SPARKS

1. Wonder Girl (2:20)
2. Fa La Fa Lee (2:53)
3. Roger (2:37)
4. High C (3:12)
5. Fletcher Honorama (4:15)
6. Simple Ballet (3:52)
7. Slowboat (3:54)
8. Biology 2 (3:09)
9. Saccharin and the War (4:02)
10. Big Bands (4:15)
11. (No More) Mr. Nice Guys (5:47)

Search SPARKS Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Sparks tabs

- Harley Feinstein / drums
- Ron Mael / organ, piano, keyboards, vocals
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Earle Mankey / guitar, vocals (8)
- James Mankey / bass, guitar

Reunion records

Thanks to for the addition
and to Snow Dog (Data Standards) for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Sparks Music

Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
Left Coast AngstLeft Coast Angst
Imports 2014
MELVIN SPARKS with HANK CRAWFORD "Tight" (1996, OUT OF PRINT) US $7.00 Buy It Now 37m 25s
Groove on Up * by Melvin Sparks *New CD* US $13.90 Buy It Now 41m 30s
Sparks Fly Upward by Batzz in the Belfry (CD, 2006, Batzz in the Belfry) US $8.19 Buy It Now 46m 7s
Agent Sparks : Red Rover CD (2006) US $4.24 Buy It Now 46m 39s
SPARKS UK 1994 6 MIX CD Single When Do I Get To Sing My Way 234462 MINT US $6.40 Buy It Now 54m 54s
SPARKS UK 1995 CD Single WHEN I KISS YOU I Hear Charlie Parker Playing 26426.2 US $4.79 Buy It Now 55m 5s
Sparks, (2 LPs), No Secrets. 1 in Heaven & Introducing, Both NM/EX-1977-79 US $28.95 Buy It Now 55m 43s
Beachwood Sparks [CD New] US $11.80 Buy It Now 59m 14s
Sparks-beat the clock.7" US $6.41 Buy It Now 1h
Lot of 3 American Idol CD's Carrie Underwood,Jordin Sparks and 1 One Direction US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 10m
ATLANTIC 12" SINGLE, PROMO, SPARKS, I PREDICT, DMD 325, 33 RPM US $9.50 Buy It Now 1h 49m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE - REMASTERED CD ALBUM + BONUS TRACKS - MINT US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
SPARKS - INDISCREET - REMASTERED CD ALBUM + BONUS TRACKS - MINT US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
ROCK SYNTH POP/ Sparks - Big Beat (LP) US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
ROCK SYNTH POP/ Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To (LP) US $23.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
SPARKS - The calm before the storm - UK Promo CD single US $3.19 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Orbiter : Sparks on a String CD (2002) US $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 12m
SPARKS Dick Around CD Gut single interview Ron Mael US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
POWER POP ROCK/ Graham Parker And The Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks (LP) US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
RADIO STARS From a rabbit 7" vinyl record single sparks & johns children related US $1.59 [0 bids]
(CD) SPARKS - Sparks In Outer Space / Germany Import / CMP 62008 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
NOS (PS) SPARKS....I PREDICT US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
1 CENT CD Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks US $0.01 [1 bids]
Rasheed aka Maylay Sparks Half Da Story Mixtape CD Last Emperor Dilated Peoples US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
SPARKS**EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP**CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 3h 12m
LARRY SPARKS - 40 [LARRY SPARKS] - NEW CD US $11.61 Buy It Now 3h 17m
SPARKS this town ain't big enough for both of us 7" b/w barbecutie (wip6193) uk US $8.40 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Sparks EXTENDED 12 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REMASTERED 17 Tracks New Sealed 2 CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Larry Sparks: Brand New Broken Heart / Kentucky Chimes 45 - Bluegrass US $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
SPARKS**BIG BEAT (REMASTERED WITH BONUS MATERIAL)**CD US $11.79 Buy It Now 3h 45m
SPARKS USA '75 Island DJ 7" 45 LOOKS LOOKJS LOOKS rare promo US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 53m
GLEAMING SPIRES sealed Songs of the Spires LP/Posh Boy/SPARKS US $19.98 [0 bids]
ATL-80160 SPARKS Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $8.99 [0 bids]
RNOR-70410 SPARKS So Important OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $4.99 [0 bids]
RNOR-70841 SPARKS Interior Design OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
MCA-5780 SPARKS Music That You Can Dance To OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
GLEAMING SPIRES sealed Party aka Funk For Children EP/Posh Boy/SPARKS US $19.98 [0 bids]
NEW Introducing Sparks by Sparks CD (CD) US $22.24 Buy It Now 4h 13m
RANDY SPARKS - THE BIG NIGHT - ROCKABILLY - RARE NEAR MINT VERVE 45 RPM RECORD US $100.00 Buy It Now 4h 16m
20th CENTURY BOYS tribute JAPAN CD T.REX SPARKS JOE WALSH CHRIS REA GRAND FUNK US $5.99 [0 bids]
LP/VINYL-BLITZ "Various Artists" 1981 RCA New Wave Bow Wow Wow Sparks Polyrock US $25.98 Buy It Now 4h 30m
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS EXCITING NEW FOLK CHORUS RANDY SPARKS LP 2 EYE MONO US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
MINTON SPARKS-PERFORMING LIVE AT THE STATION INN-NASHVILLE-RARE CD-NEW-2010-13T US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Tupolev - Towers Of Sparks [CD New] US $20.53 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Jim Sparks Crying Like I Do 7" vinyl 45 rpm PRIVATE US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 7m
SPARKS**INDISCREET (REMASTERED W/BONUS MATERIAL)**CD US $11.79 Buy It Now 5h 10m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS**TARNISHED GOLD**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Yellow Red Sparks [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 5h 14m
SIXTEEN DELUXE-EMITS SHOWERS OF SPARKS-RARE U.S.ADVANCE PROMO CD-16-1998-FULL CD US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 16m
SPARKS**NO. 1 IN HEAVEN**CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 5h 23m
SPARKS: History Of Sparks (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 25m
MIRANDA COSGROVE**SPARKS FLY (DELUX VERSION)**CD US $12.88 Buy It Now 5h 39m
CLINTON SPARKS i wanna dance 12" Mint- CS001 Vinyl Record US $11.25 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Sparks Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins CD Synthpop 1995 US $3.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS JAPAN MINI KIMONO MY HOUSE SHM-CD US $45.00 [0 bids]
RADIO STARS songs for swinging lovers LP wik5 uk chiswick '77 sparks jet john's US $26.00 Buy It Now 7h 34m
45 Record RANDY SPARKS - THESE THOUSAND HILLS - NM US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Sparks : Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat [Us Import] CD (1998) US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 2m
RUBEN WILSON-the cisco kid-CURTIS MAYFIELD--melvin sparks-canada VG++ US $8.59 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks Red Rover NEW ships Fast not a promo combined shipping US $3.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly - Miranda Cosgrove New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $12.25 Buy It Now 8h 50m
WOODSTAR - COLD COLD HEART / LIFE SPARKS RED FLAME / LOVE THAN HATE (CD Single) US $1.59 Buy It Now 8h 58m
SOUNDS 1985 AUG 3 ROBERT CRAY ZZ SPARKS TIN TIN DUFFY US $14.41 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 6m
PRINCE Delirious 12" LP 33rpm SPARKS philippines MADONNA Everybody DEVO US $89.99 Buy It Now 10h 11m
Jordin Sparks - Self-titled (CD, Nov-2007) FAST SHIP US $4.38 Buy It Now 10h 50m
TREVOR SPARKS* JUST ONCE * GYAS - 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
THE LOTUS EATERS SOUL IN SPARKS ARISTA 45 IMPORT US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 11m
TELEX SEX '81 oop rare lp orig pvc8910 w/lyrics by SPARKS electronic new wave!! US $39.00 Buy It Now 11h 34m
FOUR SPARKS: My Sweet Juanita (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 11h 58m
KYLIE MINOGUE LIMITED INTO THE BLUE SOLD OUT 7" VINYL 2 TRACK SPARKS NEW MINT US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS, LARRY the footsteps of tradition VG/M- JAPAN LAX(KB)6004 | 14-0124-010 US $21.99 Buy It Now 12h 55m
SPARKS, LARRY where the sweet waters flow VG/G USA OHS90035 | 14-0122-050 US $16.99 Buy It Now 12h 55m
LARRY SPARKS - OLD CHURCH YARD NEW CD US $14.15 Buy It Now 13h 7m
4 VCD's KATY PERRY USHER MADONNA RIHANNA COLDPLAY JORDIN SPARKS CHRIS BROWN US $21.90 Buy It Now 13h 35m
VALLEY GIRL-OST-RARE 6 SONG MINI ALBUM-WITHDRAWN LP-SEALED!!-JOSIE COTTON-SPARKS US $79.99 Buy It Now 14h 9m
SPARKS 2 X 12" VINYL PROMO WHEN DO I GET TO SING 'MY WAY' LOGIC LUK 049 EX+ US $20.76 Buy It Now 14h 14m
Jordin Sparks 'Tattoo' Promo CD single US $3.19 [0 bids]
LARRY SPARKS - JOHN DEERE TRACTOR NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 14h 28m
SPARKS "7" SINGLE. US $6.40 Buy It Now 14h 56m
REUBEN WILSON GROOVE GREASE Melvin Sparks Soul Jazz CD US $11.75 Buy It Now 15h
The Tarnished Gold by Beachwood Sparks *New CD* US $11.02 Buy It Now 15h 8m
Squeezing Out Sparks *New CD* US $8.65 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Jordin Sparks / self titled Jordin Sparks (LIKE NEW 14 track CD) Steve Lipson !! US $2.99 Buy It Now 15h 22m
CD. THE CATHERINE WHEEL - SPARKS ARE GONNA FLY VERY RARE Gatefold UK PROMO US $1.75 [0 bids]
Little Kirk & Trever Sparks - Youth And Youth LP dancehall ragga US $32.07 Buy It Now 17h 23m
JONI MITCHELL court and & sparks LP EX original embossed cover 1974 crosby nash US $8.99 Buy It Now 17h 47m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 US $13.23 Buy It Now 18h 22m
SPARKS - DICK AROUND [US] [EP] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $11.89 Buy It Now 19h 16m
Danielle & Rochelle DJ Sparks 'THATS THE WAY / LOVE ME' US $3.19 Buy It Now 19h 23m
Beachwood Sparks - Desert Skies [Vinyl New] US $19.43 Buy It Now 20h 2m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks - 5486812 US $10.93 Buy It Now 20h 3m
SPARKS - EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP - LBRCD111X US $18.82 Buy It Now 20h 5m
Taylor swift sparks fly lim. edition #1739 Brand New and factory sealed US $159.00 [0 bids]
Sparks [LP] by Imogen Heap (Vinyl, Jun-2014, 2 Discs, RCA) US $16.78 Buy It Now 20h 25m
Larry Sparks "Live in Concert" LP Old Homestead OHS 90163 US $19.95 Buy It Now 20h 26m
SPARKS introducing LP Mint- WL Promo WLP PC 34901 w/Press Sheet, Inner US $22.50 Buy It Now 20h 37m
Omillio Sparks - The Payback - Moss - Randy Bowland - Flemuel Brown - New CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Beachwood Sparks - Once Were DJ-ONLY advance CD SubPop US $8.49 Buy It Now 20h 49m
SEAFOOD - SIGNAL SPARKS - 7" - COOKING VINYL US $1.59 [0 bids]
21h

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Sparks reviews

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Nobody could have quite realized how much back then, but pairing up Todd Rundgren with Sparks (at the time called Halfnelson, and the debut album originally had that name as well) was a match made in heaven. From the beginning, Sparks had an eccentric, bizarre vision of what rock music could sound like, and it helped immensely to have a producer in place who would accentuate rather than mute that vision. When people rave about how remarkably similar to New Wave music this album sounds despite the fact that it comes from the beginning of the 70s rather than the end, this praise is as much a comment on the fun and games in the production (which would have sounded commonplace in ten years but would have been startling to any contemporary listeners) as on the songs and styles of the album. Naturally, the album sold horribly and Rundgren was replaced for the second album, but time heals all wounds, and the album now stands out as an ahead-of-its-time enjoyable marvel.

The one track on this album that I've never been able to get behind is "Biology 2," but it should be noted that it's by guitarist Earle Mankey, and it doesn't even have Russell on vocals (Earle is responsible for the chipmunk falsetto in this one). It really sounds like a bad parody of every negative stereotype one could associate with the band; it's based around one of the worst clunky guitar riffs I've ever heard from a band I like, and it has high-pitched vocals singing incomprehensible lyrics about reproductive biology on the cellular level. Ok, I'll admit, I allow myself a dumbass smirk at "Oh hold me, you know you are my one and only phenotype, and together we could have a genotype," but I always prefer to skip it, and the album would be noticeably better without it.

The album's pretty amazing aside from that track, fortunately. Two of the tracks, "Roger" and "Saccharin and the War," were penned by Russell, and my mind tends to file them away as "minor" tracks, but they're still interesting. The lyrics to "Roger" are completely incomprehensible even when I'm reading them (hilariously, in the liner notes of my edition of the album, Ron says he doesn't understand the song), but I'm rather interested by the mix of piano, goofy keyboard sounds, and above all that weird loping riff that could be a guitar or a keyboard but still sounds incredibly bizzare either way. "Saccharin and the War" has its own set of interesting-but-bewildering lyrics, but the main appeal is definitely in the music, which starts off as centered around a warm-sounding set of guitar lines and loud bass before turning into a rousing piano-driven coda over that same loud bass and pounding drums.

The rest of the album features credits for Ron Mael, with a few shared by Russell ("Simple Ballet," "Slowboat," "Big Bands") and one shared by bassist Jim Mankey ("(No More) Mr. Nice Guys"), and it's all great to some degree or another. In the hands of a less eccentric group, the great chorus and harmonies of "Wonder Girl" would likely have been grafted into a more conventional power-pop framework, with the lyrics in the verses swapped out for something else. Instead, the sole guitar lick (props to Mark Prindle for catching that it's the first line to "Happy Trails") pops in and out sporadically, and the music mostly centers around drums jumping from channel, light music-hall piano and multiple Russells singing lines like "She was a wonder to her dad / A self-made man who owned all that he had / And after all, self-made men have daughters who just won't ball." The music of "Fa La Fa Lee" is based around a lost Cars outtake that the brothers Mael found after stealing a time machine, reworked to have some gnarly chord sequences, a guitar part that should be followed by a cry of "Charge!" immediately thereafter, a silly bass solo near the end, and a bunch of other things. Oh, and the lyrics are a lament about not being able to commit incest with one's sister because it's against the law.

Three of the remaining tracks are about music in some way: "High C" is about a former opera singer who has had difficulty adjusting to post-fame life; "Simple Ballet" is about creating a ballet for public consumption; "Big Bands" is about a former big band performer who loves the occasions when he still hears this kind of music. "High C" was Ron's favorite track from the first two albums, and that's a perfectly defensible position, even if I don't entirely share the sentiment. Musically, it's a fascinating mix of alternately menacing and jittery keyboards, pounding drums (where some of the drum breaks sound transplanted from a frantic heavy metal passage), one of the weirdest doo-wop vocal sections imaginable, and a one-second guitar part near the beginning unlike anything I can remember hearing. "Simple Ballet" sounds like a music box tune arranged for a full rock band, and there some guitar harmonics in the track that are absolutely beautiful. "Big Bands" is multi-part and its music has nothing to do with its lyrical content; it starts off based around vaudeville piano with touches of guitar here and there, before the vaudeville piano is replaced by a guitar playing jittery notes while the drums build up in volume, and finally finishing with a proto-New Wave fast part that could be considered obnoxious but sounds fine to me.

Elsewhere, "Fletcher Honorama" sounds like gibberish but isn't really (it's about a bunch of friends of Fletcher's essentially getting together for a wake before his death and hoping that he doesn't die and ruin their party), and the music is haunting in a subdued way that really reminds me a lot, in terms of atmosphere, of Dylan's "Visons of Johanna." Quiet organ giving way into soothing music-hall piano, subtle guitar textures and gentle singing dominate the bulk of the song, until the last minute when "So be sure so be sure that the boy don't die before the moooorn" starts being repeated as an ever-loudening mantra. On the other side of "Simple Ballet" comes "Slowboat," a beautiful piano-dominated anthemic ballad that would have been a huge hit in a just world. Maybe there are some goofy guitar (or keyboard maybe?) noises in the middle, but that shouldn't have been enough to hold back a song with a vocal melody that feels so compact and yet so expansive (these should be contradictory descriptions but somehow they're not), and the guitar solo that dominates the last minute is a perfect capstone. Finally, there's the album closer "(No More) Mr. Nice Guys," which shows the band doing its best to make a heavy rocker with what's essentially a jangle guitar tone. I admit that the incongruity between the implicit heaviness and the relatively wimpy guitar tone sounds a little goofy, and I've come across people who hate this song largely for this reason. That said, I think the noisy guitar solo in the middle is every bit as effective as a more traditionally heavy metal solo would be, and I like how nasty Russell makes his voice in parts (especially whenever he sings "The Nice Guys cannot and the Nice Guys shall not, the Nice Guys will not win / won't suffice"), and I find the song pretty great overall.

While I wouldn't quite call this the band's best (by the slightest margin, I would say that the high points on Kimono move that one beyond this), I would definitely say that anybody who considers themselves a serious rock historian needs to hear this album a couple of times. It's definitely an album that somebody could reasonably dislike were they so inclined (possible complaints: too twee, too nonsensical, "Biology 2" is the worst thing ever written), but even as my fandom of the band has tempered through the years, I've found that this one still holds up really well for me. If you don't like this or Kimono, Sparks is probably not for you.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1123353) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Review by Warthur
4 stars Before Sparks were Sparks, they got together with Todd Rundgren to create this debut album originally issued under the band's old name of Halfnelson. The askew Mael brothers approach to glam rock is already in evidence, and whilst it doesn't quite hit the distinctive operatic hysteria of Kimono My House it's still a credible entry in the band's discography. The flow is interrupted by Biology 2, a ditty by guitarist Earle Mankey that includes rhymes such as "phenotype" and "genotype" which ticks the "weird" box but not the "catchy" box, and if it ain't weirdly catchy arguably it isn't Sparks, but otherwise a fine debut.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1146597) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Sparks"