SALON DES REFUSES

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

In Lingua Mortua Salon des Refuses album cover

Buy IN LINGUA MORTUA Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

1. Full Fathom Five (3:49)
2. Existence (2:57)
3. Darkness (5:08)
4. Catharsis (3:33)
5. Like the Ocean (8:11)
6. Into the Mincer (1:42)
7. Open the Doors of Janus (5:32)
8. Electroution (1:29)
9. Skjelvend av Angst (3:46)
10. A Force of Nature (2:11)
11. Cold Void Messiah (6:51)

Search IN LINGUA MORTUA Salon des Refuses lyrics

Search IN LINGUA MORTUA Salon des Refuses tabs

- Lars Fredrik Frøislie/ Ludwig drums, vocals, Melotron M400, Hohner Clavinet D6, Minimoog model D, Hammond C3, Korg Polysix, Rickenbacker bass, piano, percussion, Jackson guitar, Chamberlin M-1, Arp Pro Soloist, Rhodes mark II, contrabass, Korg VC10 vocoder, marimba, glockenspiel, celesta, harmonica, SCI Prophet 5, Arp Axxe
- Thomas Myrvold/ Rickenbacker bass, Jackson guitar, ESP guitar, mandolin
- Niklas Kvarforth/ vocals (1,2,3,5,7,10,11)
- Jacob Holm-Lupo/ Gibson SG guitar, Jackson guitar, Rickenbacker bass (1,5,7,9)
- Jorgen Munkeby/ saxophone, bass clarinet (1,4,5,11)
- Raymond Haakenrud/ ESP guitar (1,2)
- Trondr Nefas/ Jackson guitar (1)
- Marius Olaussen/ LTD baritone guitar (1)
- Ketil Vestrum Einarsen/ flute (1)
- Geir Marius Bergom Halleland/ Les Paul guitar (3,9)
- Martin Johansson/ Jackson guitar (3)
- Tony Kareid/ Ibanez baritone guitar (3,5,6,7,9)
- Anders Blystad/ Martin acoustic guitar, Jackson guitar (3,5,7)
- Martin N. Kneppen/ Jackson guitar (6)
- Hallvard W. Hagen/ Gibson acoustic guitar (7,11)
- Thebon/ vocals (9)

Termo Records TERMOCD007

Thanks to sleeper for the addition

IN LINGUA MORTUA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IN LINGUA MORTUA Salon des Refuses Music

Salon Des RefusSalon Des Refus
Termo Records 2010
Bellowing Sea - Racked By TempestBellowing Sea - Racked By Tempest
Termo Records 2007

More places to buy IN LINGUA MORTUA music online Buy IN LINGUA MORTUA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IN LINGUA MORTUA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IN LINGUA MORTUA Salon des Refuses ratings distribution

IN LINGUA MORTUA Salon des Refuses reviews

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars Mention a band's death metal to me and I'll normally steer well clear. In Lingua Mortua certainly are that, to a point that is, but fortunately there's a lot more to these Norwegian's than that. I only came across them quite recently when I read a review and heard a track on a recent Classic Rock Prog Cd and was curious enough to want to hear more. I took a chance and bought this, Salon Des Refuses, the second album from the band.

I certainly can't deny that In Lingua Mortua produce an interesting sound, seemingly influenced by a wide diversity of sources. Take some death metal a la Morbid Angel, add some prog elements where you fuse moments of beauty with sheer intensity driven by ferocious blast beats a la Opeth (more earlier than later in style). To that add some King Crimson and wild sax playing. Fuse this all together with some complex arrangements and excellent musicianship and you might get an idea of what In Lingua Mortua sound like.

Salon Des Refuses is an album I admire rather than love which in a way is a shame. I've never been a fan of death metal growling style vocals and this records full of them. Even with Opeth, a band I truly love it's always been a bugbear but at least they have many moments of clean vocals which is not the case here. Musically though this is a very interesting album. The ferocious riffing against the haunting mellotron (another Opeth reference) and sax certainly makes a captivating combination. Most of the Eleven tracks never sit still for too long moving through many parts, the only repetition may be an overuse of blast beats but hey, what can you expect from death metal bands. The myriad of changes is more remarkable when you consider that with the exception of a couple of tracks, the eight minute Like The Ocean and seven minute Cold Void Messiah, the rest average between three and five minutes. Yes they do fit a lot into these short pieces. This certainly keeps things interesting but a downside to this is it's often not very memorable and even after a few plays I find myself getting to the end and not really remembering much of what's gone on.

Overall though this is a fine album and In Lingua Mortua have injected something new into a genre that can often be repetitious. Am I glad I bought it? Well, I'll say a reserved yes. It's not an album that'll be regularly pulled off the shelves but I'll certainly be interested to see where this band goes in the future. Fans of the more extreme metal though who enjoy growl style vocals will surely love this. If you're one of these people you need to hear In Lingua Mortua.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#400991) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post a review of IN LINGUA MORTUA "Salon des Refuses"