THE SINGLES COLLECTION VOLUME 3

Buy QUEEN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2010

CD1:
1. It's A Hard Life
2. Is This The World We Created?

CD2:
1. Hammer To Fall (Edit)
2. Tear It Up

CD3:
1. Thank God It's Christmas
2. Man On The Prowl
3. Keep Passing The Open Windows

CD4:
1. One Vision (Single Version)
2. Blurred Vision

CD5:
1. A Kind Of Magic
2. A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling

CD6:
1. Friends Will Be Friends
2. Princes Of The Universe

CD7:
1. Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Remix)
2. Don't Lose Your Head

CD8:
1. Who Wants To Live Forever
2. Forever (Piano Version)

CD9:
1. One Year Of Love
2. Gimme The Prize (Kurgens Theme)

CD10:
1. I Want It All (Single Version)
2. Hang On In There

- Roger Taylor/ drums, vocals, synthesisers
- John Deacon / bass, guitars, sythesisers

An EMI/Parlophone release on May 31st, 2010
Limited Edition CD box set, containing 13 CD singles covering years 1984 - 1989

Thanks to Lizzy for the addition

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 Music

News of the World [Vinyl]News of the World [Vinyl]
Collector's Edition
FONTANA HOLLYWOOD 2009
Vinyl$7.99
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set · Remastered
Hollywood Records 2002
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits: We Will Rock You EditionGreatest Hits: We Will Rock You Edition
Remastered · Special Edition
Hollywood Records 2004
QUEEN Friends Will Be Friends/Seven Seas of Rhye 7" 45rpm PHILIPPINES Pressing US $25.00 Buy It Now 38m 50s
Smiths / Queen Is Dead (rmst) Vinyl LP US $27.51 Buy It Now 39m 42s
Sentimiento by Ivy Queen (CD, Mar-2007, Univision Records) US $9.98 Buy It Now 39m 46s
Elizabeth I - The Virgin Queen (2 DVDs) [Import allemand] US $57.07 Buy It Now 41m 39s
Queen: A Kind Of Magic Cassette VG++ Canada Capitol 4XAS-12476 US $14.99 Buy It Now 42m 8s
Queen: Live Killers Cassette VG++ Canada Hollywood 96 10664 US $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 11s
Rare Jackson 5 Queen Smokie MusicGirl Singapore Peter Frampton Cover 12" ELP1952 US $24.99 [0 bids]
47m 32s
RARE GARAGE WITH HEAVY FUZZ-DENNY EZBA'S GOLD-QUEEN MARY US $9.99 [0 bids]
52m 58s
8EIGHT / 4MEN - Man Of Inhyeon Queen OST (Korea TVN Drama) CD NEW SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 54m 8s
Blueprints From The Cellar/At The Queen Elizabeth Hall US $23.20 Buy It Now 59m 8s
Spem In Alium / Music For Queen Elizabeth Tallis / Chappelle D CD US $7.77 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Queen Mbilia Bel CD US $16.10 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Queen Rock Montreal Queen UK DVD EREDV644 EAGLE VISION Sealed 2007 US $29.82 Buy It Now 1h 8m
QUEEN - DAY AT THE RACES D/Rem CD FREDDIE MERCURY *NEW* US $27.79 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Queen Latifah - Nature Of A Sista (1997) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Neurosonic - Drama Queen (2007) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 12m
PROMO WHITE LABEL JAPAN OBI CLASH WHO PAUL WINGS QUEEN US $149.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
QUEEN LIVE RARE BRAZIL ONLY LP ROCK IN RIO NM! US $24.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN Thank God It's Christmas RARE BRAZIL LP NM! US $24.99 [0 bids]
Queen - News of the World - Elektra 6E-112 (Canada) 1977 VG+ / VG+ US $11.37 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Queen ?- Queen II - WEA EKS 75082 (Canada) 1974 VG+ / EX US $35.06 Buy It Now 1h 25m
QUEEN - "Crazy Little Thing....." - 7" Single 1979 1st US WL PROMO - Stereo/Mono US $21.88 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Queen Pen - My Melody Edited (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Swamp Boogie Queen - Gotten Booty (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 32m
A Teens - Dancing Queen (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 33m
80's TOP OF THE TOPS PARTY ALBUM 2LP BBC LYNOTT,HARDCASTLE,QUEEN,BLONDIE,CCS US $14.99 [0 bids]
SHANG KUAN PING NIGHT QUEEN JINGO LP SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
QUEEN KILLERS LIVE 2 X LP 1979 WITH INNERS GATEFOLD BB-702 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall * by Scaffold (The)... US $12.35 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Loverboy - Queen Of The Broken Hearts / Chance Of A Lifetime 45 1983 VG / VG+ US $1.29 Buy It Now 2h 2m
QUEEN PEN ~ All My Love ~ 12" Single USA PRESS PROMO US $7.55 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Queen of Country Music Kitty Wells CD 723721213954 US $4.58 Buy It Now 2h 3m
To My Queen Revisited Walt Dickerson CD US $16.86 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Queen Of The Flute Jane Rutter CD US $27.51 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Super Eurobeat Vol.172 - Japan CD - NEW JUNGLE BILL QUEEN 26 MARTINA DRY ALEXIS US $26.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
QUEEN THE MIRACLE SEALED UNIQUE SLEEVE OFFICIAL EMI ECUADOR LP BREAKTHRU SCANDAL US $219.52 Buy It Now 2h 5m
QUEEN GREATEST HITS RARE ORIGINAL 1981 ORIG BALKANTON GERMAN PICTURE DISC 12" US $420.36 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Abbacadabra - Dancing Queen / Fernando 12" US $30.26 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Dini/ Childrens Petty - Queen The The Bear And The B (2001) - Used - Compac US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 17m
QUEEN radio ga hard life i wont to break free RARE PROMO FREE FLEXI ISRAEL US $46.75 Buy It Now 2h 24m
CORONATION OF HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II / VAR NEW CD US $24.27 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Kaya Queen Marie Antoinette Japan Visual Kei MUSIC CD NEW US $57.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
QUEEN - ORB USB BOX NEW NA US $455.36 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Queen A Night At The Opera Personalised Birthday Greetings Anniversary Card E39 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Freddie Mercury Queen Personalised Birthday Card M24 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Freddie Mercury Queen Personalised Birthday Card M22 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Art Of Noise, The Ft Mahlathini & Mahotella Queen 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Queen The Works Personalised Birthday Greetings Anniversary Thank You Card E46 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Queen Personalised Birthday / Greetings / Get Well Card Q8 US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Queen - Pre Ordained (2011) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.31 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Aretha Franklin - Queen Of Soul Live In Chi (2011) - Used - Compact Disc US $9.27 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Queen - Queen (CD) - 24HR POST!!! US $12.59 Buy It Now 2h 53m
LEGENDS-2 CD SET-2003 AUSTRALIA-MONKEES-TOTO-QUEEN-AUSTRALIAN CRAWL-COLD CHISEL US $11.20 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Band Of The Life Guards, The - The Queen's Silver Jubilee LP US $13.87 Buy It Now 3h 4m
QUEEN-A NIGHT AT THE OPERA-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 3h 8m
VERY RARE QUEEN 1986 WEMBLEY ARENA WESTWOOD ONE RADIO CONCERT SERIES #94-15 US $19.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN The Miracle 13 trx CD Japan OBI RARE EARLY 1994 TOCP-8311 - BRIAN MAY US $12.50 [0 bids]
Queen - Classic Queen (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $3.90 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Beautiful South Queen's Gardens B-Sides 1989 - 1997 4 CD Box Set US $19.95 [0 bids]
Queen at the Beeb Japanes MiniLP CD US $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Little Queen/Dog & Butterfly Heart CD US $10.01 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Mary Queen of Scots and her Hopless Husbands,The Daily Telegraph NewsPaper,Prom US $3.34 Buy It Now 3h 34m
THE QUEEN SYMPHONY CD KASHIF EMI (2002) US $15.11 Buy It Now 3h 40m
BEVERLEY KNIGHT PROMO CD QUEEN OF STARTING OVER & PRESS INFO SHEET EX US $4.50 Buy It Now 3h 45m
QUEEN-THE MIRACLE-JAPAN SHM-SACD LTD K25 US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
FREDDIE MERCURY (Queen) - 1991 Double Page Magazine Poster US $7.56 Buy It Now 3h 52m
QUEEN GREATEST HITS RARE ISRAELI CASSETTE HEBREW COVER US $10.20 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FREDDIE MERCURY (Queen) - Magazine Poster US $7.56 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FREDDIE MERCURY (Queen) - 1991 Magazine Poster US $7.56 Buy It Now 3h 54m
DAVID BOWIE - REBEL REBEL - QUEEN BITCH - 1973 RCA AUS 7" 45 EXCELLENT CONDITION US $9.25 [1 bids]
Queen + Adam Lambert North America Live Tour 2014 F2 Tee T - Shirt S M L XL Size US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
THE SMITHS - CASSETTE - THE QUEEN IS DEAD US $22.41 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Queen Greatest Hits Vol.2 CD Brand New & Factory Sealed US $10.07 Buy It Now 3h 59m
queen - c-lebrity cardsleeve maxi cd new US $12.75 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Queen Latifah - Dana Owens Album (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Judith Edelman - Drama Queen (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Ivy Queen - Real (R) (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 4m
QUEEN FRIDGE MAGNET US $3.78 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Croatan - Curse Of The Red Queen (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Priscilla:queen of the Desert (ocr) - Artists Various New & Sealed CD US $23.20 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Prince, Ce Ce Peniston, R. Kelly, Queen Latifah, Incognito - Blues US $11.14 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Mr Bad Guy - Freddie Mercury (Queen) 1985 Japan CD 1ST ISSUE *EXTREMELY RARE* US $120.51 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Queen MADE IN HEAVEN UK import cd US $0.88 [0 bids]
Tchaikovsky The QUEEN OF SPADES MELODIYA BOX 3 LP M 10-05801-06 Ermler conductor US $39.00 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Nanette Workman: The Queen / Save Me 7" 45 NM Canada Big Tree BTS 16065 US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Greg Russell & And Ciaran Algar - The Queen's Lover (NEW CD) US $18.05 Buy It Now 4h 47m
QUEEN AYACODOBAE Earth Blessings Just A Little More Love is All We Need CD US $4.19 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Robyn Hitchcock Queen Elvis Us Lp US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
QUEEN MOTHER RAGE Slipping Into Darkness 12" PS PROMO US $6.71 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Queen - The Works - Polish Release 1992 US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 57m
MONDO ROCK The Queen And Me / Domination 1982 P/S 7" NM US $9.34 Buy It Now 5h
Chace - Soul Queen 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 5h
THE SMITHS THE QUEEN IS DEAD LAMINATED MINI POSTER US $5.03 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Donizetti,G. - Mary Stuart Queen Of Scots [CD New] US $15.09 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Stan Tracey Quartet 1973 Queen Elizabeth Hall concert Flyer US $36.98 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Good The Bad & The Queen - Good The Bad & The Queen: Limited [CD New] US $7.47 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Wagon - Beauty Angel Queen new and sealed CD US $4.20 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Happy & Glorious HM Queen Mother 100th Birthday Cassette Tape - TESTED US $8.07 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Ivy Queen - Diva Platinum Edition (2004) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Henry Purcell - The Indian Queen - Scholars Baroque Ensemble US $3.27 Buy It Now 5h 16m

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Hang on in there!

Here is the third singles box set from one of my all time favourite bands. Just like the previous two, this third box set contains 13 discs which are CD versions of another 13 of the band's original singles. The first box set of the series covered the period from 1973 to 1978, the second box covered the years 1979 to 1984 and now this third one covers the years 1984 to 1989. Interestingly, the singles taken from The Works album were split over the second and third installments of this series with Radio Ga Ga and I Want To Break Free making the second box, while It's A Hard Life and Hammer To Fall taken from that same album were held back to be included in the present box set. The reason for this is not quite clear but I guess it has a lot to do with the apparent obsession with having each box set contain exactly 13 singles - no more, no less. Apart from these two singles taken from The Works, this third volume in the singles collection series contains the singles from the A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle albums, as well as the Christmas song Thank God It's Christmas that was never featured on any album. This Christmas song was released only as a single in 1985, in between the releases of The Works and A Kind Of Magic albums. Since the 1989 album The Miracle was not Queen's last album, we should expect a fourth singles box set in the future covering the very successful singles released from the Innuendo and Made In Heaven albums in the 90's. (It has been officially stated that a fourth box will eventually appear, so I'm not just speculating here).

As I noted in my review for box #2, Queen was always both an albums band and a singles band. However, when they first started out in the early 70's they leaned heavily towards being an albums band, even if they did release singles even back then. As time progressed, though, they became more and more of a singles band, topping the charts and giving a bit less attention to their albums as such - they often felt more like collections of their recent singles with a couple of less interesting songs (but there are exceptions, of course). While masterpiece albums like Queen II and A Night At The Opera clearly work best when they are heard in their entirety, as they are supposed to be, albums like The Works and A Kind Of Magic could certainly benefit from a more selective listening. Especially the latter, which is one of the most uneven albums in Queen history, with the highest highs imaginable as well as a few merely decent tracks. I'm thinking, of course, of such brilliant tracks as Who Wants To Live Forever (an absolute masterpiece of a song, in my opinion!) and the marvelous Princes Of The Universe. And on the same album you find such weak tracks as Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, Don't Lose Your Head and, perhaps worst of all, One Year Of Love. (I still the album highly, becasue the great tracks are several and truly excellent).

What is most interesting of all is that every track from the A Kind Of Magic album was released as either an A-side or a B-side of a single! This means that all of the nine tracks from that album are included in this box (in some form or other)! The opportunity to offer a more selective look at this uneven album and highlight the best tracks is thus lost as it is all here! However, the single version of Pain Is So Close To Pleasure is a remix and slightly different from the album version. But how on earth songs like Pain Is So Close To Pleasure and One Year Of Love could be released as singles in the first place is beyond me! On a negative note, I must point out that some of these single A-sides are edited versions, the album versions are thus generally strongly preferable. The aforementioned Who Wants To Live Forever is sadly a such edited "single version".

On a positive note, those who only own the A Kind Of Magic album might not have the other three non-album B-sides from its singles that are featured here: Blurred Vision (B-side to One Vision) and A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling (B-side to A Kind Of Magic) and Forever (B-side to Who Wants To Live Forever). These three are all instrumentals, but while the latter is a wonderful piano piece based on the same melody as its A-side, Blurred Vision is basically an instrumental "Dance" remix of One Vision! A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling too is a Kraftwerk-like remix of Don't Lose Your Head from the same album (also featured in this box). It is very interesting for a hard core fan like myself to hear just how diverse this great band were, but for the casual listener or moderate fan these non-album B-sides are hardly essential. It should be noted that Forever was actually featured as a bonus track on the CD version of the A Kind Of Magic album - so, if you own that album on CD already, you have one less reason to invest in this (presumably expensive - I have heard it only on Spotify) box set.

The three earlier singles, the two taken from The Works and the Christmas single, also offers very little of interest for someone who already own The Works. The single version of Hammer To Fall is, again, an edited version inferior to the album version and the Christmas song itself is not very much to my liking! The B-sides to these three singles were all taken from The Works album, so with the exception of the rather lame Thank God It's Christmas (I never liked Christmas songs!), if you already own The Works, you actually get less, not more here (due to the edited song), than what you already have on that album! It's A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? are definitely good songs, but Tear It Up, Man On The Prowl and Keep On Passing The Open Windows, are among the least good songs from The Works (which is not a very strong Queen album in the first place despite some very good moments). Needless to say, I much prefer hearing the album over the singles taken from it by themselves and the same goes for A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle.

The singles taken from The Miracle are, thankfully, a bit more interesting, offering more and stronger non-album material. However, the best song here by far - the excellent Hang On In There - was already featured as a bonus track on The Miracle CD. This leaves Stealin', Hijack My Heart and My Life Has Been Saved. The latter is familiar to those who own the Made In Heaven album, but this is the original version. Stealin' reminds me a little bit of the early 70's non-album B-side See What A Fool I've Been (featured in singles box set #1) and is not really that good, in my opinion. Hijack My Heart is a Roger Taylor song with him on lead vocals and it is a good one even if hardly essential.

All this might seem like pretty hard criticism, but this third singles box set is actually the best and most interesting of the three Queen singles boxes that have been released so far! The most important advantage of box #3 over the previous two is that while box #1 contained only one non-album b-side and #2 contained three, this third box features eight non-album tracks. Granted, many of those interested are likely to already have two of these songs as bonus tracks on CD's and another two are basically "remixes" or alternate versions of songs that already appeared on albums rather than fully new songs. But this still leaves enough good non-album material to make this box set worthwhile, or at least more worthwhile than the previous two singles boxes. Non-album B-sides like Stealin' and Hijack My Heart are, to my knowledge at least, not available anywhere else on CD. I would certainly prefer to have all the non-album tracks released on a single disc instead of these massive box sets, but I'm very glad that these previously unavailable songs are finally released on CD.

For anyone who is not a major Queen fan, however, I would certainly recommend sticking with the albums. These box sets are, after all, aimed primarily at fans and collectors. Any fan of the band will want to have the albums from which these singles were taken anyway, and those beginners looking for an introductory compilation album will not want to buy an expensive box set just to get an insight into Queen's late 80's period (but rather go for the much cheaper compilation album Greatest Hits II or their DVD counterparts that feature many of these same songs).

If you don't have the studio albums from which these singles were taken, buy them now! If you already have these studio albums, you might not feel the need to buy these singles box sets. But if you do, this third box is strongly preferable to the previous two in virtue of offering a higher quantity of non-album material. Better and more interesting for sure, but still primarily recommended for fans and collectors. The best and most Prog-relevant tracks are the excellent Who Wants To Live Forever, Princes Of The Universe and Hang On In There, but all of these three are better available elsewhere.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#285548) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Post a review of QUEEN "The Singles Collection Volume 3"