HELLO YOUNG LOVERS

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Dick Around (6:35)
2. Perfume (4:59)
3. The Very Next Fight (5:18)
4. (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56)
5. Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10)
6. Metaphor (4:03)
7. Waterproof (4:17)
8. Here Kitty (4:26)
9. There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)
10. As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At the Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers lyrics

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers tabs

- Ron Mael / keyboards and orchestrations
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Tammy Glover / drums
- Dean Menta / guitar
- Jim Wilson / guitar
- Steve McDonald / bass

Thanks to questionsneverknown for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Hello Young Lovers Music

Best ofBest of
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2000
Pulling Rabbits Out of a HatPulling Rabbits Out of a Hat
Remastered · Import
Repertoire 2013
New Music for Amnesiacs: Essential CollectionNew Music for Amnesiacs: Essential Collection
Lil Beethoven UK 2013
Left Coast AngstLeft Coast Angst
Imports 2014
Sparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in StockholmSparks - Lil' Beethoven / Live in Stockholm
Multiple Formats
Standing Room Only 2005
DVD$19.95
Cosgrove,Miranda - Sparks Fly [CD New] US $9.88 Buy It Now 53m 14s
DJ SPARKS-HOT LAVA EP-1993-HARDCORE / RAVE US $17.73 Buy It Now 56m 50s
Sparks - Kimono My House NEW CD US $8.30 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Sparks,Jordin - Jordin Sparks [CD New] US $6.85 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Sparks,Mark - Flute Recital [CD New] US $15.48 Buy It Now 1h 59m
SPARKS SO IMPORTANT- RARE 12" MIX UK PRESS 1988 P/S EXC US $16.89 Buy It Now 2h 2m
AJ SPARKS & CREW - Working On Love - 7" US $17.31 Buy It Now 2h 5m
VARIOUS-DANIELLE & ROCHELLE VS DJ SPARKS-1992-OLDSKOOL TECHNO-BREAKBEAT HARDCORE US $10.53 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Catherine Wheel - Sparks Are Gonna Fly 7 track Ep - US DJ CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Randy Sparks Presents THE BACK PORCH MAJORITY -Live from Ledbetter's - PRomo US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Revolver Records Sampler CD Autumn 06 Akron Family Jay Reatard Beirut Sparks NEW US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
When Sparks Fly,CD,Why Bother Waiting US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 31m
TREVOR SPARKS & BOBO GENERAL - Make Up You Mind ~ 12" Single US $15.20 [0 bids]
I'm a Gittar Player by Melvin Sparks (CD, Jun-1997, Cannonball Records) Jazz US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jordin Sparks cd US $3.25 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Sparks Cool Jane Wiedlin Japan Promo White Label Vinyl 7 inch Single 7" Go-Go's US $64.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
HOWARD JONES "REVOLUTION OF THE HEART" KOCH BRONNIMANN BOULT SPARKS CD ALBUM US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
SPARKS " AMATEUR HOUR " EX COND. US $3.19 Buy It Now 5h 6m
SPARKS 'BIG BEAT' RECORD LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Sparks-Profile: The Ultimate Sparks Collection [CASSETTE] CD Import Good US $5.49 Buy It Now 5h 38m
TELEX Saudi Arabia 747 Cassette 8266 sparks SYNTHPOP silicon teens ELECTRONIC US $6.00 [0 bids]
Omillio Sparks- This Is The Life - CD Single SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Jordin Sparks & The Script Professional Backing Track Cd US $6.74 Buy It Now 6h 42m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS - Desert Skies LP - SUPER DELUXE LTD Starburst Vinyl LTD of 400 US $30.00 Buy It Now 6h 53m
THE FOUR BRIGHT SPARKS House That Jack Built COLUMBIA 5674 78 RPM / E US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 56m
SPARKS " GET IN THE SWING " ISLAND RECORDS 7" SINGLE 1975 EXCELLENT US $4.21 Buy It Now 6h 56m
SPARKS " NEVER TURN YOU BACK ON MOTHER EARTH " ISLAND RECORDS 7" SINGLE 1974 US $4.21 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Sparks - Indiscreet NEW CD US $8.30 Buy It Now 7h
(P4)*SPARKS Beat the Clock UK 7" 45 single Excellent US $6.68 Buy It Now 7h 57m
SPARKS: This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us ~ UK ISLAND 45 ~ WIP6193 US $8.43 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Sparks - Music That You Can Dance To (NEW CD) US $13.93 Buy It Now 8h 34m
JORDIN SPARKS Battlefield 2 BONUS TRX DELUXE SEALED CD & BONUS DVD Behind Scenes US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 39m
SATURDAY SCENE LP 1974 Sally James SPARKS THE SWEET DAVID CASSIDY ALVIN STARDUST US $5.05 [0 bids]
Clinton Sparks & Kanye West - Touch the Sky (CD) US $2.86 Buy It Now 8h 50m
Editors - all sparks cd single US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Sparks-I Wish I Looked a Little Better (VG+) Promo US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Jordin Sparks Jordin Sparks with Exclusive Bonus Track CD US $4.02 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Jordin Sparks Tattoo Remixes 12" US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Not So Merry [CD & DVD] by Agent Sparks NEW! US $2.21 Buy It Now 9h 18m
SPARKS RARE UK 45 RON RUSSEL MAEL GET IN THE SWING UK 7 US $25.50 Buy It Now 9h 23m
RAZZY BAILEY SPARKS INCL. THE MORNING RAIN & QUARTER TO THREE VINYL LP US $6.74 Buy It Now 9h 29m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks CD 2008 BRAND NEW ALBUM US $9.21 Buy It Now 9h 41m
ORBITAL ONE PERFECT SUNRISE PAUL HARTNOLL LISA GERRARD DEAD CAN DANCE SPARKS CD US $59.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Sparks. Rare White Label Promo LP US $13.00 [1 bids]
LARRY SPARKS Gonna Be Movin' TEST PRESSING lp Rebel Records 1644 US $42.23 Buy It Now 9h 54m
LARRY SPARKS Gonna Be Movin' TEST PRESSING lp Rebel Records 1644.2 US $42.23 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Love Huskies , Audio CD, Sparks Street US $7.45 Buy It Now 9h 58m
LARRY SPARKS Gonna Be Movin' 3 Track Acetate lp Rebel Records 1644 US $55.55 Buy It Now 10h 2m
BEACHWOOD SPARKS Tarnished Gold CASSETTE Tape BRIAN JONESTOWN crowes TYDE psych US $8.00 [0 bids]
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe NEW CD US $20.02 Buy It Now 10h 21m
? Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat (timing strip) US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 32m
SPARKS In Outer Space Orig 1983 Vinyl LP EX w/Lyric Sleeve Allen Zentz US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Graham Parker & the Rumour Squeezing Out Sparks rare LP great condition US $10.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS Kimono My House +inner sleeve ISLAND 1974 FREE UK POST US $26.37 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Jordin Sparks (CD 2007) 13 Songs US $8.49 Buy It Now 11h 26m
ALAMALIBU - THROUGH THE SPARKS-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks Exotic Creatures Of CD NEW (UK Import) US $16.36 Buy It Now 11h 33m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH RARE YUGO PRESS 7"PS US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin-Cool Places (PS) MINT US $8.00 Buy It Now 13h 6m
Clinton Sparks presents D-BLOCK TAKE EVERYTHING/LIL' KIM/FREEWAY 12" OG PROMO US $3.99 [0 bids]
Left Coast Angst by Sparks [Import] CD (2014) Brand New Ships Worldwide US $38.99 Buy It Now 13h 27m
SPARKS SPARKS CD US $6.45 Buy It Now 13h 28m
SPARKS Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth 7" B/W Alabamy Right, Wip 6211 US $8.43 Buy It Now 13h 37m
SPARKS Something For The Girl With Everything 7" B/W Marry Me, Wip.6221 (Vinyl US $8.43 Buy It Now 13h 37m
SPARKS Tryouts For The Human Race 7" Ps, B/W Tryouts For The Human Race-Long Ve US $8.43 Buy It Now 13h 37m
SPARKS When I'M With You 7" Ps, German Issue, B/W Instrumental, 101 230 - 100 ( US $8.43 Buy It Now 13h 37m
SPARKS Young Girls 7" Ps US $10.12 Buy It Now 13h 38m
Jordin Sparks by Jordin Sparks (CD, Nov-2007, 19/Jive Recordings) US $1.50 [0 bids]
Sparks - Mael Intuition - The Best Of Sparks 1974 CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 13h 38m
Sparks : In the Swing CD (1993) US $5.74 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Sparks - Indiscreet NEW CD US $10.57 Buy It Now 14h
Sparks: When I'm With You / (Instrumental) 7" 45 NM UK Virgin CS319 US $5.99 Buy It Now 14h
Omillio Sparks : Pay Back CD (2007) US $3.25 Buy It Now 14h 7m
TREVOR SPARKS - GIRL ARE YOU READY / JR VIBES - HUSTLING / DIGITAL ENLGISH 1990S US $2.98 [1 bids]
Miranda Cosgrove - Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Apr-2010, Columbia (USA) US $2.99 [0 bids]
(BB233) Tommy Sparks, Miracle - DJ CD US $4.65 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Breanne Duren Sparks EP CD US $15.00 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Squeezing Out Sparks [Squeezing out Sparks + Live Sparks] by Graham Parker... US $4.89 Buy It Now 14h 39m
Al Sparks [8-Track] I Heard It At The Barber Shop *Girlie Cover* (Comedy) *1972* US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 9m
Black Rain OST LP, Iggy Pop.Gregg Allman.UB40.Rita Mitsuoko, Sparks US $6.99 [0 bids]
BLITZ 1981 WHITE LABEL PROMO COMPILATION LP BOW WOW WOW SPARKS NEW WAVE NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 39m
SPARKS ANGST IN MY PANTS ATLANTIC RECORDS W/ORIG INNER SLEEVE NO BAR CODE US $0.99 [0 bids]
Sparks "Sparks/A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing" Remastered CD Best Price on Ebay US $15.99 Buy It Now 16h 45m
Sparks - The Music of Sparks - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $31.17 Buy It Now 16h 47m
Rock Promo 45 RANDY SPARKS My One And Only Love on Columbia (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 17h 44m
ULTIMIX 142 CD JONAS BROTHERS TING TINGS JORDIN SPARKS US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
FUNKYMIX 116 LP JORDAN SPARKS LIL MAMA NELLY WAYNE NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 46m
AUTOGRAPHED Melvin Sparks "It Is What It Is" CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
MINT Import Graham Parker & Rumour SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS US $20.00 Buy It Now 20h 22m
Sparks - Big Beat (1994) CD (1976) US $13.51 Buy It Now 20h 26m
Sparks - No. 1 in Heaven CD (1999) (1979) US $13.51 Buy It Now 20h 26m
SPARKS Big Beat JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +6 US $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 58m
SPARKS Terminal Jive JAPAN LTD MINI LP SHM-CD SEALED +3 US $29.99 Buy It Now 20h 59m
SPARKS GO GO Jingle-Jangle CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 21h 17m
Agent Sparks : Not So Merry: +DVD (2CDs) (2006) US $3.93 Buy It Now 21h 57m
Chrysler : Failures & Sparks CD (2010) US $6.68 Buy It Now 21h 57m
SPARKS A WOOFER IN TWEETER'S CLOTHING WEST GERMANY CD JAPAN EDIT 2800yen MSIF US $29.99 Buy It Now 22h
Photoglo,Jim - Sparks In The Radio [CD New] US $15.49 Buy It Now 22h 8m
Sparks - Terminal Jive [CD New] US $12.18 Buy It Now 22h 11m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers ratings distribution

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Hello Young Lovers was a direct followup to the band's previous release Lil' Beethoven in every sense of the word. There is a clear continuation of the themes of the previous album and most of the compositions from these two releases are easily interchangeable with one another. This is at least what I seemed to remember of this release before giving it a new spin the other day. The music that I heard was still the same but I was surprised to realize that Hello Young Lovers was not as masterful as I remembered it to be.

Just like with Lil' Beethoven, I got introduced to this album through the live performance of the entire album at exactly the same venue as last time. The only difference this time was the fact that, unlike Lil' Beethoven, Hello Young Lovers wasn't yet released here in Sweden when the band performed these songs. I remember getting my hands on a single version of Dick Around, which had a completely different feel to it compared to the studio version, but that's pretty much all I knew about this album before entering the live venue and hearing the entire performance.

The gig was just as mesmerizing as what I heard the last time and it was easy to fall in live with these songs even before hearing their studio versions. The biggest difference that Hello Young Lovers offered was a wider range of instrumental arrangements. Best example of this can be heard in the extensive use of a distorted electric guitar, which was only prominently used on one track on Lil' Beethoven.

Most of my favorite tracks come right at the end, which is in direct contrast of how things were on Lil' Beethoven, but other than that this album is a great piece of music very much worth exploring!

***** star songs: Metaphor (4:03) Waterproof (4:17) As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At The Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

**** star songs: Dick Around (6:35) Perfume (4:59) The Very Next Fight (5:18) (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56) Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10) Here Kitty (4:26) There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#450597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars One interesting effect of the unexpected artistic and critical success of Lil' Beethoven was that, for the first time in a couple of decades, there was (relatively) serious anticipation for a new Sparks album, not just among hardcore fans but among a broader public ("broader public" needs to be properly and narrowly constrained of course). For me, the biggest point of curiosity was exactly how Sparks was going to approach this album in context of the success of Lil Beethoven. On the one hand, making an album that closely adhered to the LB formula would have been a disappointment; much of the charm of that album came from what a one-of-a-kind novelty (meant in a good way) it was, and a followup that came across as a clone wouldn't be able to provide the same kind of impact. On the other hand, if they didn't make an album that closely adhered to the LB formula, what else exactly were they going to do? They couldn't very well go back into the world of techno after the mantra of "Say goodbye to the beat" that had helped define the tone of LB, but the alternative, assuming they wouldn't make a clone of LB, was to find a distinct and new approach. And ... well ... what if LB had been a fluke, and they didn't have another batch of inspiration to dive into?

The resulting album was about as good as could have been hoped for. In relation to LB, I will say that Hello Young Lovers is nowhere near a LB clone, but it's also an album that I can't imagine Sparks being able to make if they hadn't made LB first. There are definitely some familiar features from LB on here: the vocals break out of singing into speaking (sometimes rhythmic, sometimes not) pretty frequently, there are many phrases that are incessantly repeated, and Ron frequently uses orchestral (and occasionally harpsichord) patches in his keyboard parts. Beyond these common principles, however, the albums are quite different; there's a lot more guitar here (it's actually woven into several songs, as opposed to being lightly drizzled in the background occasionally or used for shock value), and there's a genuine swing in a lot of the songs that hadn't been a regular part of Sparks albums since Indiscreet or maybe bits of Introducing Sparks. All told, this is a great sound for the band at this stage of its career, and it made it 100% clear that the band's techno days were over (after all, LB still had one foot in the past with its chamber-techno leanings).

My initial impression on hearing the opening "Dick Around" was that this was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard, one of the most ridiculous tracks I'd ever heard, or possibly both, and I've essentially settled on the "both" choice. The lyrics tell of the rise and fall and eventual rise of a corporate go-getter who loses his woman and job and eventually gets the woman back, while in the interim he just dicks around, but just describing the lyrics doesn't begin to describe the song. Multi-track faux-operatic rapid-fire Russell is in full-force, with a solo Russell only appearing occasionally (making it all the more noteworthy when he does), and the music careens from "How Do I Get to Carnegie Hall?" piano to metallic heavy rock to jazzy interludes in a way that seems preposterous on first listen but makes total sense thereafter (at least it did for me). There are too many interesting moments and lyrics in the song to give a full accounting, but I will say (a) that the first time the distorted guitars come in during the "Pull yourself up off the ground ..." verse is one of the great guilty pleasures in my life, (b) the lyrics in the "rise" part tell a pretty evocative story in not that many words, and (c) the chorus ("All I do now is dick around/When the sun goes up and the moon goes down/And the leaves are green and the leaves are brown/And all I do now is dick around") is just gobs of fun to sing when I listen to this. Plus, this track out-Queens Queen so heavily (after Sparks had more or less given birth to Queen) that it almost eliminates Queen's need to exist. The following "Perfume" is a rather fascinating up-tempo mix of piano, bass and grumbly guitars, with Russell matching a bunch of women (with the implication that these are all romantic interests from his past) with their choices of perfume, and him choosing to be with a girl who doesn't wear any perfume because she won't remind him of any of those women. So sue me, it's a ridiculous bit, but when Russell speaks, "The olefactory sense is the sense/That most strongly evokes memories of the past/Well, screw the past!" it cracks me up every time, and it's a fun diversion in the midst of a great song.

The next three tracks all have some clearly discernable weakness or another, but I still quite like all of them. "The Very Next Night" is slow, dreary, repetitive, and has almost no singing (Russell is talking through most of the song, apart from occasional sung background parts or snippets of melody here and there), but I feel like it deserves some notice for the way it depicts an angry drunk who won't take responsibility for his behavior. The lyrics describe a guy who keeps getting in fights over his woman, and who keeps offering pathetic excuses like "How can I let it go if I can't control myself?/How can I let it go if I cannot help myself?" in the context of repetition that strikes me every time as a depiction of double vision and not seeing the world clearly. Musically, it's mostly atmospheric piano, but there's a lovely and sad harpsichord bit in the middle, and the emergence of the grumbly guitars near the end always strongly suggest to me an especially bad episode coming on. It's not the most interesting track in the world, but I like it a lot more than I once did.

"(Baby Baby) Can I Invade Your Country?" was, unfortunately, the victim of some sort of weird censorship, the details of which I don't actually know, and the version that ultimately made the album feels neutered. The version that made it onto a B-side contains lyrics that are surprisingly political and pretty pointed in their silliness, but the album version removes those lyrics and replaces them with Russell reciting the first verse of "The Star-Spangled Banner" instead. Oh well, even without the better verses, the chorus is delightful, and the interaction between the guitars and the bouncy synths make the song fly by. Closing out the first half is "Rock, Rock, Rock," and while it struck me as really stupid on the first few listens (namely because the idea of Russell Mael singing "I will rock, rock, rock/Like a mother, like a mother, like a mother, like a mother" in a "Rhythm Thief" manner struck me as too silly even for Sparks), I came around to it once I made an effort to pay attention to the whole song. Basically, the song is about somebody whose significant other is threatening to leave him because he shows no passion in his life, and in his pleading to keep them from going he promises to cast away the soft musical passages of his life and to rock, rock, rock instead. There's a bit more to the song than just the lyrics and the big bombast of the music (for instance, I find the little vocal echoes from time to time intriguing), but those are ultimately the focus, and they're good enough for me.

The second half of the album is really strong, apart from the three-minute waltz-like throwaway of "There's No Such Thing as Aliens," which doesn't so much commit the crime of annoying me as it just makes almost no impression no matter how many times I hear it. "Metaphor" would be good if it only featured its marvelous hook of "Chicks, dig, dig, d-i-g, dig, dig metaphors," but it also features some fun call-and-response between Russell and other Russells, and the balance between keyboards and guitars perfect. Plus, "Use them wisely/Use them well/And you'll never know the hell of loneliness" is just such an insightful lyric. "Waterproof" is about somebody with a peculiar dual immunity to getting wet from rain and also from being swayed by tears, and the song's build from a playful duet between a solo Russell and Ron into an anthemic army of Russells over Ron's keyboards and guitars is a joy to behold. Plus it has those jazzy breaks of Russell semi-singing "The skies are starting to cloud up/But that won't slow me down ..." between the various iterations of the great verse and chorus melodies, and silly lines like "Completely dry/Dry as a Navajo in August ..." and "I see you crying but I'm not buying your Meryl Streep mimicry ..." scattered throughout. And "Here Kitty," while it probably would have been done in a way that would have annoyed me to death had it been written during the LB sessions, ends up as a great exercise in layering different Russell vocal lines on top of each other, and this is a track that I'd love to hear done by a college glee club or something along those lines.

The album concludes with "As I Sit Down to Play the Organ at the Notre Dame Cathedral," which is easily one of the longest and most intricate tracks in the Sparks catalogue. The song starts with about 90 seconds of different variations on the phrase "Bye bye bye my baby/Now it's time time time for me to go to/Work work Work/So you might want to work your way from here" over guitars and keyboards with odd tones, before moving into a song centered around a nagging upwards organ lick over which Russell sings lyrics devoted to a fascinating premise. Basically, the organist (a) is irritated that the bulk of his audience cares more about God than about his performance, and (b) is totally trying to use his organ playing to pick up girls, targeting those who are inside to get out of the rain more than for any religious purpose. The music is full of "Hallelujah!" chants and sung "La, la ..." parts to that upwards organ lick (the use of the repeated "I believe!" bits sandwiched around the "La, la" parts during a part of the song that is the organist getting lucky amuses me to no end) and lots of entertaining bombast that all make this into a great ending.

In the end, I can't really figure out whether I like this album more or less than LB, but the difference either way would only be the tiniest bit, so it doesn't really matter. There are definitely enough small things (I didn't really emphasize the repetition much in this review, but there are small moments where repeated bits get on my nerves) to keep this from a higher grade, but regardless of exact grade, this album firmly established the Sparks comeback as legitimate, and this makes the album an important inclusion to a Sparks collection. Or, for that matter, a rock rock rock collection.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1197276) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Hello Young Lovers"