SPARKS

1. Wonder Girl (2:20)
2. Fa La Fa Lee (2:53)
3. Roger (2:37)
4. High C (3:12)
5. Fletcher Honorama (4:15)
6. Simple Ballet (3:52)
7. Slowboat (3:54)
8. Biology 2 (3:09)
9. Saccharin and the War (4:02)
10. Big Bands (4:15)
11. (No More) Mr. Nice Guys (5:47)

Search SPARKS Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Sparks tabs

- Harley Feinstein / drums
- Ron Mael / organ, piano, keyboards, vocals
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Earle Mankey / guitar, vocals (8)
- James Mankey / bass, guitar

Reunion records

Thanks to for the addition
and to Snow Dog (Data Standards) for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Sparks Music

The Best of SparksThe Best of Sparks
Repertoire 2000
Sparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in StockholmSparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in Stockholm
Multiple Formats
Standing Room Only 2005
DVD$49.95
Sparks - Live in LondonSparks - Live in London
Oglio Records 2001
DVD$16.42 (used)
Sparks / Woofer in Tweeter's ClothingSparks / Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing
Edsel Records UK 2013

sealed SONG READER by BECK 2xLP CAPITOL RECORDS jack black SPARKS jack white USD $9.99 [0 bids]
"IN OUTER SPACE" by SPARKS (1983, Atlantic Recording Corp) - 12" Vinyl Record LP USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Sparks [Digipak] by Imogen Heap (CD, Aug-2014, RCA) USD $7.59 Buy It Now 2m 10s
New Crack City - Clinton & Busta Rhymes Sparks (2007, CD New) USD $12.01 Buy It Now 8m 19s
SPARKS - Lil Beethoven - CD ** Very Good condition ** USD $63.95 Buy It Now 9m 34s
SPARKS - Lil Beethoven - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $73.75 Buy It Now 9m 38s
SIGNED THE ELEKTRIK SPARKS ELEKTRIK SPARKS THEME 12" RECORD MODERN SOUL USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9m 56s
SPARKS w/ JANE WIEDLIN (Go Go's) 45 RPM Record COOL PLACES / SPORTS Mint USD $2.79 Buy It Now 38m 35s
LARRY SPARKS You Could Have Called LP King Bluegrass Rec. 760412 US VG+ 10C USD $19.98 Buy It Now 45m 43s
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks [CD] [Like New] USD $5.00 Buy It Now 46m 59s
SPARKS A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing 1972 US White Label Promo SEALED LP Mael USD $100.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark [CD New] USD $5.48 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Sparks in the Radio by Photoglo, Jim USD $3.85 Buy It Now 1h 23m
"IN OUTER SPACE" by SPARKS (1983, Atlantic Recording Corp) - 12" Vinyl Record LP USD $12.99 [0 bids]
"IN OUTER SPACE" by SPARKS (1983, Atlantic Recording Corp) - 12" Vinyl Record LP USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Desert Skies [Digipak] * by Beachwood Sparks. USD $19.57 Buy It Now 1h 53m
El Mar [Digipak] by Tori Sparks. USD $18.95 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Melissa Hui: And Blue Sparks Burn. USD $19.89 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Spark Catchers - Beatrice & Sara Maclean Bowles (CD Used Very Good) USD $17.04 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Court & Spark - Mitchell,Joni (2010, CD New) USD $5.62 Buy It Now 2h
Spark by Walker, Natalie USD $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Chris De Burgh Spark To A Flame Very Best of Music Cassette A&M Label USD $2.48 Buy It Now 3h 4m
BORN INTO TROUBLE AS THE SPARK NEW & SEALED USD $15.52 Buy It Now 3h 55m
In Outer Space - Sparks (CD Used Very Good) USD $7.93 Buy It Now 4h 8m
SPARKS JUST GOT BACK FROM HEAVEN PAPER LABELS CASSETTE USD $5.62 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Joni Mitchell Court And Spark Gatefold LP USD $12.47 Buy It Now 4h 39m
SPARKS 'I Predict' 1982 French 7"/45 rpm vinyl single - MAEL BROTHERS USD $7.48 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell (CD, Mar-2000, Elektra (Label)) USD $2.55 Buy It Now 5h 36m
SPARKS 'When I'm With You' 1980 UK 7"/45 rpm vinyl single USD $6.23 Buy It Now 6h
SPARKS INDISCREET Island 75 USA orig LP EX VINYL USD $12.47 Buy It Now 6h 18m
EDITORS all sparks 5trk EP CD PIAS EU digipak Sealed USD $1.35 Buy It Now 6h 23m
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF THE SPARKS CD 10 TRACKS CLASSIC ROCK USD $25.20 Buy It Now 6h 31m
Henry Sparks - Latest Waxing - CD USD $7.48 Buy It Now 6h 36m
ROCK TRAFFIC 'LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS' LP RECORD USD $13.60 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Green Moon Sparks - Rebel With A Curse CD 12 Tracks Alternative/Rock NEW+ USD $25.17 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Dolly Varden Forgiven Now CD (flying sparks records ) USD $1.76 [0 bids]
Traffic The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys Original Sleeve USD $9.00 Buy It Now 7h 32m
MELVIN SPARKS - Texas Twister / '75 - CD ** Very Good condition ** USD $17.95 Buy It Now 7h 55m
MELVIN SPARKS - Texas Twister / '75 - CD ** Brand New ** USD $18.49 Buy It Now 8h 4m
7 punk flyer , discharge, gbh, rebellion sparks alarm, stranglers anwl skin oi USD $1.24 [0 bids]
Traffic-the Low Spark of High Heeled Boys-12" Vinyl Lp-island, Traffic,Very Good USD $10.98 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Clinton Sparks - Get Familiar 1: Maybe You've Been B... - Clinton Sparks CD 6OVG USD $5.14 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Darren Hayes Popular Aust. CD Single Rare 5 Remixes Savage Garden Tension Spark USD $6.55 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark NEW CD USD $6.09 Buy It Now 9h 46m
SPARKS GO GO-QUARTER OF CENTURY BOOTLEG-JAPAN 2 CD G78 USD $29.50 Buy It Now 9h 48m
Sparks In Outer Space Lp w Cool Places USD $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Sparks When I Kiss You 5 mixes Usa 12" USD $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Brendon Benson - Tiny Spark - Scarce 2002 3trk CD USD $5.60 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Sparks When I Kiss You 5 mixes Usa Dj 12" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Sparks Modesty Plays, Angst In My Pants France 12" USD $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Sparks Change extended, Uk 12" USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Sparks When Do I Get My Way US DJ 12" USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Sparks Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat Lp USD $17.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Sparks Tryouts For The Human Race Uk 12" Blue Vinyl USD $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Sparks So Important 3 mixes Us 12" Sealed! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Sparks I Predict Club , Singles Mixes RARE US DJ 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Sparks Music That You Can Dance To US DJ 12" USD $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Sparks With All My Might US DJ 12" USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Alpha Band Spark In The Dark Us Lp USD $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Sparks When I Kiss You 3 mixes German Dj 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Get Crazy Soundtrack Ramones ,Sparks , Fear Us Lp USD $16.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Sparks No 1 in Heaven 4 mixes Tin Tin Out Europe 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Sparks Beat The Clock 1998 Y2K RARE US DJ 12" USD $17.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Sparks Indiscreet US Lp USD $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Sparks Tips For Teens / Don't Shoot Me Uk 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Sparks Whomp That Sucker US Lp USD $29.99 Buy It Now 10h
DJ Whoo Kid & Red Cafe - Hennessy and Haze CD 2006 CLINTON SPARKS KONKRETE KAOS USD $2.48 Buy It Now 10h
Get Crazy Soundtrack Ramones ,Sparks , Fear Us Lp USD $16.99 Buy It Now 10h
Earle Mankey Real World Ep Sparks USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Sparks No 1 in Heaven 3 mixes Tin Tin Out Dj12" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Sparks Tryouts For The Human Race Uk 12" Yellow Vinyl USD $29.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Sparks When Do I Get To Sing My Way Double Dj Uk 12" USD $22.99 Buy It Now 10h 4m
Sparks All You Ever Think About Is Sex extended Usa 12" USD $22.99 Buy It Now 10h 4m
Sparks Young Girls, Just Because You Love Me EP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Sparks Rosebud 2 mixes Uk 12" USD $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 5m
JONI MITCHELL - COURT AND SPARK VINYL LP 11 TRACKS POP INTERNATIONAL NEW+ USD $27.05 Buy It Now 10h 11m
One Spark - Gabe Dixon Compact Disc USD $17.11 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Will Sparks CONCERT POSTER - live music show gig tour poster USD $7.48 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Jordin Sparks CD (2007, 19/Jive Recordings) American Idol USD $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 45m
SPARKS-ORIGINAL FULL PAGE ADVERT WHOMP THAT SUCKER USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Willie & Ruth "Love Me" Spark 105 7" 45 USD $21.50 [17 bids]
Jordin Sparks - Battlefield (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) USD $3.59 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Cassette America's Best Country Hits From RCA and Champion Spark Plugs USD $1.99 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Larry Sparks - Kentucky Banjo (& Lonesome Ramblers) - Bluegrass USD $10.40 Buy It Now 11h 22m
Larry Sparks - Ramblin' Bluegrass - Bluegrass USD $10.40 Buy It Now 11h 28m
JONI MITCHELL CD - COURT AND SPARK - NEW UNOPENED USD $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 42m
TANGENT-A SPARK IN THE AETHER - THE MUSIC THAT DIED ALONE...-JAPAN CD Gi35 USD $29.50 Buy It Now 11h 48m
Joni Mitchell Court & Spark 11 Track Vinyl LP USD $15.90 Buy It Now 11h 50m
LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS [BONUS TRACKS] [REMASTER] [USED CD] USD $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
Promises Made, Promises Kept by Spark of Life USA CD G-16615 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Imogen Heap CD Sparks [Digipak] Used PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION, FREE SHIP IN US!! USD $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
50'S & 60'S 45 Johnny And The Spark-Lets - Shout Johnny Shout / Johnny Cake On R USD $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 17m
FFS CD - FFS (2015) - NEW UNOPENED - FRANZ FERDINAND AND SPARKS USD $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 18m
Sparks First LP USD $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 35m
Matisyahu - Spark Seeker NEW CD USD $9.32 Buy It Now 12h 48m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SPARKS Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Sparks reviews

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Nobody could have quite realized how much back then, but pairing up Todd Rundgren with Sparks (at the time called Halfnelson, and the debut album originally had that name as well) was a match made in heaven. From the beginning, Sparks had an eccentric, bizarre vision of what rock music could sound like, and it helped immensely to have a producer in place who would accentuate rather than mute that vision. When people rave about how remarkably similar to New Wave music this album sounds despite the fact that it comes from the beginning of the 70s rather than the end, this praise is as much a comment on the fun and games in the production (which would have sounded commonplace in ten years but would have been startling to any contemporary listeners) as on the songs and styles of the album. Naturally, the album sold horribly and Rundgren was replaced for the second album, but time heals all wounds, and the album now stands out as an ahead-of-its-time enjoyable marvel.

The one track on this album that I've never been able to get behind is "Biology 2," but it should be noted that it's by guitarist Earle Mankey, and it doesn't even have Russell on vocals (Earle is responsible for the chipmunk falsetto in this one). It really sounds like a bad parody of every negative stereotype one could associate with the band; it's based around one of the worst clunky guitar riffs I've ever heard from a band I like, and it has high-pitched vocals singing incomprehensible lyrics about reproductive biology on the cellular level. Ok, I'll admit, I allow myself a dumbass smirk at "Oh hold me, you know you are my one and only phenotype, and together we could have a genotype," but I always prefer to skip it, and the album would be noticeably better without it.

The album's pretty amazing aside from that track, fortunately. Two of the tracks, "Roger" and "Saccharin and the War," were penned by Russell, and my mind tends to file them away as "minor" tracks, but they're still interesting. The lyrics to "Roger" are completely incomprehensible even when I'm reading them (hilariously, in the liner notes of my edition of the album, Ron says he doesn't understand the song), but I'm rather interested by the mix of piano, goofy keyboard sounds, and above all that weird loping riff that could be a guitar or a keyboard but still sounds incredibly bizzare either way. "Saccharin and the War" has its own set of interesting-but-bewildering lyrics, but the main appeal is definitely in the music, which starts off as centered around a warm-sounding set of guitar lines and loud bass before turning into a rousing piano-driven coda over that same loud bass and pounding drums.

The rest of the album features credits for Ron Mael, with a few shared by Russell ("Simple Ballet," "Slowboat," "Big Bands") and one shared by bassist Jim Mankey ("(No More) Mr. Nice Guys"), and it's all great to some degree or another. In the hands of a less eccentric group, the great chorus and harmonies of "Wonder Girl" would likely have been grafted into a more conventional power-pop framework, with the lyrics in the verses swapped out for something else. Instead, the sole guitar lick (props to Mark Prindle for catching that it's the first line to "Happy Trails") pops in and out sporadically, and the music mostly centers around drums jumping from channel, light music-hall piano and multiple Russells singing lines like "She was a wonder to her dad / A self-made man who owned all that he had / And after all, self-made men have daughters who just won't ball." The music of "Fa La Fa Lee" is based around a lost Cars outtake that the brothers Mael found after stealing a time machine, reworked to have some gnarly chord sequences, a guitar part that should be followed by a cry of "Charge!" immediately thereafter, a silly bass solo near the end, and a bunch of other things. Oh, and the lyrics are a lament about not being able to commit incest with one's sister because it's against the law.

Three of the remaining tracks are about music in some way: "High C" is about a former opera singer who has had difficulty adjusting to post-fame life; "Simple Ballet" is about creating a ballet for public consumption; "Big Bands" is about a former big band performer who loves the occasions when he still hears this kind of music. "High C" was Ron's favorite track from the first two albums, and that's a perfectly defensible position, even if I don't entirely share the sentiment. Musically, it's a fascinating mix of alternately menacing and jittery keyboards, pounding drums (where some of the drum breaks sound transplanted from a frantic heavy metal passage), one of the weirdest doo-wop vocal sections imaginable, and a one-second guitar part near the beginning unlike anything I can remember hearing. "Simple Ballet" sounds like a music box tune arranged for a full rock band, and there some guitar harmonics in the track that are absolutely beautiful. "Big Bands" is multi-part and its music has nothing to do with its lyrical content; it starts off based around vaudeville piano with touches of guitar here and there, before the vaudeville piano is replaced by a guitar playing jittery notes while the drums build up in volume, and finally finishing with a proto-New Wave fast part that could be considered obnoxious but sounds fine to me.

Elsewhere, "Fletcher Honorama" sounds like gibberish but isn't really (it's about a bunch of friends of Fletcher's essentially getting together for a wake before his death and hoping that he doesn't die and ruin their party), and the music is haunting in a subdued way that really reminds me a lot, in terms of atmosphere, of Dylan's "Visons of Johanna." Quiet organ giving way into soothing music-hall piano, subtle guitar textures and gentle singing dominate the bulk of the song, until the last minute when "So be sure so be sure that the boy don't die before the moooorn" starts being repeated as an ever-loudening mantra. On the other side of "Simple Ballet" comes "Slowboat," a beautiful piano-dominated anthemic ballad that would have been a huge hit in a just world. Maybe there are some goofy guitar (or keyboard maybe?) noises in the middle, but that shouldn't have been enough to hold back a song with a vocal melody that feels so compact and yet so expansive (these should be contradictory descriptions but somehow they're not), and the guitar solo that dominates the last minute is a perfect capstone. Finally, there's the album closer "(No More) Mr. Nice Guys," which shows the band doing its best to make a heavy rocker with what's essentially a jangle guitar tone. I admit that the incongruity between the implicit heaviness and the relatively wimpy guitar tone sounds a little goofy, and I've come across people who hate this song largely for this reason. That said, I think the noisy guitar solo in the middle is every bit as effective as a more traditionally heavy metal solo would be, and I like how nasty Russell makes his voice in parts (especially whenever he sings "The Nice Guys cannot and the Nice Guys shall not, the Nice Guys will not win / won't suffice"), and I find the song pretty great overall.

While I wouldn't quite call this the band's best (by the slightest margin, I would say that the high points on Kimono move that one beyond this), I would definitely say that anybody who considers themselves a serious rock historian needs to hear this album a couple of times. It's definitely an album that somebody could reasonably dislike were they so inclined (possible complaints: too twee, too nonsensical, "Biology 2" is the worst thing ever written), but even as my fandom of the band has tempered through the years, I've found that this one still holds up really well for me. If you don't like this or Kimono, Sparks is probably not for you.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Before Sparks were Sparks, they got together with Todd Rundgren to create this debut album originally issued under the band's old name of Halfnelson. The askew Mael brothers approach to glam rock is already in evidence, and whilst it doesn't quite hit the distinctive operatic hysteria of Kimono My House it's still a credible entry in the band's discography. The flow is interrupted by Biology 2, a ditty by guitarist Earle Mankey that includes rhymes such as "phenotype" and "genotype" which ticks the "weird" box but not the "catchy" box, and if it ain't weirdly catchy arguably it isn't Sparks, but otherwise a fine debut.

Post a review of SPARKS "Sparks"