THE SINGLES COLLECTION VOLUME 3

Buy QUEEN Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2010

CD1:
1. It's A Hard Life
2. Is This The World We Created?

CD2:
1. Hammer To Fall (Edit)
2. Tear It Up

CD3:
1. Thank God It's Christmas
2. Man On The Prowl
3. Keep Passing The Open Windows

CD4:
1. One Vision (Single Version)
2. Blurred Vision

CD5:
1. A Kind Of Magic
2. A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling

CD6:
1. Friends Will Be Friends
2. Princes Of The Universe

CD7:
1. Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Remix)
2. Don't Lose Your Head

CD8:
1. Who Wants To Live Forever
2. Forever (Piano Version)

CD9:
1. One Year Of Love
2. Gimme The Prize (Kurgens Theme)

CD10:
1. I Want It All (Single Version)
2. Hang On In There

- Roger Taylor/ drums, vocals, synthesisers
- John Deacon / bass, guitars, sythesisers

An EMI/Parlophone release on May 31st, 2010
Limited Edition CD box set, containing 13 CD singles covering years 1984 - 1989

Thanks to Lizzy for the addition

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 Music

Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
Hollywood Records 2002
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits: We Will Rock You EditionGreatest Hits: We Will Rock You Edition
Remastered · Special Edition
Hollywood Records 2004
Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)
Hollywood Records 2014
A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]
Fontana Hollywood 2008
Vinyl$14.19
B B Queen, (I wanna be) next to you 1991 CD Single US $6.74 Buy It Now 29m 55s
Huanghoudadaodong Queen's Road East, made in Japan (TO 1A1) US $19.90 [0 bids]
30m 52s
THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE QUEEN - SELF TITLED - NEW CD ALBUM US $8.43 Buy It Now 34m 8s
QUEEN - A VERY SPECIAL CHRISTMAS - VERY RARE - 1 CD + 1 DVD US $69.99 [1 bids]
35m 23s
Smack Dab - Queen Crab (1993) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 41m 5s
I Killed The Prom Queen - Beloved (2014) - Used - Compact Disc US $6.00 Buy It Now 41m 11s
QUEEN I WANT IT ALL 1989 3TRK VINYL 12INCH UK SINGLE * EXCELLENT ITEM THROUGHOUT US $13.44 Buy It Now 44m 9s
* QUEEN - Greatest Hits US $5.99 Buy It Now 44m 51s
QUEEN Live Magic CD Classic 1986 Tour Concerts US $2.49 [1 bids]
45m 18s
QUEEN - GREATEST HITS II CD ~ 70's / 80's ~ FREDDIE MERCURY~BRIAN MAY 2 *NEW* US $15.83 Buy It Now 46m 32s
SUNFLY GOLD KARAOKE DISC GD-014 QUEEN CD+G SEALED 16 TRACKS US $15.00 Buy It Now 46m 45s
GEORGE MICHAEL & QUEEN & LISA STANSFIELD FIVE LIVE PARTS 1 + 2 C.D.s EXC US $20.27 Buy It Now 46m 50s
Alex "Heartbreak Queen/Only You Can Make Me"12"45 PROMO US $7.95 Buy It Now 48m 47s
QUEEN & FREDDIE MERCURY 2 SIGNED A4 MOUNTS ROGER TAYLOR BRIAN MAY AUTOGRAPHS US $16.89 Buy It Now 49m 32s
QUEEN "A Night At The Opera" High Fidelity Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc **NEW** US $24.99 [0 bids]
1h
QUEEN "CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE" ELEKTRA Record Vinyl 45 Rpm Free S/H USA! US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
JUICE NEWTON "QUEEN OF HEARTS" Capitol Records Vinyl 45 Rpm Free S/H USA! US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 4m
BILLY OCEAN: GREATEST HITS [CARIBBEAN QUEEN,GET OUTTA MY CAR,SUDDENLY,LOVERBOY+] US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Queen of Soul - The Very Best of Aretha Franklin US $4.16 Buy It Now 1h 7m
MOUNTAIN "Mississippi Queen/The Laird" Windfall, 1970 MT-/MT US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Dancemania nonstop megamix 4 Japan CD SPICE GIRLS SISTER QUEEN E-ROTIC ZONA JAG US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Queen Of Blood [DVD] US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP 'Queen Of My Dreams' 1974 Japanese 7"/45 vinyl single US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Dave Edmunds Queen Of Hearts 7" Vinyl Single US $7.59 Buy It Now 1h 18m
4 QUEEN LATIFA ZAP MAMA TONI BRAXTON AND TOWER OF POWER CD'S US $5.99 [0 bids]
Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest Blu-ray/2CD set, NEW BUT NOT SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Louis XIV God killed the Queen / Marc 7" vinyl single US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Louis XIV God killed the Queen / The grand apartment 7" vinyl single US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 22m
RARE RADIO SHOW VA ELTON JOHN BAND QUEEN DOOLEY SILVERSPOON ODIA COATES LP PROMO US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Concerts for the people of Kampuchea 2LP,The Clash,QUEEN,pressed ex YUGO US $19.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Christy McCool Lovelier Than The Queen LP *SEALED* 1990 US $5.39 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Various - The Crown Jewels - A Tribute To Queen CD US $12.66 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Heart "Little Queen" 1977 record vinyl US $15.95 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Smiths - The Queen Is Dead - US CD Album US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Ozzie Kotani To Honor A Queen LiliUokalani Lili'uokalani Hawaiian CD Hawaii US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
*QUEEN* Flash Gordon Soundtrack - 1980 Electra Vinyl LP - Mercury May Taylor US $2.99 [0 bids]
Sister Queen saturday every man a queen Japan 3TRACK CD OBI MINT US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Sister Queen the album Japan CD RARE US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
C.Woitschach 45 DANDY QUEEN RHINELANDER / LOVE HUT LOVE DANCE~ VG+ classic dance US $2.19 Buy It Now 1h 40m
QUEEN LATIFAH Fly Girl / Nature Of A Sista CD-EP Vocal & Instrumental US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
THAT'S EUROBEAT Vol.30 JAPAN 2CD alphatown gipsy & queen philip & stanley f.c.f. US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
MONALISA queen of love JAPAN 7" PROMO K07S-7115 Italo US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Queen - Jazz CD - 2011 Digital Remaster - Deluxe 2 CD - With 5 Bonus Tracks US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Queen - The Game CD - 2011 Digital Remaster - Deluxe 2 CD - With Bonus Tracks US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Queen - A Day at the Races CD - May 2011 - Deluxe 2 CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Queen - Hot Space CD - 2011 Remaster - Deluxe 2 CD - With 5 Bonus Tracks US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Queen - Flash Gordon CD - 2011 Remaster - Deluxe 2 CD - With 6 Bonus tracks! US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
ABBA dancing queen & that"s me ex yugo, 7" light blueUNIQUE label US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
LP Queen Day at the Races 1976 Italian import 3c 064-98485 EMI Gatefold sleeve US $21.96 Buy It Now 2h
The Candys(CD Single Promo)Queen Of Perfection-Boss Music- US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY Queen Of The Night DISCO FUNK SOUL 1978 Lp US $5.26 Buy It Now 2h 5m
FM Vinyl Record Album - Original Movie Soundtrack(Petty-Foreigner-Buffett-Queen) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Queen Promotional CD Single Heaven For Everyone 1995 US $13.51 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Queen - Greatest hits II- 2 CD -digipak -brand new US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Wagon - Beauty Angel Queen (1999 Glitterhouse CD GRCD465) Americana, Alt Country US $8.43 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Queen - Greatest hits I- 2 CD -digipak -brand new US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
QUEEN LATIFAH-ALL HAIL THE QUEEN-JAPAN CD ttt US $35.50 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Paul McCartney ( The Beatles ) Complaint to the Queen. Wings Over Holland 72 LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
Dion. Oh the night......45rpm. US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
The Brian May Band Back To The Light Tour 1993 - 2CD Queen US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Queen Latifah - Poetry Man US CD single Promo 3 versions of title track D US $2.49 Buy It Now 2h 25m
The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths CD Sealed New Remastered US $6.16 Buy It Now 2h 27m
QUEEN - II [LIMITED EDITION] [4988005798497] - NEW CD US $26.53 Buy It Now 2h 28m
ROGER TAYLOR (QUEEN) - FUN ON EARTH * - NEW CD US $29.49 Buy It Now 2h 28m
ROGHA: BEST OF CLANNAD [Ancient Forest,The Fairy Queen,Closer to Your Heart++] US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Bohemian Rhapsody Gold Disc. Autograph. Shiny Gold Vinyl. Retro. Queen US $6.74 [0 bids]
Freddie Mercury Gold Disc. Autograph. Shiny Gold Vinyl CD. Retro. Queen US $6.74 [0 bids]
GEORGE MICHAEL & QUEEN with LISA STANSFIELD-FIVE LIVE ORIGINAL UK 45rpm EP 1993 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Queen / Wyclef Jean - Another One Bites The Dust - UK 3 Track CD Single 1998 US $3.36 Buy It Now 2h 34m
QUEEN - JEWELS [QUEEN] - NEW CD US $27.38 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Queen Queen Japan CD TOCP-6551 US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Queen The Works Japan CD TOCP-8281 US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Live at Wembley '86 by Queen (CD, Oct-1994, 2 Discs, Hollywood) US $10.00 [0 bids]
SHABBA RANKS / QUEEN LATIFAH - WHAT'CHA GONNA DO - UK CD SINGLE US $3.36 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Rare DINAH WASHINGTON/Wing SRW 16386/Original Soul sister-Queen of Blues GD/EX US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Queen Pen : Conversations With Queen CD (2001) US $3.96 Buy It Now 2h 43m
QUEEN - JEWELS, VOL. 2 - NEW CD US $29.49 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Toyah: In the Court of Crimson Queen Promo Sleeve Japan Mini-LP (no cd king Q US $28.50 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Gryphon: Red Queen Promo Sleeve Japan Mini-LP (giant genesis gentle yes no cd Q US $33.25 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Nice Shirt ADAM LAMBERT QUEEN TOUR 2014 Black T Shirt NEW 143 SIZE S M L XL 2 XL US $20.88 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Queen by Dalida US $22.63 Buy It Now 2h 50m
FRANKIE FARR: LITTLE GIRL / QUEEN OF MY DREAMS 1961 I-NEZ #001 VG++ US $22.12 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Robert Calvert Blueprints/ Queen Elizabeth Hawkwind, Amon Duul. US $8.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN - II [LIMITED EDITION] [4988005798398] - NEW CD US $42.49 Buy It Now 2h 59m
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCH. Queen Of The Hours / Roll Over Beethoven UA used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h
NEW LICK LIBRARY LEARN TO PLAY BRIAN MAY (QUEEN) SOLOS DVD ELECTRIC GUITAR US $27.97 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Thomas Beecham, Royal Philharmonic - Queen Sheba, Legend G Minor - EMX2103 (LP) US $5.05 Buy It Now 3h 4m
QUEEN - NEWS OF THE WORLD [LIMITED EDITION] - NEW CD US $42.49 Buy It Now 3h 5m
QUEEN B'Z - FRAILTY WOMAN TAKE OFF [EP] - NEW CD US $11.12 Buy It Now 3h 5m
QUEEN The Game 1980 Elektra w/orig slv - Mastered at Allen Zentz EX/EX LP Record US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Paul Webb Alabama Queen VG++/Loving Time VG++ Mich. Label Country 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
QUEEN Jazz 1978 Embossed w/orig slv, Mastered at Sterling VG++/EX LP Record US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
LP-NILLA PIZZI, QUEEN OF ITALIAN SONG-RCA ITALIANA-FAMOUS RECORDING AND COVER US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Queen - Queen II (Fame LP in Gatefold Sleeve. FA 4130991) US $33.79 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Patti Page / The Waltz Queen / 1958 / Stereo / Mercury-Wing SRW-16121 / Vinyl LP US $8.75 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Queen?Japan 3SHM-CD BOX SET Platinum Collection (Red SPL) 5000 Limited US $140.00 [0 bids]
Japan Johnny's KAT-TUN official photo set Kamenashi Kazuya US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
QUEEN Official Merchandise Product Sew-On-Patch INNUENDO US $4.72 Buy It Now 3h 21m
NIGHTFALL oh Black Queen Oh You are Mine Vinyl ORG 7" EP LIMITED PRESSING US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Wedding Hymns, Vaughan Williams, Queen's Colleg, Good US $10.49 Buy It Now 3h 22m

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

QUEEN The Singles Collection Volume 3 reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Hang on in there!

Here is the third singles box set from one of my all time favourite bands. Just like the previous two, this third box set contains 13 discs which are CD versions of another 13 of the band's original singles. The first box set of the series covered the period from 1973 to 1978, the second box covered the years 1979 to 1984 and now this third one covers the years 1984 to 1989. Interestingly, the singles taken from The Works album were split over the second and third installments of this series with Radio Ga Ga and I Want To Break Free making the second box, while It's A Hard Life and Hammer To Fall taken from that same album were held back to be included in the present box set. The reason for this is not quite clear but I guess it has a lot to do with the apparent obsession with having each box set contain exactly 13 singles - no more, no less. Apart from these two singles taken from The Works, this third volume in the singles collection series contains the singles from the A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle albums, as well as the Christmas song Thank God It's Christmas that was never featured on any album. This Christmas song was released only as a single in 1985, in between the releases of The Works and A Kind Of Magic albums. Since the 1989 album The Miracle was not Queen's last album, we should expect a fourth singles box set in the future covering the very successful singles released from the Innuendo and Made In Heaven albums in the 90's. (It has been officially stated that a fourth box will eventually appear, so I'm not just speculating here).

As I noted in my review for box #2, Queen was always both an albums band and a singles band. However, when they first started out in the early 70's they leaned heavily towards being an albums band, even if they did release singles even back then. As time progressed, though, they became more and more of a singles band, topping the charts and giving a bit less attention to their albums as such - they often felt more like collections of their recent singles with a couple of less interesting songs (but there are exceptions, of course). While masterpiece albums like Queen II and A Night At The Opera clearly work best when they are heard in their entirety, as they are supposed to be, albums like The Works and A Kind Of Magic could certainly benefit from a more selective listening. Especially the latter, which is one of the most uneven albums in Queen history, with the highest highs imaginable as well as a few merely decent tracks. I'm thinking, of course, of such brilliant tracks as Who Wants To Live Forever (an absolute masterpiece of a song, in my opinion!) and the marvelous Princes Of The Universe. And on the same album you find such weak tracks as Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, Don't Lose Your Head and, perhaps worst of all, One Year Of Love. (I still the album highly, becasue the great tracks are several and truly excellent).

What is most interesting of all is that every track from the A Kind Of Magic album was released as either an A-side or a B-side of a single! This means that all of the nine tracks from that album are included in this box (in some form or other)! The opportunity to offer a more selective look at this uneven album and highlight the best tracks is thus lost as it is all here! However, the single version of Pain Is So Close To Pleasure is a remix and slightly different from the album version. But how on earth songs like Pain Is So Close To Pleasure and One Year Of Love could be released as singles in the first place is beyond me! On a negative note, I must point out that some of these single A-sides are edited versions, the album versions are thus generally strongly preferable. The aforementioned Who Wants To Live Forever is sadly a such edited "single version".

On a positive note, those who only own the A Kind Of Magic album might not have the other three non-album B-sides from its singles that are featured here: Blurred Vision (B-side to One Vision) and A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling (B-side to A Kind Of Magic) and Forever (B-side to Who Wants To Live Forever). These three are all instrumentals, but while the latter is a wonderful piano piece based on the same melody as its A-side, Blurred Vision is basically an instrumental "Dance" remix of One Vision! A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling too is a Kraftwerk-like remix of Don't Lose Your Head from the same album (also featured in this box). It is very interesting for a hard core fan like myself to hear just how diverse this great band were, but for the casual listener or moderate fan these non-album B-sides are hardly essential. It should be noted that Forever was actually featured as a bonus track on the CD version of the A Kind Of Magic album - so, if you own that album on CD already, you have one less reason to invest in this (presumably expensive - I have heard it only on Spotify) box set.

The three earlier singles, the two taken from The Works and the Christmas single, also offers very little of interest for someone who already own The Works. The single version of Hammer To Fall is, again, an edited version inferior to the album version and the Christmas song itself is not very much to my liking! The B-sides to these three singles were all taken from The Works album, so with the exception of the rather lame Thank God It's Christmas (I never liked Christmas songs!), if you already own The Works, you actually get less, not more here (due to the edited song), than what you already have on that album! It's A Hard Life and Is This The World We Created? are definitely good songs, but Tear It Up, Man On The Prowl and Keep On Passing The Open Windows, are among the least good songs from The Works (which is not a very strong Queen album in the first place despite some very good moments). Needless to say, I much prefer hearing the album over the singles taken from it by themselves and the same goes for A Kind Of Magic and The Miracle.

The singles taken from The Miracle are, thankfully, a bit more interesting, offering more and stronger non-album material. However, the best song here by far - the excellent Hang On In There - was already featured as a bonus track on The Miracle CD. This leaves Stealin', Hijack My Heart and My Life Has Been Saved. The latter is familiar to those who own the Made In Heaven album, but this is the original version. Stealin' reminds me a little bit of the early 70's non-album B-side See What A Fool I've Been (featured in singles box set #1) and is not really that good, in my opinion. Hijack My Heart is a Roger Taylor song with him on lead vocals and it is a good one even if hardly essential.

All this might seem like pretty hard criticism, but this third singles box set is actually the best and most interesting of the three Queen singles boxes that have been released so far! The most important advantage of box #3 over the previous two is that while box #1 contained only one non-album b-side and #2 contained three, this third box features eight non-album tracks. Granted, many of those interested are likely to already have two of these songs as bonus tracks on CD's and another two are basically "remixes" or alternate versions of songs that already appeared on albums rather than fully new songs. But this still leaves enough good non-album material to make this box set worthwhile, or at least more worthwhile than the previous two singles boxes. Non-album B-sides like Stealin' and Hijack My Heart are, to my knowledge at least, not available anywhere else on CD. I would certainly prefer to have all the non-album tracks released on a single disc instead of these massive box sets, but I'm very glad that these previously unavailable songs are finally released on CD.

For anyone who is not a major Queen fan, however, I would certainly recommend sticking with the albums. These box sets are, after all, aimed primarily at fans and collectors. Any fan of the band will want to have the albums from which these singles were taken anyway, and those beginners looking for an introductory compilation album will not want to buy an expensive box set just to get an insight into Queen's late 80's period (but rather go for the much cheaper compilation album Greatest Hits II or their DVD counterparts that feature many of these same songs).

If you don't have the studio albums from which these singles were taken, buy them now! If you already have these studio albums, you might not feel the need to buy these singles box sets. But if you do, this third box is strongly preferable to the previous two in virtue of offering a higher quantity of non-album material. Better and more interesting for sure, but still primarily recommended for fans and collectors. The best and most Prog-relevant tracks are the excellent Who Wants To Live Forever, Princes Of The Universe and Hang On In There, but all of these three are better available elsewhere.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#285548) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Post a review of QUEEN "The Singles Collection Volume 3"