SPARKS

1. Wonder Girl (2:20)
2. Fa La Fa Lee (2:53)
3. Roger (2:37)
4. High C (3:12)
5. Fletcher Honorama (4:15)
6. Simple Ballet (3:52)
7. Slowboat (3:54)
8. Biology 2 (3:09)
9. Saccharin and the War (4:02)
10. Big Bands (4:15)
11. (No More) Mr. Nice Guys (5:47)

Search SPARKS Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Sparks tabs

- Harley Feinstein / drums
- Ron Mael / organ, piano, keyboards, vocals
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Earle Mankey / guitar, vocals (8)
- James Mankey / bass, guitar

Reunion records

Thanks to for the addition
and to Snow Dog (Data Standards) for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Sparks Music

Kimono My HouseKimono My House
PropagandaPropaganda
IndiscreetIndiscreet
No 1 Song in HeavenNo 1 Song in Heaven
Single
Oglio Records 1999
SPARKS - Something For The Girl With Everything - 1974 UK pink rimmed Island 7" US $13.43 Buy It Now 37m 13s
SPARKS - This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us - Original 1974 UK Island 7" US $13.43 Buy It Now 40m 18s
SPARKS - Amateur Hour - Scarce 1974 UK Island 'palm tree' label vinyl 7" single US $13.43 Buy It Now 44m 13s
cd-album, Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly, 8 Tracks US $8.36 Buy It Now 59m 54s
Circle of Sparks Eda Maxym & the Imagination Club CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $4.00 [0 bids]
The PRUNES Red Moon EP Malay Sparks Shabazz Disciple US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Sparks - Sparks (Halfnelson) & A Woofer In Tweeters Clothi CD US $31.55 Buy It Now 2h 15m
FictionPlane - Sparks (2010) Bonus Tracks NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $9.35 Buy It Now 2h 16m
GENESIS PINK FLOYD HAWKWIND SPARKS Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting 1974 US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 3m
SPARKS Nouveau rich sweet young brats strike Sparks Music PrArticle/Cutting 1974 US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 4m
SPARKS Interview 1974 Vintage Music Press Article/Cutting US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 4m
SPARKS 'AMATEUR HOUR' UK 7" SINGLE US $1.66 Buy It Now 3h 41m
SPARKS TOOTS MAYTALS OSIBISA gig guide Vintage Music Press article/cutting 1974 US $20.17 Buy It Now 4h
SPARKS DAVID BOWIE Live review Vintage Music Press article/cutting/clipping 1974 US $20.17 Buy It Now 4h
Bingo Players & Will Sparks - Onelove Sound Machine 2013 [CD New] US $21.44 Buy It Now 4h 9m
LARRY SPARKS - RAMBLIN' BLUEGRASS - NEW CD US $6.06 Buy It Now 4h 9m
SPARKS GOGO - Shayou - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
SPARKS Get in the Swing/Profile 7" Vinyl 70's Classic US $2.44 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Sparks - Angst In My Pants [CD New] US $9.14 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat: Expanded [CD New] US $12.35 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Sparks - Angst In My Pants [CD New] US $12.67 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Sparks - In Outer Space [CD New] US $12.67 Buy It Now 6h 14m
New Crack City - Clinton Sparks - New CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Angst in My Pants Sparks CD US $10.91 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Sparks Greek Theatre Concert Poster 16" x 12" Promo Photograph US $8.40 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Esther Sparks,CD,Esther and the Protesters US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 36m
RNB POPCORN 45 The Ravens - My Baby's Gone / Sparks of Rhythm - Handy Man US $18.00 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Sparks(7" Vinyl)Amateur Hour-Island-WIP 6203-UK-Ex/Ex US $10.07 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Sparks "Music That You Can Dance To" 12" Single US $4.95 Buy It Now 7h 29m
In Outer Space Sparks CD US $10.91 Buy It Now 7h 34m
STACCATOS / FIVE MAN ELECTRICAL BAND - FIRST SPARKS CANADIAN POP 65-69 ANTH 2-CD US $27.95 Buy It Now 7h 50m
SPARKS "A WOOFER IN TWEETERS CLOTHING" 1972 VG+ US $4.25 [3 bids]
SPARKS/ KIMONO MY HOUSE 1974 VG+ US $1.99 [1 bids]
Jordin Sparks Self-Titled Album Taiwan Release New with OBI cd745 US $23.65 Buy It Now 8h 17m
SPARKS/ PROPAGANDA 1974 VG+ US $1.99 [1 bids]
SPARKS - When Im With You ~ 7" Single PS US $10.91 [0 bids]
I Just Want to Thank You Lord - Larry Sparks - CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 23m
SPARKS/ ANGST IN MY PANTS 1982 EX US $5.00 [6 bids]
SPARKS/ PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT 1984 SEALED US $2.99 [1 bids]
Angst in My Pants Sparks CD 4009910476024 US $8.17 Buy It Now 8h 32m
SPARKS-FUNNY FACE-ITALIAN PS 45rpm 1981-UNIQUE LABEL US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 37m
Kylie Minogue Into the Blue 7 Inch Vinyl RARE 1500 Copies Sparks Kiss Me Once US $18.00 [0 bids]
1975 - SPARKS - Get In The Swing - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.11 Buy It Now 8h 44m
Jason Sparks - Don't I Feel 12" botchit & Scarper US $15.13 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Halfnelson (Sparks) / A Woofer In Tweeters Clothing US $17.50 Buy It Now 9h 48m
SPARKS / GET IN THE SWING / 1975 7" VG+ US $5.03 Buy It Now 10h 4m
Little Princess - Tim Sparks (2009, CD New) US $9.85 Buy It Now 10h 10m
TIM SPARKS - LITTLE PRINCESS: TIM SPARKS PLAYS NAFTULE NEW CD US $21.97 Buy It Now 10h 23m
SPARKS - IN OUTER SPACE (BONUS) (TRACKS) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.74 Buy It Now 10h 24m
SPARKS - Young Girls/Just Because You Love Me (PS, English Import) US $9.00 Buy It Now 10h 42m
Sparks - Balls (Limited Edition) (CD 2000) NEW & SEALED US $14.25 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Sparks - music that you can dance to - Magic #623620 US $11.75 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Sparks - Amateur hour UK 7" US $6.71 Buy It Now 11h
SPARKS - Progress - PROMO SYNTH POP 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 35m
MELVIN SPARKS "Spark Plug" orig '71 Prestige LP (leon spencer/idris muhammad) US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 52m
SPARKS - NO. 1 IN HEAVEN [4009910476826] - NEW CD US $8.58 Buy It Now 12h 25m
SPARKS - A WOOFER IN TWEETER'S CLOTHING (BEARSVILLE K45510) UK 1973 ROCK LP US $10.09 [6 bids]
SPARKS - INDISCREET (ISLAND ILPS 9345) UK 1975 LP IN GATEFOLD COVER US $3.70 [3 bids]
1 CENT CD: Clinton Sparks 'Maybe You've Brainwashed' PA US $0.01 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks ~ NEW CD (Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings (USA)) US $6.95 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Celtic Harp Sparks!, Phyllis Taylor Sparks, Good US $11.71 Buy It Now 13h 7m
16 SIXTEEN DELUXE-Emits Showers Of Sparks-SWINGSET-Cd's US $8.49 Buy It Now 13h 49m
SPARKS Something For The Girl/Marry Me 45 RPM 1974 US $28.00 Buy It Now 13h 53m
SPARKS Get In The Swing/Profile 45 RPM 1975 US $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Randy Sparks 1960 Verve lp US $16.00 Buy It Now 14h 6m
LP-SPARKS/KIMONO MY HOUSE/ISLAND,1974/INSERT/EX US $7.99 [0 bids]
NME Morrissey: Songs To Save Your Life 17-trk CD NEW The Slits Sparks Ludus Gene US $8.39 Buy It Now 14h 25m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF THE SPARKS NEW CD US $20.05 Buy It Now 14h 32m
SPARKS "SPORTS / COOL PLACES" RARE ATLANTIC 89866 US $7.75 Buy It Now 14h 33m
SPARKS: PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK; 1984 ATLANTIC 89616 MINT- PROMO 45 RPM US $11.00 Buy It Now 14h 44m
Sparks - Whomp That Sucker - 1981 WLP Japanese Vinyl LP US $92.45 Buy It Now 14h 47m
Beachwood Sparks S/T LP Bomp 2000 BLP-4077 EX Sub Pop US $10.00 [1 bids]
LOST SOULS -SOUL TALK---1997--MARK SPARKS, SUNSHINE ANDERSON---HIP HOP CD US $1.00 Buy It Now 14h 54m
JORDIN SPARKS "TATTOO (REMIXES)" 2007 *MINT* PROMO! 12" US $5.85 Buy It Now 14h 54m
Jordin Sparks, Battlefield Promo CD Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 14h 57m
Jordin Sparks, Tattoo Promo CD Single US $8.39 Buy It Now 15h
Sparks 45 Pretending To Be Drunk "PROMO COPY" 1984 Atlantic Records #7-89616 US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Crowley,Adrian - Season Of The Sparks (2009, CD New) US $7.09 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Sparks - Indiscreet NEW CD US $10.05 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Little Princess Tim Sparks CD US $12.53 Buy It Now 16h 30m
DAWN OF THE REPLICANTS Sparks From.. UK 5-trk promo CD US $6.71 Buy It Now 17h 11m
All Sparks Ep, Editors, Good Single, Import US $25.28 Buy It Now 17h 19m
South Side Soul Vol. 4 CD Oldies - Jay Wiggins the Sparks Carol Chandler Ascots US $13.00 Buy It Now 17h 29m
SPARKS-KIMONO MY HOUSE 2009 180 GRAM LP david bowie t rex US $15.00 [0 bids]
HANK CRAWFORD - Down on the Deuce ~ MILESTONE 9129 {nm} w/Sparks, Walton, Purdie US $17.99 Buy It Now 17h 55m
Sparks and Embers, William Eaton Ensemble, Good US $6.28 Buy It Now 18h 11m
? Pop - Go! (Tim McGovern joined The Motels) (produced by Earle Mankey of Sparks US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 11m
? Pop - Go! (Tim McGovern to Motels) prod. Earle Mankey of Sparks) TEST PRESSING US $24.99 Buy It Now 18h 18m
Agent Sparks Red Rover NEW ships Fast not a promo combined shipping US $3.99 [0 bids]
Sparks, Sparks, Good US $15.46 Buy It Now 18h 28m
Sparks: So Important 12 inch 33 rpm Vinyl Fine Art Records 1988 US $10.46 Buy It Now 18h 38m
HEAVENLY BODIES~VARIOUS~PROMO 12" *BONNIE POINTER~CHERYL LYNN~SPARKS~THE TUBES* US $1.47 Buy It Now 18h 50m
Forever 70's 4 CD Box Set Osmonds T.Rex Slade Sparks Rod Stewart Dana Free US $12.76 [11 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove US $2.99 [0 bids]
(AS842) Tommy Sparks, I'm A Rope - DJ CD US $4.62 Buy It Now 19h 5m
Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly (USA CD, 2010) Factory Sealed w./original sticker US $5.33 Buy It Now 19h 16m
1983 GET CRAZY PUNK SOUNDTRACK Ramones Sparks Lou Reed ORIGINAL PRESS SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 18m
Ruby Sparks (DVD) US $44.07 Buy It Now 19h 27m
Ruby Sparks (Blu-ray) US $47.00 Buy It Now 19h 28m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Sparks reviews

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Nobody could have quite realized how much back then, but pairing up Todd Rundgren with Sparks (at the time called Halfnelson, and the debut album originally had that name as well) was a match made in heaven. From the beginning, Sparks had an eccentric, bizarre vision of what rock music could sound like, and it helped immensely to have a producer in place who would accentuate rather than mute that vision. When people rave about how remarkably similar to New Wave music this album sounds despite the fact that it comes from the beginning of the 70s rather than the end, this praise is as much a comment on the fun and games in the production (which would have sounded commonplace in ten years but would have been startling to any contemporary listeners) as on the songs and styles of the album. Naturally, the album sold horribly and Rundgren was replaced for the second album, but time heals all wounds, and the album now stands out as an ahead-of-its-time enjoyable marvel.

The one track on this album that I've never been able to get behind is "Biology 2," but it should be noted that it's by guitarist Earle Mankey, and it doesn't even have Russell on vocals (Earle is responsible for the chipmunk falsetto in this one). It really sounds like a bad parody of every negative stereotype one could associate with the band; it's based around one of the worst clunky guitar riffs I've ever heard from a band I like, and it has high-pitched vocals singing incomprehensible lyrics about reproductive biology on the cellular level. Ok, I'll admit, I allow myself a dumbass smirk at "Oh hold me, you know you are my one and only phenotype, and together we could have a genotype," but I always prefer to skip it, and the album would be noticeably better without it.

The album's pretty amazing aside from that track, fortunately. Two of the tracks, "Roger" and "Saccharin and the War," were penned by Russell, and my mind tends to file them away as "minor" tracks, but they're still interesting. The lyrics to "Roger" are completely incomprehensible even when I'm reading them (hilariously, in the liner notes of my edition of the album, Ron says he doesn't understand the song), but I'm rather interested by the mix of piano, goofy keyboard sounds, and above all that weird loping riff that could be a guitar or a keyboard but still sounds incredibly bizzare either way. "Saccharin and the War" has its own set of interesting-but-bewildering lyrics, but the main appeal is definitely in the music, which starts off as centered around a warm-sounding set of guitar lines and loud bass before turning into a rousing piano-driven coda over that same loud bass and pounding drums.

The rest of the album features credits for Ron Mael, with a few shared by Russell ("Simple Ballet," "Slowboat," "Big Bands") and one shared by bassist Jim Mankey ("(No More) Mr. Nice Guys"), and it's all great to some degree or another. In the hands of a less eccentric group, the great chorus and harmonies of "Wonder Girl" would likely have been grafted into a more conventional power-pop framework, with the lyrics in the verses swapped out for something else. Instead, the sole guitar lick (props to Mark Prindle for catching that it's the first line to "Happy Trails") pops in and out sporadically, and the music mostly centers around drums jumping from channel, light music-hall piano and multiple Russells singing lines like "She was a wonder to her dad / A self-made man who owned all that he had / And after all, self-made men have daughters who just won't ball." The music of "Fa La Fa Lee" is based around a lost Cars outtake that the brothers Mael found after stealing a time machine, reworked to have some gnarly chord sequences, a guitar part that should be followed by a cry of "Charge!" immediately thereafter, a silly bass solo near the end, and a bunch of other things. Oh, and the lyrics are a lament about not being able to commit incest with one's sister because it's against the law.

Three of the remaining tracks are about music in some way: "High C" is about a former opera singer who has had difficulty adjusting to post-fame life; "Simple Ballet" is about creating a ballet for public consumption; "Big Bands" is about a former big band performer who loves the occasions when he still hears this kind of music. "High C" was Ron's favorite track from the first two albums, and that's a perfectly defensible position, even if I don't entirely share the sentiment. Musically, it's a fascinating mix of alternately menacing and jittery keyboards, pounding drums (where some of the drum breaks sound transplanted from a frantic heavy metal passage), one of the weirdest doo-wop vocal sections imaginable, and a one-second guitar part near the beginning unlike anything I can remember hearing. "Simple Ballet" sounds like a music box tune arranged for a full rock band, and there some guitar harmonics in the track that are absolutely beautiful. "Big Bands" is multi-part and its music has nothing to do with its lyrical content; it starts off based around vaudeville piano with touches of guitar here and there, before the vaudeville piano is replaced by a guitar playing jittery notes while the drums build up in volume, and finally finishing with a proto-New Wave fast part that could be considered obnoxious but sounds fine to me.

Elsewhere, "Fletcher Honorama" sounds like gibberish but isn't really (it's about a bunch of friends of Fletcher's essentially getting together for a wake before his death and hoping that he doesn't die and ruin their party), and the music is haunting in a subdued way that really reminds me a lot, in terms of atmosphere, of Dylan's "Visons of Johanna." Quiet organ giving way into soothing music-hall piano, subtle guitar textures and gentle singing dominate the bulk of the song, until the last minute when "So be sure so be sure that the boy don't die before the moooorn" starts being repeated as an ever-loudening mantra. On the other side of "Simple Ballet" comes "Slowboat," a beautiful piano-dominated anthemic ballad that would have been a huge hit in a just world. Maybe there are some goofy guitar (or keyboard maybe?) noises in the middle, but that shouldn't have been enough to hold back a song with a vocal melody that feels so compact and yet so expansive (these should be contradictory descriptions but somehow they're not), and the guitar solo that dominates the last minute is a perfect capstone. Finally, there's the album closer "(No More) Mr. Nice Guys," which shows the band doing its best to make a heavy rocker with what's essentially a jangle guitar tone. I admit that the incongruity between the implicit heaviness and the relatively wimpy guitar tone sounds a little goofy, and I've come across people who hate this song largely for this reason. That said, I think the noisy guitar solo in the middle is every bit as effective as a more traditionally heavy metal solo would be, and I like how nasty Russell makes his voice in parts (especially whenever he sings "The Nice Guys cannot and the Nice Guys shall not, the Nice Guys will not win / won't suffice"), and I find the song pretty great overall.

While I wouldn't quite call this the band's best (by the slightest margin, I would say that the high points on Kimono move that one beyond this), I would definitely say that anybody who considers themselves a serious rock historian needs to hear this album a couple of times. It's definitely an album that somebody could reasonably dislike were they so inclined (possible complaints: too twee, too nonsensical, "Biology 2" is the worst thing ever written), but even as my fandom of the band has tempered through the years, I've found that this one still holds up really well for me. If you don't like this or Kimono, Sparks is probably not for you.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1123353) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Review by Warthur
4 stars Before Sparks were Sparks, they got together with Todd Rundgren to create this debut album originally issued under the band's old name of Halfnelson. The askew Mael brothers approach to glam rock is already in evidence, and whilst it doesn't quite hit the distinctive operatic hysteria of Kimono My House it's still a credible entry in the band's discography. The flow is interrupted by Biology 2, a ditty by guitarist Earle Mankey that includes rhymes such as "phenotype" and "genotype" which ticks the "weird" box but not the "catchy" box, and if it ain't weirdly catchy arguably it isn't Sparks, but otherwise a fine debut.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1146597) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Sparks"