BIG BEAT

Jeff Sailin Guitar, Vocals
Jeffrey Salen Guitar
Tony Visconti Producer

Island LP 1976 # 9123014

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Big Beat Music

Kimono My HouseKimono My House
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
In Outer SpaceIn Outer Space
Repertoire 1999
Sparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in StockholmSparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in Stockholm
Multiple Formats
Standing Room Only 2005
DVD$19.95
Left Coast AngstLeft Coast Angst
Imports 2014
The Silver Mt. Zion Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly US $29.99 Buy It Now 40m 52s
Mecca Normal, Echo b/w Fan Of Sparks, Jettison US $16.99 Buy It Now 41m 36s
SPARKS Lighten Up Morrissey 2009 UK 2-trk promo CD MINT US $6.83 Buy It Now 46m 13s
"Greetings from Underdog" 1983 French comp w/ Sparks, London Cowboys, Whitesnake US $5.00 Buy It Now 50m 9s
SPARKS The Number One Song In Heaven (Part Two) 1997 EURO collectors CD single US $11.05 Buy It Now 1h 12m
SPARKS "ALL YOU EVER THINK ABOUT IS SEX" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 18m
RANDY SPARKS: Ball And Chain (folk vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
time life THE 70s 74 abba PILOT sparks ARROWS david essex NAZARETH tymes oop cd US $8.94 [0 bids]
SPARKS - The Calm Before The Storm - CD Single - MINT US $6.42 Buy It Now 1h 48m
(724P) Sparks Fly, Creatures - DJ CD US $5.12 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Jordin Sparks cd US $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 42m
LEGENDS OF ACID JAZZ MELVIN SPARKS PRESTIGE CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Jordin Sparks, CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Black Sails [Original Series Soundtrack] (CD, 2014, Sparks & Shadows) US $19.99 [0 bids]
(236S) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $5.12 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Christian World~Soundtrak~4945~~This is My Now~~Jordin Sparks~~CD~3 Key US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS - GRAHAM PARKS - ARISTA-4223 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $2.00 [1 bids]
Travelin' by Larry Sparks (Cassette, Mar-2000, Rebel) US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
17 lp lot synth 80's squeeze madonna sparks devo duran falco Bill Nelson frida!! US $79.00 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Sparks : Interior Design CD (1990) US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Greatest Ever Seventies Pop 3 CD Box Set 70's Bay City Rollers Undertones Sparks US $5.48 [6 bids]
Through the Sparks , Audio CD, Worm Moon Waning US $7.09 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Boogaloo Joe Jones, Billy Butler, Melvin Sparks - 2009 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $6.78 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Black Rain OST LP, Iggy Pop.Gregg Allman.UB40.Rita Mitsuoko, Sparks US $6.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Chuck Turner Vs Trevor Sparks US $22.99 Buy It Now 5h 53m
NEW - Jordin Sparks with Exclusive Bonus Track US $8.67 Buy It Now 5h 55m
BEASTIE BOYS, ALOT OF 2 LP'S PLUS SPARKS. NM CONDITION. ORIGINAL LP'S. US $24.95 [1 bids]
Sparks Are Gonna Fly US $8.30 Buy It Now 6h 40m
Clinton Sparks Presents Promo Vinyl Sampler Pharrell Dr. Dre Busta Rhymes US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Jordin Sparks Tattoo Remixes 12" Promo Vinyl Album US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Trevor Sparks "Black Lover" and "Black Woman" 1992 Hardcore Records Reggae 12" US $3.33 [0 bids]
Make the Cowboy Robots Cry [EP] by Beachwood Sparks (CD, May-2002, Sub Pop... US $7.77 Buy It Now 7h 49m
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin?7"?COOL PLACES?japan?EX??!! US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 7m
SPARKS - Interior Design (Fine Art) (Shrink Wrap) US $50.00 Buy It Now 8h 8m
SPARKS - Music That You Can Dance To (Import) US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 9m
SPARKS - No. 1 In Heaven - ELEKTRA 6E-186 SEALED LP Giorgio Moroder US $24.95 Buy It Now 8h 31m
GET CRAZY Soundtrack LP Morocco 6065CL (1983) VG+ Ramones, Lou Reed, Sparks US $6.47 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Sparks-tips for teens.12" US $13.69 Buy It Now 12h 3m
CD: SPARKS FLY - COSGROVE, MIRANDA - New and Sealed US $15.97 Buy It Now 12h 10m
SPARKS larry & lonesome ramblers/BLUEGRASS kentucky chimes DARK HOLLOW new cd US $7.30 Buy It Now 12h 23m
SPARKS-THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH...-ORIGINAL DIFFERENT YUGOSLAV 45rpm 7'' 1974 US $16.00 Buy It Now 12h 41m
Sparks - Best Of Sparks CD US $18.96 Buy It Now 13h 12m
THE SPARKS RON MAEL 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo slide negative #C/5661 US $34.22 Buy It Now 13h 12m
(CP908) Make Sparks, Your Hearts On Fire - DJ CD US $5.12 Buy It Now 13h 55m
(CQ18) Jordin Sparks, Battlefield - 2009 DJ CD US $5.12 Buy It Now 14h 5m
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven [CD New] US $13.39 Buy It Now 14h 11m
Sparks - Real Extended:12 Inch Mixes (1979-84) [CD New] US $20.07 Buy It Now 14h 11m
SPARKS, Trevor - Got Me Grooving (Patrick Andy - Like Your Style Riddim) - 7" US $11.55 Buy It Now 14h 23m
SPARKS girl from germany/beaver o'lindy K15516 white label uk 1973 7" WS EX/ US $20.60 Buy It Now 14h 40m
SPARKS ~ Rosebud ~ 12" Single PS US $6.83 Buy It Now 14h 47m
Maylay Sparks - Flaskworthy [CD New] US $15.59 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Bingo Players & Will Sparks - Onelove Sound Machine 2013 [CD New] US $24.59 Buy It Now 15h 21m
Jordin Sparks US $4.21 Buy It Now 15h 32m
SPARKS, Trevor - Magic Man - 7" US $10.68 Buy It Now 16h 16m
Hootenanny MGM Mark Dinning Stan Wilson Randy Sparks Gateway Singers US $19.98 Buy It Now 16h 34m
Sparks - Propaganda, Vinyl LP (A1/B1 matrix numbers) UK 1974 (ILPS 9312) US $9.67 Buy It Now 17h 6m
CHATMON, Sam/SPARKS - Nobody But Me - 7" US $14.10 Buy It Now 17h 33m
ALIEN PARADISE COMPILATED BY DJ SPARKS CD NEW SS K384 US $5.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP JAPAN DVD OBI NEW SS K1 US $6.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - CD Single - The Calm Before The Storm US $5.97 Buy It Now 17h 55m
The Sparks "Merry, Merry Lou/Ol' Man River" Single US $7.95 Buy It Now 18h 4m
REUBEN WILSON "Bad Stuff" orig '75 Groove Merchant 2LP (melvin sparks) US $11.99 Buy It Now 18h 16m
Sparks No 1 in Heaven Lp w Giorgio Moroder US $24.99 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] by Agent Sparks (CD, Sep-2005, Immortal) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Cosgrove,Miranda - Sparks Fly [CD New] US $2.99 [0 bids]
(AB113) Jason Sparks, The One Eyed Man - DJ CD US $5.12 Buy It Now 19h 11m
Sparks All You Ever Think About is Sex PROMO 45 rpm VG+ Rock 80's Alternative US $13.99 Buy It Now 19h 41m
Sparks Lp Indiscreet Ex to Nr Mint Original US $5.50 [1 bids]
TUPOLEV - TOWERS OF SPARKS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $19.63 Buy It Now 19h 52m
Sparks - 1970's US Bearsville Album In Opened Shrink With UK Import Sticker US $42.78 Buy It Now 19h 52m
SPARKS "I PREDICT" 45 PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY US $4.99 Buy It Now 20h 5m
KITCH Curfew Time LATIN LP TRINIDAD Vocals: The Sparks US $8.99 [0 bids]
2 lp lot earle mankey real world mau mau '81 '84 sparks halfnelson rare vinyls US $69.00 Buy It Now 20h 17m
Sparks SHORTCUTS 7 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REPERTOIRE 29 Track NEW SEALED 2 CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $24.99 [0 bids]
Sparks The Rescue - Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With [CD New] US $11.21 Buy It Now 21h 17m
Scottie Sparks : Scottie Sparks CD (1999) US $6.77 Buy It Now 21h 21m
SPARKS---INTRODUCING US $7.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS---INDISCREET US $7.00 [0 bids]
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, Good US $2.99 Buy It Now 21h 34m
SPARKS-WHEN I'M WITH YOU-ORIGINAL GERMAN 7" 45rpm 1980-SYNTH POP/NEW WAVE US $10.00 Buy It Now 21h 57m
Hello Everyone - Popsike Sparks From Denmark Street UK CD UK psych US $25.48 Buy It Now 22h 6m
miranda cosgrove sparks fly cd sealed, make an offer US $12.99 [0 bids]
Sparks & Jane Wiedlin Mint Vinyl Promo 45 W/ PS(1983)-Cool Places US $7.00 Buy It Now 22h 38m
Teebone Feat MC Sparks - Fly Bi - East West #48053 US $8.54 Buy It Now 22h 38m
SPARKS HALF NELSON & A WOOFER IN TWEETERS CLOTHING 2 CD 2013 SEAL PROMO STICKER US $13.67 [0 bids]
23h
DON LEVY Greaze Is What's Good CD (Jazz Organ/Freddie Hubbard/Melvin Sparks) NEW US $5.18 Buy It Now 23h 28m
JORDIN SPARKS I am Woman w/ RARE RADIO EDIT TST PRESS PROMO DJ CD single Jordan US $24.99 Buy It Now 23h 30m
SPARKS - Tryouts For The Human Race - 1979 UK Virgin 7" US $8.54 Buy It Now 23h 30m
T.K.S (Tee Bone, Sparks & Kie) - Fly Bi - 1999 #36087 US $6.83 Buy It Now 23h 50m
SPARKS-Lot of 2 vintage magazine pictures US $5.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Mystic Chords of Memory S/T NEW Beachwood Sparks ships Fast not a promo US $3.99 [0 bids]
Randy Sparks Three Julianne/Pocket Full of Blues 7" 45 Verve V-10225 Vinyl US $3.74 Buy It Now 1 day
LARRY SPARKS & LONESOME RAMBLERS: You Could Have Called LP (slight cover wear) US $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SPARKS USA DJ 7" 45 WONDER GIRL on Bearsville, Todd Rundgren produced US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
John Deere Tractor, Sparks, Larry, Good US $7.47 Buy It Now 1 day
When Sparks Fly-Songs in the Style of Sparks,Clarkson,Pink,Cyrus US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Big Beat ratings distribution

SPARKS Big Beat reviews

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars After Indiscreet showed that the band's UK art-glam approach had run its course, the brothers Mael decided it was time to do something totally different, so they returned to the US, picked up an entirely new group of session musicians and recorded an album closer to "normal" guitar rock than anything else in their catalogue. Aside from the vaudeville piano in "I Bought the Mississippi River" and some buried bits elsewhere, Ron's keyboards are essentially eliminated from the band's sound, and the emphasis of the sound is put squarely on the drums ... and the guitars and bass. Unfortunately, that sentence actually reflects the priority of the different instruments in the mix; the drums are jacked up REALLY HIGH in the mix (hence the title of the album), with the guitars sounding present but empty while the bass is present but has very little punch. It's very tempting to try and retcon an explanation for this along the lines of "Ron and Russell wanted a goofy mix to somehow satirize the fact that rock'n'roll is stylized dance music," but that's wishful thinking; the two ran away from this sound as fast as they could with their next album, and when I read that they considered the sound "bereft of personality," I get the sense that they felt this way as soon as they heard what the final pressing would sound like.

Fortunately, while the instrumentation is pretty bland and monotonous (excepting the final track), the album is still full of fascinating lyrics and strong hooks, so it's a nice listen regardless. For me, there are four tracks that are clearly top-notch, and the other seven tracks are all somewhere in the "good" range (except for "Confusion," which I find a bit of a throwaway, even if nothing about it is clearly bad). "I Bought Mississippi River," as mentioned, mingles vaudeville piano with the weird standard mix of the album, with Russell singing an awesome vocal melody set to lyrics about somebody who bought that river and now has to figure out what the hell to do with it. "Everybody's Stupid" is pure juvenile bile in the lyrics (but all the better for it; all of the verses are glorious) set to music heavily inspired by 50s rock and doo-wop, and high-pitched "Everybody's Stupid!!!" backing vocals over the extended coda never stop being funny (if, like me, you're secretly still 14 years old inside).

The other two great tracks bookend the second side and are amazing expressions of Russell/Ron's cynical attitudes towards women. "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" is everything I wish the bulk of the album could be, a magnificent speedy Cheap Trick-ish power pop number about the virtues of chasing younger women once your current flame has gotten a little out-of-date. It's a horrible sentiment, but it's a horrible sentiment expressed in the most memorable manner imaginable, and I can't resist singing along to the "Throw her away!!" backing vocals near the end if I'm alone. The final track of the album, "I Like Girls," had been part of the band's live repertoire since before Kimono, but hadn't received a satisfactory studio recording, and the arrangement (based around an awesome rising horn riff over a martial rhythm in the background, alternating with something more standard to the rest of the album) clearly betrays its earlier origins. The first verse sums up the tone of the song: "No one is restricted, no one is tied down/But the Greece of old collapsed 'cause/no one liked their girls/We won't have that problem, I'm doing my part/No one asked me but I'll still answer."

The rest of the album is mostly good, but the presentation is such that it rarely has a chance to rise far above it. The best of the lot is probably "Nothing to Do," which would have sounded magnificent if The Ramones had ever gotten around to covering it like Johnny Ramone wanted (the other band members declined), but still sounds good even with the guitars so muted. The opening "Big Boy" at least gives some clear justification to the beat- heavy mix (it's about a giant walking into town and wreaking havoc, though I'm not sure if it's about an actual giant or somebody with a giant penis), and the remaining two tracks on side one ("I Want to Be Like Everybody Else" and "Fill-er-up") are fun exercises in combining Chuck Berry licks with over-the-top spastic presentation of said licks (and, in the case of the latter, great lyrics about gorging on "fuel" with no consideration at all for the consequences). On side two, "Confusion" (as mentioned) doesn't do much for me, but the other two can't help but leave a pretty strong impression. In "Screwed Up," I'm still not actually sure how it is that anybody in the song is actually screwed up (as the chorus asserts), but the first verse is a real hoot, and the song feels like something resembling a real statement about the world at large more than most Sparks songs do, and I've always liked the tune, so I enjoy it a lot. Finally, "White Women" is about as racist, sexist and non-PC as Sparks can possibly be, but the drum heavy arrangement (with minimal guitar) really works with the song, and it's hard to imagine another context where hearing someone bellowing "AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! As long as they're white from head to toe ..." would be so enjoyable.

All in all, this is a good album, but it really strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity, and it doesn't quite crack the top tier of Sparks albums for me. Still, there's a good chunk of great material, and this is the first album from the band to not have any tracks that I find intolerably obnoxious, and thus I'd have to recommend this to anybody who thinks they might be a Sparks fan. Just don't go into it with excessive expectations and you'll be fine.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1134631) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Big Beat"