NEUMOND

Novalis Neumond album cover

Buy NOVALIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Anakonda (4:03)
2. Oft sagt man mehr, wenn man schweigt (5:13)
3. Frühsport im Sachsenwald (5:48)
4. Du bist schön (4:05)

- Fred Mühlböck / vocals, flute, guitars, variophon
- Lutz Rahn / keyboards

With:
- Heinz Fröhling / basses
- Herb Geller / alto sax (2)
- Gillian Scalici / backing vocals

Lp. Vertigo/Phonogram 6435 150

NOVALIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NOVALIS Neumond Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
LP brandung ~ USD $26.36
CD flossenengel (digipack) ~ USD $15.51
LP sommerabend ~ USD $26.36

More places to buy NOVALIS music online Buy NOVALIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NOVALIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NOVALIS Neumond ratings distribution

NOVALIS Neumond reviews

Review by Progbear
2 stars Yeah, they pretty much derailed the City-Nord by this point. The ridiculous attempt at contemporizing their sound on "Frühsport im Sachsenwald" is a new low. That said, it's mostly business as usual: another instrumental intro, a couple of bland ballads, a pop tune with sax. Ho-hum.

Proceedings pick up a good deal near the end, though. Detlef Job's "Nachttraum" is an epic in the best sense of the word. It's no "Der Geigenspieler", but it's certainly better than I was expecting from this album. Better yet is the very eerie instrumental album closer "Blauer Morgen". Lutz Rahn's synth lines absolutely send chills up and down my spine. It may be worth getting the album just for that!

Send comments to Progbear (BETA) | Report this review (#42673) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 13, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I guess that this night is for me DEEPLY marked by the seal of Antoine who sadly passed away about a week ago. I only acknowledged today about the sad news.

One of his beloved band was ''Novalis''. When he asked me to review this band some months ago, I told him that I was quite resistant to German lyrics, but he was so insistent that I started some three weeks with their debut album.

Even if I knew that his health situation was extremely severe, I never thought at this moment that he wouldn't be able to read the whole batch of reviews I was going to post for this band.

I know that he didn't like the evolution of ''Novalis'' after ''Brandung'', and when I listen to this specific album, I can only cope with his feeling of course. This has nothing to do with the great ''Novalis'' of the splendid ''Banished Bridge'' of course.

Even if their latest albums were not reaching high levels, there were always some tracks, some instrumental passages which could raise the level of an album. With this ''Neumond'', I am afraid that it is not necessarily the case.

The closing track maybe. But I'm already talking about the last track of this work.just because there are hardly interesting stuff in here. The cold beauty of ''Blauer Morgen'' is saving the global feeling of this album, but still: more than two stars doesn't seem to be appropriate.

I closed my review for ''Sommerabend'' with these words: ''I dedicate this review to my friend Febus: hold on my friend. There is light after the tunnel''. I wrote it on November 29th. Antoine passed away three days later.

Unfortunately for Antoine, the light was turned off but he will always be a light for me. Repose en paix mon ami.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#192648) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars Survival is the biological imperative. Adapt or die, to quote P.W. Botha out of context. I therefore appreciate prog bands' efforts to roll with the times back in the increasingly bleak 80s, provided their compositions remain at least partly true to the progressive spirit, if not the letter of the law. CAMEL proved it could be done. NOVALIS was a more qualified success; they never produced anything awful, but by 1982 they were a very different group, with less of a defined sound.

With "Neumond", the group finally surrendered to the Digital Deities, which casts a clinical shadow over cuts like the admittedly interesting "Anakonda" and the drab title track. Moreover, pop excesses inundate whatever prog tendencies one might have found in "Oft sagt man mehr, wenn man schweigt" and "Du bist schön", although the latter does make for a hypnotic German take on ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION. Even where the group stretches out as in "Nachttraum", it seems like a watered down recycling of the already somnolent "Sommerabend".

The best cuts here are actually those that conjure up other German bands of various pedigrees. "Frühsport im Sachsenwald" sounds like something out of the AMON DUUL II playbook circa "Vive la Trance", while "Kein Frieden" could double in for "Performance"-era ELOY (I know, this album predates the Eloy work, but you will see the reference) except with Frank Bornemann finally singing in his mother tongue, which many felt he should have done out of the gate. The closer "Blauer Morgen" the best of several approximations to the nascent TANGERINE DREAM soundtrack era. It's no wonder NOVALIS was trying out these styles, as Eloy and TD in particular were enjoying significant success even at this late date. I might add that ANYONE's DAUGHTER was still pumping out quality German language product at this time, and in fact their shining "Neu Sterne", which means "New Stars" was released the same year as NOVALIS' "New Moon".

"Neumond" does represent a notable drop in quality from the excellent "Augenblicke", but it's actually somewhat better than mediocre, and 2.5 stars would be the accurate rating. A waning moon.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#246456) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009

3 stars Well, I jump from Novalis' first record to a record late in their career "Neumond" from 1982. It is the band's eighth studio album and it was released nine years after the debut. After Novalis had done a yet quite progressive album in "Augenblicke", though with a clear touch of the eighties, the ... (read more)

Report this review (#1288428) | Posted by DrömmarenAdrian | Monday, October 06, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Those who revel in the first six albums from this classically influenced German band will not even recognize this updated edition. Nevertheless, it's interesting to see how they assimulated themslves into the new decade of simpler and more clinical styles of music. The killer track here is Fruhspor ... (read more)

Report this review (#19899) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Friday, April 02, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NOVALIS "Neumond"