RARITIES (US VERSION)

- John Lennon / guitars/ vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass / guitars / vocals
- George Harrison / guitars / vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums / vocals

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) Music

THE BEATLES - HEY JUDE BEATLES AGAIN LP Apple Records SW/SO-385 Early Original US $15.00 [0 bids]
32m 21s
The Beatles:Compact Disc EP Collection [Box] (CD, Jun-1992, 15 Discs,... US $159.99 [0 bids]
32m 56s
Rewires The Beatles, New Music US $13.77 Buy It Now 34m 41s
THE BEATLES "BEATLES '65" JOHN,PAUL,GEORGE & RINGO 8 TRACK TAPE - WHITE!!! US $5.00 [0 bids]
34m 41s
The Beatles Original Sheet Music 1965 YESTERDAY Northern Songs Lovely NEAR MINT US $33.44 Buy It Now 35m 44s
Beatles 1967-1970 LP vinyl US $15.00 [0 bids]
36m 47s
?SUZY AND THE RED STRIPES (BEATLES) 1979 UK DEMO SEASIDE WOMAN EX/MINT-? US $41.83 [0 bids]
36m 49s
BEATLES-VI-STEREO-ST 2358 PRESSING PLANT 5 RAINBOW LABEL VG++ INNER USED LP US $99.99 Buy It Now 37m 47s
BEATLES for sale no 2 45 Record GEP0-70020 RARE IMPORT US $87.50 Buy It Now 37m 57s
THE WONDERFUL MUSIC YESTERDAY OF THE BEATLES BOX SET BY TERRY BAXTER ORCHESTRA US $9.99 [0 bids]
38m 34s
The Beatles Yellow Submarine #EAS-80559 JAPAN IMPORT, Toshiba/EMI APPLE LABEL US $39.95 Buy It Now 38m 53s
Muhammad Ali & The Beatles -SIGNED B&W Pic - John Lennon - Cassius Clay -REPRINT US $8.35 Buy It Now 39m 20s
BEATLES - HEY JUDE LP US $1.00 [0 bids]
39m 51s
BEATLES - CAN'T BUE ME LOVE VERY RARE GREEK 45 VG++ LOOK !!! US $5.99 [0 bids]
40m
GENUINE 1963- "MEET THE BEATLES" STAR SPECIAL MAGAZINE BY THE BEATLES AWESOME ! US $31.77 [0 bids]
40m 2s
LARGEST ISSUE THE BEATLES CORGI MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR BUS - COACH NEW AND BOXED US $60.21 [0 bids]
40m 4s
THE BEATLES 45 HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS PIC SLV US $63.75 Buy It Now 40m 39s
Beatles Rock n Roll Music-Volume 1-LP vinyl US $9.99 [0 bids]
41m 6s
BACKBEAT UK Vinyl LP Like New! Foo Fighters REM Soul Asylum Don Fleming Beatles US $55.50 Buy It Now 41m 18s
2 CD karaoke hits of the Beatles and Elvis, Vol. 1 (CD, Dec-1996, Sound.. US $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 24s
?PAUL McCARTNEY (BEATLES) UK DEMO SPIES LIKE US MINT-/MINT- UNRELEASED MIX? US $41.83 [0 bids]
41m 47s
?GEORGE HARRISON (BEATLES) CONCERT FOR GEORGE MEMORIAL PROGRAMME + INSERT MINT? US $83.65 [0 bids]
43m 10s
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour LP - Capitol SMAL-2835 - Apple label US $4.99 [1 bids]
43m 36s
BEATLES SET OF 15 CHU-BOPS CHEWING GUM FACTORY SEALED & PROMO SHOP DISPLAY MINT US $167.31 [0 bids]
44m 18s
THE BEATLES-I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND 1964 CAPITOL RECORDS 7" 5112 VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 44m 44s
The Beatles Rarities Album Capitol 1980 SHAL 12060 VG US $21.99 Buy It Now 45m 30s
BEATLES THE CAPITOL ALBUMS SAMPLER 2 CD COLLECTIBLE Mono/ Stereo 16 Tracks US $50.00 Buy It Now 46m 37s
THE BEATLES- SEALED "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" Picture Disc 1978 / LP US $49.99 [0 bids]
48m 3s
Beatles-Rare Photos & Interview CD vol.1 Numbered Limited Edition US $4.95 [0 bids]
48m 17s
The Beatles - "Sgt. Pepper Lonely Heart Club Band" LTD C1-46442, 1995, Sealed US $49.99 [1 bids]
48m 19s
The Beatles -Let It Be LP -Lot of 2 Records US $35.00 [0 bids]
50m 21s
Meet The Beatles Lp Vinyl Capitol St 2047 US $9.99 [0 bids]
50m 41s
THE BEATLES.. A COLLECTION OF BEATLES OLDIES ALBUM,- Blue ODEON German import US $15.00 [0 bids]
50m 55s
THE BEATLES 1963 ROYAL COMMAND OFFICIAL PERFORMANCE MAGAZINE LOVELY CONDITION US $30.10 Buy It Now 50m 57s
Beatles Introducing...Vee Jay SR 1062 rock Englands SHRINK VG++ Group RECORD LP US $39.00 Buy It Now 51m 8s
THE BEATLES IN HIS OWN WRITE JOHN LENNON 'S FIRST BOOK FIRST REPRINT APRIL 1964 US $63.56 [0 bids]
51m 32s
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR WARUS LIMITED EDITION TRADING CARDS FULL SET US $46.83 Buy It Now 54m 38s
LOT of (26) VINTAGE ROCK & ROLL 45'S~BEATLES~ELVIS~STONES~HOLLY~& MORE~SEE LIST! US $9.95 [0 bids]
54m 41s
CHER 7"PS Spain 1973 Half breed / The long and winding road THE BEATLES US $7.50 [0 bids]
55m 45s
The Beatles vintage cuttings & 2 x postcards (not vintage) US $1.66 [0 bids]
56m 17s
BEATLES "LOVE ME DO" 50TH ANNIVERSARY PARLOPHONE WITH WRONG CATALOG # ON B-SIDE US $15.99 [0 bids]
57m 56s
JOHN LENNON Imagine LP Bulgarian Pressing Balkanton Beatles 1971 US $19.99 Buy It Now 58m 17s
BEATLES - HEY JUDE LP US $1.00 [0 bids]
59m 5s
The Beatles RED WHITE & BLUE Album Lot US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h
1967-1970 The Beatles Vinyl 1973 2 LP Capitol Records Blue Label SKBO 3404 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
BEATLES Paul McCartney 2005 Never Stop Doing What You Love SEALED Promo NEW CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h
THE BEATLES CORGI DIE CAST MODEL YELLOW SUBMARINE No.054004 WITH BEATLES FIGURES US $38.46 Buy It Now 1h 2m
BEATLES Private Issue RINGO STARR All-Starr Band PROMO CD 4-Track SAMPLER US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
RINGO STARR (WITH BEATLES!)~GOODNIGHT VIENNA~STILL SEALED ORIGINAL 1974 APPLE LP US $19.99 [2 bids]
Paul McCartney No More Lonely Nights / 2 Versions 7" 45 & Picture Sleeve Beatles US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
PAUL McCARTNEY Memory Almost Full CD, 2007, VG, Beatles US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
"The Really Big Shew" The Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show / 7" Record / CBS SP910 US $29.95 [2 bids]
Chipmunks sing the Beatles sealed mint UK mono import US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND 2LP N MINT OST POSTER Rare Bee Gees Beatles US $25.08 Buy It Now 1h 4m
The Beatles (White Album)2 cd serial nº 69334 mega rare 1987 1ºpress US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The BEATLES - A HARD DAY'S NIGHT WARUS LIMITED EDITION TRADING CARDS FULL SET. US $46.83 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE BEATLES~MEET THE BEATLES~RARE ORIG '64 CAPITOL MONO LP~RARE 1 BMI LABEL~NM US $39.00 [6 bids]
THE BEATLES (BLACK) FANTASTIC BADGE PACK (4 x 3.8cm) US $6.24 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THE BEATLES (BLUE) FANTASTIC BADGE PACK (4 x 3.8cm) US $4.90 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The Beatles vintage cuttings & pictures US $5.00 [2 bids]
Paul McCartney Collection - Band On The Run (RARE 1993 CD) Wings Beatles US $16.71 Buy It Now 1h 6m
The Beatles - Free As A Bird - RARE cd promo single US $12.74 Buy It Now 1h 6m
GENUINE THE BEATLES EARLY GIANT POSTER (LOFT FIND) PYX ORIGINAL 1964 STUNNING ! US $36.79 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Revolver by The Beatles (CD, May-1987, Capitol) US $2.10 [5 bids]
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [CD LIKE NEW US $3.95 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES~SECOND ALBUM~RARE ORIG '65 CAPITOL STEREO LP~NO TIMING LABEL~NR MINT US $105.50 [5 bids]
John Lennon / Nobody Told Me / Yoko Ono / O' Sanity / 7" Vinyl 45 Record Beatles US $4.82 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Beatles Anthology 1 Vinyl LP Record 1995 Apple Records US $22.33 [3 bids]
BEATLES - 1962-1966 LP US $1.00 [1 bids]
BEATLEMANIA VOLUME 1 - 2004 MOJO MAGAZINE CD The Beatles Cover Versions US $8.35 Buy It Now 1h 11m
The BEATLES White Album [Made in UK][Box set,2disccs] US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
THE BEATLES CORGI YELLOW SUBMARINE ORIGINAL 803 MADE IN GB 1969 DIE CAST MODEL US $75.27 [0 bids]
The Beatles: Yesterday T-Shirt / Model / Plaque Gift Set - New & Official In Tin US $37.64 Buy It Now 1h 15m
BEATLES love me do - WOVEN IRON/SEW ON PATCH import US $6.68 Buy It Now 1h 16m
The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night T-Shirt/Model Taxi/Wall Plaque Set - New In Tin US $37.64 Buy It Now 1h 17m
The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl Vinyl US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
4- 45 RPM RECORDS BY BEATLES ARTISTS RINGO-LENNON-AND GEORGE HARRISON US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES YESTERDAY & TODAY BLUE MARBLE COLORED VINYL LP US $299.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
The Beatles: Can't Buy Me Love T-Shirt/Model/Plaque Gift Set New Official In Tin US $37.64 Buy It Now 1h 22m
LOS CHARROS BARROCOS DE ROMAN PALOMAR - MEXICAN LP mariachi beatles YESTERDAY US $14.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES For Sale LP 1st Original Japan press 1965 Red Wax, Insert US $70.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES cd PAST MASTERS VOLUME ONE made in UK Capitol CDP 7 90043 2 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
THE BEATLES BALLADS - 20 TRACKS - STEREO - EXCELLENT US $8.35 [0 bids]
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week T-Shirt/Model/Plaque Gift Set New Official In Tin US $37.64 Buy It Now 1h 25m
THE BEATLES CORGI DIE CAST MODEL REVOLVER TAXI CAB WITH COLLECTABLE PICTURE TIN US $28.43 Buy It Now 1h 25m
THE BEATLES No. 5 LP 1st Original Japan press 1965 Red Wax & GF Insert Rare!!! US $65.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles: All You Need Is Love T-Shirt/Model/Plaque Set New & Official In Tin US $37.64 Buy It Now 1h 28m
BEATLES - Rubber Soul - CD CDP 7 46440 2 US $20.06 Buy It Now 1h 28m
WONDERWALL MUSIC GEORGE HARRISON FRANCE BEATLES LP NM 1968 APPLE PATHE MARCONI US $9.99 [1 bids]
the beatles love me do 45 picture cover record capital US $19.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES She Loves You 7" record 45 rpm EP import odeon soe 3741 France PS exc US $24.95 Buy It Now 1h 31m
12 Beatles Abbey Road Something New Sgt Peppers Rubber Soul Revolver Meet Second US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES Help! LP 1st Original Japan press 1965 Red Wax, Insert US $70.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles / Norwegian Wood / If I Needed Someone / Mint Unplayed US Jukebox 45 US $40.50 Buy It Now 1h 34m
THE BEATLES*WHITE ALBUM-BLACK DISC*1-CD*RARE OOP JAPANESE LTD.ED*NOT TARANTURA US $24.99 [2 bids]
LON & DEREK VAN EATON BROTHER APPLE RECORDS THE BEATLES SEALED LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
THE BEATLES OFFICIAL (with crest) Hanley Washington 1960s Plate BRILLIANT ! US $55.19 Buy It Now 1h 35m
The Beatles Yellow Submarine 4 track advance sampler US $21.24 Buy It Now 1h 36m
The Beatles Apple 2835 Magical Mystery Tour US $14.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES GENUINE EARLY GIANT POSTER PYX ORIGINAL 1964 PERFECT CONDITION ACE! US $30.10 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(67%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars It took a long time for some of us boomers to get over the breakup of The Beatles. Some never did, I suppose, but I finally moved on after suffering through months of withdrawal. The fantastic, anything-goes music that saturated the 70s, especially the spectacular aural art flowing freely from the progressive rock genre, helped me immensely to recover from that particular heartbreak. Yet they were light years from being forgotten. The Fab Four's lengthy shadow stretched across the minds of the musicians of that wild decade and we couldn't help glancing back over our shoulders sometimes to see if there was something that we somehow missed hearing from them. Truth be known, many of my generation who reluctantly grew into adulthood with the likes of "Rubber Soul" and "The White Album" as a backdrop would've been willing to buy a tape of John, Paul, George & Ringo's canine pets farting "Norwegian Wood" in four-part harmony if it went on sale. And, despite the fact that each member seemed to be wholly content to pursue their solo careers, rumors of the quartet miraculously reuniting were as regular as UFO sightings and, thus, hope sprang eternal.

So, in March of 1980, cash-strapped Capitol Records decided to capitalize on the existence of a sizeable Beatle-jonesing consumer group and quietly placed in the record bins "Rarities," an album consisting of tracks that had either never been officially released by that label or not made available on a state-side LP at all, as well as some alternate takes and mixes. An intelligent soul would think that even if an immensely popular group like The Rolling Stones or The Who did such a thing that perhaps a thousand die-hard fans would line up to purchase one. But The Beatles were still sacred bovines in the hearts of the aging flower children gang and this album went gold (half a million units sold) in no time, reaching as high as #21 on the charts, even though there really wasn't anything new about it at all. I must confess, I was one of the multitudes who didn't hesitate to part with my hard-earned cash for it. My overly-optimistic yearning was that somehow, even if for a split second, there would be something included that would recreate the thrill I used to relish every time I heard one of their songs for the first time. Of course, that didn't happen. It was totally unrealistic to think it would so I had to settle for reminiscing about how great the lads from Liverpool were and how lucky I was to have lived in their heyday. You can't re- live the past but you sure can waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Having the Ringo-led version of "Love Me Do" in my possession is nice but it really makes me wonder what the fuss over George Martin's insistence on using session drummer Andy White on the master was all about. Other than not having a tambourine rattling away it sounds the same. "Misery" and "There's a Place" had only been released as 45s previously so they qualified. "Sie Liebt Dich" is "She Loves You" sung in German and I envision Lennon goose-stepping around the studio with his finger under his nose and arm upraised between takes. "And I Love Her" is the first cut to emphasize the sheer eccentricity of this collection as the album descends into the realm of minutiae. Its sole distinction is that Paul's vocal is overdubbed and the guitar riff is repeated six times at the end instead of four. Really? Be still my beating heart. "Help" features a different lead vocal from John, "I'm Only Sleeping" sports an alternate array of backwards guitar snippets and "I Am the Walrus" is a combination of two rarer versions edited together. None of these makes for an earth-shaking revelation, exactly, so side one of this sphere of vinyl was a disappointment.

One of the coolest things is found on "Penny Lane." It's got the extra seven-note piccolo trumpet riff at the end that was trimmed off in the final mix. The deal is that after hearing it you'll expect it every time you hear the tune played on the radio because it fits so perfectly and, when it doesn't happen, it will drive you crazy forevermore. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.) And, speaking of nuts with lame excuses, Charlie Manson's favorite number is next, the homicide-inducing-but-otherwise-playful "Helter Skelter." This is a mono mix that takes a few detours from the well-known version but not enough to make much of a difference. The same goes for "Don't Pass Me By." If there's a Beatles song that has gotten less attention than Harrison's weird "The Inner Light" then please share your knowledge. There's a good reason for its obscurity, too. It's a dog, and a mongrel at that. George tries to meld an Indian raga with lyrics inspired by a Japanese poem and he fails miserably. It makes "Why don't we do it in the road" sound like "A Day in the Life" in comparison. The rawer, Spector-less rendition of John's "Across the Universe" is more like what I wanted to hear. It's a much better composition without all the syrupy strings added on. I'll be honest now. "You Know My Name (Look up the Number)" is the real reason I bought this disc. I've always thought it has a charming Monty Python-ish goofiness about it that shows they could have silly fun in the studio and not take themselves so seriously. It has an endearing atmosphere, as well. At two seconds in duration, the "Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove" goes by way too fast for dissection so let's just let it be, shall we?

When the "Yesterday and Today" LP came out in 1966 I rushed out and snatched up a copy. Soon after I heard that the famous "butcher cover" might be hidden underneath the hideous and, frankly, uglier "steamer trunk" photo that graced mine so I amateurishly tried to peel/steam off the overlay as was being suggested. The good news was that I had, indeed, gotten one of the coveted re-covers. The bad news was that I made a mess of the thing in the process of discovery. You can tell it's the real McCoy, alright, but it ain't gonna be fetching a fortune at auction anytime soon if you know what I mean. The compilers of "Rarities" had intended to put said controversial cover on the front of this bloody baby but that idea got shot down by the same breed of stiff, narrow-minded execs at Capitol as 14 years earlier so it ended up being plastered discreetly on the fold out. Much ado about nothing, I say. To the label's credit, though, they did include over 40 unpublished color and black & white photos of the band to round out the nostalgic concept. 8 years later when Apple released the two volumes of "Past Masters" and then in the mid 90s when the three Anthology CDs came out this LP became woefully obsolete and more of a footnote than anything relevant or sought-after. Still, its success shows that the group's undeniable (and profitable) mystique lived on long after they ceased to exist as a working entity. 2.4 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#281782) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 13, 2010

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Rarities (US version)"