SPARKS

1. Wonder Girl (2:20)
2. Fa La Fa Lee (2:53)
3. Roger (2:37)
4. High C (3:12)
5. Fletcher Honorama (4:15)
6. Simple Ballet (3:52)
7. Slowboat (3:54)
8. Biology 2 (3:09)
9. Saccharin and the War (4:02)
10. Big Bands (4:15)
11. (No More) Mr. Nice Guys (5:47)

Search SPARKS Sparks lyrics

Search SPARKS Sparks tabs

- Harley Feinstein / drums
- Ron Mael / organ, piano, keyboards, vocals
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Earle Mankey / guitar, vocals (8)
- James Mankey / bass, guitar

Reunion records

Thanks to for the addition
and to Snow Dog (Data Standards) for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Sparks Music

Best Of Sparks, The: Music That You Can Dance ToBest Of Sparks, The: Music That You Can Dance To
CURB 2011
Sparks: I Predict (Stereo Version) B/w I Predict (Mono Version)Sparks: I Predict (Stereo Version) B/w I Predict (Mono Version)
Original recording · Limited Edition

Spark, Dot Records CD 2016 USD $12.53 Buy It Now 2h 3m
SAHARA HOTNIGHTS - SPARKS NEW CD USD $11.29 Buy It Now 2h 3m
SAHARA HOTNIGHTS - SPARKS USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $10.34 Buy It Now 2h 9m
CAITLIN HARNETT TINY SPARK CD EP LIKE NEW USD $10.35 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Peppers Pepper Box UK vinyl LP album record SRLP113 SPARK 1974 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Joni Mitchell vinyl LP album record Court And Spark German AS53002 ASYLUM 1987 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Sparks Looks Looks Looks 7" vinyl single record UK WIP6249 ISLAND 1975 USD $13.47 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Jordin Sparks CD (2008) USD $3.88 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Change Sparks 7" vinyl single record UK LON69 LONDON 1985 USD $12.18 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth Sparks UK 7" vinyl single record WIP6211 USD $12.83 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Gabe Dixon - One Spark (2011) USD $3.38 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Randy Vanwarmer The Vital Spark UK CD album (CDLP) ALCD194 ALIAS RECORDS 1994 USD $16.12 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Joni Mitchell Court And Spark USA vinyl LP album record 7E-1001 ASYLUM 1974 USD $33.49 Buy It Now 2h 49m
When Do I Get To Sing My Way Sparks CD single (CD5 / 5") UK 7432123446-2 LOGIC USD $16.38 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Sparks vinyl LP album record Kimono My House - sunrise UK ILPS9272 ISLAND USD $24.46 Buy It Now 2h 54m
SPARKS NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH 7" VINYL USD $2.57 Buy It Now 2h 56m
SPARKS " BEAT THE CLOCK " 7" SINGLE EXCELLENT P/S VIRGIN VS 270 ( 1979 ) USD $3.86 Buy It Now 3h
Sea Fruit Looking For Sparks CD single (CD5 / 5") UK ECCD3032 ELECTRIC CANYON USD $12.25 Buy It Now 3h 3m
BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH - Marching With Cuckoos - Ex Con 7" Spark SRL 1135 USD $5.14 Buy It Now 3h 4m
KEITH MICHELL - I'LL GIVE YOU THE EARTH - 7" VINYL 1970 SPARK USD $9.02 Buy It Now 3h 4m
SPARKS - Get In The Swing - Excellent Condition 7" Single WIP 6236 USD $5.14 Buy It Now 3h 7m
SPARKS - In The Swing / Cassette Album Tape / 4071 USD $7.73 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Sparks Young Girls UK 7" vinyl single record VS343 VIRGIN 1980 USD $14.13 Buy It Now 3h 11m
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR - Squeezing Out Sparks - VINYL LP USD $17.15 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Mael Intuition (The Best Of SPARKS 1974-76) PHCR-12527 CD JAPAN 1997 NEW USD $78.30 Buy It Now 3h 17m
(CV571) Meursault, Dull Spark - 2012 DJ CD USD $3.29 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Rosebud Sparks UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) TOONT4 CONSOLIDATED 1987 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Sparks 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) Music That You Can Dance To UK TOONT-2 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Joni Mitchell Court And Spark - EX UK vinyl LP album record SYLA8756 ASYLUM USD $24.46 Buy It Now 3h 27m
DJ Sparks Hang Dem High 12" Yaw Records 1994 YAW 004 USD $58.06 Buy It Now 3h 30m
One Fine Morning Tommy Hunt 7" vinyl single record UK SRL1148 SPARK 1976 USD $15.10 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS Introducing Sparks red vinyl promo LP RARE 70's USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Sparks 7" vinyl single record Cool Places UK A9866 ATLANTIC 1983 USD $14.13 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Signal Sparks Seafood 7" vinyl single record UK FRY273 COOKING VINYL 2006 USD $12.83 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Jordin Sparks : Battlefield CD USD $3.46 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Christmas Evil - Pink Spark... Original Soundtrack 10" record UK USD $30.91 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Sparks CD album (CDLP) The Best Of Sparks German REP4906 REPERTOIRE USD $14.83 Buy It Now 3h 47m
When Do I Get To Sing My Way Sparks UK CD single (CD5 / 5") LOC151 USD $13.80 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Anton Shot Down In Action - Solid UK 7" vinyl single record SRL1120 SPARK 1975 USD $14.13 Buy It Now 3h 48m
This Town Ain't Big Enough - 4pr Sparks 7" vinyl single record UK WIP6193 USD $14.13 Buy It Now 4h
Plank Eye : The Spark CD USD $8.77 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Sparks Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth - P/S UK 7" vinyl single record USD $14.12 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Two Lone Swordsmen A Bag Of Blue Sparks 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK USD $44.20 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Jimmie Lunceford The Last Sparks (1941-1944) vinyl LP album record USA USD $15.42 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Sparks : Something For The Girl With Everything - Marry Me : Island : WIP.6221 USD $2.26 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Iron Cross - Little Bit O' Soul - Rare 1972 'Spark' Promo 7" Vinyl Mint minus USD $15.49 Buy It Now 4h 29m
ROSE COUSINS_We Have Made A Spark_used CD_ships from AUS!_zz4_J3 USD $9.53 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Doctor Music Peppers UK 7" vinyl single record SRL1119 SPARK 1974 USD $12.83 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Anton Shot Down In Action - 4 Prong UK 7" vinyl single record SRL1120 SPARK USD $14.13 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Funny Face Sparks UK 7" vinyl single record WHY4 WHY 1981 USD $14.13 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Sparks Propaganda - 1st - EX UK vinyl LP album record ILPS9312 ISLAND 1974 USD $37.36 Buy It Now 4h 47m
The Number One Song In Heaven - Black Vinyl Sparks UK 7" vinyl single record USD $12.83 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Pepper Box Peppers UK 7" vinyl single record SRL1100 SPARK 1973 USD $12.83 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Jordin Sparks Jordin Sparks Audio CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Gabe Dixon - One Spark - Gabe Dixon CD MGVG USD $5.98 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Richard Sparks - Bloch: America/ Concerto Grosso (Na... - Richard Sparks CD KWVG USD $8.16 Buy It Now 5h 16m
SPARKS 'BIG BEAT' CD RE-RELEASE NEW+ USD $16.66 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Seafood-signal sparks-cd single 2006 PROMO USD $3.23 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Sparks Tryouts For The Human Race 7" Single EX Vinyl Record VS 289 P/S USD $5.16 Buy It Now 5h 30m
SPARKS 'BEAT THE CLOCK' UK 7" SINGLE USD $2.57 Buy It Now 5h 33m
SPARKS 'THE NUMBER ONE SONG IN HEAVEN' UK 7" SINGLE USD $2.57 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Traffic - Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys USD $3.86 [0 bids]
Tinyfish - The Big Red Spark (CD + DVD 2010) Prog Rock USD $10.31 [0 bids]
JONI MITCHELL COURT & SPARK Asylum 74 A1B1 UK orig gatefold LP EX/EX USD $19.35 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Sparks First LP White Promo Record USD $75.00 Buy It Now 5h 51m
DOOWOP 78RPM RECORD-CURTIS IRVIN & THE SPARKS-RPM 417 USD $40.00 Buy It Now 6h
2 New Christy Minstrels LP Record Albums; Ramblin' & Today Randy Sparks USD $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
El Mar - Tori Sparks (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.93 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Tori Amos - Spark ( CD Maxi ,1998 ). USD $3.17 Buy It Now 6h 21m
GRIZFOLK-FROM THE SPARK CD NEW USD $10.58 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Sparks PROMO CD LOT Plagiarism -- F.F.S. USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Woodstar-Life sparks-2003 cd album USD $2.57 Buy It Now 6h 30m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH - ORIG DUTCH 74 PS 7" STOCKCOPY! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 31m
Music That You Can Dance To Sparks USD $20.59 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Chris de Burgh - Spark to a Flame (The Very Best of , 1989) USD $1.94 [0 bids]
SPARKS Indiscreet + 3 JAPAN Mini LP SHM CD Deluxe Package 1975 USD $55.00 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Walt Disney Randy Sparks "Hang Your Hat On The Wind" 12"LP Disneyland SEALED! M- USD $5.99 Buy It Now 8h
R&B 45 RPM RECORD- THE SPARKS - CARLTON 522 - PROMO USD $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 7m
The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys (Remastered), Island CD 2002 USD $8.91 Buy It Now 8h 19m
TIGERBOMBS 7" vinyl record 1000 SPARKS ---lot 324 USD $11.59 Buy It Now 8h 20m
BIG BOY GROVES & BAND on SPARK 114 / I Gotta New Car / Midnight Special / 78 VG+ USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Angst in My Pants [Remaster] by Sparks (CD, Mar-1999, Repertoire) USD $6.47 Buy It Now 8h 33m
SPARKS GIRL FROM GERMANY excellent+ 1973 UK VINY;L 45 SINGLE USD $3.87 [0 bids]
SPARKS YOUNG GIRLS near mint 1980 UK VINYL 45 SINGLE USD $3.87 [0 bids]
SPARKS WHEN I'M WITH YOU near mint 1980 UK VINYL 45 SINGLE USD $3.87 [0 bids]
Chris De Burgh - 'Spark to a Flame: The Very Best of Chris De Burgh' USD $4.52 Buy It Now 8h 36m
CHARLIE EARLAND: Infant Eyes USA Muse Organ Jazz Funk Melvin Sparks LP RVG NM- USD $22.00 Buy It Now 8h 44m
LP< USD $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Sweet, Y & T, Tora Tora, Sparks, Hericane Alice rock cassettes USD $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 49m
SPARKS 7" VINYL record BEAT THE CLOCK GIORGIO MORODER VIRGIN RECs VS 270 1979 USD $5.15 [0 bids]
Traffic _The low spark of high heeled boys LP USD $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Chris De Burgh: - 'Spark to a Flame: The Very Best of Chris De Burgh' USD $4.84 Buy It Now 9h
SPARKS KIMONO MY HOUSE ISLAND ILS-80058 Japan OBI Vinyl LP USD $26.01 [11 bids]
Joni Mitchell Vinyl Lot (5) S/T Wild Things - Hejira - Court And Spark - Miles USD $26.99 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Honeyend-HEARTBREAKER UK SPARK USD $2.90 [0 bids]
Sparks Set of 6"x4"Inch Photos x3 Collectable Pop Memorabilia Prints 827J116 USD $3.86 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Mark Sparks - Flute Recital [New CD] USD $13.18 Buy It Now 10h 2m
TRAFFIC - THE LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS - ISLAND-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Captain Beefheart - Sun Zoom Spark (1970 to 1972, 2014) US 4 CD BOXED SET + BOOK USD $51.56 Buy It Now 10h 10m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SPARKS Sparks ratings distribution

SPARKS Sparks reviews

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Nobody could have quite realized how much back then, but pairing up Todd Rundgren with Sparks (at the time called Halfnelson, and the debut album originally had that name as well) was a match made in heaven. From the beginning, Sparks had an eccentric, bizarre vision of what rock music could sound like, and it helped immensely to have a producer in place who would accentuate rather than mute that vision. When people rave about how remarkably similar to New Wave music this album sounds despite the fact that it comes from the beginning of the 70s rather than the end, this praise is as much a comment on the fun and games in the production (which would have sounded commonplace in ten years but would have been startling to any contemporary listeners) as on the songs and styles of the album. Naturally, the album sold horribly and Rundgren was replaced for the second album, but time heals all wounds, and the album now stands out as an ahead-of-its-time enjoyable marvel.

The one track on this album that I've never been able to get behind is "Biology 2," but it should be noted that it's by guitarist Earle Mankey, and it doesn't even have Russell on vocals (Earle is responsible for the chipmunk falsetto in this one). It really sounds like a bad parody of every negative stereotype one could associate with the band; it's based around one of the worst clunky guitar riffs I've ever heard from a band I like, and it has high-pitched vocals singing incomprehensible lyrics about reproductive biology on the cellular level. Ok, I'll admit, I allow myself a dumbass smirk at "Oh hold me, you know you are my one and only phenotype, and together we could have a genotype," but I always prefer to skip it, and the album would be noticeably better without it.

The album's pretty amazing aside from that track, fortunately. Two of the tracks, "Roger" and "Saccharin and the War," were penned by Russell, and my mind tends to file them away as "minor" tracks, but they're still interesting. The lyrics to "Roger" are completely incomprehensible even when I'm reading them (hilariously, in the liner notes of my edition of the album, Ron says he doesn't understand the song), but I'm rather interested by the mix of piano, goofy keyboard sounds, and above all that weird loping riff that could be a guitar or a keyboard but still sounds incredibly bizzare either way. "Saccharin and the War" has its own set of interesting-but-bewildering lyrics, but the main appeal is definitely in the music, which starts off as centered around a warm-sounding set of guitar lines and loud bass before turning into a rousing piano-driven coda over that same loud bass and pounding drums.

The rest of the album features credits for Ron Mael, with a few shared by Russell ("Simple Ballet," "Slowboat," "Big Bands") and one shared by bassist Jim Mankey ("(No More) Mr. Nice Guys"), and it's all great to some degree or another. In the hands of a less eccentric group, the great chorus and harmonies of "Wonder Girl" would likely have been grafted into a more conventional power-pop framework, with the lyrics in the verses swapped out for something else. Instead, the sole guitar lick (props to Mark Prindle for catching that it's the first line to "Happy Trails") pops in and out sporadically, and the music mostly centers around drums jumping from channel, light music-hall piano and multiple Russells singing lines like "She was a wonder to her dad / A self-made man who owned all that he had / And after all, self-made men have daughters who just won't ball." The music of "Fa La Fa Lee" is based around a lost Cars outtake that the brothers Mael found after stealing a time machine, reworked to have some gnarly chord sequences, a guitar part that should be followed by a cry of "Charge!" immediately thereafter, a silly bass solo near the end, and a bunch of other things. Oh, and the lyrics are a lament about not being able to commit incest with one's sister because it's against the law.

Three of the remaining tracks are about music in some way: "High C" is about a former opera singer who has had difficulty adjusting to post-fame life; "Simple Ballet" is about creating a ballet for public consumption; "Big Bands" is about a former big band performer who loves the occasions when he still hears this kind of music. "High C" was Ron's favorite track from the first two albums, and that's a perfectly defensible position, even if I don't entirely share the sentiment. Musically, it's a fascinating mix of alternately menacing and jittery keyboards, pounding drums (where some of the drum breaks sound transplanted from a frantic heavy metal passage), one of the weirdest doo-wop vocal sections imaginable, and a one-second guitar part near the beginning unlike anything I can remember hearing. "Simple Ballet" sounds like a music box tune arranged for a full rock band, and there some guitar harmonics in the track that are absolutely beautiful. "Big Bands" is multi-part and its music has nothing to do with its lyrical content; it starts off based around vaudeville piano with touches of guitar here and there, before the vaudeville piano is replaced by a guitar playing jittery notes while the drums build up in volume, and finally finishing with a proto-New Wave fast part that could be considered obnoxious but sounds fine to me.

Elsewhere, "Fletcher Honorama" sounds like gibberish but isn't really (it's about a bunch of friends of Fletcher's essentially getting together for a wake before his death and hoping that he doesn't die and ruin their party), and the music is haunting in a subdued way that really reminds me a lot, in terms of atmosphere, of Dylan's "Visons of Johanna." Quiet organ giving way into soothing music-hall piano, subtle guitar textures and gentle singing dominate the bulk of the song, until the last minute when "So be sure so be sure that the boy don't die before the moooorn" starts being repeated as an ever-loudening mantra. On the other side of "Simple Ballet" comes "Slowboat," a beautiful piano-dominated anthemic ballad that would have been a huge hit in a just world. Maybe there are some goofy guitar (or keyboard maybe?) noises in the middle, but that shouldn't have been enough to hold back a song with a vocal melody that feels so compact and yet so expansive (these should be contradictory descriptions but somehow they're not), and the guitar solo that dominates the last minute is a perfect capstone. Finally, there's the album closer "(No More) Mr. Nice Guys," which shows the band doing its best to make a heavy rocker with what's essentially a jangle guitar tone. I admit that the incongruity between the implicit heaviness and the relatively wimpy guitar tone sounds a little goofy, and I've come across people who hate this song largely for this reason. That said, I think the noisy guitar solo in the middle is every bit as effective as a more traditionally heavy metal solo would be, and I like how nasty Russell makes his voice in parts (especially whenever he sings "The Nice Guys cannot and the Nice Guys shall not, the Nice Guys will not win / won't suffice"), and I find the song pretty great overall.

While I wouldn't quite call this the band's best (by the slightest margin, I would say that the high points on Kimono move that one beyond this), I would definitely say that anybody who considers themselves a serious rock historian needs to hear this album a couple of times. It's definitely an album that somebody could reasonably dislike were they so inclined (possible complaints: too twee, too nonsensical, "Biology 2" is the worst thing ever written), but even as my fandom of the band has tempered through the years, I've found that this one still holds up really well for me. If you don't like this or Kimono, Sparks is probably not for you.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Before Sparks were Sparks, they got together with Todd Rundgren to create this debut album originally issued under the band's old name of Halfnelson. The askew Mael brothers approach to glam rock is already in evidence, and whilst it doesn't quite hit the distinctive operatic hysteria of Kimono My House it's still a credible entry in the band's discography. The flow is interrupted by Biology 2, a ditty by guitarist Earle Mankey that includes rhymes such as "phenotype" and "genotype" which ticks the "weird" box but not the "catchy" box, and if it ain't weirdly catchy arguably it isn't Sparks, but otherwise a fine debut.

Post a review of SPARKS "Sparks"