BIG BEAT

Jeff Sailin Guitar, Vocals
Jeffrey Salen Guitar
Tony Visconti Producer

Island LP 1976 # 9123014

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Big Beat Music

PlagiarismPlagiarism
Oglio Records 1998
Best ofBest of
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2000
New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
Angst in My PantsAngst in My Pants
Repertoire 1999
Sparks Street * - Love Huskies (CD 1998) US $4.50 Buy It Now 30m 59s
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 [0 bids]
32m 56s
Earle Mankey Real World Ep Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Sparks Modesty Plays, Angst In My Pants France 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks NEW CD US $8.17 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Graham Parker "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP VERY NICE!! US $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 32m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW VINYL LP ALBUM US $26.62 Buy It Now 2h 18m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW CD ALBUM US $16.63 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Sparks - kimono My House - French CD Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS (DELUXE EDITION) - NEW CD ALBUM US $23.29 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Graham Parkier and The Rumour "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 37m
NEW Sparks Fly by CD-JEWEL CASE Book Free Shipping US $17.23 Buy It Now 2h 50m
NEW MUSIC FOR 2006-BELLE & AND SEBASTIAN-Sparks/BUZZCOCKS/Mark Lanegan/UNCUT/Cd US $10.29 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Sparks-Kimono My House-CD Album-Framed CD Clock-Fantastic Gift Idea US $33.28 Buy It Now 3h 8m
SPARKS---PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT US $6.00 [0 bids]
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach [CD New] US $9.98 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks 12" Amass 1992 US $24.95 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Sparks - Balls! [CD New] US $20.81 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $7.32 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven - Extended (NEW CD) US $18.71 Buy It Now 5h 18m
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY NEW CD US $14.64 Buy It Now 5h 34m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $6.21 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Sparks 7 All You Ever Think About is Sex / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Sparks m- promo 7 Wonder Girl / Mr Nice Guy US $9.75 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Sparks EP - Near Perfect US $11.35 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $13.30 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Sparks SHORTCUTS 7 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REPERTOIRE 29 Track NEW SEALED 2 CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 6h 43m
EDITORS / ALL SPARKS / 2006 7" P/S US $8.31 Buy It Now 6h 51m
SPARKS - MAEL INTUITION THE BEST OF 74-76 CD: GREATEST HITS VERY SINGLES US $2.48 [1 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS - An Original Sound Recording-Tattoo-Freeze Shy Boy-One Step At A US $2.98 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Johnny Rivers Ricky Nelson Randy Sparks E-4256 Mono LP Record Album near mint! US $10.95 [0 bids]
Sparks, Melvin Im a Gittar Player CD US $5.81 Buy It Now 7h 47m
CORNERSTONE MIXTAPE - 46 - CLINTON SPARKS, EVIL DEE UNPLAYED MINT 3-CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 52m
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS EXCITING NEW FOLK CHORUS RANDY SPARKS LP 2 EYE MONO US $11.99 [0 bids]
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $9.30 Buy It Now 8h
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 8h 39m
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 8h 42m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $7.50 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $6.49 Buy It Now 8h 50m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 8h 58m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 9h 4m
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 29m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 9h 30m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.64 Buy It Now 9h 34m
??? ????? Jacky Cheung Sparks Of Love, RARE original 1st print CD 1992 PolydorHK US $75.00 [0 bids]
Hang Your Hat on the Wind Walt Disney Randy Sparks dh DQ-1332 EX LP Near Mint US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Randy Sparks & BPM American Gramophone Special edition open shrink1 poster 6tix US $17.00 [0 bids]
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 10h 11m
SPARKS: Beat The Clock/ Tryouts For tHe Human Race Rare CANADIAN 45 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 30m
RANDY SPARKS THREE S/T LP Verve Folk Mono US $9.99 [0 bids]
RANDY SPARKS Walkin' the Low Road LP Verve Folk Mono US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks, Sparks, Jordin, Good Import US $2.31 Buy It Now 11h 26m
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 11h 50m
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 58m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 58m
The Best of Sparks [Repertoire] [Remaster] by Sparks (CD, Aug-2000, Repertoire) US $4.36 [2 bids]
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 12h 53m
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS IN PERSON LEAD BY RANDY SPARKS-LP-NM-COLUMBIA TWO EYE US $5.99 [0 bids]
13h
TORI SPARKS - SCORPION IN THE SKY NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 13h 3m
TORI SPARKS - UNTIL MORNING / COME OUT OF THE DARK NEW CD US $22.27 Buy It Now 13h 13m
TREVOR SPARKS -SWEET REGGAE / DICKIE RANKING -REGGAE RAP /JR DEMUS / SHELLY 1991 US $0.98 [0 bids]
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $7.91 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 13h 37m
Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly [Delux +4 Bonus,12 tracks]CD, Columbia (USA) SEALED US $2.99 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS - THIS IS IT NEW CD US $22.66 Buy It Now 13h 43m
JORDIN SPARKS S.O.S. (Let The Music Play) 2009 PROMO CD / SOS US $1.99 [0 bids]
HOUSTON PERSON - Heavy Juice ~ MUSE 5260 {nm} w/Melvin Sparks, Jon Logan RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 48m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
SAD AMONG STRANGERS "Sparks Fly Upwards" UK 7" 45 Vinyl Single 1980 US $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 16m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 22m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME NEW CD US $19.98 Buy It Now 15h 43m
JAZZ COMP: .AIN'T IT FUNKY NOW 2LP, Feat. Melvin Sparks, Gene Ammons, Charles Ky US $31.46 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Oddball Folk Music Lp MEET THE BACK PORCH MAJORITY YELLOW Lbl EPIC Randy Sparks US $19.00 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 52m
MELVIN SPARKS LP, Sparkling (MUSE US Issue NM/NM) US $26.47 Buy It Now 15h 53m
SPARKS - HELLO YOUNG LOVERS NEW CD US $21.90 Buy It Now 16h 14m
Loud Earth, Sparks Audio CD US $7.12 Buy It Now 16h 42m
AUTOGRAPHED Melvin Sparks "It Is What It Is" CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.01 Buy It Now 17h 8m
coldplay - sparks X 2 CD singles (promo & independent) -yellow ( video ) + live US $21.50 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY (IMPORT) NEW CD US $15.80 Buy It Now 17h 12m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD NEW CD US $11.22 Buy It Now 17h 23m
Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks, Good US $4.74 Buy It Now 17h 38m
Now That I Own The BBC by Sparks-1994,Dance/House Import Maxi Single CD,Logic US $12.99 Buy It Now 18h 19m
MELVIN SPARKS - GROOVE ON UP NEW CD US $22.66 Buy It Now 18h 53m
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe (NEW 2CD) US $21.21 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $15.40 Buy It Now 20h 12m
SPARKS propaganda LP 11 track pink rim label design with inner in title stickere US $14.95 Buy It Now 21h 12m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep [CD New] US $17.89 Buy It Now 21h 13m
SPARKS GO GO - VARIETY - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 13m
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, New US $9.09 Buy It Now 21h 21m
SPARKS - TERMINAL JIVE - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $21.90 Buy It Now 21h 33m
Sparks - Gratuitous Sax & And Violins (NEW CD) US $18.71 Buy It Now 21h 47m
Sparks The Rescue - Eyes To The Sun (2009) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 22h 51m
Minton Sparks - Middlin Sisters (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 22h 53m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Big Beat ratings distribution

SPARKS Big Beat reviews

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars After Indiscreet showed that the band's UK art-glam approach had run its course, the brothers Mael decided it was time to do something totally different, so they returned to the US, picked up an entirely new group of session musicians and recorded an album closer to "normal" guitar rock than anything else in their catalogue. Aside from the vaudeville piano in "I Bought the Mississippi River" and some buried bits elsewhere, Ron's keyboards are essentially eliminated from the band's sound, and the emphasis of the sound is put squarely on the drums ... and the guitars and bass. Unfortunately, that sentence actually reflects the priority of the different instruments in the mix; the drums are jacked up REALLY HIGH in the mix (hence the title of the album), with the guitars sounding present but empty while the bass is present but has very little punch. It's very tempting to try and retcon an explanation for this along the lines of "Ron and Russell wanted a goofy mix to somehow satirize the fact that rock'n'roll is stylized dance music," but that's wishful thinking; the two ran away from this sound as fast as they could with their next album, and when I read that they considered the sound "bereft of personality," I get the sense that they felt this way as soon as they heard what the final pressing would sound like.

Fortunately, while the instrumentation is pretty bland and monotonous (excepting the final track), the album is still full of fascinating lyrics and strong hooks, so it's a nice listen regardless. For me, there are four tracks that are clearly top-notch, and the other seven tracks are all somewhere in the "good" range (except for "Confusion," which I find a bit of a throwaway, even if nothing about it is clearly bad). "I Bought Mississippi River," as mentioned, mingles vaudeville piano with the weird standard mix of the album, with Russell singing an awesome vocal melody set to lyrics about somebody who bought that river and now has to figure out what the hell to do with it. "Everybody's Stupid" is pure juvenile bile in the lyrics (but all the better for it; all of the verses are glorious) set to music heavily inspired by 50s rock and doo-wop, and high-pitched "Everybody's Stupid!!!" backing vocals over the extended coda never stop being funny (if, like me, you're secretly still 14 years old inside).

The other two great tracks bookend the second side and are amazing expressions of Russell/Ron's cynical attitudes towards women. "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" is everything I wish the bulk of the album could be, a magnificent speedy Cheap Trick-ish power pop number about the virtues of chasing younger women once your current flame has gotten a little out-of-date. It's a horrible sentiment, but it's a horrible sentiment expressed in the most memorable manner imaginable, and I can't resist singing along to the "Throw her away!!" backing vocals near the end if I'm alone. The final track of the album, "I Like Girls," had been part of the band's live repertoire since before Kimono, but hadn't received a satisfactory studio recording, and the arrangement (based around an awesome rising horn riff over a martial rhythm in the background, alternating with something more standard to the rest of the album) clearly betrays its earlier origins. The first verse sums up the tone of the song: "No one is restricted, no one is tied down/But the Greece of old collapsed 'cause/no one liked their girls/We won't have that problem, I'm doing my part/No one asked me but I'll still answer."

The rest of the album is mostly good, but the presentation is such that it rarely has a chance to rise far above it. The best of the lot is probably "Nothing to Do," which would have sounded magnificent if The Ramones had ever gotten around to covering it like Johnny Ramone wanted (the other band members declined), but still sounds good even with the guitars so muted. The opening "Big Boy" at least gives some clear justification to the beat- heavy mix (it's about a giant walking into town and wreaking havoc, though I'm not sure if it's about an actual giant or somebody with a giant penis), and the remaining two tracks on side one ("I Want to Be Like Everybody Else" and "Fill-er-up") are fun exercises in combining Chuck Berry licks with over-the-top spastic presentation of said licks (and, in the case of the latter, great lyrics about gorging on "fuel" with no consideration at all for the consequences). On side two, "Confusion" (as mentioned) doesn't do much for me, but the other two can't help but leave a pretty strong impression. In "Screwed Up," I'm still not actually sure how it is that anybody in the song is actually screwed up (as the chorus asserts), but the first verse is a real hoot, and the song feels like something resembling a real statement about the world at large more than most Sparks songs do, and I've always liked the tune, so I enjoy it a lot. Finally, "White Women" is about as racist, sexist and non-PC as Sparks can possibly be, but the drum heavy arrangement (with minimal guitar) really works with the song, and it's hard to imagine another context where hearing someone bellowing "AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! As long as they're white from head to toe ..." would be so enjoyable.

All in all, this is a good album, but it really strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity, and it doesn't quite crack the top tier of Sparks albums for me. Still, there's a good chunk of great material, and this is the first album from the band to not have any tracks that I find intolerably obnoxious, and thus I'd have to recommend this to anybody who thinks they might be a Sparks fan. Just don't go into it with excessive expectations and you'll be fine.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1134631) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Big Beat"