WHEN THE SWEET TURNS SOUR

Buy ECHOLYN Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. 100 Diversions (7:10)
2. Another Day (3:29)
3. Where The Sour Turns To Sweet (4:59)
4. Meaning And The Moment (4:49)
5. The Currents Of Me (7:25)
6. Patchwork (3:31)
7. This Time Alone (9:09)
8. A Little Nonsense(live) (7:07)
9. As The World(live) (6:56)

Search ECHOLYN When The Sweet Turns Sour lyrics

Search ECHOLYN When The Sweet Turns Sour tabs

- Christopher Buzby / keyboards, backing vocals
- Tom Hyatt / basses, MIDI pedals
- Brett Kull / guitars, lead & backing vocals
- Paul Ramsey / drums & percussion
- Ray Weston / lead & backing vocals, bass on "100 Diversions"

CD Syn-Phonic SYNCD 15 (1996) USA
CD Cyclops CYCL 036 (1996) UK

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

ECHOLYN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ECHOLYN When The Sweet Turns Sour Music

Echolyn / Stars & Gardens DVD US $37.40 Buy It Now 2 days
ECHOLYN - MEI NEW CD US $26.82 Buy It Now 4 days
ECHOLYN - STARS & GARDENS NEW DVD US $59.08 Buy It Now 5 days
Echolyn - Mei [CD New] US $19.26 Buy It Now 5 days
Echolyn - Echolyn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $30.07 Buy It Now 5 days
ECHOLYN - THE END IS BEAUTIFUL NEW CD US $26.82 Buy It Now 5 days
Echolyn - Mei CD Pop Rock US $22.86 Buy It Now 6 days
ECHOLYN PROMO CD (AS THE WORLD) 1994 EPIC CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
As the World by Echolyn (CD, Mar-1995, Epic (USA)) US $11.69 Buy It Now 9 days
ECHOLYN - AS THE WORLD NEW CD US $31.26 Buy It Now 10 days
ECHOLYN / CHRIS BUZBY - FINNEUS GAUGE: ONE INCH OF THE FALL NEW CD US $26.82 Buy It Now 11 days
Echolyn - As The World [CD New] US $22.98 Buy It Now 11 days
Echolyn - The End Is Beautiful CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 12 days
VA PROG IN USA CD Glass Hammer ECHOLYN Metaphor NEW Previously unreleased songs US $9.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Echolyn - As The World CD Pop Rock US $26.67 Buy It Now 12 days
Echolyn - Suffocating The Bloom [CD New] US $19.29 Buy It Now 12 days
ECHOLYN - SUFFOCATING THE BLOOM NEW CD US $26.82 Buy It Now 12 days
ECHOLYN Cowboy Poems Free CD 2000/2008 Remix/Remast PROG Sealed USA US $15.99 Buy It Now 15 days
ECHOLYN Suffocating the Bloom CD PROG Sealed US $15.99 Buy It Now 15 days
ECHOLYN The End is Beautiful CD PROG 2005 Sealed US $15.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Echolyn - Suffocating The Bloom CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 15 days
Echolyn - End Is Beautiful [CD New] US $19.31 Buy It Now 16 days
Echolyn As the World cd new US $42.49 Buy It Now 17 days
ECHOLYN - COWBOY POEMS FREE NEW CD US $26.82 Buy It Now 17 days
As the World - Echolyn (Cassette 1995) NEW in Shrink! US $8.70 Buy It Now 18 days
Echolyn - Cowboy Poems Free [CD New] US $19.26 Buy It Now 18 days
As World - Echolyn New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $32.88 Buy It Now 20 days
Echolyn Buzby Chris - Finneus Gauge: One Inch Of The Fall CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 21 days
Echolyn - Cowboy Poems Free CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 22 days
Mei - Echolyn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $27.29 Buy It Now 22 days
Echolyn/Buzby - Finneus Gauge: One Inch Of The Fall [CD New] US $19.29 Buy It Now 22 days
Finneus Gauge: One Inch of the Fall by Echolyn/Chris Buzby (CD, Aug-2004, CD... US $16.33 Buy It Now 22 days
Suffocating the Bloom by Echolyn (CD, Aug-2004, CD Baby (distributor)) US $16.32 Buy It Now 22 days
Cowboy Poems Free by Echolyn (CD, Jan-2009, CD Baby (distributor)) US $16.33 Buy It Now 22 days
LAND OF CHOCOLATE - REGAINING THE FEEL NEW ECHOLYN FINNEUS GAUGE US $14.20 Buy It Now 23 days
Suffocating the Bloom - Echolyn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $27.29 Buy It Now 25 days
Cowboy Poems Free - Echolyn New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $27.29 Buy It Now 25 days
As the World by Echolyn (CD, Mar-1995, Epic (USA)) US $29.99 Buy It Now 25 days
End Is Beautiful - Echolyn New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $27.29 Buy It Now 27 days
ECHOLYN - "As The World" CD 1995 1st US PROMO + BIO - ORIG (Sony 550 Music) US $24.88 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy ECHOLYN music online Buy ECHOLYN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ECHOLYN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ECHOLYN When The Sweet Turns Sour ratings distribution

ECHOLYN When The Sweet Turns Sour reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars typical mid-90's US prog with a big sound (à la Magellan , Shadow Gallery or Cairo , but sounding more like Spock's Beard also) if you are into that stuff. Doesn't do much for me . As I discovered all these US band at the same time in the mid 90's , I had problems differentiating them from each other, so this has been lost on me.

In itself, the record is impeccably made with an impressive amount of work, but really I find that the album has no clear focus, and seem to head in no particular direction. Later on , other bands as Spock or Somnanbulist will give me the same problem.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#1847) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Review by loserboy
4 stars Without a question ECHOLYN were an incredible band who produced 4 superb albums which are far too hidden from the world's ears. "When The Sweet Turns Sour" is really a collection of lost , unfinished and live tracks giving us one last supper at Bridge Mgmt headquarters. For those not overly familiar with this band, ECHOLYN blended the vocal and harmonic sophistication of GENTLE GIANT with the crashing and booming brilliance of SPOCK'S BEARD.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#1848) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 15, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars It's always been very hard for me to write reviews about Echolyn. This is merely due to the limitations that I face with respect to references to other artists or bands about their music. When I first purchased this CD sometime in 1999 direct from Malcolm of Cyclops (the label) I thought that I would get a kind of Genesis cover band as this album title is exactly the same with Genesis' debut album song. To my surprise, it's totally different kind of music - it's a blend of rock, fusion and avant-garde. All elements and styles merge beautifully in Echolyn's music. I have observed so far that most of Echolyn's music are not melodic. However, it does not necessary mean not enjoyable because, in fact, most Echolyn's compositions are excellent - combining complex arrangements, high energy and frequent tempo changes. I would say that Echolyn's music is original. There might be bit influences from bands like Gentle Giant - especially on choirs part, Hatfield and The North, National Health or Caravan. But it's not really obvious influences as far as my ears can detect.

The reason I grabbed this CD that I rarely touched anymore after couple of spins in the year of purchase was because of my astonishment watching the band's live DVD "Stars and Gardens" that for me was a fabulous performance. The day after, I grabbed all the studio albums available at my collection and spinning them all the whole day yesterday, including this album. This CD contains professionally recorded "working" versions of unreleased songs and two live cuts from the band's shows September 3, 1995, which was performed in North California. The "working" version of a song was used to feel out the instrumentation with the vocals.

All tracks featured in this CD are excellent and favor my personal taste. The album opener 100 Diversions (7:10) characterizes what has become the trademark of Echolyn music: fusion packed, floating vocals sung together by members (Kull, Weston and Buzby - most of the time), dynamic drumming, inventive basslines, innovative keyboard work. This kind of style is similar with Finneus Gauge's music - Echolyn's transition band. Another Day (3:29) brings the music into more complex textures during opening with brilliant keyboard work followed with guitar that accompany voice line. Sometimes the choir reminds me to Gentle Giant - even though it's totally different musically. It's an excellent track. Where The Sour Turns To Sweet (4:59) as you know is the band's interpretation of Genesis's song from debut album "From Genesis to Revelation". Wow! I like this version very much. I have never imagined that this originally simple song can be re-arranged by the band into Echolyn's style with accentuated piano work and different beats. I do enjoy this track. The band said that this old Genesis song redone in the summer of 1995 for a tribute album, unfortunately SONY would not allow Echolyn's contribution. Pity. This is GREAT arrangement that should have been included in The SUPPER's READY tribute to Genesis. I'm sure.

The opening part of The Currents Of Me (7:25) clicks me to a Gentle Giant sort of beat - but it's not really as the keyboard sound of Buzby is so specific of him. The choirs are also wonderful and have characterized the music of Echolyn. Patchwork (3:31) can be considered as full jazz exploration by the band with great piano work that serves as main rhythm section. This Time Alone (9:09) is truly an attractive track with great guitar work, powerful vocals and dynamic drumming.

Of significant importance is the featured live cuts at the last two tracks of this CD. A Little Nonsense (7:07) starts off wonderfully with powerful choirs followed with inventive piano, dynamic drumming and inventive basslines. When Weston starts to sing the music turns into more energetic style. It has a lot of changing tempos. The bass guitar solo followed with machine-gun drumming and stunning guitar solo in the middle really rule! It's completely cool man ..Believe me, this live track is so attractive to enjoy! It's rocking too. As The World (6:56) is by design an energetic and complex song with weird but wonderful vocal line augmented by bass and percussion. It flows dynamically with high energy and frequent tempo changes, mostly in fast speed. When I watched the band performed in the DVD - this track was performed flawlessly. The keyboard solo, guitar solo are all stunning!

Highly recommended. Echolyn rules! Keep on proggin'..!

Progressively yours,

GW - Review #309

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#35346) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 05, 2005

Review by NJprogfan
3 stars Can't say that I blame the baby on the cover. Echolyn are a remarkable US band, and the songs on this album were the last one written and recorded, (with all the bugs not ironed out) before they broke up. It's pretty much a mixed bag with most songs heavy on the lyrics, (which are superb as usual) but light on the solos. Since the songs are not produced, there's a sameyness to them, (to these ears at least). The exception is the title track which is a remake of the old chestnut by GENESIS. I like this version more for the simple fact that it's NOT as over-produced as the original. The main reason to purchase this album is for the last two tracks, live renditions of "A Little Nonsense" and "As The World". Both were taped at their last live performance before the infamous breakup. If you're a fan of the band, this would be a decent purchase if only for the two live tracks. For those looking into purchasing an album by the band, I would go with something else. It's not as bad as two stars but nowhere near four. So three sounds right.

Send comments to NJprogfan (BETA) | Report this review (#79532) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 27, 2006

Review by progrules
2 stars About a decade ago this album was one of my "blind picks". I had no idea what Echolyn was like, it was one of the better known bands at that time, so I bought this one. In the banddescription the comparison with Gentle Giant is made and rightly so, there is some resemblance especially in the vocal aspect. Alas I don't like it. I think these kind of vocals are ugly, there's no melody or nice tune there, they just produce sound. It's the same with the instrumental music more or less although they prove with "A little nonsense" that they do know what a nice guitarsolo is like, unfortunately it's the only piece somewhat worthwhile for my liking. So two stars only

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#141278) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 01, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This fourth « Echolyn » album is by far not their best one.

If you are looking for great synth parts, gorgeous guitar break, emotional vocals: well; this is not the album you should listen to. The first (and last?) great song is the excellent "Meaning and the Moment" during which you can almost find the ingredients I have mentioned before (except for the synths).

The most crafted "instrument" is globally the vocal department; but the "Gentle Giant" filiation is often too marked and might sound somewhat regressive in comparison with the original. Still, the overall mood is fine; the execution of the music is outstanding. But I'm lacking emotion and passion.

The more I listen to this band, the more I believe that they should better sit in the eclectic section of this site. Complex music, intricate vocal arrangements, mixing of musical styles (but deeply investigating the jazzy one) are "Echolyn" ingredients you can discover all the way through their albums.

As a whole, this work doesn't turn so sour. But it isn't that sweet either. Even if the intro part of "This Time Alone" might hold these aspects (sweet I mean). At the end of the day, this album contains "working" versions of unreleased songs (referred as such on the back cover). And two live tracks.

It is certainly not the album to start with if you are willing to investigate into this good band. "Suffocating the Bloom" is by far a better entry IMHHO.

Three stars for this one.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#285147) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 05, 2010

3 stars This is generally considered to be ECHOLYN's weakest album and there is a reason for that.The band had broken up after "As The World" so this album which was released the following year was really a posthumous release. It consists of finished tracks, demos and live tunes. Overall it's surprisingly good although not more than 3 stars good in my opinion. It's just that I do enjoy it.

"100 Diversions" builds quickly as the vocals arrive.The organ and drums are prominant as they come and go. Piano leads 3 minutes in. It settles 6 minutes in with piano, guitar and drums standing out. Good song. "Another Day" is guitar and vocal led. "When The Sour Turns To Sweet" is actually a cover of a GENESIS track from their debut. Piano and snapping fingers to open followed by reserved vocals. It kicks in before a minute but settles again quickly with vocals. It picks up 2 minutes in. Fun section. Themes are repeated.

"Morning And The Moment" opens with strummed guitar as vocals join in. Some nice harmonies here. "The Currents Of Me" is impressive early instrumentally. I really like it. Vocals before a minute. The tempo continues to shift on this one. "Patchwork" opens with guitar, piano and drums but it settles quickly with vocals. I like the tasteful guitar 3 minutes in. "This Time Alone" opens with piano. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. This is great. Powerful stuff. It settles back before 4 minutes. I like the synths that follow too. Themes are repeated. This is my favourite tune on here. "A Little Nonsense" and "as The World" are live tracks from ProgDay 95.

So certainly not essential but fans will enjoy this i'm sure.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#290376) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars This album is a collection of demos, alternate takes, live tracks and such, released by Echolyn after the band appeared to be broken up for good (thankfully that wasn't so) after getting screwed by those wonderful people at Sony. As such, you can expect it to be uneven. But since this is Echolyn, although it is uneven, it is highly entertaining.

I've always preferred the more high energy songs from this band over the low key, and, thankfully, nearly all of this collection fits that description. The only low key songs are Meaning And The Moment an alternate version, but not as good as the track from the debut album, and Where The Sour Turns To Sweet a cover, and improvement to a song from Genesis' first album.

Most of the songs do not sound as polished as the ones on the official studio albums, but there is still that Echolyn style of writing and arranging, that shows intricate interplay between all of the instruments and vocal parts. And don't miss the two live tracks at the end, either.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#308082) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 03, 2010

2 stars This one is tough to review since it is a rarities collection, consisting of demos, covers, and alternate/live versions of previously released tracks, and not a proper album per se. I would probably consider it my least favorite album of the group. Sour seems to be a good word to describe the ... (read more)

Report this review (#87625) | Posted by JP312 | Friday, August 18, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a remarkably good odds and sods album which was envisioned as the posthumous goodbye from this band after they broke up following the As the World tour. -100 Diversions, Currents of Me, and This Time Alone are demos from the writing sessions of the never finished fourth echolyn studio alb ... (read more)

Report this review (#1849) | Posted by beterdedthnred4 | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ECHOLYN "When The Sweet Turns Sour"