RETROSPECTIVE I (1974-1980)

Rush Retrospective I (1974-1980) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy RUSH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

1. The spirit of radio (4:56)
2. The trees (4:42)
3. Something for nothing (3:59)
4. Freewill (5:21)
5. Xanadu (11:04)
6. Bastille Day (4:37)
7. By-Tor and the snow dog (8:37)
8. Anthem (4:21)
9. Closer to the heart (2:51)
10. 2112: overture (4:17)
11. temples of Syrinx (2:13)
12. La Villa Strangiato (9:34)
13. Fly by night (3:21)
14. Finding my way (5:06)

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) lyrics

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) tabs

- Geddy Lee / basses, bass pedals, synthesizers, vocals
- Alex Lifeson / guitars, bass pedals
- Neil Peart / drums, percussion
- John Rutsey / drums, backing vocals (14)

CD, Retrospective I, Anthem, ANSSD-1087, 1997

and to UMUR for the last updates

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) Music

The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
RushRush
Island / Mercury 1997
A Farewell to KingsA Farewell to Kings
Mercury 1997
Vapor Trails (Remixed)Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Rhino 2013
HemispheresHemispheres
Grace Under PressureGrace Under Pressure
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
RUSH - VAPOR TRAILS REMIXED - 8122796440 US $11.53 Buy It Now 29m 49s
RUSH -MOVING PICTURES+ HEMISPHERES+ 2112+ PRESTO+ ROLL THE BONES---10 ROCK CD'S! US $49.99 Buy It Now 31m 42s
Weekend Rush Part 3 Dica & Red Ant Boogie Beat Records 1992 OLDSKOOL HARDCORE US $19.44 Buy It Now 31m 43s
NEIL YOUNG After the Gold Rush - Vinyl LP - Reprise RS 6383 US $9.99 Buy It Now 36m 51s
RUSH - CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR - RR75982 US $26.08 Buy It Now 38m 30s
Jennifer Rush - Higher Ground / Power of Love (CD) 3 Tracks - Mint Fast Postage US $14.57 Buy It Now 40m 26s
ROY ACUFF CD Hear the Mighty Rush of Engine - Jasmine 3532 US $9.75 Buy It Now 40m 30s
Rush - Vapor Trails [Vinyl New] US $27.93 Buy It Now 43m 4s
Classic Rock/Pop Albums -6 LP LOT(Rush/Journey/UFO/Charlie Daniels,Fogelberg et) US $7.00 [0 bids]
44m 8s
Various Artists - Rush Hour [CD New] US $15.43 Buy It Now 44m 30s
RICK NELSON-Fools Rush In/Down Home UK 7" VG Cond US $8.09 Buy It Now 45m 45s
Classic Rock/Pop Albums -6 LP LOT(Mahogany Rush,Joe Walsh,UFO,Frampton,Bad Co.) US $7.00 [1 bids]
51m 43s
Stephanie Mills ?- You're Puttin' A Rush On Me US $5.99 Buy It Now 51m 52s
TAYLOR DAYNE-DON'T RUSH ME 2 VERSIONS pop 12" US $4.98 Buy It Now 52m 10s
THE YES ALBUM REMASTER CD KING CRIMSON GENESIS RUSH EMERSON LAKE PALMER CAMEL US $3.99 [0 bids]
53m 8s
Radio Show: BLUES DELUXE 10/31/10 ROLLING STONES, O.RUSH, CHRIS DUARTE,JP BLUES US $15.99 Buy It Now 55m 15s
YES YESTERDAYS CD REMASTER KING CRIMSON RUSH GENESIS CAMEL EMERSON LAKE PALMER US $3.99 [0 bids]
55m 20s
NEIL YOUNG AFTER THE GOLD RUSH reprise German Lp nr MINT VINYL US $16.21 [0 bids]
59m 49s
TM Century 709N Radio Promo GoldDisc CD Compilation (LIKE NEW) Sublime | Rush US $9.95 [1 bids]
TM Century 1723R Radio Promo GoldDisc CD Compilation (LIKE NEW) Rush | Dio | U2 US $9.95 [2 bids]
K CI & JOJO Don't Rush / All My Life EDIT & CLUB MIX CD Single KCI and SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
RUSH - Posters & Promos etc - POSTCARD SET # 1 US $8.09 [0 bids]
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Live - Vinyl LP US $8.02 Buy It Now 1h 19m
LITTLE WATER & OTIS RUSH - LIVE IN CHICAGO 0 QUICKSILVER-5003 - SHRINK STILL ON US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Frank Marino & Mohogany Rush Eye Of The Storm & Double Live US $25.00 [0 bids]
Lot of 15 Hard Rock CD's, like Triumph, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd, Rush US $25.99 [0 bids]
RUSH All The World's A Stage 1976 Mercury GF DBL LP SRM 2-7508 EXC w/sleeves US $17.50 Buy It Now 1h 29m
EZRA Songs from Pennsylvania (F2 200604) CD; Symphonic Rock ...Pink Floyd, Rush US $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Under Wraps by Jethro Tull (CD, Jul-1996, Gold Rush) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Rush "Spirit Of St Valentine" 2xlp Black/Green Wax very limited FM Broadcast NM! US $32.69 Buy It Now 1h 40m
RUSH WEEK BY DOUG CLARK AND HOT NUTS LP US $6.99 [0 bids]
All the World's a Stage [Remaster] by Rush (CD, Jul-1997, Mercury) US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
MERILEE RUSH REACH OUT 45 FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
NEIL YOUNG after the gold rush 1ST LAMINATED ISRAEL ISRAELI LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Tom Rush self-titled 1970 Columbia LP, "12", Folk Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
rush. moving pictures lp US $17.95 [0 bids]
2h
rush-mercury 4764-grace under pressure-sealed w/sticker US $80.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Beat Dimensions, Vol. 1 [PA] by Various Artists (CD, Oct-2009, Rush Hour) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
ATLANTIC soul 45 JENNINGS BROTHERS - Believe In Me + Don't Rush NICE US $6.00 [1 bids]
COLDPLAY - A Rush of Blood To The Head - 2002 - CD - 724354050428 - DISC ONLY US $1.49 [0 bids]
Rush-Signals (VG+) US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE + Free CD - Feb 2008 AC/DC, Rush, Skynyrd, Slash, Eagles US $17.82 Buy It Now 2h 21m
RUSH ARCHIVES LP TRIPLE ALBUM MERCURY 6641799 GATEFOLD SLEEVE RECORDS VERY GOOD US $4.85 [0 bids]
Rush archives 3 record set in ex cond US $34.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
RUSH - Presto - 1989 - CD - 7 82040-2 - UPC 0 7567-82040-2 9 - 11 Tracks US $2.49 [0 bids]
joyrider - rush hour cd single US $12.55 Buy It Now 2h 26m
BLACK SABBATH Tribute Metal Hammer 07/12 Pantera Gojira Sabaton Ihsahn Rush US $4.05 [0 bids]
Rush - Retrospective I (1974-1980) (CD 1997) CLASSICS US $5.22 Buy It Now 2h 31m
(RAVE FLYER) 1991 "IMAGINATION / RED 1" @ BISHOPS GATE,LONDON,E1. dj rush US $1.60 [0 bids]
Rush: Starman Stitched Logo Flexfit Baseball Cap - New & Official With Tag US $20.26 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Rush Vintage 2112 Blue enamel pin badge US $5.67 [0 bids]
Superstars Salute New Massey Hall RUSH April Wine TROOPER Rare 1981 Canada LP EX US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rush - All the Worlds a stage vintage enamel pin badge US $4.05 [0 bids]
great rare tom rush-33rpm US $5.50 [0 bids]
Jane Wiedlin - Rush Hour / The End Of Love 45 & Picture Sleeve Go Go's US $1.99 [0 bids]
Signals by Rush (CD, Jun-1989, Island/Mercury) US $1.49 [0 bids]
Rush vintage 1980s CRYSTAL BADGE US $9.71 Buy It Now 2h 52m
RUSH - SECTOR 2 (+DVD) NEW CD US $69.71 Buy It Now 2h 52m
JEWEL soul funk 45 BOBBY RUSH - Get It On With Me + It's Alright NICE NM US $3.00 [0 bids]
Jim Nesbitt C&W NOVELTY 45 (Rush 2003) Husband In Law/New Frontier VG++ US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h
LALO SCHIFRIN - RUSH HOUR: SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $19.15 Buy It Now 3h 4m
STEPHANIE MILLS ~ {Youre Puttin} A Rush On Me ~ 12" Single PS US $8.74 Buy It Now 3h 6m
NEW sealed Windy City Blues Rush Lockwood Sykes Young US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
RUSH ?- Archives - 1975 Vinyl Lp.x 3/ VG+/ Prog. Hard Rock AOR/ First 3 Lp's US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
GOLD RUSH I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business x2 record vinyl LP Ace Enders US $200.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Power Windows by Rush (CD, Sep-1990, Island/Mercury) US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
RUSH-SIGNALS 1982 MERCURY RECORDS LP SRM-1-4063 EXC. VG+ SUBDIVISIONS MASTERDISK US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
RUSH - MOVING PICTURES JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD WPCR-13479 BRAND NEW !!! US $37.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Rush 2112 vintage 1980s METAL BADGE - Clubman brand US $9.71 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Rush Street, Richard Marx, Good US $1.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
RUSH - 2112 JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD WPCR-13475 BRAND NEW !!! US $37.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
ONE STOP SERIES VOL 16 - SONNY RHODES- BOBBY RUSH- ETC-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
MUZIK MAGAZINE AUGUST 1996 :UNDERWORLD, APHEX TWIN & U-ZIQ , ED RUSH, ALEX REECE US $3.23 Buy It Now 3h 30m
MUSIC CD - ERIC CLAPTON - RUSH - THE MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
MAHOGANY RUSH IV VINYL LP FRANK MARINO US $1.99 [0 bids]
Roots of The Blues 3 CD BOX JESSE FULLER MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT OTIS RUSH SPANN US $2.99 [0 bids]
RUSH - SIGNALS JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD WPCR-13480 BRAND NEW !!! US $37.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
P-VINE 20 anniversary special JAPAN 4 CD Lightnin Hpokins Elmore James Otis Rush US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour Movie Promo CD Jackie Chan Chris Tucker Ani DiFranco Voodoo Glow Skull US $3.35 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SKIN GAMES, THE BLOOD RUSH, LP 1989 UK DEMO COPY EX/EX-, INNER/SL US $14.57 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Rush - Archives First 3 Lps.. Rush,Fly By Night,Caress Of Steel US $30.00 [0 bids]
Rhythm Warfare, reggae rush/ Get It Up (VG) LP 12" US $28.96 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Marillion "Script For A Jester's Tear" LP Fish Genesis Rush Julian Cope Saga Yes US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rush 2112 1981 EXC + CON.(433) Record LP Album Like New!! R.C.A. Copy!! US $35.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Rush Lp Power Window (Mercury) US $13.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
RUSH AVIVA TU FUEGO RARE CASSETTE ARGENTINA US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Caress of Steel by Rush (CD, May-1988, Island/Mercury) US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 47m
EDDY CLEARWATER "Flim Doozie" Blues LP Otis Rush 1986 Rooster Records NM US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
RUSH : FLY BY NIGHT , ( CAPITOL , CANADA ) US $4.25 Buy It Now 3h 50m
COLDPLAY: A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD BRAND NEW ?????? CD US $29.50 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Roll the Bones by Rush (CD, Sep-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Tom Rush "Wrong End Of The Rainbow"/45/ US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h
RUSH HEMISPHERES JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SHIPS FROM USA US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - AUGUST RUSH - NEW CD US $4.52 Buy It Now 4h 7m
RUSH - 2112 2009 JAPAN SHM REMASTERED MINI LP CD US $40.51 Buy It Now 4h 7m
RUSH soundtrack HANS ZIMMER cd SCORE ost DAVID BOWIE thin lizzy WINWOOD edmunds US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
northern soul LITTLE BEN & THE CHEERS Brown Eyed Devil RUSH M- hear soundclips!! US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Terminator X-Wanna Be Dancin-LP-Rush Associated-Columbia-Vinyl Record US $5.99 [0 bids]
GEDDY LEE (Rush) - Magazine Poster US $7.30 Buy It Now 4h 25m
3 Cd Lot Collective Soul Self Titled Blender Rush Test For Echo Rock Cds US $6.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) ratings distribution

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) reviews

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars Half of the fun!

Retrospective I, my first experience with the band that would later become my very favorite. This is a great collection of the band's best work from the mid 70s to 1980. Featuring all the hits and some of the more fan based songs, this is actually a rather daring compilation. Including the fantastic XANADU in it's 11:05 entirety as well as BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG and LA VILLA STRANGIATO, it's nice to see that many of the band's quintessential material represented, not just their hits or short songs.

1 or 2 songs from each of the albums from Rush through to Permanent Waves are represented, making quite a nice mix. The addition of the split 2112 OVERTURE and THE TEMPLES OF SYRINX is also interesting for the Rush completionist, as the 2112 suite is hardly ever split up into its individual tracks. Featuring some cool artwork and some surprisingly nice liner notes that outline who wrote each song and which album to find it on (with each album cover represented), this is actually one of the better compilations to be put together for a band. It's a shame that none of the band's 80s material is represented, but that's what Retrospective II is for. Not to mention that both albums would later be recycled and put together for the ''Gold'' compilation.

While there are definitely songs that I would've liked to see added, this is a good mix of the tracks that one needs to hear to get into the band. That said... the songs are each better in the context of their respective album anyways.

3 stars, a good place to start.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#163402) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars The Early Days of Rush. For newbie, this might be a good one to start. But if I imagine this box set has never been released and my friend ask me about the band, I would give him "Hemisphere" or "A Farewell To Kings" or "Permanent Waves" or "Moving Picture" as a start, instead of giving him a compilation album. Why? Because some of the band's tracks are epic like "2112" that should not be cut like the one presented here. I think that's the best way to introduce Rush, so that newbie will get the full picture of Rush music in a full set album.

In the case that you have not known the band yet and purchased this CD already, this is not bad at all. The tracks contain here are all great. "The Spirit of Radio" has been considered by Rush maniacs as the band's masterpiece. You will find similar hard driving energy with "Temple of Syrinx" and "Fly By Night". The best track for my taste is of course "La Villa Strangiato" which starts beautifully with classical guitar outfit followed by rockin' music. This is really cool. While you can also find track with good combination of acoustic and heavy stuffs through "The Trees" and "Closer to The Heart".

Overall, it's a good compilation even though it's actually hard to make compilation for Rush. I would recommend you to buy individual album. It's worth collecting. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#182245) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 12, 2008

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars The first of three compilation albums of Rush music is astounding in its breadth, even though it misses several far superior pieces. For obvious reasons, the lengthier tracks are shunned whenever compilations are made, as a higher number of tracks indicate a better value for the consumers. Yet whoever compiled this bargain had the good sense to maintain a few of the longer works in their complete forms rather than emasculate them, as had happened with "2112," which of course would not have been a good move anyway ( "2112" is not as marvelous as some claim, in my opinion). Rush has an expansive career, and it makes sense to chop down their work into three epochs (in fact, I think there are three epochs of Rush, and the designers of these compilations have them pretty much spot on here). The fact is, when it comes to compilations, there will almost always be complaints (the two words are practically false cognates), but Rush gets a good treatment here, as not only do their major 1970s hits get attention and prime placement in the track listing, but some of their most cherished works are present in full. In short, this is an excellent compilation for a casual Rush fan of almost any stripe.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#269620) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 04, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars Retrospective I (1974-1980) is a compilation album by Canadian progressive rock act Rush. As the title suggests the album covers Rush releases from 1974 to 1980. The album was released in 1997 with its companion album Retrospective II (1981- 1987).

There are 14 tracks on the album covering all 6 full-length studio albums released in the years 1974 - 1980. The compilation serves as a good entry point to the early part of Rush career but of course the edited version of 2112 doesnīt really do that epic track justice. I could have lived without a few of the tracks from the first three albums but thatīs an aquired taste and itīs hard to deny that Retrospective I (1974-1980) really serves its purpose well. A 3 star rating is warranted if you ask me, but thatīs mostly because Iīm not much of a fan of the early releases by Rush. Songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato and my favorite here Freewill are the highligts for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#273828) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Not bad, you can start here!

Rush may have been one of the first prog bands I knew, and more probably the first one I did not like, I believe maybe because I found the vocals annoying and maybe the music boring, maybe because I have never been fan of heavier music, compared to the music I like of course, but well, it probably took me 3 years to find in Hemispheres, that Rush album that really caught my attention and made me want to actually listen to their music.

Later, in a bargain I found this compilation, whose songs were at the moment pretty unknown to me, so despite I could say my starting point was Hemispheres, this Retrospective I, was the first album that got me to the band, because I could know songs (mostly their better known songs) from different early Rush albums, so it was in my opinion a nice introduction to the band.

Here, with 14 songs and 75 minutes of music you will have a taste of Rush music, from their early era (1974-80) when they had already released 7 albums such as Hemispheres, Caress of Still and Permanent Waves. So here you will listen to songs gathered from all those albums, for those who are not familiar with them, there are some albums from the same early era that sound really different to each other , so don't take for granted that you will listen to similar songs.

In Retrospective I, you will appreciate some well known songs (and good ones) such as "The Spirit of Radio"; "Xanadu", "By-tor and the Snow Dog"; "Closer to the Heart" or the beautiful "La Villa Strangiato".

It is a very nice compilation album, not a bad place to start if you are new to the band, though as always, I would recommend listening to a studio album first. My final grade, 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276547) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Retrospective I (1974-1980)' - Rush (Compilation)

To my knowledge, this is the only compilation of Rush's earlier material that more or less, gets it right. The idea of a 'best-of' playlist isn't to single out the most commercial and easy listening and put it on a new record, it is quite surprisingly, to show over the course of a single disc, what the band can do. Pulling out beautiful pieces like 'La Villa Strangiato' and 'Xanadu' is the right thing to do if a band wants to get new fans.

The first album seems a little under-represented here (where is 'Working Man' or 'In The Mood?') but that doesn't cross me as being a huge issue, due to the fact it wasn't a great album to begin with. From these first five albums are mixed up for the sake of flow, which is also a great thing to have that most compilations disregard entirely.

This is one of the better Rush compilations out there. A perfect thing to check out if you're not sure whether or not you like Rush, or are just a casual fan.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#285875) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010

2 stars This is a great collection of Canadian power trio's finest hour. Though, no collection can grasp their greatness, as a large amount of their greatness comes from ideals and atmospheres each individual album has. Therefore, this collection is simply a taste of what they're capable of. However, thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#96056) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, October 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Inexplicably, I'm gonna give this one only 3 stars. Why? Parts of it are kinda noisy, and the rating fits since much of the material isn't taken from their "classic" period, as on, say "Chronicles" (by far, the best Rush compilation) or "Retrospective 1981-1987". There's a lot of good stuff ... (read more)

Report this review (#80017) | Posted by sbrushfan | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Compilation albums for me are the best friends you have when you are travelling...As I said it's no use to buy something when it's more interesting to have the whole collection of records...But you know when I leave my home for some time I take some "The Bests of..." with me. This with its sis ... (read more)

Report this review (#21148) | Posted by Carlos | Friday, February 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I just bought this album, eight years (omg time flies!) since the deliciously organic in spots, but overall Mediocre, Test for Echo. I really enjoyed hearing all the great songs I remembered from collecting Rush albums during high school in the early 90's. This collection of greats made me wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#21147) | Posted by | Monday, July 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Retrospective I (1974-1980)"