WALRUS

2. Rags and Old Iron/Blind Man/Roadside
3. Why?
4. Turning/Woman/Turning
5. Sunshine Needs Me
6. Coloured Rain/Mother's Dead Face in Memoriam/Coloured Rain (Reprise)
7. Tomorrow Never Comes
8. Never Let My Body Touch the Ground

Steve Hawthorn / bass guitar, 12-string guitar (3)
John Scates / lead & rhythm guitars
Noel Greenaway / vocals
Bill Hoad / soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, flute, alto flute, clarinet
Roy Voce / tenor saxophone
Don Richards / trumpet, celesta (4)
Barry Parfitt / piano & organ
Roger Harrison / drums (1, 6), claves, cowbells, tambourine
Nick Gabb / drums (2,3,4,5,7)

Decca/Deram

re-released on Esoteric Records, 2008

Thanks to Atavachron for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

$47.87
Terug Naar Het Begin by WalrusTerug Naar Het Begin by Walrus
Walrus
$61.41

The Beatles, Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus, The Beatles, 45RPM Vinyl Single (7") USD $6.66 [0 bids]
Oliver Walrus 2 - Oliver Walrus (CD Used Very Good) USD $17.98 Buy It Now 2h
MEGA RARE THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE SINGAPORE VINYL 45 R5655 GREAT AUDIO WALRUS USD $13.33 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus ITALY (COVER) HOLLAND (VINYL) VG/VG+ USD $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
The Beatles Limited Edition 7" Vinyl Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus USD $50.00 Buy It Now 4h 44m
WALRUS-FAMILY HANGOVER VINYL LP NEW USD $28.88 Buy It Now 11h 41m
The Beatles Hello, Goodbye/I Am The Walrus 7" Vinyl Parlophone R5655 1967 USD $6.66 [0 bids]
Randy Jackson-Empathy for the Walrus (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $14.20 Buy It Now 16h 36m
Oasis -Cigarettes & Alcohol /I Am The Walrus RARE 7"vinyl jukebox single CRE190d USD $42.11 Buy It Now 17h 8m
the beatles hello goodbye / I am the walrus original 1967 first pressing USD $13.34 [0 bids]
WALRUS SELF TITLED CD MINI LP OBI + bonus track Roger Harrison Steve Hawthorn USD $13.34 Buy It Now 23h 55m
BEATLES Hello Goodbye-I Am The Walrus Parlophone R5655 1st Press 1967 JUKEBOX 45 USD $2.33 [1 bids]
THE BEATLES 45 HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS PIC SLV USD $67.50 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I AM A WALRUS ORIGINAL CAPITOL MONO 45RPM RECORD NM- USD $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHILL FACTION Eggman On The Deuce 12" SINGLE EP SEALED Beatles I AM THE WALRUS USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES ? I AM THE WALRUS / HELLO GOODBYE ? 1967 RARE LABEl IMPORT R.5655 USD $26.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Beatles 45 1964 Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus Rare Capitol 2056 CANADA USD $0.01 [0 bids]
WALRUS Walrus MINI LP CD USD $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE // I AM THE WALRUS CAPITOL GREEN LABEL PROMO P2056 USD $40.00 [1 bids]
the BEATLES Hello, Goodbye / I am the Walrus 1967 DUTCH PS NMINT VINYL SINGLE 7" USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WALRUS Fragments Of Light JAPAN CD TECN-30683 2000 OBI USD $72.63 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus Capitol 2056 45 RPM USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BUMPS: Ode To A Toad 2:45-Shining 2:45-U.S. 7" 69 Walrus Toad Music Co.TMC 001/2 USD $98.98 Buy It Now 1 day
I Forgot My Blanket by Hash CD Rock Pop Grunge Music Mr. Hello I Am The Walrus USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
I Am The Walrus - Mike Fab Gere CDS, Mike Fab Gere And The Permissive, Very Good USD $2.33 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus 7" EX Vinyl Record R 5655 1st Press USD $5.32 [0 bids]
Beatles 1967-1970 2xLP 1976 Capitol SKBO-3404 VG+ Lennon McCartney I Am Walrus! USD $12.00 [0 bids]
Beatles - I Am The Walrus/ Hello, Goodbye - ROCK 45 (Import) USD $29.95 Buy It Now 2 days
CRACK THE SKY: I Am The Walrus / Long Version 12 (dj) Rock & Pop USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles 45 record HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS Capitol 1967 USD $0.99 [2 bids]
THE BEATLES 45 Vinyl Record, Hello Goodbye & I am the Walrus, 7". Paul McCarthy USD $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
WALRUS s/t Mini LP SHM CD JAPAN UICY-93830 USD $19.99 [1 bids]
WALRUS - Fissure - CD - **Excellent Condition** USD $14.76 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles 45 record HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS, Capitol 1967 sleeve USD $7.03 [0 bids]
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I'M THE WALRUS 1967 GERMANY Odeon 7" PS EX+/MINT- copy !!! USD $58.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye/I'm The Walrus SOUTH AFRICA Parlophone PICTURE SLEEVE USD $115.00 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus - Original 45 Record Capitol 2056 USD $15.97 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES - HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS VINYL 7" SINGLE USD $1.67 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - HELLO , GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS VINYL 7" SINGLE USD $1.67 [0 bids]
Beatles Mug I am the Walrus great condition USD $6.60 [0 bids]
Beatles - Hello, Goodbye & I Am The Walrus - 7" - MINT UNPLAYED REDUCED!!! USD $13.50 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW Beatles Limited Edition 7" Vinyl Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus S/M T-Shirt USD $37.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus - FRANCE - Vintage 1967 First Pressing USD $74.37 Buy It Now 3 days
BARRY WHITE - SOUL SEDUCTION CD. WALRUS OF LOVE USD $2.67 [0 bids]
Mike Fab Gere And The Permissive Society, I Am The Walrus 12", Vinyl Record USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Carl de Suze Elephant's Child Walrus and the Carpender Jabberwocky still sealed USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus CD UK Piglet 1993 3 USD $2.80 Buy It Now 3 days
KENICKIE Punka CD UK Emi 1996 4 Track Original Pic Disc B/W Drag Race, Walrus USD $4.19 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR 8 TRACK TAPE I AM THE WALRUS CAPITOL TESTED USD $2.00 [2 bids]
Vintage 45 RPM The Beatles Hello Goodbye & I Am the Walrus Capitol 2056 1967 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
WALRUS (70'S GROUP) S/T CD German Black Rose 1999 7 Track Digitally Remastered USD $19.87 Buy It Now 3 days
WALRUS SELF LP 1972 ORIGINAL PSYCH PROG, Sealed LP in Mint Condition, Cut corner USD $8.99 [0 bids]
USD $21.00 Buy It Now
Strawberry Walrus-Because of Love (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $21.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Randy Jackson - Empathy For The Walrus Music [CD] USD $16.18 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $11.94 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $15.94 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $18.61 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $21.28 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $26.62 Buy It Now 3 days
Boris/Merzbow "Walrus" 12" Pelican Isis Torche vinyl LP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
WALRUS Walrus MINI LP CD USD $12.87 Buy It Now 3 days
Listen - REV v WALRUS OF LOVE - Let The Music Play 2000 House 12" White Label USD $2.67 Buy It Now 3 days
Beatles: Hello, Goodbye / I am the walrus. Danish issue. VG+ USD $9.99 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED FIGURES WALRUS BAND BEATLES + BACKING CARD FAB USD $86.71 Buy It Now 4 days
Beatles " I 'm the Walrus / Hello, goodbye " 7"France red label USD $14.95 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES - "Hello, Goodbye"-"I Am the Walrus" - 1st Pressing -Parlophone 1957 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Boris Merzbow Walrus Vinyl USD $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BEATLES "I am the walrus" "Hello Goodbye" PICTURE COVER Capitol 2056 VG USD $10.00 [0 bids]
The Beatles CD Single Card Sleeve Hello Goodbye / I am the Walrus USD $13.34 Buy It Now 4 days
IRON WALRUS - A BEAST WITHIN CD NEW+ USD $26.63 Buy It Now 4 days
Original Beatles 45 Picture Sleeve Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus Capitol 2056 #1 USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Sealed Original Gatefold Psych Rock LP : Walrus ~Everyone Deserves A Fat Chance USD $40.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Original Beatles 45 Picture Sleeve Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus Capitol 2056 #2 USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Beatles Hello, Goodbye / I Am The Walrus Japan 45 With Picture Sleeve 400 Yen USD $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
CRACK THE SKY - I Am The Walrus / Lighten Up McGraw 1978 NEW WAVE AOR 7" Beatles USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BEATLES-I AM THE WALRUS {SOLID CENTRE)-HELLO,GOODBYE (DECCA PRES) BOTH EX+++ USD $13.33 [0 bids]
BEATLES Hello Goodbye-I Am The Walrus Parlophone R5655 1st Press 1967 JUKEBOX USD $2.33 [1 bids]
WALRUS Self-Titled Psychedelic Rock LP Record - Vinyl in NM USD $33.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Little Lead Soldiers - The Beatles 'Walrus Band' 60mm Figure Set - Memorabilia USD $95.06 Buy It Now 5 days
IRON WALRUS - A BEAST WITHIN (LP) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $29.71 Buy It Now 5 days
BEATLES~ I AM THE WALRUS~ VG~ HELLO GOODBYE~ CAPITOL 2056~ ~ POP 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Walrus by Walrus (Prog)/Walrus (Oakland, CA) (CD, Aug-2008, Esoteric Recordings) USD $17.85 Buy It Now 5 days
Strawberry Walrus-Psychedelic Grapefruit (CD-R) CD NEW USD $17.49 Buy It Now 5 days
Sando - For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) USA 45 Without Picture Sleeve USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
The Walrus Of Love Barry White 2 CD album (Double CD) Dutch WHITE213 USD $22.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Strawberry Walrus-Strawberry Walrus- Favorite Fifty (CD-R) CD NEW USD $22.33 Buy It Now 5 days
Order of the Walrus-Brothers (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $13.74 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES 20th ANNIVERSARY PICTURE DISC SINGLE 1987 HELLO GOODBYE/I AM WALRUS USD $39.00 Buy It Now 5 days
1967 THE BEATLES-Hello Goodbye,I Am The Walrus,w/capitol sleeve,#2056 45,comet USD $9.00 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles~HELLO GOODBYE~I AM THE WALRUS~7" Vinyl~L/XL T-Shirt~Box Set~NEW! USD $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
WALRUS CD/+1/1970 Deram/UK Progressive Rock/Traffic USD $26.98 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS PS & RECORD 45 RPM RECORD USD $55.86 Buy It Now 6 days
*<* BEATLES "MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR/YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW/I AM THE WALRUS" UK 45 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Beatles 7-Inch Vinyl/T-Shirt Combo - Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus - BRAND NEW! USD $39.99 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus 7" 45 RPM Record w/Picture Sleeve US USD $14.99 [1 bids]
Sketchy Walrus-Cosmic Vandals (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $13.73 Buy It Now 6 days
RANDY JACKSON (ZEBRA) - EMPATHY FOR THE WALRUS: MUSIC OF THE BEATLES, SONGS OF H USD $14.19 Buy It Now 6 days
Walrus - Walrus MINI LP CD s/t self titled 1970 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Sando - For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) US 1981 7" All-Star Recs USD $10.01 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy WALRUS music online Buy WALRUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

WALRUS Walrus ratings distribution

WALRUS Walrus reviews

Review by Atavachron
3 stars Rip-roaring fun on this 1970 debut from 9-piece heavy blues-jazz-rock orchestra Walrus, blasting forth with ragged and rich numbers from founder Steve Hawthorn's warm basses, guitarist John Scates' dirty riffs, and the over-the-top tribal yell of Noel Greenaway. On backup is a pulsing band of horns, woodwinds and percussion making this, their only release, a surprisingly tight blend of the sophisticated brass-jazz of Blood,Sweat&Tears, the stormy blues of Janis and her Holding Co., and echoes of early Who or Jethro Tull.

'Who Can I Trust' is typical but perfect hard acid rock boldly followed by 13 minute epic 'Rags and Old Iron', a journey of rhythm 'n blues, ancient ancestry, stoic folk rock, weird Brit-pop and sprawling brass-psych. 'Why' is a confident folk bit in paisley with Bill Hoad's pretty intertwined flutes and Greenaway's pining lament, tongue-in-cheek romp 'Turning', refreshing modern jazz in 'Coloured Rain', and beyond kitsch 'Tomorrow Never Comes' reminds of The Nice.

Nothing spectacular and brutally old-sounding, Walrus were destined to evaporate with little trace but the ensemble's impressive arrangements put them on a par with contemporaries as Room, and they deserve their small spot among the progressive orchestras of the era.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Walrus is one of one shot wonders from UK in the early '70's with a short career. Formed in late '60's by the bassist Steve Hawthorn , Walrus release in november 1970 their selftitled album at Decca records. The band was formed by 8 musicians, like a small orchestra, but only the head of the band Hawthorn was the main composer. The music offered by Walrus is jazz rock with brass intrstuments, horns arrangements and some vague progressive elements added here and there, the resoult is not bad, little dated now but ok most of the time and enjoyble. They remind me of, for instance, Jethro Tull (Benefit era) but less flute orientated and with some bluesy touch , tipical for that period aproach, Audience, Family or even Blood, Sweat & Tears. There are some fine moments , like short opening track Who Can I Trust, the lenghty Rags and Old Iron with some good mellow parts melted with some folky parts, heavy prog passages, a great tune and jazzy cover version from Traffic first album - Coloured Rain, the rest are ok. Overall a good release that desearves one way or another to be discovered, but is nothing realy a spectacular release, that's why the best I can give is 3 stars. My version of the CD is the first issue on this format from Black rose label in 1999 with some comments about the band and pieces inside. Not to be confused with other bands with same name Walrus .

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Interesting obscure band from which has released a single, self titled LP, in 1970 and quickly disappeared without trace soon after that. Their sound was a curious mix of brass rock a la Blood, Sweat & Tears or Chicago with psychedelic rock, jazz and even some acid-folk bits (like in Why). The music of this octet is quite appealing and certainly the band was promising: bassist Steve Hawthorn shows up as a viable songwriter of good material, while the players are obviously skilled enough. Singer Noel Greenaway is another great find, with a fine voice that handles well all styles of music. With time they probably could produce a personal and outstanding sound. Unfortunately this was not to be. I guess at the time there were enough good brass bands riding the charts and their psychedelic takes were already dated by 1970. Even the cover was not that original for the period:it looks like several others Ive seen then.

Anyway, if you like the above mentioned styles you should give this album a chance. I was quite surprised by the strong performances and the overall good songwriting and arrangements. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but nice to listen to. The production is very good for the time and the CD release has a bonus track that was not included on the original LP. Nice find.

Rating: 2,5 stars rounded up. good, but clearly non essential in any way.

3 stars Tucked away in the darker recesses of any prog collection are sunk without trace gems from the late 60's/early 70's. I was surprised and pleased that over a dozen others have at least heard this and bothered to rate it. It has even had a couple of reviews. I shall add mine then! With previous r ... (read more)

Report this review (#1519647) | Posted by Groucho Barks | Monday, January 25, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WALRUS "Walrus"