RETROSPECTIVE I (1974-1980)

Rush Retrospective I (1974-1980) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy RUSH Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

1. The spirit of radio (4:56)
2. The trees (4:42)
3. Something for nothing (3:59)
4. Freewill (5:21)
5. Xanadu (11:04)
6. Bastille Day (4:37)
7. By-Tor and the snow dog (8:37)
8. Anthem (4:21)
9. Closer to the heart (2:51)
10. 2112: overture (4:17)
11. temples of Syrinx (2:13)
12. La Villa Strangiato (9:34)
13. Fly by night (3:21)
14. Finding my way (5:06)

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) lyrics

Search RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) tabs

- Geddy Lee / basses, bass pedals, synthesizers, vocals
- Alex Lifeson / guitars, bass pedals
- Neil Peart / drums, percussion
- John Rutsey / drums, backing vocals (14)

CD, Retrospective I, Anthem, ANSSD-1087, 1997

and to UMUR for the last updates

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) Music

21122112
Island / Mercury 1997
Moving PicturesMoving Pictures
Mercury 1997
The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
Island / Mercury 1997
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
Fly By NightFly By Night
Mercury 1997
Vapor Trails (Remixed)Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Rhino 2013
NEIL YOUNG after the gold rush LP VG- W/poster RS 6383 Reprise 1970 Stereo USA US $20.00 Buy It Now 31m 38s
Hear 'n Aid + Inner *MINT* LP Motorhead Rush Kiss Dio Scorpions Mercury 1986 NM US $24.57 Buy It Now 38m 34s
After the Gold Rush by Neil Young (CD, Jul-1987, Reprise) US $0.99 [1 bids]
39m 3s
Rush "Hemispheres" US $4.99 [1 bids]
49m 6s
Rush - All The World's A Stage (Remastered) US $6.00 Buy It Now 52m 9s
Break by Enchant (CD, Jan-1998, Inside Out Music) RUSH/MARILLION/DREAM THEATER US $9.99 [0 bids]
52m 36s
Rush - Exit...Stage Left (Remastered) US $6.00 Buy It Now 52m 55s
Rush eight track tape US $4.00 [0 bids]
59m 50s
PAULA ABDUL 12" PICTURE DISC RUSH RUSH IN GF SLEEVE RARE VINYL PICTURE RECORD US $13.09 Buy It Now 1h
Rush - Spirit Of The Airwaves (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $34.40 Buy It Now 1h 8m
YOU CAN'T STOP THE BUM RUSH - BY MUMBLE.C - CD - US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Rush Street by Richard Marx (CD, Nov-1991, Capitol/EMI Records) US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
OTIS RUSH-BLUES INTERACTION LIVE IN JAPAN 1986 WITH BREAK DOWN-JAPAN CD E25 US $23.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Nicolai Dunger - Soul Rush (CD '02) GREAT shape. Comes complete! US $4.50 [0 bids]
Icon: Rush US $6.39 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Rush "Hold Your Fire" US $4.99 [1 bids]
DOWN BEAT April 7,1977 ~ Sonny Rollins-Cvr,Otis Rush ~ Chicago Jazz Magazine US $6.99 [0 bids]
Roll the Bones by Rush (CD, Sep-1991, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Brian May "Theme From "Rush" Classic Aussie TV Theme7" US $7.19 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Stephanie Mills - You're Puttin' a Rush on Me (1980) LP (G) 12" US $14.96 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Rush - Entre Nous Mercury promotional 12 inch single US $47.00 [22 bids]
Cold Day in Hell by Otis Rush (CD, Jul-1992, Delmark Records) Like New! US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Set of 4 Rush CDs: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Power Windows US $15.00 [0 bids]
RUSH vs FRANCESCO BERGOMI - Quorum - 12" US $17.19 Buy It Now 1h 48m
One Big Rush: The Genius of Joe Satriani by Joe Satriani (CD, Nov-2002, Sony... US $4.50 [0 bids]
Paula Abdul - Rush, Rush (Cassette Single, Virgin) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Job lot of 6 x MINT 7" singles RUSH SCHENKER clear vinyl GIRL STYX red vinyl US $24.57 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Moving Pictures by Rush , Mercury) US $0.99 [0 bids]
2h
8 track lot KISS Rock and Roll over Kansas Iron Butterfly Neil Young Gold Rush US $24.99 [0 bids]
2h
Rush A Show Of Hands French Vertigo Cd US $3.26 [1 bids]
Retrospective, Vol. 1 (1974-1980) by Rush (CD, May-1997, Mercury) US $4.50 [0 bids]
Rush - The Spirit Of Radio/2112 2 Tracks Sampler [Promo CD] 20+ Min. of Music US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
RUN FOR COVER - A TRIBUTE TO RUSH - NEW CD US $10.16 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Tom Rush // Rush US $19.99 [0 bids]
BROOK BENTON 45 FOOLS RUSH IN WITH PICTURE SLEEVE - MERCURY VG++ US $1.00 [0 bids]
RUSH GRACE UNDER PRESSURE LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
CD ALBUM ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RUSH - ERIC CLAPTON US $1.62 [0 bids]
Otis Rush:Screamin' and Cryin'/Black and Blue NM orig pressing/blues US $19.99 [0 bids]
Rush [Original Score] by Eric Clapton (CD, Jan-1992, Reprise) US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
2112 [Remaster] by Rush (CD, May-1997, Mercury) US $2.49 [0 bids]
(listen) WOW : What A Rush - Volume 8 CD - 2002 - NEW US $1.64 [0 bids]
SPEEDY J - BUGMOD - DJ RUSH RMX - TECHNO 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour (3CD 2013) 31 trks Brand New & Sealed US $7.99 [0 bids]
Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour [3CD 2013] hard rock Brand New & Sealed US $7.99 [1 bids]
Rush Street Richard Marx CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 38m
TOM RUSH LP THE CIRCLE GAME US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
RUSH - PERMANENT WAVES MERCURY 1980 VG+/VG+ 9100071 UK US $6.54 [0 bids]
Jennifer Rush Ring of Ice CBS A4745 7" Single US $2.46 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Tom Rush - No Regrets-Very Best Of Tom Ru [CD New] US $5.85 Buy It Now 2h 56m
1M AGP 107 GARAGE FOLK SOUL MERRILEE RUSH REACH OUT LOVE STREET US $29.99 [0 bids]
Richard Marx Rush Street +1 Bonus Tracks Japan CD Album Rare US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Tales Of The Unexpected CBS LP 1979 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour - 4321129 US $28.25 Buy It Now 3h 2m
7"-Single THE ALASKA - Rush Gold (1970) MINT- PS US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Bobby Rush Rush Hour NM LP Canada US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Otis Rush - Mourning In The Morning [Vinyl New] US $28.53 Buy It Now 3h 4m
TOM RUSH - THE VERY BEST OF TOM RUSH: NO REGRETS - NEW CD US $6.55 Buy It Now 3h 5m
DEF JAM'S RUSH HOUR 2 - SOUNDTRACK - The Island Def Jam 2001 CD US $7.18 Buy It Now 3h 9m
TWSITA - ADRENALINE RUSH 2007 - GOLD STAMP PROMO-CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
MERRILEE RUSH: Merrilee Rush (rock & pop vinyl LP) cut corner, cover in shrink US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m
RUSH,TOM-VERY BEST OF TOM RUSH: NO REGRETS CD NEW US $9.56 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Rush R30 tour jacket VERY rare US $106.53 [0 bids]
RUSH**CARESS OF STEEL (RM)**CD US $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 34m
RUSH**FLY BY NIGHT (RM)**CD US $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Real Live! by Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (CD, Nov-2004, 2 Discs, Justin Time) US $14.05 Buy It Now 3h 35m
RUSH**HEMISPHERES (RM)**CD US $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Counterparts [Remaster] by Rush (CD, Aug-2004, Atlantic) US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
You Can't Stop the Bum Rush by Len (CD, May-1999, Work Group) US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
ETTA JAMES: Next Door To The Blues / Fools Rush In (soul vinyl 45) US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Into The Rush: Deluxe Edition by Aly & AJ (CD, Aug-2006, Hollywood) US $0.50 [0 bids]
Flowered Up 45 & PS It's On / Egg Rush (Rock) UK NM US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Different Stages: Live by Rush (CD, Nov-1998, Atlantic) Discs 2 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Rush, Otis, Ain't Enough Comin in Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show [PA] 1987 Cassette Rap US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Rush - Clockwork Angels- CD US $3.00 [0 bids]
Moving Pictures - Rush (CD, Jun-1997) Remastered XCLNT Condition FREE Shipping US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
RUSH Exit... Stage Left ORIGINAL 1981 MERCURY SRM-2-7001 2LP EX Geddy Lee/Peart US $7.00 [1 bids]
Rush Spirit of the Airwaves (Limited 2 x 180g Grey Vinyl-only 1,000!) US $37.68 Buy It Now 3h 53m
The Lovin'Spoonful What's Shakin'Tom Rush/Eric Clapton/Al Kooper LP US PRESS VG US $3.65 [0 bids]
Tom Rush New Year US $2.25 [2 bids]
kareem rush cds hold you down--3 mixes promo US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h
Sector 2 [Box] by Rush (CD, Nov-2011, 6 Discs, Mercury) Mint,Complete,No Reserve US $24.99 [1 bids]
4h
EVERON - PARADOXES - CASSETTE (Rush, Saga, Dream Theater, Opeth) US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h
Rush [Original Score] by Eric Clapton (CD, Jan-1992, Reprise) MUSIC US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
TONY MARTIN 2 cassettes 'FOOLS RUSH IN' and 'TONY MARTIN LIVE' very good shape US $0.99 [0 bids]
NEIL YOUNG after the gold rush LP VG W/poster RS 6383 Reprise 1970 Stereo USA US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 8m
A . RUSH SONG / THE ONE . Limited edition vinyl RARE MINT CONDITION . 2005 US $6.54 [0 bids]
RICHARD MARX-Rush Street-Billy Joel-LUTHER VANDROSS-new US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
RUSH Hemisphere (1978 12" Picture Disc, Mercury SRP-1300) SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
MAGIC SAM/OTIS RUSH/ - SNAKEBITE [MAGIC SAM/OTIS RUSH/BUDDY GUY] - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.05 Buy It Now 4h 18m
RUSH RUSH THROUGH TIME MADE IN HOLLAND MERCURY RECORDS ROCK VINYL RECORD US $2.99 [0 bids]
70 GREAT CLASSIC ROCK CASSETTES LOT - LED ZEP RUSH VAN HALEN DEEP PURPLE US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
ROGER SAUNDERS RUSH Album ex Freedom SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
RUSH - A Farewell To Kings, ORIGINAL 1977 UK LP / inner ..... EX US $8.18 [1 bids]
Rush Through Time LP 6337 171 1982 German US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
surf 45 THE FROGMEN Underwater, The Mad Rush CANDIX US $6.95 Buy It Now 4h 31m
RUSH 2 CASSETTES SIGNALS AND CHRONICLES TAPE I US $4.98 [0 bids]
TOM RUSH Take A Little Walk With Me SEALED Elektra EKS-7308, Folk Rock, Country US $50.00 Buy It Now 4h 37m
TAYLOR DAYNE 12" 4 MIXES "DON'T RUSH ME" VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
FRANK MARINO / MAHOGANY RUSH - REAL LIVE (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $26.65 Buy It Now 4h 39m

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) ratings distribution

RUSH Retrospective I (1974-1980) reviews

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars Half of the fun!

Retrospective I, my first experience with the band that would later become my very favorite. This is a great collection of the band's best work from the mid 70s to 1980. Featuring all the hits and some of the more fan based songs, this is actually a rather daring compilation. Including the fantastic XANADU in it's 11:05 entirety as well as BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG and LA VILLA STRANGIATO, it's nice to see that many of the band's quintessential material represented, not just their hits or short songs.

1 or 2 songs from each of the albums from Rush through to Permanent Waves are represented, making quite a nice mix. The addition of the split 2112 OVERTURE and THE TEMPLES OF SYRINX is also interesting for the Rush completionist, as the 2112 suite is hardly ever split up into its individual tracks. Featuring some cool artwork and some surprisingly nice liner notes that outline who wrote each song and which album to find it on (with each album cover represented), this is actually one of the better compilations to be put together for a band. It's a shame that none of the band's 80s material is represented, but that's what Retrospective II is for. Not to mention that both albums would later be recycled and put together for the ''Gold'' compilation.

While there are definitely songs that I would've liked to see added, this is a good mix of the tracks that one needs to hear to get into the band. That said... the songs are each better in the context of their respective album anyways.

3 stars, a good place to start.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#163402) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 07, 2008

Review by Gatot
3 stars The Early Days of Rush. For newbie, this might be a good one to start. But if I imagine this box set has never been released and my friend ask me about the band, I would give him "Hemisphere" or "A Farewell To Kings" or "Permanent Waves" or "Moving Picture" as a start, instead of giving him a compilation album. Why? Because some of the band's tracks are epic like "2112" that should not be cut like the one presented here. I think that's the best way to introduce Rush, so that newbie will get the full picture of Rush music in a full set album.

In the case that you have not known the band yet and purchased this CD already, this is not bad at all. The tracks contain here are all great. "The Spirit of Radio" has been considered by Rush maniacs as the band's masterpiece. You will find similar hard driving energy with "Temple of Syrinx" and "Fly By Night". The best track for my taste is of course "La Villa Strangiato" which starts beautifully with classical guitar outfit followed by rockin' music. This is really cool. While you can also find track with good combination of acoustic and heavy stuffs through "The Trees" and "Closer to The Heart".

Overall, it's a good compilation even though it's actually hard to make compilation for Rush. I would recommend you to buy individual album. It's worth collecting. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#182245) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 12, 2008

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars The first of three compilation albums of Rush music is astounding in its breadth, even though it misses several far superior pieces. For obvious reasons, the lengthier tracks are shunned whenever compilations are made, as a higher number of tracks indicate a better value for the consumers. Yet whoever compiled this bargain had the good sense to maintain a few of the longer works in their complete forms rather than emasculate them, as had happened with "2112," which of course would not have been a good move anyway ( "2112" is not as marvelous as some claim, in my opinion). Rush has an expansive career, and it makes sense to chop down their work into three epochs (in fact, I think there are three epochs of Rush, and the designers of these compilations have them pretty much spot on here). The fact is, when it comes to compilations, there will almost always be complaints (the two words are practically false cognates), but Rush gets a good treatment here, as not only do their major 1970s hits get attention and prime placement in the track listing, but some of their most cherished works are present in full. In short, this is an excellent compilation for a casual Rush fan of almost any stripe.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#269620) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 04, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars Retrospective I (1974-1980) is a compilation album by Canadian progressive rock act Rush. As the title suggests the album covers Rush releases from 1974 to 1980. The album was released in 1997 with its companion album Retrospective II (1981- 1987).

There are 14 tracks on the album covering all 6 full-length studio albums released in the years 1974 - 1980. The compilation serves as a good entry point to the early part of Rush career but of course the edited version of 2112 doesnīt really do that epic track justice. I could have lived without a few of the tracks from the first three albums but thatīs an aquired taste and itīs hard to deny that Retrospective I (1974-1980) really serves its purpose well. A 3 star rating is warranted if you ask me, but thatīs mostly because Iīm not much of a fan of the early releases by Rush. Songs like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato and my favorite here Freewill are the highligts for me.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#273828) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Not bad, you can start here!

Rush may have been one of the first prog bands I knew, and more probably the first one I did not like, I believe maybe because I found the vocals annoying and maybe the music boring, maybe because I have never been fan of heavier music, compared to the music I like of course, but well, it probably took me 3 years to find in Hemispheres, that Rush album that really caught my attention and made me want to actually listen to their music.

Later, in a bargain I found this compilation, whose songs were at the moment pretty unknown to me, so despite I could say my starting point was Hemispheres, this Retrospective I, was the first album that got me to the band, because I could know songs (mostly their better known songs) from different early Rush albums, so it was in my opinion a nice introduction to the band.

Here, with 14 songs and 75 minutes of music you will have a taste of Rush music, from their early era (1974-80) when they had already released 7 albums such as Hemispheres, Caress of Still and Permanent Waves. So here you will listen to songs gathered from all those albums, for those who are not familiar with them, there are some albums from the same early era that sound really different to each other , so don't take for granted that you will listen to similar songs.

In Retrospective I, you will appreciate some well known songs (and good ones) such as "The Spirit of Radio"; "Xanadu", "By-tor and the Snow Dog"; "Closer to the Heart" or the beautiful "La Villa Strangiato".

It is a very nice compilation album, not a bad place to start if you are new to the band, though as always, I would recommend listening to a studio album first. My final grade, 3 stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#276547) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Retrospective I (1974-1980)' - Rush (Compilation)

To my knowledge, this is the only compilation of Rush's earlier material that more or less, gets it right. The idea of a 'best-of' playlist isn't to single out the most commercial and easy listening and put it on a new record, it is quite surprisingly, to show over the course of a single disc, what the band can do. Pulling out beautiful pieces like 'La Villa Strangiato' and 'Xanadu' is the right thing to do if a band wants to get new fans.

The first album seems a little under-represented here (where is 'Working Man' or 'In The Mood?') but that doesn't cross me as being a huge issue, due to the fact it wasn't a great album to begin with. From these first five albums are mixed up for the sake of flow, which is also a great thing to have that most compilations disregard entirely.

This is one of the better Rush compilations out there. A perfect thing to check out if you're not sure whether or not you like Rush, or are just a casual fan.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#285875) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010

2 stars This is a great collection of Canadian power trio's finest hour. Though, no collection can grasp their greatness, as a large amount of their greatness comes from ideals and atmospheres each individual album has. Therefore, this collection is simply a taste of what they're capable of. However, thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#96056) | Posted by Shakespeare | Saturday, October 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Inexplicably, I'm gonna give this one only 3 stars. Why? Parts of it are kinda noisy, and the rating fits since much of the material isn't taken from their "classic" period, as on, say "Chronicles" (by far, the best Rush compilation) or "Retrospective 1981-1987". There's a lot of good stuff ... (read more)

Report this review (#80017) | Posted by sbrushfan | Thursday, June 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Compilation albums for me are the best friends you have when you are travelling...As I said it's no use to buy something when it's more interesting to have the whole collection of records...But you know when I leave my home for some time I take some "The Bests of..." with me. This with its sis ... (read more)

Report this review (#21148) | Posted by Carlos | Friday, February 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I just bought this album, eight years (omg time flies!) since the deliciously organic in spots, but overall Mediocre, Test for Echo. I really enjoyed hearing all the great songs I remembered from collecting Rush albums during high school in the early 90's. This collection of greats made me wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#21147) | Posted by | Monday, July 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Retrospective I (1974-1980)"