s
George Harrison Somewhere in England LP The Beatles Original Vinyl 3492 US $3.99 [0 bids]
32m 13s
Beatles, Nazareth, Seger Skynyrd 7 Great original records LOoK!! US $15.00 [0 bids]
33m 8s
Paul McCartney The World Tonight 3Track Single Beatles Jeff Lynne w/Oobu Joobu US $0.99 [0 bids]
35m 12s
PAUL McCARTNEY publicity photo #1 Beatles US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 41s
PAUL McCARTNEY publicity photo #11 Beatles US $5.00 Buy It Now 35m 54s
BEATLES Nowhere Man & What Goes On? GREEN VINYL 7" 45 rpm record NEW US $37.54 Buy It Now 36m 2s
PAUL McCARTNEY publicity photo #2 Beatles US $5.00 Buy It Now 36m 10s
JOHN LENNON ROCK 'N' ROLL - UK IMPORT MFP 50522 BEATLES NM VINYL VG+ JACKET LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 36m 25s
PAUL McCARTNEY publicity photo #5 Beatles US $5.00 Buy It Now 36m 26s
The Beatles I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND m-/m- Starline US $9.99 Buy It Now 36m 29s
The Beatles YESTERDAY . ACT NATURALLY vg++ 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 36m 29s
The Beatles CAN'T BUY ME LOVE / YOU CAN'T DO THAT vg+ 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 36m 29s
The Beatles LET IT BE / YOU KNOW MY NAME m-/vg++ US $12.99 Buy It Now 36m 29s
The Beatles A HARD DAY'S NIGHT vg++ 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 36m 29s
The Beatles PAPERBACK WRITER / RAIN vg++ 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 36m 30s
The Beatles I FEEL FINE / SHE'S A WOMAN 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 36m 30s
The Beatles WE CAN WORK IT OUT/DAY TRIPPER m-/m- Starline US $11.99 Buy It Now 36m 31s
PAUL McCARTNEY publicity photo #6 Beatles US $5.00 Buy It Now 36m 31s
PAUL McCARTNEY publicity photo #9 Beatles US $5.00 Buy It Now 36m 48s
Beatles Help STILL SEALED PROMO LP US $69.99 [0 bids]
36m 57s
JOHN LENNON COLLECTION VINYL LP AUSTRALIA issue Beatles rare mind games US $18.76 Buy It Now 37m 43s
Beatles "Free as a Bird/Christmas Time is here Again" - Apple 58497 M- US $60.00 Buy It Now 37m 43s
Anthology 3 by The Beatles (Cassette, Oct-1996, 2 Discs, Capitol/EMI Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 37m 45s
Wings at the Speed of Sound Paul McCartney 1976 MEXICAN LP VG RARE. Beatles. US $14.99 Buy It Now 39m 25s
BEATLES MYTHOLOGY 1963 - 1964 2 CD MINI LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 40m 16s
LOVE Da Capo NM LP thick vinyl reissue Arthur Lee Beatles psych Kinks Big Star US $14.99 Buy It Now 40m 45s
Beatles Twist And Shout 45 RPM Record With Cover Made UK Gr Britain 4 track US $11.99 [0 bids]
41m 33s
THE BEATLES ABBEY ROAD.. RECORD ALBUM US $18.99 [0 bids]
42m 26s
THE BEATLES SARGENT PEPPERS RECORD ALBUM MAS 2653.MONO US $24.99 [0 bids]
43m 9s
Beatles Lot 9 Albums Srgt Pepper Rubber Soul Abby Rd Help Meet The Beatles US $65.00 [0 bids]
43m 35s
THE BEATLES - LET IT BE - 1ST PRESS VINYL LP ALBUM - APPLE AR-34001 US $6.74 [4 bids]
44m 32s
DAY TRIPPERS: An R&B Tribute to THE BEATLES / *New CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 44m 34s
the beatles cds US $59.00 [0 bids]
44m 50s
8 - 33 1/3RPM Beatles Albums Collection-includes Rare "History of the Beatles" US $29.99 [0 bids]
46m 45s
THE BEATLES LOVE - UNPLAYED CD AND DVD AUDIO-CD US $4.08 [3 bids]
47m 14s
1964 Beatles Original "Do You Want to Know a Secret" VJ587 SOLID YELLOW LABEL US $9.99 [0 bids]
48m 15s
"Oldies" "The Beatles" "Yesterday" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 37s
"Oldies" "The Beatles" "Strawberry Fields Forever" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 37s
BEATLES - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - VINYL LP - APPLE SMAS-2653 US $10.00 [8 bids]
49m 26s
PAUL MCCARTNEY SOLO BEATLES GERMAN LP 1970 ORIGINAL US $50.00 Buy It Now 49m 30s
GOLDMINE MAGAZINE ***3 Past Issues*** Doors, Beatles, Clash, Eddie Cochran US $6.99 Buy It Now 49m 41s
The Beatles & John Lennon- Rock'n'Roll 3 x LP Box Set Vinyl - Belgium Import EX! US $35.99 Buy It Now 50m 11s
VINTAGE BEATLES PROMOTIONAL POSTCARD BREL THE BEATLES CS 149 US $33.89 Buy It Now 50m 30s
Tony Sheridan with the Beatles Polydor EP 21610 M- US $200.00 Buy It Now 51m 27s
PAUL MCCARTNEY WINGS RED ROSE SPEEDWAY GERMAN BEATLES LP 1973 ORIGINAL US $50.00 Buy It Now 52m 14s
BEATLES Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da & Julia CLEAR VINYL 7" 45 rpm record NEW US $37.54 Buy It Now 52m 55s
THE BEATLES - ABBEY ROAD - VINYL LP ALBUM - CAPITOL SO-383 US $5.74 [4 bids]
53m 33s
CLAUDIA LENNEAR BEATLES 7" VINYL 1971 ORIG. 20 FEET FROM STARDOM IKE TINA TURNER US $41.25 Buy It Now 53m 59s
THE CAREFREES We Love You Beatles 45 7" EX/EX- US ORIGINAL GIRL GROUP LISTEN US $9.98 [0 bids]
54m 37s
The Beatles USB by The Beatles (CD, Dec-2009, Capitol) US $179.99 Buy It Now 54m 38s
Past Masters, Vol. 1 by The Beatles (CD, Mar-1988, Capitol/EMI Records) US $7.00 [0 bids]
55m 3s
Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl 8 Track US $9.99 [0 bids]
56m 28s
Come Together: America Salutes the Beatles by Various Artists (CD, Mar-2003,... US $8.00 [0 bids]
56m 31s
Beatles Bop - Hamburg Days 2-CD Set by The Beatles w/ Tony Sheridan Stereo Mono US $21.99 Buy It Now 56m 49s
"Classic Rock" "The Beatles" "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 56m 53s
29 Vintage Beatles Records 45 45S Lot Bulk Rare Hey Jude Let It Be Come Together US $169.99 Buy It Now 57m 17s
Beatles kansas city /Boys 45 rpm Star Line single mint with original sleeve swir US $18.00 [0 bids]
57m 20s
THE BEATLES - 1962-1966 - VINYL DOUBLE LP ALBUM - CAPITOL LABEL SKBO-3403 VG+ US $4.99 [4 bids]
58m 40s
THE BEATLES Sgt Pepper STEREO GATEFOLD LP Capitol GREEN LABEL + NEWS ARTICLE US $19.95 [0 bids]
59m 6s
The Beatles - HELP! , 45 rpm EP w/ps, France Import US $12.00 [0 bids]
59m 21s
THE BEATLES Sgt Pepper 1967 STEREO GATEFOLD LP Capitol SMAS 2563 Rainbow Label  US $19.95 [0 bids]
59m 27s
Beatles "Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine" with Picture Sleeve M- US $50.00 Buy It Now 59m 36s
THE BEATLES Sgt Pepper 1967 1st MONO GATEFOLD LP Capitol MAS 2563 Rainbow Label  US $19.95 [1 bids]
1h
BEATLES Live At The BBC 2 x CD Jewel Case 1994 edition US $9.39 [0 bids]
1h
THE BEATLES RUBBER SOUL 1965 US MONO LP Capitol Rainbow BEATLES on Label + INNER US $19.95 [0 bids]
Vintage Record 45 The Beatles Yesterday * Act Naturally US $5.55 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - 1967-1970 - VINYL DOUBLE LP ALBUM - CAPITOL LABEL SKAO-3404 NM- US $10.60 [5 bids]
LP l MFSL UHQR l MFQR 1-100 l Beatles l Sgt Pepper l MFSL Factory Sealed US $1,487.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
"Classic Rock" "The Beatles" "Don't Let Me Down" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
"Classic Rock" "The Beatles" "Strawberry Fields Forever" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE BEATLES RUBBER SOUL 1965 Stereo LP Capitol RAINBOW Beatles LABEL + INNER  US $19.95 [0 bids]
V. A.:Shared Vision: The Songs of the Beatles CD 1994 ,Elton John ,The Jam US $0.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES - Silver Beatles / US Picture Disc Near Mint!! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE BEATLES Revolver 1969 ISSUE Stereo LP Capitol GREEN TARGET Label US $19.95 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES Revolver 1966 STEREO LP Capitol BLACK RAINBOW East Coast Label US $19.95 [0 bids]
"Oldies" "The Beatles" "Help" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
"Classic Rock" "The Beatles" "And I Love Her" "Rare 45" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Beatles Old Brown Shoe / Ballad John & Yoko Apple Album US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Rock 'n' Roll [Remaster] by John Lennon CD The Beatles US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
THE Early BEATLES 1965 MONO LP Capitol T 2309 RAINBOW Label + ORIG INNER US $23.05 [3 bids]
THE Early BEATLES 1965 Stereo LP CAPITOL ST 2309 COLORBAND Rainbow Label US $19.95 [0 bids]
45 Record Album Storage Book Carrier Holder Folder Hippie Mod Beatles Style 60's US $48.97 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Beatles All You Need Is Love b/w Baby You're a Rich Man French 7" 45 PS OdeonEMI US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Beatles Swan Records She Loves You 45 US $15.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles "Movie Medley" Rock * Picture Sleeve * DJ-Promo * 1982 * 45 RPM US $34.99 [0 bids]
Rockabye Baby! Lot includes Bob Marley, the Beatles, U2, and the Rolling Stones. US $11.38 [7 bids]
BEATLES Meet The Beatles STEREO LP IN SHRINK Subsidiary of CAPITOL APPLE Label US $19.95 [1 bids]
BEATLES Meet The Beatles STEREO LP SEALED In Shrink CAPITOL + Producer Credit  US $34.77 [5 bids]
Beatles Vee Jay Records 45 Please Please Me US $15.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES Meet The Beatles RARE 1969 STEREO LP Capitol LIME GREEN TARGET Label  US $19.95 [1 bids]
Beatles Capitol Records 45 I Saw Her Standing There US $15.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES Meet The Beatles EARLY ISSUE MONO LP Capitol RAINBOW No Producer Credit US $19.95 [0 bids]
1963 Beatles Original "Love Me Do" "P.S. I Love You" Capitol of Canada 72076 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Beatles Vee JayRecords 45 Thank You Girl US $25.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES PLEASE PLEASE ME MONO NEAR MINT LP! revolver rubber soul white album US $29.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES PLEASE,PLEASE ME MONO US $251.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
JOHN LENNON / YOKO ONO Double Fantasy LP SEALED IN SHRINK Geffen Records BEATLES US $19.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(67%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars It took a long time for some of us boomers to get over the breakup of The Beatles. Some never did, I suppose, but I finally moved on after suffering through months of withdrawal. The fantastic, anything-goes music that saturated the 70s, especially the spectacular aural art flowing freely from the progressive rock genre, helped me immensely to recover from that particular heartbreak. Yet they were light years from being forgotten. The Fab Four's lengthy shadow stretched across the minds of the musicians of that wild decade and we couldn't help glancing back over our shoulders sometimes to see if there was something that we somehow missed hearing from them. Truth be known, many of my generation who reluctantly grew into adulthood with the likes of "Rubber Soul" and "The White Album" as a backdrop would've been willing to buy a tape of John, Paul, George & Ringo's canine pets farting "Norwegian Wood" in four-part harmony if it went on sale. And, despite the fact that each member seemed to be wholly content to pursue their solo careers, rumors of the quartet miraculously reuniting were as regular as UFO sightings and, thus, hope sprang eternal.

So, in March of 1980, cash-strapped Capitol Records decided to capitalize on the existence of a sizeable Beatle-jonesing consumer group and quietly placed in the record bins "Rarities," an album consisting of tracks that had either never been officially released by that label or not made available on a state-side LP at all, as well as some alternate takes and mixes. An intelligent soul would think that even if an immensely popular group like The Rolling Stones or The Who did such a thing that perhaps a thousand die-hard fans would line up to purchase one. But The Beatles were still sacred bovines in the hearts of the aging flower children gang and this album went gold (half a million units sold) in no time, reaching as high as #21 on the charts, even though there really wasn't anything new about it at all. I must confess, I was one of the multitudes who didn't hesitate to part with my hard-earned cash for it. My overly-optimistic yearning was that somehow, even if for a split second, there would be something included that would recreate the thrill I used to relish every time I heard one of their songs for the first time. Of course, that didn't happen. It was totally unrealistic to think it would so I had to settle for reminiscing about how great the lads from Liverpool were and how lucky I was to have lived in their heyday. You can't re- live the past but you sure can waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Having the Ringo-led version of "Love Me Do" in my possession is nice but it really makes me wonder what the fuss over George Martin's insistence on using session drummer Andy White on the master was all about. Other than not having a tambourine rattling away it sounds the same. "Misery" and "There's a Place" had only been released as 45s previously so they qualified. "Sie Liebt Dich" is "She Loves You" sung in German and I envision Lennon goose-stepping around the studio with his finger under his nose and arm upraised between takes. "And I Love Her" is the first cut to emphasize the sheer eccentricity of this collection as the album descends into the realm of minutiae. Its sole distinction is that Paul's vocal is overdubbed and the guitar riff is repeated six times at the end instead of four. Really? Be still my beating heart. "Help" features a different lead vocal from John, "I'm Only Sleeping" sports an alternate array of backwards guitar snippets and "I Am the Walrus" is a combination of two rarer versions edited together. None of these makes for an earth-shaking revelation, exactly, so side one of this sphere of vinyl was a disappointment.

One of the coolest things is found on "Penny Lane." It's got the extra seven-note piccolo trumpet riff at the end that was trimmed off in the final mix. The deal is that after hearing it you'll expect it every time you hear the tune played on the radio because it fits so perfectly and, when it doesn't happen, it will drive you crazy forevermore. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.) And, speaking of nuts with lame excuses, Charlie Manson's favorite number is next, the homicide-inducing-but-otherwise-playful "Helter Skelter." This is a mono mix that takes a few detours from the well-known version but not enough to make much of a difference. The same goes for "Don't Pass Me By." If there's a Beatles song that has gotten less attention than Harrison's weird "The Inner Light" then please share your knowledge. There's a good reason for its obscurity, too. It's a dog, and a mongrel at that. George tries to meld an Indian raga with lyrics inspired by a Japanese poem and he fails miserably. It makes "Why don't we do it in the road" sound like "A Day in the Life" in comparison. The rawer, Spector-less rendition of John's "Across the Universe" is more like what I wanted to hear. It's a much better composition without all the syrupy strings added on. I'll be honest now. "You Know My Name (Look up the Number)" is the real reason I bought this disc. I've always thought it has a charming Monty Python-ish goofiness about it that shows they could have silly fun in the studio and not take themselves so seriously. It has an endearing atmosphere, as well. At two seconds in duration, the "Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove" goes by way too fast for dissection so let's just let it be, shall we?

When the "Yesterday and Today" LP came out in 1966 I rushed out and snatched up a copy. Soon after I heard that the famous "butcher cover" might be hidden underneath the hideous and, frankly, uglier "steamer trunk" photo that graced mine so I amateurishly tried to peel/steam off the overlay as was being suggested. The good news was that I had, indeed, gotten one of the coveted re-covers. The bad news was that I made a mess of the thing in the process of discovery. You can tell it's the real McCoy, alright, but it ain't gonna be fetching a fortune at auction anytime soon if you know what I mean. The compilers of "Rarities" had intended to put said controversial cover on the front of this bloody baby but that idea got shot down by the same breed of stiff, narrow-minded execs at Capitol as 14 years earlier so it ended up being plastered discreetly on the fold out. Much ado about nothing, I say. To the label's credit, though, they did include over 40 unpublished color and black & white photos of the band to round out the nostalgic concept. 8 years later when Apple released the two volumes of "Past Masters" and then in the mid 90s when the three Anthology CDs came out this LP became woefully obsolete and more of a footnote than anything relevant or sought-after. Still, its success shows that the group's undeniable (and profitable) mystique lived on long after they ceased to exist as a working entity. 2.4 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#281782) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 13, 2010

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Rarities (US version)"