BIG BEAT

Jeff Sailin Guitar, Vocals
Jeffrey Salen Guitar
Tony Visconti Producer

Island LP 1976 # 9123014

Thanks to chris s for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Big Beat Music

Interior DesignInterior Design
Rhino Records, Inc. 1990
PlagiarismPlagiarism
Oglio Records 1998
ROCK SYNTH POP/ Sparks - The Number One Song In Heaven (Blue Vinyl) US $39.99 Buy It Now 36m 38s
ROCK SYNTH POP/ Sparks - Big Beat (LP) US $7.99 Buy It Now 36m 38s
ROCK SYNTH POP/ Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To (LP) US $23.99 Buy It Now 39m 52s
Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat - Atlantic Records 80160-1 - Vinyl VG+ US $5.00 [0 bids]
40m 25s
Orbiter : Sparks on a String CD (2002) US $4.34 Buy It Now 41m 21s
SPARKS Dick Around CD Gut single interview Ron Mael US $11.99 Buy It Now 48m 18s
POWER POP ROCK/ Graham Parker And The Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks (LP) US $7.99 Buy It Now 53m 32s
Sparks - Mael Intuition - The Best Of Sparks 1974 CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 59m 55s
CD* In Outer Space - SPARKS *** GERMAN IMPORT *** US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
NOS (PS) SPARKS....I PREDICT US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
SPARKS - In Outer Space (Vinyl LP) US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
SPARKS**EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP**CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 40m
SPARKS this town ain't big enough for both of us 7" b/w barbecutie (wip6193) uk US $8.47 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Sparks EXTENDED 12 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REMASTERED 17 Tracks New Sealed 2 CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Larry Sparks: Brand New Broken Heart / Kentucky Chimes 45 - Bluegrass US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
SPARKS**BIG BEAT (REMASTERED WITH BONUS MATERIAL)**CD US $11.79 Buy It Now 2h 14m
SPARKS USA '75 Island DJ 7" 45 LOOKS LOOKJS LOOKS rare promo US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 21m
LP/VINYL-BLITZ "Various Artists" 1981 RCA New Wave Bow Wow Wow Sparks Polyrock US $25.98 Buy It Now 2h 55m
SPARKS calm before the storm 2000 rare uk 3 - track CD SINGLE no longer made US $8.47 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Sparks,Larry - Kentucky Banjo [CD New] US $3.93 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Ruby Sparks - Soundtrack [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Tupolev - Towers Of Sparks [CD New] US $21.46 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Jim Sparks Crying Like I Do 7" vinyl 45 rpm PRIVATE US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
SPARKS**INDISCREET (REMASTERED W/BONUS MATERIAL)**CD US $11.79 Buy It Now 3h 38m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS**TARNISHED GOLD**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Yellow Red Sparks [CD New] US $11.34 Buy It Now 3h 42m
SPARKS**NO. 1 IN HEAVEN**CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 3h 52m
SPARKS: History Of Sparks (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
MIRANDA COSGROVE**SPARKS FLY (DELUX VERSION)**CD US $12.88 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Cd de Musique Sparks - Mael Intuition - The Best Of Sparks 1974 US $8.31 Buy It Now 4h 20m
CLINTON SPARKS i wanna dance 12" Mint- CS001 Vinyl Record US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $0.99 [0 bids]
HELLO EVERYONE-POPSIKE SPARKS FROM DENMARK STREET - THE FRUIT MACHINE- JOHN C-CD US $3.27 [3 bids]
45 Randy Sparks "Walkin' the Low Road" 1958 TEENFOLK Verve 10116 VG++/NM US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Blue Mountain Memories, Sparks, Larry, New US $8.29 Buy It Now 5h 25m
DEVO DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE 1979 LP ORIG VG+ INSERT SPARKS TALKING HEADS B52 US $3.99 [0 bids]
jordin sparks US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
4 NEW WAVE classic LPs all NM/NM-, AFTER THE FIRE, SPARKS, WANG CHUNG, ZEBRA! US $10.60 [0 bids]
45 Record RANDY SPARKS - THESE THOUSAND HILLS - NM US $14.50 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $2.98 Buy It Now 6h 20m
I'm a Gittar Player by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-1997, Cannonball Records) US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 20m
KITCH Curfew Time LATIN LP TRINIDAD Vocals: The Sparks US $7.00 [0 bids]
The Tarnished Gold [Digipak] * by Beachwood Sparks (CD, Jun-2012, Sub Pop (USA)) US $11.01 Buy It Now 6h 34m
This Is It! by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-2005, Savant) US $11.86 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Groove on Up * by Melvin Sparks (CD, May-2006, Savant) US $12.28 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Columbia (USA)) US $6.91 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Battlefield * by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, BMG (distributor)) US $2.92 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin - Cool Places - Atlantic Vinyl 7" PS - 1983 - NM US $7.00 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS "Tattoo" Remixes PROMO 5-TRACK CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS "No Air" Remixes PROMO 11-TRACK CD Feat Chris Brown US $0.99 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS "S.O.S." SOS (Let the Music Play) Remixes PROMO 12-TRACK CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Fly - Miranda Cosgrove New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $12.25 Buy It Now 7h 19m
WOODSTAR - COLD COLD HEART / LIFE SPARKS RED FLAME / LOVE THAN HATE (CD Single) US $1.68 Buy It Now 7h 27m
LARRY SPARKS - OLD CHURCH YARD NEW CD US $15.20 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Squeezing Out Sparks (+2 Bonus Tracks - Remastered) by Graham Parker (CD,... US $9.05 Buy It Now 8h 3m
Beachwood Sparks - Once Were DJ-ONLY advance CD SubPop US $9.97 [0 bids]
PRINCE Delirious 12" LP 33rpm SPARKS philippines MADONNA Everybody DEVO US $129.99 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Jordin Sparks - Self-titled (CD, Nov-2007) FAST SHIP US $4.38 Buy It Now 9h 19m
TREVOR SPARKS* JUST ONCE * GYAS - 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 20m
LARRY SPARKS - JOHN DEERE TRACTOR NEW CD US $22.14 Buy It Now 9h 21m
lot of 31 vinyl LPs SPARKS Split Enz SPOOKY TOOTH Soul Survivors SPINNERS US $16.50 [3 bids]
TELEX SEX '81 oop rare lp orig pvc8910 w/lyrics by SPARKS electronic new wave!! US $39.00 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Guitar SLIDE designed for best tone. Jed Sparks signiture guitar slide. US $3.89 [0 bids]
FOUR SPARKS: My Sweet Juanita (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 10h 26m
SPARKS, LARRY the footsteps of tradition VG/M- JAPAN LAX(KB)6004 | 14-0124-010 US $21.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
SPARKS, LARRY where the sweet waters flow VG/G USA OHS90035 | 14-0122-050 US $16.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
4 VCD's KATY PERRY USHER MADONNA RIHANNA COLDPLAY JORDIN SPARKS CHRIS BROWN US $23.52 Buy It Now 12h 3m
SPARKS - When Im With You ~ 7" Single PS US $11.02 Buy It Now 12h 8m
VALLEY GIRL-OST-RARE 6 SONG MINI ALBUM-WITHDRAWN LP-SEALED!!-JOSIE COTTON-SPARKS US $73.59 Buy It Now 12h 38m
SPARKS "7" SINGLE. US $6.77 Buy It Now 13h 25m
REUBEN WILSON GROOVE GREASE Melvin Sparks Soul Jazz CD US $11.75 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Sparks - Beat The Clock VS270 7" VINYL RECORD VG 09 US $4.23 Buy It Now 14h 45m
Sparks - Hello Young Lovers - U.S. cd - RARE! Digipak US $7.77 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Little Kirk & Trever Sparks - Youth And Youth LP dancehall ragga US $33.95 Buy It Now 15h 51m
CLINTON SPARKS & BUSTA RYMES New Crack City **NEW CD** US $16.90 Buy It Now 17h 49m
Sparks - Kimono My House - 9843417 US $12.37 Buy It Now 18h 30m
Beachwood Sparks - Desert Skies [Vinyl New] US $19.70 Buy It Now 18h 30m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks - 5486812 US $11.58 Buy It Now 18h 32m
SPARKS - EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP - LBRCD111X US $22.05 Buy It Now 18h 33m
Trevor Sparks,Devoted To You,Trevor Sparks - Little Twitch - Count On You,12" US $25.44 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly Deluxe (2010) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 18h 50m
SPARKS introducing LP Mint- WL Promo WLP PC 34901 w/Press Sheet, Inner US $24.00 Buy It Now 19h 5m
Big Time Rush - B.T.R. BTR CD Jordin Sparks US $5.99 [0 bids]
12 IN Disco SPARKS I Predict NM! Promo EB507 US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 20m
12 IN Disco SPARKS Progress NM! Promo EB507 US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 20m
Agent Sparks-Not So Merry: +DVD CD EP New US $6.97 Buy It Now 20h 42m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly US $11.06 Buy It Now 20h 50m
JIM WILSON LP Vinyl DANIEL LANOIS Sparks MOTHER SUPERIOR Emmylou Harris ROLLINS US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 55m
GRAHAM PARKER---SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS US $6.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS Exotic Creatures+1 Japan CD DVD Ron Russell Mael US $14.99 Buy It Now 21h 28m
MAYLAY SPARKS - GRAYMATTER NEW CD US $18.66 Buy It Now 21h 29m
SPARKS I PREDICT & MOUSTACHE 12" & PS SEALED SS FRANCE US $16.00 Buy It Now 21h 29m
LARRY SPARKS - BLUE MOUNTAIN MEMORIES NEW CD US $22.14 Buy It Now 21h 33m
SPARKS - I PREDICT/ MOUSTACHE- ORIGINAL 1982 FRENCH 7" SP 45 -RON US $10.00 Buy It Now 21h 34m
SPARKS I PREDICT & MOUSTACHE 12" & PS FRENCH PRESSING US $8.00 Buy It Now 21h 35m
HELLO EVERYONE - POPSIKE SPARKS FROM DENMARK STREET 1968-1970- GRAPEFRUIT US $15.26 Buy It Now 21h 40m
BARRY SPARKS can't look back JAPAN CD Dokken Ted Nugent US $10.99 Buy It Now 21h 41m
MINNY POPS - Sparks In A Dark Room (remastered) - 2xLP US $39.87 Buy It Now 21h 42m
SPARKS Music You Can Dance To 1986 USA LP MCA RECORDS 5780 US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 43m
IMMUNE SYSTEM usa 7" 45 AMBIVALENCE & SPARKS, punk US $15.99 Buy It Now 22h

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Big Beat ratings distribution

SPARKS Big Beat reviews

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars After Indiscreet showed that the band's UK art-glam approach had run its course, the brothers Mael decided it was time to do something totally different, so they returned to the US, picked up an entirely new group of session musicians and recorded an album closer to "normal" guitar rock than anything else in their catalogue. Aside from the vaudeville piano in "I Bought the Mississippi River" and some buried bits elsewhere, Ron's keyboards are essentially eliminated from the band's sound, and the emphasis of the sound is put squarely on the drums ... and the guitars and bass. Unfortunately, that sentence actually reflects the priority of the different instruments in the mix; the drums are jacked up REALLY HIGH in the mix (hence the title of the album), with the guitars sounding present but empty while the bass is present but has very little punch. It's very tempting to try and retcon an explanation for this along the lines of "Ron and Russell wanted a goofy mix to somehow satirize the fact that rock'n'roll is stylized dance music," but that's wishful thinking; the two ran away from this sound as fast as they could with their next album, and when I read that they considered the sound "bereft of personality," I get the sense that they felt this way as soon as they heard what the final pressing would sound like.

Fortunately, while the instrumentation is pretty bland and monotonous (excepting the final track), the album is still full of fascinating lyrics and strong hooks, so it's a nice listen regardless. For me, there are four tracks that are clearly top-notch, and the other seven tracks are all somewhere in the "good" range (except for "Confusion," which I find a bit of a throwaway, even if nothing about it is clearly bad). "I Bought Mississippi River," as mentioned, mingles vaudeville piano with the weird standard mix of the album, with Russell singing an awesome vocal melody set to lyrics about somebody who bought that river and now has to figure out what the hell to do with it. "Everybody's Stupid" is pure juvenile bile in the lyrics (but all the better for it; all of the verses are glorious) set to music heavily inspired by 50s rock and doo-wop, and high-pitched "Everybody's Stupid!!!" backing vocals over the extended coda never stop being funny (if, like me, you're secretly still 14 years old inside).

The other two great tracks bookend the second side and are amazing expressions of Russell/Ron's cynical attitudes towards women. "Throw Her Away (and Get a New One)" is everything I wish the bulk of the album could be, a magnificent speedy Cheap Trick-ish power pop number about the virtues of chasing younger women once your current flame has gotten a little out-of-date. It's a horrible sentiment, but it's a horrible sentiment expressed in the most memorable manner imaginable, and I can't resist singing along to the "Throw her away!!" backing vocals near the end if I'm alone. The final track of the album, "I Like Girls," had been part of the band's live repertoire since before Kimono, but hadn't received a satisfactory studio recording, and the arrangement (based around an awesome rising horn riff over a martial rhythm in the background, alternating with something more standard to the rest of the album) clearly betrays its earlier origins. The first verse sums up the tone of the song: "No one is restricted, no one is tied down/But the Greece of old collapsed 'cause/no one liked their girls/We won't have that problem, I'm doing my part/No one asked me but I'll still answer."

The rest of the album is mostly good, but the presentation is such that it rarely has a chance to rise far above it. The best of the lot is probably "Nothing to Do," which would have sounded magnificent if The Ramones had ever gotten around to covering it like Johnny Ramone wanted (the other band members declined), but still sounds good even with the guitars so muted. The opening "Big Boy" at least gives some clear justification to the beat- heavy mix (it's about a giant walking into town and wreaking havoc, though I'm not sure if it's about an actual giant or somebody with a giant penis), and the remaining two tracks on side one ("I Want to Be Like Everybody Else" and "Fill-er-up") are fun exercises in combining Chuck Berry licks with over-the-top spastic presentation of said licks (and, in the case of the latter, great lyrics about gorging on "fuel" with no consideration at all for the consequences). On side two, "Confusion" (as mentioned) doesn't do much for me, but the other two can't help but leave a pretty strong impression. In "Screwed Up," I'm still not actually sure how it is that anybody in the song is actually screwed up (as the chorus asserts), but the first verse is a real hoot, and the song feels like something resembling a real statement about the world at large more than most Sparks songs do, and I've always liked the tune, so I enjoy it a lot. Finally, "White Women" is about as racist, sexist and non-PC as Sparks can possibly be, but the drum heavy arrangement (with minimal guitar) really works with the song, and it's hard to imagine another context where hearing someone bellowing "AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! AS LONG AS THEY'RE WHITE! As long as they're white from head to toe ..." would be so enjoyable.

All in all, this is a good album, but it really strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity, and it doesn't quite crack the top tier of Sparks albums for me. Still, there's a good chunk of great material, and this is the first album from the band to not have any tracks that I find intolerably obnoxious, and thus I'd have to recommend this to anybody who thinks they might be a Sparks fan. Just don't go into it with excessive expectations and you'll be fine.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1134631) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Big Beat"