THE SINGLES COLLECTION VOLUME 3

Buy QUEEN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2010

CD1:
1. It's A Hard Life
2. Is This The World We Created?

CD2:
1. Hammer To Fall (Edit)
2. Tear It Up

CD3:
1. Thank God It's Christmas
2. Man On The Prowl
3. Keep Passing The Open Windows

CD4:
1. One Vision (Single Version)
2. Blurred Vision

CD5:
1. A Kind Of Magic
2. A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling

CD6:
1. Friends Will Be Friends
2. Princes Of The Universe

CD7:
1. Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Remix)
2. Don't Lose Your Head

CD8:
1. Who Wants To Live Forever
2. Forever (Piano Version)

CD9:
1. One Year Of Love
2. Gimme The Prize (Kurgens Theme)

CD10:
1. I Want It All (Single Version)
2. Hang On In There

- Roger Taylor/ drums, vocals, synthesisers
- John Deacon / bass, guitars, sythesisers

An EMI/Parlophone release on May 31st, 2010
Limited Edition CD box set, containing 13 CD singles covering years 1984 - 1989

Thanks to Lizzy for the addition

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 Music

Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)
Hollywood Records 2014
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
Vinyl$14.19
Queen "Innuendo" US $6.55 [0 bids]
30m 22s
Queen - Greatest Hits NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 30m 22s
Shizuko Kasagi - Queen of the Tokyo Boogie-Woogie JAPAN CD 16trk 1992 COCA-10329 US $25.52 Buy It Now 31m 31s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_AUTUMN_94 US $18.70 Buy It Now 36m 58s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_WINTER_94 US $18.70 Buy It Now 40m 5s
QUEEN AT THE BEEB 1973 JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen TECP 1ST PRESS US $69.99 Buy It Now 40m 32s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_SUMMER_94 US $18.70 Buy It Now 42m 25s
Queen Kat, Carmel & St Jude - Scarce OZ compilation CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 43m 53s
Switches , Audio CD, Drama Queen / Message From Yuz / No Hero US $6.28 Buy It Now 46m 53s
MUSE The resistance CD card sleeve art rock ffo queen US $3.30 [0 bids]
47m 13s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_SPRING_95 US $18.70 Buy It Now 47m 38s
THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT - SOUNDTRACK - 19 TRACK CD, US $4.67 Buy It Now 47m 38s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_SUMMER_95 US $18.70 Buy It Now 49m 31s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_AUTUMN_97 US $18.70 Buy It Now 52m 58s
Official International Queen Fan Club__used MAGAZINE_AUTUMN_2000 US $18.70 Buy It Now 56m 1s
Queen Classic Queen (CD, Mar-1992, 1 Disc) US $8.99 Buy It Now 56m 24s
Queen-bohemian rhapsody.7" japanese US $33.16 Buy It Now 57m 5s
Queen - Innuendo 2011 Re-Mastered (NEW CD) US $21.12 Buy It Now 57m 8s
QUEEN - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA ; Rare 2004 D/R Japanese Ltd MVLP CD - New US $60.17 Buy It Now 1h 4m
EURYTHMICS - The King and Queen of America JAPAN CD 4-Trk 1990 BVCP-9002 US $23.90 Buy It Now 1h 5m
BILLY OCEAN - Caribbean Queen - Excellent Condition 7" Single JIVE 77 US $6.62 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Queen Breakthru' Parlophone ?- QUEEN PD 11 SHAPED Vinyl picture disc US $32.80 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Jazz Music - Queen Latifah CD - Trav'lin' Light (2007) US $4.03 Buy It Now 1h 12m
MODERN ROMANCE - Queen Of The Rapping Scene - Ex Con 7" Single WEA K 18928 US $6.60 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Queen's Own Highlanders - Bagpipes Of Scotland [CD New] US $10.93 Buy It Now 1h 15m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - RIVER QUEEN [ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK] - NEW CD US $34.84 Buy It Now 1h 16m
LEONARD COHEN live songs CD you know who I am NANCY queen victoria BIRD on WIRE US $7.49 [0 bids]
THOMPSON TWINS cd BIG TRASH debbie harry SUGAR DADDY bombers in the sky Queen Us US $7.49 [0 bids]
DOLLY PARTON: HEARTBREAKER: RCA PL 12797:1978:QUEEN OF COUNTRY: EX US $9.93 Buy It Now 1h 18m
HANDEL:CORONATION ANTHEMS/QUEEN ANNE - NEW CD US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 19m
School Reunion -Best of the 80s Disco/Pop/Party 3-CD (Queen/Wham/Specials/Kylie) US $11.49 Buy It Now 1h 19m
CAPITAL GOLD- The Best of Eighties 80s Legends 2-CD (Wham/Queen/Madness/Ub40) US $9.19 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Brian May (QUEEN) - Back to the light UK 7" US $8.27 Buy It Now 1h 21m
QUEEN One Vision b/w Blurred Vision IRON EAGLE PS STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
VARIOUS ARTISTS/DJ E - DJ ENSAMBLE PRESENTS TRANCING QUEEN - NEW CD US $14.31 Buy It Now 1h 27m
SMALL SOLDIERS soundtrack CD Bone Thugs Harmony QUEEN squier PAT BENATAR glitter US $7.49 [0 bids]
QUEEN-QUEEN LIVE KILLERS (EMI)DOUBLE ALBUM/GATEFOLD SLEEVE US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Queen - Innuendo CD Brand New & Factory Sealed US $13.25 Buy It Now 1h 34m
QUEEN - Greatest Hits II ~ GATEFOLD 2 x VINYL LP US $63.41 Buy It Now 1h 35m
We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions [Single] by Queen (CD, Mar-1991,... US $0.55 [0 bids]
Heart Little Queen Israeli 1977 Israel LP EX / Listen US $9.74 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Billy Ocean - Mystery Lady / African Queen (No More Love On The Run) 45 rpm NM US $2.25 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Kenneth Branagh PETER'S FRIENDS soundtrack CD clapton QUEEN springsteen ELTON US $7.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN - INNUENDO [DELUXE EDITION] [602527800097] - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.90 Buy It Now 1h 44m
IRMA THOMAS Time Is On My Side UK IMPORT FROM 83-THE QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS SOUL US $37.50 [0 bids]
THE CARVELLS - SKATEBOARD QUEEN 7" VINYL US $10.76 Buy It Now 1h 49m
QUEEN LATIFAH-BANANAS 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS319 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Queen - One vision UK 7" US $8.27 Buy It Now 1h 53m
100 Glorious Years - The 100th Birthday Of H.M. The Queen Mother, Various Artist US $4.51 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Queen - News Of The World - Polish Release US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
QUEEN - QUEEN II [CD] [1 DISC] [4988005646170] - NEW CD US $44.07 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Lot of untested 8 Track cassettes Nazareth, Foreigner, Queen, Bruce Springsteen US $16.00 [1 bids]
2h
QUEEN-NEWS OF THE WORLD (EMI) GATEFOLD SLEEVE US $6.63 Buy It Now 2h
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS-REACHING OUT 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS319 US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Queen - A Night At The Opera - 180gram Vinyl LP *NEW & SEALED* US $36.46 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Queen I Queen Remaster 2011 2 CD Sealed ! New ! US $8.12 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Queen II Queen Remaster 2011 2 CD Sealed ! New ! US $8.12 Buy It Now 2h 12m
52 NON-STOP - THE DANCING QUEEN - MISS POOJA - BHANGRA CD FREE POST US $13.25 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Queen - Queen (100% Japanese Limited Ed. Mini LP w/ OBI) Hi Def. Platinum SHM-CD US $54.95 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Queen - Queen (100% Japanese Limited Ed. Mini LP w/ OBI) Hi Definition SHM-CD US $44.95 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Queen Latifah - All Hail the Queen - Rare New Cassette US $32.50 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Queen Sticker! "Don't Stop Me Now", Jazz, Freddie Mercury, Wayne's World, Brian US $3.32 Buy It Now 2h 29m
QUEEN ON FIRE--Live At The MK Bowl 1982--3 LP SET--FACTORY SEALED US $252.56 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Queen The Game CD Gold with Japan Only OBI MFSL UDCD 610 US $299.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN - GREATEST HITS (DIGITAL MASTER CD ALBUM) NEAR MINT CONDITION US $5.79 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Queen A Day at the Races CD Gold with Japan Only OBI MFSL UDCD 668 US $299.99 [0 bids]
THE FIRST CLASS - BEACH BABY / SURFER QUEEN 7" VINYL PS US $8.27 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Queen & David Bowie Sticker! "Under Pressure", Freddie Mercury, Hot Space, US $3.32 Buy It Now 2h 34m
QUEEN - GREATEST HITS II (1991 CD ALBUM) EXCELLENT CONDITION US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 34m
LYDIA LUNCH - QUEEN OF SIAM [LYDIA LUNCH] [5013929138520] - NEW CD US $12.10 Buy It Now 2h 34m
BO BENTON - QUEEN OF THE NIGHT [PA] - NEW CD US $10.28 Buy It Now 2h 38m
LITTLE QUEEN / HEART / PORTRAIT 1977 VINYL LP S PRT 82075 US $16.42 Buy It Now 2h 38m
QUEEN - THE MIRACLE (1989 CD ALBUM) VERY GOOD CONDITION US $4.13 Buy It Now 2h 40m
QUEEN - MADE IN HEAVEN (1995 CD ALBUM) VERY GOOD CONDITION US $3.30 Buy It Now 2h 43m
QUEEN-LIVE MAGIC (EMI) US $4.97 Buy It Now 2h 47m
QUEEN / LIVE KILLERS (2LP) Gatefold w/ Insert ORIG Japan Issue CLEAR VINYL US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
QUEEN - NEWS OF THE WORLD [2011] [REMASTER] - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.15 Buy It Now 2h 56m
10 CDG LOT 50S-70S OLDIES KARAOKE CD+G - BEACH BOYS,QUEEN,ELVIS 12e US $26.23 Buy It Now 2h 56m
QUEEN - DEEP CUTS, VOL. 2 (1977-1982) - NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 3h
VEGA, Suzanne - Tales From The Realm Of The Queen Of Pentacles - LP US $29.17 Buy It Now 3h 3m
JANIE JONES with THE CLASH, UK 7" 45 HOUSE OF THE JU-JU QUEEN, 1983 US $25.20 Buy It Now 3h 11m
QUEEN -THE GAME+ A NIGHT AT THE OPERA+ HOT SPACE+ FLASH GORDON+ THE WORKS--5 LPS US $45.95 Buy It Now 3h 11m
QUEEN "NEWS OF THE WORLD" (WE WILL ROCK YOU) MUSIC CASSETTE TAPE ROCK EX! US $2.69 Buy It Now 3h 14m
QUEEN "I'm going slightly mad" - 7" GERMANY+MEGA RARE PROMO SHEET! US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
SIZE QUEEN - PIMPS, PUMPS, AND PUSHERS - NEW CD US $24.97 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Charlie Parker-QUEEN-DISC 002-Sax-Italy Import - Jazz LP-1940's/50's US $12.94 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Queen of the Stone Age Group 10x8 Photo US $4.96 Buy It Now 3h 15m
QUEEN "The invisible man" - 7" GERMANY+MEGA RARE PROMO SHEET! US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 17m
QUEEN B 7" VINYL P/S RED TOP HOT SHOT LON 233 EX US $9.07 Buy It Now 3h 19m
QUEEN - 20 x 7" Singles MIRACLE/INVISIBLE/SCANDAL/BREAKTHRU/KIND OF/INNUENDO VG+ US $20.73 [13 bids]
Queen Live Magic Japan Cassette Tape Freddie Mercury US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
SYLVIE VARTAN disco queen JAPAN 7" SS-3148 kR4 US $6.29 Buy It Now 3h 23m
CD: THE CROWN JEWELS - TRIBUTE TO QUEEN US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 23m
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS - LIVE AT FANCOURT - DVD US $36.99 [0 bids]
George Michael and Queen, Five Live Cassette US $0.99 [0 bids]
Organized Noize featuring Andrea Martin & Queen Latifah "Set It Off" (Cassette S US $3.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN / THE WORKS / CASSETTE TAPE / EMI US $14.91 Buy It Now 3h 33m
QUEEN-THE GAME (EMI) US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 36m
AMPLIFIED Official LADIES Tee Shirt Various Sizes QUEEN JAPAN 76 US $38.12 Buy It Now 3h 36m
QUEEN "Somebody To Love / White Man" (Elektra 45362), 1976 NM- US $6.95 Buy It Now 3h 39m

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Hang on in there!

Here is the third singles box set from one of my all time favourite bands. Just like the previous two, this third box set contains 13 discs which are CD versions of another 13 of the band's original singles. The first box set of the series covered the period from 1973 to 1978, the second box covered the years 1979 to 1984 and now this third one covers the years 1984 to 1989. Interestingly, the singles taken from The Works album were split over the second and third installments of this series with Radio Ga Ga and I Want To Break Free making the second box, while It's A Hard Life and Hammer To Fall taken from that same album were held back to be included in the present box set. The reason for this is not quite clear but I guess it has a lot to do with the apparent obsession with having each box set contain exactly 13 singles - no more, no less. Apart from these two singles taken from The Works, this third volume in the singles collection series contains the singles from the A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle albums, as well as the Christmas song Thank God It's Christmas that was never featured on any album. This Christmas song was released only as a single in 1985, in between the releases of The Works and A Kind Of Magic albums. Since the 1989 album The Miracle was not Queen's last album, we should expect a fourth singles box set in the future covering the very successful singles released from the Innuendo and Made In Heaven albums in the 90's. (It has been officially stated that a fourth box will eventually appear, so I'm not just speculating here).

As I noted in my review for box #2, Queen was always both an albums band and a singles band. However, when they first started out in the early 70's they leaned heavily towards being an albums band, even if they did release singles even back then. As time progressed, though, they became more and more of a singles band, topping the charts and giving a bit less attention to their albums as such - they often felt more like collections of their recent singles with a couple of less interesting songs (but there are exceptions, of course). While masterpiece albums like Queen II and A Night At The Opera clearly work best when they are heard in their entirety, as they are supposed to be, albums like The Works and A Kind Of Magic could certainly benefit from a more selective listening. Especially the latter, which is one of the most uneven albums in Queen history, with the highest highs imaginable as well as a few merely decent tracks. I'm thinking, of course, of such brilliant tracks as Who Wants To Live Forever (an absolute masterpiece of a song, in my opinion!) and the marvelous Princes Of The Universe. And on the same album you find such weak tracks as Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, Don't Lose Your Head and, perhaps worst of all, One Year Of Love. (I still the album highly, becasue the great tracks are several and truly excellent).

What is most interesting of all is that every track from the A Kind Of Magic album was released as either an A-side or a B-side of a single! This means that all of the nine tracks from that album are included in this box (in some form or other)! The opportunity to offer a more selective look at this uneven album and highlight the best tracks is thus lost as it is all here! However, the single version of Pain Is So Close To Pleasure is a remix and slightly different from the album version. But how on earth songs like Pain Is So Close To Pleasure and One Year Of Love could be released as singles in the first place is beyond me! On a negative note, I must point out that some of these single A-sides are edited versions, the album versions are thus generally strongly preferable. The aforementioned Who Wants To Live Forever is sadly a such edited "single version".

On a positive note, those who only own the A Kind Of Magic album might not have the other three non-album B-sides from its singles that are featured here: Blurred Vision (B-side to One Vision) and A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling (B-side to A Kind Of Magic) and Forever (B-side to Who Wants To Live Forever). These three are all instrumentals, but while the latter is a wonderful piano piece based on the same melody as its A-side, Blurred Vision is basically an instrumental "Dance" remix of One Vision! A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling too is a Kraftwerk-like remix of Don't Lose Your Head from the same album (also featured in this box). It is very interesting for a hard core fan like myself to hear just how diverse this great band were, but for the casual listener or moderate fan these non-album B-sides are hardly essential. It should be noted that Forever was actually featured as a bonus track on the CD version of the A Kind Of Magic album - so, if you own that album on CD already, you have one less reason to invest in this (presumably expensive - I have heard it only on Spotify) box set.

The three earlier singles, the two taken from The Works and the Christmas single, also offers very little of interest for someone who already own The Works. The single version of Hammer To Fall is, again, an edited version inferior to the album version and the Christmas song itself is not very much to my liking! The B-sides to these three singles were all taken from The Works album, so with the exception of the rather lame Thank God It's Christmas (I never liked Christmas songs!), if you already own The Works, you actually get less, not more here (due to the edited song), than what you already have on that album! It's A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? are definitely good songs, but Tear It Up, Man On The Prowl and Keep On Passing The Open Windows, are among the least good songs from The Works (which is not a very strong Queen album in the first place despite some very good moments). Needless to say, I much prefer hearing the album over the singles taken from it by themselves and the same goes for A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle.

The singles taken from The Miracle are, thankfully, a bit more interesting, offering more and stronger non-album material. However, the best song here by far - the excellent Hang On In There - was already featured as a bonus track on The Miracle CD. This leaves Stealin', Hijack My Heart and My Life Has Been Saved. The latter is familiar to those who own the Made In Heaven album, but this is the original version. Stealin' reminds me a little bit of the early 70's non-album B-side See What A Fool I've Been (featured in singles box set #1) and is not really that good, in my opinion. Hijack My Heart is a Roger Taylor song with him on lead vocals and it is a good one even if hardly essential.

All this might seem like pretty hard criticism, but this third singles box set is actually the best and most interesting of the three Queen singles boxes that have been released so far! The most important advantage of box #3 over the previous two is that while box #1 contained only one non-album b-side and #2 contained three, this third box features eight non-album tracks. Granted, many of those interested are likely to already have two of these songs as bonus tracks on CD's and another two are basically "remixes" or alternate versions of songs that already appeared on albums rather than fully new songs. But this still leaves enough good non-album material to make this box set worthwhile, or at least more worthwhile than the previous two singles boxes. Non-album B-sides like Stealin' and Hijack My Heart are, to my knowledge at least, not available anywhere else on CD. I would certainly prefer to have all the non-album tracks released on a single disc instead of these massive box sets, but I'm very glad that these previously unavailable songs are finally released on CD.

For anyone who is not a major Queen fan, however, I would certainly recommend sticking with the albums. These box sets are, after all, aimed primarily at fans and collectors. Any fan of the band will want to have the albums from which these singles were taken anyway, and those beginners looking for an introductory compilation album will not want to buy an expensive box set just to get an insight into Queen's late 80's period (but rather go for the much cheaper compilation album Greatest Hits II or their DVD counterparts that feature many of these same songs).

If you don't have the studio albums from which these singles were taken, buy them now! If you already have these studio albums, you might not feel the need to buy these singles box sets. But if you do, this third box is strongly preferable to the previous two in virtue of offering a higher quantity of non-album material. Better and more interesting for sure, but still primarily recommended for fans and collectors. The best and most Prog-relevant tracks are the excellent Who Wants To Live Forever, Princes Of The Universe and Hang On In There, but all of these three are better available elsewhere.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#285548) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Post a review of QUEEN "The Singles Collection Volume 3"