LIVE IN NOTTINGHAM

Kevin Peek, - electric and acoustic guitars;
Tristan Fry, - kit and percussion;
Steve Gray, - piano and synthesizers;
Herbie Flowers, - basses, ukulele, tuba;
Paul Hart, - violin, synthesizers, mandolin.

Live recording from BBC. See also the Caravan and the Hatfield & The North albums in the same series.

Thanks to toroddfuglesteg for the addition

SKY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SKY Live in Nottingham Music

Live in NottinghamLive in Nottingham
2004
Audio CD$100.00 (used)

More places to buy SKY music online Buy SKY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SKY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SKY Live in Nottingham ratings distribution

SKY Live in Nottingham reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Son of Hotta

As far as I'm aware, there are three (officially released) live recordings by Sky: the live concert video Live In Concert: Bremen, Germany 1980 (actually filmed and recorded in 1979 and released on DVD in 2005); Five Live (a double vinyl album originally released in 1983 but subsequently re-released in CD); and the present one, Live In Nottingham (recorded and filmed in 1991, but made available on CD--and also on DVD under the Classic Rock Legends banner--in 2002). Out of these three live releases, my first choice is without a doubt the Live In Concert: Bremen, Germany video, which despite a less than perfect sound and picture quality captures the band at their best and in my opinion this recording outshines the band's studio albums. My least favourite of the three is the incoherent Five Live album, which admittedly has several highlights, but overall lacks direction. This brings us to the present recording which falls in between those two in terms of quality.

I think it is fair to say that these three live releases focus on different aspects of the band: while the Bremen recording focuses on the band's progressive side, and Five Live more on the band's jazzy side, Live In Nottingham focuses on the band's Easy-Listening side. The latter showcases an altogether more laid back band. The three live recordings together give a nice overview. One thing that makes Live In Nottingham stand out is the presence of violin, mandolin, and ukelele.

The performance starts with Son Of Hotta (from 1983's Cadmium) and ends with Hotta (from 1980's Sky 2). The first of these is obviously intended as a follow-up to the second. Together with Cannonball (from the self-titled debut from 1979) the two Hotta-numbers are the most rocking tracks here, but they are somewhat less rocking than other versions of these tunes. These are certainly good and enjoyable versions, but I can't help note that the band feels and sounds somewhat tired here compared to the aforementioned Live In Concert: Bremen film.

Jehad is a Middle-Eastern-sounding number that is not present on any studio recording. It is dark and atmospheric yet never degenerates into ambient territory. I like it. Reverie similarly never appeared on a studio album. It is a beautiful, mellow, Classical piece driven by grand piano and acoustic guitar. It is very solemn to the point of almost sending you to sleep--in a good way! It is at this point that we get a couple of lesser numbers. Meheeco is jazzier here than the studio version (on 1981's Sky 3) and starts with a rather long improvisational part that I don't value highly. Still, that one is much less of a problem than the downright awful Would You say I'm In Love With You which features cheesy keyboard sounds and an unbearable tropical-island-beat. This is something you would expect in a touristy bar in some tropical holiday resort, not on a Rock album). Praeludium again represents the Classical side of the band and is a decent slice of Classical/Rock fusion.

Overall, a rather nice live album. (I have not seen the video version of it.)

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1052285) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 03, 2013

3 stars This band is almost forgotten now. But their first album was a multi-million seller and the two follow ups was also big commercial successes. In other words, Sky's mix of rock and classical music hit jackpot, big time. Even I bought their albums, but later sold them on again. This album was on ... (read more)

Report this review (#456023) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, June 02, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SKY "Live in Nottingham"