HELLO YOUNG LOVERS

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Dick Around (6:35)
2. Perfume (4:59)
3. The Very Next Fight (5:18)
4. (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56)
5. Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10)
6. Metaphor (4:03)
7. Waterproof (4:17)
8. Here Kitty (4:26)
9. There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)
10. As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At the Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers lyrics

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers tabs

- Ron Mael / keyboards and orchestrations
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Tammy Glover / drums
- Dean Menta / guitar
- Jim Wilson / guitar
- Steve McDonald / bass

Thanks to questionsneverknown for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Hello Young Lovers Music

Kimono My HouseKimono My House
PropagandaPropaganda
IndiscreetIndiscreet
Terminal JiveTerminal Jive
Repertoire 1999
#1 in Heaven#1 in Heaven
Repertoire 1999
LOT OF 2 CLINTON SPARKS MIX CD KANYE WEST TOUCH THE SKY & BUSTA RHYMES NEW US $7.99 [0 bids]
Beachwood Sparks - Tarnished Gold [Vinyl New] US $19.98 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Peppino D'agostino Sparks Shanachie 96004 Mint- Cover and vinyl in shrink US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
PATTON SPARKS - LOADED & LOUD NEW CD US $14.70 Buy It Now 2h 2m
TOM SPARKS & MOUNTAINHEATH - 45 RARE SEATLLE ROCK US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
(DX151) Sparks, Iron City - 2009 CD US $10.13 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $3.75 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks,Artist - Jordin Sparks, in Good condition CD US $2.89 Buy It Now 3h 54m
TIGERBOMBS - 1OOO SPARKS b/w HEART GRENADES - RF - PIC.SLV + 45 - EU PRESSING US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Sixteen Deluxe - Emits Showers of Sparks CD NM gold stamp promo US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Sparks-When I Kiss You I Hear Charlie Parker-LP NM- US $5.95 Buy It Now 4h 46m
THE SPARKS (MAEL BROTHERS) AMATEUR HOUR ( DUTCH ISLAND 13488 AT) 7"PS 1974 US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
LARRY SPARKS "Lonesome Guitar" RARE TEST PRESSINGS Rebel 1633 US $55.23 Buy It Now 6h 21m
LARRY SPARKS "Lonesome Guitar" RARE TEST PRESSINGS Rebel 1633.1 US $55.23 Buy It Now 6h 24m
SPARKS Mael Intuition The Best Of Sparks 1974-76 CD BRAND NEW US $16.82 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks That's the way 12" AMASS004 G/EX UK US $15.51 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Sparks - When I kiss you UK 12" US $14.93 Buy It Now 8h 49m
cd-single, Jordin Sparks - Tatoo, 2 Tracks, Australia US $3.70 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 Buy It Now 9h 49m
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $39.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
SPARKS Terminal Jive JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +3 US $29.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
LP Various "Music Express" 20 Twenty Original Hits & Stars" K-TEL TE 702 Sparks US $11.61 Buy It Now 10h 46m
STAR TRAKS various blondie regents vapous sparks NE 1070 k-tel 1980 LP PS VG/EX US $13.27 Buy It Now 10h 49m
SPARKS Funny Face / Don't Shoot Me 1981 German Ariola/Oasis 7" & PS US $7.49 Buy It Now 10h 54m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH - 7" VINYL 1974 ISLAND US $5.46 Buy It Now 11h 29m
YELLOW RED SPARKS-YELLOW RED SPARKS VINYL LP NEW US $22.73 Buy It Now 11h 36m
AGENT SPARKS - RED ROVER * - NEW CD US $5.23 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Crowley Adrian - Season Of The Sparks - CHEM124CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 12h 40m
UKRAINE import SPARKS Exotic Creatures of the Deep MOON rec. UKR CD US $11.92 Buy It Now 12h 43m
CHROME SPARKS - Goddess - 12" + MP3 download code US $20.51 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Sparks,A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing,LP US $34.03 Buy It Now 13h 14m
Trevor Sparks Sparks Gold Disc Reggae LP Playgraded US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 29m
SPARKS KIMONO 1974 ORIGINAL RARE EXYUGO LP US $102.49 Buy It Now 13h 30m
Eyes to the Sun by Sparks the Rescue (CD, May-2009, ... US $8.00 Buy It Now 13h 31m
Sparks Amateur hour 7" WIP6203 VG/EX UK US $12.31 Buy It Now 13h 34m
JOOK Jook rule OK EP 7" Original 1978 UK Mod Powerpop TREVOR WHITE Sparks US $16.99 [1 bids]
Sparks Beat the clock 7" VS270 VG/EX UK US $10.48 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Sparks Get in the swing 7" WIP6236 /EX UK US $12.31 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Sparks Looks looks looks 7" WIP6249 /EX UK US $10.48 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Sparks Number one song in heaven 7" VS244 VG/EX UK US $12.31 Buy It Now 13h 34m
TOMMY SPARKS - TOMMY SPARKS - NEW CD US $14.25 Buy It Now 13h 49m
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS IN PERSON LEAD BY RANDY SPARKS-LP-NM-COLUMBIA TWO EYE US $5.99 [0 bids]
Johnny Rivers Ricky Nelson Randy Sparks E-4256 Mono LP Record Album near mint! US $10.95 [0 bids]
Graymatter by Maylay Sparks (CD, Jan-2006, Raps... US $6.50 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Ramblin Letters-Acoustic Revival-AR33004-US-Ex/NM US $24.89 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)It's Never Too Late-June Appal-JA034-US-NM/EX- US $19.91 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Sings Hank Williams-Country-759-US-Ex/NM US $24.89 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Sparks//the girl with everything//marry me//1974/1st/EX US $3.30 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Ramblin Letters-Acoustic Revival-AR33004-US-Ex/NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)Sings Hank Williams-Country-759-US-Ex/NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Larry Sparks(Vinyl LP)It's Never Too Late-June Appal-JA034-US-NM/EX- US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Sparks - Number One Song in Heaven - Blue Vinyl - UK - Shiny Cover - Minty US $10.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS 7" VINYL AMATEUR HOUR / LOST AND FOUND ISLAND WIP 6203 US $5.80 Buy It Now 15h
Pepe Deluxe - Disc II: Pipe Dreams Additional Sounds and Sparks (CD) US $11.61 Buy It Now 15h 6m
TIM SPARKS - AT THE REBBE'S TABLE - NEW CD US $10.28 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) US $3.00 [1 bids]
SPARKS-Lot of 2 vintage magazine pictures US $4.97 Buy It Now 15h 45m
SPARKS 45 Promo Record US $4.95 [0 bids]
Sparks-When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playing) 6 track Remix EP US $3.00 [0 bids]
Agent Sparks - Alternative - RED ROVER CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 16h 4m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME * [LARRY SPARKS] - NEW CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 16h 5m
MIRANDA COSGROVE CD - "SPARKS FLY" US $2.50 [0 bids]
ABSOLUTE DANCE-Sparks-20 FINGERS-Technotronic-DJ BOBO US $10.29 Buy It Now 16h 12m
JIM WILSON LP Vinyl DANIEL LANOIS Sparks MOTHER SUPERIOR Emmylou Harris ROLLINS US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 38m
THE WHO Accept No Substitute live CD Fillmore East 1969 Bog 011 Tommy sparks US $74.95 Buy It Now 16h 46m
Sparks ANGST IN MY PANTS (Atlantic) 1982 LP VG++ printed inner sleeve lyrics US $4.95 [0 bids]
Sparks-1980 magazine advert US $8.29 Buy It Now 17h 12m
Sparks-1981 magazine advert US $8.29 Buy It Now 17h 12m
RANDY SPARKS Back Porch Majority LP: WILLY NILLY WONDER OF ILLUSION VG US $12.99 Buy It Now 17h 21m
PAGAN REIGN Sparks Of Glory & Revival (CD)Pagam Metal US $13.60 Buy It Now 17h 36m
Sparks & Jane Wiedlin - Cool Places 45 RPM Record + PICTURE SLEEVE US $5.99 [0 bids]
Fiction Plane - Sparks: Limited Edition [CD New] US $12.99 Buy It Now 17h 45m
SPARKS INTRODUCING LP 1977 COLUMBIA PROMO NM w/lyric !! US $35.00 Buy It Now 17h 50m
Sparks This Town Ain't Big Enough Framed Silver Disc Record Vinyl US $83.02 Buy It Now 17h 54m
SPARKS ORIGINAL PROPAGANDA ALBUM 1974 ! US $7.99 [0 bids]
IBIZA'99 - CD TWO , sneaker pimps, the sparks, blockster, underworld US $3.73 Buy It Now 18h 8m
Sparks Fly (Deluxe), New Music US $4.03 Buy It Now 18h 10m
SPARKS - The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman - 2xLP US $51.07 Buy It Now 18h 14m
Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks 25th Anniversary CD/w Bonus Tracks UK Impor US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 21m
??? ????? Jacky Cheung Sparks Of Love, RARE original 1st print CD 1992 PolydorHK US $75.00 [0 bids]
JORDIN SPARKS S.O.S. Let the Music play RARE 2009 PROMO Radio DJ CD Single sos US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
Sparks This Town Ain't Big Enough Framed Gold Disc Record Vinyl US $116.24 Buy It Now 18h 42m
16 CDs Vast Doves Hot Heat Agent Sparks Cliks Keane Calla Mono French Kicks US $100.00 Buy It Now 18h 51m
GLEAMING SPIRES sealed Party aka Funk For Children EP/Posh Boy/SPARKS US $19.98 [0 bids]
Acid Jazz Vol.1 & 3 - 2 LP Set NEW melvin sparks funk inc eric kloss ivan jones US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 59m
Dutch 1979 SPARKS 7" 45 BEAT THE CLOCK~ with sleeve, 2 versions US $10.80 Buy It Now 19h
REGGAE 45 TREVOR SPARKS Bye Bye Happiness JAMMY$ US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 2m
CALIFORNIA U.S.A.-SPARKS-JAN & DEAN-HONDELLS-PROMO-2 LP-VINYL-FACTORY SEALED-NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 15m
GLEAMING SPIRES sealed Life Out On The Lawn EP/Posh Boy/SPARKS/45 GRAVE US $19.98 [0 bids]
Jimmie Lunceford "Last Sparks 1941-1944" Unopened Record Album MCA -1321 US $6.00 [0 bids]
New OFFICIAL MIXTAPE 2014 - Clinton Sparks - Digital-Detox US $14.99 [0 bids]
Rare SPARKS (LP) "Whomp That Sucker" (RCA) .. original 1981 .. STILL SEALED! US $12.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS 12" LA DOLCE VITA MY OTHER VOICE SUPER SOUND US $25.49 Buy It Now 19h 45m
SPARKS Propaganda CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 19h 49m
Clinton Sparks and Eminem : Anger Management 3 CD (2006) US $15.00 Buy It Now 20h 7m
SPARKS Tips For Teens b/w Don't Shoot Me 12" UK 1981 Giorgio Moroder EX/EX+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
OST Get Crazy Flippaut Ramones Sparks Lou Reed Crenshaw US $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 19m
SPARKS INDISCREET ISLAND ILPS 9345 GATEFOLD RUSSELL MAEL POP ROCK RARE ALBUM LP US $11.61 [1 bids]
SPARKS-"PRETENDING TO BE DRUNK" EXTENDED/ NEW MIX-1984 U.S. ISSUE DJ 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
Unknown Artist Chris Sparks CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 20h 48m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers ratings distribution

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Hello Young Lovers was a direct followup to the band's previous release Lil' Beethoven in every sense of the word. There is a clear continuation of the themes of the previous album and most of the compositions from these two releases are easily interchangeable with one another. This is at least what I seemed to remember of this release before giving it a new spin the other day. The music that I heard was still the same but I was surprised to realize that Hello Young Lovers was not as masterful as I remembered it to be.

Just like with Lil' Beethoven, I got introduced to this album through the live performance of the entire album at exactly the same venue as last time. The only difference this time was the fact that, unlike Lil' Beethoven, Hello Young Lovers wasn't yet released here in Sweden when the band performed these songs. I remember getting my hands on a single version of Dick Around, which had a completely different feel to it compared to the studio version, but that's pretty much all I knew about this album before entering the live venue and hearing the entire performance.

The gig was just as mesmerizing as what I heard the last time and it was easy to fall in live with these songs even before hearing their studio versions. The biggest difference that Hello Young Lovers offered was a wider range of instrumental arrangements. Best example of this can be heard in the extensive use of a distorted electric guitar, which was only prominently used on one track on Lil' Beethoven.

Most of my favorite tracks come right at the end, which is in direct contrast of how things were on Lil' Beethoven, but other than that this album is a great piece of music very much worth exploring!

***** star songs: Metaphor (4:03) Waterproof (4:17) As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At The Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

**** star songs: Dick Around (6:35) Perfume (4:59) The Very Next Fight (5:18) (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56) Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10) Here Kitty (4:26) There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#450597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars One interesting effect of the unexpected artistic and critical success of Lil' Beethoven was that, for the first time in a couple of decades, there was (relatively) serious anticipation for a new Sparks album, not just among hardcore fans but among a broader public ("broader public" needs to be properly and narrowly constrained of course). For me, the biggest point of curiosity was exactly how Sparks was going to approach this album in context of the success of Lil Beethoven. On the one hand, making an album that closely adhered to the LB formula would have been a disappointment; much of the charm of that album came from what a one-of-a-kind novelty (meant in a good way) it was, and a followup that came across as a clone wouldn't be able to provide the same kind of impact. On the other hand, if they didn't make an album that closely adhered to the LB formula, what else exactly were they going to do? They couldn't very well go back into the world of techno after the mantra of "Say goodbye to the beat" that had helped define the tone of LB, but the alternative, assuming they wouldn't make a clone of LB, was to find a distinct and new approach. And ... well ... what if LB had been a fluke, and they didn't have another batch of inspiration to dive into?

The resulting album was about as good as could have been hoped for. In relation to LB, I will say that Hello Young Lovers is nowhere near a LB clone, but it's also an album that I can't imagine Sparks being able to make if they hadn't made LB first. There are definitely some familiar features from LB on here: the vocals break out of singing into speaking (sometimes rhythmic, sometimes not) pretty frequently, there are many phrases that are incessantly repeated, and Ron frequently uses orchestral (and occasionally harpsichord) patches in his keyboard parts. Beyond these common principles, however, the albums are quite different; there's a lot more guitar here (it's actually woven into several songs, as opposed to being lightly drizzled in the background occasionally or used for shock value), and there's a genuine swing in a lot of the songs that hadn't been a regular part of Sparks albums since Indiscreet or maybe bits of Introducing Sparks. All told, this is a great sound for the band at this stage of its career, and it made it 100% clear that the band's techno days were over (after all, LB still had one foot in the past with its chamber-techno leanings).

My initial impression on hearing the opening "Dick Around" was that this was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard, one of the most ridiculous tracks I'd ever heard, or possibly both, and I've essentially settled on the "both" choice. The lyrics tell of the rise and fall and eventual rise of a corporate go-getter who loses his woman and job and eventually gets the woman back, while in the interim he just dicks around, but just describing the lyrics doesn't begin to describe the song. Multi-track faux-operatic rapid-fire Russell is in full-force, with a solo Russell only appearing occasionally (making it all the more noteworthy when he does), and the music careens from "How Do I Get to Carnegie Hall?" piano to metallic heavy rock to jazzy interludes in a way that seems preposterous on first listen but makes total sense thereafter (at least it did for me). There are too many interesting moments and lyrics in the song to give a full accounting, but I will say (a) that the first time the distorted guitars come in during the "Pull yourself up off the ground ..." verse is one of the great guilty pleasures in my life, (b) the lyrics in the "rise" part tell a pretty evocative story in not that many words, and (c) the chorus ("All I do now is dick around/When the sun goes up and the moon goes down/And the leaves are green and the leaves are brown/And all I do now is dick around") is just gobs of fun to sing when I listen to this. Plus, this track out-Queens Queen so heavily (after Sparks had more or less given birth to Queen) that it almost eliminates Queen's need to exist. The following "Perfume" is a rather fascinating up-tempo mix of piano, bass and grumbly guitars, with Russell matching a bunch of women (with the implication that these are all romantic interests from his past) with their choices of perfume, and him choosing to be with a girl who doesn't wear any perfume because she won't remind him of any of those women. So sue me, it's a ridiculous bit, but when Russell speaks, "The olefactory sense is the sense/That most strongly evokes memories of the past/Well, screw the past!" it cracks me up every time, and it's a fun diversion in the midst of a great song.

The next three tracks all have some clearly discernable weakness or another, but I still quite like all of them. "The Very Next Night" is slow, dreary, repetitive, and has almost no singing (Russell is talking through most of the song, apart from occasional sung background parts or snippets of melody here and there), but I feel like it deserves some notice for the way it depicts an angry drunk who won't take responsibility for his behavior. The lyrics describe a guy who keeps getting in fights over his woman, and who keeps offering pathetic excuses like "How can I let it go if I can't control myself?/How can I let it go if I cannot help myself?" in the context of repetition that strikes me every time as a depiction of double vision and not seeing the world clearly. Musically, it's mostly atmospheric piano, but there's a lovely and sad harpsichord bit in the middle, and the emergence of the grumbly guitars near the end always strongly suggest to me an especially bad episode coming on. It's not the most interesting track in the world, but I like it a lot more than I once did.

"(Baby Baby) Can I Invade Your Country?" was, unfortunately, the victim of some sort of weird censorship, the details of which I don't actually know, and the version that ultimately made the album feels neutered. The version that made it onto a B-side contains lyrics that are surprisingly political and pretty pointed in their silliness, but the album version removes those lyrics and replaces them with Russell reciting the first verse of "The Star-Spangled Banner" instead. Oh well, even without the better verses, the chorus is delightful, and the interaction between the guitars and the bouncy synths make the song fly by. Closing out the first half is "Rock, Rock, Rock," and while it struck me as really stupid on the first few listens (namely because the idea of Russell Mael singing "I will rock, rock, rock/Like a mother, like a mother, like a mother, like a mother" in a "Rhythm Thief" manner struck me as too silly even for Sparks), I came around to it once I made an effort to pay attention to the whole song. Basically, the song is about somebody whose significant other is threatening to leave him because he shows no passion in his life, and in his pleading to keep them from going he promises to cast away the soft musical passages of his life and to rock, rock, rock instead. There's a bit more to the song than just the lyrics and the big bombast of the music (for instance, I find the little vocal echoes from time to time intriguing), but those are ultimately the focus, and they're good enough for me.

The second half of the album is really strong, apart from the three-minute waltz-like throwaway of "There's No Such Thing as Aliens," which doesn't so much commit the crime of annoying me as it just makes almost no impression no matter how many times I hear it. "Metaphor" would be good if it only featured its marvelous hook of "Chicks, dig, dig, d-i-g, dig, dig metaphors," but it also features some fun call-and-response between Russell and other Russells, and the balance between keyboards and guitars perfect. Plus, "Use them wisely/Use them well/And you'll never know the hell of loneliness" is just such an insightful lyric. "Waterproof" is about somebody with a peculiar dual immunity to getting wet from rain and also from being swayed by tears, and the song's build from a playful duet between a solo Russell and Ron into an anthemic army of Russells over Ron's keyboards and guitars is a joy to behold. Plus it has those jazzy breaks of Russell semi-singing "The skies are starting to cloud up/But that won't slow me down ..." between the various iterations of the great verse and chorus melodies, and silly lines like "Completely dry/Dry as a Navajo in August ..." and "I see you crying but I'm not buying your Meryl Streep mimicry ..." scattered throughout. And "Here Kitty," while it probably would have been done in a way that would have annoyed me to death had it been written during the LB sessions, ends up as a great exercise in layering different Russell vocal lines on top of each other, and this is a track that I'd love to hear done by a college glee club or something along those lines.

The album concludes with "As I Sit Down to Play the Organ at the Notre Dame Cathedral," which is easily one of the longest and most intricate tracks in the Sparks catalogue. The song starts with about 90 seconds of different variations on the phrase "Bye bye bye my baby/Now it's time time time for me to go to/Work work Work/So you might want to work your way from here" over guitars and keyboards with odd tones, before moving into a song centered around a nagging upwards organ lick over which Russell sings lyrics devoted to a fascinating premise. Basically, the organist (a) is irritated that the bulk of his audience cares more about God than about his performance, and (b) is totally trying to use his organ playing to pick up girls, targeting those who are inside to get out of the rain more than for any religious purpose. The music is full of "Hallelujah!" chants and sung "La, la ..." parts to that upwards organ lick (the use of the repeated "I believe!" bits sandwiched around the "La, la" parts during a part of the song that is the organist getting lucky amuses me to no end) and lots of entertaining bombast that all make this into a great ending.

In the end, I can't really figure out whether I like this album more or less than LB, but the difference either way would only be the tiniest bit, so it doesn't really matter. There are definitely enough small things (I didn't really emphasize the repetition much in this review, but there are small moments where repeated bits get on my nerves) to keep this from a higher grade, but regardless of exact grade, this album firmly established the Sparks comeback as legitimate, and this makes the album an important inclusion to a Sparks collection. Or, for that matter, a rock rock rock collection.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1197276) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Hello Young Lovers"