HEADWIND/TAILWIND (WITH FREIBAND)

2. Tailwind (10:27)

Search BASS COMMUNION Headwind/Tailwind (with Freiband) lyrics

Search BASS COMMUNION Headwind/Tailwind (with Freiband) tabs

- Steven Wilson / vocals, guitar, keyboards

Companion release to "Haze Shrapnel" on which Freiband remixed Bass Communion, this time the roles reversed. Track 1 recorded by Freiband June 2009. Track 2 created on 15th July 2009 by Bass Communion using the Freiband track as the only source material.

Thanks to Rune2000 for the addition

BASS COMMUNION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BASS COMMUNION Headwind/Tailwind (with Freiband) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Bass CommunionBass Communion
Dark Matter Distribution 2007
CenotaphCenotaph
Tonefloat 2011
Loss (CD w/DVD)Loss (CD w/DVD)
Soleilmoon 2006
DVD Audio$74.97 (used)
II/IIIII/III
Beta-Lactam Ring Records/Revol 2008
Audio CD$56.82 (used)

More places to buy BASS COMMUNION music online Buy BASS COMMUNION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BASS COMMUNION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BASS COMMUNION Headwind/Tailwind (with Freiband) ratings distribution

BASS COMMUNION Headwind/Tailwind (with Freiband) reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
1 stars Let me start by clarifying that this was my first experience of both Bass Communion and Freiband which is why I lack any reference to what either of these artists are known for with their full length studio output.

I've been interested in Bass Communion for quite some time now seeing that it's one of Steve Wilson's lesser known side projects, but haven't really had the will nor the additional funds to invest $12 in an album off iTunes. Luckily a few month back Spotify added this EP split between Bass Communion and Freiband to their digital library and I immediately took the opportunity to explore its music.

Even though I knew that Bass Communion was a project mainly based in the Progressive Electronic genre I was truly surprised by how minimalistic this music sounded. It wasn't the ambient style that I've previously encountered on works of Brian Eno or Robert Fripp, for that matter, since I sensed a clear direction into which the music was moving. Still this completely minimalistic style felt shocking considering that it was released in 2009 by a popular artist most known for heavy rock music!

The opening track by Freiband is titled Headwind and is a low-key collage of sounds all based in a cold and very abstract mood that I originally found to be pretty impressive. Unfortunately this moody was ruined by the terrible high-pitch sounds that were added towards the 4th minute of the composition and made the next few minutes really unpleasant to sit through. Eventually, towards the 8th minute, the composition returned to its calm beginnings but not without leaving the aftershock from the previous section. It really made me wonder if this piece was suppose to be some sort of a test to see the audience reaction, but what is the point in doing that? Are we just a bunch of primitive test rats that should be exposed to everything that artists throw at us without getting our say on the matter?

The second composition is titled Tailwind and happens to be a remix of Headwind which is done by Bass Communion using only the original track as its source material. Sound like an interesting experiment doesn't it? Well, the result is so horrifyingly unpleasant that I almost considered switching off the sounds once it got to that hideous 4th minute mark. Unlike the last time, Tailwind actually increases the unbearable high-pitch sounds that will most probably drive any sane person up the wall. This is coming from someone who actually managed to sit through Lou Reed's notorious Metal Machine Music without once questioning the integrity of the artist!

It goes without saying that this wasn't the introduction to Bass Communion that I was hoping for. At the same time this experience did not make me prejudices against Bass Communion's other works and I will gladly give them a go in due time.

*** star songs: Headwind (10:33)

** star songs: Tailwind (10:27)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#295795) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 22, 2010

Post a review of BASS COMMUNION "Headwind/Tailwind (with Freiband)"