ENCOMIUM - A TRIBUTE TO LED ZEPPELIN

Various Genres

Various Artists (Tributes) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin album cover

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. Misty Mountain Hop - 4 Non Blondes (5:44)
2. Hey Hey What Can I Do - Hootie & The Blowfish (3:27)
3. D'yer Maker - Sheryl Crow (4:20)
4. Dancing Days - Stone Temple Pilots (3:46)
5. Tangerine - Big Head Todd and The Monsters (3:36)
6. Thank You - Duran Duran (4:32)
7. Out On The Tiles - Blind Melon (3:14)
8. Good Times Bad Times - Cracker (2:43)
9. Custard Pie - Helmet with David Yow (4:41)
10. Four Sticks - Rollins Band (3:30)
11. Going To California - Never The Bride (4:24)
12. Down By The Seaside - Robert Plant & Tori Amos (7:49)

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin lyrics

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin tabs

-See individual band albums

Atlantic 82731-2

Thanks to Evolver for the addition

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin Music

Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,... USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Various Artists Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995)ROCK USD $1.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995, Atlantic ( USD $4.39 Buy It Now 4 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,... USD $2.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,...b356 USD $1.49 Buy It Now 7 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,... USD $14.95 Buy It Now 7 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,... USD $2.45 Buy It Now 8 days
CD . Various Artists . Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin . USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD & PAPER SLEEVE ONLY) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995, Atlantic ( USD $1.50 Buy It Now 11 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD,1995) All-Star USD $2.49 Buy It Now 11 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin, Various Artists, Very Good USD $3.50 Buy It Now 13 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995, Atlantic USD $2.37 Buy It Now 13 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin Various Artists CD, Mar-1995, Atlantic BMG USD $1.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Led Zeppelin Various Artists - Encomium (A Tribute to Led Zeppelin, 1995) USD $9.21 Buy It Now 13 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995, Atlanti... USD $1.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,... USD $3.27 Buy It Now 13 days
CD - Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists - Good USD $3.99 Buy It Now 14 days
LOT 2 CDS JIMMY PAGE & Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin Various Artists MINT USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Various Artists, Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin Audio CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995, Atlanti... USD $1.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995, Atlantic) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 16 days
ENCOMIUM - a tribute to led zeppelin CD -Various Artists USD $5.25 Buy It Now 17 days
Various Artists - Encomium (A Tribute to Led Zeppelin) (CD 1995) USD $9.21 Buy It Now 18 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1995,... USD $5.00 Buy It Now 19 days
Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin by Various Artists Music CD-1995 Rock Band USD $1.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Various Artists, Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin Audio CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) music online Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin ratings distribution

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars During the mid-nineties, the major labels all had the idea of making tribute albums of popular artists. Some were okay, some were badly done. This one is mostly tolerable, with a few good tracks and a few bad ones.

First, other than Tori Amos and Robert Plant himself (Is it bad form to record a song for your own tribute album?), none of these bands are remotely progressive. The majority would probably fall into the wide category of alternative rock. And then there's Duran Duran.

Most of the songs on this collection stay fairly close to the original Led Zep recordings. And groups like 4 Non Blondes, with a female vocalist, can sound eerily like the old Robert Plant (who himself sound more like the tired, recent Robert Plant). Blind Melon does a good job on Out On The Tiles, even though they changed the verse section.

Sheryl Crow makes D'yer Maker even more poppy. And Henry Rollins shouts out Four Sticks like it's another version of TV Party. The biggest stinker on the album is Custard Pie performed by Helmet with David Yow. Yow is right. The guy is horrible. I know it a punk thing to do, but he comes across as a mentally challenged individual (to be politically correct), and just ruins the song.

So with nothing really making this worthwhile, the best I can give it is two stars.

Review by TCat
3 stars Being a huge Zeppelin fan, I approached this collection hesitantly, not knowing what to expect. But also being a fan of some of these bands, I had to give it a try, mostly for curiosity sake. In my mind, I approached the album with the attitude that very few Zep songs could be improved upon, so I listened to each track and rated it based on whether it was just a safe copy of the original, if the artist put their own stamp on it and still respected the material, or if they just slaughtered the track completely. Here is what I came up with on a track-by-track basis:

1) Misty Mountain Hop - 4 Non-Blondes - Decent cover. Nothing new and daring, yet nothing disgraceful either. This is an inbetween-er.

2) Hey, Hey What Can I Do - Hootie and the Blowfish - Darius takes this song and makes it his own....boring, bland and uninteresting, just like all of his other songs. If this was one of Hootie's original songs, it would not stand out, just like all of his other songs....they all sound the same. Good thing he went country because that genre is full of the same type of music, it all sounds the same. Bad.

3) D'yer Maker - Sheryl Crow - I expected this one to be much better because I do have some respect for Sheryl Crow. It's true what all the other reviewers say about her cover here, that she made it pop-py. This is the worst track in my opinion. This is the wrong way to do a Led Zeppelin cover. I find this cover very irritating especially when she sings "no-no". Bad.

4) Dancing Days - Stone Temple Pilots - As a huge contrast from the previous track, STP demonstrates the right way to cover Led Zeppelin. They give it their own stamp, respect the material and don't even try to make it their own song. Perfect. Good Track.

5) Tangerine - Big Head Todd and the Monsters - One of my favorite bands cover one of my favorite songs. This band is completely under-rated and I was plesantly surprised at how well they carry of one of LZ's most difficult songs. Probably my favorite track here. Good Track!

6) Thank You - Duran Duran - This one is the biggest surprise on the album. I have to say that I loved their "Rio" album, but most of their other albums where not favorites of mine. I expected this cover to be a complete failure since their sound is not at all like LZ's sound. But, My God, they actually pull it off and do it well. Good.

7) Out on the Tiles - Blind Melon - I was looking forward to this one because I always compared Blind Melon to Led Zeppelin and found a lot of similarities in their music. But the singing is 2nd rate and the instrumentals are nothing spectacular either. In-between.

8) Good Times, Bad Times - Cracker - I was expecting this one to also be another good one and this time I was not disappointed. Cracker does the cover justice, respects the music and puts their own stamp on it. Nothing really special happens because they stay true to the source, but it sounds really good to me. Good.

9) Custard Pie - David How, Helmet - The instrumentals were great, the singing, however, is a joke. It ruins the cover completely. It's almost like the singer knew how bad he was so he lampoons himself in the song. Bad.

10) Four Sticks - Rollins Band - I ended up liking this cover. Rollins repects the material and Henry Rollins voice, while it keeps with his own style, does not go way over the edge like How did on the previous track. The instrumentals are dirty, but that's okay on this song. It actually gives it the atmosphere that the song needs. It does get a little old after a while though. In-Between.

11) Going to California - Never the Bride - Instead of acoustic guitar, they use a piano as the main instrument and it works very well. The vocals are decent throughout most of the song until they try to add a little emotion which almost works but also almost ruins the cover. But it is still decent. In- between.

12) Down by the Seaside - Robert Plant and Tori Amos - Plant's voice has mellowed over the years, so he adjusts the song to match his voice here. The song is also mellowed down for Tori's beautiful piano and voice. This almost works, but Plant's voice tends to get a little annoying in some spots and in other's it holds up well. Tori's contributions are definately respectable up until almost the end where she becomes a little too repetitive and starts to howl a little too much. In- Between.

So overall, there are a few worthy covers here. Is it enough to hunt this album down? Probably not, but I wouldn't write off the good covers either. There are some covers here that are definately worth downloading whether you are a LZ fan or not. Otherwise, if you are a fan of any of the artists here, you may also want to check out these tracks.

Review by Gatot
2 stars Oh finally this tribute is featured here. It's quite surprising to me actually that a band as strong and as solid as Led Zeppelin being tributed by younger bands with some pop backgrounds like Duran Duran for example. But as I was so curious about this then I purchased the cassette version of this one and not to my surprise that I was not impressed at all with this tribute album. I don't think any of track played here is better than the original version. There are two factors that make it hard to tribute Led Zeppelin: first is the musicianships of John Bonham as well as Jimmy Page that really characterized the Led Zeppelin sound plus the high octave vocal line of Robert Plant. It's really tough to emulate. Second, is the overall Led Zeppelin sound that really hard to emulate. It's true that I cannot get any feel that makes me impressed with this tribute. Maybe, the way to enjoy this tribute is by redefining the expectation: to enjoy it as it is and unlearn the original sound of Led Zeppelin. This is to say that Misty Mountain Hop should not be compared with the original one that has dynamic groove and so captivating. You may then try to enjoy Thank You which might not quite disappoint you that much ...may be ....

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

2 stars Encomium - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin is an OK tribute album, but prog? No. Zeppelin did do a number of songs that I would consider prog, but they are not here on this album. But I do think that this is a decent album. The best cuts on here are Out On the Tiles, Dancing Days, Hey Hey What Can ... (read more)

Report this review (#906074) | Posted by wehpanzer | Monday, February 04, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) "Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin"