SPARKS

1. Wonder Girl (2:20)
2. Fa La Fa Lee (2:53)
3. Roger (2:37)
4. High C (3:12)
5. Fletcher Honorama (4:15)
6. Simple Ballet (3:52)
7. Slowboat (3:54)
8. Biology 2 (3:09)
9. Saccharin and the War (4:02)
10. Big Bands (4:15)
11. (No More) Mr. Nice Guys (5:47)

Search SPARKS Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Sparks tabs

- Harley Feinstein / drums
- Ron Mael / organ, piano, keyboards, vocals
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Earle Mankey / guitar, vocals (8)
- James Mankey / bass, guitar

Reunion records

Thanks to for the addition
and to Snow Dog (Data Standards) for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Sparks Music

Introducing SparksIntroducing Sparks
Absolute UK 2007
Audio CD$24.99 (used)
Sparks / Woofer in Tweeter's ClothingSparks / Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing
Edsel Records UK 2013
The Best of SparksThe Best of Sparks
Repertoire 2000
Sparks - Kimono My House - Island Records - 87 818 ETSparks - Kimono My House - Island Records - 87 818 ET
Island Records
Vinyl$24.99 (used)

Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark, Excellent USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Patton Sparks Band-Loaded and Loud CD NEW USD $10.70 Buy It Now 1h 42m
SPARKS THIS TOWN AINT BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US 7" SINGLE USD $7.33 Buy It Now 1h 42m
GET CRAZY OST RARE ISRAELI promo LP SPARKS ramones LOU REED W PRESS KITS USD $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Jordin Sparks S.O.S. (Let the Music Play) 2008 Limited Edition Promo Remixes CD USD $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Audio CD Almanac (MMX) Year of Beasts - Through the Sparks - Free Shipping USD $3.98 Buy It Now 2h 12m
SPARKS Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 1974 UK 7" VINYL SINGLE WIP 6211 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 2h 35m
(CP908) Make Sparks, Your Hearts On Fire - DJ CD USD $3.84 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Dot Dash-Spark Flame Ember Ash CD NEW USD $12.91 Buy It Now 2h 48m
(CQ18) Jordin Sparks, Battlefield - 2009 DJ CD USD $3.84 Buy It Now 2h 54m
SPARKS - TRYOUTS FOR THE HUMAN RACE 7" VINYL USD $5.13 Buy It Now 3h 5m
SPARKS UK 1994 CD Single When Do I Get To Sing My Way RADIO TRACKS USD $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Audio CD Red Rover - Agent Sparks - Free Shipping USD $5.48 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Audio CD Failures & Sparks - Chrysler - Free Shipping USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS (DELUXE EDITION) 2 CD NEW+ USD $25.20 Buy It Now 3h 27m
PETER ABRAMS Annie Danish 45PS 1961 Randy Spark USD $8.11 Buy It Now 3h 30m
SPARKS UK 1974 7" Single Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth WIP6211 USD $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 38m
SPARKS UK 1974 7" Single Something For The Girl With Everything WIP6221 USD $3.84 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF XB) USD $14.08 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Sparks 'On Tour' Hello Young Lovers 2006 UK tour programme - genuine tour merch! USD $11.56 [0 bids]
SPARKS / JIMMY SOMERVILLE The No1 Song In Heaven UK CD incl Sparks Radio Edit USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
ADRIAN MUNSEY C'est Sheep 7" UK includes Part 1 & 2 I SYNTH POP SPARKS USD $10.27 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Sparks ex 12 Progress / Sparks in the Dark / With all my Might USD $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Sparks m- french LP The History of USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Seafood - Signal Sparks (3 Track Promo CD Single 2006) USD $1.27 Buy It Now 3h 59m
CHRIS DE BURGH : SPARK TO A FLAME CD UK A&M 1989 USD $4.55 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To / The Best (CD 1990) USA Pressing USD $12.86 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Chris De Burgh Spark To A Flame (Best Of) CD USD $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
SPARKS CD USD $4.87 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Sparks ?- Tryouts For The Human Race 1979 Yellow Vinyl Picture Label 12" Vinyl USD $16.15 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Sparks - Hello Young Lovers - Japan CD Only - NEW USD $20.95 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Sparks - Young Girls - 1980 England - Virgin - VS 343 - 7" Single USD $6.36 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Sparks - Tryouts For The Human Race - 1979 England - Virgin - VS289 - 7" Single USD $6.36 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Chris de Burgh - Spark to a Flame (The Very Best of) (CD) USD $3.59 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Breanne Duren Sparks EP CD USD $7.98 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks - Graham Parker CD 1HVG USD $8.88 Buy It Now 5h 4m
SPARKS, Trevor - Magic Man - Vinyl (7") USD $8.02 Buy It Now 5h 5m
TAYLOR SWIFT-Speak Now(2010)-Spark Fly, Mean, Haunted-New AND Sealed USD $12.33 Buy It Now 5h 36m
JORDIN SPARKS : BATTLEFIELD (CD) sealed USD $10.01 Buy It Now 5h 37m
JORDIN SPARKS : JORDIN SPARKS (CD) sealed USD $10.01 Buy It Now 5h 37m
SPARKS : CUTTINGS COLLECTION -interviews etc- USD $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Spark of Insanity - Jeff Dunham Compact Disc USD $13.69 Buy It Now 5h 44m
SPARKS : CUTTINGS COLLECTION -70s/80s- USD $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 45m
SPARKS GIRL FROM GERMANY excellent+ 1973 UK VINY;L 45 SINGLE USD $3.86 [0 bids]
SPARKS - PERFUME RADIO EDIT - 2006 1-TRACK GUT PROMO CD SIGNED BY BOTH + STK BAG USD $44.99 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Krishna - Rare Bollywood Hindi Cassette - Time Audio Spark 1st USD $8.93 [0 bids]
Mr & Mrs Khiladi - Rare Bollywood Hindi Cassette - Time Audio Spark 1st USD $8.93 [0 bids]
Audio CD Sparks Street - Love Huskies - Free Shipping USD $5.21 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Audio CD Homme Robotik - Spark Lights the Friction - Free Shipping USD $5.48 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Audio CD Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks - Free Shipping USD $3.98 Buy It Now 6h
DIXON,GABE-ONE SPARK CD NEW USD $13.74 Buy It Now 6h 2m
A New Generation: Smokey Blue's Away / She's A Soldier Boy. '68 Spark SRL 1007 USD $6.43 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Beachwood Spark - Make the Robot Cowboys Cry - Beachwood Spark CD QUVG USD $10.98 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Miss Fortune - A Spark To Believe - Miss Fortune CD 3GVG USD $10.48 Buy It Now 6h 14m
FROM DYONISIAN SOUND SPARKS TO THE SILENCE OF PASG [5/5] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $13.85 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Yellow Red Sparks [VINYL] Yellow Red Sparks Vinyl USD $57.94 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Sparks-The Island Years VINYL NEW USD $138.89 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Traffic - The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys CD 80's US press CRC jimi hendrix USD $0.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Best of Traffic & Low Spark of High Heeled Boys 2LP LOT steve winwood dave mason USD $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
FROM DYONISIAN SOUND SPARKS TO THE SILENCE OF PASG [5/5] NEW CD USD $16.15 Buy It Now 6h 43m
NEW Court and Spark (180 Gram Vinyl) USD $38.82 Buy It Now 6h 45m
VG++ 1982 Sparks I Predict 12" Single Sample DJ PROMO LP Album USD $1.49 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Traffic The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys FRM-9180 180G Used Record USD $16.99 Buy It Now 7h
Heap, Imogen-SPARKS VINYL LP NEW USD $23.05 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Spark Lights the Friction : Lhomme Robotik CD (2001) USD $3.23 Buy It Now 7h 24m
New Uehara Hiromi THE TRIO PROJECT SPARK First Limited Edition CD DVD Japan F/S USD $48.00 Buy It Now 7h 33m
Linda & Funky Boys Climbing The Steps Of Love 7" Spark SRL1149 EX 1976 Climbing USD $9.63 Buy It Now 7h 37m
CD. The Sonnets - City, Spark, Fire . USD $5.60 Buy It Now 7h 48m
The Freedom Spark, Larrikin Love, Very Good USD $2.25 Buy It Now 7h 53m
The Fatback Band : DOUBLE DUTCH - Spark The Baby : Spring : 2066 777 USD $2.56 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Amadi Black Spark White Fire CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Tori Sparks - Under This Yellow Sun [New CD] USD $25.31 Buy It Now 8h
Spark Seeker USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
JONI MITCHELL-COURT AND SPARK-JAPAN CD C68 USD $14.50 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Blue Spark Venus, Meet the Moon CD USD $4.94 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Chrysler : Failures & Sparks CD (2010) USD $5.49 Buy It Now 8h 28m
HIROMI THE TRIO PROJECT-SPARK-JAPAN PLATINUM SHM-CD Ltd/Ed H66 USD $32.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell 081227986186 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $19.98 Buy It Now 8h 37m
SPARKS - New Music For Amnesiacs: The Essential Collection - CD (2xCD) USD $22.15 Buy It Now 8h 54m
Jaime Rt : Spark CD USD $3.83 Buy It Now 8h 55m
JONI MITCHELL COURT AND SPARK CASSETTE TAPE 1973 PAPER LABEL ASYLUM USD $19.27 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Agent Sparks : Red Rover CD (2006) USD $3.19 Buy It Now 9h 5m
2 lp lot earle mankey real world mau mau '81 '84 sparks halfnelson rare vinyls USD $69.00 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Darren Hayes The Tension And The Spark Taiwan Ltd w/obi CD Sealed Savage Garden USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell (CD, Mar-2000, Elektra (Label)) USD $3.89 Buy It Now 9h 36m
MOUMOON Spark AVCD-38105/B CD JAPAN NEW USD $52.00 Buy It Now 9h 37m
SPARKS 12" Music You Can Dance To USA Extended Dance Mix UNPLAYED 1986 + Sticker USD $15.41 Buy It Now 9h 37m
SPARKS 12" NOEL Dancing Is Dangerous - Long Version UNPLAYED Wrn USD $6.41 Buy It Now 9h 37m
SPARKS 12" When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) PROMO 4 TRK. MINT USD $5.13 Buy It Now 9h 37m
GRAHAM PARKER "Squeezing Out Sparks" PRISTINE- MINT JAPAN ORIG. w/ OBI USD $40.00 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Spark - Super Robot Battle Deluxe [CD New] USD $14.02 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Averkiou - Throwing Sparks [New CD] Digipack Packaging USD $12.69 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Sparks - 12 Mini LP SHM CD Japan 2009/2007 + BOX COMPLETE SET RARE OUT-OF-PRINT! USD $600.00 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Melvin Sparks - It Is What It Is - Like New CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 45m
THE CONDAS / SPARK PLUGS / 7" The Bird / Chicken Back from Grave 1960s SONICS USD $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven - 7" Vinyl Single in Picture Sleeve USD $4.49 Buy It Now 9h 48m
E.N.D. Spark the Underground CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
When Sparks Ignite [Digipak] by Darkhaus. USD $20.09 Buy It Now 9h 55m
YANG-WIRES & SPARKS CD NEW USD $12.30 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Sparks - Angst In My Pants LP Mint- SD 19347 Atlantic 1982 USA Vinyl Record USD $50.00 Buy It Now 10h 4m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SPARKS Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Sparks reviews

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Nobody could have quite realized how much back then, but pairing up Todd Rundgren with Sparks (at the time called Halfnelson, and the debut album originally had that name as well) was a match made in heaven. From the beginning, Sparks had an eccentric, bizarre vision of what rock music could sound like, and it helped immensely to have a producer in place who would accentuate rather than mute that vision. When people rave about how remarkably similar to New Wave music this album sounds despite the fact that it comes from the beginning of the 70s rather than the end, this praise is as much a comment on the fun and games in the production (which would have sounded commonplace in ten years but would have been startling to any contemporary listeners) as on the songs and styles of the album. Naturally, the album sold horribly and Rundgren was replaced for the second album, but time heals all wounds, and the album now stands out as an ahead-of-its-time enjoyable marvel.

The one track on this album that I've never been able to get behind is "Biology 2," but it should be noted that it's by guitarist Earle Mankey, and it doesn't even have Russell on vocals (Earle is responsible for the chipmunk falsetto in this one). It really sounds like a bad parody of every negative stereotype one could associate with the band; it's based around one of the worst clunky guitar riffs I've ever heard from a band I like, and it has high-pitched vocals singing incomprehensible lyrics about reproductive biology on the cellular level. Ok, I'll admit, I allow myself a dumbass smirk at "Oh hold me, you know you are my one and only phenotype, and together we could have a genotype," but I always prefer to skip it, and the album would be noticeably better without it.

The album's pretty amazing aside from that track, fortunately. Two of the tracks, "Roger" and "Saccharin and the War," were penned by Russell, and my mind tends to file them away as "minor" tracks, but they're still interesting. The lyrics to "Roger" are completely incomprehensible even when I'm reading them (hilariously, in the liner notes of my edition of the album, Ron says he doesn't understand the song), but I'm rather interested by the mix of piano, goofy keyboard sounds, and above all that weird loping riff that could be a guitar or a keyboard but still sounds incredibly bizzare either way. "Saccharin and the War" has its own set of interesting-but-bewildering lyrics, but the main appeal is definitely in the music, which starts off as centered around a warm-sounding set of guitar lines and loud bass before turning into a rousing piano-driven coda over that same loud bass and pounding drums.

The rest of the album features credits for Ron Mael, with a few shared by Russell ("Simple Ballet," "Slowboat," "Big Bands") and one shared by bassist Jim Mankey ("(No More) Mr. Nice Guys"), and it's all great to some degree or another. In the hands of a less eccentric group, the great chorus and harmonies of "Wonder Girl" would likely have been grafted into a more conventional power-pop framework, with the lyrics in the verses swapped out for something else. Instead, the sole guitar lick (props to Mark Prindle for catching that it's the first line to "Happy Trails") pops in and out sporadically, and the music mostly centers around drums jumping from channel, light music-hall piano and multiple Russells singing lines like "She was a wonder to her dad / A self-made man who owned all that he had / And after all, self-made men have daughters who just won't ball." The music of "Fa La Fa Lee" is based around a lost Cars outtake that the brothers Mael found after stealing a time machine, reworked to have some gnarly chord sequences, a guitar part that should be followed by a cry of "Charge!" immediately thereafter, a silly bass solo near the end, and a bunch of other things. Oh, and the lyrics are a lament about not being able to commit incest with one's sister because it's against the law.

Three of the remaining tracks are about music in some way: "High C" is about a former opera singer who has had difficulty adjusting to post-fame life; "Simple Ballet" is about creating a ballet for public consumption; "Big Bands" is about a former big band performer who loves the occasions when he still hears this kind of music. "High C" was Ron's favorite track from the first two albums, and that's a perfectly defensible position, even if I don't entirely share the sentiment. Musically, it's a fascinating mix of alternately menacing and jittery keyboards, pounding drums (where some of the drum breaks sound transplanted from a frantic heavy metal passage), one of the weirdest doo-wop vocal sections imaginable, and a one-second guitar part near the beginning unlike anything I can remember hearing. "Simple Ballet" sounds like a music box tune arranged for a full rock band, and there some guitar harmonics in the track that are absolutely beautiful. "Big Bands" is multi-part and its music has nothing to do with its lyrical content; it starts off based around vaudeville piano with touches of guitar here and there, before the vaudeville piano is replaced by a guitar playing jittery notes while the drums build up in volume, and finally finishing with a proto-New Wave fast part that could be considered obnoxious but sounds fine to me.

Elsewhere, "Fletcher Honorama" sounds like gibberish but isn't really (it's about a bunch of friends of Fletcher's essentially getting together for a wake before his death and hoping that he doesn't die and ruin their party), and the music is haunting in a subdued way that really reminds me a lot, in terms of atmosphere, of Dylan's "Visons of Johanna." Quiet organ giving way into soothing music-hall piano, subtle guitar textures and gentle singing dominate the bulk of the song, until the last minute when "So be sure so be sure that the boy don't die before the moooorn" starts being repeated as an ever-loudening mantra. On the other side of "Simple Ballet" comes "Slowboat," a beautiful piano-dominated anthemic ballad that would have been a huge hit in a just world. Maybe there are some goofy guitar (or keyboard maybe?) noises in the middle, but that shouldn't have been enough to hold back a song with a vocal melody that feels so compact and yet so expansive (these should be contradictory descriptions but somehow they're not), and the guitar solo that dominates the last minute is a perfect capstone. Finally, there's the album closer "(No More) Mr. Nice Guys," which shows the band doing its best to make a heavy rocker with what's essentially a jangle guitar tone. I admit that the incongruity between the implicit heaviness and the relatively wimpy guitar tone sounds a little goofy, and I've come across people who hate this song largely for this reason. That said, I think the noisy guitar solo in the middle is every bit as effective as a more traditionally heavy metal solo would be, and I like how nasty Russell makes his voice in parts (especially whenever he sings "The Nice Guys cannot and the Nice Guys shall not, the Nice Guys will not win / won't suffice"), and I find the song pretty great overall.

While I wouldn't quite call this the band's best (by the slightest margin, I would say that the high points on Kimono move that one beyond this), I would definitely say that anybody who considers themselves a serious rock historian needs to hear this album a couple of times. It's definitely an album that somebody could reasonably dislike were they so inclined (possible complaints: too twee, too nonsensical, "Biology 2" is the worst thing ever written), but even as my fandom of the band has tempered through the years, I've found that this one still holds up really well for me. If you don't like this or Kimono, Sparks is probably not for you.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Before Sparks were Sparks, they got together with Todd Rundgren to create this debut album originally issued under the band's old name of Halfnelson. The askew Mael brothers approach to glam rock is already in evidence, and whilst it doesn't quite hit the distinctive operatic hysteria of Kimono My House it's still a credible entry in the band's discography. The flow is interrupted by Biology 2, a ditty by guitarist Earle Mankey that includes rhymes such as "phenotype" and "genotype" which ticks the "weird" box but not the "catchy" box, and if it ain't weirdly catchy arguably it isn't Sparks, but otherwise a fine debut.

Post a review of SPARKS "Sparks"