BIG BEAT

Sparks Big Beat album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. Big Boy (3:30)
2. I Want To Be Like Everybody Else (2:57)
3. Nothing To Do (3:09)
4. I Bought The Mississippi River (2:29)
5. Fill-Er-Up (2:20)
6. Everybody's Stupid (3:41)
7. Throw Her Away (And Get A New One) (3:15)
8. Confusion (3:27)
9. Screwed Up (4:20)
10. White Women (3:24)
11. I Like Girls (2:58)

Total time 35:30
Bonus tracks on 1994 reissue:
12. Tearing The Place Apart (3:34)
13. Gone With The Wind (3:04)

Bonus tracks on 2006 remaster:
12. I Want To Hold Your Hand (2:56)
13. England (3:18)
14. Gone With The Wind (3:07)
15. Intrusion/Confusion (2:47) *
16. Looks Aren't Everything (3:28) *
17. Tearing The Place Apart (3:38)

* Previously unreleased

Search SPARKS Big Beat lyrics

Search SPARKS Big Beat tabs

- Russell Mael / lead vocals
- Jeffrey Salen / guitar
- Ron Mael / keyboards
- Sal Maida / bass
- Hilly Michaels / drums

Artwork: Richard Avedon (photo)

LP Columbia ‎- PC 34359 (1976, US)

CD Island Masters ‎- IMCD 201 (1994, Europe) With 2 bonus tracks
CD Island Records ‎- 984 341 2 (2006, Europe) Remastered by Keiron McGarry with 6 bonus tracks

Thanks to chris s for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Big Beat Music

Imports 2017
Vinyl$19.82

Sparks Lp Big Beat Nr Mint Disc w sleeve USD $7.50 Buy It Now 13h 18m
Japan Perfect set> Sparks/Big Beat USD $38.00 Buy It Now 19h 57m
Sparks - Big beat vinyl WLP Columbia records 1976 Mael brothers USD $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS BIG BEAT UK ORIGINAL LP ISLAND RECORDS 1976 USD $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SPARKS Big Beat 1976 UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16x12 inches USD $15.98 Buy It Now 3 days
SPARKS Japanese BIG BEAT CD w/ Obi BONUS TRACKS USD $28.99 Buy It Now 3 days
33 THE SPARKS, BIG BEAT ALBUM ADVERT 12X10 USD $16.05 Buy It Now 4 days
Sparks big beat - LP Record Vinyl Album 12" USD $22.11 Buy It Now 4 days
SPARKS ~ Big Beat LP White Label PROMO U.S. Pressing 1976 Columbia PC 34359 VG+ USD $30.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SPARKS Big Beat UICY-9180 CD JAPAN 2002 OBI USD $346.55 Buy It Now 7 days
Sparks - The Big Beat - New 180g Vinyl LP - Pre Order - 1st December USD $28.08 Buy It Now 7 days
Sparks - Big Beat (1994) Island Masters 2 bonus tracks USD $10.63 [0 bids]
Sparks Big Beat SHM MINI LP CD JAPAN UICY-94101 USD $47.51 Buy It Now 9 days
SPARKS 'BIG BEAT' CD RE-RELEASE NEW+ USD $16.58 Buy It Now 9 days
Sparks - Big Beat + Bonus tracks - Sparks Cd Rare USD $9.36 [0 bids]
SPARKS - BIG BEAT - WHITE LABEL PROMO + WHOMP THAT SUCKER - LP LOT OF 2 - NM USD $22.50 [0 bids]
SPARKS Big Beat LP White Label PROMO US 1976 Columbia PC34359 VG-/VG++ w/ INSERT USD $16.99 Buy It Now 11 days
SPARKS Big Beat PHCR-6720 CD JAPAN 1993 OBI USD $50.46 Buy It Now 12 days
SPARKS Big Beat MINI LP CD Japan New Sealed Free Shipping USD $49.50 Buy It Now 13 days
SPARKS Big Beat UICY-94101 CD JAPAN 2009 NEW USD $202.77 Buy It Now 13 days
SPARKS + BIG BEAT + LP + 1976+RARE USD $7.76 Buy It Now 14 days
Sparks ?- Big Beat [Japanese CD] 2002 USD $24.08 Buy It Now 15 days
Sparks Big Beat - US LP Album USD $24.99 Buy It Now 16 days
SPARKS - BIG BEAT [BONUS TRACKS] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.21 Buy It Now 17 days
SPARKS BIG BEAT ORIGINAL ADVERT 16 X 12" POSTER SIZE 30 OCT 1976 USD $17.38 Buy It Now 18 days
Sparks - Big Beat [CD] USD $8.47 Buy It Now 19 days
SPARKS - BIG BEAT [BONUS TRACKS] NEW CD USD $11.83 Buy It Now 19 days
SPARKS - BIG BEAT (LP) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $33.22 Buy It Now 19 days
Sparks ?- Big Beat - Condition (LP/Sleeve): NM/NM USD $45.95 Buy It Now 19 days
SPARKS Big Beat LP 1976 Columbia Records Canada PC-34359 Glam Pop Rock VG+/G+ USD $14.73 Buy It Now 20 days
SPARKS big beat (1st uk with inner) LP EX-/VG ILPS 9445 pop rock glam art rock USD $45.76 Buy It Now 21 days
SPARKS big beat (1st uk with inner) LP EX-/VG ILPS 9445 pop rock glam art rock USD $45.13 Buy It Now 21 days
Big Beat (Re-Issue) - Sparks Compact Disc USD $11.84 Buy It Now 21 days
Sparks - Big Beat [CD] USD $8.54 Buy It Now 21 days
Sparks Big Beat PC 34359 VG+/VG+ 1976 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 21 days
Big Beat, Sparks CD | 0602498434123 | New USD $9.59 Buy It Now 23 days
SPARKS BIG BEAT ORANGE ISLAND w/BLUE RIM ILPS 9272 A1/B1 VINYL LP EXC/EXC USD $24.06 Buy It Now 23 days
SPARKS Just Got Back From Heaven - Vinyl Single, Slit on lower right-hand corner USD $3.74 Buy It Now 24 days
Sparks - Big Beat USA 1976 Columbia Demonstration Not For Sale LP USD $46.80 Buy It Now 26 days
SPARKS - Big Beat (remastered) - Vinyl (180 gram vinyl LP + MP3 download code) USD $27.89 Buy It Now 26 days
Sparks - Big Beat (2017 REISSUE) VINYL LP NEW (1ST DECEMBER) USD $24.06 Buy It Now 27 days
Sparks - Big Beat New Vinly LP USD $26.54 Buy It Now 27 days
SPARKS BIG BEAT 1976 NME Trade Press Advert Poster Size # # USD $12.03 Buy It Now 27 days
SPARKS - Big Beat LP New SEALED re-issue vinyl USD $24.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Sparks Big Beat Japan Mini LP Bonus Tracks USD $35.00 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SPARKS Big Beat ratings distribution

SPARKS Big Beat reviews

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars After Indiscreet showed that the band's UK art-glam approach had run its course, the brothers Mael decided it was time to do something totally different, so they returned to the US, picked up an entirely new group of session musicians and recorded an album closer to "normal" guitar rock than anything else in their catalogue. Aside from the vaudeville piano in "I Bought the Mississippi River" and some buried bits elsewhere, Ron's keyboards are essentially eliminated from the band's sound, and the emphasis of the sound is put squarely on the drums ... and the guitars and bass. Unfortunately, that sentence actually reflects the priority of the different instruments in the mix; the drums are jacked up REALLY HIGH in the mix (hence the title of the album), with the guitars sounding present but empty while the bass is present but has very little punch. It's very tempting to try and retcon an explanation for this along the lines of "Ron and Russell wanted a goofy mix to somehow satirize the fact that rock'n'roll is stylized dance music," but that's wishful thinking; the two ran away from this sound as fast as they could with their next album, and when I read that they considered the sound "bereft of personality," I get the sense that they felt this way as soon as they heard what the final pressing would sound like.

Fortunately, while the instrumentation is pretty bland and monotonous (excepting the final track), the album is still full of fascinating lyrics and strong hooks, so it's a nice listen regardless. For me, there are four tracks that are clearly top-notch, and the other seven tracks are all somewhere in the "good" range (except for "Confusion," which I find a bit of a throwaway, even if nothing about it is clearly bad). "I Bought Mississippi River," as mentioned, mingles vaudeville piano with the weird standard mix of the album, with Russell singing an awesome vocal melody set to lyrics about somebody who bought that river and now has to figure out what the hell to do with it. "Everybody's Stupid" is pure juvenile bile in the lyrics (but all the better for it; all of the verses are glorious) set to music heavily inspired by 50s rock and doo-wop, and high-pitched "Everybody's Stupid!!!" backing vocals over the extended coda never stop being funny (if, like me, you're secretly still 14 years old inside).

The other two great tracks bookend the second side and are amazing expressions of Russell/Ron's cynical attitudes towards women. "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" is everything I wish the bulk of the album could be, a magnificent speedy Cheap Trick-ish power pop number about the virtues of chasing younger women once your current flame has gotten a little out-of-date. It's a horrible sentiment, but it's a horrible sentiment expressed in the most memorable manner imaginable, and I can't resist singing along to the "Throw her away!!" backing vocals near the end if I'm alone. The final track of the album, "I Like Girls," had been part of the band's live repertoire since before Kimono, but hadn't received a satisfactory studio recording, and the arrangement (based around an awesome rising horn riff over a martial rhythm in the background, alternating with something more standard to the rest of the album) clearly betrays its earlier origins. The first verse sums up the tone of the song: "No one is restricted, no one is tied down/But the Greece of old collapsed 'cause/no one liked their girls/We won't have that problem, I'm doing my part/No one asked me but I'll still answer."

The rest of the album is mostly good, but the presentation is such that it rarely has a chance to rise far above it. The best of the lot is probably "Nothing to Do," which would have sounded magnificent if The Ramones had ever gotten around to covering it like Johnny Ramone wanted (the other band members declined), but still sounds good even with the guitars so muted. The opening "Big Boy" at least gives some clear justification to the beat- heavy mix (it's about a giant walking into town and wreaking havoc, though I'm not sure if it's about an actual giant or somebody with a giant penis), and the remaining two tracks on side one ("I Want to Be Like Everybody Else" and "Fill-er-up") are fun exercises in combining Chuck Berry licks with over-the-top spastic presentation of said licks (and, in the case of the latter, great lyrics about gorging on "fuel" with no consideration at all for the consequences). On side two, "Confusion" (as mentioned) doesn't do much for me, but the other two can't help but leave a pretty strong impression. In "Screwed Up," I'm still not actually sure how it is that anybody in the song is actually screwed up (as the chorus asserts), but the first verse is a real hoot, and the song feels like something resembling a real statement about the world at large more than most Sparks songs do, and I've always liked the tune, so I enjoy it a lot. Finally, "White Women" is about as racist, sexist and non-PC as Sparks can possibly be, but the drum heavy arrangement (with minimal guitar) really works with the song, and it's hard to imagine another context where hearing someone bellowing "AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! As long as they're white from head to toe ..." would be so enjoyable.

All in all, this is a good album, but it really strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity, and it doesn't quite crack the top tier of Sparks albums for me. Still, there's a good chunk of great material, and this is the first album from the band to not have any tracks that I find intolerably obnoxious, and thus I'd have to recommend this to anybody who thinks they might be a Sparks fan. Just don't go into it with excessive expectations and you'll be fine.

Post a review of SPARKS "Big Beat"