RETROSPECTIVE I (1974-1980)

Rush Retrospective I (1974-1980) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy RUSH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

1. The spirit of radio (4:56)
2. The trees (4:42)
3. Something for nothing (3:59)
4. Freewill (5:21)
5. Xanadu (11:04)
6. Bastille Day (4:37)
7. By-Tor and the snow dog (8:37)
8. Anthem (4:21)
9. Closer to the heart (2:51)
10. 2112: overture (4:17)
11. temples of Syrinx (2:13)
12. La Villa Strangiato (9:34)
13. Fly by night (3:21)
14. Finding my way (5:06)

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) lyrics

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) tabs

- Geddy Lee / basses, bass pedals, synthesizers, vocals
- Alex Lifeson / guitars, bass pedals
- Neil Peart / drums, percussion
- John Rutsey / drums, backing vocals (14)

CD, Retrospective I, Anthem, ANSSD-1087, 1997

and to UMUR for the last updates

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) Music

The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
Rhino Records 2013
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
SignalsSignals
Mercury 1997
Rush Fly By Night Remastered 1997 CD Hard Rock Heavy Metal Music Album Brand New US $14.96 Buy It Now 31m 31s
TOM RUSH ALBUM US $5.50 [0 bids]
32m 36s
ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA**PLAYS THE MUSIC OF RUSH**VINYL US $15.77 Buy It Now 34m 8s
JENNIFER RUSH - Movin' - 1985 UK 10-track vinyl LP US $23.70 Buy It Now 37m 23s
Autographed 24/Seven [Deluxe Edition] CD by Big Time Rush US $20.00 [0 bids]
46m 30s
RUSH - 2112 - SUPER DELUXE - CD/BluRay - 5.1 Surround - Book + DigitalComicBook US $62.00 Buy It Now 48m 35s
RARE FUNK BOBBY RUSH Done got good to me SEDGRICK LISTEN US $40.00 Buy It Now 48m 48s
2X Neil Young CD's Harvest & After the Gold Rush MINT US $11.64 [0 bids]
50m 57s
Prelude - After The Gold Rush lp album 1974 EX / VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 54m 56s
2 LP Lot Rush "Exit Stage Left..." & Strawbs "Deadlines" US $17.99 Buy It Now 58m 34s
PRELUDE- AFTER THE GOLD RUSH VINYL 7" 45RPM co US $2.08 Buy It Now 1h 6m
ISLAND ROOTS VOL 1 KOLEA HO'ONU'A THREE PLUS KAPENA SUDDEN RUSH JOHN CRUZ JUSTIN US $20.00 [0 bids]
RUSH Power Windows 1985 Record LP Album Vinyl EXC.CON.(481) Master Disk!! US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
RUSH - THE GARDEN 10" VINYL RECORD PICTURE DISC BRAND NEW US $38.27 Buy It Now 1h 25m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - RUSH [ORIGINAL SCORE] - NEW CD US $8.13 Buy It Now 1h 34m
COLDPLAY: A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD (CD 2002) - 11 Songs US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Energy Rush Factor 5 & Safe Six Dance Cds US $6.99 [0 bids]
Rush - Presto [ audio CD ] US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
WINDY CITY BLUES New Audio CD Otis Rush Lockwood Sykes Young Laserlight US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Donell Rush If Only You Knew 12" NM WLP Promo Remixes US $4.80 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Coldplay A Rush of Blood to the Head New Compact Disc US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
BABY DOLLS: There You Are / Don't Rush Me 45 (sl label wear) Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
RUSH - Vapor Trails - CD Album US $5.41 Buy It Now 1h 55m
rush lp signals srm-1-4063 m-1 w/inner vg+/m- masterdisk US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h
(AY995) Republica, From Rush Hour With Love- 1998 DJ CD US $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Tom Rush ex mono / stereo 7 Kids These Days / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Tom Rush m- promo 7 Wrong End of the Rainbow / same US $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 5m
NEIL YOUNG After The Gold Rush 1970 REPRISE Records LP US $37.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m
RUSH - 2112 - CD Album *Remastered* US $7.07 Buy It Now 2h 13m
CABARET FUTURA FOOLS RUSH IN WHERE ANGELS DARE VINYL plays MINT- RICHARD STRANGE US $12.25 Buy It Now 2h 14m
RUSH - Feedback - CD Album *Digipak* US $5.41 Buy It Now 2h 21m
RUSH - Rush- CD Album *Remastered* US $5.41 Buy It Now 2h 22m
RUSH - SNAKES & ARROWS LIVE NEW CD US $22.66 Buy It Now 2h 26m
RUSH *VG+* 1997 US MERCURY CD "FAREWELL TO KINGS" US $7.98 Buy It Now 2h 29m
RUSH *VG+* 1997 US MERCURY CD "74-80" US $7.98 Buy It Now 2h 29m
NEIL YOUNG AFTER THE GOLD RUSH ORIGINAL PRESSING CSN WEST COAST RURAL PSYCH US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 30m
MOONLIGHTERS (80'S GROUP) rush hour LP 12 track (625653) german inept 1983 US $8.31 Buy It Now 2h 30m
MOONLIGHTERS (80'S GROUP) rush hour LP 12 track in group sleeve (fiend10) u US $8.31 Buy It Now 2h 30m
MOONLIGHTERS (80'S GROUP) rush hour LP 12 track in group sleeve (fiend10) uk dem US $8.31 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Aly & Aj Into The Rush Deluxe Edition CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 32m
BLACK SABBATH Tribute Metal Hammer 07/12 Pantera Gojira Sabaton Ihsahn Rush US $4.16 [0 bids]
BOW WOW WOW-FOOLS RUSH IN/SEX UK vinyl 45+PS US $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 36m
MADAME MERCURY west coast rush / DJ SPINNER spinister 12" RECORD US $8.75 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Helena - Feel The Rush 4 Track CD Single US $5.54 Buy It Now 2h 40m
RUSH - Test For Echo - CD Album *Remastered* US $5.41 Buy It Now 2h 40m
SPEEDY J bugmod 12" RECORD DJ RUSH UMEK US $8.75 Buy It Now 2h 41m
RUSH - Roll The Bones - CD Album US $5.41 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Roll the Bones by Rush (CD, Sep-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Moving Pictures by Rush (CD, 1981, Island/Mercury) US $0.99 [1 bids]
RUSH LP - A FAREWELL TO KINGS - ORIG. GATEFOLD - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $5.99 [1 bids]
You can't stop the Bum Rush LEN CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 54m
RUSH LP - RUSH THROUGH TIME - GERMAN IMPORT - MERCURY - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $5.99 [0 bids]
RUSH LP - SIGNALS - MERCURY - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $5.99 [1 bids]
3h
RUSH LP - SELF TITLED DEBUT LP - 1ST PRESS - MERCURY - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $10.50 [2 bids]
Vinyl - Electronic Jane Wiedlin, Rush Hour (Extended Remix) 1988 EMI US $7.25 [0 bids]
RUSH LP - PERMANENT WAVES - SHRINK - HYPE STICKER - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $5.99 [1 bids]
RUSH LP - HEMISPHERES - INSERT - GATEFOLD COVER - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $5.99 [1 bids]
RUSH LP - FLY BY NIGHT - 1975 - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $7.50 [2 bids]
Permanent Waves by Rush (CD, Jan-2008, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) US $25.00 [1 bids]
The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch by Cute Is What We Aim For (CD, Jun-200 US $0.50 [0 bids]
RUSH LP - 2112 - 1ST PRESS - GATEFOLD COVER 1976 - NICE COPY!!!!!! US $6.49 [2 bids]
Rush "Farewell To Kings" US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
JENNIFER RUSH LLAMAS DEL PARAISO Flames of Paradise feat Elton John ARG PROMO 7" US $56.85 Buy It Now 3h 17m
45 RPM RECORD SINGLE THE FROGMEN THE MAD RUSH UNDERWATER CANDIX US $9.99 [0 bids]
Tribute To Rush - Piano Tribute To Rush [CD New] US $16.50 Buy It Now 3h 19m
RUSH "A Farewell To Kings" 1977 Mercury SRM-1-1184 A1/B2 VG+/VG+ PROG METAL US $5.99 [0 bids]
RUSH - TIME STAND STILL - 7" VINYL SINGLE 1987 UNITED KINGDOM - RED LABEL - MINT US $9.90 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Ann Margret - Love Rush - E Minor - U.S. PROMO 12" VINYL US $5.98 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Black Gold - Rush [Vinyl New] US $7.99 [0 bids]
Folksongs '65 -Tom Rush-Judy Collins-Phil Ochs-Tom Paxton-Paul Butterfield-Camp US $0.99 [0 bids]
Taylor Dayne In The Darkness Dont Rush Me Arista9722 R VG PS VG-EX (45-7486) US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Into the Rush by Aly & AJ  HITS  Minty CD  New Case US $7.50 Buy It Now 3h 46m
RUSH Roll the Bones LP Record - Orig German Pressing - Near MINT -VERY RARE US $71.00 [8 bids]
U2 BOB MARLEY BON JOVI ERIC CLAPTON RUSH JOHN MELLENCAMP MARVIN GAYE SAMPLER CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
RUSH Permanent Waves Remaster CD METAL ROCK LED ZEPPELIN US $4.99 [0 bids]
Best of Chicago Blues [Rhino] (CD) Buddy Guy Jimmy Reed Junior Wells Otis Rush US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
RUSH Roll the Bones 12" Single LP Record - Orig UK DJ Pressing - NMINT-VERY RARE US $32.00 [4 bids]
Rush: Original Soundtrack * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $12.07 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Working Men by Rush (CD, Nov-2009, Atlantic (Label)) US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
RUSH Counterparts 12" Single LP Record - Orig UK DJ Pressing - NMINT-VERY RARE US $19.99 [1 bids]
Rush Replay X 3 US $29.67 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Snakes & Arrows by Rush (CD, May-2007, Atlantic) US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Tom Rush S/T LP Columbia Records 360 Sound CS9972 Rare Folk Rock VG+ US $1.99 [0 bids]
RUSH 2112 LP Record - Holland Remastered Amsterdam - VERY RARE - Near MINT US $23.00 [3 bids]
Tom Rush - Circle Game (1989) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Rush Time Machine 2011 Live In Cleveland DVD Hard Rock Music Album Region 2 US $26.62 Buy It Now 4h 16m
RUSH Moving Pictures LP Record - Holland Remastered Amsterdam-VERY RARE - NMINT US $19.99 [1 bids]
(EJ209) Suga Rush Beat Company, L-O-V-E - DJ CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Test for Echo [Remaster] by Rush (CD, Aug-2004, Atlantic (Label)) LIKE NEW US $5.00 [0 bids]
RUSH Signals LP Record - Holland Remastered Amsterdam - VERY RARE - Near Mint US $19.99 [1 bids]
RUSH lp Grace Under Pressure"Sealed"Anthem US $72.00 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Hemispheres Rush Japan Press W/ Inserts EX+ US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 23m
RUSH Electric Ladyland Live LP Record - SEALED - VERY RARE - MINT - 1975 US $42.51 [8 bids]
RUSH LP SELF TITLED MASTERDISC SKYLINE LABEL NM US $34.99 [0 bids]
RUSH 1982 USA DJ 7" 45 NEW WORLD MAN on Mercury. Hard Rock US $13.00 Buy It Now 4h 29m
LP / JENNIFER RUSH / SELF TITLED (CANADA) US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
NEIL YOUNG THE GOLD RUSH "After The Gold Rush" LP 1970 Reprise Records ? RS 6383 US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 34m
RUSH Hold Your Fire / Prime Mover 12" Single LP Record - RARE -NM - Reflective US $19.99 [0 bids]
Jane Wiedlin - Rush Hour/End of Love 45rmp Record US $14.00 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Chronicles by Rush (CD, Sep-1990, 2 Discs, Mercury) US $6.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) ratings distribution

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) reviews

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars Half of the fun!

Retrospective I, my first experience with the band that would later become my very favorite. This is a great collection of the band's best work from the mid 70s to 1980. Featuring all the hits and some of the more fan based songs, this is actually a rather daring compilation. Including the fantastic XANADU in it's 11:05 entirety as well as BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG and LA VILLA STRANGIATO, it's nice to see that many of the band's quintessential material represented, not just their hits or short songs.

1 or 2 songs from each of the albums from Rush through to Permanent Waves are represented, making quite a nice mix. The addition of the split 2112 OVERTURE and THE TEMPLES OF SYRINX is also interesting for the Rush completionist, as the 2112 suite is hardly ever split up into its individual tracks. Featuring some cool artwork and some surprisingly nice liner notes that outline who wrote each song and which album to find it on (with each album cover represented), this is actually one of the better compilations to be put together for a band. It's a shame that none of the band's 80s material is represented, but that's what Retrospective II is for. Not to mention that both albums would later be recycled and put together for the ''Gold'' compilation.

While there are definitely songs that I would've liked to see added, this is a good mix of the tracks that one needs to hear to get into the band. That said... the songs are each better in the context of their respective album anyways.

3 stars, a good place to start.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#163402) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars The Early Days of Rush. For newbie, this might be a good one to start. But if I imagine this box set has never been released and my friend ask me about the band, I would give him "Hemisphere" or "A Farewell To Kings" or "Permanent Waves" or "Moving Picture" as a start, instead of giving him a compilation album. Why? Because some of the band's tracks are epic like "2112" that should not be cut like the one presented here. I think that's the best way to introduce Rush, so that newbie will get the full picture of Rush music in a full set album.

In the case that you have not known the band yet and purchased this CD already, this is not bad at all. The tracks contain here are all great. "The Spirit of Radio" has been considered by Rush maniacs as the band's masterpiece. You will find similar hard driving energy with "Temple of Syrinx" and "Fly By Night". The best track for my taste is of course "La Villa Strangiato" which starts beautifully with classical guitar outfit followed by rockin' music. This is really cool. While you can also find track with good combination of acoustic and heavy stuffs through "The Trees" and "Closer to The Heart".

Overall, it's a good compilation even though it's actually hard to make compilation for Rush. I would recommend you to buy individual album. It's worth collecting. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#182245) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 12, 2008

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars The first of three compilation albums of Rush music is astounding in its breadth, even though it misses several far superior pieces. For obvious reasons, the lengthier tracks are shunned whenever compilations are made, as a higher number of tracks indicate a better value for the consumers. Yet whoever compiled this bargain had the good sense to maintain a few of the longer works in their complete forms rather than emasculate them, as had happened with "2112," which of course would not have been a good move anyway ( "2112" is not as marvelous as some claim, in my opinion). Rush has an expansive career, and it makes sense to chop down their work into three epochs (in fact, I think there are three epochs of Rush, and the designers of these compilations have them pretty much spot on here). The fact is, when it comes to compilations, there will almost always be complaints (the two words are practically false cognates), but Rush gets a good treatment here, as not only do their major 1970s hits get attention and prime placement in the track listing, but some of their most cherished works are present in full. In short, this is an excellent compilation for a casual Rush fan of almost any stripe.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#269620) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 04, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars Retrospective I (1974-1980) is a compilation album by Canadian progressive rock act Rush. As the title suggests the album covers Rush releases from 1974 to 1980. The album was released in 1997 with its companion album Retrospective II (1981- 1987).

There are 14 tracks on the album covering all 6 full-length studio albums released in the years 1974 - 1980. The compilation serves as a good entry point to the early part of Rush career but of course the edited version of 2112 doesnīt really do that epic track justice. I could have lived without a few of the tracks from the first three albums but thatīs an aquired taste and itīs hard to deny that Retrospective I (1974-1980) really serves its purpose well. A 3 star rating is warranted if you ask me, but thatīs mostly because Iīm not much of a fan of the early releases by Rush. Songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato and my favorite here Freewill are the highligts for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#273828) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Not bad, you can start here!

Rush may have been one of the first prog bands I knew, and more probably the first one I did not like, I believe maybe because I found the vocals annoying and maybe the music boring, maybe because I have never been fan of heavier music, compared to the music I like of course, but well, it probably took me 3 years to find in Hemispheres, that Rush album that really caught my attention and made me want to actually listen to their music.

Later, in a bargain I found this compilation, whose songs were at the moment pretty unknown to me, so despite I could say my starting point was Hemispheres, this Retrospective I, was the first album that got me to the band, because I could know songs (mostly their better known songs) from different early Rush albums, so it was in my opinion a nice introduction to the band.

Here, with 14 songs and 75 minutes of music you will have a taste of Rush music, from their early era (1974-80) when they had already released 7 albums such as Hemispheres, Caress of Still and Permanent Waves. So here you will listen to songs gathered from all those albums, for those who are not familiar with them, there are some albums from the same early era that sound really different to each other , so don't take for granted that you will listen to similar songs.

In Retrospective I, you will appreciate some well known songs (and good ones) such as "The Spirit of Radio"; "Xanadu", "By-tor and the Snow Dog"; "Closer to the Heart" or the beautiful "La Villa Strangiato".

It is a very nice compilation album, not a bad place to start if you are new to the band, though as always, I would recommend listening to a studio album first. My final grade, 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276547) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Retrospective I (1974-1980)' - Rush (Compilation)

To my knowledge, this is the only compilation of Rush's earlier material that more or less, gets it right. The idea of a 'best-of' playlist isn't to single out the most commercial and easy listening and put it on a new record, it is quite surprisingly, to show over the course of a single disc, what the band can do. Pulling out beautiful pieces like 'La Villa Strangiato' and 'Xanadu' is the right thing to do if a band wants to get new fans.

The first album seems a little under-represented here (where is 'Working Man' or 'In The Mood?') but that doesn't cross me as being a huge issue, due to the fact it wasn't a great album to begin with. From these first five albums are mixed up for the sake of flow, which is also a great thing to have that most compilations disregard entirely.

This is one of the better Rush compilations out there. A perfect thing to check out if you're not sure whether or not you like Rush, or are just a casual fan.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#285875) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010

2 stars This is a great collection of Canadian power trio's finest hour. Though, no collection can grasp their greatness, as a large amount of their greatness comes from ideals and atmospheres each individual album has. Therefore, this collection is simply a taste of what they're capable of. However, thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#96056) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, October 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Inexplicably, I'm gonna give this one only 3 stars. Why? Parts of it are kinda noisy, and the rating fits since much of the material isn't taken from their "classic" period, as on, say "Chronicles" (by far, the best Rush compilation) or "Retrospective 1981-1987". There's a lot of good stuff ... (read more)

Report this review (#80017) | Posted by sbrushfan | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Compilation albums for me are the best friends you have when you are travelling...As I said it's no use to buy something when it's more interesting to have the whole collection of records...But you know when I leave my home for some time I take some "The Bests of..." with me. This with its sis ... (read more)

Report this review (#21148) | Posted by Carlos | Friday, February 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I just bought this album, eight years (omg time flies!) since the deliciously organic in spots, but overall Mediocre, Test for Echo. I really enjoyed hearing all the great songs I remembered from collecting Rush albums during high school in the early 90's. This collection of greats made me wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#21147) | Posted by | Monday, July 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Retrospective I (1974-1980)"