EROTIC CAKES

Buy GUTHRIE GOVAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Waves (5:09)
2. Erotic Cakes (3:51)
3. Wonderful Slippery Thing (3:21)
4. Ner Ner (8:05)
5. Fives (4;36)
6. Uncle Skunk (5:29)
7. Sevens (5:57)
8. Eric (5:06)
9. Slidey Boy (4:35)
10. Rhode Island Shred (2:18)
11. Hangover (6:32)

Search GUTHRIE GOVAN Erotic Cakes lyrics

Search GUTHRIE GOVAN Erotic Cakes tabs

- Guthrie Govan / guitar
- Seth Govan / bass
- Pete Riley / drums

CD Cornford Records CORN 0001 (2006 UK)
CD JTC Records JTC 001 (2011 UK)

Thanks to Anthony H. for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

GUTHRIE GOVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GUTHRIE GOVAN Erotic Cakes Music

Erotic Cakes by Guthrie Govan [Music CD]Erotic Cakes by Guthrie Govan [Music CD]
JTC Records

More places to buy GUTHRIE GOVAN music online Buy GUTHRIE GOVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GUTHRIE GOVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GUTHRIE GOVAN Erotic Cakes ratings distribution

GUTHRIE GOVAN Erotic Cakes reviews

Review by CCVP
5 stars When jazz rock and heavy metal get together

When I first saw this album, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I have never eve seen the name Guthrie Govan in my life and the album's name, Erotic Cakes, only signed to the worst expectations and even more confusing was seeing Erotic Cakes' cover on the jazz tray of the store. To my surprise, whne I first checked it, the album was not only good, but was spectacular!

Govan's music is something of an oddball. It sure is jazz rock, but not the normal kind that you would expect. Starting from the jazz part of the music, it is so fresh, vivid and emotional that you can easily relate to it. It feels like flowting in a calm, placid spot or place, wile witnessing how everything around that place is moving and changing. The rock (or metal) part of the music give it a completely different level. It gives the music more power and colour than your average jazz rock band.

Just to give an idea of how this album sound, imagine a mix of Derek Sherinian's Planet X and Inertia albums and his Planet X band, plus Fromuz's Overlook, Exivious' debut and Cynic's Traced in Air.

Grade and Final Thoughts

Maybe I have this album in such a high regard because I was caught completely off guard when I had my first listen of it, but this Guthrie Govan's solo effort is worth the masterpiece rating by its own merits. When you have the opportunity, get this album and you won't be disappointed.

Send comments to CCVP (BETA) | Report this review (#302626) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 07, 2010

Review by Starhammer
4 stars Never judge an album by its cover...

This is the first (and so far only) solo release from highly respected but little known jazz fusion guitarist, Guthrie Govan.

The Good: Whilst I enjoy solo albums from many guitarists including the likes of John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert etc. they do tend to either devolve into self indulgent exhibitions of virtuosity or compilations of various diluted styles. In both cases the rest of the instruments tend to play a more supporting role, such is the nature of the release.

Erotic Cakes is none of the above. Sure, there is no doubting Govan's technical ability, but the playing on display here is incredibly interesting, and the shredding tasteful. All of the songs have their own unique character with jazz rock undertones running throughout, and also features guest spots from Richie Kotzen and Bumblefoot. Whilst it is labelled a solo album, the bass and drums are also superb and the whole thing feels like the complete package. In fact, when performing these tracks they are billed as Erotic Cakes the band, rather than just Guthrie Govan.

The Bad: Joint award for the worst album art and worst album title of all time.

The Verdict: Looking forward to a second release!

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#453524) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 29, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Erotic Cakes' - Guthrie Govan (9/10)

Even half a decade after this has been released, there has still been some buzz over this virtuoso guitarist's work amongst friends and acquaintances. Being a guitarist myself, I can always appreciate the talent and skill- not to mention the time and effort- that it takes to become a truly great guitarist, but with all too many instrumental rock guitarists, I find myself frankly bored by much of their one-sided, overindulgent music. Enter Guthrie Govan, an English fusion guitarist who- much like Tosin Abasi of Animals As Leaders- seems to be revitalizing the scene of instrumental rock guitar. A rare masterpiece of this sort of music, Guthrie Govan's incredible skill at playing and tasteful tact of songwriting makes his debut, 'Erotic Cakes' essential listening for its style.

As the label of 'instrumental rock guitar' would imply, the center of this music is Govan's axe work, which shows him dabbling in a number of styles, including hard rock, blues, but most notably; hard-edged jazz. Throughout all of these, Guthrie Govan manages to harness his tone and give a clear, fitting sound to all of these different avenues, all the while drawing in seductive melodies and themes into his lead playing. Guthrie could be the phenomenal guitarist that he is, and still end up making a boring album if it weren't for his clever use of melodies and atmosphere in the songwriting. While there are plenty of less structured 'solo' sections where he effortlessly impresses with his beautifully flowing improvisations, each song gives the definite feeling that it is going somewhere, and that the listener isn't merely sitting by idly while Guthrie gives his virtuoso musician's equivalent of a child calling out and saying "hey, look what I can do!" 'Erotic Cakes' shows a satisfying balance of necessary showboating and quality composition. On a less positive note, these songs don't necessarily compliment each other on an albumwide scale, but each song is consistent, despite the fact that he is drawing from a number of different styles.

Making 'Erotic Cakes' an even better listen is that this is not merely a 'guitar' album; believe it or not, there are actually other musicians at work here as well, and talented ones at that. Bassist Seth Govan (Guthrie's brother, I will assume) makes some great slap bass fills here that fill out the sound beautifully, ensuring that there is always something else out there for a listener to focus on, if they want a change from the guitars. The drummer here is best suited for jazz, but manages to fluctuate based on whatever style Guthrie is leading the band into. A really excellent performance here from each member of the band.

I would really love to see Guthrie Govan churn out a second album, because without a doubt, 'Erotic Cakes' is one of the best- if not the best- instrumental rock guitar album I have ever heard. I went into it not knowing what to expect, and came out of it dazzled. A masterpiece album from a style I do not normally enjoy much. 'Erotic Cakes' has me turned on.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#505818) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 19, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars Guthrie Govan's exceptional jazz fusion solo album hits a higher batting average than many fusion guitar heroes' outputs. The secret seems to be that Govan has maintained the highest standard of quality control when it comes to what compilations deserve to win a place on here, with some of these compositions dating back a decade. With a solid band behind him, good compositions, and a keen sense of where the line lies between quality, impressive technical fusion and empty guitar noodling, and a thoroughly modern sound which shows no inclination to wallow in nostalgia, Govan has crafted a truly impressive fusion album here - a triumph of quality over quantity.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1120701) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 25, 2014

4 stars I met this album few years ago, because of my friend which play guitar. He gave me this album, because he was very suprised of Guthrie technique. And I must say, that anyone except Guthrie Govan is not able to play this. I think that we can call it "modern fusion", its sound "freshy" for me i think ... (read more)

Report this review (#1163145) | Posted by grubyluki | Saturday, April 19, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 10/10 Never judge an album by its cover! (And its title!) The first time I heard of Guthrie Govan was when I heard he was the guitarist of masterpiece The Raven That Refused to Sing and Other Stories, from the genius Steven Wilson, who had assembled an impeccable line-up for this album. Al ... (read more)

Report this review (#1157026) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, April 03, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guthrie Govan is one of a rare kind of guitarist (and musician) who manages to effortlessly fuse technicality, musicality and creativity. In Guthrie's case, all of these come in abundance and are the reasons why he's made such a big name for himself as a guitarist. Guthrie's extremely inventive fusi ... (read more)

Report this review (#1137199) | Posted by Talbot | Tuesday, February 25, 2014 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I admit to that I hate dong this here, because I'd rather invite attention to works deserving exposure, as opposed to be negative towards perhaps well-meaning attempt that don't really come off. My attention to this album was raised by the overall high rating by contributors. It ended up be ... (read more)

Report this review (#1124556) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Friday, January 31, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First of all, you should know that Guthrie Govan is one of the world's best guitarists. If you can't enjoy fast and technical guitar playing; this may not be for you. Although, this CD also features some very sexy and smooth melodies. Seth Govan (Guthrie's brother) played bass for this record. ... (read more)

Report this review (#460910) | Posted by fingerboy18 | Monday, June 13, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GUTHRIE GOVAN "Erotic Cakes"