HELLO YOUNG LOVERS

Buy SPARKS Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Dick Around (6:35)
2. Perfume (4:59)
3. The Very Next Fight (5:18)
4. (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56)
5. Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10)
6. Metaphor (4:03)
7. Waterproof (4:17)
8. Here Kitty (4:26)
9. There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)
10. As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At the Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers lyrics

Search SPARKS Hello Young Lovers tabs

- Ron Mael / keyboards and orchestrations
- Russell Mael / vocals
- Tammy Glover / drums
- Dean Menta / guitar
- Jim Wilson / guitar
- Steve McDonald / bass

Thanks to questionsneverknown for the addition

SPARKS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SPARKS Hello Young Lovers Music

Big BeatBig Beat
Extra tracks · Import · Remastered
Fontana Island 2006
SPARKS UK 1987 12" Single ROSEBUD US $4.69 Buy It Now 1h
Funny Face Sparks UK 7" vinyl single record WHY4 WHY 1981 US $18.69 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Danielle & Rochelle vs DJ Sparks 12" Amass 1992 US $25.58 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Jeroen & Michel - Foundation 75 / Blazed (By Sparks of Hope) 12" - Search - Old US $5.67 [0 bids]
JONI MITCHELL court and & sparks LP EX original embossed cover 1974 crosby nash US $9.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS - NUMBER 1 SONG IN HEAVEN - VIRGIN 7" US $5.10 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Sparks The Lowry concert ticket UK CONCERT TICKET 2006 US $10.07 Buy It Now 1h 28m
All Sparks Editors 2-CD single (Double CD single) UK SKCD84/842 KITCHENWARE US $18.16 Buy It Now 1h 29m
SPARKS---INTRODUCING US $7.00 [0 bids]
Sparks SHORTCUTS 7 Inch Mixes 1979-84 REPERTOIRE 29 Track NEW SEALED 2 CD US $12.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS---INDISCREET US $7.00 [0 bids]
Sparks Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth - P/S 7" vinyl single record UK US $19.54 Buy It Now 1h 42m
SPARKS - EXOTIC CREATURES OF THE DEEP CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Sparks Young Girls 7" vinyl single record UK VS343 VIRGIN 1980 US $17.82 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Sparks - No.1 In Heaven - Extended (NEW CD) US $19.18 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Sparks Best Of Music You Can Dance To Cd Curb US $8.80 [0 bids]
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $9.86 Buy It Now 2h 36m
LOU & MAXINE - LITTLE DONKEY / LOU SPARKS - HOPE AND JOY US $3.99 [0 bids]
Barrington Levy & Frankie Paul - Back To Back CD NEW - Cutty Ranks Trevor Sparks US $0.99 [1 bids]
Sparks of Rhythm Meet Vocaltones - 33 RPM 12" LP - Apollo 1001 - R US $11.00 [0 bids]
Sparks 7 All You Ever Think About is Sex / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Sparks m- promo 7 Wonder Girl / Mr Nice Guy US $9.75 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Sparks EP - Near Perfect US $11.35 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Minton Sparks/Sin Sick/2005 CD Album US $13.63 Buy It Now 3h 27m
THROUGH THE SPARKS - LAZARUS BEACH (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.58 Buy It Now 3h 32m
NM 12"~SPARKS~Music You Can Dance To~[2:30]~Long~{4:22]~Club Version~[6:@22]~'86 US $3.97 Buy It Now 3h 36m
SPARKS - KIMONO MY HOUSE TURKISH PRESSING MEGA RARE US $160.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
SIXTEEN DELUXE emits showers of sparks LP Record SEALED 1998 US $24.98 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Big Change by Slave to the Squarewave (CD, Oct-2007, Sparks Music) SEALED US $4.99 [0 bids]
SPARKS " KIMONO MY HOUSE "SUPER UK PINK RIM ISLAND LP WITH LYRIC INNER US $6.81 [0 bids]
Orbiter - Sparks On A String USA Shipping Included US $3.97 Buy It Now 4h 42m
CORNERSTONE MIXTAPE - 46 - CLINTON SPARKS, EVIL DEE UNPLAYED MINT 3-CD US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
The Lovely Feathers - Fantasy Of The Lot - CD (SK2015 2009 Sparks) US $9.36 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Halfnelson - S/T JAPAN 1st press CD Sparks Todd Rundgren VDP-28044 US $15.00 [0 bids]
Sparks / Modesty Plays 45 Single 12" French Release US $5.00 [0 bids]
HEAR IT COUNTRY Boudleaux Bryant and the Sparks Hickory US $10.80 Buy It Now 5h 38m
(CU245) Pati Yang, Wires And Sparks - 2012 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 5h 41m
SPARKS - I Predict 45 US store Atlantic US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Sparks Sports Cool Places Atlantic89866 R VG PS EX (45-7561) US $3.57 Buy It Now 5h 50m
TRAFFIC ISRAELI UNIQUE COVER LOW SPARKS 1st ORANGE ISLAND UK Prog Rock US $80.00 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Modern Soul / Funk - Elektrikk Sparks Feat The Baby Sylons - Three Sixty Slam US $14.75 [0 bids]
6h
JIMMIE LUNCEFORD THE LAST SPARKS 1941 1944 HEAR IT US $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
SPARKS PULLING RABBITS OUT OF A HATL TEST PRESSING LP RECORD US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
YELLOW RED SPARKS Four Steps In Corsets 4tk US PROMO cd w/Live Track US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
(CG441) Christopher Rees, Sparks Flying - 2011 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 6h 29m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BEAT THE CLOCK - SPARKS - VS270 US $11.93 Buy It Now 6h 33m
SPARKS Modesty Plays long/short French Picture sleeve US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 52m
(DE352) Sea Fruit, Looking for Sparks - 1999 DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Jordin Sparks, Sparks, Jordin, Good Import US $2.37 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Clinton Sparks presents D-BLOCK TAKE EVERYTHING/LIL' KIM/FREEWAY 12" OG PROMO US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE NEW CHRISTY MINSTRELS - RAMBLIN, DIRECTION OF RANDY SPARKS; VERY GOOD+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
GLEAMING SPIRES Walk on Well Lighted Streets PVC LP Advance Copy SPARKS New Wave US $15.00 Buy It Now 8h 28m
SPARKS - NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH , PORTUGAL 7'' GLAM PSYCH US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Sparks I Predict Club Mix 12 Inch Vinyl US $4.75 Buy It Now 8h 49m
LIVEWIREZ TAKIN' IT TO THE STREETS MARLIN MYERS, SPARKS , WRECKA SEALED 12'' US $2.00 [0 bids]
SPARKS: Run Run Run (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
SPARKS: Run Run Run / Danny Boy (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Sparks-Pulling Rabbits Out Of A HAT-orig. press PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!!w/sleeve! US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
TORI SPARKS - SCORPION IN THE SKY NEW CD US $18.58 Buy It Now 9h 51m
Farmer Dave Scher Flash Forward To The Good Times LP New Mint Beachwood Sparks US $18.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Squeezing Out Sparks [Squeezing out Sparks + Live Sparks] by Graham Parker... US $1.99 [0 bids]
Sparks and Jane Wiedlin 45 rpm Cool Places & Sports Picture Sleeve Atlantic 1983 US $7.99 [0 bids]
TORI SPARKS - UNTIL MORNING / COME OUT OF THE DARK NEW CD US $22.42 Buy It Now 10h
Graham Parker & the Rumour Squeezing Out Sparks rare LP great condition US $10.99 [0 bids]
MELVIN SPARKS - THIS IS IT NEW CD US $22.81 Buy It Now 10h 14m
LARRY SPARKS - ALMOST HOME NEW CD US $20.11 Buy It Now 10h 19m
SPARKS: KIMONO MY HOUSE 2006 REMASTERED CD INC 3 BONUS TRACKS / NEW US $8.11 Buy It Now 10h 22m
SPARKS Kimono My House VERY Rare 1974 1st issue Island 8-TR STILL SEALED! US $34.95 [0 bids]
SPARKS - HELLO YOUNG LOVERS NEW CD US $22.04 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Sparks Fly by Miranda Cosgrove (CD, Jan-2000, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
MIRANDA COSGROVE - SPARKS FLY (IMPORT) NEW CD US $15.91 Buy It Now 10h 32m
JORDIN SPARKS - BATTLEFIELD NEW CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 10h 33m
MELVIN SPARKS - GROOVE ON UP NEW CD US $22.81 Buy It Now 10h 44m
This Dress ~ Minton Sparks CD US $7.95 [0 bids]
SPARKS - TERMINAL JIVE - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $22.04 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Rare Vocal Group Autographed 45 Four Sparks ~ Key To My Heart ~ Cleff Tone 1001 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Melvin Sparks - Sparkling - LP ('82 MR 5248) US $30.00 [0 bids]
SAD AMONG STRANGERS "Sparks Fly Upwards" UK 7" 45 Vinyl Single 1980 US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Battlefield by Jordin Sparks (CD, Jul-2009, Jive (USA)) Brand New Sealed CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 21m
JAZZ COMP: .AIN'T IT FUNKY NOW 2LP, Feat. Melvin Sparks, Gene Ammons, Charles Ky US $32.25 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Now That I Own The BBC by Sparks-1994,Dance/House Import CD - Brand New US $12.99 Buy It Now 12h 45m
Jordin Sparks - Jordin Sparks Japan Edition CD B3 US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 51m
MELVIN SPARKS LP, Sparkling (MUSE US Issue NM/NM) US $27.13 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Loud Earth, Sparks Audio CD US $7.58 Buy It Now 12h 54m
JAZZ COMP: MOJO CLUB VOL 13 2LP, Feat. Melvin Sparks, Joe Bataan, Don Ellis, Tob US $39.08 Buy It Now 13h 35m
Sparks, Clinton - Touch the Sky - CD [NSS] US $3.09 Buy It Now 14h 7m
Jordin Sparks / self titled Jordin Sparks (LIKE NEW 14 track CD) Steve Lipson !! US $2.99 Buy It Now 15h 24m
SPARKS Kimono My House ISRAEL VINYL Island Sky Label LP US $22.99 Buy It Now 16h 32m
Sparks - Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe (NEW 2CD) US $21.74 Buy It Now 16h 51m
Sparks Indiscreet 1993 first press Japan Sample CD SEALED! US $25.99 Buy It Now 17h 10m
Through The Sparks - Lazarus Beach CD US $15.40 Buy It Now 17h 11m
Worst Thing I've Been Cursed With, Sparks the Rescue, New US $9.09 Buy It Now 17h 20m
CD SPARKS/ Mael Bros 1968 Demo Lp - PARDON MY FRENCH US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
SPARKS propaganda LP 11 track pink rim label design with inner in title stickere US $15.32 Buy It Now 18h 11m
Sparks - Exotic Creatures Of The Deep [CD New] US $13.22 Buy It Now 18h 12m
Sparks - Big Beat CD ALBUM NEW / MINT US $10.22 Buy It Now 18h 13m
Sparks Kimono My House CD ALBUM NEW/MINT US $10.22 Buy It Now 18h 25m
Sparks The Rescue - Eyes To The Sun (2009) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 19h 50m
AGENT SPARKS - RED ROVER (CD) (REF E1) US $6.81 Buy It Now 19h 54m
SPARKS BIG BEAT '76 Columbia Records Demo Promo Russell Mael Rock Glam Big Boy US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 55m

More places to buy SPARKS music online Buy SPARKS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SPARKS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers ratings distribution

SPARKS Hello Young Lovers reviews

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Hello Young Lovers was a direct followup to the band's previous release Lil' Beethoven in every sense of the word. There is a clear continuation of the themes of the previous album and most of the compositions from these two releases are easily interchangeable with one another. This is at least what I seemed to remember of this release before giving it a new spin the other day. The music that I heard was still the same but I was surprised to realize that Hello Young Lovers was not as masterful as I remembered it to be.

Just like with Lil' Beethoven, I got introduced to this album through the live performance of the entire album at exactly the same venue as last time. The only difference this time was the fact that, unlike Lil' Beethoven, Hello Young Lovers wasn't yet released here in Sweden when the band performed these songs. I remember getting my hands on a single version of Dick Around, which had a completely different feel to it compared to the studio version, but that's pretty much all I knew about this album before entering the live venue and hearing the entire performance.

The gig was just as mesmerizing as what I heard the last time and it was easy to fall in live with these songs even before hearing their studio versions. The biggest difference that Hello Young Lovers offered was a wider range of instrumental arrangements. Best example of this can be heard in the extensive use of a distorted electric guitar, which was only prominently used on one track on Lil' Beethoven.

Most of my favorite tracks come right at the end, which is in direct contrast of how things were on Lil' Beethoven, but other than that this album is a great piece of music very much worth exploring!

***** star songs: Metaphor (4:03) Waterproof (4:17) As I Sit Down To Play The Organ At The Notre Dame Cathedral (7:02)

**** star songs: Dick Around (6:35) Perfume (4:59) The Very Next Fight (5:18) (Baby, Baby) Can I Invade Your Country (5:56) Rock, Rock, Rock (5:10) Here Kitty (4:26) There's No Such Thing As Aliens (2:53)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#450597) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars One interesting effect of the unexpected artistic and critical success of Lil' Beethoven was that, for the first time in a couple of decades, there was (relatively) serious anticipation for a new Sparks album, not just among hardcore fans but among a broader public ("broader public" needs to be properly and narrowly constrained of course). For me, the biggest point of curiosity was exactly how Sparks was going to approach this album in context of the success of Lil Beethoven. On the one hand, making an album that closely adhered to the LB formula would have been a disappointment; much of the charm of that album came from what a one-of-a-kind novelty (meant in a good way) it was, and a followup that came across as a clone wouldn't be able to provide the same kind of impact. On the other hand, if they didn't make an album that closely adhered to the LB formula, what else exactly were they going to do? They couldn't very well go back into the world of techno after the mantra of "Say goodbye to the beat" that had helped define the tone of LB, but the alternative, assuming they wouldn't make a clone of LB, was to find a distinct and new approach. And ... well ... what if LB had been a fluke, and they didn't have another batch of inspiration to dive into?

The resulting album was about as good as could have been hoped for. In relation to LB, I will say that Hello Young Lovers is nowhere near a LB clone, but it's also an album that I can't imagine Sparks being able to make if they hadn't made LB first. There are definitely some familiar features from LB on here: the vocals break out of singing into speaking (sometimes rhythmic, sometimes not) pretty frequently, there are many phrases that are incessantly repeated, and Ron frequently uses orchestral (and occasionally harpsichord) patches in his keyboard parts. Beyond these common principles, however, the albums are quite different; there's a lot more guitar here (it's actually woven into several songs, as opposed to being lightly drizzled in the background occasionally or used for shock value), and there's a genuine swing in a lot of the songs that hadn't been a regular part of Sparks albums since Indiscreet or maybe bits of Introducing Sparks. All told, this is a great sound for the band at this stage of its career, and it made it 100% clear that the band's techno days were over (after all, LB still had one foot in the past with its chamber-techno leanings).

My initial impression on hearing the opening "Dick Around" was that this was one of the greatest things I'd ever heard, one of the most ridiculous tracks I'd ever heard, or possibly both, and I've essentially settled on the "both" choice. The lyrics tell of the rise and fall and eventual rise of a corporate go-getter who loses his woman and job and eventually gets the woman back, while in the interim he just dicks around, but just describing the lyrics doesn't begin to describe the song. Multi-track faux-operatic rapid-fire Russell is in full-force, with a solo Russell only appearing occasionally (making it all the more noteworthy when he does), and the music careens from "How Do I Get to Carnegie Hall?" piano to metallic heavy rock to jazzy interludes in a way that seems preposterous on first listen but makes total sense thereafter (at least it did for me). There are too many interesting moments and lyrics in the song to give a full accounting, but I will say (a) that the first time the distorted guitars come in during the "Pull yourself up off the ground ..." verse is one of the great guilty pleasures in my life, (b) the lyrics in the "rise" part tell a pretty evocative story in not that many words, and (c) the chorus ("All I do now is dick around/When the sun goes up and the moon goes down/And the leaves are green and the leaves are brown/And all I do now is dick around") is just gobs of fun to sing when I listen to this. Plus, this track out-Queens Queen so heavily (after Sparks had more or less given birth to Queen) that it almost eliminates Queen's need to exist. The following "Perfume" is a rather fascinating up-tempo mix of piano, bass and grumbly guitars, with Russell matching a bunch of women (with the implication that these are all romantic interests from his past) with their choices of perfume, and him choosing to be with a girl who doesn't wear any perfume because she won't remind him of any of those women. So sue me, it's a ridiculous bit, but when Russell speaks, "The olefactory sense is the sense/That most strongly evokes memories of the past/Well, screw the past!" it cracks me up every time, and it's a fun diversion in the midst of a great song.

The next three tracks all have some clearly discernable weakness or another, but I still quite like all of them. "The Very Next Night" is slow, dreary, repetitive, and has almost no singing (Russell is talking through most of the song, apart from occasional sung background parts or snippets of melody here and there), but I feel like it deserves some notice for the way it depicts an angry drunk who won't take responsibility for his behavior. The lyrics describe a guy who keeps getting in fights over his woman, and who keeps offering pathetic excuses like "How can I let it go if I can't control myself?/How can I let it go if I cannot help myself?" in the context of repetition that strikes me every time as a depiction of double vision and not seeing the world clearly. Musically, it's mostly atmospheric piano, but there's a lovely and sad harpsichord bit in the middle, and the emergence of the grumbly guitars near the end always strongly suggest to me an especially bad episode coming on. It's not the most interesting track in the world, but I like it a lot more than I once did.

"(Baby Baby) Can I Invade Your Country?" was, unfortunately, the victim of some sort of weird censorship, the details of which I don't actually know, and the version that ultimately made the album feels neutered. The version that made it onto a B-side contains lyrics that are surprisingly political and pretty pointed in their silliness, but the album version removes those lyrics and replaces them with Russell reciting the first verse of "The Star-Spangled Banner" instead. Oh well, even without the better verses, the chorus is delightful, and the interaction between the guitars and the bouncy synths make the song fly by. Closing out the first half is "Rock, Rock, Rock," and while it struck me as really stupid on the first few listens (namely because the idea of Russell Mael singing "I will rock, rock, rock/Like a mother, like a mother, like a mother, like a mother" in a "Rhythm Thief" manner struck me as too silly even for Sparks), I came around to it once I made an effort to pay attention to the whole song. Basically, the song is about somebody whose significant other is threatening to leave him because he shows no passion in his life, and in his pleading to keep them from going he promises to cast away the soft musical passages of his life and to rock, rock, rock instead. There's a bit more to the song than just the lyrics and the big bombast of the music (for instance, I find the little vocal echoes from time to time intriguing), but those are ultimately the focus, and they're good enough for me.

The second half of the album is really strong, apart from the three-minute waltz-like throwaway of "There's No Such Thing as Aliens," which doesn't so much commit the crime of annoying me as it just makes almost no impression no matter how many times I hear it. "Metaphor" would be good if it only featured its marvelous hook of "Chicks, dig, dig, d-i-g, dig, dig metaphors," but it also features some fun call-and-response between Russell and other Russells, and the balance between keyboards and guitars perfect. Plus, "Use them wisely/Use them well/And you'll never know the hell of loneliness" is just such an insightful lyric. "Waterproof" is about somebody with a peculiar dual immunity to getting wet from rain and also from being swayed by tears, and the song's build from a playful duet between a solo Russell and Ron into an anthemic army of Russells over Ron's keyboards and guitars is a joy to behold. Plus it has those jazzy breaks of Russell semi-singing "The skies are starting to cloud up/But that won't slow me down ..." between the various iterations of the great verse and chorus melodies, and silly lines like "Completely dry/Dry as a Navajo in August ..." and "I see you crying but I'm not buying your Meryl Streep mimicry ..." scattered throughout. And "Here Kitty," while it probably would have been done in a way that would have annoyed me to death had it been written during the LB sessions, ends up as a great exercise in layering different Russell vocal lines on top of each other, and this is a track that I'd love to hear done by a college glee club or something along those lines.

The album concludes with "As I Sit Down to Play the Organ at the Notre Dame Cathedral," which is easily one of the longest and most intricate tracks in the Sparks catalogue. The song starts with about 90 seconds of different variations on the phrase "Bye bye bye my baby/Now it's time time time for me to go to/Work work Work/So you might want to work your way from here" over guitars and keyboards with odd tones, before moving into a song centered around a nagging upwards organ lick over which Russell sings lyrics devoted to a fascinating premise. Basically, the organist (a) is irritated that the bulk of his audience cares more about God than about his performance, and (b) is totally trying to use his organ playing to pick up girls, targeting those who are inside to get out of the rain more than for any religious purpose. The music is full of "Hallelujah!" chants and sung "La, la ..." parts to that upwards organ lick (the use of the repeated "I believe!" bits sandwiched around the "La, la" parts during a part of the song that is the organist getting lucky amuses me to no end) and lots of entertaining bombast that all make this into a great ending.

In the end, I can't really figure out whether I like this album more or less than LB, but the difference either way would only be the tiniest bit, so it doesn't really matter. There are definitely enough small things (I didn't really emphasize the repetition much in this review, but there are small moments where repeated bits get on my nerves) to keep this from a higher grade, but regardless of exact grade, this album firmly established the Sparks comeback as legitimate, and this makes the album an important inclusion to a Sparks collection. Or, for that matter, a rock rock rock collection.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1197276) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014

Post a review of SPARKS "Hello Young Lovers"