RARITIES (US VERSION)

- John Lennon / guitars/ vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass / guitars / vocals
- George Harrison / guitars / vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums / vocals

Thanks to chicapah for the addition

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$18.35
VEE JAY THE BEATLES SONGS, PICTURES AND STORIES US $30.00 [0 bids]
32m 10s
CD: Beatles to Bond & Bach - Martin, George & His Orch - 27/8/13 - Sealed US $20.07 Buy It Now 34m
#2 LOT 6 CAPITOL RUST TEEN SET BEATLES / 1960'S INNER SLEEVES LP RECORD US $4.99 [1 bids]
35m 5s
THE BEATLES FIRST / JAPAN 60'S GRAMMOPHON LAMINATED FLI US $59.99 Buy It Now 35m 22s
THE BEATLES - "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - John Lennon US $2.00 [0 bids]
36m 17s
The Beatles - Revolver VINYL LP NEW/ MINT US $31.47 Buy It Now 41m 2s
GEORGE HARRISON (Ex Beatles( SINGLE MADE IN PORTUGAL 45 PS 7 *crackerbox palace* US $14.99 Buy It Now 42m 23s
#3 LOT 6 CAPITOL OLIVE GREEN BEATLES / 1960'S INNER SLEEVES LP RECORD US $4.99 [0 bids]
42m 35s
LOS MUSTANG - LOS MUSTANG-INTERPRETAN A LOS BEATLES NEW CD US $21.49 Buy It Now 47m 20s
The Beatles Story Super Hits JAPAN CD RARE OOP #34-2 US $18.89 Buy It Now 48m 50s
THE BEATLES LIMITED EDITION RARE PHOTOS & INTERVIEW CD DIGIPAK NUMBERED CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 49m 5s
PAUL Mc CARTNEY VINTAGE 1975 POSTER BEATLES US $0.93 [0 bids]
50m 1s
BEATLES, I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND-Parlophone R5084-1963 Rare Decca Press-EX- US $15.89 Buy It Now 56m 4s
Beatles Collection Vinyl 8 Titles US $85.00 [0 bids]
56m 9s
CAPITOL BEATLES REVOLVER ALBUM ( MONO) US $15.00 [0 bids]
56m 53s
The Beatles: Number 1's Playing Card Deck / Pack - New & Official In Sealed Box US $11.60 Buy It Now 56m 56s
BEATLES SONGBOOK,1967-1970. WORDS & MUSIC, includes Get Back, Penny Lane US $19.88 Buy It Now 58m 47s
THE BEATLES A HARD DAYS NIGHT ORIGINAL FRAMED ALBUM COVER ARTWORK US $49.69 Buy It Now 59m 24s
BEATLES timeless ii 1/2 7" interview pic disc in die cut pic sleeve (sm1451) us US $27.47 Buy It Now 1h
ED SOLOMON Beatle Flying Saucer Orig US 7" Single - Novelty Dr Demento Beatles US $4.95 [0 bids]
Beatles-Magical Mystery Tour-1967 Capitol SMAL 2835 US $10.00 [0 bids]
AMPLIFIED Official Uni-Sex Tee Shirt Various Sizes JOHN LENNON BEATLES WORKING US $38.10 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Meet the Beatles! by The Beatles (Vinyl, Capitol/EMI Records) US $15.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles-Let It Be-7" Vinyl Single-Framed-Wall Clock-Great Gift Idea US $28.98 Buy It Now 1h 7m
#5 LOT 6 CAPITOL TAN BEATLES / 1960'S INNER SLEEVES LP RECORD US $4.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES -THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD - FRENCH 7" P/S US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
BEATLES 1962-1966 LP 26 track double reissue with inners in gatefold sleeve (pcs US $16.55 Buy It Now 1h 15m
BEATLES 1967-1970 LP 28 track double 80's issue in non laminated sleeve (pcsp718 US $24.84 Buy It Now 1h 15m
BEATLES a collection of beatles oldies LP 16 track stereo (fa4130811) wear to to US $13.24 Buy It Now 1h 16m
BEATLES BACH BACHARACH GO BOSSA s/t LP 12 track (mfp5206) uk mfp 1971 US $15.74 Buy It Now 1h 16m
BEATLES beatles first LP 23 track double in union jack sleeve design (2664107) o US $41.41 Buy It Now 1h 17m
BEATLES decca sessions 1/1/62 LP 12 track (top181) european topline 1987 US $19.87 Buy It Now 1h 17m
BEATLES for sale LP 14 track black/yellow mono pressing gatefold with outline mo US $99.41 Buy It Now 1h 17m
BEATLES let it be LP 12 track stereo pressing matrix 3u/3u green apple on back o US $57.98 Buy It Now 1h 17m
BEATLES rarities LP 17 track (1a03806867) sticker tears to front of sleeve dutch US $19.87 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BEATLES revolver LP 14 track mono yellow/black sold in uk text label design matr US $57.98 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Beatles promo post card US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BEATLES rubber soul LP 14 track mono sold in uk text sans serif text label desig US $49.69 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BEATLES A COLLECTION OF OLDIES JAPAN LP w/Apple Green Obi AP-8016 US $23.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
BEATLES sgt peppers lonely hearts club band LP 13 track early 70's black/silver US $41.41 Buy It Now 1h 19m
BEATLES sgt peppers lonely hearts club band LP 13 track stereo 2 box black/silve US $28.15 Buy It Now 1h 19m
BEATLES sgt peppers lonely hearts club band LP 13 track stereo reissue remastere US $36.44 Buy It Now 1h 19m
RINGO STARR BEATLES GENESIS 'PHOTOGRAPH' DELUXE BOOK SIGNED NO. 322/350! BONUS! US $2,413.61 Buy It Now 1h 19m
BEATLES white album LP late 70's reissue in embossed side opening sleeve with ph US $49.69 Buy It Now 1h 20m
The Beatles White Album Lp Red Wax AP-8570 Japanese US $64.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Beatles Anthology 2, Case and Booklet ONLY, Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES McCARTNEY & WINGS LP VENUS MARS W/ 2 POSTERS & STICKERS US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Beatles Beatles For Sale Lp Black Parlophone Pcs-3062 Oop Rare Lp US $42.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Beatles - SGT. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967 vinyl LP. US $41.41 Buy It Now 1h 23m
THE BEATLES YESTERDAY AND TODAY BUTCHER CLEAR MARBRE VINYL REISSUE CAPITOL MINT US $109.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Beatles Decca Audition Tapes Lp US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
I WANT THE BEATLES TO PLAY AT MY ART CENTER / VAR NEW VINYL US $42.11 Buy It Now 1h 26m
The Beatles 66' Lp 1977 Brazil US $42.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
The Beatles On Stage In Japan Lp Oop Rare US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
THE BEATLES 1966 UK REVOLVER LP MONO 606 -1 EXCELLENT EJD SL RIDGED LABELS US $828.53 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Remembering Lennon & The Beatles Vol 1 Sunday Express Newspaper, Promo CD. US $3.30 Buy It Now 1h 29m
BEATLES SONGBOOK,'BEATLES SONGS' WORDS & MUSIC, US $19.88 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Meet the Beatles! by The Beatles (Vinyl, Capitol/EMI Records) US $20.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles Sweet Apple Trax 2lp German Lp Oop Rare US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
The Beatles Texan Troubadours Lp US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
The Beatles Twickenham Jams Lp US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
THE BEATLES_From Me To You_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B2a US $11.16 Buy It Now 1h 34m
The Beatles Anyhology 1,2 And 3 Lp's Oop And Hard To Find Together US $95.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Paul McCartney and Wings [LP] Band on the Run 1973 Apple SO-3415 (BEATLES) US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES_Get Back_Don't Let Me Down_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B2a US $11.16 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Hot As Sun A Tribute To The Beatles Lp US $44.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
THE BEATLES 60's Sheet music A HARD DAY'S NIGHT US $23.20 Buy It Now 1h 40m
The Beatles Hey Jude Obi Oop Rare Lp US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE BEATLES_Hello Goodbye_I Am The Walrus_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B2a US $11.16 Buy It Now 1h 43m
YOkO OnO Never Say Goodbye 12" PROMO Beatles JOHN LENNON Super RARE US $60.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
John Lennon Yoko Ono HEART PLAY Unfinished Dialogue LP 1983 SEALED MINT Beatles US $42.49 Buy It Now 1h 44m
THE BEATLES_I Am The Walrus_Hello Goodbye__used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B2a US $11.16 Buy It Now 1h 45m
ONE 33 RPM RECORD (LP) GREAT SONGS OF THE BEATLES US $2.99 [0 bids]
Beatles on Apple 04353 Germany Let It Be & You Know My Name Stereo US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Rock 'N' Roll Music Vol. 2 by The Beatles (Vinyl, Apr-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $10.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES_Help_I'm Down_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_B2a US $11.16 Buy It Now 1h 48m
THE BEATLES - With A Little Help From My Friends ? typography poster art print US $14.83 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - With A Little Help From My Friends ? typography poster art print US $19.80 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - With A Little Help From My Friends ? typography poster art print US $23.12 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - With A Little Help From My Friends ? typography poster art print US $26.43 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - With A Little Help From My Friends ? typography poster art print US $33.06 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - While My Guitar Gently Weeps ? typography poster art print US $14.83 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - While My Guitar Gently Weeps ? typography poster art print US $19.80 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - While My Guitar Gently Weeps ? typography poster art print US $23.12 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - While My Guitar Gently Weeps ? typography poster art print US $26.43 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - While My Guitar Gently Weeps ? typography poster art print US $33.06 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE BEATLES - When I'm Sixty Four ? song lyrics typography poster art prints US $14.83 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - When I'm Sixty Four ? song lyrics typography poster art prints US $19.80 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - When I'm Sixty Four ? song lyrics typography poster art prints US $23.12 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - When I'm Sixty Four ? song lyrics typography poster art prints US $26.43 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - When I'm Sixty Four ? song lyrics typography poster art prints US $33.06 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - Ticket To Ride ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 US $14.83 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - Ticket To Ride ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 US $19.80 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - Ticket To Ride ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 US $23.12 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - Ticket To Ride ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 US $26.43 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE BEATLES - Ticket To Ride ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 US $33.06 Buy It Now 1h 51m
The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour UK Original Mono Double EP P/S Booklet 1967 US $41.41 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THE BEATLES -24 Carat Gold Disc LP -PLEASE PLEASE ME( Yellow Parlophone Pressing US $323.12 Buy It Now 1h 55m
CAPITOL BEATLES MEET THE BEATLES ( Stereo) fourth variation US $20.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(67%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(0%)

THE BEATLES Rarities (US version) reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars It took a long time for some of us boomers to get over the breakup of The Beatles. Some never did, I suppose, but I finally moved on after suffering through months of withdrawal. The fantastic, anything-goes music that saturated the 70s, especially the spectacular aural art flowing freely from the progressive rock genre, helped me immensely to recover from that particular heartbreak. Yet they were light years from being forgotten. The Fab Four's lengthy shadow stretched across the minds of the musicians of that wild decade and we couldn't help glancing back over our shoulders sometimes to see if there was something that we somehow missed hearing from them. Truth be known, many of my generation who reluctantly grew into adulthood with the likes of "Rubber Soul" and "The White Album" as a backdrop would've been willing to buy a tape of John, Paul, George & Ringo's canine pets farting "Norwegian Wood" in four-part harmony if it went on sale. And, despite the fact that each member seemed to be wholly content to pursue their solo careers, rumors of the quartet miraculously reuniting were as regular as UFO sightings and, thus, hope sprang eternal.

So, in March of 1980, cash-strapped Capitol Records decided to capitalize on the existence of a sizeable Beatle-jonesing consumer group and quietly placed in the record bins "Rarities," an album consisting of tracks that had either never been officially released by that label or not made available on a state-side LP at all, as well as some alternate takes and mixes. An intelligent soul would think that even if an immensely popular group like The Rolling Stones or The Who did such a thing that perhaps a thousand die-hard fans would line up to purchase one. But The Beatles were still sacred bovines in the hearts of the aging flower children gang and this album went gold (half a million units sold) in no time, reaching as high as #21 on the charts, even though there really wasn't anything new about it at all. I must confess, I was one of the multitudes who didn't hesitate to part with my hard-earned cash for it. My overly-optimistic yearning was that somehow, even if for a split second, there would be something included that would recreate the thrill I used to relish every time I heard one of their songs for the first time. Of course, that didn't happen. It was totally unrealistic to think it would so I had to settle for reminiscing about how great the lads from Liverpool were and how lucky I was to have lived in their heyday. You can't re- live the past but you sure can waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Having the Ringo-led version of "Love Me Do" in my possession is nice but it really makes me wonder what the fuss over George Martin's insistence on using session drummer Andy White on the master was all about. Other than not having a tambourine rattling away it sounds the same. "Misery" and "There's a Place" had only been released as 45s previously so they qualified. "Sie Liebt Dich" is "She Loves You" sung in German and I envision Lennon goose-stepping around the studio with his finger under his nose and arm upraised between takes. "And I Love Her" is the first cut to emphasize the sheer eccentricity of this collection as the album descends into the realm of minutiae. Its sole distinction is that Paul's vocal is overdubbed and the guitar riff is repeated six times at the end instead of four. Really? Be still my beating heart. "Help" features a different lead vocal from John, "I'm Only Sleeping" sports an alternate array of backwards guitar snippets and "I Am the Walrus" is a combination of two rarer versions edited together. None of these makes for an earth-shaking revelation, exactly, so side one of this sphere of vinyl was a disappointment.

One of the coolest things is found on "Penny Lane." It's got the extra seven-note piccolo trumpet riff at the end that was trimmed off in the final mix. The deal is that after hearing it you'll expect it every time you hear the tune played on the radio because it fits so perfectly and, when it doesn't happen, it will drive you crazy forevermore. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.) And, speaking of nuts with lame excuses, Charlie Manson's favorite number is next, the homicide-inducing-but-otherwise-playful "Helter Skelter." This is a mono mix that takes a few detours from the well-known version but not enough to make much of a difference. The same goes for "Don't Pass Me By." If there's a Beatles song that has gotten less attention than Harrison's weird "The Inner Light" then please share your knowledge. There's a good reason for its obscurity, too. It's a dog, and a mongrel at that. George tries to meld an Indian raga with lyrics inspired by a Japanese poem and he fails miserably. It makes "Why don't we do it in the road" sound like "A Day in the Life" in comparison. The rawer, Spector-less rendition of John's "Across the Universe" is more like what I wanted to hear. It's a much better composition without all the syrupy strings added on. I'll be honest now. "You Know My Name (Look up the Number)" is the real reason I bought this disc. I've always thought it has a charming Monty Python-ish goofiness about it that shows they could have silly fun in the studio and not take themselves so seriously. It has an endearing atmosphere, as well. At two seconds in duration, the "Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove" goes by way too fast for dissection so let's just let it be, shall we?

When the "Yesterday and Today" LP came out in 1966 I rushed out and snatched up a copy. Soon after I heard that the famous "butcher cover" might be hidden underneath the hideous and, frankly, uglier "steamer trunk" photo that graced mine so I amateurishly tried to peel/steam off the overlay as was being suggested. The good news was that I had, indeed, gotten one of the coveted re-covers. The bad news was that I made a mess of the thing in the process of discovery. You can tell it's the real McCoy, alright, but it ain't gonna be fetching a fortune at auction anytime soon if you know what I mean. The compilers of "Rarities" had intended to put said controversial cover on the front of this bloody baby but that idea got shot down by the same breed of stiff, narrow-minded execs at Capitol as 14 years earlier so it ended up being plastered discreetly on the fold out. Much ado about nothing, I say. To the label's credit, though, they did include over 40 unpublished color and black & white photos of the band to round out the nostalgic concept. 8 years later when Apple released the two volumes of "Past Masters" and then in the mid 90s when the three Anthology CDs came out this LP became woefully obsolete and more of a footnote than anything relevant or sought-after. Still, its success shows that the group's undeniable (and profitable) mystique lived on long after they ceased to exist as a working entity. 2.4 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#281782) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 13, 2010

Post a review of THE BEATLES "Rarities (US version)"