SPARKS

1. Wonder Girl (2:20)
2. Fa La Fa Lee (2:53)
3. Roger (2:37)
4. High C (3:12)
5. Fletcher Honorama (4:15)
6. Simple Ballet (3:52)
7. Slowboat (3:54)
8. Biology 2 (3:09)
9. Saccharin and the War (4:02)
10. Big Bands (4:15)
11. (No More) Mr. Nice Guys (5:47)

Search SPARKS Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Sparks tabs

- Harley Feinstein / drums
- Ron Mael / organ, piano, keyboards, vocals
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Earle Mankey / guitar, vocals (8)
- James Mankey / bass, guitar

Reunion records

Thanks to for the addition
and to Snow Dog (Data Standards) for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Sparks Music

The Best of SparksThe Best of Sparks
Repertoire 2000
Sparks / Woofer in Tweeter's ClothingSparks / Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing
Edsel Records UK 2013
Sparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in StockholmSparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in Stockholm
Multiple Formats
Standing Room Only 2005
DVD$161.27
Sparks - Kimono My House - Island Records - 87 818 ETSparks - Kimono My House - Island Records - 87 818 ET
Island Records
Vinyl$22.98 (used)
SparksSparks
Rhino/Wea UK 2008
Loaded & Loud - Patton Band Sparks (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.17 Buy It Now 30m 4s
Gabe Dixon One Spark CD '11 (never played) USD $2.00 Buy It Now 34m 59s
THE BEST OF NORTHERN TRACKS LP SRLM502 SPARK VG+! USD $4.04 [1 bids]
42m
Captain Beefheart - Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 To 1972 NEW LP USD $84.02 Buy It Now 1h
Lot of 3 Pop Rock Hip Hop Music CDs Rihanna, Leona Lewis, Jordan Sparks USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Nichols Sparks, Mssage in a Bottle Cassettes USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $14.99 Buy It Now
Jordin Sparks [Jordin Sparks] [886971875225] New CD USD $16.10 Buy It Now 1h 27m
SEA FRUIT - Looking For Sparks - 1999 3 TRACK CD SINGLE USD $1.34 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks NEW CD USD $6.73 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks, Good USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
A Spark In the Aether: The Music That Died Alone, Vol. 2 New CD USD $13.93 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Ron Russell Mael Sparks Pre Printed Autographed 10" x 8" Photo Print USD $8.10 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Sparks Fly, Miranda Cosgrove, Good USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
TRAFFIC "The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" LP USD $0.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS big beat Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $39.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS propaganda Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $39.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS PROMO EMPTY BOX Japan mini lp cd USD $15.00 [0 bids]
CD Marching Band "Spark Large" lo-fi pop rock 2008 INDUSTRY ADVANCE USD $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 36m
(FF498) Herculean, Sparks - 2014 DJ CD USD $2.10 Buy It Now 2h 36m
SPARKS terminal jive Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $29.99 [0 bids]
TREVOR SPARKS ** TEENAGER IN LOVE ** DIGITAL ENGLISH -- REGGAE-12" USD $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS in outer space Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $29.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS no.1 in heaven Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $29.99 [0 bids]
(236S) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD USD $4.04 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Tori Amos Spark / Purple people 45rpm record 7 USD $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 45m
(EM886) The Wookies, Sparks - CD USD $2.69 Buy It Now 2h 45m
GRAHAM PARKER lot 4x LP steady nerves ANOTHER GREY AREA squeezing out sparks USD $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
ANDREW R. SPARKS "SPARKY" SELF-TITLE S/T LP EX Sparrowhawk K2509 1977 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 55m
TRAFFIC The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys LP ISLAND USD $0.99 [1 bids]
JONI MITCHELL court and & sparks LP EX original embossed cover 1974 crosby nash USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
SPARKS - rare tour concert / gig poster - oct 2012 USD $5.40 Buy It Now 3h 6m
1993 - SPARK 950 & TIMBO KING - HELLO IT'S ME - UPTOWN RECORDS ORIGINAL PROMO IL USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Angst In My Pants - Sparks (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.13 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Marianne Solivan-Spark CD NEW USD $18.65 Buy It Now 3h 9m
SPARKS & JANE WIEDLIN {80s New Wave} COOL PLACES short/long ?hear NM promo USD $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
8 TRACK ~Traffic~ "The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" ALL 4 CHANNELS PLAYED VG+ USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
BLITZ various LP Record SEALED CPL-14196 RARE Sparks Robert Ellis Orrall Shock USD $27.50 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Christian World~Soundtrak~4945~~This is My Now~~Jordin Sparks~~CD~3 Key USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Spark Of Love: Expanded Edition - Lenny Williams (CD Used Very Good) USD $9.92 Buy It Now 3h 49m
JORDIN SPARKS - RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW CD NEW+ USD $22.49 Buy It Now 4h
VIDEO STARS xtc/skids/cats uk/sparks/tourists/pretenders/etc NE 1066 LP PS VG/EX USD $12.15 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Mecca Normal, Echo b/w Fan Of Sparks, Jettison USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
The Silver Mt. Zion Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
THE ISLAND STORY ULTRA RARE AUSSIE DOUBLE LP! U2 BOB MARLEY SPARKS ROXY MUSIC USD $36.44 Buy It Now 4h 33m
TORI SPARKS - Rivers + Roads (CD 2004) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 47m
THE FOUR SPARKS: Out of This world / My Sweet Juanita NEAR MINT Orig Canada 45 USD $12.49 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Love Life Soul by Jeff Sparks (CD, Mar-2010, Arrow) + Conversations Vol 1 NEW USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Count and Spark by Joni Mitchell Cassette USD $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Sparks ex LP in Outer Space USD $9.75 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Sparks GF LP Indiscreet USD $5.49 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Sparks m- french LP The History of USD $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Sparks m- LP Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat USD $9.75 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Sparks Number m- UK EP One Song in heaven / Beat the Clock / Young Girls / USD $9.75 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Sparks promo LP Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat USD $5.49 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Spark: A Burning Man Story by Original Soundtrack (CD, 2012, 2 Discs) #HM19 USD $14.07 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Jordin Sparks, , Very Good CD USD $1.34 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Spark Of Love: Expanded Edition - Lenny Williams (2014, CD) NEW AND SEALED USD $9.41 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Sixteen Deluxe - Emits Showers of Sparks CD NM gold stamp promo USD $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Low spark of high-heeled boys, Traffic, Very Good Import USD $4.71 Buy It Now 6h 3m
SOUL - MILTON SPARKS - A CERTAIN SMILE b/w VOICE OF LOVE - HUNT 45 - PROMO USD $9.95 Buy It Now 6h 6m
TIGERBOMBS - 1OOO SPARKS b/w HEART GRENADES - RF - PIC.SLV + 45 - EU PRESSING USD $12.95 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Nate Sparks - From Where I Stand [CD New] USD $15.20 Buy It Now 6h 12m
JONI MITCHELL COURT AND SPARK VINYL LP 1974 ORIG PRESS PLAYS GREAT! VG+/VG+!!B USD $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
78RPM Magic-Tone 3012 Guy Smith, Sailing Sailing / Carey Sparks, Sailor Song V+ USD $14.95 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Traffic m- LP The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys USD $9.75 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Traffic pink rim LP The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys USD $9.75 Buy It Now 6h 21m
THE SPARKS VOL. 1 TURN PRO 4 CD USD $29.99 [1 bids]
TRAFFIC LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS VINYL LP ISLAND INNER SW 9306 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 53m
HIROMI THE TRIO PROJECT-SPARK-JAPAN SHM-CD+DVD Ltd/Ed H66 zd USD $38.50 Buy It Now 7h 28m
HIROMI THE TRIO PROJECT-SPARK-JAPAN PLATINUM SHM-CD Ltd/Ed H66 USD $37.50 Buy It Now 7h 28m
HIROMI THE TRIO PROJECT-SPARK-JAPAN SHM-CD F83 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
FRANKIE CALEN Teen 45 Spark #902 Joanie b/w Pa I Passed My Drivin Test VG++ USD $9.99 [0 bids]
EDITORS - ALL SPARKS - 2006 CD [5413356064322] USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Traffic - The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys SEALED Vinyl LP - Island A1-90026 USD $24.95 Buy It Now 7h 45m
JONI MITCHELL-COURT AND SPARK-JAPAN CD C68 USD $17.50 Buy It Now 7h 45m
CASSETTE TAPE Interior Design Sparks / RARE RHINO LABEL sealed! USD $5.19 Buy It Now 7h 51m
THE COURT & SPARK Hearts CD Alt.Country Brand New 2006 USD $2.21 Buy It Now 8h 21m
SPARKS / GRATUITOUS SAX & VIOLINS Sparks Audio CD USD $19.18 Buy It Now 8h 30m
From the Spark [Bonus Track] * by Grizfolk (CD, Mar-2014, Virgin) USD $5.34 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Spirit Guides by Evening Hymns (CD, 2009, Out of This Spark) USD $13.45 Buy It Now 8h 35m
TOM SPARKS & MOUNTAINHEATH - 45 RARE SEATLLE ROCK USD $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Olga Samaroff-piano solos/Turkish March-Sparks/2-sided 78/Victrola 825/N- USD $18.00 Buy It Now 9h 8m
SPARKS - Whomp That Sucker (Vinyl LP) USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Court And Spark USD $16.24 Buy It Now 9h 13m
The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys USD $17.24 Buy It Now 9h 14m
SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS USD $18.98 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) USD $5.90 Buy It Now 9h 22m
SPARKS ~ Tryouts For The Human Race ~ 12" Single BLUE MARBLE VINYL USD $18.49 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell (CD, Mar-2000, Elektra (Label)) USD $8.98 Buy It Now 9h 34m
Almost Home by Larry Sparks (CD, Mar-2011, Rounder) USD $16.76 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark, USD $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 6m
THE SPARKS: COOL IT & WOE, WOE; 1967 CUB 9151 VG++ FUNK PROMO 45 RPM USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Lenny Williams - Spark Of Love(Expanded Edition) Smr New cd 2014 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Sparks - Tryouts For The Human Race UK Virgin Yellow Vinyl 12" USD $20.27 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Legends of Acid Jazz by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jul-1996, Prestige) USD $13.48 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Sparks - When Do I Get To Sing "My Way" (CD Single; 6 Tracks) USD $3.45 Buy It Now 10h 36m
0 result found for "SPARKS"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results
More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Sparks reviews

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Nobody could have quite realized how much back then, but pairing up Todd Rundgren with Sparks (at the time called Halfnelson, and the debut album originally had that name as well) was a match made in heaven. From the beginning, Sparks had an eccentric, bizarre vision of what rock music could sound like, and it helped immensely to have a producer in place who would accentuate rather than mute that vision. When people rave about how remarkably similar to New Wave music this album sounds despite the fact that it comes from the beginning of the 70s rather than the end, this praise is as much a comment on the fun and games in the production (which would have sounded commonplace in ten years but would have been startling to any contemporary listeners) as on the songs and styles of the album. Naturally, the album sold horribly and Rundgren was replaced for the second album, but time heals all wounds, and the album now stands out as an ahead-of-its-time enjoyable marvel.

The one track on this album that I've never been able to get behind is "Biology 2," but it should be noted that it's by guitarist Earle Mankey, and it doesn't even have Russell on vocals (Earle is responsible for the chipmunk falsetto in this one). It really sounds like a bad parody of every negative stereotype one could associate with the band; it's based around one of the worst clunky guitar riffs I've ever heard from a band I like, and it has high-pitched vocals singing incomprehensible lyrics about reproductive biology on the cellular level. Ok, I'll admit, I allow myself a dumbass smirk at "Oh hold me, you know you are my one and only phenotype, and together we could have a genotype," but I always prefer to skip it, and the album would be noticeably better without it.

The album's pretty amazing aside from that track, fortunately. Two of the tracks, "Roger" and "Saccharin and the War," were penned by Russell, and my mind tends to file them away as "minor" tracks, but they're still interesting. The lyrics to "Roger" are completely incomprehensible even when I'm reading them (hilariously, in the liner notes of my edition of the album, Ron says he doesn't understand the song), but I'm rather interested by the mix of piano, goofy keyboard sounds, and above all that weird loping riff that could be a guitar or a keyboard but still sounds incredibly bizzare either way. "Saccharin and the War" has its own set of interesting-but-bewildering lyrics, but the main appeal is definitely in the music, which starts off as centered around a warm-sounding set of guitar lines and loud bass before turning into a rousing piano-driven coda over that same loud bass and pounding drums.

The rest of the album features credits for Ron Mael, with a few shared by Russell ("Simple Ballet," "Slowboat," "Big Bands") and one shared by bassist Jim Mankey ("(No More) Mr. Nice Guys"), and it's all great to some degree or another. In the hands of a less eccentric group, the great chorus and harmonies of "Wonder Girl" would likely have been grafted into a more conventional power-pop framework, with the lyrics in the verses swapped out for something else. Instead, the sole guitar lick (props to Mark Prindle for catching that it's the first line to "Happy Trails") pops in and out sporadically, and the music mostly centers around drums jumping from channel, light music-hall piano and multiple Russells singing lines like "She was a wonder to her dad / A self-made man who owned all that he had / And after all, self-made men have daughters who just won't ball." The music of "Fa La Fa Lee" is based around a lost Cars outtake that the brothers Mael found after stealing a time machine, reworked to have some gnarly chord sequences, a guitar part that should be followed by a cry of "Charge!" immediately thereafter, a silly bass solo near the end, and a bunch of other things. Oh, and the lyrics are a lament about not being able to commit incest with one's sister because it's against the law.

Three of the remaining tracks are about music in some way: "High C" is about a former opera singer who has had difficulty adjusting to post-fame life; "Simple Ballet" is about creating a ballet for public consumption; "Big Bands" is about a former big band performer who loves the occasions when he still hears this kind of music. "High C" was Ron's favorite track from the first two albums, and that's a perfectly defensible position, even if I don't entirely share the sentiment. Musically, it's a fascinating mix of alternately menacing and jittery keyboards, pounding drums (where some of the drum breaks sound transplanted from a frantic heavy metal passage), one of the weirdest doo-wop vocal sections imaginable, and a one-second guitar part near the beginning unlike anything I can remember hearing. "Simple Ballet" sounds like a music box tune arranged for a full rock band, and there some guitar harmonics in the track that are absolutely beautiful. "Big Bands" is multi-part and its music has nothing to do with its lyrical content; it starts off based around vaudeville piano with touches of guitar here and there, before the vaudeville piano is replaced by a guitar playing jittery notes while the drums build up in volume, and finally finishing with a proto-New Wave fast part that could be considered obnoxious but sounds fine to me.

Elsewhere, "Fletcher Honorama" sounds like gibberish but isn't really (it's about a bunch of friends of Fletcher's essentially getting together for a wake before his death and hoping that he doesn't die and ruin their party), and the music is haunting in a subdued way that really reminds me a lot, in terms of atmosphere, of Dylan's "Visons of Johanna." Quiet organ giving way into soothing music-hall piano, subtle guitar textures and gentle singing dominate the bulk of the song, until the last minute when "So be sure so be sure that the boy don't die before the moooorn" starts being repeated as an ever-loudening mantra. On the other side of "Simple Ballet" comes "Slowboat," a beautiful piano-dominated anthemic ballad that would have been a huge hit in a just world. Maybe there are some goofy guitar (or keyboard maybe?) noises in the middle, but that shouldn't have been enough to hold back a song with a vocal melody that feels so compact and yet so expansive (these should be contradictory descriptions but somehow they're not), and the guitar solo that dominates the last minute is a perfect capstone. Finally, there's the album closer "(No More) Mr. Nice Guys," which shows the band doing its best to make a heavy rocker with what's essentially a jangle guitar tone. I admit that the incongruity between the implicit heaviness and the relatively wimpy guitar tone sounds a little goofy, and I've come across people who hate this song largely for this reason. That said, I think the noisy guitar solo in the middle is every bit as effective as a more traditionally heavy metal solo would be, and I like how nasty Russell makes his voice in parts (especially whenever he sings "The Nice Guys cannot and the Nice Guys shall not, the Nice Guys will not win / won't suffice"), and I find the song pretty great overall.

While I wouldn't quite call this the band's best (by the slightest margin, I would say that the high points on Kimono move that one beyond this), I would definitely say that anybody who considers themselves a serious rock historian needs to hear this album a couple of times. It's definitely an album that somebody could reasonably dislike were they so inclined (possible complaints: too twee, too nonsensical, "Biology 2" is the worst thing ever written), but even as my fandom of the band has tempered through the years, I've found that this one still holds up really well for me. If you don't like this or Kimono, Sparks is probably not for you.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Before Sparks were Sparks, they got together with Todd Rundgren to create this debut album originally issued under the band's old name of Halfnelson. The askew Mael brothers approach to glam rock is already in evidence, and whilst it doesn't quite hit the distinctive operatic hysteria of Kimono My House it's still a credible entry in the band's discography. The flow is interrupted by Biology 2, a ditty by guitarist Earle Mankey that includes rhymes such as "phenotype" and "genotype" which ticks the "weird" box but not the "catchy" box, and if it ain't weirdly catchy arguably it isn't Sparks, but otherwise a fine debut.

Post a review of SPARKS "Sparks"