HELLO YOUNG LOVERS

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Dick Around (6:35)
2. Perfume (4:59)
3. The Very Next Fight (5:18)
4. (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56)
5. Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10)
6. Metaphor (4:03)
7. Waterproof (4:17)
8. Here Kitty (4:26)
9. There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)
10. As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At the Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers lyrics

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers tabs

- Ron Mael / keyboards and orchestrations
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Tammy Glover / drums
- Dean Menta / guitar
- Jim Wilson / guitar
- Steve McDonald / bass

Thanks to questionsneverknown for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Hello Young Lovers Music

Oglio Records 1998
Best ofBest of
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2000
New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
ADRIAN CROWLEY - SEASON OF SPARKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 56m 41s
LARRY SPARKS - RAMBLIN BLUEGRASS NEW CD US $12.73 Buy It Now 1h 5m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - WORM MOON WANING (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $16.91 Buy It Now 1h 6m
THE SHAMBLES reviving sparks early tracks demos CD JAPAN POWER POP MOD L@@K US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Minton Sparks - This Dress [CD New] US $20.03 Buy It Now 1h 24m
SPARKS ORIGINAL PROPAGANDA ALBUM 1974 ! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jeff Sparks - Jazzy Christmas With Jeff Sparks [CD New] US $13.21 Buy It Now 1h 27m
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $24.99 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks - Red Rover [CD New] US $8.24 Buy It Now 1h 37m
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD ALBUM TO US 1977 PROMO LP (AEROSMITH SANTANA KANSAS SPARKS) US $5.29 Buy It Now 1h 57m
CD TORI SPARKS UNDER THIS YELLOW SUN NEW FACTORY SEALED CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
SPARKS UK 1995 CD Single WHEN I KISS YOU I Hear Charlie Parker Playing 26426.2 US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Ultimix 142 CD Ultimix Records Jonas Brothers,Jordin Sparks,The Ting Tings,Bleu US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
SPARKS - TWO HANDS ONE MOUTH LIVE IN EUROPE NEW CD US $28.74 Buy It Now 2h 47m
SPARKS Propaganda CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 2h 55m
SPARKS - NEW MUSIC FOR AMNESIACS: ESSENTIAL COLLECTION NEW CD US $33.68 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Sparks of Seven Album No. 1 CD US $7.38 Buy It Now 3h 15m
SPARKS CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP DISPLAY FREE P&P! US $149.12 Buy It Now 3h 17m
JET MARKET - SPARKS AGAINST DARKNESS JAPAN TOUR BONUS CD RARE [CD NEW] US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS funny face 7" WS EX/M uk why US $11.58 Buy It Now 3h 46m
SPARKS so important 12" 3 trk extremely important mix b/w single version and jus US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 50m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 4 trk promo red jerry mix, when i dub you mix b/w bea US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 50m
SPARKS when i kiss you 12" 3 trk radio edit promo (74321267691) european logic 1 US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Trevor Sparks "A little way Different" L.P. and Jacket Mint - US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - PROPAGANDA [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $10.15 Buy It Now 4h 34m
RARE FIND, THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS, VINTAGE VINYL LP CL 1941 Randy Sparks VG+ US $4.95 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS - PERMANENT MONDAY 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS208 # US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Papa John DeFrancesco - Hip Cake Walk CD Melvin Sparks US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
EDITORS ALL SPARKS CD RARE Includes 3 NON-LP Tracks * NEW * VIDEO SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
RAZZY BAILEY-SPARKS PLANTATION PLP 47 NEW SEALED LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 5h 31m
LARRY SPARKS and the LONESOME RAMBLERS Ramblin Bluegrass US $14.90 Buy It Now 5h 36m
The New Christy Ministrels Land of Giants Direction Randy Sparks CS 8987 VG /VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
ERNIE SPARKS all about fiddling STONEWAYstereo US $14.90 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Rock Promo 45 TOM SPARKS Callin' Out to You on A&M (Pro US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Mael Intuition / Best Of Sparks 1974-76 Sparks Audio CD US $14.47 Buy It Now 5h 57m
GRAHAM PARKER Squeezing out sparks Vinyl LP VERTIGO 9102 030 1979 US $16.55 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Sparks- Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat- new/sealed cassette tape US $5.50 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Not So Merry [EP] [Digipak] [CD & DVD] by Agent Sparks US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
BLUEGRASS / COUNTRY 45 LARRY SPARKS PINE TREE 104 LOVING SWEETHEART NEAR MINT US $7.99 [0 bids]
Squeezing Out Sparks Graham Parker Audio CD US $14.47 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Sparks Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat LP Atlantic 80160-1 1984 promo copy US $5.00 [0 bids]
Kentucky Banjo by Larry Sparks (CD, Sep-2008, Gusto Records) US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Graham Parker Squeezing Out Sparks Artista AB 4223 G+ / G+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 40m
LASSE LINDH - SPARKS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $29.11 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" Single 1974 US $16.57 Buy It Now 6h 48m
(EA705) United Ghosts, Sparks From A Cold Star - 2013 DJ CD US $4.95 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks (CD) 13 Tracks - Ex Condition - Fast Postage US $6.61 Buy It Now 7h 5m
(861X) The Wookies, Sparks - CD US $4.06 Buy It Now 7h 6m
LARRY SPARKS: Lonesome Sounds Of LP (autograph, '74) Bluegrass US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 9m
(CX941) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 sealed DJ CD US $4.95 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Awana Sparks Skipper handbook music CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS - 12" Single - Young Girls/Just Because You Love Me US $11.58 Buy It Now 7h 33m
SAHARA HOTNIGHTS - SPARKS NEW CD US $38.26 Buy It Now 7h 45m
SPARKS ~ LIVERPOOL EMPIRE OCTOBER 31 1975 ~ USED CONCERT GIG TICKET STUB US $58.00 Buy It Now 8h 6m
(AZ960) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.56 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Make the Cowboy Robots Cry [EP] by Beachwood Sparks (CD, May-2002, Sub Pop (USA) US $1.99 [0 bids]
TUPOLEV - TOWERS OF SPARKS NEW CD US $29.11 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Randy Sparks Walkin' The Low Road/Jamaica Fisherman 45 RPM Verve Records VG+ US $8.95 Buy It Now 8h 29m
SP20 FESTIVAL sub pop POSTER todd barry erics trip fleet foxes beachwood sparks US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 14m
NICK URATA - RUBY SPARKS NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 9h 38m
TAYLOR SWIFT Sparks Fly CD SINGLE One Track BRAND NEW Numbered Limited RARE US $199.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 Buy It Now 10h 24m
ALIEN PARADISE COMPILATED BY DJ SPARKS CD NEW SS K384 US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS- LAND OF GIANTS -DIRECTED BY RANDY SPARKS US $24.99 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS: Desert Skies LP Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Autographed Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $25.00 [0 bids]
BEACHWOOD SPARKS "The Tarnished Gold" LP 2012, Sub Pop (Vinyl) US $24.95 Buy It Now 11h 43m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH - CD, 2007 US $5.66 Buy It Now 11h 50m
RARE REGGAE 12" 45 - TREVOR SPARKS - RIDING FOR A FALL - SPIDER MAN SPM 204 US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 52m
SPARKS - BEAT THE CLOCK - Y2K U.S. PROMO 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Sparks - The No. 1 Song In Heaven - '98 U.S. PROMO 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Lot 3 singles 7" LIO banana split jacno sparks 80's Banana Split Teenager rare!! US $65.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
Sparks - Just Got Back From Heaven - U.S. 12" VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 12h 55m
NATE SPARKS - FROM WHERE I STAND NEW CD US $21.11 Buy It Now 13h 14m
RANDY SPARKS Lot of (2) LP's VERVE MGM labels (#9429) 60's COUNTRY Western US $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 18m
SPARKS ~ Tryouts For The Human Race ~ 12" Single ORANGE VINYL US $16.64 Buy It Now 13h 44m
I'm a Gittar Player Melvin Sparks CD Cannonball Records 14.99 out of print US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 45m
NEW - Mad Ave Movement by Omillio Sparks US $5.95 Buy It Now 14h 14m
rare funk LONNIE SMITH blue note THINK soul jazz MELVIN SPARKS funky OG LP US $7.99 [1 bids]
Sparks - Monster of Love 12 tracks - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $15.98 Buy It Now 15h
EDITORS All Sparks CD w CICADA REMIX & video + From The Outside htf / oop US $14.99 [0 bids]
Travelin' Larry Sparks Country & Folk 1992 CD US $12.00 Buy It Now 15h 37m
ORBITAL Blue album 2LP Vinyl Orb Sparks Russell Mael Techno US $74.99 Buy It Now 16h 6m
SPARKS 7"Single -Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth US $11.58 Buy It Now 17h
ISLAND LIFE 53 TRACK 3CD SET U2,SPARKS,FREE,JETHRO TULL,PAUL WELLER US $11.58 Buy It Now 17h 12m
SPARKS 7" Amateur Hour USA New Wave Glam Queen SPAIN US $24.00 Buy It Now 17h 17m
SPARKS 7" Tips for teens USA New Wave Glam Queen SPAIN US $22.00 Buy It Now 17h 17m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE TURKISH PRESSING MEGA RARE US $160.00 Buy It Now 17h 22m
Coldplay Promo cassette Seal SPARKS CAREFUL WHERE YOU STAND YELLOW SEE YOU SOON US $49.99 Buy It Now 17h 31m
Sparks Kimono My House LP (1974) ILPS 9272 Island Pink Rim Label US $12.43 Buy It Now 17h 57m
RANDY SPARKS these thousand hills 7" PS EX/VG hong kong US $11.58 Buy It Now 18h 38m
SPARKS music that you can dance to 7" PS EX/EX uk wos US $11.58 Buy It Now 18h 45m
Radio Stars Nervous Wreck 12" 1977 UK *Numbered Vinyl Sparks Jet John's Children US $23.95 Buy It Now 18h 45m
Noctorum - Sparks Lane (2003) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.10 Buy It Now 19h 33m
Sparks on a String * by Orbiter (CD, May-2002, Loveless Records) US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 43m
Randy Sparks LP R.S. & the B.P.M. Initial Album US $24.99 Buy It Now 19h 45m
cd-album, Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To, The Best Of US $11.12 Buy It Now 19h 56m
Trevor Sparks,Devoted To You,Trevor Sparks - Little Twitch - Count On You,12" US $23.18 Buy It Now 20h
DJ SPARKS Hang Dem High Alpha Mix Omega Mix classic Yaw 1993 ragga jungle US $35.00 Buy It Now 21h 4m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers ratings distribution

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Hello Young Lovers was a direct followup to the band's previous release Lil' Beethoven in every sense of the word. There is a clear continuation of the themes of the previous album and most of the compositions from these two releases are easily interchangeable with one another. This is at least what I seemed to remember of this release before giving it a new spin the other day. The music that I heard was still the same but I was surprised to realize that Hello Young Lovers was not as masterful as I remembered it to be.

Just like with Lil' Beethoven, I got introduced to this album through the live performance of the entire album at exactly the same venue as last time. The only difference this time was the fact that, unlike Lil' Beethoven, Hello Young Lovers wasn't yet released here in Sweden when the band performed these songs. I remember getting my hands on a single version of Dick Around, which had a completely different feel to it compared to the studio version, but that's pretty much all I knew about this album before entering the live venue and hearing the entire performance.

The gig was just as mesmerizing as what I heard the last time and it was easy to fall in live with these songs even before hearing their studio versions. The biggest difference that Hello Young Lovers offered was a wider range of instrumental arrangements. Best example of this can be heard in the extensive use of a distorted electric guitar, which was only prominently used on one track on Lil' Beethoven.

Most of my favorite tracks come right at the end, which is in direct contrast of how things were on Lil' Beethoven, but other than that this album is a great piece of music very much worth exploring!

***** star songs: Metaphor (4:03) Waterproof (4:17) As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At The Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

**** star songs: Dick Around (6:35) Perfume (4:59) The Very Next Fight (5:18) (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56) Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10) Here Kitty (4:26) There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#450597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars One interesting effect of the unexpected artistic and critical success of Lil' Beethoven was that, for the first time in a couple of decades, there was (relatively) serious anticipation for a new Sparks album, not just among hardcore fans but among a broader public ("broader public" needs to be properly and narrowly constrained of course). For me, the biggest point of curiosity was exactly how Sparks was going to approach this album in context of the success of Lil Beethoven. On the one hand, making an album that closely adhered to the LB formula would have been a disappointment; much of the charm of that album came from what a one-of-a-kind novelty (meant in a good way) it was, and a followup that came across as a clone wouldn't be able to provide the same kind of impact. On the other hand, if they didn't make an album that closely adhered to the LB formula, what else exactly were they going to do? They couldn't very well go back into the world of techno after the mantra of "Say goodbye to the beat" that had helped define the tone of LB, but the alternative, assuming they wouldn't make a clone of LB, was to find a distinct and new approach. And ... well ... what if LB had been a fluke, and they didn't have another batch of inspiration to dive into?

The resulting album was about as good as could have been hoped for. In relation to LB, I will say that Hello Young Lovers is nowhere near a LB clone, but it's also an album that I can't imagine Sparks being able to make if they hadn't made LB first. There are definitely some familiar features from LB on here: the vocals break out of singing into speaking (sometimes rhythmic, sometimes not) pretty frequently, there are many phrases that are incessantly repeated, and Ron frequently uses orchestral (and occasionally harpsichord) patches in his keyboard parts. Beyond these common principles, however, the albums are quite different; there's a lot more guitar here (it's actually woven into several songs, as opposed to being lightly drizzled in the background occasionally or used for shock value), and there's a genuine swing in a lot of the songs that hadn't been a regular part of Sparks albums since Indiscreet or maybe bits of Introducing Sparks. All told, this is a great sound for the band at this stage of its career, and it made it 100% clear that the band's techno days were over (after all, LB still had one foot in the past with its chamber-techno leanings).

My initial impression on hearing the opening "Dick Around" was that this was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard, one of the most ridiculous tracks I'd ever heard, or possibly both, and I've essentially settled on the "both" choice. The lyrics tell of the rise and fall and eventual rise of a corporate go-getter who loses his woman and job and eventually gets the woman back, while in the interim he just dicks around, but just describing the lyrics doesn't begin to describe the song. Multi-track faux-operatic rapid-fire Russell is in full-force, with a solo Russell only appearing occasionally (making it all the more noteworthy when he does), and the music careens from "How Do I Get to Carnegie Hall?" piano to metallic heavy rock to jazzy interludes in a way that seems preposterous on first listen but makes total sense thereafter (at least it did for me). There are too many interesting moments and lyrics in the song to give a full accounting, but I will say (a) that the first time the distorted guitars come in during the "Pull yourself up off the ground ..." verse is one of the great guilty pleasures in my life, (b) the lyrics in the "rise" part tell a pretty evocative story in not that many words, and (c) the chorus ("All I do now is dick around/When the sun goes up and the moon goes down/And the leaves are green and the leaves are brown/And all I do now is dick around") is just gobs of fun to sing when I listen to this. Plus, this track out-Queens Queen so heavily (after Sparks had more or less given birth to Queen) that it almost eliminates Queen's need to exist. The following "Perfume" is a rather fascinating up-tempo mix of piano, bass and grumbly guitars, with Russell matching a bunch of women (with the implication that these are all romantic interests from his past) with their choices of perfume, and him choosing to be with a girl who doesn't wear any perfume because she won't remind him of any of those women. So sue me, it's a ridiculous bit, but when Russell speaks, "The olefactory sense is the sense/That most strongly evokes memories of the past/Well, screw the past!" it cracks me up every time, and it's a fun diversion in the midst of a great song.

The next three tracks all have some clearly discernable weakness or another, but I still quite like all of them. "The Very Next Night" is slow, dreary, repetitive, and has almost no singing (Russell is talking through most of the song, apart from occasional sung background parts or snippets of melody here and there), but I feel like it deserves some notice for the way it depicts an angry drunk who won't take responsibility for his behavior. The lyrics describe a guy who keeps getting in fights over his woman, and who keeps offering pathetic excuses like "How can I let it go if I can't control myself?/How can I let it go if I cannot help myself?" in the context of repetition that strikes me every time as a depiction of double vision and not seeing the world clearly. Musically, it's mostly atmospheric piano, but there's a lovely and sad harpsichord bit in the middle, and the emergence of the grumbly guitars near the end always strongly suggest to me an especially bad episode coming on. It's not the most interesting track in the world, but I like it a lot more than I once did.

"(Baby Baby) Can I Invade Your Country?" was, unfortunately, the victim of some sort of weird censorship, the details of which I don't actually know, and the version that ultimately made the album feels neutered. The version that made it onto a B-side contains lyrics that are surprisingly political and pretty pointed in their silliness, but the album version removes those lyrics and replaces them with Russell reciting the first verse of "The Star-Spangled Banner" instead. Oh well, even without the better verses, the chorus is delightful, and the interaction between the guitars and the bouncy synths make the song fly by. Closing out the first half is "Rock, Rock, Rock," and while it struck me as really stupid on the first few listens (namely because the idea of Russell Mael singing "I will rock, rock, rock/Like a mother, like a mother, like a mother, like a mother" in a "Rhythm Thief" manner struck me as too silly even for Sparks), I came around to it once I made an effort to pay attention to the whole song. Basically, the song is about somebody whose significant other is threatening to leave him because he shows no passion in his life, and in his pleading to keep them from going he promises to cast away the soft musical passages of his life and to rock, rock, rock instead. There's a bit more to the song than just the lyrics and the big bombast of the music (for instance, I find the little vocal echoes from time to time intriguing), but those are ultimately the focus, and they're good enough for me.

The second half of the album is really strong, apart from the three-minute waltz-like throwaway of "There's No Such Thing as Aliens," which doesn't so much commit the crime of annoying me as it just makes almost no impression no matter how many times I hear it. "Metaphor" would be good if it only featured its marvelous hook of "Chicks, dig, dig, d-i-g, dig, dig metaphors," but it also features some fun call-and-response between Russell and other Russells, and the balance between keyboards and guitars perfect. Plus, "Use them wisely/Use them well/And you'll never know the hell of loneliness" is just such an insightful lyric. "Waterproof" is about somebody with a peculiar dual immunity to getting wet from rain and also from being swayed by tears, and the song's build from a playful duet between a solo Russell and Ron into an anthemic army of Russells over Ron's keyboards and guitars is a joy to behold. Plus it has those jazzy breaks of Russell semi-singing "The skies are starting to cloud up/But that won't slow me down ..." between the various iterations of the great verse and chorus melodies, and silly lines like "Completely dry/Dry as a Navajo in August ..." and "I see you crying but I'm not buying your Meryl Streep mimicry ..." scattered throughout. And "Here Kitty," while it probably would have been done in a way that would have annoyed me to death had it been written during the LB sessions, ends up as a great exercise in layering different Russell vocal lines on top of each other, and this is a track that I'd love to hear done by a college glee club or something along those lines.

The album concludes with "As I Sit Down to Play the Organ at the Notre Dame Cathedral," which is easily one of the longest and most intricate tracks in the Sparks catalogue. The song starts with about 90 seconds of different variations on the phrase "Bye bye bye my baby/Now it's time time time for me to go to/Work work Work/So you might want to work your way from here" over guitars and keyboards with odd tones, before moving into a song centered around a nagging upwards organ lick over which Russell sings lyrics devoted to a fascinating premise. Basically, the organist (a) is irritated that the bulk of his audience cares more about God than about his performance, and (b) is totally trying to use his organ playing to pick up girls, targeting those who are inside to get out of the rain more than for any religious purpose. The music is full of "Hallelujah!" chants and sung "La, la ..." parts to that upwards organ lick (the use of the repeated "I believe!" bits sandwiched around the "La, la" parts during a part of the song that is the organist getting lucky amuses me to no end) and lots of entertaining bombast that all make this into a great ending.

In the end, I can't really figure out whether I like this album more or less than LB, but the difference either way would only be the tiniest bit, so it doesn't really matter. There are definitely enough small things (I didn't really emphasize the repetition much in this review, but there are small moments where repeated bits get on my nerves) to keep this from a higher grade, but regardless of exact grade, this album firmly established the Sparks comeback as legitimate, and this makes the album an important inclusion to a Sparks collection. Or, for that matter, a rock rock rock collection.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1197276) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Hello Young Lovers"