LIL' BEETHOVEN

Sparks

Sparks Lil' Beethoven album cover

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. The Rhythm Thief (5:15)
2. How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall? (3:50)
3. What Are All These Bands So Angry About? (3:32)
4. I Married Myself (4:58)
5. Ride 'Em Cowboy (4:20)
6. My Baby's Taking Me Home (4:42)
7. Your Call's Very Important To Us. Please Hold. (4:11)
8. Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls (7:07)
9. Suburban Homeboy (2:58)

Search SPARKS Lil' Beethoven lyrics

Search SPARKS Lil' Beethoven tabs

- Ron Mael / Keyboards, orchestrations, and programming
- Russell Mael / Vocals, and programming
- Tammy Glover / Drums
- Dean Menta / Guitar

Thanks to questionsneverknown for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Lil' Beethoven Music

Left Coast AngstLeft Coast Angst
Imports 2014
PropagandaPropaganda
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
Sparks Angst in My Pants Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP with OBI Glam Rock US $69.99 Buy It Now 33m 14s
Sparks In Outer Space Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP with OBI Glam Rock US $69.99 Buy It Now 45m 26s
Melvin Sparks - This Is It! CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 1h 23m
CD SPARKS/ Mael Bros 1968 Demo Lp - PARDON MY FRENCH US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
RANDY SPARKS - THE BIG NIGHT ROCKABILLY VG++ 45 US $75.50 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Sparks - Terminal Jive CD US $18.20 Buy It Now 3h 11m
SPARKS CALM BEFORE THE STORM 3TR EU CD SINGLE MINT CONDITION OPERA RON RUSSELL US $8.29 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Sparks Street, Love Huskies, New US $1.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Sparks - Suburban Homeboy (CD Single) US $24.91 Buy It Now 4h
Jeremy Kittel - Chasing Sparks [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Blue Sparks, Blue Sparks, Excellent EP US $1.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Music CD Album 2008 - DISC ONLY in Plastic Sleeve US $5.60 Buy It Now 6h 13m
NM- THE SPARKS FAMILY BLUEGRASS GOSPEL LP - HEAVEN THE LAND OF THE FREE!! US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Sparks Street * - Love Huskies (CD 1998) US $4.50 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Earle Mankey Real World Ep Sparks US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Sparks Modesty Plays, Angst In My Pants France 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks NEW CD US $8.16 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Graham Parker "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP VERY NICE!! US $5.98 Buy It Now 7h 41m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW VINYL LP ALBUM US $26.57 Buy It Now 8h 27m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS - NEW CD ALBUM US $16.60 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Sparks - kimono My House - French CD Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
IMOGEN HEAP - SPARKS (DELUXE EDITION) - NEW CD ALBUM US $23.25 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Graham Parkier and The Rumour "Squeezing Out Sparks" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 8h 46m
NEW Sparks Fly by CD-JEWEL CASE Book Free Shipping US $17.23 Buy It Now 8h 58m
NEW MUSIC FOR 2006-BELLE & AND SEBASTIAN-Sparks/BUZZCOCKS/Mark Lanegan/UNCUT/Cd US $10.29 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Sparks-Kimono My House-CD Album-Framed CD Clock-Fantastic Gift Idea US $33.22 Buy It Now 9h 17m
SPARKS---PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HAT US $6.00 [0 bids]
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach [CD New] US $9.98 Buy It Now 9h 34m
Sparks Fly Miranda Cosgrove CD New still sealed US $6.49 Buy It Now 9h 37m
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks 12" Amass 1992 US $24.91 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Sparks - Balls! [CD New] US $20.81 Buy It Now 10h 31m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $7.32 Buy It Now 11h
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven - Extended (NEW CD) US $18.68 Buy It Now 11h 26m
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY NEW CD US $14.64 Buy It Now 11h 42m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $6.21 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Sparks 7 All You Ever Think About is Sex / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 12h 28m
Sparks m- promo 7 Wonder Girl / Mr Nice Guy US $9.75 Buy It Now 12h 29m
Sparks EP - Near Perfect US $11.35 Buy It Now 12h 34m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $13.28 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Sparks SHORTCUTS 7 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REPERTOIRE 29 Track NEW SEALED 2 CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 12h 52m
EDITORS / ALL SPARKS / 2006 7" P/S US $8.29 Buy It Now 12h 59m
SPARKS - MAEL INTUITION THE BEST OF 74-76 CD: GREATEST HITS VERY SINGLES US $2.48 [1 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS - An Original Sound Recording-Tattoo-Freeze Shy Boy-One Step At A US $2.98 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Johnny Rivers Ricky Nelson Randy Sparks E-4256 Mono LP Record Album near mint! US $10.95 [0 bids]
Sparks, Melvin Im a Gittar Player CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 13h 55m
CORNERSTONE MIXTAPE - 46 - CLINTON SPARKS, EVIL DEE UNPLAYED MINT 3-CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $9.30 Buy It Now 14h 8m
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 14h 47m
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 14h 51m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $7.50 Buy It Now 14h 54m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $6.49 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 15h 7m
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 15h 13m
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 15h 37m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 15h 38m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.62 Buy It Now 15h 42m
??? ????? Jacky Cheung Sparks Of Love, RARE original 1st print CD 1992 PolydorHK US $75.00 [0 bids]
Hang Your Hat on the Wind Walt Disney Randy Sparks dh DQ-1332 EX LP Near Mint US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h
Randy Sparks & BPM American Gramophone Special edition open shrink1 poster 6tix US $17.00 [0 bids]
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 16h 20m
SPARKS: Beat The Clock/ Tryouts For tHe Human Race Rare CANADIAN 45 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 38m
RANDY SPARKS THREE S/T LP Verve Folk Mono US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks, Sparks, Jordin, Good Import US $2.31 Buy It Now 17h 34m
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 38m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 17h 58m
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 7m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 7m
The Best of Sparks [Repertoire] [Remaster] by Sparks (CD, Aug-2000, Repertoire) US $4.36 [2 bids]
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 19h
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS IN PERSON LEAD BY RANDY SPARKS-LP-NM-COLUMBIA TWO EYE US $5.99 [0 bids]
TORI SPARKS - SCORPION IN THE SKY NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 19h 12m
TORI SPARKS - UNTIL MORNING / COME OUT OF THE DARK NEW CD US $22.28 Buy It Now 19h 22m
TREVOR SPARKS -SWEET REGGAE / DICKIE RANKING -REGGAE RAP /JR DEMUS / SHELLY 1991 US $0.98 [0 bids]
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $7.89 Buy It Now 19h 40m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 46m
Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly [Delux +4 Bonus,12 tracks]CD, Columbia (USA) SEALED US $2.99 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS - THIS IS IT NEW CD US $22.67 Buy It Now 19h 51m
JORDIN SPARKS S.O.S. (Let The Music Play) 2009 PROMO CD / SOS US $1.99 [0 bids]
HOUSTON PERSON - Heavy Juice ~ MUSE 5260 {nm} w/Melvin Sparks, Jon Logan RARE US $24.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
SAD AMONG STRANGERS "Sparks Fly Upwards" UK 7" 45 Vinyl Single 1980 US $5.00 Buy It Now 21h 24m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME NEW CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 21h 51m
JAZZ COMP: .AIN'T IT FUNKY NOW 2LP, Feat. Melvin Sparks, Gene Ammons, Charles Ky US $31.41 Buy It Now 21h 52m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 22h
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.01 Buy It Now 23h 16m
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY (IMPORT) NEW CD US $15.80 Buy It Now 23h 21m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD NEW CD US $11.22 Buy It Now 23h 31m
Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks, Good US $4.74 Buy It Now 23h 47m
Now That I Own The BBC by Sparks-1994,Dance/House Import Maxi Single CD,Logic US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MELVIN SPARKS - GROOVE ON UP NEW CD US $22.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe (NEW 2CD) US $21.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $15.40 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Lil' Beethoven ratings distribution

SPARKS Lil' Beethoven reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars It took Sparks another six years to follow up Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins, but Balls was clearly not what the audiences wanted to hear by that point in time. Instead of sinking even deeper into electronic soundscapes and alienating even more fans, Sparks made a genius move of moving away from the tradition pop music and leap into the domain of pure Art Rock!

The duo dropped the synth-pop sound and began developing music based upon piano arangements and lyrics of Ron Mael and Russell Mael's vocals. New inspiration sources like a clear incorporation of classical music, distinct piano lines, synthesized orchestration and multi-tracking was brought in to completely change the band as we've known them for the last 30 years. This was clearly a huge leap into the unknown which most long lasting acts wouldn't even imagine of taking, but Sparks were clearly brave enough to undertake such a move!

The final result was a smashing success with the critics, something that Sparks haven't achieved since the early '70s! It was a bit unfortunate that the music on Lil' Beethoven was ignored by the mainstream audiences, although it is somewhat understandable since this album wasn't streamlined for anyone who can't handle Art Rock. This music might seem very simplistic at first, but this is far from a simple record that most people would associate with pop music, a weird contrast indeed!

A DVD produced by Demon Vision was also released of a live performance of the album. The live performance was filmed in March 2004 at the Södra Teatern here in Stockholm, Sweden and I was there to witness the even! Sparks performed the album in all its complete glory and followed it by a set of twelve older classics. Truly a magical once in a lifetime event.

I clearly have a soft spot for Lil' Beethoven, but it's not based on a completely sentimental level. There compositions are truly a spectacle to behold and I have no intention of ruining any surprises for you. Seek out this album and find the magic for yourself!

***** star songs: The Rhythm Thief (5:19) What Are All These Bands So Angry About? (3:32) I Married Myself (4:58) Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls (7:07)

**** star songs: How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall? (3:50) Ride 'Em Cowboy (4:20) My Baby's Taking Me Home (4:42) Your Call's Very Important To Us, Please Hold (4:11) Suburban Homeboy (2:58)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#450577) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars It's safe to say that nobody saw this coming, and with good reason. Sparks' emergence from the depths of 80s oblivion was a nice story, but the way it happened (with the band embracing contemporary techno) wasn't especially surprising, and their output, while good, was hardly on par with their best work. Plus, the group's mini-resurgence could just as easily have been attributed to scaling back its workload as to any significant increase in creativity; putting aside Plagiarism (which was just rearrangements of old material), the band's last two albums had each come after a break of six years. Yes, both Gratuitous Sax and Balls had some real gems, but on the whole the band's grand synth pop experiment (now seven albums long if we're counting Plagiarism) had really run out of steam. At this point was going to take a major change of direction to change the band's fortunes.

I really don't know exactly how the inspiration for this album's approach, which I will dub "chamber techno" even though not everything falls under that categorization, came to Russell and Ron, but the idea must have come to them in a pretty short span of time, because they started recording this album about a year after releasing Balls and released it about a year after that. To the extent that this album (at least the first seven tracks; the eighth and ninth tracks need to be categorized on their own) has a formula, it can be described as following this pattern:

1. The music is repetitive in a manner that best emulates techno.

2. The instrumentation is stripped down to a minimal number of keyboard parts, often using "orchestral" synth patches.

3. Percussion is minimal, mostly consisting of an occasional tympani, but certainly not used to generate the primary rhythmic pulse.

4. The primary rhythmic pulse, in turn, comes from the vocals, which tend to grab onto a small number of phrases and repeat them over and over, with occasional vocal asides.

In the first seven tracks, only one, "What Are All These Bands So Angry About?" breaks from the formula significantly (no techno here, though it does have big booming tympanies). The song is essentially an old man rant against kids and their music these days, but it's done in an impressive manner, correctly noting that bands can out-anger and out-profane each other only so much, and there's something oddly piercing about the "Some might have done what we'll never do" line (which comes after namechecking several great musicians) near the end. The formula itself, then, is forcefully introduced with the opening "The Rhythm Thief," which begins with Russell saying "I am the rhythm thief/Say goodbye to the beat/I am the rhythm thief/auf wiedersehen to the beat" over quiet synth strings and quiet repetitions of the phrase "rhythm rhythm rhythm thief," before exploding into a bombastic chorus of "OH NO! WHERE DID THE GROOVE GO, WHERE DID THE GROOVE GO, WHERE DID THE GROOVE GO? Lights out, Ibiza, WHERE DID THE GROOVE GO, WHERE DID THE GROOVE GO, WHERE DID THE GROOVE GO??" over very bombastic parts. The ensuing section is every bit as interesting, mostly because the main rhythmic strike comes from "back" in the phrase "You'll never get it back, you'll never get it back/The rhythm thief has got it and you'll never get it back ..." but also because of the busy bombast coming from Ron's keys underneath. Over the rest of the song, these two main sections are repeated over and over, in whole and in part, until the final conclusion where the introduction, the chorus, and the "never get it back" sections are largely smooshed together. To be honest, I think that Ron missed a chance for an extra level of subversion (especially given the album title) which could have come if he'd bothered to put the sections into sonata form (which could be done with a little bit of reordering), but overall the song is a magnificent statement, not only as a tone-setter for the album but also a full rejection of its techno-pop past.

"How Do I Get to Carnegie Hall" (or, as Russell pronounces it in a way that drives my wife batty, 'Car-NEG-ie Hall') is another clear instance of the formula, except for the fact that orchestral patches are pushed aside (the more bombastic moments don't pretend to be anything other than synths) and that the keyboards are set to sound like a grand piano. The lyrics and rhythmic drive are based around Russell incessantly reciting the setup and punchine of the old "How do I get to Carnegie Hall"/"Practice, man, practice!" joke, with a smattering of other lyrics and occasional other looped bits, like the word "Steinway" or "bravo!" over rhythmic applause and the busy piano. Amidst all of the main chunks of the song, though, I've always found the quiet "still there is no sign of you" line as the most impactful bit.

After "What Are All These Bands So Angry About?" comes "I Married Myself," a quieter song that I used to skip whenever I listened to the album, and while I still don't quite love it, I like it more than I used to. I would best describe it as "variations on a theme from two snippets of an unwritten Wings ballad," and I don't love the bits that are repeated (not to mention that tapping into the same general idea as "Falling in Love With Myself Again" irritates me a little), I've come to like them. Much better is "Ride 'Em Cowboy," which is propelled by electric piano (with occasional synth strings and synth harpsichord draped on top) while Russell sings all sorts of brief snippets hinting at stories of going from bad to worse (sample lines: "From wowed to bored/Ole, then gored").

After "Cowboy" is a track that, along with "The Rhythm Thief," best displays the potential of this album to take simple ideas, repeated incessantly, and make them into something great. "My Baby's Taking Me Home" consists of Russell singing the chorus well over 100 times, with the music building from a simple set of keyboard lines into a thickly arranged explosion (complete with snippets of actual guitar and actual drums), and with a fascinating mid-song monologue that fits in perfectly with the atmosphere of the rest. The song taps into the same kind of anthemic simplicity that used to fuel songs like "Hey Jude" or "Isn't it a Pity," and while that won't win anybody over who hates those songs, it works just fine for somebody like me who loves them. On the other side of the spectrum, though, comes the best example of the album's potential to be annoying as hell. "Your Call is Very Important to Us, Please Hold" is amusing for about 30 seconds, with the opening "I'm getting mixed signals, mixed signals, mixed mixed mixed signals" bit and the first glimpse of the main portion of the song, but the rest of the song makes for one of the longest and most excruciating 4:11 experiences I can think of. I guess that part of the point of the song was to call up the same level of stress and aggravation that comes from being put on hold for a long time, and I respect the effort, but I feel like they went too far. Once again, Sparks shows its ability to mess up in even the best of circumstances.

"Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls" sets the situation right, though. At first it sounds like it's going to be a lovely ballad, albeit with an amusingly bitter title, but then a piercing "wah wah wah wah" from multiple Russells pops up, and then there's a lumbering metallic guitar sound (from Faith No More guitarist Dean Menta), and then suddenly the track becomes the first heavy-guitar-based Sparks song since Big Beat (not counting Plagiarism). The lyrics primarily consist of a really long rant about gold-digging women ending up with ugly rich guys, and while the pedantic detail it goes into could be considered obnoxious, the combination of the rant with pseudo-tough guitars, pounding drums and repeated interjections like "it ain't done with smoke and mirrors!" (as well as repeated instances of the "wah wah wah wah" bit) manages to make the track rather intriguing. It sounds like nothing else on the album to this point, and while the track is a little ridiculous, the contrast between it and the rest of the album is enough to make it a crucial piece of the album.

Finally, the closing vaudeville-inspired "Suburban Homeboy" has pretty much nothing in common with the rest of the album, and it could be considered an out-of-place novelty piece if somebody felt so inclined, but I love it to pieces anyway. The lyrics take on an easy target, namely rich white teenagers (and, in the last verse, rich white graduates of fancy schools) who pretend to be black and ghetto, and while there's a bit of a "shooting fish in a barrel" to it, the lyrics are so silly that I can forgive the relatively low degree of difficulty. "I am a suburban homeboy with a suburban ho right by my side/I am a suburban homeboy and I say 'yo dawg' to my detailing guy." If I'm stupid for liking this song so much, so be it.

Overall, I like this album about as much as I can like any album without quite loving it. After all, it does have a song ("Your Call...") that I really don't like much, and another song ("I Married Myself") that I tend to find a little boring. Plus, as much as I really respect and admire the cleverness needed to take an approach completely unlike any I've ever heard elsewhere, I admit that I sometimes catch myself thinking that the songs go too long, even if their excessive length is part of the point. Honestly, though, these are just nit-picks. If it's not quite on the level of the debut or Kimono, then it's very close, and every Sparks fan (who somehow doesn't know this album already) needs to own this. Let's hear it for the one of the all-time great comeback albums, too.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1166428) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 27, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Lil' Beethoven"