RETROSPECTIVE I (1974-1980)

Rush Retrospective I (1974-1980) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy RUSH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

1. The spirit of radio (4:56)
2. The trees (4:42)
3. Something for nothing (3:59)
4. Freewill (5:21)
5. Xanadu (11:04)
6. Bastille Day (4:37)
7. By-Tor and the snow dog (8:37)
8. Anthem (4:21)
9. Closer to the heart (2:51)
10. 2112: overture (4:17)
11. temples of Syrinx (2:13)
12. La Villa Strangiato (9:34)
13. Fly by night (3:21)
14. Finding my way (5:06)

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) lyrics

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) tabs

- Geddy Lee / basses, bass pedals, synthesizers, vocals
- Alex Lifeson / guitars, bass pedals
- Neil Peart / drums, percussion
- John Rutsey / drums, backing vocals (14)

CD, Retrospective I, Anthem, ANSSD-1087, 1997

and to UMUR for the last updates

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) Music

Roadrunner Records 2012
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
RushRush
Island / Mercury 1997
The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Island / Mercury 2003
HemispheresHemispheres
Island / Mercury 1997
Vapor Trails (Remixed)Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Rhino 2013
A Farewell to KingsA Farewell to Kings
Island / Mercury 1997
Rush Hour 2 - Original Motion Picture Score;Music Co... US $17.09 Buy It Now 43m 55s
Love Rush - Luv 2 See Ya (Dancin) - Azuli #284896 US $8.38 Buy It Now 44m 7s
RUSH-HEMISPHERES-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F45 US $29.50 Buy It Now 1h
COLDPLAY '4 CD CATALOGUE SET' Parachutes/X&Y/Viva La Vida/Rush of Blood (2012) US $25.10 Buy It Now 1h 3m
RUSH-SIGNALS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F45 US $29.50 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BOB WELCH "DON'T RUSH THE GOOD THINGS" 7" 45 RECORD US $6.56 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Big Time Rush - Btr CD US $13.24 Buy It Now 1h 23m
RUSH-POWER WINDOWS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD F45 US $29.50 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Rush Street by Richard Marx (CD, Jun-1992, Capitol) US $0.50 [0 bids]
DRAKE JAZZ ENSEMBLE,CD,Rush Hour US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
RUSH " A SHOW OF HANDS " RARE ORIGINAL US ROCK 2LP 1989 SEALED US $39.99 [0 bids]
The Power of Love, Jennifer Rush, Acceptable Vinyl US $6.41 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Jennifer Rush - (International Version, 1998) 21 US $6.70 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Richard Marx - Rush Street (1992) 21 US $6.70 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Lot of 30 Empty Longboxes - McCartney Springsteen Jackson Hornsby Rush E. John US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 38m
RUSH CLOCKWORK ANGELS (2012) BRAND NEW SEALED HARD ROCK CD US $23.41 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Vinyl! "Ladies Love Outlaws"-Tom Rush LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush (CD 1993) US $6.70 Buy It Now 2h 48m
RUSH -COUNTERPARTS LP,EXCELLENT CONDITION,ORIGINAL GERMANY 1993 PRESS WITH INNER US $399.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
MAHOGANY RUSH IV 1976 JAPAN CD OBI SRCS 6244 1ST PRESS US $35.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Clockwork Angels - Rush New & Sealed CD US $23.20 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Time Machine 2011-Live In Cleveland - Rush New & Sealed CD US $23.20 Buy It Now 2h 51m
(NEIL YOUNG-After the Gold Rush)-definitive singer/songwriter albums-G3-XTRA LP US $22.48 Buy It Now 3h 16m
RUSH SPIRIT OF RADIO 7" B/W CIRCUMSTANCES USA US $15.11 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Rush [DVD New] US $16.68 Buy It Now 3h 33m
NEIL YOUNG After the Gold Rush JAPAN LP 1st. Issue 1971 w/Lyric insert US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Big Time Rush - Btr [CD New] US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Merilee Rush - s/t self titled - Very nice E LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 4m
NEW - Energy Rush 3 by Energy Rush 3 (1993) US $10.80 Buy It Now 4h 7m
RUSH IN RIO JAPAN 2 DVD ALEX LIFESON SEALED NEW US $20.39 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Rush Otis - Double Trouble NEW CD US $8.03 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Rush Clockwork Angels Tour Mexican Edition 2DVD US $26.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Rush Retrospective I 1974-1980 Mexican Edition CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Rush Retrospective II 1981-1987 Mexican Edition CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
JENNIFER RUSH 'THE POWER OF LOVE (REMIX)' UK PICTURE SLEEVE 7" SINGLE #2 US $2.10 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Icon - Rush New & Sealed CD US $12.35 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Rush Signals Original IN SHRINK with Sticker Prog Psych LP NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Flowered Up - It's On / Egg Rush London Records (1991) FUP 2 - 7" Vinyl ps US $8.38 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Jennifer Rush(7" Vinyl P/S)Ring Of Ice-CBS-A 4745-UK-VG/VG US $8.38 Buy It Now 4h 55m
RUSH - Majestic Symphonies - (Rare Live 1994 2-CD Set) US $21.50 [3 bids]
5h
Energy Rush Factor Five US $4.13 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Energy Rush K9 US $4.13 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Galactica Rush CD US $4.43 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Rush - Works for Percussion US $19.63 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Teleport / Sugar Rush US $11.23 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Btr - Time Rush Big New & Sealed CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 5h 21m
RARE MUSIC CD "PRESTO" BY RUSH 1989 ATLANTIC LABEL LOOK AWESOME A MUST HAVE US $1.49 [0 bids]
Yo! Bum Rush the Show [PA] by Public Enemy (CD, May-1995, Def Jam (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rush - Permanent Waves - 5346302 US $11.10 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Otis Rush- Double Troube - SBLUECD084 US $10.24 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Japan Mini LP SHM CD SET - RUSH - 12 SHM CD SET - the compleet set - sealed US $1,499.00 Buy It Now 5h 42m
(DZ883) Liars, No. 1 Against The Rush - 2012 DJ CD US $5.02 Buy It Now 5h 45m
STILL SEALED / RUSH GRACE UNDER PRESSURE / WITH OBI US $399.99 [0 bids]
Rush - Permanent Waves - LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
RUSH NEW WORLD MAN 1982 VINYL 12 INCH 3 TRACK SINGLE *EXCELLENT PLUS RUSH ITEM US $15.03 Buy It Now 6h 19m
LOVE ROCK - STRAWBERRY RUSH 12" PUMP RECORDS ALDRICH US $3.34 Buy It Now 6h 19m
JENNIFER RUSH - BEST OF JENNIFER RUSH: 1983-2010 [886977955624] - NEW CD US $6.24 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Rush Caress of Steel UK Mercury 12" Vinyl LP 9100 018 DE LUXE 1/Y Lee Lifeson US $38.60 Buy It Now 6h 22m
RUSH Grace Under Pressure JAPAN 1st Press CD 1984 35 8P-44 RARE! US $64.00 Buy It Now 6h 33m
COLDPLAY - A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD/PARACHUTES - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.46 Buy It Now 6h 36m
2 LP Lot Rush "Exit...Stage Left" & Emerson Lake & Palmer "S/T" US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Rush CD Counterparts (USA 1st Edition Anthem) US $4.95 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Rush CD Power Windows (Germany 1st Edition-Exc!) US $8.31 Buy It Now 6h 51m
BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE II rush 657640 6 near mint disc dutch 1991 12" PS EX/EX sos US $23.79 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Y?N-VEE chocolate 12 RAL 2 uk island/rush associated labels 1994 12" PS EX/EX US $15.10 Buy It Now 6h 54m
THE BYRDS DJ 45 "Goin' Back" (Special Rush Reservice) Rare Rocker US $3.50 [0 bids]
Rush CD Permanent Waves (Remastered) US $6.30 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Rush POWER WINDOWS 1985 UK Vertigo VERH 31 12" A/1 B/1 Lee Lifeson US $38.60 Buy It Now 7h
RUSH CD Show Of Hands (USA 1st Edition) US $7.98 Buy It Now 7h
NEW - Retrospective 1 by Rush US $33.98 Buy It Now 7h 3m
RUSH LP-" SIGNALS " - MERCURY 6337243 US $1.66 [0 bids]
RUSH**CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR**3 CD SET US $19.95 Buy It Now 7h 4m
DEBBIE HARRY / RUSH RUSH / 1984 GERMAN 7" P/S US $5.02 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Rush Live RSR Rock Solid Records NYC 1974 Pig Electric Ladyland Studio LFELS74 US $24.95 [1 bids]
RUSH CHRONICLES 2CD FATBOX US $15.10 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Pearlean Gray Don't Rush Me Baby Let Them Talk Northern Soul DJ 45 7" DCP US $2.98 [0 bids]
Ann Margret - Love Rush 12" Ocean VG+ US $7.00 Buy It Now 7h 33m
RUSH EXIT STAGE LEFT RCA MUSIC ISSUE VG++ HEAR IT US $22.00 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Jennifer Rush - Rush, Jennifer (Cassette 1990) US $3.51 Buy It Now 7h 52m
VINTAGE ORIGINAL1974 RUSH #1 {WORKING MAN} 33 LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
Rush PERMANENT WAVES Rare 1980 US Mercury Import 12" LP SRM 1-4001 Lee Lifeson US $38.60 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour (3CD 2013) arena rock Brand New & Sealed US $7.99 [0 bids]
Debbbie Harry RUSH RUSH European 45PS 1983 Al Pacino SCARFACE US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Rush [Original Score] by Eric Clapton (CD, Jan-1992, Reprise) US $0.99 Buy It Now 8h 12m
A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay (CD, Aug-2002, Capitol) US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Wicked Scratch Volume 1 - RUSH-003 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Freak Power(12"Vinyl)Rush-UK-12 BRW 291-4th & Broadway-Ex/VG US $10.06 Buy It Now 8h 30m
RUSH HOUR 3 PLANE UP FOR IT DOUBLE LP US $5.04 Buy It Now 8h 31m
FRANK MARINO & MAHOGANY RUSH Tales of the Unexpected COLUMBIA 1975 VG/EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 39m
Big Time Rush, Elevate Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
NRG RUSH (1998) CD Marc Andrews hi-nrg gay interest euro house Klone US $13.42 Buy It Now 8h 42m
WENDELL HARRISON / MAMA'S LICKING STICK - RUSH & HUSTLE NEW CD US $20.87 Buy It Now 8h 45m
LOGAN ENGLISH - THE DAYS OF '49: SONGS OF THE GOLD RUSH - NEW CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 8h 52m
SUGAR RUSH BEAT COMPANY JESUS COME NEAR CD SINGLE BB3 US $2.10 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Billy Eckstine "Fools Rush In/Blue Moon" Original 78 RPM US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Bobby Rush "A Man Can Give It/Ain't That Good Lovin'" Original 45 RPM US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Bobby Rush "I'm Gone/Before Sex" 45 RPM w/ Jukebox Strip, Urgent US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Shelly Thunder Man A Rush Me JA 7"Dancehall Music Master.b/w Accapella Mix Witty US $6.70 Buy It Now 9h 5m
OTIS RUSH**MOURNING IN THE MORNING**VINYL US $25.50 Buy It Now 9h 8m
OTIS RUSH**COLD DAY IN HELL**VINYL US $17.95 Buy It Now 9h 8m

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) ratings distribution

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) reviews

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars Half of the fun!

Retrospective I, my first experience with the band that would later become my very favorite. This is a great collection of the band's best work from the mid 70s to 1980. Featuring all the hits and some of the more fan based songs, this is actually a rather daring compilation. Including the fantastic XANADU in it's 11:05 entirety as well as BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG and LA VILLA STRANGIATO, it's nice to see that many of the band's quintessential material represented, not just their hits or short songs.

1 or 2 songs from each of the albums from Rush through to Permanent Waves are represented, making quite a nice mix. The addition of the split 2112 OVERTURE and THE TEMPLES OF SYRINX is also interesting for the Rush completionist, as the 2112 suite is hardly ever split up into its individual tracks. Featuring some cool artwork and some surprisingly nice liner notes that outline who wrote each song and which album to find it on (with each album cover represented), this is actually one of the better compilations to be put together for a band. It's a shame that none of the band's 80s material is represented, but that's what Retrospective II is for. Not to mention that both albums would later be recycled and put together for the ''Gold'' compilation.

While there are definitely songs that I would've liked to see added, this is a good mix of the tracks that one needs to hear to get into the band. That said... the songs are each better in the context of their respective album anyways.

3 stars, a good place to start.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#163402) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars The Early Days of Rush. For newbie, this might be a good one to start. But if I imagine this box set has never been released and my friend ask me about the band, I would give him "Hemisphere" or "A Farewell To Kings" or "Permanent Waves" or "Moving Picture" as a start, instead of giving him a compilation album. Why? Because some of the band's tracks are epic like "2112" that should not be cut like the one presented here. I think that's the best way to introduce Rush, so that newbie will get the full picture of Rush music in a full set album.

In the case that you have not known the band yet and purchased this CD already, this is not bad at all. The tracks contain here are all great. "The Spirit of Radio" has been considered by Rush maniacs as the band's masterpiece. You will find similar hard driving energy with "Temple of Syrinx" and "Fly By Night". The best track for my taste is of course "La Villa Strangiato" which starts beautifully with classical guitar outfit followed by rockin' music. This is really cool. While you can also find track with good combination of acoustic and heavy stuffs through "The Trees" and "Closer to The Heart".

Overall, it's a good compilation even though it's actually hard to make compilation for Rush. I would recommend you to buy individual album. It's worth collecting. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#182245) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 12, 2008

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars The first of three compilation albums of Rush music is astounding in its breadth, even though it misses several far superior pieces. For obvious reasons, the lengthier tracks are shunned whenever compilations are made, as a higher number of tracks indicate a better value for the consumers. Yet whoever compiled this bargain had the good sense to maintain a few of the longer works in their complete forms rather than emasculate them, as had happened with "2112," which of course would not have been a good move anyway ( "2112" is not as marvelous as some claim, in my opinion). Rush has an expansive career, and it makes sense to chop down their work into three epochs (in fact, I think there are three epochs of Rush, and the designers of these compilations have them pretty much spot on here). The fact is, when it comes to compilations, there will almost always be complaints (the two words are practically false cognates), but Rush gets a good treatment here, as not only do their major 1970s hits get attention and prime placement in the track listing, but some of their most cherished works are present in full. In short, this is an excellent compilation for a casual Rush fan of almost any stripe.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#269620) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 04, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars Retrospective I (1974-1980) is a compilation album by Canadian progressive rock act Rush. As the title suggests the album covers Rush releases from 1974 to 1980. The album was released in 1997 with its companion album Retrospective II (1981- 1987).

There are 14 tracks on the album covering all 6 full-length studio albums released in the years 1974 - 1980. The compilation serves as a good entry point to the early part of Rush career but of course the edited version of 2112 doesnīt really do that epic track justice. I could have lived without a few of the tracks from the first three albums but thatīs an aquired taste and itīs hard to deny that Retrospective I (1974-1980) really serves its purpose well. A 3 star rating is warranted if you ask me, but thatīs mostly because Iīm not much of a fan of the early releases by Rush. Songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato and my favorite here Freewill are the highligts for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#273828) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Not bad, you can start here!

Rush may have been one of the first prog bands I knew, and more probably the first one I did not like, I believe maybe because I found the vocals annoying and maybe the music boring, maybe because I have never been fan of heavier music, compared to the music I like of course, but well, it probably took me 3 years to find in Hemispheres, that Rush album that really caught my attention and made me want to actually listen to their music.

Later, in a bargain I found this compilation, whose songs were at the moment pretty unknown to me, so despite I could say my starting point was Hemispheres, this Retrospective I, was the first album that got me to the band, because I could know songs (mostly their better known songs) from different early Rush albums, so it was in my opinion a nice introduction to the band.

Here, with 14 songs and 75 minutes of music you will have a taste of Rush music, from their early era (1974-80) when they had already released 7 albums such as Hemispheres, Caress of Still and Permanent Waves. So here you will listen to songs gathered from all those albums, for those who are not familiar with them, there are some albums from the same early era that sound really different to each other , so don't take for granted that you will listen to similar songs.

In Retrospective I, you will appreciate some well known songs (and good ones) such as "The Spirit of Radio"; "Xanadu", "By-tor and the Snow Dog"; "Closer to the Heart" or the beautiful "La Villa Strangiato".

It is a very nice compilation album, not a bad place to start if you are new to the band, though as always, I would recommend listening to a studio album first. My final grade, 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276547) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Retrospective I (1974-1980)' - Rush (Compilation)

To my knowledge, this is the only compilation of Rush's earlier material that more or less, gets it right. The idea of a 'best-of' playlist isn't to single out the most commercial and easy listening and put it on a new record, it is quite surprisingly, to show over the course of a single disc, what the band can do. Pulling out beautiful pieces like 'La Villa Strangiato' and 'Xanadu' is the right thing to do if a band wants to get new fans.

The first album seems a little under-represented here (where is 'Working Man' or 'In The Mood?') but that doesn't cross me as being a huge issue, due to the fact it wasn't a great album to begin with. From these first five albums are mixed up for the sake of flow, which is also a great thing to have that most compilations disregard entirely.

This is one of the better Rush compilations out there. A perfect thing to check out if you're not sure whether or not you like Rush, or are just a casual fan.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#285875) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010

2 stars This is a great collection of Canadian power trio's finest hour. Though, no collection can grasp their greatness, as a large amount of their greatness comes from ideals and atmospheres each individual album has. Therefore, this collection is simply a taste of what they're capable of. However, thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#96056) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, October 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Inexplicably, I'm gonna give this one only 3 stars. Why? Parts of it are kinda noisy, and the rating fits since much of the material isn't taken from their "classic" period, as on, say "Chronicles" (by far, the best Rush compilation) or "Retrospective 1981-1987". There's a lot of good stuff ... (read more)

Report this review (#80017) | Posted by sbrushfan | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Compilation albums for me are the best friends you have when you are travelling...As I said it's no use to buy something when it's more interesting to have the whole collection of records...But you know when I leave my home for some time I take some "The Bests of..." with me. This with its sis ... (read more)

Report this review (#21148) | Posted by Carlos | Friday, February 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I just bought this album, eight years (omg time flies!) since the deliciously organic in spots, but overall Mediocre, Test for Echo. I really enjoyed hearing all the great songs I remembered from collecting Rush albums during high school in the early 90's. This collection of greats made me wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#21147) | Posted by | Monday, July 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Retrospective I (1974-1980)"