BIG BEAT

Jeff Sailin Guitar, Vocals
Jeffrey Salen Guitar
Tony Visconti Producer

Island LP 1976 # 9123014

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Big Beat Music

Interior DesignInterior Design
Rhino Records, Inc. 1990
PlagiarismPlagiarism
Oglio Records 1998
? Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat (timing strip) US $14.99 Buy It Now 33m 43s
SPARKS In Outer Space Orig 1983 Vinyl LP EX w/Lyric Sleeve Allen Zentz US $9.99 Buy It Now 34m 29s
Graham Parker & the Rumour Squeezing Out Sparks rare LP great condition US $10.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Kimono My House +inner sleeve ISLAND 1974 FREE UK POST US $26.37 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Jordin Sparks (CD 2007) 13 Songs US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 28m
ALAMALIBU - THROUGH THE SPARKS-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Exotic Creatures Of CD NEW (UK Import) US $16.36 Buy It Now 1h 35m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH RARE YUGO PRESS 7"PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin-Cool Places (PS) MINT US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Clinton Sparks presents D-BLOCK TAKE EVERYTHING/LIL' KIM/FREEWAY 12" OG PROMO US $3.99 [0 bids]
Left Coast Angst by Sparks [Import] CD (2014) Brand New Ships Worldwide US $38.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
SPARKS SPARKS CD US $6.45 Buy It Now 3h 29m
SPARKS Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" B/W Alabamy Right, Wip 6211 US $8.43 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS Something For The Girl With Everything 7" B/W Marry Me, Wip.6221 (Vinyl US $8.43 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS Tryouts For The Human Race 7" Ps, B/W Tryouts For The Human Race-Long Ve US $8.43 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS When I'M With You 7" Ps, German Issue, B/W Instrumental, 101 230 - 100 ( US $8.43 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SPARKS Young Girls 7" Ps US $10.12 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.50 [0 bids]
Sparks - Mael Intuition - The Best Of Sparks 1974 CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Sparks : In the Swing CD (1993) US $5.74 Buy It Now 4h
Sparks - Indiscreet NEW CD US $10.57 Buy It Now 4h
Sparks: When I'm With You / (Instrumental) 7" 45 NM UK Virgin CS319 US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Omillio Sparks : Pay Back CD (2007) US $3.25 Buy It Now 4h 8m
TREVOR SPARKS - GIRL ARE YOU READY / JR VIBES - HUSTLING / DIGITAL ENLGISH 1990S US $2.98 [1 bids]
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA) US $2.99 [0 bids]
(BB233) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.65 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Breanne Duren Sparks EP CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Squeezing Out Sparks [Squeezing out Sparks + Live Sparks] by Graham Parker... US $4.89 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Black Rain OST LP, Iggy Pop.Gregg Allman.UB40.Rita Mitsuoko, Sparks US $6.99 [0 bids]
BLITZ 1981 WHITE LABEL PROMO COMPILATION LP BOW WOW WOW SPARKS NEW WAVE NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 41m
SPARKS ANGST IN MY PANTS ATLANTIC RECORDS W/ORIG INNER SLEEVE NO BAR CODE US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks "Sparks/A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing" Remastered CD Best Price on Ebay US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Sparks - The Music of Sparks - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $31.17 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Rock Promo 45 RANDY SPARKS My One And Only Love on Columbia (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 46m
ULTIMIX 142 CD JONAS BROTHERS TING TINGS JORDIN SPARKS US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
FUNKYMIX 116 LP JORDAN SPARKS LIL MAMA NELLY WAYNE NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
AUTOGRAPHED Melvin Sparks "It Is What It Is" CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
MINT Import Graham Parker & Rumour SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS US $20.00 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Sparks - Big Beat (1994) CD (1976) US $13.51 Buy It Now 10h 27m
Sparks - No. 1 in Heaven CD (1999) (1979) US $13.51 Buy It Now 10h 27m
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $39.99 Buy It Now 11h
SPARKS Terminal Jive JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +3 US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h
SPARKS GO GO Jingle-Jangle CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Agent Sparks : Not So Merry: +DVD (2CDs) (2006) US $3.93 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Chrysler : Failures & Sparks CD (2010) US $6.68 Buy It Now 11h 59m
SPARKS A WOOFER IN TWEETER'S CLOTHING WEST GERMANY CD JAPAN EDIT 2800yen MSIF US $29.99 Buy It Now 12h
Photoglo,Jim - Sparks In The Radio [CD New] US $15.49 Buy It Now 12h 10m
Sparks - Terminal Jive [CD New] US $12.15 Buy It Now 12h 13m
Sparks,Larry - Coldest Part Of Winter [CD New] US $15.33 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Drakes Hotel - Sparks That March [CD New] US $10.39 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Through The Sparks - Almanac (Mmx) Year Of Beasts [CD New] US $11.18 Buy It Now 12h 18m
Jordin Sparks One Step At A Time Australian 5 Track Remixes CD Single US $9.50 Buy It Now 12h 29m
SPARKS KIMONO MY HOUSE Italy ORIGINAL issue on palm Island label. New Wave US $40.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
SPARKS ANGST IN MY PANTS Japan original OBI and 2 inserts W/L PROMO! New Wave US $65.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
SPARKS INDISCREET Italy issue on second palm Island label. New Wave US $35.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
LARRY SPARKS Where the sweetwater flows ,1974, stereo, cover ,v+++,rec,v+,v++ US $14.00 Buy It Now 14h 12m
Vietnam-PSYCHEDELIC BLUES-Beachwood Sparks/MAROON 5-Brooklyn NY/Roots Rock/Cd's US $8.99 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Philippines SPARKS Cool Places, 7" 45rpm US $60.00 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Awana Sparks Skipper handbook music CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS- LOOKS LOOKS LOOKS VINYL 7" 45RPM co US $1.67 Buy It Now 16h 27m
Sparks(7" Vinyl)Looks Looks Looks-Island-WIP 6249-UK-Ex/Ex US $11.82 Buy It Now 16h 28m
SPARKS MINTON - THIS DRESS - 8252797008 US $17.80 Buy It Now 16h 58m
SPARKS LARRY - THE COLDEST PART OF WINTER - REBCD1786 US $20.33 Buy It Now 16h 59m
SPARKS LARRY - 40 - REBCD1806 US $20.33 Buy It Now 17h
SPARKS larry & lonesome ramblers/BLUEGRASS kentucky chimes DARK HOLLOW new tape US $4.49 Buy It Now 17h 5m
SPARKS BIG BEAT JAPAN MADE SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-94101 US $65.99 Buy It Now 17h 8m
(DZ233) United Ghosts, Sparks From A Cold Star - 2013 DJ CD US $3.36 Buy It Now 17h 19m
SPARKS, Jordin - Battlefield - CD US $17.31 Buy It Now 17h 23m
GEMMA RAY Island Fire UK clear vinyl LP + download SEALED/NEW Sparks US $11.82 Buy It Now 17h 23m
RARE ROCKABILLY THE SPARKS 45 ON DECCA ROAMIN' CANDLE- GREAT GUITAR US $49.99 [0 bids]
Lasse Lindh - Sparks +1BONUS KOREA CD *SEALED* OBI US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 25m
Soundtrack / Sparkle (O.S.T) CD NEW SEALED Whitney Houston & Jordin Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 17h 26m
Beachwood Sparks by Beachwood Sparks (CD, Mar-2000, Sub Pop (USA)) US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
Beachwood Sparks Make the Cowboy Robots Cry [EP] (CD, May-2002, Sub Pop (U... US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
Beachwood Sparks Once We Were Trees (CD, Oct-2001, Sub Pop (USA)) US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
Beachwood Sparks The Tarnished Gold (CD, Jun-2012, Sub Pop (USA)) US $12.99 Buy It Now 17h 30m
SPARKS KIMONO MY HOUSE MINI LP CD OBI US $15.19 Buy It Now 17h 47m
STEVE APPLETON SPARKS JAPAN DJ CD B-783 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Introducing Us Lp US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 21m
Early Rocker **Mary, Mary, Lou** The Sparks - Decca Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 46m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.95 Buy It Now 19h 17m
Monty gum Pop Posters 1978 Kate Bush Sparks Plastic Bertrand Three Degrees US $7.94 Buy It Now 19h 32m
SPARKS---PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT US $6.00 [0 bids]
Sparks,Larry - 40 [CD New] US $15.95 Buy It Now 19h 56m
Silver Mt. Zion - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward - CST018CD US $21.40 Buy It Now 20h 5m
Sparks 12" Single Dance Godammit/All You Ever Think About Is Sex Atlantic 1983 US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 13m
ULTIMIX 142 LP JONAS BROTHERS TING TINGS SPARKS NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 17m
SPARKS~TRYOUTS FOR THE HUMAN RACE~1979 UK YELLOW VINYL / PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $15.21 Buy It Now 20h 23m
SPARKS - THE BEST OF SPARKS: MUSIC THAT YOU CAN DANCE TO - NEW CD US $14.02 Buy It Now 20h 30m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $6.99 [0 bids]
(AA224) Jordin Sparks, S.O.S (Let The Music Play) DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Adrian Crowley - Season Of The Sparks (NEW CD) US $13.93 Buy It Now 20h 45m
SPARKS JAPAN MINI LP 6 CD NEW + RARE OOP 2001 DISK UNION PROMO BOX US $500.00 Buy It Now 20h 51m
KITTEL,JEREMY-CHASING SPARKS CD NEW US $19.43 Buy It Now 21h 3m
SPARKS---INTRODUCING US $7.00 [0 bids]
THE AMOS HOUSE COLLECTION-Vol.II/Bright Eyes/ELLIOTT SMITH/Spoon/EMILY SPARKS/Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 21h 12m
SPARKS---INDISCREET US $7.00 [0 bids]
SALAAM REMI-ONE:IN THE CHAMBER-RARE 2013 PROMO CD-NE YO-JORDIN SPARKS-AKON-LEMAR US $4.99 [0 bids]
Sparks SHORTCUTS 7 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REPERTOIRE 29 Track NEW SEALED 2 CD US $12.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Big Beat ratings distribution

SPARKS Big Beat reviews

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars After Indiscreet showed that the band's UK art-glam approach had run its course, the brothers Mael decided it was time to do something totally different, so they returned to the US, picked up an entirely new group of session musicians and recorded an album closer to "normal" guitar rock than anything else in their catalogue. Aside from the vaudeville piano in "I Bought the Mississippi River" and some buried bits elsewhere, Ron's keyboards are essentially eliminated from the band's sound, and the emphasis of the sound is put squarely on the drums ... and the guitars and bass. Unfortunately, that sentence actually reflects the priority of the different instruments in the mix; the drums are jacked up REALLY HIGH in the mix (hence the title of the album), with the guitars sounding present but empty while the bass is present but has very little punch. It's very tempting to try and retcon an explanation for this along the lines of "Ron and Russell wanted a goofy mix to somehow satirize the fact that rock'n'roll is stylized dance music," but that's wishful thinking; the two ran away from this sound as fast as they could with their next album, and when I read that they considered the sound "bereft of personality," I get the sense that they felt this way as soon as they heard what the final pressing would sound like.

Fortunately, while the instrumentation is pretty bland and monotonous (excepting the final track), the album is still full of fascinating lyrics and strong hooks, so it's a nice listen regardless. For me, there are four tracks that are clearly top-notch, and the other seven tracks are all somewhere in the "good" range (except for "Confusion," which I find a bit of a throwaway, even if nothing about it is clearly bad). "I Bought Mississippi River," as mentioned, mingles vaudeville piano with the weird standard mix of the album, with Russell singing an awesome vocal melody set to lyrics about somebody who bought that river and now has to figure out what the hell to do with it. "Everybody's Stupid" is pure juvenile bile in the lyrics (but all the better for it; all of the verses are glorious) set to music heavily inspired by 50s rock and doo-wop, and high-pitched "Everybody's Stupid!!!" backing vocals over the extended coda never stop being funny (if, like me, you're secretly still 14 years old inside).

The other two great tracks bookend the second side and are amazing expressions of Russell/Ron's cynical attitudes towards women. "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" is everything I wish the bulk of the album could be, a magnificent speedy Cheap Trick-ish power pop number about the virtues of chasing younger women once your current flame has gotten a little out-of-date. It's a horrible sentiment, but it's a horrible sentiment expressed in the most memorable manner imaginable, and I can't resist singing along to the "Throw her away!!" backing vocals near the end if I'm alone. The final track of the album, "I Like Girls," had been part of the band's live repertoire since before Kimono, but hadn't received a satisfactory studio recording, and the arrangement (based around an awesome rising horn riff over a martial rhythm in the background, alternating with something more standard to the rest of the album) clearly betrays its earlier origins. The first verse sums up the tone of the song: "No one is restricted, no one is tied down/But the Greece of old collapsed 'cause/no one liked their girls/We won't have that problem, I'm doing my part/No one asked me but I'll still answer."

The rest of the album is mostly good, but the presentation is such that it rarely has a chance to rise far above it. The best of the lot is probably "Nothing to Do," which would have sounded magnificent if The Ramones had ever gotten around to covering it like Johnny Ramone wanted (the other band members declined), but still sounds good even with the guitars so muted. The opening "Big Boy" at least gives some clear justification to the beat- heavy mix (it's about a giant walking into town and wreaking havoc, though I'm not sure if it's about an actual giant or somebody with a giant penis), and the remaining two tracks on side one ("I Want to Be Like Everybody Else" and "Fill-er-up") are fun exercises in combining Chuck Berry licks with over-the-top spastic presentation of said licks (and, in the case of the latter, great lyrics about gorging on "fuel" with no consideration at all for the consequences). On side two, "Confusion" (as mentioned) doesn't do much for me, but the other two can't help but leave a pretty strong impression. In "Screwed Up," I'm still not actually sure how it is that anybody in the song is actually screwed up (as the chorus asserts), but the first verse is a real hoot, and the song feels like something resembling a real statement about the world at large more than most Sparks songs do, and I've always liked the tune, so I enjoy it a lot. Finally, "White Women" is about as racist, sexist and non-PC as Sparks can possibly be, but the drum heavy arrangement (with minimal guitar) really works with the song, and it's hard to imagine another context where hearing someone bellowing "AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! As long as they're white from head to toe ..." would be so enjoyable.

All in all, this is a good album, but it really strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity, and it doesn't quite crack the top tier of Sparks albums for me. Still, there's a good chunk of great material, and this is the first album from the band to not have any tracks that I find intolerably obnoxious, and thus I'd have to recommend this to anybody who thinks they might be a Sparks fan. Just don't go into it with excessive expectations and you'll be fine.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1134631) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Big Beat"