BIG BEAT

Jeff Sailin Guitar, Vocals
Jeffrey Salen Guitar
Tony Visconti Producer

Island LP 1976 # 9123014

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Big Beat Music

Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
SP20 FESTIVAL sub pop POSTER todd barry erics trip fleet foxes beachwood sparks US $7.99 Buy It Now 36m 1s
Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough.../Barbecutie - 1974 Promo USA 7" US $19.99 [0 bids]
42m 1s
EDITORS ALL SPARKS CD RARE Includes 3 NON-LP Tracks * NEW * VIDEO SEALED US $19.50 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Sparks Exotic Creatures of the Deep Japan CD+DVD US $9.99 [2 bids]
NICK URATA - RUBY SPARKS NEW CD US $19.92 Buy It Now 1h 16m
MELVIN SPARKS Spark Plug LP Prestige 10016 OG VG+ US $9.99 [1 bids]
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Kimono My House VERY Rare 1974 1st issue Island 8-TR STILL SEALED! US $34.95 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS 75 LP Westbound OG EX+ Detroit soul jazz US $9.99 [1 bids]
THE SHAMBLES reviving sparks early tracks demos CD JAPAN POWER POP MOD L@@K US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Walkin' the low road / Jamaican fisherman Randy Sparks on 1958 VERVE 78 !!! US $20.95 [0 bids]
Jordan Sparks Battlefield CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS & JANE WIEDLIN Cool Places 45 rpm PICTURE SLEEVE Atlantic 1983 New Wave US $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 34m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS: Desert Skies LP Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Pharoahe Monch CLinton Sparks The Awakening Mixtape CD Simon Sez US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $6.99 [0 bids]
3h
JIMMY LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS ON MCA LABEL MCA 1321 LP NM 1980 SEALED US $6.95 [0 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH - CD, 2007 US $5.66 Buy It Now 3h 12m
RARE REGGAE 12" 45 - TREVOR SPARKS - RIDING FOR A FALL - SPIDER MAN SPM 204 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
RANDY SPARKS--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY---(JULIE KNOWS)---PS--PIC---SLV US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA)) US $1.49 [0 bids]
SPARKS - BEAT THE CLOCK - Y2K U.S. PROMO 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Sparks - The No. 1 Song In Heaven - '98 U.S. PROMO 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 4h
Lot 3 singles 7" LIO banana split jacno sparks 80's Banana Split Teenager rare!! US $65.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Sparks - Just Got Back From Heaven - U.S. 12" VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 4h 17m
UNCUT PRESENTS NEW MUSIC FOR 2006 (BUZZCOCKS/SPARKS/KRISTOFFERSON)(Feb 2006) US $1.61 [0 bids]
RANDY SPARKS Lot of (2) LP's VERVE MGM labels (#9429) 60's COUNTRY Western US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 40m
NATE SPARKS - FROM WHERE I STAND NEW CD US $20.30 Buy It Now 4h 46m
SPARKS ~ Tryouts For The Human Race ~ 12" Single ORANGE VINYL US $17.11 Buy It Now 5h 5m
I'm a Gittar Player Melvin Sparks CD Cannonball Records 14.99 out of print US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Telegenics 40A Music Videos VHS-Annabella,Pete Shelley,Sparks,Book Of Love+ US $14.95 [0 bids]
NEW - Mad Ave Movement by Omillio Sparks US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Sparks : HELLO YOUNG LOVERS CD (2010) US $14.65 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Sparks - Monster of Love 12 tracks - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $15.98 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Travelin' Larry Sparks Country & Folk 1992 CD US $11.53 Buy It Now 6h 59m
SPARKS 7"Single -Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth US $11.40 Buy It Now 8h 23m
RANDY SPARKS these thousand hills 7" PS EX/VG hong kong US $11.40 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Randy Sparks LP R.S. & the B.P.M. Initial Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 42m
SPARKS music that you can dance to 7" PS EX/EX uk wos US $11.40 Buy It Now 10h 43m
cd-album, Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To, The Best Of US $10.69 Buy It Now 11h 18m
Sparks on a String * by Orbiter (CD, May-2002, Loveless Records) US $9.95 Buy It Now 11h 20m
SPARKS UK 1995 CD Single WHEN I KISS YOU I Hear Charlie Parker Playing 26426.2 US $4.88 Buy It Now 11h 53m
DJ SPARKS Hang Dem High Alpha Mix Omega Mix classic Yaw 1993 ragga jungle US $35.00 Buy It Now 12h 28m
GRAHAM PARKER & THE RUMOUR- SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS -VINYL LP RECORD- 6360 168 -NM US $44.71 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks ?- S.O.S. (Let The Music Play) CD Promo 9 mixes US $16.29 Buy It Now 12h 35m
CONCRETE BLONDE-Bloodletting/VOWEL MOVEMENT/Pretty & And Twisted/DREAM 6/Sparks US $8.49 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Maybe You've Been Brainwashed [PA] by Clinton Sparks (CD, Mar-2005, Landspeed... US $6.50 Buy It Now 13h 9m
2010 ALLEN & GINTER AUTO RED INK: JORDIN SPARKS #10/10 AUTOGRAPH AMERICAN IDOL US $223.49 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Cover Drive - Bajan Style (CD 2012) "Twilight" "Sparks" "Lick Ya Down" "Explode" US $6.51 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Graham Parker & the Rumour Squeezing Out Sparks rare LP great condition US $10.99 [0 bids]
BELINDA CARLISLE @RARE LIVE CD (The Go-Go's,Germs,Sparks,Bangles,Susanna Hoffs) US $16.95 [2 bids]
EDITORS ALL SPARKS EU 2TR CD SKCD84 2006 THE DIPLOMAT EX CON STICKERED US $6.51 Buy It Now 14h 50m
Sparks-When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) 6 track Remix EP US $3.00 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE CD - "SPARKS FLY" US $2.50 [0 bids]
Sparks(7" Vinyl P/S)Beat The Clock-Virgin-VS 270-UK-VG+/VG+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 11m
LONESOME BLUEGRASS larry sparks BILL CLIFTON mac wiseman COUNTRY GENTLEMEN nu cd US $7.88 [0 bids]
12"-Maxi SPARKS - Modesty Plays / Angst In My Pants (1982) FRANCE PS US $19.99 Buy It Now 15h 22m
12"-Maxi SPARKS - When I Kiss You (1995) PROMO / BLACK REMIXES / GERMANY PRESS US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 22m
SAD AMONG STRANGERS: Sparks Fly Upwards / A Better Vie US $15.00 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Sparks - Something For The Girl With Everything 45 7" Island WIP.6221 US $7.25 Buy It Now 15h 44m
SPARKS Just Got Back from Heaven CD new DENMARK US $15.92 Buy It Now 16h 22m
Sparks - Beat The Clock 7" Single (1979) US $6.18 Buy It Now 16h 24m
Sparks - Gratuitous Sax & Violins NEW CD US $14.55 Buy It Now 16h 24m
LARRY SPARKS/LONESOME RAMBLERS LP: Pine Tree PTSLP 500 "Ramblin' Guitar" US $9.00 [1 bids]
SPARKS : " FUNNY FACE " / " TIPS FOR TEENS " .RARE FR 7" PS EX/EX 1981 UNDERDOG US $29.99 [0 bids]
Emits Showers of Sparks [Import] [Audio CD] Sixteen Deluxe US $5.00 Buy It Now 16h 57m
SPARKS 12" WHEN DO I GET TO SING MY WAY? 4 Mixes US $7.99 Buy It Now 17h
EMILY'S SASSY LIME Summer Vacation 7" EP 1994 X-MAS Beachwood Sparks OOP Rare M- US $6.66 [0 bids]
No. 1 Song in Heaven [Single] by Sparks (CD, Mar-1999, Oglio Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks CD 1999 ARCD8075 US $9.49 Buy It Now 17h 43m
Lasse Lindh - Sparks [CD New] US $23.37 Buy It Now 17h 46m
IMOGEN HEAP "Sparks" 2LP 2014 RCA/Megaphonic (Vinyl) New Sealed US $29.95 Buy It Now 17h 50m
Sahara Hotnights - Sparks [CD New] US $31.33 Buy It Now 17h 50m
Greg & Rebecca Sparks--Field of Your Soul CD1993 Christian Pop US $4.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS a woofer in tweeter's clothing BEARSVILLE 1972 Warner Bros US LP (NM) US $33.25 Buy It Now 18h 14m
Sparks - New Music For Amnesiacs: Essential Collection [CD New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 18h 34m
SPARKS - NOW THAT I OWN THE BBC - CD 1 ONLY-CD US $0.99 [1 bids]
SPARKS - NATIONAL CRIME AWARENESS WEEK-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
JIM HUNTER Sparks In Flight: Live RARE SEALED CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 18h 51m
CD SPARKS/ Mael Bros 1968 Demo Lp - PARDON MY FRENCH US $10.99 Buy It Now 18h 55m
TREVOR SPARKS ~ Rosemarie / MICHAEL LEVY ~ Baby Be Mine ~ 12" Single US $19.56 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Blits by Various Artists LP Record 33 RPM Bow Wow Wow-Sparks-Polyrock 1981 US $2.99 [0 bids]
sparks no 1 in heaven lp 1st press with ripped cd of lp near mint US $6.85 [4 bids]
sparks beat the clock 12 inch red vgc US $1.61 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS NEW CD US $16.64 Buy It Now 19h 46m
sparks the number one song in heaven 12 inch red 1st press near mint US $2.95 [2 bids]
sparks terminal jive lp 1st press near mint US $1.61 [1 bids]
SPARKS-NO.1 IN HEAVEN-JAPAN SHM-CD BONUS TRACK D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 20h 4m
2 originals of sparks double lp 1st press excellent US $1.97 [2 bids]
sparks big beat lp 1st press with ripped cd of lp near mint US $1.61 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] US $1.63 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] 1979 US $1.63 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE [ SPARKS ] 1975 US $1.63 [0 bids]
THE SPARKS OLDIES on MERCURY ( VERY GOOD ) VINTAGE 45rpm RECORD US $2.95 [0 bids]
VYNAL RECORD SINGLE, SPARKS 1975 US $1.63 [0 bids]
Rare SPARKS (LP) "Whomp That Sucker" (RCA) .. original 1981 .. STILL SEALED! US $11.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS INDISCREET LP RON N RUSSELL MAEL US $16.00 Buy It Now 20h 51m
Graham Parker / Sparks - New - Never Played - Promo US $9.97 Buy It Now 20h 54m
Jordin Sparks, Mariah Carey, Simple Plan, Amy Winehouse - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $19.98 Buy It Now 20h 56m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Big Beat ratings distribution

SPARKS Big Beat reviews

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars After Indiscreet showed that the band's UK art-glam approach had run its course, the brothers Mael decided it was time to do something totally different, so they returned to the US, picked up an entirely new group of session musicians and recorded an album closer to "normal" guitar rock than anything else in their catalogue. Aside from the vaudeville piano in "I Bought the Mississippi River" and some buried bits elsewhere, Ron's keyboards are essentially eliminated from the band's sound, and the emphasis of the sound is put squarely on the drums ... and the guitars and bass. Unfortunately, that sentence actually reflects the priority of the different instruments in the mix; the drums are jacked up REALLY HIGH in the mix (hence the title of the album), with the guitars sounding present but empty while the bass is present but has very little punch. It's very tempting to try and retcon an explanation for this along the lines of "Ron and Russell wanted a goofy mix to somehow satirize the fact that rock'n'roll is stylized dance music," but that's wishful thinking; the two ran away from this sound as fast as they could with their next album, and when I read that they considered the sound "bereft of personality," I get the sense that they felt this way as soon as they heard what the final pressing would sound like.

Fortunately, while the instrumentation is pretty bland and monotonous (excepting the final track), the album is still full of fascinating lyrics and strong hooks, so it's a nice listen regardless. For me, there are four tracks that are clearly top-notch, and the other seven tracks are all somewhere in the "good" range (except for "Confusion," which I find a bit of a throwaway, even if nothing about it is clearly bad). "I Bought Mississippi River," as mentioned, mingles vaudeville piano with the weird standard mix of the album, with Russell singing an awesome vocal melody set to lyrics about somebody who bought that river and now has to figure out what the hell to do with it. "Everybody's Stupid" is pure juvenile bile in the lyrics (but all the better for it; all of the verses are glorious) set to music heavily inspired by 50s rock and doo-wop, and high-pitched "Everybody's Stupid!!!" backing vocals over the extended coda never stop being funny (if, like me, you're secretly still 14 years old inside).

The other two great tracks bookend the second side and are amazing expressions of Russell/Ron's cynical attitudes towards women. "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" is everything I wish the bulk of the album could be, a magnificent speedy Cheap Trick-ish power pop number about the virtues of chasing younger women once your current flame has gotten a little out-of-date. It's a horrible sentiment, but it's a horrible sentiment expressed in the most memorable manner imaginable, and I can't resist singing along to the "Throw her away!!" backing vocals near the end if I'm alone. The final track of the album, "I Like Girls," had been part of the band's live repertoire since before Kimono, but hadn't received a satisfactory studio recording, and the arrangement (based around an awesome rising horn riff over a martial rhythm in the background, alternating with something more standard to the rest of the album) clearly betrays its earlier origins. The first verse sums up the tone of the song: "No one is restricted, no one is tied down/But the Greece of old collapsed 'cause/no one liked their girls/We won't have that problem, I'm doing my part/No one asked me but I'll still answer."

The rest of the album is mostly good, but the presentation is such that it rarely has a chance to rise far above it. The best of the lot is probably "Nothing to Do," which would have sounded magnificent if The Ramones had ever gotten around to covering it like Johnny Ramone wanted (the other band members declined), but still sounds good even with the guitars so muted. The opening "Big Boy" at least gives some clear justification to the beat- heavy mix (it's about a giant walking into town and wreaking havoc, though I'm not sure if it's about an actual giant or somebody with a giant penis), and the remaining two tracks on side one ("I Want to Be Like Everybody Else" and "Fill-er-up") are fun exercises in combining Chuck Berry licks with over-the-top spastic presentation of said licks (and, in the case of the latter, great lyrics about gorging on "fuel" with no consideration at all for the consequences). On side two, "Confusion" (as mentioned) doesn't do much for me, but the other two can't help but leave a pretty strong impression. In "Screwed Up," I'm still not actually sure how it is that anybody in the song is actually screwed up (as the chorus asserts), but the first verse is a real hoot, and the song feels like something resembling a real statement about the world at large more than most Sparks songs do, and I've always liked the tune, so I enjoy it a lot. Finally, "White Women" is about as racist, sexist and non-PC as Sparks can possibly be, but the drum heavy arrangement (with minimal guitar) really works with the song, and it's hard to imagine another context where hearing someone bellowing "AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! As long as they're white from head to toe ..." would be so enjoyable.

All in all, this is a good album, but it really strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity, and it doesn't quite crack the top tier of Sparks albums for me. Still, there's a good chunk of great material, and this is the first album from the band to not have any tracks that I find intolerably obnoxious, and thus I'd have to recommend this to anybody who thinks they might be a Sparks fan. Just don't go into it with excessive expectations and you'll be fine.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1134631) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Big Beat"