ENCOMIUM - A TRIBUTE TO LED ZEPPELIN

Various Genres

Various Artists (Tributes) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin album cover

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. Misty Mountain Hop - 4 Non Blondes (5:44)
2. Hey Hey What Can I Do - Hootie & The Blowfish (3:27)
3. D'yer Maker - Sheryl Crow (4:20)
4. Dancing Days - Stone Temple Pilots (3:46)
5. Tangerine - Big Head Todd and The Monsters (3:36)
6. Thank You - Duran Duran (4:32)
7. Out On The Tiles - Blind Melon (3:14)
8. Good Times Bad Times - Cracker (2:43)
9. Custard Pie - Helmet with David Yow (4:41)
10. Four Sticks - Rollins Band (3:30)
11. Going To California - Never The Bride (4:24)
12. Down By The Seaside - Robert Plant & Tori Amos (7:49)

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin lyrics

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin tabs

-See individual band albums

Atlantic 82731-2

Thanks to Evolver for the addition

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin Music

More places to buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) music online Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin ratings distribution

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin reviews

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars During the mid-nineties, the major labels all had the idea of making tribute albums of popular artists. Some were okay, some were badly done. This one is mostly tolerable, with a few good tracks and a few bad ones.

First, other than Tori Amos and Robert Plant himself (Is it bad form to record a song for your own tribute album?), none of these bands are remotely progressive. The majority would probably fall into the wide category of alternative rock. And then there's Duran Duran.

Most of the songs on this collection stay fairly close to the original Led Zep recordings. And groups like 4 Non Blondes, with a female vocalist, can sound eerily like the old Robert Plant (who himself sound more like the tired, recent Robert Plant). Blind Melon does a good job on Out On The Tiles, even though they changed the verse section.

Sheryl Crow makes D'yer Maker even more poppy. And Henry Rollins shouts out Four Sticks like it's another version of TV Party. The biggest stinker on the album is Custard Pie performed by Helmet with David Yow. Yow is right. The guy is horrible. I know it a punk thing to do, but he comes across as a mentally challenged individual (to be politically correct), and just ruins the song.

So with nothing really making this worthwhile, the best I can give it is two stars.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#289691) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 08, 2010

Review by Gatot
2 stars Oh finally this tribute is featured here. It's quite surprising to me actually that a band as strong and as solid as Led Zeppelin being tributed by younger bands with some pop backgrounds like Duran Duran for example. But as I was so curious about this then I purchased the cassette version of this one and not to my surprise that I was not impressed at all with this tribute album. I don't think any of track played here is better than the original version. There are two factors that make it hard to tribute Led Zeppelin: first is the musicianships of John Bonham as well as Jimmy Page that really characterized the Led Zeppelin sound plus the high octave vocal line of Robert Plant. It's really tough to emulate. Second, is the overall Led Zeppelin sound that really hard to emulate. It's true that I cannot get any feel that makes me impressed with this tribute. Maybe, the way to enjoy this tribute is by redefining the expectation: to enjoy it as it is and unlearn the original sound of Led Zeppelin. This is to say that Misty Mountain Hop should not be compared with the original one that has dynamic groove and so captivating. You may then try to enjoy Thank You which might not quite disappoint you that much ...may be ....

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#914497) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 16, 2013

2 stars Encomium - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin is an OK tribute album, but prog? No. Zeppelin did do a number of songs that I would consider prog, but they are not here on this album. But I do think that this is a decent album. The best cuts on here are Out On the Tiles, Dancing Days, Hey Hey What Can ... (read more)

Report this review (#906074) | Posted by wehpanzer | Monday, February 04, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Being a huge Zeppelin fan, I approached this collection hesitantly, not knowing what to expect. But also being a fan of some of these bands, I had to give it a try, mostly for curiosity sake. In my mind, I approached the album with the attitude that very few Zep songs could be improved upon, so ... (read more)

Report this review (#792064) | Posted by TCat | Saturday, July 21, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) "Encomium - A Tribute To Led Zeppelin"