RETROSPECTIVE I (1974-1980)

Rush Retrospective I (1974-1980) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy RUSH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

1. The spirit of radio (4:56)
2. The trees (4:42)
3. Something for nothing (3:59)
4. Freewill (5:21)
5. Xanadu (11:04)
6. Bastille Day (4:37)
7. By-Tor and the snow dog (8:37)
8. Anthem (4:21)
9. Closer to the heart (2:51)
10. 2112: overture (4:17)
11. temples of Syrinx (2:13)
12. La Villa Strangiato (9:34)
13. Fly by night (3:21)
14. Finding my way (5:06)

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) lyrics

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) tabs

- Geddy Lee / basses, bass pedals, synthesizers, vocals
- Alex Lifeson / guitars, bass pedals
- Neil Peart / drums, percussion
- John Rutsey / drums, backing vocals (14)

CD, Retrospective I, Anthem, ANSSD-1087, 1997

and to UMUR for the last updates

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) Music

Moving PicturesMoving Pictures
21122112
Island / Mercury 1997
The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
Clockwork AngelsClockwork Angels
Roadrunner Records 2012
PrestoPresto
Hybrid SACD - DSD
Audio Fidelity 2014
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
Mercury 1997
Vapor Trails (Remixed)Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Rhino 2013
HemispheresHemispheres
A Farewell to KingsA Farewell to Kings
RushRush
Island / Mercury 1997
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush(Vinyl LP)Live-CBS-CBS 82621-UK-VG+/NM US $20.99 Buy It Now 39m 32s
BOBBY RUSH - I WANNA DO THE DO 7" VINYL US $10.17 Buy It Now 41m 33s
Sally Whitwell - Mad Rush: Solo Piano Music Of Philip Glass (NEW CD) US $25.02 Buy It Now 43m 10s
Rush - Feedback LP Gatefold US $199.99 Buy It Now 45m 10s
RUSH Official Uni-Sex Full Zipped Jacket Various Sizes METALLIC STARMAN US $39.02 Buy It Now 49m 33s
BOW WOW WOW - FOOLS RUSH IN 7" VINYL PS US $12.71 Buy It Now 52m 23s
45rpm OTIS RUSH Violent Love / My Love Will Never Die COBRA 5005 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Rush Record Store Day Caravan BU2B 7" factory sealed LP red vinyl - VERY RARE US $57.99 [0 bids]
BROOK BENTON - FOOLS RUSH IN 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 1h 7m
RUSH - 1992 Double Page Magazine Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $7.08 Buy It Now 1h 16m
TERRY JACK'S / MERRILEE RUSH ; TWO-FLASHBACK 45RPM RECORDINGS US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Old School RUSH Cassettes Roll the bones, Fly by night, Exit stage left Lot of 3 US $4.99 [1 bids]
HEAVEN'S CRY - PRIMAL POWER ADDICTION - CD NEW !!! VOIVOD, RUSH, DREAM THEATRE US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
SAM BLUES BAND LAY - RUSH HOUR BLUES NEW CD US $23.29 Buy It Now 1h 37m
RUSH Hemispheres Remastered CD NEW US $11.80 Buy It Now 1h 39m
NEW - Adrenaline Rush 2007 by Twista US $5.80 Buy It Now 1h 48m
CD RUSH All The World's A Stage SEALED! NEW! REMASTERED US $13.50 Buy It Now 1h 50m
RUSH Rare UK 1985 DOUBLE PACK 7" Single THE BIG MONEY US $13.56 Buy It Now 1h 52m
ED RUSH/OPTICAL Zardoz/Satellites ** orig. 1998 US $4.99 [0 bids]
RUSH GRACE UNDER PRESSURE LP IN OPEN SHRINK 1984 1ST PRESSING OOP NM/NM US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
RUSH VAPOR TRAILS LP VINYL NEW Remixed US $42.42 Buy It Now 2h
ED RUSH/OPTICAL Watermelon/Sick Note ** orig. issue 1999 US $4.99 [0 bids]
2h
Into the Rush by Aly & AJ (CD, Aug-2005, Hollywood) US $1.50 Buy It Now 2h
Vinyl! "Ladies Love Outlaws"-Tom Rush LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
ED RUSH/OPTICAL Gas Mask/Bacteria ** orig. issue 1999 US $4.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Rush Hour by Christopher Lawrence US $8.54 Buy It Now 2h 5m
TONY WILLIAMS LIFETIME Old Bum's Rush POLYDOR LP VG++/VG+ WLP US $8.00 [0 bids]
BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE II UK 1991 12" Single RUSH four mixes UNPLAYED US $6.77 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Moving Pictures 1981 Rush UK tour programme TOUR PROGRAMME UK Printed US $22.05 Buy It Now 2h 10m
RUSH Rush ReDISCovered 2014 UK 200g vinyl LP box set + download SEALED/NEW US $56.00 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Jennifer Rush ST NM Shrink Wrap Epic FE 40291 1984 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Rush Street by Richard Marx (CD, Jun-1992, Capitol) US $3.99 [0 bids]
HANK THOMPSON The Mark of a Heel b/w same AUDITION COPY Special Rush Reservice US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Rush - Archives First 3 Lps.. Rush,Fly By Night,Caress Of Steel US $30.00 [0 bids]
Rush Grace Under Pressure 1984 US PRESS STILL SEALED LP 818 476-1 M-1 US $60.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Mahogany Rush-World Anthem WLP Promo LP W/Timing Strip/ Insert/ Gold Stamp NM US $22.98 [0 bids]
Hear! Blues 45 Otis Rush - You Know My Love / I Can'T Stop Baby On Chess US $9.99 [0 bids]
Queen,Rush, lynyrd Skynyrd,Motley Crue, Whitesnake,Cassettes In Good Condition. US $9.99 [1 bids]
ITS ROCKING 2012 -(RAAZ 3,HOUSEFULL 2,COCKTAIL,JISM 2,RUSH) 2 CDBOLLYWOOD REMIX US $15.26 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Various Artists - Dance Energy (The Ultimate Adrenaline Rush) (CD 2007) US $6.77 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Rush Dem - Shaggy Wonder (7 inch Reggae Vinyl) US $18.50 Buy It Now 2h 41m
ar/ handmade greetings / birthday fathers day card music RUSH alex lifeson US $10.18 Buy It Now 2h 45m
ar/ handmade greetings / birthday fathers day card music RUSH ALEX LIFESON US $10.18 Buy It Now 2h 46m
ar/ handmade greetings / birthday fathers day card music RUSH GEDDY LEE BASS US $10.18 Buy It Now 2h 46m
RUSH Exit...Stage Left Remastered CD NEW US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 47m
9 CD Lot Rock U2 Jimi Hendrix Frank Sinatra Tom Rush Stranglers US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
RUSH THE BIG MONEY 7" 45 RECORD AND PICTURE SLEEVE MERCURY 884191 EX US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 59m
RUSH "EXIT....STAGE LEFT" MERCURY RECORDS STEREO SRM-2-7001 GATEFOLD EX/EX US $17.00 Buy It Now 2h 59m
BOBBY RUSH - SHOW YOU A GOOD TIME NEW CD US $18.66 Buy It Now 3h 3m
OPETH Ghost Reveries CD death metal rush dream theater prog rock iron maiden yes US $4.99 [0 bids]
Rush ~A Farewell to Kings~ + The big Money/Red Sector A (Live)~45 rpm US $17.50 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Rush "Permanent waves" and "A Show of hands"set of 2 vinyl records US $119.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
@ CD Rush - Presto / ATLANTIC RECORDS 1989 ORG US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
JENNIFER RUSH MADONNA'S EYES 1984 TWO TRACK 12" SINGLE IN GREAT PICTURE SLEEVE US $11.80 Buy It Now 3h 13m
WAYNE MIRAN & RUSH RELEASE - OH BABY - DANCE SOUL NM US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
NEW SEALED Kansas Song For America Expanded Remaster CD 2004 Epic rush elp styx US $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
1979 PUNK - THE STRANGLERS - DUCHESS / Fools Rush Out - UA36379 Pic Sleeve US $13.56 Buy It Now 3h 16m
JENNIFER RUSH - Heart Over Mind ORIG CD FREEPOST UK !! US $15.26 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Rush - Power Windows Album US $20.00 [0 bids]
RUSH - THE RISE OF KINGS - SIDVD578 US $22.12 Buy It Now 3h 26m
@ CD Rush - Moving Pictures REMASTER / MERCURY RECORDS 1981 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Rush - Clockwork Angels [2 LP] (180 Gram)- SEALED Vinyl US $32.00 Buy It Now 3h 31m
OTIS RUSH 'All Your Love / My Baby's Good'un 7" Magic Sam buddy guy chess cobra US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Rock Promo 45 TOM RUSH Sweet Baby James on Columbia (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
COLDPLAY - RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD NEW CD US $19.43 Buy It Now 3h 44m
RUSH - MOVING PICTURES NEW CD US $15.57 Buy It Now 3h 44m
FRANK MARINO & MAHOGANY RUSH - LIVE 1989 US CD * NEW * US $11.87 Buy It Now 3h 48m
FRANK MARINO & MAHOGANY RUSH - TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED 2008 US CD * NEW * US $11.87 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Rush - Signals -1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Brand New & Official In Sealed Box US $22.90 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Live by Frank Marino (Guitar)/Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush/Mahogany Rush (CD,... US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
ERIC CLAPTON - RUSH SOUNDTRACK DEREK DOMINOS CREAM HENDRIX US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
ENERGY RUSH 11 - VAR. ARTISTS - MINT CD - 1994 - IMPORT US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h
Vapor Trails by Rush (CD, 2002, Atlantic (Label)) US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h
Rush Street by Richard Marx (CD, Nov-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h
Roll the Bones [Remaster] by Rush (CD, Aug-2004, Atlantic (Label)) US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Presto by Rush (CD, Nov-1989, Atlantic) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Rush,Otis - Right Place Wrong Time [Vinyl New] US $33.93 Buy It Now 4h 16m
One Monkey Don't Stop No Show by Bobby Rush~CD~Dec-1995~Waldoxy Records US $4.99 [0 bids]
Rock 45 MERRILEE RUSH & THE TURNABOUTS Angel Of The Morning on Bell US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 21m
RUSH - RUSH NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Rush - 2112 CD + Audio Blu-Ray SUPER Deluxe Edition US $59.00 Buy It Now 4h 29m
Etta James R&B SOUL 45 Next Door to the Blues / Fools Rush In US $11.98 Buy It Now 4h 31m
LIBRARY INSTRUMENTAL HITS rush hour LP VG+ UTVR 11 775 Vinyl Record US $75.00 Buy It Now 4h 41m
MARINO FRANK & MAHAGONY RUSH - FROM THE HIP - MIG20092 US $20.44 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Twista - Adrenaline Rush 2007 - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! Gold DJ Stamp US $6.47 Buy It Now 4h 55m
MARINO FRANK & MAHOGANY RUSH - FULL CIRCLE - MIG20082 US $19.95 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Neil Young 2xLP Harvest STERLING + After The Gold Rush ARTISAN Gatefold RE1 WOW! US $8.70 [0 bids]
MARINO FRANK & MAHAGONY RUSH - DOUBLE LIVE - MIG20102 US $21.80 Buy It Now 5h
RUSH TIME MACHINE FRAME T SHIRT PHOTO GLASS NOT RECORD OR LP 45 USED SHIRT LOOK! US $89.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Rock 45 MERRILEE RUSH Sunshine & Roses on Bell US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Mr Spliff Vs Capricorn - Rush Me - Ru Recordings #35299 US $8.47 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Rush A Farewell To Kings CD Rock Album Music Brand New US $11.87 Buy It Now 5h 15m
RUSH - POWER WINDOWS NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 5h 17m
RUSH - SIGNALS NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 5h 18m
RUSH - EXIT STAGE LEFT NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 5h 18m
RUSH - WORKING MEN NEW DVD US $21.37 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Rush Permanent Waves CD Rock Album Music Brand New US $11.87 Buy It Now 5h 20m
A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay (CD, Aug-2002, Capitol) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rush - 2112 (1997) Remastered Edition {CD Album} CB0314 US $8.47 Buy It Now 5h 23m

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) ratings distribution

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) reviews

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars Half of the fun!

Retrospective I, my first experience with the band that would later become my very favorite. This is a great collection of the band's best work from the mid 70s to 1980. Featuring all the hits and some of the more fan based songs, this is actually a rather daring compilation. Including the fantastic XANADU in it's 11:05 entirety as well as BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG and LA VILLA STRANGIATO, it's nice to see that many of the band's quintessential material represented, not just their hits or short songs.

1 or 2 songs from each of the albums from Rush through to Permanent Waves are represented, making quite a nice mix. The addition of the split 2112 OVERTURE and THE TEMPLES OF SYRINX is also interesting for the Rush completionist, as the 2112 suite is hardly ever split up into its individual tracks. Featuring some cool artwork and some surprisingly nice liner notes that outline who wrote each song and which album to find it on (with each album cover represented), this is actually one of the better compilations to be put together for a band. It's a shame that none of the band's 80s material is represented, but that's what Retrospective II is for. Not to mention that both albums would later be recycled and put together for the ''Gold'' compilation.

While there are definitely songs that I would've liked to see added, this is a good mix of the tracks that one needs to hear to get into the band. That said... the songs are each better in the context of their respective album anyways.

3 stars, a good place to start.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#163402) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars The Early Days of Rush. For newbie, this might be a good one to start. But if I imagine this box set has never been released and my friend ask me about the band, I would give him "Hemisphere" or "A Farewell To Kings" or "Permanent Waves" or "Moving Picture" as a start, instead of giving him a compilation album. Why? Because some of the band's tracks are epic like "2112" that should not be cut like the one presented here. I think that's the best way to introduce Rush, so that newbie will get the full picture of Rush music in a full set album.

In the case that you have not known the band yet and purchased this CD already, this is not bad at all. The tracks contain here are all great. "The Spirit of Radio" has been considered by Rush maniacs as the band's masterpiece. You will find similar hard driving energy with "Temple of Syrinx" and "Fly By Night". The best track for my taste is of course "La Villa Strangiato" which starts beautifully with classical guitar outfit followed by rockin' music. This is really cool. While you can also find track with good combination of acoustic and heavy stuffs through "The Trees" and "Closer to The Heart".

Overall, it's a good compilation even though it's actually hard to make compilation for Rush. I would recommend you to buy individual album. It's worth collecting. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#182245) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 12, 2008

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars The first of three compilation albums of Rush music is astounding in its breadth, even though it misses several far superior pieces. For obvious reasons, the lengthier tracks are shunned whenever compilations are made, as a higher number of tracks indicate a better value for the consumers. Yet whoever compiled this bargain had the good sense to maintain a few of the longer works in their complete forms rather than emasculate them, as had happened with "2112," which of course would not have been a good move anyway ( "2112" is not as marvelous as some claim, in my opinion). Rush has an expansive career, and it makes sense to chop down their work into three epochs (in fact, I think there are three epochs of Rush, and the designers of these compilations have them pretty much spot on here). The fact is, when it comes to compilations, there will almost always be complaints (the two words are practically false cognates), but Rush gets a good treatment here, as not only do their major 1970s hits get attention and prime placement in the track listing, but some of their most cherished works are present in full. In short, this is an excellent compilation for a casual Rush fan of almost any stripe.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#269620) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 04, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars Retrospective I (1974-1980) is a compilation album by Canadian progressive rock act Rush. As the title suggests the album covers Rush releases from 1974 to 1980. The album was released in 1997 with its companion album Retrospective II (1981- 1987).

There are 14 tracks on the album covering all 6 full-length studio albums released in the years 1974 - 1980. The compilation serves as a good entry point to the early part of Rush career but of course the edited version of 2112 doesnīt really do that epic track justice. I could have lived without a few of the tracks from the first three albums but thatīs an aquired taste and itīs hard to deny that Retrospective I (1974-1980) really serves its purpose well. A 3 star rating is warranted if you ask me, but thatīs mostly because Iīm not much of a fan of the early releases by Rush. Songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato and my favorite here Freewill are the highligts for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#273828) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Not bad, you can start here!

Rush may have been one of the first prog bands I knew, and more probably the first one I did not like, I believe maybe because I found the vocals annoying and maybe the music boring, maybe because I have never been fan of heavier music, compared to the music I like of course, but well, it probably took me 3 years to find in Hemispheres, that Rush album that really caught my attention and made me want to actually listen to their music.

Later, in a bargain I found this compilation, whose songs were at the moment pretty unknown to me, so despite I could say my starting point was Hemispheres, this Retrospective I, was the first album that got me to the band, because I could know songs (mostly their better known songs) from different early Rush albums, so it was in my opinion a nice introduction to the band.

Here, with 14 songs and 75 minutes of music you will have a taste of Rush music, from their early era (1974-80) when they had already released 7 albums such as Hemispheres, Caress of Still and Permanent Waves. So here you will listen to songs gathered from all those albums, for those who are not familiar with them, there are some albums from the same early era that sound really different to each other , so don't take for granted that you will listen to similar songs.

In Retrospective I, you will appreciate some well known songs (and good ones) such as "The Spirit of Radio"; "Xanadu", "By-tor and the Snow Dog"; "Closer to the Heart" or the beautiful "La Villa Strangiato".

It is a very nice compilation album, not a bad place to start if you are new to the band, though as always, I would recommend listening to a studio album first. My final grade, 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276547) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Retrospective I (1974-1980)' - Rush (Compilation)

To my knowledge, this is the only compilation of Rush's earlier material that more or less, gets it right. The idea of a 'best-of' playlist isn't to single out the most commercial and easy listening and put it on a new record, it is quite surprisingly, to show over the course of a single disc, what the band can do. Pulling out beautiful pieces like 'La Villa Strangiato' and 'Xanadu' is the right thing to do if a band wants to get new fans.

The first album seems a little under-represented here (where is 'Working Man' or 'In The Mood?') but that doesn't cross me as being a huge issue, due to the fact it wasn't a great album to begin with. From these first five albums are mixed up for the sake of flow, which is also a great thing to have that most compilations disregard entirely.

This is one of the better Rush compilations out there. A perfect thing to check out if you're not sure whether or not you like Rush, or are just a casual fan.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#285875) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010

2 stars This is a great collection of Canadian power trio's finest hour. Though, no collection can grasp their greatness, as a large amount of their greatness comes from ideals and atmospheres each individual album has. Therefore, this collection is simply a taste of what they're capable of. However, thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#96056) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, October 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Inexplicably, I'm gonna give this one only 3 stars. Why? Parts of it are kinda noisy, and the rating fits since much of the material isn't taken from their "classic" period, as on, say "Chronicles" (by far, the best Rush compilation) or "Retrospective 1981-1987". There's a lot of good stuff ... (read more)

Report this review (#80017) | Posted by sbrushfan | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Compilation albums for me are the best friends you have when you are travelling...As I said it's no use to buy something when it's more interesting to have the whole collection of records...But you know when I leave my home for some time I take some "The Bests of..." with me. This with its sis ... (read more)

Report this review (#21148) | Posted by Carlos | Friday, February 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I just bought this album, eight years (omg time flies!) since the deliciously organic in spots, but overall Mediocre, Test for Echo. I really enjoyed hearing all the great songs I remembered from collecting Rush albums during high school in the early 90's. This collection of greats made me wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#21147) | Posted by | Monday, July 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Retrospective I (1974-1980)"