THE SILENT MAN

Dream Theater The Silent Man album cover

Buy DREAM THEATER Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1994

1. The Silent Man (3:49)
2. Take The Time (Demo) (8:01)
3. Eve (5:10)

Released by EastWest Records America
Single for 'Awake'
1994

Thanks to Conor Fynes for the addition

DREAM THEATER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DREAM THEATER The Silent Man Music

Audio CD$29.95 (used)
LP awake ~ USD $26.68
LP falling into infinity ~ USD $26.68
LP metropolis pt. 2: scenes from a memory ~ USD $26.68

More places to buy DREAM THEATER music online Buy DREAM THEATER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DREAM THEATER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DREAM THEATER The Silent Man ratings distribution

DREAM THEATER The Silent Man reviews

Review by baz91
4 stars For me, this is quite an important single. Forget about The Silent Man for a minute and listen to Eve. This is an instrumental which is unlike anything that Dream Theater have done before or since. Just for 5 minutes, out goes all the metal and musical technicality, and in comes pure beauty. There are certainly very few tracks that are quite as beautiful as this. It's quite hard to believe that this song is by Dream Theater actually. I've had friends who despise Dream Theater tell me that they love this piece. The best part of the song comes at the 4 minute mark, when John Petrucci lets out a heart-wrenching guitar solo. By mellowing down like this, Dream Theater provide us with something really special. I'm actually glad that this track was never released on a studio album, as it would never make sense there. Make sure that you are one of the lucky few to hear this song!

As for the rest of the single, what can I say? The Silent Man always seemed like a strange track to me. Dream Theater don't often do acoustic, so when they do, it's interesting to see what they come up with. I guess I do like the chorus, as it's very heartwarming, if a little cheesy. It's not the kind of track you listen to Dream Theater for, but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

There's also a demo of the 'Images And Words' track Take The Time. I'm such a huge fan of this track that I love to hear it in any form (except of course the castrated form on 'Chaos in Motion', but we won't talk of that). There are no surprises in this demo, as the band seem to play this note for note as they do on the album. There are a few noticable differences though: the song seems faster and lighter, the 'Holy cow, wait a minute, c'mon, phew!' sample is missing (but curiously the Italian sample is still there) and John Petrucci comes in a few bars too early on his final guitar solo whilst James LaBrie decides to sing 'Find all you need in your mind...' not twice or four times, but an atypical three times. The sound quality is just as good as you'd hear from any studio recording. Obviously this song needed a few tweaks before being ready, but listening to this demo is great fun. In fact, listening to this whole single is fun. Three great Dream Theater tracks are on here, making it well worth hearing this single if you're a fan of the group or not.

Send comments to baz91 (BETA) | Report this review (#511038) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2011

Post a review of DREAM THEATER "The Silent Man"