RARITIES (US VERSION)

- John Lennon / guitars/ vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass / guitars / vocals
- George Harrison / guitars / vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums / vocals

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$17.99
Ballads_THE BEATLES_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA US $11.30 Buy It Now 32m 19s
MICHELLE - THE BEATLES - FRENCH ODEON RECORDS EP US $33.95 Buy It Now 36m 49s
THE BEATLES - NOTHING IS REAL - PRIVATE TAPES 65-67 - RARE US $13.99 [0 bids]
39m 5s
MOJO WE'RE WITH THE BEATLES NEW CD - NOT SEALED - FAST POST US $5.28 Buy It Now 40m 20s
The Beatles: Classic Logo Distressed Cap [Blue] - New & Official With Tag US $24.61 Buy It Now 44m 26s
Philippines DAVE CLARK FIVE - Lot Sale CASSETTES Rare BEATLES Mike Smith DC5 Oop US $34.44 [0 bids]
51m 24s
The Wonder Stuff - If the Beatles Had Read Hunter...The Singles - CD - FASTPOST US $3.38 Buy It Now 52m 37s
MEETS THE BEATLES (REMASTERED) (JAPANESE IMPORT) - NEW CD US $20.15 Buy It Now 52m 47s
PAUL McCARTNEY~'THE WORLD TONIGHT'~UK PROMO ONLY CD 1997~CDRDJ 6472~BEATLES~NEW US $16.96 Buy It Now 55m 17s
NeW* BEATLES DROP T LOGO JACKET HOODY BLACK LARGE BRAND NEW OFFICAL MERCHANDISE US $56.43 Buy It Now 57m 1s
Beatles Tapes VI: Rock & Religion 1966 CD 2005 USA US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Beatles: Help! Album Artwork Mini Mug Collectors Set - New & Official In Box US $24.61 Buy It Now 1h 9m
PAUL McCARTNEY Another Day STAR APPLE BEATLES LABEL GROUP ROCK 45 RPM NM- US $25.50 Buy It Now 1h 10m
The Beatles - A Really Big Show Limited Rare Live TV Recording Best Hits USA US $50.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles - 3 x LP LOT / RARE Original USA Albums MONO Pressings US $134.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
WINGS (BEATLES) ? WILD LIFE ? UK PRESSING ? BARELY PLAYED NEAR MINT!!!! US $16.96 [0 bids]
The Beatles Hard Days Night Pencil Case Black White Official Beatles Product NEW US $16.89 Buy It Now 1h 15m
ARTHUR FIEDLER & THE BOSTON POPS play THE BEATLES-UK LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
THE BEATLES ARTIFACTS RARITIES Get Back To Abbey Road 1969-1970 CD mini lp NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Beatles - 3 x LP LOT / RARE Original USA Albums STEREO Pressings US $134.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Beatles, Hey, Jude!, Original 1970 Australian Pressing, PCSO 7560 US $37.61 [0 bids]
"Bill Frisell - All We Are Saying (Beatles Lennon Jazz Instrumentals Guitar)" CD US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
BEATLES - THE MAKING OF A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (JPN LASERDISC COMP. W/INNER) US $49.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
SEAN LENNON Friendly Fire CD/DVD Beatles John Lennon Paul McCartney / Capitol'06 US $16.97 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Beatles Simon and Garfunkel Pink Floyd CDs 14 CD Collection US $20.09 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES "LET IT BE" 45 rpm. RARE RECORD COLLECTION & PRESSED FROM THAILAND US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
MFSL 1-105 THE BEATLES " HELP ! " (MFSL-JAPANPRESSING-SERIES/FACTORY SEALED) US $599.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Beatles - Yellow Submarine - 7" Single - 1994 - USA - Gold Vinyl - NEW US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love - 7" Single - USA - 1994 - Green Vinyl - NEW US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
RAY CHARLES HEAT OF THE NIGHT BEATLES 1967 ITALIAN 7"PS US $16.39 Buy It Now 1h 35m
THE BEATLES ROCK N ROLL MUSIC 2 LP SET 664 US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Moonlight String Orchestra - Plays The Music Of The Beatles (2000) - Used - US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Udo Jurgens - '71 (Northern Soul - Peace Now) Germany 1971 LISTEN LP NM Beatles US $67.49 Buy It Now 1h 44m
MEET THE BEATLES Japan box First Limited Edition Japanese plan product US $240.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL 1963 RED PARLOPHONE 45 PLEASE PLEASE ME IN NEMS BAG US $509.24 Buy It Now 1h 47m
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL 1969 ZAPPLE MENORADUM NOTEPAPER UNUSED EXCELLENT CONDITION US $84.86 Buy It Now 1h 47m
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL 1970 FANCLUB NEWSLETTER PLUS PHOTOGRAPH OF RINGO STARR US $50.91 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Beatles Help RARE UK Mono PMC 1255 Black/Yellow "Parlophone" / XEX 549 / XEX 550 US $127.49 Buy It Now 1h 48m
John Bayless - Bach Bayless & Beatles (1993) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.98 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Paul Mauriat - Salutes the Beatles 12" LP vinyl US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THE BEATLES ? REVOLVER ? ORIGINAL 1966 UK PRESSING ? EX!!! US $39.04 [5 bids]
MFSL 1-100 THE BEATLES "ST. PEPPERS LONELY"(JAPANPRESSING-SERIES/FACTORY SEALED) US $599.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
THE BEATLES PLEASE PLEASE ME 1ST ISRAEL ISRAELI LP MONO PMC 1202 US $230.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
BEATLES All you need is Love/Rich Man~Purple Label 1978 Store Stock MINT US $9.99 [0 bids]
Beatles - Last Night In Hamburg (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
The Beatles Abbey Road Album Embossed Metal Steel Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $21.98 Buy It Now 1h 58m
THE BEATLES - ABBEY ROAD - APPLE RECORDS (MATRIX 6/4) US $5.02 [7 bids]
THE BEATLES - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - REISSUE - WITH POP UPS US $2.56 [2 bids]
2h
The Beatles Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Metal Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h
The Beatles - Revolver (NEW CD) US $21.63 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE BEATLES - OFFICIAL FRIDGE MAGNET - various logo abbey road pepper apple US $5.08 Buy It Now 2h 5m
THE BEATLES ? Sgt PEPPERS ? 1967 UK 1st PRESSING ? PLAYS STUNNING EX+!!! US $121.69 [10 bids]
The Beatles Let It Be Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 5m
THE BEATLES YESTERDAY AND TODAY LP,APPLE JAPAN ST 80568 , C+R M- NM SHARP US $129.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
BEATLES Love Me Do UK 1st Press MAT1 Rare ep 7inch Original US $145.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles Help! Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Music Of The Beatles Across Th - Music Of The Beatles Across Th (2000) - Us US $0.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Music Of The Beatles:a Day In - Music Of The Beatles:a Day In (2000) - Used US $2.48 Buy It Now 2h 10m
The Beatles Revolver Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 10m
The Beatles Rubber Soul Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 10m
BEATLES - Not for Sale Nems Records LP (Rare Beatles Vinyl) US $42.50 Buy It Now 2h 12m
BEATLES Paperback Writer/Rain~Purple Label Starline 1988 Mono Store Stock MINT US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES EP PS Japan YELLOW SUBMARINE s0030 US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Chet Atkins - Picks On The Beatles (1996) - Used - Compact Disc US $2.42 Buy It Now 2h 14m
ONE 33 RPM RECORD (LP) GREAT SONGS OF THE BEATLES US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles For Sale Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 19m
The Beatles Hard Days Night Album Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 19m
With The Beatles Album Cover Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia White NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 19m
The Beatles Please Please Me Album Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 19m
The Beatles Chronology Of Albums Steel Metal Wall Sign Retro Tin Nostalgia NEW US $20.28 Buy It Now 2h 19m
THE BEATLES Revolver RARE ISRAELI ISRAEL CASSETTE US $40.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
BEATLES ABBEY ROAD LP STILL SEALED SHRINK! SO 383 NO BAR CODE! Old CAPITOL ALBUM US $29.99 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES Abbey Road CASSETTE TAPE RARE ITALY EMI IMPORT US $12.97 Buy It Now 2h 22m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions: Sure To Fall (CD in Mini LP sleeve OBI) US $18.00 [0 bids]
22 CD+G KARAOKE DISCS BEST SONGS 375+ SONGS ELVIS,LONESTAR,BEATLES,JEWEL x1 US $24.99 [0 bids]
22 CD+G KARAOKE DISCS BEST SONGS 375+ SONGS ELVIS,LONESTAR,BEATLES,JEWEL s5 US $24.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - Magazine Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 2h 24m
The Beatles Monthly Book No. 3 October 1963 Original Copy Excellent Condition US $42.42 Buy It Now 2h 24m
The Beatles LP Album Record Rubber Soul Capital US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Let It Be, Beatles, Very Good Import US $9.64 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Four By The Beatles by Beatles Rock Capitol 1964 vg+ US $79.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Baby It's You by Beatles Rock Apple 1995 near mint US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Eight Days A Week by Beatles Rock Starline 1965 vg++ US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 27m
PUTOKAZI-WITH RESPECT FOR THE BEATLES EXTRA RARE EX YUGO SUZY CROATIA NM-/NM- US $29.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE BEATLES-WHITE ALBUM RARE EX YUGOSLAVIA ORIGINAL.3 RD PRESSING 1981 EX/EX/EX US $48.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
TRIBUTE TO THE BEATLES RARE EX YUGOSLAVIA ORIGINAL PRESSING WHITE LABEL EX-/EX+ US $26.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE BEATLES HELP RARE ORIGINAL EX YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESSING 1979 EX-/EX US $28.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE BEATLES AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1ST PRESS 1977 VG+/EX US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE BEATLES-1962-1966-RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV 1ST. PRESSING 1973 EX/NM/EX US $26.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE BEATLES YELLOW SUBMARINE RARE ITALY PRESSING 1977 EX/EX US $38.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Paul McCartney (Beatles) - From A Lover To A Friend - Deleted UK 3 Track CD US $8.47 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Paul McCartney (Beatles) - Celebration - UK 1 track promo CD US $15.26 Buy It Now 2h 32m
THE BEATLES A HARD DAY'S NIGHT RARE DIFFE. ITALY PRESSING 1976 EX/EX TO EX+ US $55.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack NEW LP US $28.06 Buy It Now 2h 32m
The Beatles - 1 NEW 2 x LP US $31.35 Buy It Now 2h 32m
The BEATLES - A HARD DAY'S NIGHT WARUS CIGARETTE TRADING CARDS FULL SET OF TEN US $47.51 Buy It Now 2h 34m

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(67%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars It took a long time for some of us boomers to get over the breakup of The Beatles. Some never did, I suppose, but I finally moved on after suffering through months of withdrawal. The fantastic, anything-goes music that saturated the 70s, especially the spectacular aural art flowing freely from the progressive rock genre, helped me immensely to recover from that particular heartbreak. Yet they were light years from being forgotten. The Fab Four's lengthy shadow stretched across the minds of the musicians of that wild decade and we couldn't help glancing back over our shoulders sometimes to see if there was something that we somehow missed hearing from them. Truth be known, many of my generation who reluctantly grew into adulthood with the likes of "Rubber Soul" and "The White Album" as a backdrop would've been willing to buy a tape of John, Paul, George & Ringo's canine pets farting "Norwegian Wood" in four-part harmony if it went on sale. And, despite the fact that each member seemed to be wholly content to pursue their solo careers, rumors of the quartet miraculously reuniting were as regular as UFO sightings and, thus, hope sprang eternal.

So, in March of 1980, cash-strapped Capitol Records decided to capitalize on the existence of a sizeable Beatle-jonesing consumer group and quietly placed in the record bins "Rarities," an album consisting of tracks that had either never been officially released by that label or not made available on a state-side LP at all, as well as some alternate takes and mixes. An intelligent soul would think that even if an immensely popular group like The Rolling Stones or The Who did such a thing that perhaps a thousand die-hard fans would line up to purchase one. But The Beatles were still sacred bovines in the hearts of the aging flower children gang and this album went gold (half a million units sold) in no time, reaching as high as #21 on the charts, even though there really wasn't anything new about it at all. I must confess, I was one of the multitudes who didn't hesitate to part with my hard-earned cash for it. My overly-optimistic yearning was that somehow, even if for a split second, there would be something included that would recreate the thrill I used to relish every time I heard one of their songs for the first time. Of course, that didn't happen. It was totally unrealistic to think it would so I had to settle for reminiscing about how great the lads from Liverpool were and how lucky I was to have lived in their heyday. You can't re- live the past but you sure can waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Having the Ringo-led version of "Love Me Do" in my possession is nice but it really makes me wonder what the fuss over George Martin's insistence on using session drummer Andy White on the master was all about. Other than not having a tambourine rattling away it sounds the same. "Misery" and "There's a Place" had only been released as 45s previously so they qualified. "Sie Liebt Dich" is "She Loves You" sung in German and I envision Lennon goose-stepping around the studio with his finger under his nose and arm upraised between takes. "And I Love Her" is the first cut to emphasize the sheer eccentricity of this collection as the album descends into the realm of minutiae. Its sole distinction is that Paul's vocal is overdubbed and the guitar riff is repeated six times at the end instead of four. Really? Be still my beating heart. "Help" features a different lead vocal from John, "I'm Only Sleeping" sports an alternate array of backwards guitar snippets and "I Am the Walrus" is a combination of two rarer versions edited together. None of these makes for an earth-shaking revelation, exactly, so side one of this sphere of vinyl was a disappointment.

One of the coolest things is found on "Penny Lane." It's got the extra seven-note piccolo trumpet riff at the end that was trimmed off in the final mix. The deal is that after hearing it you'll expect it every time you hear the tune played on the radio because it fits so perfectly and, when it doesn't happen, it will drive you crazy forevermore. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.) And, speaking of nuts with lame excuses, Charlie Manson's favorite number is next, the homicide-inducing-but-otherwise-playful "Helter Skelter." This is a mono mix that takes a few detours from the well-known version but not enough to make much of a difference. The same goes for "Don't Pass Me By." If there's a Beatles song that has gotten less attention than Harrison's weird "The Inner Light" then please share your knowledge. There's a good reason for its obscurity, too. It's a dog, and a mongrel at that. George tries to meld an Indian raga with lyrics inspired by a Japanese poem and he fails miserably. It makes "Why don't we do it in the road" sound like "A Day in the Life" in comparison. The rawer, Spector-less rendition of John's "Across the Universe" is more like what I wanted to hear. It's a much better composition without all the syrupy strings added on. I'll be honest now. "You Know My Name (Look up the Number)" is the real reason I bought this disc. I've always thought it has a charming Monty Python-ish goofiness about it that shows they could have silly fun in the studio and not take themselves so seriously. It has an endearing atmosphere, as well. At two seconds in duration, the "Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove" goes by way too fast for dissection so let's just let it be, shall we?

When the "Yesterday and Today" LP came out in 1966 I rushed out and snatched up a copy. Soon after I heard that the famous "butcher cover" might be hidden underneath the hideous and, frankly, uglier "steamer trunk" photo that graced mine so I amateurishly tried to peel/steam off the overlay as was being suggested. The good news was that I had, indeed, gotten one of the coveted re-covers. The bad news was that I made a mess of the thing in the process of discovery. You can tell it's the real McCoy, alright, but it ain't gonna be fetching a fortune at auction anytime soon if you know what I mean. The compilers of "Rarities" had intended to put said controversial cover on the front of this bloody baby but that idea got shot down by the same breed of stiff, narrow-minded execs at Capitol as 14 years earlier so it ended up being plastered discreetly on the fold out. Much ado about nothing, I say. To the label's credit, though, they did include over 40 unpublished color and black & white photos of the band to round out the nostalgic concept. 8 years later when Apple released the two volumes of "Past Masters" and then in the mid 90s when the three Anthology CDs came out this LP became woefully obsolete and more of a footnote than anything relevant or sought-after. Still, its success shows that the group's undeniable (and profitable) mystique lived on long after they ceased to exist as a working entity. 2.4 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#281782) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 13, 2010

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Rarities (US version)"